Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS

by MAL
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS

SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS

by MAL

Title: SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS
Author: MAL
Email: lathammaryann@hotmail.com
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, MissingScene/Epilogue
Episode related: 510 2001, 511 Desperate Measures, 516 Summit 1
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: What happens to Sam after the events of 2001? This is my theory.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Set between the eps 2001 and DESPARETE MEASURES. This is my theory on what happened to Sam after the events of 2001. SPECIAL NOTE: This is my very first SG1 fanfiction story. It's taken about 4 months to write. A VERY big thank you to PETTYGREW (KAREN) for her help at the start of this project. Without her this would NEVER have got this far. Thank you also to MAJORCLANGER and DENISE for there help in the later stages. I would also like to mention JAHNICE who gave me lots of advice and moral support. Thank you. I hope you enjoy my story. XX

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS

Doctor Janet Fraiser smiled to herself sadly as she put the phone down. Cassandra had taken the news well. Though she was worried and a little upset, she also knew and accepted the risks that SGC teams faced. Any mission a team took off world could be their last.

Cassandra was staying in Los Angeles with Janet's sister. Janet had known they where going to Knott's Berry Farm that day, so she waited until 2100hrs LA time to phone. 2100hrs LA time meant 2200hrs Colorado time. Sighing, Janet sat back in her chair. It had been a long hard six hours. She had only just come on duty that afternoon when Sam was bought in. It had taken 45 minutes to assess and stabilise her. An x-ray confirmed to Janet what she had thought. Though the right
shoulder was broken, it was not a serious break. However, it was still going to take six to eight weeks of complete rest to heal. That in itself presented problems.
But not for Janet. Her priority was the recovery of her friend.

Sam was sleeping now and probably would for most of the next 24 hours. The problem was the level of sedation she needed in order to let her sleep painlessly.
Sam hadn't wanted to admit to how much agony she had been in. Partly because Senator Kinsey had been there. Janet however had always been able to read Sam, even from the first day they met. Stubbornness seems to be a trait the Air Force drummed into all of their officers. And, of course, Sam had learned from the best her CO, Colonel Jack O'Neill. Even though Jack behaved like an overgrown schoolboy at times, he was a good man, as were Sam's other team members, Daniel Jackson and Teal'c.

Janet was lost in thought about SG-1's various exploits when there was a knock on the office door.

"Doctor?"

" General Hammond, sir."

The general looked and sounded tired to Janet. But then he had been sitting with Sam in a darkened ward for well over an hour. Guess I must look tired as well Janet thought ruefully.

" I am going now. I will be staying on base tonight, so if you need me for anything let me know."

"Yes sir, I am going to bed myself soon but the night staff are around."

" See you in the morning. Good night, Doctor."

" Good night, sir."

Speaking of good men. General Hammond had been very busy since Sam's return. Even before Kinsey had left the base General Hammond had informed the President of enough facts to make him wait to hear Sam's version of events before Kinsey's. That would lessen any damage Kinsey could do before he could get a full report submitted, which might not be for another day.

After that Hammond sat down with O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c while they had waited for the medical report on Sam. Afterwards there had been a lot of decisions to be made. It had been decided that while Sam was recovering, the remaining SG1 members would be assigned base duties. If they were needed for anything off world they would be available. Sam herself would not be totally off duty. Her expertise and knowledge might still be needed....

Janet stood up and walked into the infirmary. The two nurses on duty greeted her with smiles and then continued their work. Sam was the only patient on the ward. Janet walked over to the chair next to the bed and sat down. Colonel O'Neill and Daniel had long since been ordered to their beds. While Teal'c, on the other hand, had been allowed to stay, because he could be trusted to keep out of the way and remain quiet. It was also the only way of convincing the Colonel and Daniel to leave. Period. In the far corner across from Sam's bed, Janet could see
Teal'c in a deep state of meditation/ Kel-no-reem.He was immobile and oblivious to his surroundings. But Janet knew better.

A low moan from Sam caused Janet to look at her. She was lying on her left side supported all around her body with pillows. There was a foam strap fastened around her chest, held in place with Velcro. A small strap wrapped around her left upper arm to help prevent it from slipping. This was also fastened with Velcro. Connected to the back of the chest strap was a strap that went over her left shoulder. A cuff held her right hand on the end of this strap. Her right arm
was immobile. On her right shoulder there was a bandage wrapped around it to help support it.

Sam moaned again, but did not awake. A movement from Teal'c caused Janet to look over at him. He too was looking at Sam. However, he soon resumed his Kel-no-reem. Janet returned her attention to her friend. Janet always felt Sam looked young and vulnerable in these situations. Nothing showed of her experience and intelligence. But then she never did show these things except to people who knew her. She could just have been the girl next door to anyone else. Janet reached out and stroked the hair from Sam's forehead.

"Good night, Sam. Sleep well."

Janet stood up and walked from the ward. As she passed, Teal'c opened his eyes and bowed his head in acknowledgement. He too was keeping watch over Sam.

It was late the next day. Sam's teammates had gone to the mess hall for something to eat, so Janet was sitting with her. The doctor was happy with Sam's progress, she had started to reduce the levels of sedation to see how she would cope with the pain. It would only take a few hours for the medication to reduce in
her body. This meant that Sam was more lucid at times now. Though she had not spoken to anyone yet, she seemed to be aware that she was in the infirmary.

Janet sighed and rubbed her eyes. She was off duty now but she had had a long day again. Sam was still the only patient on the ward but Janet had medical assessments to do, on returning teams and new base personnel. Despite the fact she was off duty until the next day, Janet had decided to sleep on the base again.
Cassandra would not be home for another week and she also wanted to stay because of Sam....

