Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

At the Door

by Lyn B
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
At the Door

Lyn B

Title: At the Door
AUTHOR: Lyn B
E-MAIL: sg1shipper@yahoo.com
STATUS: Complete
CATEGORY: D/J romance, a bit of angst (I think), some strong language, male bashing, and a hint of S/Jack
RATING: PG-13
SUMMARY: Something's got Jan in a bad mood until someone shows up at her door.
SPOILERS/SEASON: S4, one tiny mention of a character from RoP
SEQUEL: First in the series, "Interruptions"
ARCHIVE: DJA, my site (http://www.geocities.com/sg1shipper), any others please ask.
FEEDBACK: yes please.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own stargate or any of its characters. Gekko, MGM, and some more lucky people like that do. I'm in college and I own nothing, so there's no point in coming after me.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is the first story that I've finished and the second that I've started. Hopefully there will be many more.
DEDICATED: to all the lovely people who keep harassing me about my fic. Without you guys, there would be no fic written by me.

Janet slammed her keys down on the end table as she kicked her shoes across the room. Thank God it was a weekend and Cassie was off at a friend's house. She so needed the girl's night in that she and Sam had planned for that night.

She shrugged off her coat and left it in a pile on the floor of her living room. She entered her bedroom and carelessly stripped off the rest of her clothes as she left them where they fell.

She finally stepped under the shower's spray and let out a sigh as she let the water's pounding work the kinks out of her body. If only it were that easy to work the kinks out her life. She rested her cheek against the cold tile wall as she thought back over the horrendous day she'd had.

It had started out bad from the start. She had set her alarm for 6:30PM rather than AM. Thank God for Cassie or she'd have had an even later start. After Cassie had woken her, she'd thrown clothes on forgoing a shower. Then she dashed out the door past Cassie and Dominic, clutching a piece of toast in on hand and her keys in the other.

She finally reached Cheyenne Mountain after a hellish traffic experience she never wanted to repeat. And of course she was immediately thrown into an infirmary filled with bleeding bodies after an encounter with some not-so-happy Jaffa. After a few harrowing hours of work, all of the members were stable and she could look forward to SG-1's scheduled return.

Post-mission exams were great fun for her, and not for the reasons that Jack O'Neill alleged. Really, they were the best excuse she had to get "up close and personal" with one very attractive Dr. Daniel Jackson.

Janet sighed again as *his* name came to mind. The reason for all her screwed up thoughts. The reason she was currently standing in the shower just thinking as the water ran cold.

She turned off the water with a jerk of the knob and wrapped herself up in a towel. Putting on a robe and grabbing a comb, she entered her bedroom and flopped on the bed. She pulled herself into a cross-legged sitting position and began to run the comb through her wet hair as she continued to recall the events that followed SG-1's arrival in the infirmary.

None of the team were in a particularly pleasant mood, but Janet could attribute that to the fact that they'd been away on a three day mission to a "dull-ass planet with nothing but trees and rocks" had been Jack's comment which earned him a piercing glare from Daniel.

Janet had missed having them around, but through their exams they'd been crankier than three year olds. Apparently, SG-1 had had a little too much time just the four of them alone on that planet and tempers had flared. Even Teal'c was harder to deal with than usual and that was saying a lot.

She had initially tried to be nice and cheerful, but after sullen silence and snarky replies, she got about her business. She started with Teal'c, figuring he'd be the easiest to deal with. Got through Jack without killing him, barely.

Sam came in next. She wasn't much of a problem and they agreed to have a girl's night of getting drunk and talking about things they shouldn't. Gotta love friends like that.

After Sam's check-up, Janet was looking forward to a few minutes alone with Daniel. She should have saved herself some trouble and tried to pawn him off on one of the other doctors that was on duty. She asked him a few questions about the mission and got one word vague replies. He just stared off into space and ignored her. Finally, he looked up at her and asked, "Are we done yet?"

She had to control herself to keep from hitting him. Her knuckles turned white as she clenched her clipboard to her chest. She nodded slightly, knowing that if she opened her mouth, she'd loose it. Daniel hopped off the bed and left the infirmary without a word.

She could have killed him. She went through the rest of the day steaming about it.

Janet started as she jerked the comb violently through her hair, pulling roughly at her scalp. Stupid, infuriating man. She wanted to strangle him and seduce him from one moment to the next. The man was *so* blind!

She walked down to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of wine to start off the night. She checked the clock. 6:10. Sam would be coming about 6:30. She got dressed in a pair of jeans and a comfy sweater, leaving her hair to air dry. It wasn't like she needed to look nice for anyone. Sam wouldn't care what she looked like. They were just getting drunk together. She laughed to herself at the thought.The doorbell rang. Janet looked at the clock. 6:15. Hmm. Sam was rather early, but oh well. Never too early to start crying in your beer--or wine for that matter, she thought.

