Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Without You

by Lexi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Without you

Without you

by lexi

TITLE: Without you
AUTHOR: lexi
EMAIL: alexchaseling@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Crossover (The X-Files), Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: crossover, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Mulder & Scully hepl Sam and Jack with an unusual problem
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Hi! I hpoe you like my story. Feddback would be great!! You can tell me if you think I should write another, or suggest what it should be about. I am a huge stargate and X files fan so I hope you like it

Sam stepped thought the event horizon of the stargate. SG-1 were on a simple mission to a small planet. There seemed to be no danger according to the MALP transmission. As she reached the other side she started to walk forward and fell into a hole.......right on top of Colonel O'Neil !

"Ow, Carter. Nice landing"

"Sorry sir, couldn't help it"

-Sure your sorry-

"I am. Like I knew there was a hole there"

" Hey! I didn't say that. I thought it, but I didn't say it."

- Well it's happening, he's finally loosing it-

"I am notloosing itthank you very much"

" I never said that!"

"Yeah, but you thought it" Jack said. "Where are Danny and Teal'c anyway?"

"We're up here waiting for you two to finish your little conversation, which is very interesting I might add, and get out of that hole." Called a very amused Daniel. He always knew there was more to those to than met the eye, but he never thought that they would be reading minds.

"For crying out loud Danny, keep your pants on."

All talk of mind reading was forgotten while they clambered out of the hole and went on to explore the planet that they were on. At least until they were back at the SGC.

When SG-1 arrived back on the base they all had showers and had their post mission check ups they went to the debriefing. Daniel was exited about some artifacts that he had found and Sam had collected some soil samples that she was showing General Hammond.

-Why did I have to get stuck with a team that has two very over exited scientists in it- thought Jack as he listened to Daniel obsess about his artifacts.

" I don't think we are over exited sir" replied Carter

" Whaa. Why did you say that?"

" Well you were complaining about being stuck with over exited scientists"

" No I wasn't"

" I didn't here him complaining"

" Nor did I Daniel Jackson" Said Teal'c in his always neutral tone.

- Maybe I'm going mad too- thought Sam

" Maybe" agreed Jack

" Maybe what?" Asked Sam confused. She could have sworn he just answered to one of her thoughts.

"Maybe you are going mad"

"Wait a second, I didn't say that. I thought it but I didn't say it."

" Not again" Said Daniel slightly frustrated. Jack looked at him annoyed.

"What are you complaining about?" Jack was getting frustrated

-Here we go again-

"What do you mean 'here we go again'Major?"

" I only thought that I didn't say it"

-excuses excuses-

" I am not making excuses colonel"

" Now wait one second, I didn't say that you were"

" Could somebody please tell me what the hell is going on!!" Demanded the General who was even more frustrated that Jack.

" It appears that Colonel O'Neil and Major Carter can read each others minds General Hammond" informed Teal'c.

"What" General Hammond asked confused

" Well while we were on the planet the Colonel and the Major started to read each others minds, but as we went on we forgot about it and now it has come back again. That is all there really is to it." Explained Daniel.

"Well I can't say that I understand what you just told me so SG-1 will be on downtime for forty-eight hours and I just hope that you sleep it off" said General.

- Yesssssss- thought Jack. Sam just looked at him confused.

On the way to the top Sam and Jack were in the lift together.

- I really don't think that I could hear the Colonel's thoughts 'cause I was tired. I think there is more to it- thought Sam to herself

"Yeah I agree"

"What? This is getting kinda weird. I didn't say that"

- Kinda weird? Where have you been?-

" Sorry?"

"Ummm I think we should talk about this. It is staring to freak me out a bit"

- yeah right, a bit. Who are kidding? You love the fact that you can talk to a beautiful woman like Carter by just thinking and that you can here what she thinks too- thought Jack. Sam just went bright red at that thought. Then she said,

" How about you come to my house at about sevenish tomorrow night. There are these people that I have heard about from the FBI and I think that if I can get them to come that they can help explain it."

"Yeah ok" said Jack " goodnight Carter"

"Goodnight sir"

".......Colorado? Yes.............Really!...............ok.................we'll be there tomorrow........great....bye"

Mulder hung up the phone.

" Where exactly will we be tomorrow Mulder?" Asked his petite red headed partner Scully

" Colorado Springs"

" May I ask why"

"Yes you may" replied Mulder. Scully waited patiently for an answer, buy when she realised that she wouldn't be getting one she continued,

"Why are we going to Colorado Springs?"

