Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Month in a Day, A

by Lady S
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Month in a Day

A Month in a Day

by Lady S

Title: A Month in a Day
Author: Lady S
Email: selizaw@juno.com
Status: Complete
Category: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: Star Trek The Next Generation
Season/Sequel info: Unknown
Rating: PG13
Content Warnings: Language
Summary: Sam?!!! Pregnant?!!!
Disclaimer: Don't own any of it. Don't want to own any of it. Just like to write about it.
Author's Notes: Okay the basic plot comes from a STTNG episode but I thought it'd be neat to get SG-1's reaction to it. Hope you like it, it's only my second fanfic. Let me know what you think!

SAM

"Are we there yet?"

I roll my eyes. Leave it to the Colonel. I can't help but smile though. I never can help it, he just has that effect on me. He knows it too, which makes it even more frustrating, especially when I really want to stay mad at him.

"Just a few more miles, Sir."

"And why did we go this way?"

'Because you're a sucker when it comes to Daniel' I wanted to reply. "To look at the temple, Sir"

"Oh... right."

Keeping down a sigh I keep my eyes on the terrain we were passing through. It's a beautiful place, kind of huge garden, like a park- a really big one. 'Nice place for a summer home' I think to myself. So far there were no natives, of course that didn'tmeanthey weren't there. They just usually waited to attack them later. 'Boy am I being a pessimist today!' I chastise myself.

It isn't long until we reach the temple. It looks like a smaller rendering of the stone-hedge back on earth. Kinda neat.

"Daniel..." the Colonel calls out.

"I know! I know! Don't touch anything! Got it."

The Colonel turns and shares a 'yeah-right-like-he's-really-gonna-listen' look with me before following Daniel into the temple. I was about to follow them in when I notice Teal'c staring at it, a confused look on his face.

"Teal'c what is it?"

"I have seen these buildings before Captain Carter. I cannot remember what they are for," he said, still staring at the temple. "I will remain here while I attempt to recall the memory."

"All right, just keep your eyes open."

"Why should I wish to close my eyes?"

"Sorry Teal'c. It's an expression. It means stay alert to your surroundings."

"Always."

Nodding I turn and walk into the temple. As soon as I cross the threshold I become really tired. Exhausted was more like it. Shaking my head to clear it I keep walking 'til I find Daniel and the Colonel. The inside of the temple wasn't much, just a big open room with a table in the center and another off to the side that the Colonel is sitting on. Daniel's busy studying the writing on the wall and talking to no one in particular.

"... cross between Egyptian and Arabic. Not too difficult to read. This was used for some sort of festival. Looks like... a... um... oh here! A mating festival of some sort."

"Like a big college..."

"Sir...!" I cut him off. The less of that the better.

"Yes Carter?" he answers, a grin on his face.

That too adorable, so sinful... 'Hey! Knock it off Carter!' Doing my best to glare at him I set down my pack, still feeling extremely tired. He must have seen it because he was at my side almost immediately.

"What is it Carter? What's wrong?" he asks. I could see the concern in his eyes.

"Nothing. It's nothing Sir, I'm just feeling a little tired."

The worry doesn't leave his eyes but he nods. "Have a seat, Daniel should be done soon and we'll make camp."

Nodding I sit down on the table and relax. Crossing my legs and sitting Indian style I put my head in my hands to close my eyes for a minute, listening to Daniel tell the legend of the temple.

TEAL'C

I nod a goodbye to Captain Carter and continue to stare at the temple before me. I can't recall everything but I see several images flash through my mind. Women, one by one sitting on a table, and being lifted in a bright light. They were taken away and no one ever saw them again. One of those women was my mother.

I suddenly feel it is not wise that Captain Carter be in the temple. Rushing into the temple I see her sitting on a table in the center of the room.

"Captain Carter! You must not...!"

I am not fast enough. I am unable to reach her before she, like my mother before her, was lifted in a bright light.

"Carter!" O'Neill cries out.

Daniel turns at his cry and stares in wonder at the sight before him.

Captain Carter lay floating, four feet from the table, in a brilliant light. Her eyes closed she seems to be in no pain. She seems to be asleep, her face peaceful. No sooner had it begun then it is over and she is gently brought back down to the table. The room plunges into darkness before the natural light again lit it. O'Neill pulls Captain Carter from the table and carries her out of the temple. I pick up her equipment and follow, Daniel Jackson following behind me. We emerge from the temple to find O'Neill sitting on the ground, cradling Captain Carter in his arms attempting to wake her.

