Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Vampire Slayer 10: Heartache

by Miss Wendy
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Heartache

Heartache

by Miss Wendy

TITLE: Heartache
AUTHOR: Miss Wendy
EMAIL: wendy.rhodes@ntlworld.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Series
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Nada nada nada. none at all
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; Part of Vampire Slayer series. 01 What Goes Bump In the Night 02 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun parts 1 and 2 03 The Virus 04 All Mighty and Powerful 05 Burning Passin 06 Afteshock 07 Aqua World 08 Gifts and Traditions 09 Captured
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: crossover, male/female relationship, violence
SUMMARY: Buffy struggles with Riley's departure, but every thing isn't what it seems when the Vampire Movemnt hits again.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Oh hi, guys. How are ya. I hope you enjoy my NEW one. Hey it's another one. Hello to all my friend who read my stories.

Jack O'Neill walks upto Joyce Sommers and helps her carry the tray of food. "Thank you." she said, as they put the food on the table. "Your such a gentleman." Jack grinned at Sam, who was seated at the table. Jack sat down at the table. "Where's Buffy?" asked Joyce.

"She's upstairs." replied Willow, looking at the others. They were all there.

"Still upset?" said Daniel

"Yeah." said Xander "Riley was no good, he couldn't have been."

"You know, we shouldn't be saying that, we should be helping her." said Sam, picking up Buffy's tray.

"Where ya going?" asked Jack.

"She needs to eat." said Sam, walking away, up the stairs.

Sam walked into Buffy's room without knocking. She saw laying on her stomach, with her legs swinging in the air. "I'm not hungry." said Buffy, Sam sat down and put the tray in front of herself.

"Who said it was for you?" she said, putting a forkful of vegetables in her mouth. Buffy sat up and watched her. "This is good." stated Sam. "It's your tray, though, are you sure you don't want any. Mine is downstairs." Buffy smiled. She took the tray of Sam and slowly put a fry in her mouth and slowly chewed on it.

Sam slowly walked upto Buffy and sat beside her. "Are you okay?" she asked

"No, not really." replied Buffy, sadly "I just...I wish I knew......why? I mean was I bad. Too hard...maybe I hurt him."

"Oh Buffy, I don't know why."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"I hope I have the answer." Buffy tucked her hair behind her ears and looked at Sam.

"Do you think...being a slayer that....it might have been that. Do you think it was because i couldn't give him a normal life?"

"Buffy he works in the intiative, how could he have a normal life. Plus you had thatverything in common." said Sam, trying desperately to help her.

"Do you think we'll ever have a normal relationship with men, or will our slaying duties always come in the way?"

"I can't answer that because I don't know, but that doesn't mean you stop trying."

"Sam?"

"Yeah."

"Are you....do you think that being a slayer makes it difficult to love."

"You mean you think that our being slayers has made us not quite so easy to love."

"Yeah."

"I don't believe so, as long as you have love to give, it should always be easy."

"Thank you."

"Come down stairs and stop mopping about. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, girl."

"You're right." Buffy stood up,and walked behind Sam.

The next day, Sam walked upto Joyce in the kitchen and helped her with the dishes. "Are you okay?" asked Sam,

"Yeah, I just wish that Buffy could find a man who would care for her and not leave her."

"She will, she needs to find that man in her own time."

"You're a nice girl, do you know that?"

"People have mentioned it to me before. " Sam grinned, and Joyce smiled.

When they had finished Giles walked in. "Hey? You come in now, they are clean." complained Sam

"Yeah, well you know me. " Giles said, choosing a stool to sit on. "I was wondering if you had contacted General Hammond to ask him if he knew anything about the initiative and if he could get inside information." Giles looked at her expectantly, she didn't give the answer he was looking for.

"No, not yet. I haven't had chance to get my phone from the car, sorry."

"It's okay, you can use my phone. As long as it's not a huge bill." said Joyce. Sam smiled at her and walked off, into the hall to use the phone.

When she came back, Giles looked at her, again with expectantcy. "What?" asked Sam

"Well?" he said, waving his hands in the air, trying to get the information out of her.

"He said he knows about them and he will see what he can do."

"That's good." said Giles. As Jack came in, looking slightly tired. "Did you not sleep?"

"Well he overslept instead." said Sam, grinning "He's going to have a headache now." she kissed him on the cheek and said "See ya, later." she then walked off. Jack just looked at Joyce, who passed him an orange juice and he looked at Giles. He then moaned and put his hands in his face. "Oh man."

Giles smiled and walked out. "Drink your juice, it'll help." said Joyce.