"I'm glad you asked. You see there are two Airforce officers claiming that they can read each others thoughts and they want us to come and help them sought it out." Explained Mulder hoping that Scully would not complain about how ridiculous he was being.

"They think that they can read the others thoughts?" Scully asked sceptically

" Yes an Airforce Major and Colonel who are working on a classified military project."

" Classified huh? Would this classified project have anything to do with E.T?"

" Well there is a military base around that area that may have something to do with extra terrestrial life. At least that is what my source tells me."

" I knew there was something more to it. Mulder we shouldn't be going and trying to penetrate top secret bases."

" Scully, we are simply going to help two people before they loose their minds because they can hear voices in their heads. If we happen to accidentally stumble on to any top secret bases on the way we could do nothing to avoid it." Mulder stated

" Yeah right, accidentally on purpose"

-I hope she doesn't mind that I'm early- Jack thought to himself as he was about to turn into Sam's street.

-Don't worry about it, at least you're not late. Plus the FBI agents aren't here yet-

-Wow........ Carter? Is that you?-

-Yeah sorry sir, I got a shock when I heard your voice too, but I thought I might as well let you now that I can. Where are you?- Suddenly Sam heard a knock at the door, She walked over to answer it thinking that it was the FBI agents. She got a shock when she found Jack standing there grinning at her.

"I'm right here" he said his smile growing larger as he saw the look of shock on her face.

" I can't believe that you didn't even get her name!" And annoyed Scully said. They had turned down the wrong street and knocked on a strangers door looking for a nameless USAF Major.

" Well everybody makes mistakes Scully"

"But you seem to make enough for ten people all on your own. Are you sure this is the right street now? 'cause this time your knocking."

" C'mon Scully, give me a break." Whined Mulder as they pulled out at the front of Sam's House.

Mulder and Scully walked up to the door and Scully stood aside so that Mulder could ring the bell. A woman with short blond hair that was cut above her shoulders answered the door. Mulder hesitated while trying to think of how to introduce himself and Scully with out making them look stupid. Luckily Sam spoke first.

" Hi, you must be the FBI agents?"

" Yes, I'm Special Agent Mulder and this is my partner Special Agent Scully" he said indicating to the small read headed woman who stood beside him. Scully gave a brief smile and looked over the woman's shoulder to a man standing behind her. He had brown hair that was slowly turning grey and stood there with his hands crossed sceptically across his chest.

-I know how he feels - thought Scully with a wry smile.

" I'm Major Samantha Cater and this is my CO Colonel Jack O'Neil" Sam said looking over her shoulder at Jack. "Why don't we all come inside?" Sam suggested.

" Good idea" agreed Scully. She didn't know why, but she already liked Sam and she had hardly heard her speak two sentences.

Three minutes later they were all sitting in Sam's living room. Sam and Jack were explaining the events that led up to them receiving their special talent without giving away too much about their line of work.

" We were on a mission and there really seemed to be nothing happening......... Until I found myself down a hole with Cater here lying on top of me." Explained Jack in his usual sarcastic tone. Sam looked around at the agents faces and saw that they were think that something completely different had happened.

- Sir will you quit only giving them half the story, they are thinking that something completely different happened- Sam thought to Jack.

-Well I can't very well tell them that I was on a different planet with an alien and two scientists can I now?-

- No you can't. But you can tell them more than that we were down a hole and I was lying on top of you!!-

- Just having some fun Major. Plus I don't really trust this Mulder guy, he looks like a bit of a crack pot if you ask me.-

- Maybe, but I have a feeling about Agent Scully, it looks like she keeps him in line-

While Sam and Jack were having their conversation the two Agents were staring at them amazed. It really did look like they were talking to each other, they just weren't speaking. Sam realised that they were being watched and turned to the Agents.

" Sorry Agents, we are still getting used to it." Sam explained

" Don't worry about it, and call me Mulder. I was never one for formalities" Said Mulder with a smile.

" And you can call me Dana"

" OK then you two can call me Sam." Jack looked around the room.

" Well I might as well add my contribution as well. You can call me Jack." Mulder looked at Jack. He could tell that it was going to be hard to get along with him. They were both just two stubborn men. Sam and Dana could sense this too and gave each other a knowing look. Sam then turned to Jack and gave him a look that said 'be nice'.

