Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mysterious Author

by Linz
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mysterious Author

Mysterious Author

by Linz

TITLE: Mysterious Author
AUTHOR: Linz
EMAIL: lindsaymallen@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f
SUMMARY: Jack gets an anonymous letter.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Jack was sat at his desk, on his left was a box for outgoing files. Total content: 2. On his right was his incoming box. Total content: 16. He looked up from the object that had kept his attention for the past few hours, he knew that Hammond was not going to be a happy man when he didn't get the paperwork he had all but ordered him to do. But dammit, Crash Bandicoot was just so addictive!

As he turned himself back to his game, a sharp rap came at his door. "Uh - oh, this is *not* gonna be pretty!" he thought to himself as he quickly stashed the incriminating object under his desk a split second before the door opened allowing a rather rankled General to step through.

"Colonel O'Neill. I am normally quite an easy going commanding officer, but I would appreciate it if you could do your *best* to make my life a little easier and actually *do* some paperwork. The Air Force gets just a little picky about mission reports and the like."

Jack picked up his pen, putting his best "whatever you say Sir" expression on his face. But Hammond didn't buy it, not for a second.

"I'm sorry Sir, I just kept getting distracted by outside influences. It won't happen again. See, look, I'm writing as we speak.

"Very well Colonel, but seeing as how I am about to give you several new additions to your inbox, it would be remiss of me to allow any further distractions for one of my best officers"

Jack watched helplessly as Hammond moved to the wall, removed the plug and then took the offending machine into his arms, pulling the controller out from under the desk.

"Just to make sure that you won't get *distracted* by anything else Colonel."

Jack continued to stare as the General left his office with a *very* smug smile on his face having just confiscated his means of entertainment. He looked at the pile of work that awaited him, he groaned a groan of a man who was *not* looking forward to his next few hours.

"Report, requisition, report, " He chanted as he quickly looked over the contents of his inbox, his boredom blatant. "New storage...report... Requisition..." Suddenly he stopped, the piece of mail he was now holding had caught his attention. It was neither a report nor a requisition. In fact, it wasn't even military. The envelope was plain white, normal A4 size, with a computer type print addressing it only to "Colonel O'Neill."

He turned it over in his hands, checking for any way of identifying the mysterious mail. There was none. All thoughts of official *requests* had vanished and his curiosity piqued, which we all know is a dangerous combination for this particular man. He slipped his fingers under the seal and ripped it open with as much grace as you would expect from our rather impatient Colonel.

He pulled out a single sheet of A4, computer typed with no signature. He sat himself upright as he read, his shock and confusion mounting with each sentence.

"Jack, I know that you will be a little 'confused' at getting this letter, but I just had to do something. Apparently this is a 'cathartic release' which is supposedly a good thing for me. For such a long time I have felt more for you than I should have, more than is proper for the Air Force to allow. (Yes Jack, that does mean I'm Air Force too) I have felt myself gradually fall more and more in love with you, from the day we first met to now. Everytime I see you I can't help but wonder what might have been had it not been for regulations. I know that I have broken rules, that is one reason why I'm telling you how I feel this way. For the sakes of both our careers, it's safer this way. Don't get me wrong though, regulations aren't the only thing making me so cowardly. The main reason is that I can't imagine that you return my feelings. That is why I'm writing this. I have been advised (and I use that word loosely) by close friends to at least give you a choice. So I am. If you want to pursue this (and me) reply to the box number on the top of the page. If you don't please feel free to ignore this, maybe it would be better if you did. Either way, it is your choice. "

Shock.

That was the sum total of Jack's response to the letter for a good few minutes. He couldn't believe what he had just read, so he read it again... and again.

"Oh my God! Someone on this base loves me, what do I do now?" The question was rhetorical. He knew full well what he was going to do. He pulled the cap of his pen, pulled out a wad of paper and thought for a moment.

There weren't that many female airmen on base, not who would have the ability to send him a letter to his SGC inbox anyway. He could count about 20, most of which he could discard. The letter was written by someone who saw him frequently, the type of writing suggested it was someone he knew at least by their first name. After all, they called him "Jack" and in the Air Force that was a big clue. Not many first names where used unless the relationship was fairly close. He consciously stopped himself from any further analysis; that was a road that was not safe for him to walk. "*She* isn't going to do something like this Jack, use your head and stop wishing, Life isn't that kind, besides, she doesn't even call you 'Jack'"

For once, he did just as his better judgement suggested, he stopped thinking of who it could be and set about writing a letter that would allow him to find out who it actually was.

