Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hidden Enemies, Hidden Loves

by Lil Miss Loy
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hidden Enemies, Hidden Loves

Hidden Enemies, Hidden Loves

by L'il Miss Loy

TITLE: Hidden Enemies, Hidden Loves
AUTHOR: L'il Miss Loy
EMAIL: miss_loy83@yahoo.com.au
CATEGORY: SJR, Action/Adventure...tiny angst really
SPOILERS: Perhaps a minor one for D&C...
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season Four
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: Basically one big battle...nothing gruesome though...
SUMMARY: When SG-1 travel to what appears to be a deserted planet, they get more than they bargained for as Jack is left behind...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Hey everyone! This is only my third ever fanfic, so feedback is essential to let me know what I can do to improve. Just please be nice! What can I say - I'm a sucker for a good SJR. They are SO meant to be together!J I've spent a week writing this - a bit every day. The idea came to me as I was listening to Destiny's Child's "Independent Women". I just got this image of Sam Carter in a Charlie's Angel's-type scenario kicking butt. It didn't QUITE evolve to that, but I like it anyway. Anywho, HAPPY READING!

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to P3X-097. A wonderfully.....desolate place with an expansive terrain of...."

"...dirt."

"Exactly Carter. Thankyou for your input."

"Anytime Colonel."

"Really?" The colonel waggled his eyebrows suggestively. Sam simply grinned a teasing smile.

"Within reason sir."

"Righto. Okay campers!" Jack called, tearing his thoughts away from the gorgeous Major beside him, and remembering the rest of his teammates. "See anything interesting?"

"The MALP showed signs of an abandoned settlement over the next rise." Daniel said. "Looked like it'd been abandoned for quite a while..."

"Gee, I wonder why that could be."

"But, Jack, it'd still be a good idea to check it out."

"Daniel's right sir. I mean, the planet can't always have been like this if people were living here once. It'd be interesting to see what happened to turn it into this place. Or maybe it was always like this but they had the technology to produce the items necessary for living. But then why would they leave if they had the technology? And..." Sam was now talking to herself more than anyone else and, now lost in her own theorising, wandered off over the desert terrain. Daniel followed, every now and then stopping to look up at the sky, muttering to himself. Teal'c just looked at Jack who simply shrugged and they walked on behind the other two. Teal'c concentrated on looking for anything suspicious, whilst Jack was now lost in thought also, but he wasn't thinking about the settlement. In fact, his mind was on a certain 2IC who managed to amaze him everyday. Today was no exception. He found it amazing that such an intelligent, often very military-minded woman could still get lost in her own thoughts. She had no idea how, when she started rattling off all her scientific jargon, she exuded such a childlike fascination and excitement, that completely contradicted the persona that most people knew her as. That was just one of the little things that Jack loved about her. Loved? Well, yes, he could love things about her, it didn't mean that he was actually in love with her though. Did it? Or was he just being a fool and trying to hide his feelings? Okay. Now he was confusing himself even more. And as much as he tried otherwise, it became harder and harder not to think about her all the time. Well, Jack thought to himself, at least I have an excuse. Working with her nearly everyday for four years, surely no man could resist. Right now, even in her heavy fatigues and combat boots, he still found her incredibly beautiful. She had a certain grace about the way she walked, especially lost in thought as she was now. The high, hot sun, glinted off her golden hair and Jack found himself completely smitten by the way her hips gently swayed.

"Is there something amusing O'Neill?" Teal'c's statement quickly ended Jack's reverie.

"No, no Teal'c."

"Then why are you smiling?"

"Oh, I...just think it's a peachy day, isn't it?" And with that Jack walked on ahead leaving a confused Teal'c in his wake.

"Jack!"

"Yes Daniel?"

"Found it!"

"That's great Daniel."

"Yes, yes it is."

"Okay, Carter you give Daniel a hand and keep an eye on him. Teal'c and I will just hang out around the place and watch for any little nasty dirt bugs that might come our way."

"Yes sir." The group descended into the valley of dirt in which the abandoned township lay. They ended up in what once would have been the town square. Sam was the first to speak.

"Okay Daniel, where do you want to start?" But it wasn't Daniel that answered.

"With the Sholva."

"Oh crap." Jack said, slowly turning around. "Why is that deep, demonic voice so irritatingly familiar?"

"Apophis." Was Teal'c's simple statement. Apophis, surrounded by a contingent of guards, smiled eerily as his eyes flashed.

"You have again walked into my hands. Stupid Tauri fools."

"Well it's lovely to see you too. Enjoy your Christmas? Mine was a little quiet."

"QUIET! Insolent O'Neill, you shall be the first to bend your knee to your god!"

"Ahhh....actually, no. See, 'cos we're not going to be around here for much longer. In fact, we're leaving now. Hate to be rude, yadi yadi yada...but see ya!" With that, SG-1 turned on their heel and ran out of the township, followed closely by staff weapon blasts and more guards.