" Daddy...."

Janet looked up startled. " Hey, Sam...No, its me... Janet. How are you feeling?"

"Tired...."

" That's to be expected. Don't worry you'll feel better in the morning. Do you remember what happened?" Janet asked gently.

" Yes... I fell...through the gate. Am I hurt bad?"

" No... just your shoulder. It will heal. And then you'll be able to get back to work."

" Do...I have to stay here?"

" No, Major...you can go home in a couple of days."

" Home...but would I not be better off here?"

" Nice try, Sam... But I don't think I could cope with all the visitors you get in and out all day for the next six weeks." Janet grinned.

" Six...weeks?"

" Yes, at least. You are lucky you didn't land on your back. It could have been a
lot worse." Janet shuddered thinking about that.

" How... am I going to manage at home?"

" Don't you worry about anything for now. Just relax and concentrate on getting better. We will sort everything out. Cassandra sends her love by the way..."

" Cassie.... Is she at school?"

" No, she is on vacation... do you remember. She is staying with...." But Janet didn't finish the sentence because Sam had already dropped off back to sleep.

Three days later Sam was lying on top of her bed in the infirmary. She was going home today. That morning, she had been helped into a side room and given General Hammond her report of the incident with the Aschen. It had gone better than she had expected. The worst part had been talking about Ambassador Faxon His unselfish actions saved Sam's life and Earth. If she was honest with herself she had liked him. He was kind and charming. Given time, they could have been great friends.

" Stop thinking about this, Sam. Concentrate on getting better like Janet told you," sighing Sam followed her own advice.

The Colonel, Daniel and Teal'c were going to spend most of their time with her at her house. O'Neill and Daniel would have laptops with a secure dial-up access to the Base's main computer so they could continue to do their reports and translations. Teal'c would help them both. Periodically they might go back to the
base, but they had insisted that one of them would remain with her, and Janet had
arranged for a nurse to visit.

"Carter? You ok?"

" Ur...Oh, sir, sorry. I was thinking."

" You do that too much you know. Are you ready?"

" Yes, sir. Thank you."

Sam pushed herself up with the Colonel's help and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. She gasped slightly as a dizzy spell hit her.

" Hey... Easy now, Major.... This is not a race." O'Neill sat beside her and stroked her back soothingly. " Feel better?"

" Yes, sir ...thanks."

" Anytime."

Sam grimaced as a wheelchair was bought up to the bed. " I won't need that...."

" I'll make a deal with you, Carter. We'll wait for Teal'c to arrive, and then you
can walk some of the way. Teal'c can bring the chair in case you need it. Okay? Do we have a deal?"

" Sounds fair. But I won't need it you know."

" Um...did I mention the fact I decide when you go in the chair?"

" But sir-."

" Look, the Doc will skin me alive if I let anything happen to you. We will do it
my way or you go in the chair now.

The choice is yours. Which will it be?"

" We will try it your way."

" Good. Ah look, here's Teal'c now."

Just then Janet arrived.

"Can I have a word with you, sir?"

"Sure Doc. I will be back in a minute Carter, Teal'c."

"Okay sir."

Teal'c just bowed his head.

O'Neill followed Dr Fraiser into her office.

"Something up, Doc?"

"Not really. I just wanted to make sure you'll be able to handle this."

"Don't worry. We'll be fine. Carter is getting stronger every day."

" Yes that's because I have reduced her medication. But it is going to be a very fine balance. Remember her body absorbs medication faster than in you or me. And she might not always admit to being in pain. Also you know how agitated she gets sometimes when she has nightmares or dreams. Keep an eye on her at all times especially at night. The last thing she needs is to aggravate that shoulder."

"One of us will stay with her in her room every night. We will take turns. Try not
to worry."

Janet sighed. " It would have been easier if you had made contact with the Tok'ra. It has been a while since she's seen her father. She could have used his support right now. "

" I know. But the last message we got from them said they were still planet hopping. They don't want to have operatives scattered across the galaxy too thinly until they are sure the Goa'uld won't find them. As for Jacob, they won't say where he is."

"Does Sam know?"

"Yes, the General told her this morning. But she is used to that."

"Well, if you feel I could be of any help at any time, just give me a call. Guess
you had better be going. I will walk with you as far as the lift and will come over
for a while tonight."

Two hours later Sam wake's up in her own living room. She is lying on her settee, covered with a blanket. The last thing she remembers was sitting on the back seat of the Colonel's truck.

"Hey sleepy. Feeling better?"

"Hi, Daniel, much thank you. Where are Teal'c and the Colonel?"

"Playing chess in the kitchen. I think Teal'c is the only one Jack can beat anymore. Do you feel like eating something? Jack thinks you have lost weight."

"Have you eaten?"

"Yes. We had chicken salad and rice. We kept some for you.... And I think there's some blue Jell-O in the fridge."

" Um lovely.... You are going to have to help me though...." Sam started to cry.

"What's wrong Sam?" Daniel asked her gently moving to hug her carefully. " I just feel so helpless...."

" You can't help that...look we are going to be here to help. And I don't mind helping you.... and I'm sure Jack and Teal'c won't either."

" Are you sure?" Sam asked him hesitantly.

"Of course we don't mind, Carter!" said Colonel O'Neill gruffly, he and Teal'c entering the room " You will be waited on day and night. But just don't expect us
to wear aprons. We are drawing the line at that!"

Daniel burst out laughing. " Shut up, Daniel."

"Sorry, Jack.... Ur Jack? Who won the chess?"

O'Neill went red in the face as a grin spread across Teal'c's.