"Carter! Dammit open your eyes Carter!" he yells at her.

Captain Carter almost always followed his commands, even in her sleep.

JACK

She opens her eyes and looks around, the confusion was evident in them.

"Sir?" she whispers.

"It's okay Carter. You're okay. Do you remember where we are?"

"PX257-603. We were examining a temple."

'Memories fine.' I think. 'Thank God!' "What about inside the temple? What do you remember?"

Her face contorts in confusion. "I didn't go inside. I was out here talking with Teal'c. He couldn't remember where he knew this temple from."

I look up at Teal'c. "You know this temple?"

"Only parts of my memories are clear. I was in a temple similar to this one and witnessed event of the same nature as Captain Carter's."

"Huh?" she asks. "What events?"

Carter shook herself out of my arms and sat on her own, looking to us for an explanation. Daniel gave it to her.

"You were floating, Sam," he began. "You were floating in this light for a few seconds and then you were put back on the table."

"I don't even remember going in."

"You don't remember being really tired? Sitting on the table?" I ask her. She shook her head.

'What the hell...?' I think to myself. "We'd better get back to the gate. I want Doc Frasier to look at you."

Standing I help Carter to her feet and we set off for the gate. We walk side by side and I keep glancing at her nervously to make sure she's okay. She looks a little tired but makes no complaints about it. 'She never was one to ask for a shoulder'

Not even halfway there it gets too dark to continue. 'Well we can't go any farther.' I think. Looking over at Carter I see that she's pretty beat. It doesn't make any sense. She is always the best of us when it came to hiking. I decide not top push her any farther.

"Let's set up camp here. We'll continue in the morning."

It wasn't long before we were around the campfire cooking up some grub. I pass a dish to Carter. She takes one look at it and turns Kermit Green.

"Hey I know my cooking's bad but it can't be that..." I didn't get the chance to finish.

SAM

I take one look and one whiff of the food and can't control the flip-flops my stomach start. I drop the dish and run into the forest hoping I can make it on time. I'm not sure how long I sat there but it must have been a while because the Colonel came up to me holding out a canteen. I swish some water and spit it, to rinse my mouth, before taking a drink.

"You okay?"

I nod. "I'm not sure what happened. I've always been able to stomach your food before." I said, putting a small smile on my face to let him know I'd be okay.

He smiles back but the concern still clouds his eyes.

"Really Sir, I'll be okay."

I can tell he wants to say something but he keeps quiet. Taking my hands he helps me up and we go back to base camp. I go straight to my tent, change, and lie down. I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow.

When I open my eyes the sun is shining brightly. I look at the sky and see that the sun is almost at its peak. Cursing myself for sleeping in and wondering why they let me do so I pull on my pants. 'That's odd! They fit fine yesterday.' I think as I have trouble buttoning them. Opening the tent flap I look around to see Teal'c in Kel-no-reen, Daniel studying some book he had brought with him, and the Colonel dozing in the sun. I look at the campfire, suddenly feeling ravenous. Grabbing a MRE I plunk myself down next to the Colonel and elbow him in the ribs.

"So why are we still here?" I ask him, munching happily on my food. 'Funny... I never really liked these things before'

He peeks out from under his hat giving me a look I can't quite interpret. "Waiting for sleeping beauty to wake up."

"Well she awake now."

"And looking more beautiful than ever."

He spoke so low I almost miss it. Almost. I blush and he grins. Getting to his feet the Colonel calls out to Daniel and Teal'c.

"Let's finish breaking camp and we'll be on our way kids. Carter you stay there. We'll break camp."

"Sir...!"

"That's an order Carter."

Glaring at him I snap off a mock salute and sit back against the log we had been sharing. It's fun watching them break camp. Daniel, even now, can't seem to get the tent back into the canvas the right way. The supply guys hated it when SG-1 came back from a mission. They always have to re-do Daniel's equipment. 'And this time they'll have to do mine too' I think to myself with a smile.

