Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Losing Bets

by Linz
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Losing Bets

Losing Bets

by Lindsay

TITLE: Losing Bets
AUTHOR: Lindsay
EMAIL:lindsaymallen@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack romance
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sequel to Blind Date
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS:none
SUMMARY: Do we see General Hammond in a punk wig?
STATUS: Completed
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This originally was just a sequel, but I decided to make it part 2 of a trilogy. The final part is called Anniversary Speech. Hope you like them.

"Jack if you pace up and down anymore, Sam won't make it to the altar because of the trench!"

"DanielJackson is correct O'Neill; you have no need to question Major Carter's intentions. Has she not already agreed to become your wife?"

"Jack looked from one of his best men to the other. Oh yeah, they could talk, it wasn't one of them getting married. "For crying out loud, I need to clam down". OK, so they'd only got together three weeks ago. Yes it was fast, but it was Sam, his Sam. He'd loved her for so long anyway, he knew he would never stop. Not now, he was in way too deep. Plus he knew beyond a doubt that she loved him too."

"When she'd said "quick", he hadn't realised that she had meant quite this quick. But it was like she said Valentines Day was perfect. Everyone he cared about was there, even Sarah and her new husband. Everything looked great, Janet and Cassie had done an amazing job. Although he was looking at the people and the decorations, he wasn't really seeing them. He was too engrossed in the idea that in about half an hour, Sam would be his wife. His forever. He couldn't wait to see her, to hear her say those words that would bind them together for the rest of their lives. Patience (it had frequently been commented) was not one of his strong points."

While he stood waiting, Jack remembered back to the night they'd spent together after Daniel's day of playing Cupid. It was all he had ever dreamed of and more, which he acknowledged, was no mean feet considering the amount of dreams on that subject he had endured for about three years! He had proposed that night and when Sam wasted not a single moment before accepting him, he had thought his world complete.

The only problem they had envisioned had been the whole "going public" thing. The reaction they had got from their friends and family had not been thought a problem, it was the military part of the issue that had defied expectation and had been surprisingly easy. But then again with the President on your side, things tend to be that way. Both were allowed to keep their commission and remain on SG-1, the only proviso being that their role on SG-1 was at General Hammond's discretion. Well that was fine by Jack.

Once that aspect had been sorted out, they were left to tell friends and family. Everyone's reaction had been the same, "finally" and "what took you so long" rang out several hundred times. Janet and Cassie had taken it upon themselves to become both wedding co-ordinators and chief bridesmaids. Although Teal'c, Daniel and General Hammond had been outwardly ecstatic, Jack sensed something going on under the surface that concerned him. After a couple of days he had had enough and had threatened to break Daniel's coffee machine unless he told him what the Hell was going on.

Jack couldn't help admiring Daniel's determination and guts. I mean fancy betting Hammond to wear a punk wig. It was great, he wished he'd have thought of it! The thought of seeing General Hammond in public, in a punk wig... well that was strong enough motive to anyone. But the fact of the matter was that Jack didn't need any other motive to have a kid with Sam, he wanted a new family. One that would be shared with the woman he loved more than life itself. Could things be any more perfect?

The answer was soon upon him. Daniel nudged him and cocked his head, directing Jack's previously daydream-glazed eyes to the vision a few yards away.

As his knees threatened to buckle and his lungs temporarily forgot to breathe, Jack's heart nearly burst through his chest. Walking towards him, on the arm of her father, was the most beautiful creature. His Sam. She was dressed in the most simple but spectacular ivory wedding dress which fitted her body like a second skin. She looked truly stunning.

His reaction was lost on no one. To see Colonel Jack O'Neill, kick ass leader of the planet's first line team looking like a landed guppy who was about to be given the world in his pocket warmed the heartstrings of even the most hardened and cynical among us. Daniel's beaming smile could not be contained and moved more quickly through the gathering than gate travel. But it was on Sam that that look had the most effect.

Sam could still not believe that this was her wedding day, even though Janet and Cassie's activities reminded her on a daily basis, she couldn't quite grasp that it had finally arrived (and for a quantum physicist knowledge of time is just a bit important). She had virtually given up hope of ever being truly happy, because the one person who could give her that was not allowed to do so, let alone actually want to.

Yet here she was, walking down the aisle and about to marry that self-same man who led the way to her future. She had feared it was all a bittersweet dream that she would eventually wake up from, left only with reality. But as she walked with her father, she glanced at her Jack and saw that look on his face. A look that mirrored her own emotions perfectly. Happiness, love and gratitude to the forces that brought them together, and a huge thanks to Daniel of course.

She felt the threat of tears as she saw the soul of the man she loved. She had never doubted his feelings, even with the speed of it all; besides he didn't exactly hide it from anyone. Not even from Martouf who had accompanied her father to earth after receiving the urgent message from her. Jacob although amazed was happy for them, but Jack took great pleasure in telling "Marty" the news. In some part of her mind, she felt bad for Martouf, but she was not Jolinar. She was Samantha Carter, soon to be Samantha O'Neill.