"HEAD FOR THE 'GATE!!" Jack screamed as he quickly pulled a pin out of a grenade and threw it over his shoulder. The team felt the surge of heat from the blast as they fast approached the 'gate, but Jack could see it had bought them very little time at all. He yelled at Sam who was slightly ahead of the rest of them,

"Carter! Dial us home ASAP!" Sam sensed the panic in her CO's voice and ventured a quick look around. She found the reason. More and more guard contingents were appearing from behind sand dunes, heading straight for them. Panting, she threw herself at the DHD and began dialing, whilst Daniel entered the GDO immediately. Daniel and Teal'c jumped through, whilst Sam lay down cover fire for Jack. He ran for the gate, closely followed by guards with more and more closing in very quickly on either side of them. Nearly there, he thought to himself as he raced up the steps towards the 'gate.

"Carter, go!" Throwing a worried look at her CO, she ran through, looking back just in time to see Jack hit in the back with a staff blast and falling motionless to the ground.

"CLOSE THE IRIS!" Sam screamed as she tumbled through the other side. The 'gate technician did so, the screeching of the shutting iris followed closely by three successive impacts.

"Ah, Sam..."

"It's okay Daniel. They were Jaffa."

"Then...what about Jack?" Sam felt her eyes fill with tears as she turned to face Daniel. She looked at Teal'c and then General Hammond as he entered the room.

"He's not coming."

"What?" Daniel's voice was barely a whisper.

"He was hit. Apophis has him." Silence took over the room. It was the General who spoke next.

"You think he's still alive Major?" Sam took a few moments to control herself as tears threatened to fall. "Sir, from what I could see, the shot was lower back. It may not have killed him."

"But even if it did, General Hammond, Apophis would surely make use of a sarcophagus to revive him. He would enjoy torturing O'Neill, and perhaps try to gain information from him."

"Teal'c, quite frankly I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point in time. SG-1, go report to the infirmary. Debriefing in one hour." The remaining team members headed off towards the doors, as General Hammond called the Major back.

"Yes sir?"

"We'll get him back Major. Whatever it takes. If what Teal'c said just happens to be true, then we still have a very real chance of returning him alive. You've done it before, I have every faith that you can do it again."

"Yes sir. Thankyou sir" Sam turned, and headed out the door, dazed, shocked and angry.

An hour later, after being thoroughly checked by Janet Frasier, the three remaining members of SG-1 entered the debriefing room to find General Hammond pacing the window.

"Ah, SG-1, please take a seat." The team did so as the General began to speak. "I've just gotten off the phone to the President, and he has agreed to allow a full-scale assault on P3X-097. I persuaded him that there was a very real chance that the Colonel was still alive. Having said that, we must now do all within our power to prove to the President that such an assault is worthwhile. During the course of the assault, there is also to be an effort made to curb the power of Apophis, either through death, capture or the loss of a great deal of his assets. We are on the understanding that Apophis has not been within the area long, an assumption made by you Major, considering the fact that there were no Death Gliders present. With his defenses weakened, the President believes it is also an apt time to attempt such an assault. Are we clear on this people?"

"Yes sir." Came the reply from all three.

"Good. SG teams 3, 7, 8 and 11 are being recalled from off-world to assist in the operation. The other teams currently on base or on leave are also to be involved. We are facing a large army, we need everyone we can get. Furthermore, in two hours I would like you, Major Carter, and you, Doctor Jackson, to gate to the Tokra's current station and plead a case for some technology or assistance of any kind. Obviously, anything they wish in return we must grant them. Make them see that this is not only an operation to save one of our own, but to put a big dent in Apophis' army. Understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. The rest of us will rendezvous with you on the planet. We will go through first, securing the surrounding 'gate area, and hopefully will meet up with you two and some Tokra personal there. We tried the Asguard but it appears they are again engaged in battle against the robot creatures we have encountered before. Dr. Jackson and Major Carter, I suggest you depart now and begin your prep for travel. Teal'c, I will need your help in coordinating the teams and preparing all our weaponry for the assault."

"Certainly General."

"Good. Okay people, let's get cracking." And with that, the room was vacated, and soon the sounds of running footsteps could be heard in the hallways as people hurried to prepare for the assault to come.

"INSOLENT TAURI! You will tell me now what is the code required for entry to your world!"

"In...your...dreams." Came Jack's weak reply. He braced himself as Apophis' eyes flashed in anger. Come on Sam! Please hurry up...he thought, just as Apophis raised the hand device once again and the flash of pain followed. But this time he didn't wake up.

"Check him." Was Apophis' crisp order. A guard stepped forward and examined him.

"He is dead My Lord."

"Throw him back in the Sarcophagus. When he has awakened, chain him here again. We will proceed with this torture after other business has been dealt with."