Jack sat in the passenger seat of the car, as Buffy stepped in the back with Daniel and Giles. Sam sat in the drivers seat, as it was her car. "Hey - mom, we'll be back soon, we promise." said Buffy. Jack turned to her and put his finger on his lips "Sssshhh, I have a headache." Sam smiled as she put the key in the ignition and started the engine. "Oh that engine is loud." groaned Jack. Daniel laughed "You're not laughing are ya Danny boy, coz if you are you will be in big trouble." said Jack, through gritted teeth.

"Of Course not Jack. I would never laugh." said Daniel, grinning.

"All I've found is out is that reports from that facility stopped about 3 days ago. A most recent report from a doctor stated that Riley Finn has apparently had a major shift in behaviour. He won't eat. That's all I've got. I'm sorry, Major." Hammond, finished as Sam and Giles stood in front of him in his office.

"I wonder why reports have stopped?" said Sam

"I wonder why Riley won't eat." said Giles

"Well maybe he IS upset about leaving Buffy." said Sam, suggestively

"I don't think so, he would still eat. At least a little. Anyway he has had a MAJOR shift in behaviour."

"True, maybe we should see him."

Sam walked upto the building where the initiative officers live. She stepped inside and walked upto Riley's room. She knocked heavily on the door and waited for an answer. When he opened the door, Sam felt an emptiness she wasn't expecting from him. Oh dear he was a vampire. "What do you want?"

"I was wondering why you left Buffy. But it doesn't matter." Riley looked at her and shut the door. At least she knew why he wouldn't eat his food, but that didn't explain why he didn't just eat her.

Sam walked into her's and Jack's house and found him in the kitchen "Hey, what you doing?" asked Sam, as she saw him, stuff some food in his mouth. "I'm .... eating." he said.

"What are you eating?"

"Just some food. Where you been?"

"To see Riley. I have to go and see Giles too. But I came to tell you not to follow me, or come with me."

"Why?"

"Because......."

"That's not a good excuse."

"Jack, I just came to get some stuff."

"Oh okay, How's Riley?"

"He's....different." said Sam, pulling her bag out of his cupboard.

"I knew he would be. Why do you think he left her?"

"Why are you so inquisitive?"

"Oh it's just I was thinking that maybe he got scared."

"Why would he get scared?" she asked, putting the bag on her shoulder.

"Because she's tougher than he is. He may feel that his man hood is in danger."

"Okay I don't think that's why."

"Yeah but sometimesyoufrighten me.So maybe he was..." Sam put the bag on the floor and looked at him. "I FRIGHTEN YOU????"

"No, that's not what I meant."

"IT'S WHAT YOU SAID." she shouted

"I know that's what I said, but I meant when I see you fight. You're strong, and maybe Riley felt that Buffy was too strong for him."

"Jack. I'm STRONGER than she is. Do you feel I'm too strong for you."

"No. I meant Riley not me."

"What ever, don't follow me." She shouted angrily. and slammed the door behind, so hard that it bounced back and broke a pot that was on the wall. "What did I say??" asked Jack, to no one in particular.

Now back in Sunnydale Buffy stood next to Spike and held a stake at him "Tell me what you know about the Vampire Movement." shouted Buffy

"I can't tell you what I don't know." said Spike. annoyed with her insisitance that he knew something. Giles walked upto them and said "You know she'll stake you."

"Her hearts not in it. She too upset about FarmBoy." said Spike. Buffy looked at Spike and glared.

"Shut up." she shouted, the door opened and Sam walked in, with red eyes.

"When did you get back?" asked Xander

"I've been back and fourth all day."

"You have?" asked Giles

"Yeah. We need to get to the initiative." said Sam, urgently

"Why?" asked Buffy.

"Because I believe the Vampire Movement has gone there. Alot more people and demons."

"What leads you to that?" asked Giles

"It's Riley......he's er....he's a Vampire." Spike grinned at Buffy

"You knew didn't you?" said Buffy, at Spike.

"Hey, You never asked whether farm Boy was a Vampire, you wanted to know what I knew about a Vampire Movement, and I know nothing."

"He's lying." said Sam

"What makes you say that?" said Xander

"Oh come on, he's got a chip in his head, this movement may just be what he needs." explained Sam

"Sammie is right." said Spike "I want to join the movement, but I came here hoping you scoobies knew anything about it."

"Us?" said Xander

"Did you just call me Sammie?" asked Sam, Spike blushed and then quickly recovered, putting on an italian acent.