She looked again to Jack, he stood before her tall and proud in his uniform promising her all the love and happiness in the universe and as she was brought to his side, she turned her eyes to his and made the same promise back. They had never really needed words...

"Dearly beloved..."

LATER: Wedding Speeches.

"As one of the best men, I drew the short straw in the speeches department, besides Teal'c is bigger than me, so it's up to me I guess."

"When I first met Jack, I can't say that we hit it off...actually when Teal'c met Jack they didn't hit it off either...in fact, Sam didn't get off to a good start either... As a scientist I believe that there may be a pattern there..."

"The thing I found out though was that Jack likes to play the tough guy. But, to coin a phase, he's a teddy bear really! Right from the start, Sam wouldn't let him intimidate her and believe me she gave just as good as she got and even won a few of their famous sparring matches. Anyway, the sparks he struck with Sam were most definitely *different* from the sparks Jack struck with any of us. I think we all knew pretty much straight away that they would end up together. There were certainly enough bets made! By the way General, I believe that I'm halfway closer to you wearing that punk wig! In all seriousness, I believe that when Jack lost that bet to me which meant he had to meet Sam that night is probably the only time in his life that Jack has been grateful for defeat."

"Today I have watched as my two best friends finally made legal what we had known for a long time. But both were too "military" to let it show. It was up to someone else to give them a push and to finish what fate had started. I will forever be thankful that I was that person, cause now I have ammunition to fire at Jack when he is being an ass!"

"To Jack and Sam here's hoping the sparing will go on for a long time!" (Everyone toasts the couple)

"PS - by the way Jack, I have heard the phrase "completely whipped" applied to you, but the only thing *I* will say on the matter is that when Sam kisses you *your* face disappears for a *month*."

As the applause settles Jack stands up

"Firstly I would like to thank you all for coming and sharing what is the best moment of my life. Secondly, a few personal thanks... Daniel, for getting us... well for having the smarts to see what we couldn't and for having the guts to risk it all and sort us out. Teal'c for being you, for taking me aside and threatening my life if I ever hurt Sam and for actually wearing that uniform! General Hammond for going against the whole air force and making it possible to keep us on SG-1, together. Jacob, thank you for not only helping to produce my wife, but also for being crazy enough to let her marry me!"

"Finally I would like to thank Sam. For being the woman to complete me and the one to make my heart beat again. For loving me *despite* knowing me, and for helping *me* make one more announcement..."

"Daniel, I do believe that there was a mistake in your speech, apart from the "teddy bear" thing. General Hammond, I am assured by an impeachable source that Daniel is more than half way towards winning his bet. Mr and Mrs Col. O'Neill would like to announce the arrival, in abut eight and a half months, of the first of what will undoubtedly be many children! Which means this (Jack holds up a purple and bright pink punk wig) is yours for the day!!!"

Jack pulled his new wife into his arms and kissed her, neither one noticing the wild applause and cheers, neither caring whether the applause was for the news of the baby or for the sight of the General in the wig.

EIGHT AND A BIT MONTHS LATER:

"DanielJackson I do believe it would be in your best interests to stop pacing. The birth is going well."

A little excitedly... "But Teal'c their having a baby!!"

"I am well aware of that fact DanielJackson, as are you. I am also aware of the earth custom for the father to pace, why then are you doing so?"

"Cause I'm happy and excited, Teal'c. I'm gonna be an Uncle! So are you, come on, lighten up"

"I could not possibly change my body weight so easily DanielJackson"

"General, could you explain to him...

" What he means son, is give him a break. We're about to get our very first SG baby"

"Teal'c that is my daughter in there giving birth to my grandchild. I think that it is cause for a little excitement. Even Selmak is giddy"

"Very well General Carter, I will attempt to "lighten up" With that an expression crossed the huge Jaffa's face which caused a great deal of merriment for those present.

Just then Jack strolled out of the delivery room bearing a smile that resembled the one he wore at his wedding.

"Everything all right Jack?"

"Everything is great Daniel. Sam's Ok Jacob, tired but Ok. Can you all wait here a minute, there's someone I want you to meet."

He returned a few minutes later holding a tiny bundle in his arms.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce to you Miss Charlotte Danielle O'Neill."

"Charlie say 'hi' to Uncle Daniel, Uncle Teal'c, Auntie Janet, Auntie Cassie, Grandpa Jacob and Honorary Grandpa George. They are your extended family, and if I know any of them they'll be involved in almost every aspect of your life. You've got a personal bodyguard, a personal tutor and the means to have the USAF do your bidding. And we're are all going to give you the galaxy on a silver plate.

General Hammond clapped Jack's shoulder...

"Well son, this special little girl was worth losing a bet any day"

The End of Part 2.

Feedback please!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lindsay