"Have you been teaching him some moves, Daniel?"

Daniel started laughing again. Sam tried her best not to join in but she could not
help grinning at her CO.

"Oh don't you start as well Carter.... Shut up Daniel.... I said stop it.... Oh what is a poor old Colonel to do?"

"O'Neill?" Teal'c asked with a rare mischievous look on his face.

" What Teal'c?" O'Neill sounded cross.

"Am I not older than you?"

"Teal'c?"

"Yes O'Neill?"

"Let's get Carter's lunch. Daniel there is washing up to be done. You just volunteered to do it for the rest of the week."

Sam settled back with a happy smile on her face, listening to the usual banter between her teammates. "What is a poor old Colonel to do." Not the kind of thing her CO would normally say. But Sam had noticed the twinkle in his eye as he said it. It had been a way to get a response out of Teal'c. To keep the banter going. If she were honest with herself she would not normally let things worry her. But she was feeling vulnerable. Colonel O'Neill was trying to make the situation as normal as possible for her, for which she was grateful. This situation
was not going to be that difficult at all.

A few days later:

Jack pulled up outside Carter's house and switched off the engine. He had just gotten back from seeing Daniel and SG7 off through the Stargate to study some ruins discovered on M36-X10. In any case Daniel was going to gone for several days. On his way over, Jack stopped off and did a little grocery shopping. As he approached the front door Teal'c greeted him by offering to take a few things.

"Thanks Teal'c. Has Nurse Renalds been here?"

"She has O'Neill. Major Carter is resting."

Jack smiled. "That's good. What have you been doing?"

"Domestic duties. Major Carter gave me instructions on how to use the washing machine. I have also vacuumed the carpet and made Major Carter her breakfast."

" Wow you have been busy. Good for you. Are you okay with these groceries? I will go and check on Carter."

"I will be fine O'Neill."

Jack walked down the stairs and along the short corridor to Carter's bedroom. He stopped in the doorway and smiled. Carter was lying on the bed turned slightly on her left side facing the door. She was dressed in a long flowing summer skirt and matching blouse and cardigan. Her injured arm was completely concealed.

Jack walked forward and sat down on the chair next the bed and waited. A few minutes later she woke up.

"Sir, hi," Carter said sleepily.

"Hi to you too, Major."

She rolled onto her back and stretched. "Ouch," she winced.

"You Ok?"

"Yes sir. Don't worry. I just stretched too far."

"Have you taken your medication?"

Looking at the clock Carter said, "Yes half an hour ago. Did Daniel get off ok?"

" Yes. You were asleep when we left. He asked me to tell you he will send a message when they open the gate to report. The General said he will stop by when he gets off duty as well."

"That will be nice. Can we go upstairs now?"

Jack laughed. " Of course. Come on."

The time was about 14.45 hrs. Jack was reading in the sitting room. He looked up from his magazine as Teal'c entered the room.

"How's it going Teal'c?"

" I have finished O'Neill. That translation was not difficult."

" That's good. Maybe tomorrow we should do some work in the back garden. That grass seems to get longer by the day. Also Carter was talking about some repotting. I'll go to the store later and get the things we will need."

"Major Carter enjoys doing things like that her self. It is unfortunate she can not
participate. It is one of the few activities she participated in other than her work
at the SGC."

" Well she can supervise. I don't think she will be too hard on us. Anyway Cassandra will be here as well. She can help. It will be fun."

Jack looked over at Sam. She was asleep on the settee. She'd done some work that morning, checking over some specifications the base scientists had requested
her opinion on. It had been quite easy for her. She'd dictated notes via a microphone into her computer, which was connected directly into the base's main computer. Jack was pleased that people were still consulting her about things. As long as they did not over do it.

After that they had sat and talked for a while. Though he wished his 2IC had not been injured, Jack was starting to enjoy the change of routine. SG1 had had a difficult six months prior to this. They all were well over due for some downtime. Yes, Daniel was off world but he was doing something he enjoyed, and he would be back again soon. The only down side to this was Carter herself. She still hated being dependent on her friends despite their assurances that they
didn't mind. Not that he blamed her. Jack hated being dependent on people as well.

" O'Neill."

" Yes, Teal'c?"

"There is a car outside. It looks like Doctor Fraiser."

Jack stood up and stretched. " Teal'c go and put the kettle on will you? And I think there's some coke in the fridge. I'll wake Carter."

Walking over to the settee Jack looked down at Sam. She looked so peaceful sleeping there. It was a shame to wake her, but he knew it was what she wanted.

"Carter, wake up. Fraiser and Cassie are here."

" Sir..." She stirred and opened her eyes. " Already...I've only just gone to sleep."

" No you've been sleeping for a few hours now. Come on. Do you want to get up?"

"Yes sir. Please."

There was a knock on the door.

" Teal'c can you let them in please?"

"I will O'Niell."

Jack had only just got Sam on her feet when Cassandra rushed into the room.

"Sam...are you ok?"

"Not bad...I'm feeling better. Come here."

Jack, Janet and Teal'c exchanged smiles while Cassandra hugged Sam carefully.

Daniel had an interesting week on M36-X10 He and SG-7 had explored the ruins and discovered some interesting artefacts. There was no obvious clue as to why the moon was no longer inhabited. Daniel had not discovered any sign of Goa'uld activity. But that did not rule out other alien interference. He had managed to send letters to his friends and Jack had kept him informed on Sam's progress. SG-7 were a good bunch of guys. They were eager to help and listen to his theories. Which Daniel found refreshing.