With everything all set we head out to the Stargate. It's a three-mile walk and for some reason the Colonel has set a very slow and relaxed pace. 'It's like he wants to take it easy and yet he's very nervous about something. He want's to get back' I realize, with a start, that he's nervous about me. I can't help but wonder, 'If he was this concerned why did he let me sleep?'

We reach the Stargate in a little over an hour and I dial us home. Daniel sends the signal and we all step through the gate.

JANET

"INCOMING TRAVELLERS!!"

I look at the clock. SG-1 is the only team out right now and they're not due back for another ten hours. NOT a good sign! Grabbing a medical kit I run out the door to the gate room to wait. SG-1 plus being early usually equals a full infirmary.

"It's SG-1 sir!" the airman cries out from the control room.

General Hammond stands next to me. We share a look, each of us thinking the same thing 'This is NOT good!' I watch as SG-1 steps through the gate. Sam and Colonel O'Neill step through first. Sam looks tired and Jack looks worried. After them Daniel and Teal'c come through, both of them looking in fine health but wearing the same worried look that Jack has. 'I'm confused'

"As am I Doctor." The General replies.

'Did I say that out loud??'

Jack walks down the ramp, Sam in tow. "Doc you gotta look at Sa... Carter. She was held in some sort of light beam thingy," he tells me gently pushing Sam in front of him.

Sam looks at him strangely. 'I wonder what happened between them?' "Come on Sam... er Captain Carter. Let's get you to the infirmary."

Taking Sam's hand I lead her out the door. Just before the door shuts I hear Colonel O'Neill tell the General he'll brief him later. The door re-opens and SG-1 comes out, fully intending to follow us all the way to the infirmary. Sam stops and turns to face them.

"Guys I'm fine. Go change. This is probably the only time you'll ever get the lockers before me, don't waste it!" she says to them, a smile on her face. "Go! Or I'll make sure Doc does FULL exams on all of you!"

I watch as Daniel's eyes get very wide, before he smiles at Sam. Squeezing her hand he turns and head to the lockers. Teal'c bows slightly and follows suit. The Colonel just stands there staring at Sam.

"Sir... I'm in the best hands on the base." She tells him before turning and continuing to the infirmary.

He watches her go for a minute, his worry written very plainly on his face. Before he turns to follow his team he looks me dead in the eye, not saying anything, but his message coming in loud and clear. I nod and watch as he turns to walk away. 'Yep, something definitely happened on this mission.'

"Okay Sam you can get dressed now." I tell her even as she's reaching for her shirt.

"Did you find anything?" she asks me.

"No, nothing yet. But the blood work should come back soon. In the meantime General Hammond wants us in the de-briefing room. Sam have you gained weight?" I ask. She seems to be having trouble buttoning her fatigues.

"I must have. I'll have to start watching what I eat." Sam says shrugging her shoulders.

Arm in arm we walk out of the infirmary. I have never been as close to anyone as I am with Sam Carter. She's like my sister and best friend rolled into one.

"So what happened between you and Jack?" I ask her.

Sam blushes but feigns innocence. "Nothing!"

"Sam!"

"Janet really! Nothing happened. It was just a little disconcerting coming to in his arms".

"His arms?" 'Oh this is good!'

"I must have blacked out because when I came to he was cradling me in his arms."

"Yes!!" I cried in success. 'Hey! It's a small one but at least it's a first step right?'

Sam slaps my arm and we burst into laughter as we walk into the de-briefing room.

DANIEL

'Jack really looks worried!' I think to myself. 'Beyond normal that is.'

Sam and Janet interrupt my thoughts as they walk into the room, laughing and giggling like two girls who just shared a secret. One look at the General and they sober right up each one taking a seat around the table, Sam across from Jack and Janet next to Teal'c. The General looks at Sam and then at Janet and motions for her to start.

"Well as near as I can tell there is nothing wrong with Captain Carter. The blood tests should be finished shortly."

"Alright. Captain Carter can you tell me what happened?"

"Sir I don't remember anything happening. The last thing I remembered, before coming to in... before coming to, was standing outside the temple with Teal'c."

"Teal'c?"

"This is true General Hammond. Captain Carter had been standing alongside of me. However she then went into the temple."

