Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

One Final Moment, Or Two

by Jackwabbit
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
One Final Moment, Or Two

One Final Moment, Or Two

by jackwabbit

Summary: Jack POV During The Final Minutes of Lost City
Category: Angst, Missing Scene/Epilogue, POV, Thoughts
Episode Related: 721 Lost City
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Team
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/09/07

I can feel that I'm almost gone. Not much is left at all. I don't even know what's going on. I've lost track of where my team is. I heard Carter, barely, above the noise of what sounded like rushing water in my head. And then she was gone. I can't place her anymore. Daniel and Teal'c are lost, too. I know they're here, but I can't sense them, like I usually can. I almost always know where everyone in a room is, but they are simply gone. There's nothing except the noise and the light. Light everywhere, like I'm caught in a giant flashlight beam or a microscope belonging to some sadistic giant.
And then it happens. I can see everything. I see where the light is going, and what it's doing. I see the annihilation of death gliders and Al'Kesh. I see dead super soldiers. I see Anubis right before he dies. The little part of me that is left is primal, and I feel only one thing. Joy. A sadistic pleasure at the destruction of my enemy. I allow myself to revel in it. It's all I have left. I can't remember or feel anything else. Just this moment of victory. I want to share it, but I know that I can't, so I do the next best thing. I tell the thing in my head that is not me to shut the hell up for one moment and let me be a human being just one more time. Somehow, it lets me. My eyes snap open, and for one second, I am Jack O'Neill, victorious soldier, one last time.
And then I am gone.
I try to slip away quietly, but something won't let me. It shakes me, a little roughly. Despite the freezing cold I feel everywhere else, something on my face is warm. I can't react to it, and I don't know what it is, but it's familiar. I do the only thing I can to respond. I force open my eyes ever so slightly and with great effort.
What I see kills the tiny part of me that is still here. Carter. I do remember that much, even if I don't recall ever seeing her like this. My memory is certainly not trustworthy right now, though, so who knows? But, God, she's pleading with me. For what? I don't know! Carter, what do you want? I can't even move, so how can I help you? I'm dying, Carter! Leave me in peace. Just let me go. Stop looking at me like that!
I give up and the fatigue begins to overtake me. I can't help it. I'm sorry.
Suddenly, a thought that is not my own rises up from a recess of my brain like a phantom. I have no idea what it means, but I try to get it out, because it seems important. At first, it doesn't work, but I finally manage to find what I think is my voice.
"Dormata."
Was that me? It must have been, because suddenly I'm moving. It's not me, though. Someone is carrying me. He's familiar, too. He sets me in a closet and steps back. I can see him now. T something...TEAL'C! And Daniel's here, too. I know you. I love you. All of you. I am still here, but I have to go now. I can feel you fading from me like fog in the sun. My grasp on who you are and who I am is slipping. Forgive me. That little voice from the recess sends another thought my way, and all I can do is send it on, while the cold somehow gets even colder and envelops me.
"Aveo...amacus."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to jackwabbit