"Yes My Lord." And with that Jack's now lifeless body was dragged yet again to the Sarcophagus that would herald the beginning of a new life and more torture.

"Chevron Seven encoded."

"Major Carter, Doctor Jackson, you have a go. Good luck. We'll meet you on P3X-097."

"Yes sir. Thankyou sir."

"Well, here goes nothing." Daniel muttered to Sam. They stepped through the gate, and moments later found themselves in a christylised cavern, facing a small contingent of Tokra.

"Sam!" came a voice from the back of the room. Sam looked up to see her father pushing his way through the crowd. Sam managed a small smile and met her father with a hug.

"Hey kiddo. How's it doing?"

"Well Dad, we need your help. I think it would be best if we spoke to High Councilor Persus directly."

"That bad hey?"

"Ah, yes actually sir, it is" Daniel spoke up. "Jack's been taken prisoner by Apophis, but that's not all. The president has seen this as an opportunity to launch a full-scale attack on Apophis. From what we understand, he has only just arrived on this planet and therefore his base and defenses are not yet fully operational."

"And you still think you can win?"

"Well, every SG team is involved in the attack, but...."

"But?" Daniel faltered, so Sam picked up.

"But we need more help. We were kinda hoping you'd be interested..."

"Oh dear. Geez Sam! If I've said it once I've said it a million times! You guys don't know what you're up against! You don't have the ability to take on Apophis."

"That's exactly why we're here dad! We have a chance, a real chance this time, and I'm not losing the Colonel simply because you guys think that we are a fledgling race." Jacob sighed and covered his face with his hands in frustration.

"You really want to do this, don't you?"

"As a matter of fact Dad, yes I do. But we're wasting time, so..."

"Okay, fine. I'll take you to see the High Councilor, but don't think for one moment that he'll be willing to commit forces to this attack. We simply don't have enough people..."

"Or you're just not willing to because you're...."

"That's enough Sam! I'm doing you a favour now, so just keep your opinions to yourself! Now come along you two." With that, Jacob stalked off into the depths of the Tokra labyrinth, with a fuming Sam behind and trying-to-look-inconspicuous Daniel trailing.

An hour later Persus left the meeting room, promising only some technology for the attack. No Tokra whatsoever were to be involved. Jacob was surprised that Daniel had managed to get that much from him, Sam was disappointed that he didn't commit forces, and Daniel was only slightly pleased with himself.

"Well, I've had meetings go worse I suppose." Daniel broke the silence.

"Look," said Jacob. "You've got a promise of technology, which is more than generous in Persus' books, so I'd be damn grateful if I were you son!"

"Dad, dad, calm down alright. We are grateful for that, but we're just a little frustrated, understandably I think. Now, could you possibly show us where we might get our promised technology so that we can hightail it out of here? We have to rendezvous with the SG teams in half an hour."

"Okay, okay. Keep your boots on and follow me." Just as they stood up a Tokra helper appeared behind Sam to replenish their refreshments. Sam turned around just as the Tokra reached over to refill the drink, and they collided.

"Oh for crying out loud!" Daniel and Jacob both tried to stifle their laughs. Sam noticed. "What?"

"Oh nothing Sam. You just sound a lot like someone we know."

"Yeah Sammie, it was nothing. But I think maybe a change of clothes could be in order for you." Looking down, Sam cursed with dismay as she realised her fatigues were now covered with what could only be described as Tokra coffee, and looked up in frustration to see the two men laughing even more. "Okay, okay guys! Where Dad?"

"I'll get Anise to lend you some of her clothes." Daniel started laughing yet again at the look of shock on Sam's face, just as Anise turned the corner in one of her skin-tight outfits. Sam simply through him a glare that said "If you don't shut up I'll kill you." Anise seemed blind to all of this, simply saying to Sam

"Follow me Major Carter. I believe you require some clean clothes."

"Yes, thankyou Anise. I'll meet you two in the armoury." And with that she stalked off after Anise. Jacob glanced over at Daniel.

"We're in trouble."

"Oh yeah."

"SG teams; you are about to embark on the largest scale attack we have yet laid on Apophis. For your protection, and to try to minimise rescue time as much as possible, a various assortment of explosives will be sent through the gate prior to yourselves to clear a path for your arrival. After that, it is all entirely up to you. You have to ability to rescue Colonel O'Neill, and you have the ability to take out Apophis. Hopefully you will have some Tokra assistance shortly after your arrival. After Major Carter and Dr. Jackson have arrived on the planet, Major Carter will be in charge. This is simply because she is the only military member who has prior knowledge of the planet. Until their arrival, I know that you will do all within your power and expertise to achieve our objectives. You have the power and the ability to do so. The odds are in our favour. Good luck and god speed." With that, the General ordered the explosives sent through the 'gate. As the hundreds of troops within the gate room waited for the required time of detonation on the other side, the tension within the air rose. Finally, the last seconds ticked away, and General Hammond gave the order.