"Yeah, sweet heart I did. Have you been crying?" everybody looked at Sam

"No." she lied, miserably. "That's not the point. We need to go to the initiative, now. Me and Buffy. You guys stay here. If we're not back within 3 hours, get....Jack and " she looked at Spike "the rest of the team and come after us. Okay." ordered Sam

"Yeah, okay" said Xander. Buffy and Sam walke out. Leaving Giles to worry about both of them.

Daniel Jackson found himself exhausted. It had been A day, and it was only 14.00 hours. He'd come home from their stay at Buffy's just to find work waiting for him in his office. He was half way through his report on his findings when a very desperate Jack O'Neill ran into his office, wearing civies. "Daniel, have you seen Sam?"

"No, I haven't, all though I heard from Giles that she and Buffy have gone somewhere. So I'd say she is back in Sunnydale."

"Again?"

"Well...yeah. How many times has she been?"

"She went to see if she could find Riley, earlier, apparently she did, she then came back and she's gone again. Do ya think she likes driving."

"Well Jack, I wouldn't know. What do you want her for?"

"Oh...I.....We had an argument. More like me making a stupid fool of myself, and her getting the bad side of the stick."

"Well Jack, I suggest you make it up to her."

"I agree, so come with me to Sunnydale."

"What? Jack, I have lots of work to do."

"I know but...."

".....Hammond won't let you go and you know it. Even if he does approve of your relationship. Jack she'll come back, you'll see."

"I hope you're right." Jack sighed and left Daniel to his work.

Sam and Buffy walked into the intiative living house. "Deja Vu." said Sam

"Huh?" said Buffy as they walked through the corridoors.

"Oh I was here this morning."

"Is that why you know Riley....is....."

"Yeah. I came because the General had found out that reports had stopped."

"Is that bad?"

"Yeah." They came to the mirror, in which the secret elevator is. "Are we sure, we wanna do it this way, couldn't we just ask." said Buffy. Mainly concerned for the other people inside who aren't Vampires.

"No, they wouldn't answer the questions we ask." said Sam, she then kicked the mirror and smashed it open. "How do we intend to get down there?" asked Sam

"I don't know, maybe we could jump." said Buffy.

"It's a bit too far, don't you think."

"Maybe not for you."

"Why not?"

"You know about that extra strength, stuff. That's why."

"Yeah, so what about you?" asked Sam,

"I'm sure you can take me with you."

"I suppose so."

"Great, let's go." Sam held onto Buffy's waist and stood ready

"Are you ready, on three....one...two...three." She jumped, with help from Buffy. When they landed,

Buffy looked dizzy while Sam stood there with a grin on her face. "Oh wow. That's was soooooo fantastic." Sam spoke with excitement

"Speak for yourself." said Buffy, looking nauseous.

"I HAVE to do that again." said Sam. Smiling, a very huge smile. She then decided they should get on with what they came for. She prised open the closed door and then stepped through and helped a very pale looking Buffy through. "It wasn't that bad, really?"

"It was." said Buffy, trying desperately to stand up.

When she finally got to her feet she managed a weak smile and they carried on walking. "I hope you know who we are looking for." said Buffy

"Oh, I know his face, just not his name." said Sam.

"Oh dear. I should have asked that before we jumped." said Buffy holding her stomach, as she felt the white walls spin and turn.

"You fancy her don't you?" asked Xander, to Spike, who was sitting on the stairs, at Giles' home.

"Fancy who?" said Spike.

"Sam."

"No I don't."

"Spike, I heard from Buffy that you wanted to see her before, you know when it was her birthday. And today you called her Sammie, and Jack has only called her Sammie once, when we gave her her birthday cake. And I remember you looking PRETTY jealous."

"Xander...I am a Vampire...."

"...Don't I know it...."

"....She is a Slayer, and I certainly don't FANCY her, and I'm not JEALOUS of her stupid AIR FORCE boyfriend."

"Oh Really?"

"Yes really."

"Will you two be quiet?" shouted Giles, from the kitchen. "Yourveryargument is stupid." Xander shrugged and Spike looked disgusted.

Sam and Buffy made it to the main area but were stopped by Riley. "Oh god!" exclaimed Buffy, she didn't want to see him. Anybody but him. "Hey, ladies. What brings you to my base?"

"You're base????" asked Sam

"You know you really shouldn't have come here, we aren't ready for you, but I'm sure we can make up for that." They were surrounded by soldiers.

"Oh gee a party." said Buffy sarcastically.

"Oh yeah, a party. Just for you and me, girlfriend." said Riley, dragging Buffy off. As the others made Sam walk by holding weapons at her.