He wandered down the corridor towards the internal mailbox, a hint of a grin showing on his face. He had a plan.

His mystery woman (And God did he hope it was a woman) wasn't the only cunning one. Yes, she'd given him an unused mailbox number, meaning that he couldn't trace a name to the box, which had been the first thing he'd tried. However, what she probably hadn't figured was that if the box was unnamed, the mail couldn't be delivered by the guys who did that stuff. It would have to be collected *in person*. Which meant that a simple stakeout of the internal mailboxes would reveal the identity of his admirer.

"Not as dumb as I look, am I?" he said to no one in particular as he posted his reply. He knew the mail was collected and delivered at 1600hrs, so he sauntered back to his office in order to appease his general while he waited for his newest *mission*.

The Airman looked on puzzled as a USAF Colonel crouched behind a drinks machine. He didn't say anything, the look the Colonel had given him a few minutes ago spoke volumes and this Airman was not stupid enough to misinterpret. He just stood at his guard post and surveyed the scene before him. Wait until he was back at his barracks and he could tell his buddies about a Colonel who spent over 45mins stalking the internal mailboxes!

Jack was too focused on his task to notice the strange smile of the Airman Guard. He was busy watching box number 2109. Everytime a woman walked to the boxes, he held his breath, waiting to see which one she went to. So far, none had even gone close. But he knew that sooner or later she'd have to show up. He just hoped it would be sooner. Patience, it had frequently been commented, was not one of his stronger character traits.

Just then, his attention was captured by a very familiar figure walking up to the mailboxes. "No" His mind screamed incredulously "It can't be *her*" His throat had suddenly become very dry and as he tried to swallow he watched her check her own box. "Yeah, that's ok. I knew hers was next to it" His attempt to allay his fears lasted all of thirty seconds. He huddled further into the machine and watched in disbelief as she carefully looked around before she quickly opened box number 2109 and took out his letter. He was rooted firmly in shock he watched her put the letter in her pocket and smile to herself before turning and walking back from whence she came.

Well, he now knew the identity of his secret admirer, and at that moment he really didn't know what to do about it. Although he was flattered, he had to think of a way to break it to her that he wasn't interested in her 'that' way. I mean he was grateful to her for saving his butt so many times and she was a great and trusted friend, but...

... Doctor Janet Fraiser was not the name he wanted to be able to link with his mystery letter writer.

He wandered in a daze back to his office, for the only time in his life taking solace in the paperwork that awaited him. At least he would be busy with it for hours; hopefully that meant he wouldn't bump into Janet before he had figured out how to let her down gently. With a self- condemning groan he remembered exactly what he had written in reply. He had meant it to be light-hearted and playful, but he had found that while he wrote he had begun to allow himself a cathartic release of his own. The letter he'd written had been a manifestation of his own emotions, his own feelings for a certain lady, but that certain lady was not Janet Fraiser.

He knew that this was going to be difficult, but he had to be honest with her and just pray that she would be able to accept that, which in turn would hopefully leave their professional relationship in tact. How would he ever be able to explain to Hammond his reasons for wanting a different doctor to do his post-mission exams? He also knew that whatever happened, he was never going to be able to look at a needle in the butt from Janet in the same way ever again.

Janet couldn't believe it; she patted the envelope in her pocket once more. He'd *actually* replied. She couldn't wait to see what he had written. She turned towards her final destination with an excitement inside her that reminded her of Cassie's first Earth Christmas.

"Sam, he's replied. Look, it's here. I told you he wouldn't be able to leave it alone. Read it, what does he say?"

If Sam hadn't been completely stunned she would have laughed at the excitement and impatience in her friends voice.

"What? He's replied. Oh my god, he's replied!"

She took the proffered envelope with a shaking hand. She hadn't for one minute thought that he would take it seriously enough to reply. That's why she'd let Janet and Daniel bludgeon her into writing it in the first place. 'Cathartic', she said. 'He won't reply', he said. 'You'll feel better' they both said. Well, so much for their ideas.

OK, it had been cathartic, but now that he had replied, she definitely did not feel better, she was nervous, scared and confused (to name but a few) *and* she hadn't even read the reply yet!

"Sam, look. Don't panic, he's probably been his usual sarcastic self in that letter. It'll probably amount to a "thanks but no thanks" deal. At least he had the decency and courage to acknowledge it"

Logically, everything Janet said made sense. But that didn't stop her panicking did it?

She opened the letter slowly and carefully, knowing that she wasn't quite sure about what she would rather read, a 'sorry but' or a 'lets do it'. Tough choice!

Janet read her mind.