She took her glass with her to the door, knowing Sam wouldn't mind that she'd started without her. She opened the door without bothering to check who it was and almost spit her mouthful of wine all over Daniel, who was standing there with a sheepish expression on his face. She coughed on her wine.

"Hi," Daniel said. "Sorry, did I catch you at a bad time?"

"Huh," Janet asked. Daniel gestured to her wine glass, and Janet realized what he was talking about. "Oh, no. Sam's just coming over, and I was getting a head start."

She realized what she'd said and mentally smacked herself. 'Great, Jan. Now he thinks you have no life. And knows you have a reason to get completely trashed.'

Daniel cleared his throat and asked, "Um, do you mind if I come in for a second before Sam gets here?"

Janet blinked at him. 'Did he really want to come in? What was going on?'

"Yea, sure," she found herself saying as she backed up to let him in.

"Thanks," he said as he went into her living room.

Janet closed the door and leaned back against it. 'What the hell was he doing here?'

She stood there until Daniel called out to her. "Jan, you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming." She started slowly into the other room, running a trembling hand through her still damp hair and smoothing down her clothing only then realizing she what she was dressed in. Damn. 'He's probably got a legitimate reason for being here, Janet.' She tried to reason with herself. 'Besides, it's not like he'd actually be here just to see you.' Another voice piped up. 'Shut up.'

She finally entered the other room to find Daniel sitting on one end of her couch. Unbidden images of other reasons he could be on that couch flashed through her mind and she had to shake herself to sternly to focus. "So," she began casually, "What brings you to this neighborhood?" She picked up her wine glass off the coffee table and perched on the arm of a chair.

Daniel shifted and looked uncomfortable. Janet's heart started to beat faster despite her attempts to calm herself. She leaned slightly forward and waited.

"Well, this is kind of a difficult thing to say," he began. He licked his lips as he paused. Janet almost fell off her chair right there.

"Yes?" Oh god. Was that breathy voice really her's? Luckily Daniel didn't seem to notice.

He continued. "Yeah, well. I was wondering..." He ran a hand through he his hair.

'Just get on with it!' she thought. Although she did find it rather adorable the way he was beating around the bush.

He seemed to gather himself together and finished. "Have you noticed anything really strange about Sam lately?"

Janet couldn't move. She was sure her mouth was gaping.

"I mean," Daniel said, "She's been really quiet and distant lately. And you should see the way she is around Jack on missions..." He kept rambling on as it dawned on Janet that he was really sitting in her living room to talk to her about Sam!

She had almost controlled herself when she heard Daniel finish, "I mean I just notice these things."

The sheepish look on his face was too much to take. He noticed things! She stood and turned around as emotions bubbled up in her. The stupid, self-contained man. He couldn't see what was going on in front of his nose! Granted Sam was acting really strange lately. But that was hardly the point, she told herself. Daniel couldn't see her practically throwing herself at his feet, and he thought he noticed "these things."

Janet felt something in her snap. It was just too much for one woman to handle at once. A strangled sound release from her throat, and she turned on him.

"Jan?" Daniel asked, concern on his face.

Any other time, that concern would have been a wonderful thing for Janet to see, but at this point it just added fuel to her fire. 'He has no clue what this is about. Dense, adorable bastard.'

"What's wrong?"

That did it. Janet lost her last thread of control and flew at him. She started smacking every available surface--his face, arms, and chest mostly. Tears ran down her cheeks as she rambled, "Don't see... so blind... densest ever... stupid asshole...can't see... love you..."

Daniel was stunned at the attack. At first he made no attempt to fight her off, but finally he tried to grab her hands and bring her under control. Big mistake. She was a small woman, but she was also a strong, military trained woman who was extremely pissed off at him. She struggled violently when he attempted to calm her.

The next thing either of them knew, they were on the floor, Daniel very intimately pressing Janet into the carpet. They both gasped at the contact and stilled immediately.

Daniel started to apologize immediately for the signs of his obvious arousal, although Janet noticed he made no move to get off her. She pressed her finger to his lips and shushed him gently. "Be quiet, you stupid man."

He would have responded, but her finger remained on his lips. They both stared at each other as the reality of what was happening sank in.

Daniel nipped at Janet's finger lightly with his teeth, and she shivered. A wide grin spread across his face. He looked into her eyes and his grin faded into seriousness. Their lips hovered centimeters apart.

Daniel looked to Janet and found no objections to his next actions. He lowered his head and gently pressed his lips to hers.

What began as a gentle, affectionate kiss rapidly moved deeply passionate. Daniel had his hand at the hem of Janet's sweatshirt when the doorbell rang.

"Oh God" and "shit." Where the swift replies.

"Who could that be?" Daniel asked, his lips resting against her forehead as they both tried to control their breathing.

Janet tried to return to normal brain function and her plans finally came forward. "Damn." She swore. "It's Sam. We were going to have a girl's night in."