"Giles, it's been 3 hours." said Xander, walking upto the older man, letting him know.

"I know, call Jack, and get him here like she said."

"Why does she want him to come anyway." asked Spike, disgusted "They had a fight."

"Yeah, but maybe she feels he can bring back up." said Xander, whilst he grabbed the phone and dialed the number for the SGC.

Riley took Sam and Buffy to their General. "Hello, Major, pleased you've made it."

"General, we must talk. It's very important."

"I'm sure it is. But as you can see. We are very busy." Sam looked around and saw that they were constructing a weapon. "What's that?" asked Buffy, after she saw what Sam had been looking at.

"It's a weapon." said the General

"What is the weapon for?"

"I can't tell you that, it's classified." said the General

"I have clearance, so tell me." said Sam.

"No. What did you come here for?"

"We came to warn you of a Vampire Movement that is headed here." said Buffy. Shaking Riley off her.

"We know about the Vampire Movement." he said

"You do???"

"Yes." The General's face changed "We are the Vampire movement."

Colonel Jack O'Neill ran into General Hammond's office. "What can I do for you?" asked Hammond

"Sir, I don't suppose you would want to help Sam and Buffy with a little Vampire Uprising would you?"

"Colonel? I don't understand."

"Sir, I'm asking if I could mobilise...oooh... a few SG teams to go into the initiative."

"Colonel, it's out of the question. I won't allow it."

"Sir, I hope I don't have to remind you that they, being Sam and Buffy, have saved us from demons and stuff before. Besides this benefits us all."

"Jack. Both of them told me our weapons do nothing to them."

"Sir, I'm sure Makepeace and others could figure out which way round you hold a stake. It's not difficult."

"I'm sure it's not. Very well, Colonel, you may have what teams are at your disposal."

"Thank you sir."

"On one condition."

"What's that?"

"I come with you. I wouldn't mind kicking some undead butt, myself."

"Yes Sir." Jack grinned at the General's face

Sam and Buffy exchanged glances as they looked at the General. He was a Vampire. Sam looked around, they were all Vampires, how come she didn't know. She decided that it was because she HAD wanted to believe that he wasn't. "Now, the weapon is for you two. We decided we would get rid of you the military way." Sam quickly grabbed her stake and the General was dusted. She was so quick that Buffy had to think about it. She just saw a dark streak pass her eyes. The other Vampires looked shocked. Sam quickly turned around so fast that Buffy couldn't see her.my she is fasterthought BuffyI'm still jealous. Before Buffy could think again, the Vampires that were in the room, except Riley, were gone. "My." said Riley. "Have you been eating spinech?" he asked Sarcastically. Throwing Buffy into another room. Riley pinned Sam to the wall. Buffy walked back in, still feeling ill. She took out her stake and walked upto Riley. She then took a deep breath and staked him. Sam looked at Buffy's teary eyes. Sam held onto her shoulders and tried to sooth her. They needed to stop the other Vampires that must be all over the intiative.

"I think they came down here." said Xander, as he looked at the broken entrance into the elevator.

"Ya think." said Jack. Tying Xander to some rope. Ferretti walked upto him and said

"Sir, we're ready."

"Great, let's go." said Jack. Preparing for his little flight down the wall.

Sam held onto Buffy desperately trying to stop her tears, that were falling. "oh Buffy, we need to go...." said Sam, just as 5 Vampires walked through the door. Buffy just fell to the floor, letting her tears fall. "Buffy????" shouted Sam. She wouldn't answer. Sam looked at the Vampires and at Buffy, she needed to protect Buffy, for the first time that Sam was aware of. Buffy had dropped all defences and collapsed in a heap of pain and hurt. "Looks like your friend just hasn't got the heart for it anymore."

"What would you know?" asked Sam, pointing a stake in their direction.

"I know quite a bit. I was a scientist assigned to this facility before I had a change of....well...species."

"And now you're about to die." she said, full of hate.

"No you are." he quickly walked upto her and swung at her, she ducked and then staked him as she came back up. Sam looked at the other four. They were obviously in the mood to fight with a slayer, two came upto her. She kicked one away while she staked the other. She was fast, which they weren't prepared for.

When she had done with those she grabbed Buffy off the floor and ran into the main area.

As they arrived, Vampires jumped from everywhere at them. Out of the pit and from other rooms. Sam let go of Buffy and kicked them away. "Buffy, I need your help here." shouted Sam. Sam decided to walk away from Buffy a little, and fought the Vampires.