"Sam, there's only one way to find out, open it!"

"Daniel should be here Janet, after all he was part of this."

"I can fill him in later, stop stalling, I want to know what our lovely Colonel has written"

Sam unfolded the letter. It was not typed. He'd taken the time to write it himself, giving it a more personal touch. Ok, was that good or bad? She was tired of thinking, so she just took in his handwriting; it was just like him, bold and strong, standing out against the background.

"Hello, As you might have already guessed, this is Jack here. Before I say (or more appropriately write) anything, I would just like to let you that I was flattered by the fact that I am still charming and dashing enough to get the ladies' attention. I guess when you've got it, you've just got it!"

Sam broke off as she laughed to herself; he never failed to make her smile. Janet watched on, her curiosity at its peak.

"What? What does he say? Why are you laughing?"

"Shhh Janet, let me finish" She dismissed her friends impatience with a small, very Jack-like hand movement as she went back to the letter.

"Seriously though. I wish I knew who you are because we seem to have a lot in common. I can imagine how difficult this decision has been for you to make and thank you for taking into account my career. But you mustn't know me all that well; I tend not to let rules I don't like stand in my way! But I think I can understand how you feel. I too am bound by regulations. I feel the same way that you do, but for the very same reasons as you, I have never said anything. Hey what if you are the person I love? Wouldn't that be something? She lights up my world, her smile and her laugh. I crack jokes just so that I can see her smile, sad isn't it? I don't think I'll ever be able to tell her, like you say a combination of regulations and insecurity is a pairing that I never thought I would be stuck under. They're not two things I experience very often, but it's her I think about. She's so beautiful, and way smarter than I could ever hope to be and I won't ruin her career because I can't control myself. So as you see, I too suffer from unrequited love and as hard as it is, sometimes it's the only choice we have. So I hope that you can understand when I say, it isn't worth sacrificing your career for me. Thank you, Jack."

"*Oh* *My* *God*! Janet, Jack's in love with someone. He loves someone *else*."

The tears welled up in her eyes. She could handle a rejection, after all that was what she had got, but not for the reasons she'd have expected. Her Jack loved another and that hurt. It was bearable when she knew they couldn't be together because of regulations, but knowing he loved someone else hurt her in ways she didn't think possible.

Janet looked at the stricken expression on Sam's face, she took the letter, eager to find out what Jack had said that would have caused this reaction. But as she read, it was not anger that she felt well inside her, it was excitement.

"Sam, do you realise who he is talking about? He's talking about you!"

"Janet, I appreciate that you're trying to make me feel better, but..."

"Sam, shut up and listen. Who else on base does Jack purposely make laugh? Who does he always look at when he says something funny? You, always and only you!"

She looked at Sam's expression, she wasn't buying it.

"Ok, Sam. Who on base does he always describe as "way smarter than we are"?

Sam suddenly remembered the first time she'd been called that, it was the first time she had ever met him. She had wanted to show him how capable she was of doing the job, but it had ended up being the first of their mow famous sparring matches. It was the general who had taken her side and shut Jack up very deftly. She smiled to herself, knowing that since then Jack had used that description on several occasions. Could Janet be right? She could hardly let herself believe it, but she really liked the idea of jack loving her back!

Janet knew the moment she had won, smiling to herself, she set about planning stage 2 of her grand plan. She'd need Daniel's help for this. She also had to report to the General. He had ordered her to keep him up to speed on their latest attack strategy. Who was she to disobey orders?

"Hey Jack, what you doing? Woah, are you actually doing paperwork? Without someone chaining you to the desk...?"

Jack couldn't quite bring a smile to his lips, even though he had to acknowledge that Daniel had actually said something quite funny.

"Sorry Daniel, I've just got something on my mind at the moment"

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Nope!"

"Sure?"

"Yep"

"Okay"

Just as the archaeologist was about to leave, an Airman came in with the internal mail. Daniel hid his smile, Jack's reaction however, was priceless. He just stared at the plain A4 envelope on his desk; he reacted like the Airman had just put a bomb there instead of a letter. Once more Daniel hid his grin. He couldn't afford to blow this. Janet hadn't been able to convince Sam to continue with the plan, so an MD, a Ph.D. and Major General had decided to do it for them.

"Aren't you going to open your letter Jack?

"Nope"

"Why?"

"Because"

"Because what?"

"Never mind Danny, just leave it will you?"

"Come on Jack, what are you expecting, a huge phone bill or something?"

Daniel knew that he was leaving Jack with zero choice, but that was the plan. Jack had to open the letter before phase three could go into operation. Just to put the icing on the famous "piece of cake" Daniel snatched the envelope from Jack's desk.