Today was his last day on M36-X10. General Hammond had dispatched SG-3 to go and collect him and help carry back some of the equipment and artefacts. SG-7 were going to stay another day to clear up the camp.

SG-3 and Daniel were halfway along the wooded trail leading to the Stargate, when Major Griff stopped and signalled them to take cover. Someone was coming up the path towards them, from the direction of the Stargate. Daniel jumped into a ditch with Griff's 2IC and pulled out his handgun. He and the Marine held their breaths and waited. Three figures appeared around the corner. Immediately the recognisable beige uniforms distinguished them as Tok'ra. The leader of the trio stopped his companions, drew his zat, and looked around.

" Who is there?" he called out in Goa'uld.

Daniel recognised his voice. It was Aldwin.

Major Griff whistled to his team and they all started to show themselves. Stepping back onto the trail Daniel and SG-3 approached the Tok'ra.

" Doctor Jackson, Major." Aldwin greeted them. The seven of them put their weapons down. " I did not realise the Tauri were on this moon."

"Nor us the Tok'ra." Griff answered. "Dr Jackson and another team were investigating some ruins. My team and I have come to collect Dr Jackson." Griff volunteered this information making the first move.

" We come here from time to time. We sometimes use this moon as an outpost. Is SG-1 not here Dr Jackson?"

" No. Major Carter was injured a couple of weeks ago. She'll not be fit for duty for at least a month. SG-1 is on stand down."

" That is unfortunate, nothing serious I hope?"

" She has given us some anxious times. Has her father been informed? We have heard nothing from him. She has been asking for him." Daniel asked.

"Selmac is on a mission right now. I am sure the High council will pass the information on to him when he returns."

" Thank you. Um...yes. Has the Council decided anything about Sam's request? The one about the Zatarc reprogramming. It might please her to have that information."

" Only a small number of Tok'ra are aware of the scientific findings. The High Council believes that if the Goa'uld discover that we are able to reprogram Zatarc's they will try something else that we have no defence against. I am one of a few who are aware that it is possible. The Council must have their reasons for not releasing this information to her."

" And yet," Major Griff interrupted " You are talking about this in front of your
companions."

" These two don't understand the Tauri language Major. Or I would not talk about this matter in front of them. I am sorry Dr. Jackson. Maybe Major Carter can convince the Council herself?"

" Well, she has been trying for a long time now. I would have thought her connection with Martouf would have borne some weight. She did too. She was the one, after all who killed Martouf, and they were very close."

" Yes, I understand their connection. Martouf and Jolinar were very close friends
of mine as well. Maybe when Lantash finds a new host he will be able to help her. When that will be...."

" W-W-Wait a minute Aldwin" Daniel interrupted " Lantash? Martouf's symbiote? Didn't he die with Martouf?" Daniel was confused. Surely Lantash was dead. Nothing could have survived those injuries and two zat shots kill.

" No ... Martouf was revived enough for him to be kept alive in stasis I thought you were aware of this...."

" No, we were not. And most importantly Major Carter herself was not aware of it either." Daniel was quickly growing to understand Jack's mistrust of the Tok'ra.

Noticing the rise in tension between Daniel and Aldwin, the other two Tok'ra shifted nervously. Looking over at them Aldwin came to a quick decision.

" Look Dr. Jackson, Major Griff, we have to leave now. We were only to remain here for a short while. Our comrades on the other side of the gate will leave to another planet if we don't return soon. Maybe you should take this matter up with the High Council yourself, Dr. Jackson. I hope to see you again soon. Goodbye."

And with that, Aldwin signalled his companions and they turned and moved back down the path quickly.

" Why You! Wait..." Major Griff shouted after them.

" No, Major, let them go," Daniel put his hand on Griff's arm. " You won't stop them anyway."

"Yes, but maybe we can follow them to were they are going, doctor," Griff answered starting to get angry.

" Wherever they go from here, they will just dial up another planet. No, we won't
get an answer from Aldwin."

" Trouble, Sir?" the youngest Marine, asked his CO nervously.

" Yes, Jameson you could say that," Griff answered him looking at Daniel. " Someone is going to have to tell Major Carter this."

"Yes," Daniel replied looking at his boots. " Poor Sam."

Jack and General Hammond were waiting for Daniel and SG-3 when they stepped through the gate. Daniel was walking at the back of the group looking pale and drawn.

" Daniel, are you ok?" Jack asked him concerned.

"Not really, Jack."

" Major Griff, can you explain this?" Hammond asked the Marine who looked like he wanted to kill somebody slowly.

" It might be better if you hear this from Dr Jackson, Sir, and as soon as possible."

" Right, Major, Doctor. We'll go to the briefing room. The rest of you go and report to the infirmary. Dismissed."

" Yes, sir." The three Marines saluted their superiors and left the gate room.

A quarter of a hour later, four angry men were gathered around the table in the briefing room.

" I cannot believe we were not told about this!"

" Try and calm down, Jack. I know how you feel. I feel the same way, but we can't help by getting angry."

" I know, sir but...."

" Do you think her father might already have told Major Carter, sir's?" Griff asked Jack and Hammond.

"I don't think so, Griff" Jack answered, " she would have told us if he had. Also,
we would have noticed if she was worried about something this big."

"Maybe he knew and decided not to tell her."

"No, Major. He would not have been able to keep that from her. I suspect that Jacob did not know himself. Do you agree, Jack?"

"Yes, Daniel. He loves her too much to keep something like this from her." Turning to Hammond Jack said, "We had better tell her, sir."

Hammond sighed sadly, "Yes, Jack I agree. I'll send for her."

As Hammond stood up and walked into his office Daniel turned to Jack startled.

"She's here?"