"Stargate Command, you have a go!" And with a roar the first contingent of troops rushed through the gate.

"Okay, so what have you guys got for us?" Sam asked as she walked into the Tokra armoury where her father and Daniel were currently gathering an assortment of weapons together. Daniel turned around to answer, but instead of words coming out his jaw simply dropped.

"What now?!"

"Well Sammie, lucky your father's an understanding guy 'cos no other would let you out in an outfit like that!" Sam surveyed her tight, black leather pants, matching high-heeled boots, and sleeveless midriff top. The outfit was capped off with leather wrist guards on either arm.

"Well if my father is such an understanding guy he wouldn't have suggested Anise's clothing, now would he?" Sam retorted. Daniel finally found his voice.

"Okay, well, um, Sam you look great. I think Jack will pretty much say the same..."

"Oh for crying out loud Daniel!" Sam through her arms up in frustration. She'd had enough of the men's teasing and Daniel knew it. "Can we just get on with it please? We have to gate out in 10 minutes."

"Okay. Sorry Sam."

"Okay Sammie, I'm going to give you a hand device. If I remember correctly, you're the only one who can use it, so you may as well have it. You know how it works, just be careful. I'll also give you a healing device so that you can keep as many healthy men on the field as possible at all times. Then there are a few zat guns we've "confiscated" from certain enemies. We've also got one of these baby's - sets up a force field with a radius of about 50 meters. We sometimes use it around the 'gate so that enemies can't get out or can't get us as we leave. Now, this one here you'll like particularly Sam...." Jacob continued handing over and explaining different weaponry until it was almost time to dial out. Standing at the 'gate Sam gave her father one final hug, whispering a "Don't worry about me I'll be fine" statement before saying goodbye. She turned and stood next to Daniel and watched the gate whir into life. Daniel picked up one of the cases of weapons, and Sam did the same after adjusting the hand device. She really hated to use this thing - to her it represented everything that was death, evil and Goa'uld combined. But, she reasoned with herself, it using it means getting Jack back to me, then use it I will. As they walked up the steps towards the wormhole, Daniel snapped her out of her internal reverie.

"Hey Sam, just before we go I wanted to say sorry about teasing you before."

"That's okay Daniel. My father has that effect on other guys."

"Yeah, well, I've just one more question - just how do you plan to run in those boots?"

When Sam and Daniel stepped out of the 'gate onto P3X-097, the found themselves in a scene resembling a World War Two movie. In front of them, makeshift bunkers had been set up with SG men and women behind them. Beyond that, a trail of destruction - the bodies of men, mostly Jaffa, were strewn across the wasteland, and in the distance over a sand dune smoke could be seen. A mixture of fires from abandoned houses set alight and grenades detonating.

"Major Carter!" Sam and Daniel turned around to face the Lieutenant that had called out. He beckoned for them to join him in the relative safety of a bunker.

"Lieutenant. Okay, what's the current situation?"

"Very pleasing mam'n! So far we've made significant progress. Many enemy casualties and very few on our side."

"What about the Colonel?"

"We haven't managed to locate him or Apophis yet, but we do know that they've been building their base underneath the village. We're assuming that's where both the enemy and the Colonel are. We've got more teams gathering around what we think is the main entrance to the base."

"Good work Lieutenant."

"Ah mam'n, what about the Tokra?"

"Unwilling to help," Daniel's replied. "But they were willing to give us a few bits and pieces that are supposedly meant to help..." Sam grabbed a case and flicked it open.

"Lieutenant, I want these weapons distributed to the men ASAP. Most are pretty self-explanatory. In the meantime, I'm going to set up a shield around the gate area. That way we can secure it and get the rest of these men here to the enemy base, acting as a back up. Got it?"

"Yes mam'n."

"Okay. I'll disarm it when it's time to leave. I have the transmitter on me. Daniel!" Sam threw a Zat gun at him, and Daniel held it in his hands for a while before asking

"Am I supposed to kill people with this thing?"

"I don't expect you to kill Daniel, just stun. However, depending on the intensity of the fighting you may have to fire twice."

"Wonderful."

"Daniel, if it means getting the Colonel back alive I will do anything and I hope you will too. Now let's get going. Lieutenant, gather your men and Daniel and get them out over fifty meters towards the village. I'll follow you after I've set up the shield. The transmitter allows me to pass through it after I've set it up. The General has put me in charge I understand?" The Lieutenant nodded. "Good. I'll catch you up."

"Mam'n, what about your protection?"

"I've got a hand device and a few Zats on me Lieutenant. I'll be fine. Now go!"

