Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

My Own Worst Enemy

by Max Tyler
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
My Own Worst Enemy

by Max Tyler

TITLE: My Own Worst Enemy
Author: Max Tyler
Email: Max_01_09@yahoo.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: None (I don't think)
Season: any
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: some violence & swearing
Status: Completed
Summary: SG-1 is stranded on a planet under attack. When Jack is injured, can they get him out in time?
Disclaimer: I don't own any Stargate SG-1 people or places.
Author's notes: Sorry if it sucks. I will only say that it was my first fanfiction attempt.

Jack stepped out of the Stargate, his team at his heels. His warm brown eyes widened at the destruction that lay before them. "Holy shit." he said in a low tone.

Carter spoke up from behind him, "You know that there was going to be damage."

He turned, "Well, yeah, but not this bad."

Daniel's innocent blue eyes were also wide open at the damage, but Teal'c's face was impassive, as always. This world, Negron, had been hit by some kind of unknown species, who had very destructive weapons. Not to mention Negron was a pretty peaceful planet, and they didn't have much weapons. Jack wondered if the things that had hit the planet knew that. If they did, they were cowardly bastards, Negron hadn't stood a chance.
Jack watched a small child watched them warily from the charred ruins. Her small face was smeared with ashes from the fire that had obviously destroyed her home.

"Who are you?" the girl asked, her voice hard and frightened.

Carter stepped forward, and knelt at the girl's eye level. "It's okay, we're friends." she assured the girl, who stood, and though still
cautious, didn't run for help.

"Who's in charge around here?" Jack asked the child, who stared up at him silently with solemn eyes.

"Okay Carter, she seems to like you, you wanna take a crack at this?" asked Jack.

Carter nodded, "What's your name sweetie?" The girl looked apprehensive for a moment, then said shyly, "Maron."

Carter smiled, "Hi Maron, I'm Sam, these are my friends, Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c. Can you tell us who is in charge here?"

Maron nodded, "Well, it was Zarin, but he was killed in the raids, so it would be his son, Bolin, I'll take you to him."
They walked, the heat thick and oppressive. Daniel stopping often to observe the ruins so often, Jack wanted to kill him. But finally, Maron stopped in front of a make-shift house.

"Father, some people are here to see you!" Maron called out.

Carter started, "Father, but Maron I thought you were taking us too.." she trailed off.

Maron gave her a sweet smile, "Bolin is my father."

Suddenly a tall, muscular man appeared, "Maron?" he asked, his tone alarmed.

"Father, I think these people got your message you sent through the stone circle temple."

Jack was amused at how many named there was for the Stargate. "Hello Bolin, I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill from Earth, this is Major Samantha Carter, Dr. Daniel Jackson, and Teal'c." Bolin nodded, "So my daughter has already introduced me?" he gave a loving glance towards Maron, who smiled.

"Maron, why don't you go play with Siard?"
Maron nodded, and ran off in the opposite direction, Bolin watched her until she faded. "Thank you for coming." he said to Jack, who nodded, "How many people do you have left." It was obviously a painful subject, for Bolin's eyes tightened. "Not many, about fifty, I guess."

Carter's face went white, "Out of how many people?"

Bolin shrugged helplessly, "About two hundred or so."

He straightened, and looked around his world. "There is nothing left, I was wondering if you could re-locate us to a new planet."

Jack looked around, considering, "Yeah, the damage looks total, I'm sure we could."
Bolin sighed, "I am grateful, because we would starve here."

Jack nodded, "We'll camp out here, then tomorrow we'll gather the rest of your people, go back to earth, and you can pick where you want to go."

Bolin nodded, "Please come inside."
It was only slightly cooler inside the little house. Jack was grateful
though, for even the small respite. Bolin was describing about the
invaders. "They look human, but they are very strong."

Jack was listing intently, but he was distracted when suddenly Bolin stopped. His face had gone paper-white.

"Bolin, are you okay?" Carter asked, alarmed.

"They are coming back," Bolin muttered, "Can you hear them?"

Jack cocked his head to the side, and listened hard. He did hear a strange sound, a high-pitched whistling.

Bolin jumped to his feet, "Maron!" he yelled, and ran outside.
Jack got quickly to his feet. "Stay here and try and protect the city, I'll be back." he told the rest of his team.

Carter started to object, but Jack yelled, "Stay here!" He then ran out after Bolin.
Finally Jack spotted Bolin after about seven minutes, he was running
towards a crouched Maron, who was alone, and shivering in fear. Suddenly, Bolin cried out, and fell to the ground, Jack threw himself down besides him. He immediately saw the problem, the invaders, who ever they were, used bullets like the SG team. Bolin had taken four of them to the chest. He was dead.
Jack jumped to his feet, and grabbed Maron, who clung to him.