- what is that look you are giving me major?-

- try to be nice to Mulder. He is only trying to help- Said Sam

- I don't know why you said that. He has given me no reason not to be...............yet- Jack added as an after thought.

-Yes, but you can practically feel the tension filling up the room. Dana can too.-

-How do you know that? Oh wait don't tell me......... Women's intuition, right?-

-No, a two year old baby could feel it-

Jack looked at Mulder and asked

"So, do you have any idea what is happening to us?"

"Well not yet, maybe the trauma of falling down a hole triggered it?"

- well I wouldn't call having Cater on top of me traumatic- Jack thought Sam sent him a look, but deep down she was pleased that maybe he thought the same way about her as she did about him. Jack felt it too.

- Ummmm, Carter?-

-Yeah?-

- What is that I am feeling?-

- well how would I know-

- It feels like lov...... I mean like-

- like for who?-

- For you- Jack all of a sudden became very embarrassed about what he had just thought. Sam felt it.

- Why do I all of a sudden feel embarrassed?-

- think that we can fell each others emotions too.-

- so it's you who is embarrassed, not me- Jack became even more embarrassed by this, and so did Sam.

" Well it seems you two can feel each others emotions as well" Mulder said as he watched them both turn bright red.

"seems so" Said Jack who was still slightly red.

" Well it is almost lunch time so why don't we all get some lunch and take it to that park I saw on the way here. Then we can see how far this works." Suggested Scully

" now there's an idea agreed Sam.

An hour later they all sat at a park bench after just having finished their lunch. Jack wanted to know what Mulder and Scully actually did in the FBI.

- Sam how did you find these guys?-

- Well I was looking on the net and I found some info about a department in the FBI called the X files. I looked into it more and found out about Mulder and Scully. I kept the info Handy in case I needed it one day, considering the line of work we do.-

- Was that wise?-

- Well I didn't think that I would actually use it.- Jack turned to Mulder

" So what is it that you actually do"

" We investigate paranormal activities around the world." Mulder said matter of factly. Jack was getting worried that maybe they should not have brought them here, But he put on his polka face and continued.

"Paranormal as in aliens?"

" well extra terrestrials. We can't really call them aliens because that is what we are to them." Replied Mulder. Scully rolled her eyes. - he is going to embarrass himself.- she thought.

" Right, of course." Jack said with mock seriousness. Scully shot Mulder a look that Said drop it and Sam thought to Jack,

- you know sir, you don't have to embarrass the poor guy. I mean he is right and you know it. We just can't tell him that he is right.-

- You think he is cute don't you?- teased Jack

-only as much as you think Dana is.- Sam shot back. Seeing the look on Sam's face he decided that he could not win he decided to change the subject.

-I know Major, let's play a game. You think of a number and if I guess it you give me fifty dollars, right?- Jack felt Sam's amusement as she giggled at his remark. Satisfied he turned to look at the FBI agents who were looking confused.

" Sorry, why don't we start this experiment of yours." Jack suggested. As Scully looked at the pair she could tell that they had a special connection like she and Mulder had. Ever since she had met Mulder their connection had grown until she could tell what he was thinking without needing to hear his thoughts.

Scully could tell that Sam and Jack were close as well, even if they didn't admit it.

Sam and Scully were at one end of the park while Jack and Mulder were at the other. Scully waved at the men to tell them to start. Jack started,

-Hey Carter, if you can hear me, let's play a game. You think of a number and if I guess it you have to give me fifty dollars.- Sam laughed and said,

" well I can hear him when he is two hundred metres away, I wonder how far it goes." She then said to Jack,

-well sir, as much fun as that sounds, I think it might be a tad unfair-

-just a tad- Jacked replied

" I can hear her." He said to Mulder

"Great. I wonder if it works when you two are miles away."

"Well why don't we try it out" Jack said walking towards the two women who were on their way towards the men.

When they reached each other they decided that Sam and Dana would wait while Jack and Mulder drove back to get the Agent's car and while they were there they would see if it still worked. If it did they would drive back and then two of them would go in one direction and the other two in another direction until they couldn't hear each others thoughts anymore ........... or until they couldn't go any further.

While the guys were away, Sam and Scully started to talk.

"So" Sam said " are you and Mulder........" She let the question hang.

