Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Special Occasion

by Lea ONeill
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Special Occasion

Special Occasion

by Lea ONeill

Summary: Jack and Sam resolve their issues. Jack and Teal'c go shopping while Jack waits for 'a very special occasion'.
Category: Other
Holiday: Christmas
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/08/03

A Special Occasion

Jack met Sam on the park bench. Fall leaves swirled around them with the light cool wind. Sam wore a green pull over fleece jacket to combat the chill. "Thanks for coming," Sam said with an unsteady smile. Jack nodded, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. He wasn't sure what would be forthcoming. He only knew Nicole's side so far. He sat down. "I'm kinda at a loss," he explained. Sam nodded. "I know sir. That's fine. I'll do the talking." Jack shrugged. "Sure."
"I guess by now Nicole's told you about our...disagreement. And, well, you know how I feel. I think I told you back in the lab." "Yeah, you think Nicole's not good enough for me, or something like that." "Sir, I'll be the first to admit," a slight blush came into her cheeks. "I thought maybe there was some kind of...." "Jealousy?" he attempted.
She nodded, averting her eyes. "But I've come to the conclusion, I just...well, I care about what happens to you, sir. I just didn't want to see..." "Me get hurt?" he finished again when she lacked the words. Again Sam nodded. "I really want for you to be happy. And I can see now that Nicki makes you happy." Jack nodded. "Yeah, she does."
"And I know about all she's been through trying to make things better. I guess I thought she was using you, sir." "And now?" he asked.
"I realized that she loves you."
He nodded.
"And that she is a good person who's been through a lot. And that I want the both of you to be happy together." Jack gave Carter a smile. "I appreciate that Carter. I really do. Your opinions, your approval means a lot to me. You're a good friend carter. I know that cause only a really good friend would have put as much into this as you have." "Thank you sir."
And then Jack did something a litlle...well, unprecedented for him. He hugged Sam. She, surprised, hugged him back. Finally he broke, a bit embarrassed about the display. "Uh, so we're all okay now, right? I've got my team back?" Carter nodded. "Yes sir."
"Good. I'll see you Monday morning." He stood to leave. Carter stayed on the bench. Then Jack turned, almost forgetting. "Oh, hey Carter?" "Yes sir?"
"Pizza tomorrow night?"
She smiled. "Yes sir. I'll be there." "Good."
And with that, Jack turned and left, walking into the wind, a scattering of brown and orange leaves behind him. Carter watched him go. She knew when things were best left unsaid and undone. And she meant what she said. As long as he was truly happy, then she could be to. And she could go on with her life. As Jack O'Neill's second in command. And as his friend.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"To what end is the ring meant?" Teal'c was asking Jack, as they stared at a display of diamond rings in the jewelry store. Jack shrugged, eyeing different cuts and settings of stones. "Well, it's like a symbol. Of everlasting love. You know, a circle. It never ends." "Indeed. And it pleases the woman?"
"Yeah. And that's the important part." "Not the unending love?"
"Well, yeah, that's important too. But picking the right ring, believe me, it's important." "And you seek a ring that will please Major Walker?" "That's the idea."
The salesman, putting down the phone, came over to them. Or rather, he swished over to them. "Gentlemen," he greeted merrily. Jack thought the guy plucked his eyebrows a little too much. "Finding anything to suit your tastes?" he asked, eyeing Teal'c up and down. "Oh, and I'll bet you have expensive tastes!" Teal'c raised an eyebrow and looked from the gay salesman to Jack. "I do not," he said flatly.
"Well then you must be the lucky one," the man said to Jack. Jack squinted an eye and tried to keep from making a face. "Not exactly in that way. I'm looking for something for my girlfriend." The salesman winked. "Oh, certainly sir. Can I take something out for you?" he said, each word dripping with innuendo as he stared at Teal'c. "Yeah," jack said, clearing his throat, as so the man might pay a bit of attention. "That one there, the triangle one with the little square ones on the sides." The man took the ring out of the glass display. "This is a Marquis cut centerpiece sir, with baguette detailing set in white gold. A total of two carats. Excellent taste." Jack looked at the ring, turning it over, glancing at the price. On the upward slant of $5000. "Boy, inflation's sure risen since the last time I bought one of these." He replaced the ring in the box. "Thanks." He turned to go. "Certainly sir. You and your friend do come back!" Jack and Teal'c left the store.
"You did not find that ring suitable O'Neill?" Teal'c asked. Jack shook his head. "I just can't seem to find the right one. And that guy...well, I think he would have rather been putting a ring on you then selling it to me." Teal'c gave him a strange look. "He is a lover of men, correct?" "To say the least."
"Indeed."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They went though the other jewelers in the mall, but still Jack had found nothing that he though Nicki would like. Oh sure, there were expensive rings, and beautiful ones. But nothing `talked' to him. "So you will not select a ring for Major Walker?" Teal'c asked, noting that Jack was still empty handed. "I guess not today buddy."
"But have you not been promised to her?" "You mean have I popped the question? Well, no not really. Not in so many words." "The question being acceptance of Tau'ri marriage?" Jack nodded as they headed out to the truck. "That would be the one." Teal'c did not comprehend the rituals involved with the whole thing. A Tau'ri man professes love to Tau'ri woman. They are promised. They have the honored ceremony as he had witnessed on many movies and Television programs, and all is done. But O'Neill made it seem much more complicated. "She likes old stuff, you know what they call antiques," Jack explained, starting up his Ford. "I'd really like to find something like that." "You should ask DanielJackson. He too is fond of `old things' is he not?" "Maybe I will. But for now, this is just between you and me, okay T?" "Ah, yes. You wish to surprise Major Walker." "I do. When the time is right."
"I will not reveal the purpose of our shopping trip O'Neill." "Thanks."