"Yes. Fraiser wanted to do some x-rays and then Sgt Siler wanted her to look at something in the MALP room. A computer glitch or something. She's down there now. That's one of the reasons I'm here. Look, Griff, you might be better off going to the infirmary. We will be able to handle this."

"Yes, sir. I hope it goes well, sir."

A couple of minutes later Hammond returned. " She's on her way. I've asked Dr Fraiser to come down as well. I just hope we won't need her."

"So do I, sir. So do I."

A few minutes later Dr Fraiser arrived. Having already been told some of the situation by Hammond she just nodded to the others and sat down.

It took another five minutes for a pale looking Sam to arrive accompanied by Siler's constant companion Sgt Woods. Jack immediately rose to his feet and moved quickly to her side.

"Thank you, Sergeant. I'll take it from here."

" Very good, sir."

"Thank you, Sergeant," Sam smiled at him.

"Any time, Major."

As Jack was helping her to her customary chair to the right of his, Sam noticed Daniel.

" Hey, Daniel. The general said you were back. Did you have a good trip?"

" I'll tell you about it later, Sam."

Sensing the tension in the room Sam looked around at them all. " What's wrong?"

It was late in the evening. About 23:00 hours Jack stood up from his chair and went to look out of the study window. Daniel had already gone to his bed in the front room. Teal'c was performing Kel-no-reem in the passage outside Sam's bedroom. Cassandra, who stayed with them some nights, was sleeping on the folding bed in Sam's bedroom. Janet had come over for a while that evening. She wanted to make sure for herself that Sam was okay, and also spend some time with them.
.
The only ones still in the sitting room were Jack and Sam. She'd wanted to watch a TV show. So after Janet had helped her change into her night clothes, Jack volunteered to wait up with her.

Sam had taken the news about Martouf well. Too well in fact. She had also been the one to voice the fact that if Lantash needed a new host Martouf himself must be dead. Her friends were concerned about her, naturally. It had taken her a while
to get over Martouf 's death the first time around. This of course was much worse. She had lost him twice.

Jack stood for a few minutes looking out the open window just thinking.

"Jack...?"

He turned startled. Cassandra was standing there in her dressing gown. She looked a little pale and tired. Jack moved over to her and gave her a hug.

" Cassie what are you doing up? You have school in the morning. You should be in bed."

" I know. But I was worried about Sam, and when I saw she was not in bed yet...."

" Well, I was just going to get her medication, and then bring her down. Would you like to wake her up for me?"

" Yes, Jack...Jack?"

" What, kiddo?"

" Are you worried about her?"

" A little. But you know Sam. She's strong. She'll be ok. She always is." He said,
keeping his doubts to himself.

Going into the kitchen Jack fetched a glass of water and the bottle of painkillers.
He tipped three pills into his hand. One more than the recommended dose but it was what Sam required. Drugs were absorbed so fast in her body.

Moving back into the darkened sitting room, Jack stopped. Cassandra had not yet moved. She was just standing there looking at her friend who was like a mother to her. Slowly- without realising Jack was watching - she walked forward and crouched down next to the settee. She did not speak to Sam-she did not have to-she simply brushed the hair from Sam's forehead and kissed her gently. Then resting her forehead against Sam's, she just waited for Sam to sense the naqquada that was in both of their bodies. It was something Jack had witnessed a few times before, but it never failed to move him. It was something that showed clearly the bond between these two.

Sam stirred and moaned softly. Then opening her eyes she looked at Cassandra. " Cassie...."

" Yes, Sam. It's time for bed now. Jack's got your medication."

" Sir...."

" Yep, Carter." Moving forward Jack changed positions with Cassandra. "Come on... here you go...one at a time that's it." After helping her with the water Jack asked," You ready now?"

" Yes... sir." With his help Sam moved into a sitting position. However when she tried to stand she sagged back down weakly.

" You ok," Jack asked her concerned.

" My head.... it hurts."

" Well, give the tablets a little while to start working, in the mean time I'm going
to carry you. Okay?"

Too weak to protest and knowing it would do no good anyway Sam put her left arm around his shoulders. Jack lifted her easily being careful not to jar her broken shoulder. Resting her head against his shoulder she fell back to sleep.

With Cassandra walking ahead, Jack carried Sam down stairs. Stepping past Teal'c they moved into the bedroom. After Cassandra pulled down the blankets, Jack sat Sam down on the bed. He then gently woke her and supported her while Cassandra removed Sam's robe. After they had done this, Sam rolled over onto her left side and snuggled herself down. Together, Jack and Cassandra pulled the blankets over her. Sam fell instantly to sleep.

As Cassie went into the bathroom Jack did something he had hardly ever done before, he leaned over and kissed Sam gently on the forehead gently on the forehead. He caught a movement out of the corner of his eye. Teal'c was watching him from his position on the floor in the corridor. Looking at Jack sadly, Teal'c just bowed his head in acknowledgement and then resumed Kel-noreem.

It seemed that Jack had only just shut his eyes when a scream woke him up with a start. This was followed by more screams and shouts and then....

"O'Neill! Daniel Jackson!" It was Teal'c.

Jumping from his camp bed, Jack ran to the stairs followed immediately by Daniel. Rushing downstairs, they joined Cassandra and Teal'c in Sam's room.

She was sitting bolt upright in bed talking quickly in Goa'uld to someone who was not there. Her eyes were wild, and she was drenched in sweat.

"What's wrong with her?" Cassandra asked franticly to no one in particular.

"She's dreaming I think..." Daniel answered.

" Yes, that must be it. What's she saying?" Jack asked quickly moving to the side
of the bed.