"Yes Mam'n!" The Lieutenant grabbed Daniel by the arm and signaled to the remaining men to follow him. Sam waited until they had run the required distance away from the 'gate, occasionally letting off rounds into enemies. She quickly crouched and activated the shield, waiting until she could see the orange dome all around her before turning on her transmitter and running across the dunes. Trying to catch up was harder than she thought, with her leather outfit stifling hot, and she now understood what Daniel meant about the shoes! Despite this, she soon caught up to the rest of the soldiers, who were now situated on the top of the ridge, overlooking the battle in the village below them.

"Holy Hannah." She breathed as she saw the destruction below her. Soldiers everywhere, amidst a maze of streets ablaze.

"Major! Get down!" Sam ducked just as a staff weapon blast flew over their heads, landing in the sand behind them. She ventured a look and saw three Jaffa heading towards them, weapons primed. Glancing at the hand device on her, she muttered to herself "Better make sure this works." With that, she summoned the will within her and in one giant blast knocked all three Jaffa unconscious. Ignoring the gapes of the men around her, she stood up and started to march towards the village, calling over her shoulder:

"Disarm those men and tie 'em up. Then let's get a move on people!" With that, she stalked on, some men trailing after her and Daniel doing his "brotherly duty" by telling a few to keep their eyes on something other than a pair of black leather pants!

Jack struggled with his chains again. And again he found that it was no use, as all the chains did was rub and cut against his skin. He heard another thump from above him. He knew he was underground, and it sounded like one helluva battle was going on overhead. But was it the SGC? Surely they wouldn't take on Apophis? Having said that though, Jack HAD noticed that there weren't nearly as many guards around as they had encountered before. In fact, it was quite possible that only part of Apophis' army was here at the moment. But he couldn't see how they would possibly know that. Hold on. What was he thinking? Sam and Daniel would've picked something up about the size of the army, wouldn't they? Just in the run back to the gate he had no doubt that Sam's amazing brain was working overtime again. She would've figured it out. With that thought, despite his adverse circumstances Jack found himself smiling again, happy with the personal faith that Sam was up there somewhere looking and fighting for him. She's done it again, Jack thought, she amazes me everyday and she's done it again. How on earth does she manage to make me smile even when I'm like this? And he found that thinking of the beautiful Major made the wait that much more bearable.

"Lieutenant Charmers!"

"Yes Mam'n?"

"Where's the main entrance?"

"End of this street mam'n under the floorboards of a house. Heavy fire mam'n!" Sam acknowledged the Lieutenant with a nod on her head. She turned and looked for Daniel, and noticed him sitting behind another makeshift bunker in the main street.

"Daniel?"

"I'm fine Sam."

"I know Daniel. I'm gonna go on ahead with this group and give a hand. So far they haven't managed to break through the guards at the entrance yet. You stay here."

"No Sam! I'm going with you!"

"Daniel, I know you're a strong person but this is simply too dangerous and you don't have the experience for it! I don't want you to get hurt. I can order you, you know..."

"I know Sam, but..." he was cut off by a staff weapon blast missing his head by mere inches and he ducked again as Sam jumped up and did away with their assailant with a simple blast from the hand device. "Umm, y'know Sam, maybe it would be a better idea if I stayed back here."

"Good thinking Daniel." She patted him on the arm, saying "I'll be back soon."

"I know you'll find him, Sam. Please be careful." Sam grinned,

"Like I wouldn't be!" And with that she jumped up from behind the bunker, blasted a few more Jaffa then called to Charmers and his men to follow her.

The group eventually made their way to where most of the SGC teams had now gathered - a circle surrounding the house that was home to the entrance of Apophis' base. Looking around, Sam noticed Teal'c and Colonel Rivers, a good friend of Jack's, at the forefront of the attack and made her way to them.

"Colonel, Teal'c"

"Major Carter. It is good to see you safe."

"Thankyou Teal'c."

"Carter! I believe you're in charge now."

"Yes Sir, General's orders."

"Just as well, 'cos otherwise I'd have to reprimand you for that outfit!"

"Funny Colonel, funny. So what are the stats here?"

"Seems that we've pretty much got all the minor entrances that we found covered and blocked, so this is the only way out for them now. We're now assuming that all Jaffa left underground have come to this entrance. We're trying to fire our way through them, but they're well covered and well-armed."

"Grenades?"

"Negative Carter. The house would fall down on top of the entrance and then we'd never get in there without falling into a trap." Sam thought for a moment, gazing at the house from which staff blasts were coming. Finally she said,

"I've got an idea. Lay down cover fire for me. I've got to get to the open door there, give me 10 seconds then follow me in, understand?"

"Negative Major! It's too goddamned dangerous! Can't you see the fire you'd be up against? What makes you think you'll get through alone?"