"Oh no. We are really good friends and care about each other more than anything but that is all. What about you and Jack?"

"Me and Colonel O'Neil? I wish. It's the damn regs stopping us."

"So you like him?"

"Well....... Yeah I guess I do, but I'm his 2IC and we are really good friends as well. I wouldn't want to risk my job and my friendship for something that could be." Sam said. She couldn't believe that she was talking so openly to someone she had only met a few hours ago. There was just something about her that was so welcoming. Scully felt the same way. Sam had a warm feeling that surrounded her and made her easy to talk with.

"I know what you mean." There was silence between the two until Scully said,

"So do you have any family here?"

"Well my mother died when I was fourteen and my father is......... Um....... Unreachable most of the time." Scully knew that there was more behind the pause, but she didn't question it and let Sam continue. "My brother, his wife and their two kids are still around, but I don't see them that often. My family is now basically made up of Jack Daniel, Teal'c, Janet and Cassy her daughter. And I guess you could add General Hammond in there too." Sam explained with a smile.

" Wow, your work must be a pretty big part of your life!" Exclaimed Dana.

" Yeah I guess you could say that. What about you do you have any family?"

" Well I'm a bit like you, my father and sister are gone and I don't see my brothers that often. I see my mother every so often, but Mulder is the main person in my life at the moment."

"It looks like you two have been though a lot." said Sam.

"Yes we have. I have seen more than you could possibly imagine in my dealings with Mulder."

"I wouldn't be too sure. I have seen my fair share of weird things." Dana new that she was hiding something about that remark.

"You know more than you are letting on, don't you. You have seen what Mulder has always dreamt he could prove to the world, haven't you?" Sam kept her face neutral. Dana could tell that if she didn't want something to be known she could keep it a secret, no matter what. There was no use trying to get it out of her, it wouldn't work.

" What about you? To feel so strongly about people you work with you would have been through a lot too." Said Dana trying to break the silence.

" yeah we have." Sam said not letting her face show anything. There was silence for a while more and then Scully looked at her watch.

"I wonder what is taking them so long?" She said.

" I don't even want to think" Sam replied. A smile spread across her features as she thought of what the two men might be doing.

"You're right, they are probably fighting over some stupid manly thing." Scully said grinning

" They probably haven't even left the car park because they can't decide who will drive." Sam agreed giggling. She jumped as she heard Jack's voice in her head.

-I heard that Major, and for you information, we are at you house right now.- Scully smiled as Sam said

"Well it seems like he can hear my thoughts from my house even if I don't want him to." And the two women started laughing together.

After arguing over who drove they decided that Jack would drive. For a while there was silence until Jack asked Mulder what had been annoying him all day.

"So Mulder, are you and Agent Scully, I mean you seem so, well I guess I'm trying to ask..."

"Are we together?" Mulder jumped in.

"Well yeah, to put it simply."

"Well that is a long story, but the short answer is no."

"Right, sorry, you just seem so close, that's all."

"Well we are. We have been through a lot together and I can't imagine my life without Scully. What about you and Major Carter?"

"Long story as well, and again the short answer is no. The thing that gets in our way the most are the regulations."

"Really? Excuse me for saying this, but you don't seem like the kind of man who would be stopped by rules if he really wanted something."

" How can you tell that?"

"Well because you remind me of me and I have never let rules get in my way."

"Oh, well there is also the fact that we are really good friends and I don't want to loose that if it doesn't work out."

"I can understand what you mean." They didn't say any more for the whole trip. When they reached Sam's house, Jack felt that Sam and Scully were making fun of them.

"I think the girls are bagging us out back at the park." Jack said with a grin.

"I can believe it." Mulder said, grinning back. Suddenly Jack heard Sam say,

-They probably haven't left the car park yet because they can't decide who will drive-

-I heard that Major- Jack replied. He felt Sam's shock at hearing his voice and smiled.-Serves her right- Jack thought, making a conscious effort to not let Sam hear his thoughts.

It was about two PM and both Scully and Sam were in Sam's car driving as far away from the men as they could and still be able to hear Jacks thoughts, while the men were going in the opposite direction.

-Can you hear me Carter?-

-Unfortunately- Sam replied with a cheeky grin.

-Well, you will have to get used to it. You may be stuck with me forever-

-Unless we can get rid of it- Jacks stopped at the thought of this. He wasn't sure he wanted to get rid of it now. He liked to be able to talk to someone by just thinking. It also brought him closer to Sam and he liked that. He loved that, felt strongly about her, more than he should considering their working relationship.