"I'm not sure... something about...Martouf help me... JACK!"

Jack and Daniel both moved quickly to the bed as Sam suddenly started to tear frantically at the brace that was protecting her right arm. Grabbing her left hand,
Jack started talking quickly to her.

" Carter, Carter, listen to me..." He was surprised how strong she was. When she continued to struggle against him, he tried something else," Sam...Sam listen to me...."

She relaxed for a moment only to start struggling with him again. Then she suddenly stopped and looked him in the face. " I know what you're trying to do Apophis...you won't succeed in this.... not this way..." her breathing and voice became desperate.

Jack started to talk to her again, "Carter...listen...you're safe your in your bedroom...we're here with you...."

"No! This isn't real," she screamed.

"YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME, MAJOR CARTER!" Jack commanded.

Sam started to struggle again. "No! This is a dream...Apophis created you in my mind...why does my arm hurt...have to escape..."

He looked up at Daniel and Teal'c. He knew what he would have to do but...

Realising what he intended, Daniel turned to Cassandra who was looking terrified. "Cassie, go and phone your mother now. Tell her we need her quickly..."

" But...."

" Go on. We will be ok here."

As soon as she was gone Daniel turned back to Jack who was still trying to restrain Sam.

After throwing his two friends a quick look, Jack did something he wished he would never have to do. He slapped Sam hard across the face hard twice. " Major, you will listen to me!"

She flinched from the slaps and her eyes cleared. "Sir...ow...it hurts so much.... sir..."

She started to cry. Taking her in his arms Jack started to rock her like a small child.

" Shush...it was just a dream.... Just a dream..."

Jack looked up when he heard Cassandra talking to Daniel. "Mum says to try and keep her calm and comfortable. She'll be here as soon as she can."

Looking over she asked, "Is she Ok?"

"Yes, for now. Come over here and take over, Cassie." Jack offered.

"What do I do?"

" Just hold her and talk to her. It doesn't matter what you say, just be there."

Moving over to join Daniel and Teal'c, Jack rubbed his eyes. He suddenly felt exhausted.

" Jack, are you ok?"

" Not really, Daniel. I just want.... oh hell..." He sighed. " What do you think started this off?"

" Maybe she was thinking about Martouf...subconsciously.... And that triggered a memory of an event in Jolinar's life. Whatever it was, scared her. Sounded like
she was back on Netu. She was so scared Jack.... I hate seeing her like this." Daniel looked like he was on the verge of tears.

" I know Daniel... I know.... I feel the same way." Jack put a steadying hand on Daniel's arm "But we have to try to keep control for Carter and Cassandra ok?"

Daniel wiped his eyes on his pyjama sleeve. "Yes, Jack.... of course you're right...I'm sorry..."

"That's ok, Daniel." Jack took a deep breath to steady himself. "What was she saying when she was speaking Goa'uld before?"

" I'm not sure... something about leave me alone...I could not catch all of it she was talking too fast. To be honest, seeing her like that scared me witless. I don't
think it was pleasant, whatever it was. Could you follow it, Teal'c?"

"Some of it Daniel Jackson. Major Carter felt she was still in Netu. As Jolinar and when you were prisoners yourselves. Jolinar might have been restrained at some point. The bindings on Major Carter's arm might have triggered a subconscious memory. Then when Colonel O'Neill talked to her part of her came back to herself. The pain did help matters. As you it distressed me to see her like
that."

Jack could not blame his friends. Really what she was saying was not important to him or them. The fact that she was in so much distress was what worried him.

A movement by the door caused him to turn. Dr Fraiser was standing there.

" Ok, gentlemen. You can leave us now. Cassandra and I can handle this."

" But..." Jack and Daniel started to talk together.

"NO. I said, we can handle this. Leave us. NOW!"

" Yes, Ma'am." Jack answered sarcastically. He laughed at the grin Fraiser gave him and led his two friends from the room.

Half an hour later Fraiser joined them at the kitchen table. She looked tired but
relieved.

" How is she?" Daniel asked, pouring her a mug of coffee.

" Thanks, Daniel. Sleeping. We've cleaned her up, and I've given her something to make her sleep. I want to take her to the base in the morning to x-ray that shoulder again but I think it's ok. I just need to verify that. You saved her from
seriously injuring herself, Colonel, good work."

Jack looked at her startled. "How did you know...."

" Those marks on her face did not get there on their own, sir. Also, they are too
small for Teal'c and I can't see Daniel doing it. You did well, sir. It must have
been difficult for you."

Jack just sat there looking at her.

"What now, Doctor Fraiser?" Teal'c asked.

"Now, I think we should all try and get some sleep. I'll stay tonight in case Sam
wakes up. Then in the morning, I'll arrange an x-ray. Until then gentlemen...goodnight."

"Good night, doctor." Jack answered, relieved that the doctor was going to stay. "Ok, Daniel, Teal'c, I think it's time to turn in. Good night."

"'Night, Jack," Daniel responded.

A few weeks later:

General Hammond was sitting in his office doing some work on his computer. He looked up when there was a knock on his door. He was surprised and pleased at the sight of the person who was standing there. "Major Carter! Come in, come in. It's good to see you."

" Thank you, sir. Have you got a few minutes? I need to talk to you about something."

It was then that he noticed that she was holding some forms in her right hand.

"Of course. Sit down." He saved his work and folded the lid of the laptop down. "I see the check up went well. How is the arm feeling?"

"Strange." She answered ruefully. " Dr Fraiser only removed the strapping an hour ago. It's going to take a little while to get used to using it again."

"Well, don't rush it. Take your time with it."