Sam held up her hand device to the Colonel and waited until she saw recognition register on his face. "This makes me think so Colonel. Now get those men over next to the house to fire a few rounds in first to give me some time to get over there." The Colonel nodded, and yelled to the men who had managed to make it to the outside walls of the old house. They started firing more and more successive rounds into the house. This gave Sam the necessary seconds she needed to make it to the doorway of the house. Summoning the will within her, she fired the hand device, the strongest blast she'd ever been able to make, into the whole that was the entrance. She saw that the blast had reached at least ten of the Jaffa on guard. Teal'c, Colonel Rivers and his men started running into the house and, seeing that Sam had bought them an opportunity to fire into the whole, they started doing so. Eventually, thanks to a combination of the hand device, Tokra-based Zat guns and Tauri firepower they managed to fight their way into the complex underneath the surface.

"Colonel Rivers! Split the men up. Half down this corridor, half down the other. First half follow you, second half follow me and Teal'c. I can sense more goa-uld presence down in your direction meaning that is where Apophis probably is. You get him, I'll find the Colonel"

"Yes Mam'n!" Rivers returned, and started hollering instructions to the Troops gathering in the complex. Then they separated, with a contingent running in either direction behind their leaders. Almost immediately they came across more Jaffa.

"Oh for crying out loud," said Sam between blasts. "I thought we'd gotten rid of most of these guys!"

"We were unaware of how large an army we were up against Major Carter," Teal'c stated. "However I doubt that there will be many more down here, for most, as you assumed, would now be guarding Apophis."

"Would they keep guarding the Colonel?"

"Unlikely. If there is not a large contingent and a loss is probable, the first priority would be to defend their God." They stood up as the last of their assailants was gunned down. They started running down the hallway again, with their troops following closely behind them.

"I only hope Rivers and his men can get through. Now, Teal'c, were you ever in a complex like this before?"

"Once."

"Okay, where would the prisoner cells be?"

"From what I can recall, they would most probably be built around this next corner. Be prepared for some resistance though. There are a few Jaffa who, despite their loyalty, would opt to stay behind and keep prisoners at bay." Sam slowed, and motioned to her men to do so also. "Do you think they would have many prisoners?"

"Again unlikely. As you assumed, it seems they have only resided on this planet for a very short time, and thus would not have collected many prisoners."

"Alright." She motioned to Lieutenant Charmers. "Lieutenant, I need a few men to go around that corner and lay down cover fire if there are any enemies there. We don't know whether or not there will be at this point."

"Yes mam'n." He signaled to six men, and together they cautiously approached the corner. The first two quickly made their way around the corner and started firing, followed quickly by Charmers and the rest of the team. Sam almost expected them to stop firing straight away, but soon saw why they didn't. Staff blasts crashed into the wall behind them, and one into Charmers' shoulder.

"The rest of you, go go go!" Screaming at the rest of the men behind her to go and help the others she pulled the healing device on and attended to Charmers. Slowly he sat up again, and perused his shoulder.

"Thanks Major. I owe you one."

"Anytime Charmers."

"Did I miss anything?" Just as he spoke, Teal'c walked back around the corner.

"It appears to now be clear Major Carter. They were quickly outnumbered."

"Thankyou Teal'c. C'mon Charmers, let's go get the Colonel."

"Yes mam'n."

Sam jogged down the length of the room surveying the holding cells on either side and noticing with relief that they were empty. Then she saw him, in the very end room, chained to the wall with cuts covering his face and upper body, but he was alive!

"Colonel!" He lifted his head, and smiled as he saw her. Was it a dream? No! She was actually here!

"Sam?"

"Yes Colonel, I'm here, I'm here. And I'm gonna get you out, okay?"

"I know Major." They smiled at each other, before Jack asked "Ah Major, what exactly ARE you wearing?" Sam rolled her eyes. This was definitely the last time she wore black leather pants in a mainly-male population.

"Anise's clothes, sir."

"Anise's! What?"

"Long story, so shut up and don't worry about it....sir." Jack raised his eyebrows.

"It's no use mam'n." Sam turned to face Charmers.

"What's no use?"

"The lock won't open. It's strange; it's like there's not even a hole. It's Goa'uld technology. Should I try shooting it open?"

"No! Notice the position of the Colonel, Charmers? Any stray bullet would hit him, and despite the healing device I don't want to put him in any more pain if it can be avoided."

"Yes mam'n."

"Colonel O'Neill? Do you know how this lock works?"

"Nope. Think I've been unconscious everytime they've dragged me out or thrown me back in." Sam considered this and then had a closer look at the shape of the imprint on the lock. Then she had a look at her hand device.

"That's it!"

"What's 'it' mam'n?"

"The hand device! That's what opens it. That means only Apophis himself can open it. Seems like Teal'c's betrayal made quite an impression! Stand back." The troops complied and Sam pushed the hand device into the imprint. She summoned the will again and let it go. A flash of light ensued and the lock was off! Three men ran into the cell to get Jack out of his chains, when suddenly Sam's knees gave way underneath her. Jack rushed over to her and helped her up.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine, fine, sir. I think I've just been over-doing it a little with this thing." She gestured to the hand device. "It sometimes takes a bit out of me. Are you okay sir?"