- I know how you fell sir- Sam thought to Jack, after hearing his thought. - I fell the same way- Jack's heart jumped.

- You do, really, your not kidding me again are you?- Sam smiled to herself

- No Jack, I'm not kidding you-

-Wow that's great- Jack was overjoyed. He had been hoping that Sam would feel the same way as him and now he knew that she did. Sam was also relieved that Jack felt the same way as she did. Scully was watching Sam as she was having this conversation. Seeing the joy on her friends face she knew that they were discussing what they should have a long time ago. Mulder also saw the look on Jack's face.

"What did she say?" He asked. Jack kept his eyes on the road.

" She feels the same way about me as I do about her." The joy was evident in his voice and Mulder was happy for him. Even if he was annoying a lot of the time.

"How far away are we?" asked Jack

"Ummmm, about ten miles, I wonder how far this thing will go?"

"Yeah me too" agreed Jack, he was filled with joy at the recent conversation that he had just had with his 2IC, though he didn't know how he would act on it.

It was four hours later and they were still driving.

-Hey Carter, I am beginning to think that we will have to face the fact that we will be having no secrets from each other from now on. I mean we have been driving for hours and I can still hear you.-

-Well that couldn't be entirely bad, I mean it has helped to understand where we stand with each other, it would be useful when we are off world and we get separated or something-

-Yeah I guess so, I am sort of getting used to you in my head anyway-

-Mmmmm, it would be weird with out you in my head- Sam then turned to Scully next to her

"Dana, do you think we should find some where to spend the night and go back tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds like a good idea to me, you tell the guys." She replied.

-Jack, we are going to find somewhere to spend the night and then we will drive back in the morning. We are both too tired to drive back tonight, kay?-

- Kay, we'll do the same.- Jack agreed, though he wasn't too keen on the idea, he realised that he was tired to and Mulder looked tired a swell and he didn't want to be stuck in this car any longer.

Sam and Scully had found a cheap motel to stay in. They decided to share a room, to save money. After all, they were both women and were becoming good friends. They were sitting on Sam's bed eating the pizza that they had ordered, when Sam's phone rang.

"Hello?"

** Sam? Where are you? You were supposed to stay at home, but I'm at your house now and there is nobody there.**

" Oh hi Daniel. I'm not too sure where I am at the moment. I am about five or six hours out of Colorado."

**What!!!!! What are you doing there, are you alone, why didn't you tell anybody you were going?**

"Daniel, calm down. I didn't expect to be going anywhere. Jack and I were trying to see how far away from each other before this telepathy thing stopped working."

** So you are there with Jack?**

" No Jack is about twelve hours in the other direction"

** What!!! You are there alone and Jack is what!!**

"Daniel, I'm OK, and I'm not alone. Scully is here with me and Jack is with Mulder."

**Who are Mulder and Scully?**

"Friends who are trying to help us figure this out."

** Jack is going to have a lot of explaining to do. I can't believe that he left you alone out there.**

"He didn't, he left me with Dana, and she is an FBI agent with a gun and I am an airforce with level three advanced hand to hand. I think that we can look after ourselves."

** You mean that not only did he leave you alone with a stranger, but he left you alone with a women. Two women alone in a strange place isn't a very good thing to be happening.**

"Daniel, Did you hear a word I said?! First of all, Dana is not a stranger, second of all I just explained to you that we can care of ourselves. And why are you so angry anyway?"

**I am angry because you went off without telling me and I got worried, so did Teal'c.**

" Well I'm sorry, but I thought that you had to some stuff on the base and I don't think that Teal'c is worried. Unlike you I don't think that he is blinded by the fact that I am a woman. He knows that I can look after myself. I'm fine anyway it is kinda nice to get away."

** Well I can't say that you have put my mind at ease, but you promise that will come back fist thing in the morning?**

"Yeah, we were going to do that anyway."

**Alright, see you tomorrow, I will drop by in the afternoon.**

"Bye Daniel"

"Who was that?" Asked Dana

"Oh that was a guy I work with. He was a bit annoyed 'cause I went away without telling him. I think that Jack is going to get an angry call from him because he left two women in a strange place on their own." Sam said with a laugh

"He sounds very protective"

"Yeah, he like a big brother to me."