"That's why I'm here, sir. Janet's keeping me off until Monday to rest, and then I
can start back on desk duties. Janet is recommending that I continue with my therapy to build up the strength in my shoulder and prevent it from freezing up. I've also signed up for some light gym work with my local health club. If that goes well, I can begin training as early as next week. Provided, I don't over do it."

"Sounds good.... But as I said don't rush it. You need to take your time after an injury like that."

"Well.... Colonel O'Neill is taking charge of my combat training. I've already had the lecture from him and Dr Fraiser about being careful." She pulled a face.

"Well you should listen to them, Major," He answered trying to sound stern while trying not to laugh, "they only have your wellbeing at heart. If you rush this kind of thing, you can set yourself back weeks. And we need you here."

"Yes, sir. I'll take my time I promise. But I've been away so long.... It seems like months."

"Yes, I know. How are you sleeping these days?" He asked changing the subject to a more delicate matter. Since the nightmare she'd had a few weeks ago, everyone had avoided the subject of the Tok'ra and Martouf when the Major was around.

"Better, sir. I've been having only...well, I guess you could say my own dreams for a change. Janet has taught me some breathing exercises in case I start thinking about.... things. Teal'c has even taught me meditation which has helped in stopping flashbacks."

"Good...good. You had us worried you know."

"Yes, sir. Everyone's been so kind. I don't know how I'd have coped." Her normal control weakened for a brief moment then it had passed. " Well, at least I'll have my house to myself again."

There was a laugh at the door. It was O'Neill. " She's been a real slave driver, General. I for one will be glad to spend my nights at home again."

Hammond laughed " It will be nice for you all to get back to a more normal routine. Can I help you with something, Colonel?"

"Yes, sir. Sargent Davis is asking if he can see Major Carter for a minute in the
control room."

"Well, I think we've finished, unless there was something more you wish to discuss, Major?"

"Yes ...Oh I nearly forgot," she answered looking at the forms in her hands. "Could you sign these for me, sir? They're release forms from Doctor Fraiser putting me light duty."

"Yes, I'll look them over for you. You'd better be going Major. Sargent Davis will be waiting."

"Thank you, sir." She got up and left the room. O'Neill watched her go, grinned, and shook his head.

"Jack?"

"Sir...oh I was just thinking it was good to have her back. Well, I know she won't be back properly for a couple of weeks but... Oh you know what I mean?"

"Yes, Jack I do. And before you ask...no I didn't discuss that other matter with her. I think it will be better left for a while, don't you?"

"Yes, sir, I agree."

General Hammond stood at the bottom of the ramp waiting. The Stargate had activated a couple of minutes before. The ID code that was sent identified the activators as the Tok'ra. After ordering the iris to be opened, Hammond had gone down to welcome the visitor.

The Tok'ra had made contact again with Earth 48 hours before. Hammond had dispatched SG-6 more or less immediately with a message for the High Council. Upon their return, he was surprised to receive a message from the Supreme High Councillor Per'sus himself stating that he would look into the matter personally.

"So this must be the response," Hammond thought to himself.

A few moments the event horizon shimmered and Jacob Carter stepped out. Walking up the ramp, Hammond greeted his old friend with a handshake.

"Jacob, I was not expecting to see you. The message we received said you were still on a mission." They walked down the ramp and out of the gate room.

"Yes, George, I got back yesterday in time to hear some interesting things. But before we discuss that, where is Sam? Is she all right?"

"Yes, she's fine now. It's taken a while, but she's ok."

"What happened?" Jacob asked concerned, " I was told she'd broken her shoulder."

"Yes...but it's healed now. She can tell you about it herself."

"Does she know about what was in that communication you sent to the Council?"

"Yes, I discussed it with her before it was sent. She wanted it left alone, but I told
her I couldn't do that. She agreed reluctantly."

"Well, I need to speak to her about a few things. Where are we going?" Jacob asked as they turned down the corridor leading away from the gate room.

"To meet SG-1. They've been doing some training over at Ft Carson. Colonel O'Neill phoned down to say that they were returning just before the gate activated. He wanted to talk to me. They should be down any minute."

Just then, the sound of an elevator door opening and laughter came from around the corner. They recognised the laughter as that of Jack and Daniel. Grinning at each other the two of them walked around the corner and met SG-1.

"Dad! What are you doing here?" Sam shouted running to him.

"Came to see you. What did you think!" Jacob teased her as he put his arms around her.

"And here I was thinking you'd come to see me." O'Neill answered lightly. " It's good to see you Jacob." He walked over and shook Jacob's hand.

"And you Jack, Daniel, Teal'c," he shook their hands as well.

"How's my daughter doing, Jack, is she ready to go back to work?"

"Dad...."

Laughing, O'Neill answered " Well, I think she's ready." Turning to Hammond he said, "I think Major Carter is fit to return to full duty, Sir."

" That's good to hear, Colonel. I'll put SG-1 back on the rotation."

" Um.... Gentlemen, would you mind if I had a word in private with Sam for a while? We have something to discuss," Jacob asked suddenly serious.

O'Neill looked at him just as seriously. " I think we would all like to hear this,
Jacob."

" Colonel..." Hammond started to say but Jacob held his hand up to stop him.

" It's ok, George. He's right. They have a right to know as well. However, Jack, I
would like to talk to Sam alone first. I promise I'll explain everything to you later. Ok?"

" Ok. We'll see you later, Carter."

"Give me a minute Dad. I need to take my P-90 down to the armoury."

"Don't worry about that Carter. I'll do it this time. Go talk to your father." O'Neill answered coming to take her P-90 off her.

