Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Someone Who Understands

by Melon
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Someone Who Understands

Someone Who Understands

by Melon

TITLE: Someone Who Understands
AUTHOR: Melon
EMAIL: sugar468@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack, Romance, hurt/comfort, missing scene for Divide And Conquer
SPOILERS: Divide And Conquer, In The Line Of Duty
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship, Minor character death, Very small sexual contact, freequent mild language
SUMMARY: How does Sam cope with the death of Martouf in Divide And Conquer and the Zatarc test?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my first 'on the net' fan-fic. I'm a big fan of Stargate SG-1 and have two more stories on the go. I would reeeaaaly like feedback and some advice. I don't like character death but it already comes with the episode. ENJOY! (I know it's short!)

I just sat there, on the cold, hard floor of the gate room with him lying in my arms. I gently held his head in my hands trying my very best not to cry in front of everyone. I only just managed to keep my tears in my eyes and not let them run down my cheeks. His body was full of bullet holes, red and bloody. I had to kill him with the Zat Gun or it would have been a major disaster. I'd lost a close friend but my memories had lost a lover. I sat there for what seemed like ages. People gradually filed out the room until there was only the General, Colonel, Daniel, Teal'c, Janet and her two assistants and the airman that are always there left in the room. Janet's assistant came up to me and speaks cautiously.

"Ma'am? I'm sorry but we have to take him."

Janet hadn't said anything and I admired the assistants' bravery but I didn't wanna go. "No, I can't." I said tearfully, my voice quivering.

"Carter. Sam. C'mon. Please?" Colonel said. Knowing that the Colonel had called me 'Sam' in front of the General must mean that he's sincere and, to me, it was insent enough. I stood up and immediately turned to the General. He nodded his head and I turned to walk out. I looked at the Colonel before literally just running out the room and down the corridors in tears.

I knocked on the General's door sharply.

"Come in Colonel." He said solemnly.

"Mind if I sit?"

"Not at all son."

"Thank you sir. So...what did you want me for sir?"

"I heard what happened when you and Major Carter were re-tested."

Oh hell! How much did that Anise and the Doc tell him? "Yes sir. Good job my brain wasn't fried after all sir!"

"Jack, what I'm trying to say is that none of what happened between you and Major Carter in that test room will be looked into any further."

"Thank you sir."

"Doctor Fraiser has talked to Major Carter but Major Carter is in a bad way. She went through gruelling admittance on the test and then for Martouf to die, well, it's hard for someone to take in all at once."

"Gruelling admittance, sir?"

"Yes Colonel! You know it too because you went through the same thing. For this reason, Doctor Janet Fraiser has specifically requested that you talk to Major Carter."

"Me, sir?"

"Yes you Colonel. SG-1 is on stand-down for the next sixteen hours. In the next sixteen hours you will be called for your briefing. Dismissed! Oh, and Colonel-"

"Yes sir?"

"She's a damn good second-in-command and a good soldier all round. Don't blow it! Don't screw it up Jack"

"Yes sir." With that, I walked out of the General's office and down to see Sam, guessing that she'll be in her room on base.

Sitting curled up on my bed with my knees tucked up under my chin, I realised that white tissues surrounded me, almost. I looked around my room. It was bare and plain. The only bits of furniture there were a few drawers, a bedside table, a lamp, a chair, ceiling light and a bed. I picked up the photo I had of all of SG-1. Cassandra had taken it at her birthday party. She framed it and gave it to me at Christmas. We were all wearing blue jeans so it looked like we really were a team but without the uniform. It looked like we were all one, together. Daniel and Teal'c stood up at the back behind the Colonel and myself who were kneeling down at the front. The Colonel had his arm around my shoulders and we both had massive grins on our faces. My eyes drifted over to the other picture on the bedside table. It was a picture of the last Christmas that we'd had. We all spent it at the Colonel's house and thought we should have a bit of fun. We all decided that we would all put our names on a little piece of paper each and drop them into a hat. Two names would get picked out and it meant that those two people would have to kiss each other, on the lips, under a sprig of mistletoe. The first two pieces of paper to be picked out had the names 'Teal'c' and 'Hammond' on them. Teal'c didn't see the point in this 'ritual' as he called it but that kiss will go down in history. It was a barrel of laughs. I smiled at the memory and Janet's red face when she had to kiss Daniel. I also smiled when Cassandra got picked to kiss Feretti. Seen as though she was kinda small, Feretti picked her up in his arms and gave her a gentle featherweight kiss. When she returned back to the ground she was so red we thought she'd gotten sun burnt. There was a sudden hush when it dawned on everyone which two people were left. Of course, it was the Colonel and I. He grinned at me at dragged me under. He leant me down in his arms and gave me on hell of a kiss. It lasted for quite a long while and I found myself doing what the Colonel was doing at the time, closing my eyes. Janet was the one who took the picture mid-kiss. I stroked the picture with my thumb, remembering the feel of his lips on mine. A gentle knock at the door brought me out of my reverie. I spoke up. "Look Janet. I don't wanna talk anymore. I've told you that once. You just don't understand!"