-Sam, why is Daniel yelling at me, and what is he saying? The only words that I am catching are Sam, alone, strange and irresponsible. Can you fill me in?- Sam smiled

-Well what I think he is saying is that you are irresponsible because you left me alone in a strange place with a stranger.-

-Gees, you think he is going over the top a bit. It was your idea-

-He is just protective, that's all, think about it, if you were in his position, you would do the same thing- Jack didn't reply to Sam instead he tried to talk to Daniel.

"Danny, calm down, Sam's OK you talked to her yourself and you of all people know that she can look after herself."

**Well if she is not home safe tomorrow, I will blame you.**

"Yeah, right, sure, bye Danny"

"Wow, who was that? Asked Mulder who had been trying to understand the conversation, but not doing a very good job.

"That was Daniel, a friend that I work with."

"He didn't sound very friendly"

"Yeah, well he was annoyed that I left Sam in the middle of nowhere on her own"

"But she's not on her own. Scully is with her, and Scully has a gun."

"An Sam has level three advanced hand to hand, plus Daniel knows that Sam can be deadly if she wants to be, but he wouldn't listen. He is like a protective brother to Sam, though I think that he needs more protecting than she does." The two men started to laugh. There was still tension in the air, but they were more at ease with each other than before.

Sam and Scully lay in their beds staring at the ceiling

"Do have any idea what has caused this telepathy thing Dana?"

"Not yet, but I doubt that we will ever find out. Anyway, it hasn't hurt anyone and you even admitted that you liked it so it doesn't matter if we don't. It might even be useful."

"Yeah goodnight"

"Night"

-goodnight Jack-

-you too Sam.-

In the morning when they all arrived at Sam's place a very annoyed Daniel was there waiting with a very confused Teal'c.

"Where on earth have you been! Do you know what time it is? I've been worried. You said that you would leave first thing in the morning!" Daniel asked trying hard to keep calm, but not succeeding.

"Well hi to you too. Hi Teal'c. "Jack said also trying to keep calm. Teal'c just bowed his head at the party and said nothing. Mulder and Scully gave each other curious looks when they saw the large black man with a weird symbol on his forehead. Daniel noticed the agents for the first time. He tried to remember his manners.

"Hi you must be the FBI agents." He said offering his hand to Mulder then Scully. "I'm Daniel"

"Hi, I'm Mulder and this is agent Scully" Mulder replied as both agents shook his hand. They both looked at Teal'c.

"And you are....?" Scully asked politely. When he didn't answer, Jack jumped in.

"This is Teal'c. He's more of the strong silent type."

"I can see" Mulder said eyeing Teal'c curiously.

"Well why don't we all come inside instead of giving the neighbours something more to talk about." Sam suggested.

"What do they have to talk about at the moment?" Daniel asked

"Well ummmmm..... let's see.......... two FBI agents turn up at my house, I mysteriously disappear for a couple of days then return home to two men standing on my drive way one of which hardly says a word and has a strange symbol on his forehead and looks like he is from another planet."

-Sam!!- Jack yelled in her head

-What?- Sam asked not realising what she had done

-From another planet? Of all people I wouldn't have expected you to say that, maybe Daniel, but not you-

-oops, sorry- Sam then turned to the agents and smiled at them showing them that she was just joking. Dana, however, was not fooled. She didn't know what, but she knew that Sam had said more than she should have. She decided to ask her about it later. They all went into Sam's living room and sat down. Jack sat on the floor at Sam's feet.

An hour later they were all talking like old friends. SG-1 were telling Mulder and Scull stories about their missions, but changing them and taking out and adding certain bit of info so that they wouldn't reveal too much. In return Mulder and Scully were telling their fair share of stories as well.

After they had been there for a few hours, the agents decided that the case was going to be another unsolved one and they would leave the next day for Washington. On their last night they decided that they would take them out to a local bar that SG-1 often went to after missions. Every one including Teal'c and Daniel went. The bar was full and had a lively atmosphere and there were people dancing or just sitting at tables talking. SG-1 and the agents had been talking at a table in a corner.

" So what did you think of your brief visit to Colorado Springs?" Daniel asked Mulder and Scully

" Well it was different to what I expected. It has a lot of interesting things, as well as people" Mulder said eyeing Teal'c curiously. After a minute he just couldn't resist asking.