"It's okay Maron." Jack said, and he took off at a run. Suddenly, a sharp pain went up his leg. Damn it, he was hit, he ignored it, but his gait was now a run-limp.

"What's wrong?" Maron asked, scared.

"Nothing." Jack lied, and tried to hurry. But he knew he was in trouble when another bullet hit his shoulder, making him nearly drop Maron, who cried out.

"Maron, you might have to walk." Jack said, to his disgust, his voice thick and slow. He realized that he was losing blood fast. She nodded though, and they hurried as fast as Jack could go. They were making pretty good time, when another bullet hit Jack in the back. He collapsed, pain coursing through his entire body.

Maron screamed, "Come on, let's go!" her small hand yanked on him with almost in-human strength. Jack tried to breathe, but the pain was terrible. He somehow got to his feet, and stumbled a few steps. He saw, in the blurry distance, the rest of his team. Ignoring orders, Jack thought dreamily, I'm glad this time, though I don't know if I'll make it back. I'm feeling a little... He passed out.

Part Two

Without a word, Daniel grabbed Maron, and Teal'c grabbed the unconscious Jack and they hurried away, returning fire when they could. They finally made it to the house, and Teal'c gently laid Jack on the ground, where Carter knelt by him. She checked his wounds, worry creasing her brow. "How is he Sam?" Daniel asked, still holding Maron.

Carter glanced up, and blew a strand of blond hair off of her forehead, "Bad." she said, and returned to Jack.

"How bad?" Daniel persisted

Carter finished and her hands stained with blood, said "He's been hit about four times, and I think one's collapsed his lung, and I don't know what else, we need to get him home."

Daniel looked grim, "How?"

Carter looked desperate, "I don't know."

They listened to the noise outside, and then they tried to get some sleep, each taking turns watching the door and Jack. It was almost morning, when Carter heard a muffled moan.

She hurried over to Jack, "Sir?"

Jack's warm dark brown eyes opened, "Yeah?" his voice a hoarse croak.

"How are you?" Carter asked, Jack tried to sit up, and groaned at the stabs of pain running through his body, especially in his chest.

"I feel like I've been shot." he said, trying to grin, and shrug it off. But there was too much pain in his warm brown eyes to pull it off.

Carter hurriedly gently lowered him to the ground, saying, "Don't try to get up sir, I think one of the bullets hit your lung."

Jack tried to grin again, "Really?" Daniel and Teal'c heard him talk, and came over.

"Hey Jack how are you feeling?" Daniel asked,

"Like I got shot." Jack said again. A flash of worry went across his face, "Is Maron okay?"

Carter nodded, "She's fine." "That's good.." he then faded back out, and Carter absently, worriedly smoothed back a lock of his hair. She looked up at the two other men, concern written all over her face, "We have to get him out of here."

Daniel nodded, his gaze fixed on his injured friend. "Isn't there anything we can do?"

Carter sighed with frustration, "Not without the proper equipment."

They heard a rather large explosion right outside the door, and tensed. Teal'c stoically remained firm, "I will not let them in without a fight." he said grimly

Carter nodded.

Maron who was still shivering, stared over at them with haunted eyes, "Is he going to be okay?" she asked, tipping her small chin in Jack's direction

Carter tried to smile, "I hope so."

She stared almost blankly, "I hope so too. He saved me."

"I know." Carter said, wishing she could comfort the girl

"I wish he could've saved my dad too." she whispered, and then burst into silent tears.

Part Three

Jack stared up at the roof, wincing. The pain from his bullet wounds were growing steadily worse. He tried however, to keep his suffering from the rest of his team. That would only make them feel desperate to get him out, and make them take too many risks. But Carter was watching him closely, he noticed, and after his last grimace of pain, she walked over.

She kneeled over him, "Colonel, we need to get you out of here."

Jack tried to shrug, but didn't have the energy to move, besides it hurt like hell. Carter's blue eyes looked shiny, and Jack's own eyes widened. She was crying, for him. Why? "Carter, it's okay, I'll be okay." he said, trying to comfort her.

She sniffed, and wiped self-consciously at her eyes, "You're certainly living up to your reputation of getting hurt on the missions."