"I'll open it then"

"Daniel, its federal offence to open someone else's mail"

"So *open* it Jack, Jeez, it's only a letter"

Jack took the letter back, knowing he had no choice, 'mental note, kill Daniel'.

He felt himself cringe, he really had to talk to Janet about this. The letter had suddenly become something serious now he knew who the writer was. Joking wasn't an option. He had to sort this out. He began to read the short but simple message.

"Jack, Meet me. Infirmary: 9pm tonight. We need to talk"

Strange, it wasn't in the same style as the first. It was almost like someone else had written it. But then again, the information content was different this time. He knew that even though he didn't particularly want to go, but he knew that he would be there. Maybe he could salvage this if they talked it through like adults.

Daniel read the unspoken intention in his friend's eyes. "Yes" his mind cheered.

"So, what did you want anyway Daniel?"

Daniel had been waiting for Jack to ask him that since he walked in.

"Oh, not much. We have to have some sort of scan from Janet. Not much really"

Daniel, really had to fight to hide the smile, Jack had gone very, very pale.

Come on Jack, it's only the Doc. What do you think she'll do? Bite?

***

As they got closer to the infirmary, Daniel had sensed Jack's increasing reticence. What they where doing was strictly speaking cruel, but none of the individuals behind the plan could resist the temptation to torment Colonel Jack O'Neill. Daniel had to acknowledge that Jack didn't back away, I mean, he wasn't looking forward to it, but he wasn't running from what (according to Jack's knowledge) could be a very embarrassing situation. Still, no one who knew Jack would have expected him to run he was not that type of man.

"Hey Janet, we're here. What do we have to do?"

"Not a lot really Daniel, just take a bed and I'll put electrodes on your head and that's it. Your only job is to lie still for a while"

Jack nodded. He noticed Sam was already lay down and the medic was busy fixing things to her head, Daniel was just about to lie down, so he took the hint and picked his usual bed. What he had missed was the conspiratorial wink between MD and Ph.D.

As the drapes where pulled round, Janet came into his line of vision. He didn't think of anything except that he just had to keep sensible about this. It was a genuine test and she was a doctor first and foremost. She wouldn't do or say anything to draw attention to her feelings. Oh how wrong he was!

"So Jack, you got my letter then" Janet smiled a sexy smile, one that hid her real impulse to laugh at the sheer panic that crossed his face. Classic.

"I'm so glad Jack, I really thought nothing would ever happen between us..." for the shock value alone she placed her hand against his cheek and stroked his jawline.

"Er, Janet. I don't think..."

"Shhh Jack" She moved her fingers to his lips, silencing him. Man, this was fun. He was actually cringing. "Don't draw attention to us"

"Janet, listen, we have to talk about this..."

"Oh Jack..." She purred "I just want to show you how much I..." Oscars here I come! She thought, he was *seriously* worried now.

"Janet, please listen to me. I don't feel..."

"Jack, you just need a little persuasion, that's all" With that she leant over him, allowing herself a quick glance at the pure fear and confusion on his face before she closed her eyes and planted a hot kiss on his lips. She felt him tense and push her away but she deliberately lowered her eyes, she didn't want him to see the laughter in them. He moved immediately off the bed, before he replied

"Doctor, you and I need to talk about this. Later" With that he left, quickly. Janet couldn't hold out any longer and began a chuckle that soon became an all-engulfing laugh. Never would she forget the look of terror that crossed his face when she'd said he just needed persuading!

She moved immediately to Daniel, who had been listening to the events with Sam, a lady who was still making goldfish faces.

"Janet you where fantastic. Brilliant."

"Why thank you kind sir, I kinda enjoyed it myself."

"Would someone mind telling me what the Hell that was all about please."

Daniel looked at Janet and then back to Sam.

"Time to 'fess up I think" Janet nodded.

"Daniel, what have you done?"

"Well Sam, we needed to make sure that he would show up tonight. He is now convinced that Janet has lost her mind, so he's going to want to try and talk to her about it. The whole kiss bit was just an added torture from us" Daniel laughed at the memory of Jack being 'seduced' by Janet.

"Now we know he's definitely going to be here later, we now get to convince you to meet him and tell him how you feel, that it was you that sent the letter..."

"Daniel" Sam interrupted "It's not Janet who is insane, it's you!" She couldn't believe what she was hearing. There was no way on god's earth...

"Sam, you do know the General is in on this, don't you? I think we should explain everything. Besides, we know you'll tell him tonight"

"Oh yeah? What makes you so sure?"