"Yeah, yeah. They kicked me around a bit. Think a rib might be broken..."

"Sit down sir, I have something that will help." He obeyed obediently, expecting to get a pain killer of some description. When he saw her take a healing device off the chain around her hips and slip it on her hand, he held up his hands in protest.

"Sam, no. You said yourself it takes it out of you..."

"No 'buts' Colonel. You need your strength when we hightail it out of here. Now sit still." And without waiting for another word she activated the device. Soon the Colonel's cuts and bruises had disappeared, but Sam was now finding it hard to stand. Jack put his arm around her.

"What did I tell you?"

"It doesn't matter sir. You're okay now." She looked into his eyes and smiled, and Jack knew that his love was reciprocated in her. She had just basically said that she would lay her life down for him, and she knew that he would do the same.

Suddenly, they were pulled out of their reverie by Sam's radio activating.

"Major Carter, come in Major Carter."

"I hear you Rivers."

"Major, we reached Apophis and the rest of the guards from down here and we took most of them out."

"What about Apophis?"

"Slight problem there mam'n. He disappeared in transport rings just as we were about to blow his brains out." Sam looked at Charmers in front of her in shock, as he simply gulped. "Shit!" She whispered.

"What?" Jack asked confusedly. "What's the matter?"

"It means there's a ship up there. Probably more than one. We're in trouble!" She turned her head back to the radio. "Rivers, sound the retreat. We've got the Colonel, let's get the hell out of here. All men to the 'gate PRONTO!"

"Yes Mam'n. We'll meet you at the 'gate. Over and out." Sam turned her attention back to her troops. "Okay boys and girls, let's get out of here. Back to the 'gate now. No time to waste. There is a shield set up around it. As soon as we're close enough, I'll deactivate it so that we can get into the 'gate vicinity. As soon as we're all within a 50 m radius of the 'gate I'll activate the shield again so that we can get through safely. Let's go!" They took off down the corridor again and eventually met up with the second-half of their assault team, and Sam noticed with some satisfaction that they had suffered minor casualties. As her team and Rivers joined up, she noticed just how tired she had indeed become, feeling more and more dizzy, she fell to the floor again. The troops kept running but Jack stopped, came back and picked her up in his arms.

"Sir..." she murmured. "Leave me here. I'm slowing you down. Just take the transmitter and go!"

"Can't do that Sam. You're coming with me whether you like it or not." Sam gripped his arm as he continued to run. Stay awake Sam, she told herself, you're the only one who can deactivate that shield. As the teams emerged from underground the looked up and saw that there was indeed a mothership floating above the planet, surrounded by about 6 Death Gliders.

"Where's Teal'c and Daniel?" she murmured. Jack gently laughed,

"Just like you Sam, to look out for your friends when you're like this! I can see Daniel up ahead now with Rivers. Teal'c is there too." They continued on, out of the village over the ridge and saw the 'gate now within reach, all the time dodging Glider blasts and firing back when possible. Her men were falling all around her and Teal'c had only managed to take out one glider with his staff weapon. She HAD to help them.

They came to the shield and Jack gently let Sam down and she walked through the shield as fast as she could, thanks to the transmitter, and deactivated the shield. She waited until all her men were through before she activated it again.

"Daniel! Dial us home!" she called. Turning around, she noticed Charmers and five other men running towards the shield - they hadn't made it! And two Gliders were quickly pursuing them. She mustered the last of her reserve strength and hollered to Daniel as she ran back out the shield "Daniel! Deactivate the shield for Charmers!" No one could stop her as she fled the safety of the shield. Mustering the last of her strength, she raised her hand at the two Gliders and let off two successive blasts, causing the Gliders to tumble to the ground and create a huge explosion. Charmers and his men ran to her, just as she finally passed into unconsciousness.

"SAM!" Jack started running towards the shield. "DANIEL! Deactivate the shield now!"

"I'm trying, I'm trying!"

"Well try harder!" Charmers was carrying Sam and they were waiting outside the shield. Sam had bought them a bit of time, but the remaining gliders were now zeroing in on them. Finally, just as the gliders started to make their pass, Daniel deactivated the shield. Jack ran and took Sam from Charmers and they all ran back towards the 'gate. By now, most of the men had gone through, and Daniel quickly reactivated the shield just as the gliders simultaneously blasted. They were safe now, but Jack continued running anyway, as did Daniel and Teal'c who had run up to join him. Together again at last, SG-1 ran through the gate, back to home.

"Well Doctor Frasier, what is Major Carter's condition?" The General addressed Janet who had just walked into SG-1's debriefing.