Jack nodded gravely, trying to shove the pain away from his eyes and replace it with his usual humor. "Yeah, I'm my own worst enemy." he joked. Carter laughed, a laugh choked with tears, but still a laugh.
That had been a hour ago, Jack had since then lapsed into unconsciousness. He had a raging fever, thanks to the bullets still inside him, and the wounds with which they had nothing to disinfect with. Carter held his hand, and finally Teal'c said, "I must try to get to the Stargate."

Carter looked up, her eyes swollen and sore from crying, "Teal'c you can't the colonel would kill us."

"The colonel won't be around much longer if I do not go." Teal'c replied bluntly.

Tears again welled in Carter's eyes, and finally after minutes of deliberation, she finally nodded.
Teal'c held a rifle in his large hands, and counted to ten. He then
darted outside, bullets pounding down at him. One grazed his shoulder, but he still continued, undaunted. He was going to save ONeill, his colonel, his friend. He saw the Stargate, and quickened his pace. Another bullet grazed past his leg, but Teal'c threw himself hard, and rolled. He quickly punched in the code, and the Stargate opened. He then launched himself into the gleaming blue.
Carter sat silently, holding Jack's hand, which was toasty hot from fever. Every few minutes, he'd moan, he was doing it now.

"Charlie." his lips were cracked and bleeding, Carter stared in helplessness. She had given him water, but it seemed that it wasn't helping. She stroked his forehead, which was as hot as a oven, "Charlie." he muttered again.

Carter knew that Charlie was his son, who had died. She looked up and Daniel, who was staring at Jack with the same helpless look she had. "Dammit." she said, and she wanted to scream. She wanted to prey, but she didn't know what to do. Suddenly, as if she already had, Teal'c, General Hammond, and Janet appeared.

"Janet!" Carter said, sure she was hallucinating. But she pinched herself, and the pain assured her that it was real. She couldn't remember when she had felt more relieved.

Janet nodded, but her attention was focused on Jack. "We have to go now!" she said, and Teal'c gently picked Jack up. General Hammond stared at Jack, worry in his eyes. "Come on people, let's go!"

Part Four

They ran, bullets flying at them. One hit Daniel hard in the shoulder, but wincing, he got back up. Carter wasn't thinking about the bullets though, she was thinking of Jack, dying. If they made it back, she'd tell him that she loved him.
She could see the Stargate, straight ahead, and joy leapt up inside her heart. Jack was going to make, and they could be together. But suddenly, there was a explosion behind the group, and Carter felt herself flying. Her fear-filled thought wasn't for her, though, but for the already wounded Jack, and what this new complication would do to him. Then she hit the ground, and she no longer worried.
Carter groaned, and tried to life her arm to rub the back of her head. She felt sick, and wanted to throw up.

"Easy now." said a soothing voice.

Janet?

Carter opened her eyes, wincing at the bright light. It was indeed Janet's worried face hovering over her. Then a thought struck Sam. Bright lights, they were back at SGC. Jack!

She tried to sit up, "Jack!" she yelled, her voice desperate.

"Hey, not so fast, I think you have a concussion." Janet said, but Carter didn't care, "Where's Jack, how is he?" she demanded.

Janet stepped back to let her see Jack lying still in a bed. Carter's eyes filled with frightened tears, she remembered how bad he had been. "What?" she whispered, asking about his injuries.

"There was some blood loss, fractured ribs, collapsed lung from the bullets. Infection. Then the explosion broke his leg and arm," Janet said, "But he's stable now, I think he's gonna be okay."

"What about Teal'c and Daniel?" Carter asked.

"Daniel took a bullet in the shoulder, Teal'c got grazed by two bullets, and received a broken arm, but he's already healing." Janet replied.

She stared down sternly Carter, "Now lay down and get some rest." She started to walk away, then turned back, a teasing smile replacing the stern façade "Oh by the way, when since has the colonel turned to Jack?"

Carter felt her face turn red, and Janet laughed, and walked out.
Carter was sitting by Jack's side a few days later. He still hadn't woke up, but Janet said that it was normal. Carter held his hand, was surprised when she felt a faint squeeze. "Jack?" she whispered, and he pried his eyes open.

"Hey Carter." his voice was a harsh whisper.

Carter laughed, her eyes again filling with tears. "You scared me Jack." she said.
"Sorry 'bout that, but I had a couple of bullets in me and..." he trailed off, "You called me Jack, not sir, or colonel, but Jack."

Carter nodded, and a smile spread over Jack's bruised face.

"I love you Jack O'Neill," Carter said, "and since you are your own worst enemy, I swear that I'll be around to protect you from yourself, if you'll let me." She waited, and was delighted when Jack grinned, and said "Gee Carter, I mean, Sam I thought you'd never ask."

Finished.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Max Tyler