Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

How It Ended

by Obsessed
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
How It Ended

How It Ended

by obsessed

TITLE: How It Ended
AUTHOR: obsessed
EMAIL:o_neill_obsessed@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Angst.
PAIRINGS: Sam and Jack, Daniel and Janet
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 2, Sequel to How It Started and How It Went Bad.
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Character Death
SUMMERY: Daniel knows how Becky must feel
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN THESE PEOPLE. I just really, really love them and am borrowing them.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: The cancer thing was inspired by watching Neighbours. That and the whole having Becky lying in her mothers dying arms has been in my head for months dying to be used. I felt sick when I wrote this and I feel sick having typed it up. Emotionally I mean. I think this is the first and last walk in the masochistic world of angst. Did you like this ending? I think it was a bit quick. Maybe I rushed it. Anyway I love a bit of feedback.

Janet sat at her desk and cried to herself over a sheet of paper in hands that were shaking badly. Daniel knocked on the door before going in, he was pale but when he saw her crying any remaining colour and life drained from his face.

"Janet, what's wrong?" he said rushing to her side. He wrapped his arms around her and she buried her head in his shoulder crying and shaking.

"Shush, shush" he said going down on her knees, rocking her back and forth gently. "What's wrong?" he tried again.

"Sam, Sam has cancer. It's terminal" she whispered. Daniel pushed her away to see her face.

"Oh god" he said. He pulled her close to him again and they both cried.

Having regained some composure, they made the journey over to the hospital where Sam was in total silence. It had taken them a little while to stop crying and were both afraid a change in state would set them off again. A pale and drawn Sam Carter greeted them with a smile that had once been full of life and hope but had been decreasingly so since Jack died and she'd become ill.

"Hey guys" she said. "Where's Rebecca?"

"With Teal'c" Daniel said. Sam smiled at the thought. The two got on strangely well and it made her laugh to see her cheeky daughter playing with the large and serious Jaffa. Her smile disappeared when she got a full look at Janet and saw she had been crying.

"I got the test results back this morning" Janet said. "I'm sorry Sam" she fought back tears. Sam didn't.

"Oh my little girl" she sobbed. Daniel, reluctantly letting go of Janet, went to her side and hugged her.

"We'll look after her." he said. "Me, Janet and Teal'c" Janet nodded. it was all she could do without crying. Sam smiled weakly.

"How long Janet?" she asked.

"Three months, maybe six. You've been hiding it, rather your body hides the symptoms. Even if it didn't we couldn't do much" she said crying softly.

"Who knows?"

"No one." Janet said. "Just us" she went to Daniels side and took her hand and his.

"We'll do all that Sam."

"Can you get Rebecca for me?" she asked.

When Sam died it broke my heart. Becky was just six years old. I can only imagine one thing worse, losing Janet. I've already lost so much but I have her. The overall picture of it was gut wrenching. Janet couldn't stand it as we stood hand in hand at the side of her bed. In Sam's arms lay Rebecca, sleeping peacefully half on her dying mother. Jacob sat in the chair his eyes carefully watching Sam's every move. Not that she made any for that last hour or so, she slipped into unconsciousness, smiling at her daughter.

When the heart monitor stopped no one moved to do anything. Janet held onto me tightly, Jacob buried his head in his hands to cry and in the end it was Teal'c who made the move.

"Goodbye Samantha Carter" he said. He kissed her on the forehead and lifted Rebecca from her arms and cradled the child. Jacob stood as Selmak took over. Selmak nodded. Janet began to cry and Daniel held her, fighting back tears of his own, to be strong for her. Jacob took over again.

"I'll be back" he said, starting for the door.

"Teal-cur?" Rebecca said. Jacob stopped and took the girl from Teal'c.

"Gramps" she smiled.

"Mommy, your mom has gone to be with daddy Rebecca" he said. In his arms she struggled violently to be let go and he put her down. The girl went up to Sam and shook her.

"Mommy, mom wake up" she cried. She got up on the chair so she could climb on to the bed. She felt Sam's face and began to cry. She lay back in her arms. Selmak took over again and tried to pick her up.

"Come on Rebecca" he said in the distinct Tok'ra voice.

"No!" she screamed. "Leave me alone Selmak!"

"You have to leave her Rebecca" Selmak said. He picked her up, Becky having let him. Jacob took over and cradled the girl.

"I will go see the doctor" Teal'c said. He left the room. Jacob took the crying girl out of the room so they could sit quietly.

Daniel led Janet to Sam's side and stroked her hair. He smiled sorrowfully and kissed Sam, then Janet.

"Say hi to Jack for us" he said. "We'll look after Becky for you"

"Bye Sam" Janet whispered. She kissed her friend and dragged Daniel out of the room.

And that was the end. Selmak had to talk Jacob out of taking Rebecca back to live with the Tok'ra and Janet and I took her in. Once she cleared out her room she never went back to the house. If she can't find something then it doesn't matter, she doesn't need it. She spends a lot of tie with Teal'c, they don't play together as much anymore. They just sit quietly. She doesn't have a lot to say anymore and we accept that. I know it'll get a little better over time.

For the first time since Sam died we have some good news and we've already chose Becky as the baby's godmother and I think actually Becky is a little better. She genuinely enthusiastic about decorating the baby's room. I think we'll all be better with something to look forward. Look forward rather than back.

I hope so.

The end

and the beginning

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to obsessed