"That's elementary my dear Major" sighed Janet

"You'll do it because you love him and you have read his letter. You know that he loves you back"

Daniel didn't need to add anything. Janet had worded it more succinctly that any linguist.

Jack was nervous. He had been all afternoon, ever since the 'incident' in the infirmary. He still couldn't believe that she had done that. I mean, he thought she had more control that to just leap on him like that, for cryin out loud! He knew that this was not going to be easy. He just had to remember to be firm, to be in control. Remind her that she would be the one transferred. Most importantly, he had to tell he didn't think of her the same way. He didn't want to hurt her, but after her earlier performance, he knew that that might not be possible.

Taking a deep breath, he headed for the infirmary.

Sam was panicking. She had debated with herself for the last hour. "To tell or not to tell, that's the question" she paraphrased. She had been informed of the scheming that had gone on, she couldn't believe that three of the people she would trust more than anything else in the world had conspired together in such detail. However, she also knew that she owed those very same people a huge debt of thanks, if it hadn't have been for Jack's reply, she would have still been guessing and hiding. Technically that should be if it hadn't been for her friend's explanation of Jack's letter, she would have still been hiding. Even now she still had some doubts, but she knew that she wanted to take the risk. The man who wrote that letter had demolished any defence she had.

Just then she heard footsteps. "Showtime"

He knocked quietly, not wanting to create any undue attention. No answer. He popped his head around the door. No-one home. He went in, wait, someone's there. "Here goes nothing!"

What he expected was so vastly different from what he got that he had trouble adjusting. Sam was sat crossed legged on his favourite bed, reading something, a single sheet of A4, plain paper, hand-written. His brain clogged up, he didn't get it.

"Hey Sam, what are you doing here?"

"I have a message for you Sir, from Janet" It was Sam's turn to smile, Janet was right that look *was* priceless.

"She says, "All's Fair in Love and War" and when you've finished threatening her and Daniel with grievous bodily harm, she would like a dozen white roses and Daniel would like a week without sarcasm"

"Wha...?"

She held out the piece of A4 that she was holding as if by way of explanation. He took it, still confused, when he realised what it was, he didn't know what do think or do. His confusion grew. What the hell was Carter doing with his letter, the one he'd written to his mysterious letter writer? Surely Janet wouldn't have given it to Sam? Unless... he snapped that train of thought quickly and brutally. It was too dangerous to even think that!

Sam saw his face change, knowing that he had figured it out, even if just for a second. Now it really was time.

"Jack, I wrote you the letter. I am the one who feels that way about you"

He was having difficulty getting his brain to move past the fact that she had just called him Jack. The sound of his name from her mouth caused a reaction in him that had long been dormant.

"Sam, what are you telling me here? Janet wrote the letter, she came onto me in this very room."

"Jack, Janet picked up the letter for me, we realised you would stake out the mailboxes, and she came onto you to make sure that you turned up tonight. Janet and Daniel convinced me to write you the letter, they said it would help me deal with my feelings. What they didn't tell me was that it was all some elaborate set up to get us together. Even General Hammond was involved"

Jack couldn't believe what he was hearing. He actually pinched himself, just to make sure this was real. Sam was actually sat here telling him that she had sent him the letter, that they had been well and truly set up, that Janet was toying with him, but most importantly that it was Sam that loved him. His smile was unseen by her as his eyes faced the floor, but he was smiling, a huge big cheek splitting grin.

She couldn't look at him; he had sat silently staring at the floor. Her heart was sinking, it had all been a huge mistake, he didn't love her. She got up from the bed and made for the door. She had to leave.

She had taken only two steps when he was pulled back by her arm, twisted and pulled into a pair of strong arms and a powerful kiss.

For a second, she was confused, but as the sensations permeated her soul, she lost herself in the man that she loved.

Many minutes later, he broke the kiss. Looked deeply into her eyes and whispered.

"I love you Sam. I always have and I always will. But the decision as to whether or not I kill Janet and Daniel rests with you" He saw the confusion in her eyes, but she soon understood his meaning, just like always.

"I love you too Jack" she smiled into his eyes

"Well let's see, that would mean one bunch of white roses with a side order of no sarcasm. I can't believe the lengths that they have gone to" He pulled her tighter in him arms as he finished drawing the drapes around them "But I'm forever grateful that they did"

She smiled his special smile and said, "Love me Jack"

"Oh I plan to. For a very long time" With that, he finally laid to rest fears of being seduced by his doctor and willingly submitted to being seduced by *his* Major.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Linz