Daniel groaned and reluctantly rose to his feet, then helped Janet up. She ran a hand through her tousled hair and tried to take mental stock of her appearance then eyed Daniel. They were fine.

By this time, they could hear Sam calling out worriedly and fumbling with her keys, so Janet went to let her in.

Daniel grinned as she left. She couldn't know it, but she definitely looked thoroughly kissed. He told himself that the only reason he hadn't told her was that she couldn't have done anything about it. 'Yeah, that was it.' 'Sure it was' that annoying voice piped up. 'Shut up.'

Janet opened the door to find Sam standing there, a bottle of wine in hand.

Sam's cheerful greeting faded from her lips as she took in Janet's appearance.

"Um...hi," she said after a long pause. "You want to do this some other time?" she asked with an arched eyebrow and a smirk.

"Huh?" Janet frowned at her in confusion.

Sam couldn't contain her grin. "Well, it definitely looks to me like you've been getting some. And far be it from me to interrupt."

Janet felt the blood rush to her cheeks. "Oh," she said softly. 'Damn Daniel for not saying something.'

"No, you better come in."

Sam stepped into the entryway and set down the wine on the end table. "So, who've you got hidden away in here?" she joked as she went into the next room. Janet followed quietly with the bottle of wine.

Sam's jaw dropped when she saw Daniel standing in the middle of the room fiddling with something and looking slightly bemused.

"Daniel?" she sputtered and turned to Janet with a questioning look.

Janet felt her face flush hotter if that was even possible.

"Hi, Sam." Daniel casually replied as if there was nothing out of the ordinary about him standing in the middle of Janet's rec room with rumpled clothes and tousled hair.

"Um..." Sam looked bewildered and looked at Daniel then Janet then back again in disbelief.

Janet took pity on her and dragged her into the kitchen after exchanging a brief, meaningful glance with Daniel.

Sam whirled on her as soon as they crossed the threshold. "What is Daniel doing here?"

Janet set the wine on the counter and tried to come up with an easy answer. "Well you see..."

Sam cut her off with a barrage of further questions. "How long has this been going on? Are you seeing each other? When were you going to tell me? I thought we told each other everything like this."

She paused for breath and a funny look crossed her face. "Are you sleeping with him?"

"No." Janet hissed. She started to get angry, but then saw the hurt on Sam's face and quickly cooled down.

"I was going to tell you, of course." She lifted her hand as Sam opened her mouth, "But it *just* happened. So I couldn't have told you."

Sam's jaw dropped for the second time that night. "Wow." Then it hit her. "I interrupted you guys, didn't I?"

Janet felt her now cool cheeks heat up again. "Well actually..."

Sam looked aghast. "Oh God. I'm so sorry! I'll leave. We can do this another night." She headed for the door.

"No don't." Janet stopped her with a hand on her arm. "We already had plans." She smiled to reassure her.

"Besides," she paused, "I need to talk to someone about this, and I don't want to rush into anything."

'And believe me, I have a hard time keeping my hands off him.' she thought.

Sam nodded. "Okay." She picked up the wine off the counter. She held it up to Janet. "I'll stay in here and open this." She smiled wickedly. "Give you a little time to say *goodbye*." She winked suggestively.

"Sam!" Janet yelped.

Sam laughed. "Go on." She urged and began to rummage in a drawer for the corkscrew.

Janet paused at the doorway of the rec room. Daniel had his back turned to her and was studying the pictures she had hanging on the wall. Most of them were of Cassie and SG-1 and herself.

Daniel shifted slightly, and she drew in a breath as she watched his muscles ripple under the tight polo shirt. 'Down girl. Sam's in the other room.' She reminded herself forcefully.

She continued to observe him until he felt her eyes on him and turned around. He smiled and she clenched her fist in reaction.

"So," he said, moving towards her. "How 'bout a rain check?"

She walked over to meet him in the middle of the room. "Definitely." They stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like forever until the sounds of Sam puttering around in the kitchen filtered into their senses.

Janet bit her lip. "Let me walk you out."

Daniel grinned and put his hand on the small of her back as they headed toward the door. Janet shivered at his touch.

"So..." she began once they reached the door. "I'll see you on base tomorrow?"

"Yes."

She reached to open the door for him, and his hand came down over hers to stop her. She looked up questioningly, and his lips came down onto hers.

When she could breath again, she whispered a shaky "good night."

"Good night, Janet." He responded. "I'll come by your office tomorrow." He promised. And with one final look, he closed the door.

Janet leaned back against the door to gather her senses then headed to the kitchen to find Sam.

On the other side of the door, Daniel stood with a silly grin on his face. 'Well, that went surprisingly well.' He was extremely glad that he'd found an excuse to come over. 'And I get to see her tomorrow...'

He whistled to himself as he headed to his car.

Inside the house, Janet was getting grilled for information. "So is Daniel a good kisser?"

Sam took Janet's sigh as a huge affirmative.

THE END...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback toLyn B