"She's stable General. Still asleep, but that's because I've given her a few sedatives. She passed out due to exhaustion, obviously, but she needs as much sleep as possible. I expect that she'll wake after about twelve hours. Then, if I may suggest so General, she will need a couple of weeks stand-down for recuperation."

"Understandably Doctor. Well SG-1, a job well-done. Good to have you back Jack. You are all on stand-down until Major Carter is fit for duty. The remaining SGC teams are also on stand-down for a week. The President said to pass on his congratulations to all members of the SGC for a mostly successful campaign. We've made a sizable dent in Apophis' army, although it certainly would have been quite difficult without Major Carter, as Daniel and Teal'c have told me. In fact, I've recommended her for another promotion and a bravery award."

"Wow. That's...that's great!"

"It certainly is Doctor Jackson. However, I would prefer it if we kept this from her knowledge until the recommendation is approved."

"Which it will be, or someone will have hell to pay."

"Of course Colonel."

"General, I'd like to organise a surprise party for Sam, when she's better of course, when she gets her promotion and her decorations."

"My thoughts exactly Doctor Jackson. Sounds like a fine idea son."

"Daniel Jackson, why keep this party a surprise?" Teal'c asked confusedly. "If the party is in her honour, should she not be told so that she does make other plans for the same date?"

"Ah, no Teal'c. You see, the whole idea of a surprise party is to...." Daniel continued in his explanation of a surprise party to Teal'c, whilst Jack turned to Janet.

"Hey Doc, is it alright if I go see her now? Just to check up on her y'know..."

"Sure Colonel. But as I said, she'll be asleep until..." The Doctor finished talking because Jack had run out of the room as soon as she'd said "sure".

Jack slowed down as he rounded the final corner to the infirmary and jogged the last few meters to the door. He paused before he entered, taking a moment to catch his breath and look through the windows. He hated seeing her like that, lying so still and pale, and knowing it was because of him. He hated himself for putting her through this. But most of all, he hoped that she didn't hate him either.

He gathered himself together and slowly pushed open the infirmary doors, walking quietly to her bedside. Pulling up a stool, he sat down and carefully picked up one of her hands in two of his, holding it to his lips and dropping a feather-light kiss onto it.

"Hey Sam," he whispered to his sleeping beauty. "It's me, Jack. Look, I know you can't hear me, but I want to say that I'm sorry for putting you through this. If I'd been quicker on our run back to the gate, I would never have been hit and you wouldn't be here right now." He breathed deeply and tried to control his shaking voice. "Look Sam, I know you're going to wake up, and I just wanted to say that although I hate the fact that you're lying here now, I so happy that it's not worse. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. This isn't like the whole Zatark thing, this is more. I more than care about you, I love you, more than life itself. And like you told me yesterday, I'd put my life on the line if it meant keeping you around. I love you Sam, and from now on I don't care about regulations, I'm going to let you know, and the whole world!" With that, Jack lay his head on her stomach and fell into an exhausted sleep...

...Only to be awakened hours later by a hand gently stroking his hair. Jack slowly sat up, realising that he was still gripping onto one of Sam's hand, whilst it was her other that gently touched him. He looked over at her and smiled. She smiled back,

"Isn't your back killing you by now sir?" Jack stretched and tried to hide the pain of his cramped muscles as well as possible.

"No, no, it's just peachy."

"Yep, and I'm the President."

"Smartarse."

"Liar!" Sam giggled at the look on his face. Then her expression turned serious.

"Sir, I...I have a confession to make. Earlier, when you came in, and you were talking...I heard it all. It wasn't that I was awake!" she hurried to explain. "Well, I think I might have been...slightly awake. Y'know, sort of dozing, because of the sedatives. Well, anyway," she took a deep breath before continuing, "I think I should let you know that all the things you said to me were wonderful. Yes Jack," she said to his surprised expression, "I love you too, and I too don't care about regulations any more. It was too close this time. We are in such a high-risk profession, that I don't ever want to risk losing you and not having had you. And don't blame yourself - It was my decision to use that hand device, and I didn't know that it would exhaust me so much. I'm fine now, and even better because you're here with me." She picked up the hand that he was holding hers in and kissed it lightly. "I love you."

"I love you more." And with that answer Jack proceeded to show her just how much with the most beautiful kiss either had ever experienced. Finally pulling apart, Jack said,

"Oh by the way! General's given us two weeks stand-down until you're fit for duty."

"Really? Well that hold promise, doesn't it?"

"Mmm, indeed. Mind you, after the two weeks I plan spending with you, I don't know whether you'll be fit for duty or not!"

"Really O'Neill? Well, I know I'll be fine. As for you weak Irishmen however, I can't really say..."

"Oh you think you're so smart, don't you?"

"Well, perhaps that's because I am!"

"You certainly are." And he leaned in to kiss her again, the perfect kiss for the begin of a perfect life together...

THE END!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to L'il Miss Loy