"Ah, but I understand some of it though." Came the soft voice. It was the Colonel. I quickly dried my eyes, shoved all the tissues into the bin and stood up.

"Sorry sir. Just a sec!" I called back. I went to the door and opened it. He was stood there, his head slightly down but his knowing eyes were looking upwards at me.

"I've heard that someone needs to talk to another someone. Today, this other someone is a someone that understands. He's been through it as well you know?!"

He looks up at me and smiles slightly. He steps into my room, closes the door behind him and he only has to say one word-

"Sam?"

-Before I burst into tears.

It must have been at least a good half-hour before I tore away from his now damp shirt on his chest.

"I'm sorry Colonel. You shouldn't have to see me like this." I said as I dried my eyes on a tissue.

"Hey! Sam! You don't have to be sorry. You've been through a hell of a lot in one day and it's brought other memories back too. Even if I am your CO, it doesn't bother me. It might have done at the beginning when I thought you were just a geeky scientist. Feminine too I might add!" He smiled at me and I smiled back. "Yet now, after all we've been through, as a unit and personally..." he paused. Lets just say that one of us crying will never top all those things we've been through. I other words, crying a bit isn't as difficult and painful as lots of other things we've had to endure. I'm not gonna think any less of ya Sam."

"Thank you sir." I said. He was still holding my arms as we sat on the bed opposite each other.

"Your always welcome."

"There's another thing sir."

"Yes Sam?"

"Well, I know this is going to sound odd to you but I have two totally different feelings towards the death of Martouf.

"Jolinar?"

"Yeah. I feel a sadness about losing a close and understanding friend which is a feeling from me, Samantha Carter but I also feel something else. I feel like I've lost a, I don't know how to put this, a, a...a lover." I shift slightly. "Jolinar feels that way, not me, but I've still got two main feelings when I should only have one. Basically, it really does screw your mind up, sir!"

"As long as you know which feeling belongs to who, you'll cope Sam. I know you will. Now. I've got something to ask of you. Look at me." I meet his eyes. They are so dark, deep and mysterious. "Just for now, call me Jack. Please?"

"OK sir...err...Jack!" We grin at each other. His gaze drifted over to the two pictures on my bedside table. He smiles.

"I remember that." He said as he pointed to the one that had all of us in. "Cassie wanted me to help her frame it seen as though Janet had been called out to a medical emergency. She said you looked really happy there, I agree with her. She wanted to get a copy of it and give one to me but I said that it should be your photo, Sam, and yours alone." Then his look shifted over to the Christmas photo next to it. "Now I do have a copy of that. I gave in to the pressure from Danny, Janet and Cassie when they insisted on me having a copy." He turns to face me. "I keep mine at home on my bedside table. "I like it a lot!" He said grinning at me.

"I like it a lot too!" I answered, also grinning.

" I meant most of that kiss you know?"

"No, I didn't know. I meant most of the kiss I gave you back though."

"I didn't know that either." We started laughing. When we stopped laughing I thought I better bite the bullet and ask him.

"Jack?"

"Yes Sam?"

"Did you mean what you said on the Zatarc test thing?" I asked. He looked me straight in the eyes and took my hands in his. He spoke so softly to me.

"I meant every single word I said. It was and still is all true. About rather dying myself than losing you and that I care for you-" I cut him off.

"A lot more than I should do." I said, adding my own feelings as well. Gently, he cupped my face in his hands and kissed me on my lips. His gentle touch caused my body to shiver and he drew me in closer. When we parted, he embraced me in a hug.

"I love you so much Sam." He said into my shoulder.

"I love you too Jack, so much!" We parted and looked into each other's eyes.

"You need to get some sleep Sam. Our next briefing is in thirteen hours." I took his hand as he stood up to leave.

"Stay with me Jack?" I asked him quietly. He sat down and looked me in the eyes.

"Of course I will Sam." He pulled us both down into a lying position on the bed. In each other's arms, we both drifted off into sleep, ready to get on with our strange, peculiar, interesting, secret lives we live each day when we wake up in the next twelve hours.

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Melon