"Does he ever say anything?" He asked motioning towards Teal'c. Mulder felt someone kick him under the table. He looked at Scully and she gave him a sweet look, but he saw the message behind it. He could always tell what she was thinking by just looking into her eyes. He sent her a look as if to say -what did I do- but he knew, he just liked to get her worked up.

" Well sometimes" Daniel answered slightly amused at Mulder's question

" I speak when there is something worth saying" Teal'c said.

"Maybe you should try that sometime Mulder" Scully suggested giving him another look.

"It might keep you out of trouble" Sam giggled at the look on Mulder's face.

"And me" Scully added as an afterthought."

"I think the Colonel might benefit from it too" Sam said. Jack gave her an exasperated look.

"When do I talk too much?" He asked.

"Don't even get me started" Daniel laughed

"And like you to can talk. With all scientific mumbo jumbo talk and boring rocks..."

"Artifacts" Daniel corrected him

".....and boringrocks, you two won't shut up, and you sayItalk too much."

"I hear you" Mulder said with a smile.

"I do not believe that Major Carter or Daniel Jackson talk too often. Though I believe that silence would be beneficial to you sometimes." Teal'c stated

"Oh for cryin out loud!! Back me up why don't you?"

-And I will deal with you later- he added silently to Sam who sent him an interested look, which Scully noticed.

" You know, I think that we are just not understood properly Jack. I mean we are both constantly surrounded by scientists who say things that we could only dream of understanding and when we talk, they act as if we are inferior beings that walk the earth only because we are not wanted anywhere else."

" Well I wouldn't have put it quite like that but........... I guess that you're right. It's nice to find someone who understands finally" Jack said with a laugh. Both Sam and Scully looked at each other when they saw how well the two men were getting along. Daniel decided that this was a conversation that he had better not get into or he might end up saying something that would get him into trouble so he took Teal'c to the bar to get another drink. Sam smiled at the two men who were now talking like old friends.

"Well since you two seem to getting along so well I think it is safe for Dana and I to leave for a few minutes."

"Why do women always have to go to the bathroom together?" Jack asked

"I never said that!" Sam defended

"Yes, but you thought it." Jack replied with a smile. " So tell me, why do women always go to the bathroom together?"

"I think that that is a mystery that should be left alone" Mulder suggested

"Well I'm surprised to hear that coming from you Mulder" Scully said with a laugh.

"Why would you be surprised?"

"Oh come on Mulder, usually I have to drag you away from unsolved mysteries."

"Well I have been told that women are a mystery best left alone"

"Very wise" Sam said dragging Dana away.

-Well I will find out soon enough- Jack thought to Sam

-no you won't- Sam replied grinning mentally

-why's that?-

-'cause not even us women know, it is just something we do................ That, and the fact that I have practised blocking information from you and have blocked the answer so you will never know- She replied now laughing in her head and out loud.

"What's so funny?" Dana asked as they entered the ladies room.

"Oh nothing, just gave Jack another thing to think about."

"Jack? Since when do you call him that?"

"Um......well.......he......" Sam realised she had slipped up.

"You love him don't you?"

"What about you and Mulder, you two seem to have some deeper connection thing going on there too?"

"Don't change the subject!" Dana said.

"Well yeah I do, but don't you go giving me the whole "you should tell how you feel before it is too late speech" cause I have heard it before."

"Believe me, I won't I have heard it enough as well, and I know exactly how you feel. You work with him and you are really good friends and If you tell him it might wreck what you already have. It is the same with me and Mulder."

"Yeah I guess it is." Sam sighed

"But I think that it is time we both wake up to our senses!" Scully said forcefully. "I have a dangerous job and from the sound of it, so do you and one day it might be too late and what are we going to do then? You and the Colonel have a special connection and you were right about the fact that Mulder and I do to. I think we should act!"

"Oooooh, who is little miss noble?" Sam laughed

"I'm serious" Sam became serious again

"Yeah I know, and I will tell him, I just have to figure out how without loosing my job"

Back at the table, Mulder and Jack were having a deep and meaningful as well. "She's pretty isn't she"Jack said

"Who? Sam? Yeah, I can't believe that you two aren't together. You would look really good."

"No! I mean Scully, your partner"

"Oh...... Yeah I guess she is"

"You guess!"

"Well it is not really appropriate to act on how I feel given our jobs, our lives, our friendship....."