Teal'c puzzled over O'Neill's actions for some time. Even back in his quarters, he though about the Colonel's `quest' to find `just the right ring' for Major Walker. Teal'c had been to many places and seen many beautiful things. He did not see why the Tau'ri place such significances on baubles, but apparently it was true, as affected by O'Neill's actions and comments. Teal'c rummaged through a box of things in his quarters. It was some things that had come from Chulak, things that he believed belonged to his father. He found what he sought. Teal'c took out a small wood box. Inside the box, was a ring. It was made of Titria, a strong metallic compound from Chulak. Much like Tau'ri gold. But the Titria was more a shade of silver, high polished that never tarnished or looked dirty. In fact, in light, it took on hues of blue, lavender, green and yellow, much like polished chrome. The ring was in intricate woven pattern, somewhat like a Celtic knot around the entire circle. It was like an intricate woven pattern that the master artisans on Chulak prided themselves in. In the center of the ring was a oblong stone called Eluri. This was also native to Chulak. The stone was very precious on the planet. It was a deep blue in color, comparative to a sapphire. Teal'c believed the ring may have belonged to his father's mother, but he could not be certain. He wondered if it were something O `Neill might find appealing.

Teal'c rapped on O'Neill's door. He knew the CO was in his office doing paperwork, although O'Neill had said he would rather `eat nails and spit tacks' than finishing the work, although Teal'c did not see how consuming metallic objects would help with the project. "Come!" Jack grumbled, glad for any distraction that would keep him from having to spell check his document that was dragging along.

Teal'c came in and went to O'Neill's desk. He placed the box upon it. "What's this?" Jack asked.
"I believe it may be what you search for." Jack picked up the box and opened it. He took out the intricate, beautifully crafted, ornately designed ring. "Holy crap!" he said, taking in the beauty. He looked at the sparkling oblong stone, never having seen a gem cut in that particular fashion, at least on earth. He noticed how the silver-like band seemed to catch the light in different ways and almost change color. "This is beautiful Teal'c. Where'd you get it." "I believe it belonged to my father's mother. I would like you to have this if it pleases you O'Neill." "I can't take this Teal'c!" Jack protested. The big Jaffa tilted his head. "Does it not please you O'Neill? Would it not be suited to Major Walker?" "Well, yeah," he said eyeing the perfect piece that reminded him of something that might have come from the renaissance era. "But I can't take something that belonged to your family. It's an heirloom. You might want to pass it down to your son." "Rya'c would have no use to wear this ring." Teal'c was still not grasping what Jack was saying. "No, Teal'c, I mean, you might want to give it to him for it's sentimental value." "Jaffa do not value things in such a way O'Neill. I have no use for this, but am pleased if someone as honored as Major Walker would enjoy it." Jack still shook his head, eyeing the jewel. "But this must have cost a fortune." He realized continued denial of the great gift of respect the Jaffa was paying him would only offend his warrior friend. "I am honored," he finally said. Teal'c slightly bowed his head.
"Seriously, Teal'c this is perfect. Nicki will love it," Jack told him. He knew Nicki was not the type who would want some run of the mill ring that could be bought just anywhere. She was a lover of things old, beautiful, rare and one of a kind. This was certainly it. He picked up the ring again. "Thank you," he said.
"You are welcomed O'Neill. Now will you be promised to Major Walker?" Jack grinned. "All in good time my large friend. All in good time." Jack knew that when the time came to pop the proverbial question to Nicki, it would have to be a very special occasion.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lea ONeill