" Thanks, sir. See you later, guys." She nodded to Daniel and Teal'c. Then she and Jacob walked off, arm in arm.

It was a few hours later. Jack and his teammates were sitting at the briefing room
table with Hammond and Jacob: Sam wasn't present, but Jacob assured them she just wanted some time to think alone.

" Why would they not tell her about Martouf, Jacob?" Daniel asked getting straight to the point. "Did you know?"

" No, Daniel, I didn't," Jacob sighed, " Apparently it was a decision made by a small faction of the council with the backing of the scientists who where able to
revive him. Very few knew about it. Aldwin found out completely by accident."

" Did Per'sus know?" Hammond asked.

" No. If he had known he would have made sure Sam knew. He was very angry about the fact that she was not told."

" So the next question is... why?" Jack said.

" This may sound silly to you but.... Revenge."

" WHAT? Against Carter?" Jack exclaimed, " She's done nothing but help the Tok'ra!"

" Hear me out Jack," Jacob held his hand up, " No, not against Sam. Jolinar."

"B-B-But that makes even less sense," Daniel interrupted, " She was one of them!"

" Be patient gentlemen please and I'll try to explain. The Tok'ra have been fighting the Goa'uld for hundreds of years now. The Council was first set up as an advisory body to help the Supreme High Councillor decide how best to do this. Plan strategies and so on. As is the case on Earth, sometimes these council
members form alliances amongst themselves. Let's call them the Left and Right. Sometimes arguments between the Left and Right would flare up. Selmak herself was on neither side, for this she was respected by both groups. She could always be trusted to give an impartial opinion on an issue. She also had the knack of being able to defuse a heated discussion. Garshaw respected her and valued her advice.

Jolinar was different. She rose through the ranks of the normal Tok'ra. She was quite often able to turn disaster into victory in skirmishes and battles. Because of
this, she gained the respect of the lower ranked Tok'ra. This made her a natural and capable advisor to the High Councillor. Garshaw started to rely on her more and more. This made the Left faction jealous. It did not help matters when Rosha became her host. Suddenly she was very beautiful. Then of course she escaped from Netu. This made Jolinar more of a hero for the lower ranked Tok'ra."

" I can imagine," Jack said as Jacob stopped to take a drink of water.

"It might also explain why she attracted the attention of Cronus," Teal'c added.

" Yes, Teal'c. Her disappearance and then death was a big blow to the Tok'ra cause. It is Selmak's opinion that Cronus hoped this would permanently damage the Tok'ra. However, the direct result was the alliance with Earth. It was just a
shame Jolinar died. You would have liked her."

" Well, our meeting was not particularly pleasant. But under different circumstances...Jacob you said the Council members still held animosity to Jolinar. But she's been dead for 3 years. Surely, they could have put their jealousy to one side?"

" Three years is like three days for the Tok'ra, George, they've lived for so long.
Also the other Tok'ra still talk about her."

"So they decided to keep this from Sam...what did Per'sus say? Which faction does he belong to?" Daniel asked.

" Neither faction. Though he tends to lean towards the right. He was furious. When Lantash was saved, Per'sus was away on Tollana with the council members from the right faction. The council members that stayed behind informed him of the scientist's success with Lantash. He just assumed that Sam knew about it. I'm told there was fireworks when he read your message, George. But that was nothing compared to when I found out. I had to be physically restrained...Well, that's beside the point...Per'sus demanded an explanation. After that he very got quite angry again and basically told them never to do something like this again. They were quite surprised when they found out Sam wanted nothing to be done about it."

" Yes, well...she realises the importance of the alliance with the Tok'ra, for Earth's sake. That is more important to her."

" Yes, Jack...that's what she told me. I must say I was not surprised. The council members were however." Jacob chuckled, " We are after all, talking about a woman who devised a way to blow up a sun. They have been very humbled over this gentlemen."

" Good..." Jack muttered under his breath. " So, Jacob, does this mean they are going to give Carter the information she wanted about the zatarc programming?"

" That was never mentioned, Jack. Sam has said she will leave it a month and then start the negotiation process again. She'll have to go to the scientists themselves. Not even the council knows how it can be done. All they have been told is that it's, possible to reprogram the zatarc's."

" So we're back where we started," Hammond said sitting back in his chair. " So how long are you staying with us, Jacob?"

Sam had been cleared to resume active duty on Thursday and it had been decided that SG-1 would go back onto the mission rotation the Monday after that.

Jacob had decided to stay until the following evening. Though he spent most of his time with Sam in her lab, he also had meetings with Hammond and Colonel O'Neill. They'd discussed ways that the SGC and the Tok'ra could better coordinate their activities.

It was 08:00 on Saturday morning. Sam was having a nice relaxing bath. After seeing her father off the day before, the four members of SG1 had gone for a meal together to celebrate Sam's return to duty. Then they had said good-bye and gone their separate ways. Because they had been practically living in each other's pockets, it had been decided that they would not get together that weekend. That was fine with Sam. Though she had been grateful for the help and care they had given her, she wanted to spend some time alone.

She woke up that morning with a cramp in her shoulder, probably from the previous week's training. Janet warned her that she would continue to experience this, a hot soothing bath would help to loosen the muscles. Which was why she was having a bath that morning. Though she was fully fit, Sam decided that she would continue the exercises she'd been doing in the base gym and local fitness club.

After dressing and having breakfast, Sam did some straightening up around the house before leaving for the gym. She wasn't scheduled to be there until 09:15, after which she planned on working on her Harley the rest of the day.

She was so busy concentrating on the road, and planning her day that she failed to pay attention to the large white van that was following her...

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to MAL