"Oh don't give me that crap! You two are in love! I can tell just by the way you look at her!"

"Yeah so what? We both know how we feel about each other"

"You told each other, and you still aren't together?" Jack asked confused

"Well we didn't exactly Say it out loud, but we know"

"You should say it out loud before it is too late! Believe me, I know from experience" Jack paused "but that is not something we need to go into right now." He added, cringing at the memory of his son. Mulder understood and didn't say anything.

"What about you and the Major? I mean this thought connection thing has to mean something."

"Yeah, well I love her with all my heart, but I will wait and see if she loves me first before I scew up both of our careers" Jack sighed. At then point Daniel and Teal'c returned from the bar.

"So what's happening, where are the girls?"

"We're here" Sam said as her and Dana sat down.

"Oh I love this song!!" She exclaimed and stood up again.

"Who is coming to dance with me?" Everyone stayed where they were.

"Oh come on Dana, you have to dance" Sam pulled Scully reluctantly to the dance floor and into the crowd of people who were all dancing. The guys sat there watching the women dance. SG-1 had never seen act like this before and Mulder had never seen Scully like this either. Usually they spent most of their time working and would never go up and Move the way that they were moving on the dance floor. It was almost hypnotic.

- God she looks great like that- Jack thought. He regretted it straight away. He knew that Sam had heard him. She didn't say anything but he had a feeling of pride and embarrassment wash over him that he knew was not his. Mulder was also admiring his view of his partner. He had never seen her like this before, but how it made him feel.

As the song came to an end and a slower song started playing Mulder decide to ask her to dance. He stood up and started to walk over to her.

"What ya doing?" Asked Jack

"What I think that you should do also" He replied. Jack got the hint and also decided that now was as good a time as any. He stood up and walked over to the woman who was swaying to the music, took her in his arms and started to dance. At first she was surprised. She looked into his eyes as if to ask what he was doing. Jack felt her uncertainty and opened up his heart to make sure that she felt his love for her so that she would understand. Finally she relaxed into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder enjoying the feel of him. Jack loved having her in his arms. It felt so right and Sam felt what he was feeling.

Scully gave Sam a smile when she saw her in Jack's arms. When she turned around she saw Mulder standing there.

"May I have this dance?" He asked her

"Sure" she said and put her arms around his neck. He put his at the small of her back as they started Swaying slowly to the music. Scully laid her head on Mulder's chest and listened to his heart beat. She loved him so much and was so scared that one day it would be too late to tell him. So she decided to take her earlier advice and tell him.

"Mulder" she said quietly

"Yeah?"

"You know I love you don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. And I love you too, more than anything else."

"Good" she replied dreamily and laid her head back on his chest.

Meanwhile, Sam and Jack were just enjoying each others company. As that song came to and end and a faster song came back on Jack looked down into Sam's crystal blue eyes. She looked back into his chocolate brown eyes and smiled.

"I love you" He whispered in her ear and as if to reinforce this he thought

-I love you so much that it sometimes hurts to be without you- As Sam looked into his eyes she saw all the love in them.

- I love you too. And you won't have to without me anymore. I love you and I don't care what any regs say-

-Really? -

-yeah-

-Wow. That is the best news I have had in forever- Sam felt his joy and knew that she had made the best choice. They just stood there arm in arm looking into each others eyes until Jack bent down and gently pressed a kiss on Sam's lips. Electricity ran through them as both their lips touched. Jack deepened the kiss and Sam willingly complied. The kiss was even more amazing because they were feeling it twice over through the others feelings After a while they broke apart gasping for air.

- Wow- Jack exclaimed

-Yeah- agreed Sam

They walked back to the table were they were met with a grinning Daniel and Teal'c who had been watching the whole thing. Though Teal'c wasn't really grinning. He just raised his eyebrow like usually does

Mulder and Scully also started to go to the table, but Mulder quickly pulled Scully back into the crowd and kissed her soundly on the lips. She started to kiss back, but them Mulder pulled away and started to go back to the Table with a huge grin. Scully's face was flushed when she reached the table and Sam gave her a knowing smile. They spent the rest of the evening talking and laughing together with Sam and Jack holing hands and Mulder and Scully sitting close together also. Many lasting friendships had been mad those last couple of days, brought together by Sam and Jack's special connection. That connection had served it's purpose and everyone was so filled with the new meaning in their lives that nobody noticed when it never came back.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to lexi