They had surrounded her, she staked one that was behind her, and almost immediately staked the one in front. She kicked one at her left side, knocking him back into the pit and she jumped over the another one that was on her right side (now her left) and staked him as well.

As she turned around a Vampire flew at her, but before she could do anything he got dusted. Sam looked shocked, she looked at Buffy, who was still on the floor, kicking them away. She looked up and she saw General Hammond and Teal'c. She smiled, and staked the Vampire behind her, without even looking to see if he was there.

Buffy walked into her room and fell onto her bed.I'm just glad that is over. I can't believe I fell apart like that. I didn't even stake A Vampire. And I'm meant to be a slayer. Sam did all the slaying.thought Buffy. As she got herself ready for bed. There was a knock on the door. "Yeah." she said. Her mom walked in quietly and sat on her bed. "Hey, sweetheart. I'm sorry about what happened." she said, soothingly. "Mom, I...wish it had been different."

"I know."

"Does it ever get easier?"

"I can't answer that, because for me, it hasn't been yet. But your life is different to mine."

"Yeah you aren't a Slayer."

"No, but I'm a woman. I can only help you with that side of things, sorry!"

"It's okay, do you mind if I stay alone, for a little while."

"Okay." Joyce left her room and Buffy lay down on her bed.I'm so glad Sam was there, actually. At least I still have my friends and my mom.They were he final thoughts before she fell asleep.

Sam stood in front of the mirror, and looked at the clothes she had chosen to wear. A red shirt, that was lightly tight, and some stone coloured trousers with black shoes. She then looked at her hair. It was down, Jack would normally do it, but he wasn't here. She remembered when she had found that he could do hair, it was because of him that she kept it long. She ran her fingers through it as she remembered that memory.


"When do you think I should get it cut."

"I don't think you should cut it at all."

"But there are regulations."

"I've seen air force officers, that are female, with long hair."

"I know that, but...."

"But what?" Sam blushed slightly and then sighed. Jack patiently waited for an answer

"But I'm not too good at doing that."

"Well you see that where you need me."

"You?"

"Yeah I happen to be good with hair. I'll show you later." >

There was a knock at the door, that stopped Sam's daydream. She walked down the stairs and opened the door. "Jack?" she said, as she recognised his face.

"Yeah, can I come in." He was wearing fatigues and looking slightly nervous.

"Sure." she said, opening the door, to invite him in. He walked in and walked into the living room. She followed him and when he stopped and turned to face her, she kept her distance. "You look nice." he said, nervously.

"Um thank you, so do you." said Sam.

"I'm wearing fatigues." Jack pointed out.

"I know."

"You've got your hair down." said Jack, noticing her hair.

"Um yeah, I..er..can't ... you know." said Sam

"Right." said Jack. They looked at each other and then both said "I want to...."

"No you first." said Jack.

"No. You first." said Sam.

"Well I came to appologise for what I said to you earlier, it was wrong and I should never have said it. I don't think about what I say. I was trying to make a point but I was making a mess instead and I am so sorry...." Sam walked upto him and put a finger on his lips.

"Shush. I forgive you."

"You....you do. You do."

"Yes. And I'm sorry too. It's just that Buffy had been saying that being a slayer makes her feel kind of....well as..." Jack looked at her

"What are you trying to say?" he asked

"Do you think being a slayer makes me hard, and not very easy to love. Because you know I could hurt you."

"No."

"But you said that I frighten you."

"I know what I said, but that's not exactly true."

"Well what is?"

"Well when I see you fight. I think 'My god you're sooooo strong' but then when we are together and we make love, you're so tender and soft. It's unbelieveable, not frightening. I'm sorry."

"Really?"

"Of course I'm sorry."

"No...not that...about the soft bit. I don't hurt you?"

"You DON'T hurt me at all. You're very very very soft and light handed, so I sometimes can't believe that you can fight like that. And as for the 'not easy to love' thing. Well that's just rubbish. Sam you have given me so much love, I'm overwhelmed, really. I love you so so much."

"I love you too. Jack." He kissed her and led her to the sofa.

"There's something I had planned to ask you, before we argued."

"What?" asked Sam. Jack put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a box. "Oh My!" exclaimed Sam, "What's that???" she asked. Jack opened to reveal an engagement ring.

"Will you marry me?" he asked, so quiet that Sam almost couldn't hear. But she did.

"Oh Jack, of course I would marry you." He pulled into his arms and kissed her, it was quite some time before they let go of each other. "Now all I need is to now, if Slayers are allowed to marry." Sam eyed him "I'm joking, of course." he said, grinning. Sam put her head on his chest and listened to his heart.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Miss Wendy