"Carter walked into the temple and leaned against one of the tables. She looked real tired so I told her to rest for a minute while Daniel worked on the translating. Then Teal'c came rushing in yelling at Carter. I looked at him and then back at Carter. By that time she was rising into the air in some sort of light. It lasted for a second or two and then she was lowered back to the table. I carried her outside and she woke up outside."

General Hammond nods as he finishes writing his notes. Looking back up at Sam he asks "And how did you feel Captain?"

"I felt a little out of it Sir, but other wise fine. Later on at camp I got a little sick. The next morning though I was fine."

A knock sounds on the door and it opens to reveal a nurse holding a chart. "Doctor you wanted the results immediately?" she says as she hands Janet the folder.

"Yes thank you." Janet says and opens the folder right away. She flips through the papers quickly until she gets to about the twelfth. Her eyes grow wide and she glances up at Sam.

"What is it Janet?" Sam asks.

She can't seem to say anything and just hands Sam the paper. Sam throws her a curious look and then examines the paper herself. As with Janet, Sam's eyes grow wide and she's speechless.

"Captain?"

"Carter?"

Neither of them gets an answer so I try.

"Sam?"

Sam looks at Janet. "There has GOT to be a MISTAKE!"

Janet simply shakes her head, still unable to speak.

"But that's... I mean there can't be... It's...No way that can..." she stutters.

Frustrated at them General Hammond grabs the paper from Sam's hands. As he looks at his eyes grow wide with shock, but he pulls himself together. "Doctor Frasier is there any way this can be a mistake?"

"No sir!" she replies. "It the most advanced test there is."

"Well then..." he says, hesitating before continuing. "It appears that Captain Carter is pregnant."

I sit back in my chair, shocked. 'Sam! Pregnant!!' Looking over at Jack I see a range of emotions playing over his face ranging from shock to disbelief to hurt to anger.

"What!" he yells. Looking at Sam he continues. "Who's the father?"

Sam flinches visibly at his tone but keeps her eyes down. Janet answers for her.

"There is no father." Holding her hand out to get the paper back, she continues. "In a normal fetus there are two genes, the mother and the father. In this fetus there is only Sam. No one else's genes are present."

I watch as Sam stares at her stomach, her hand placed protectively over it. In spite of herself a small smile tugs at her lips. I'm only half listening to the conversation going on around me until something the General says catches my interest.

"So what do we do with it?"

I know Sam well enough to know her reaction. She lifts her head slowly, but determinedly, and looks at the General. Everyone is silent as they listen to her soft, yet steeled, voice.

"With all due respect sir, there is no IT. There is me and MY child. I don't care how I got my child, the end result it that he or she is mine."

The General meets her stare as though he's trying to decide something.

"Dr. Frasier. Does the child pose any threat to Captain Carter or SGC?"

"No Sir. The only thing abnormal about this pregnancy is the accelerated growth."

"Explain."

"Sam seems to be growing at a rate of one month per day. In approximately eight days she'll give birth."

"Very well. We'll reconvene then. Dr. Jackson I'd like you to go finish that translation of the temple. Make sure you are never alone."

"General Hammond..." Janet says. "I'd like to take a look at this temple. I may be able to find some clues at to what happened to Sam."

"I don't think so Fr. Frasier..."

"First sign of trouble and I'll be right back home."

"Very well. Colonel O'Neill I want you with her at all times. First sign of trouble and you yank her home."

"Yes Sir!" Jack replied to him.

'I wonder what's bothering Jack?' I ask myself.

JACK

'Why Sam? Why does this sort of thing always have to happen to one of my men...I mean people? Sorry Sam. And why am I calling her Sam now? I always call her Carter, or Captain, or something like that. If I don't watch it I might say it to her face, or even worse, someone else's face. Damn I wish she was here! Someone to laugh at my jokes, or tell me, in her ever polite way, to shut the hell up! She's done that for me since the day we met. Sara never did that. Woah! Where the hell did that come from?! Comparing Sam to Sara?! I mean their nothing alike! Sara hates the military...Sam IS the military! Sara is normal...Sam's a damn genius! Sara was beautiful...Sam's...Hey! Get back down there! This is my 2IC I talkin' about here! Sam, the soldier; Sam the scientist; Sam, the woman who can kick butt; Sam the woman who's got a great butt... Oh shit. I think I'm in trouble!'

"Jack?"

"Yeah Danny."

"We're at the temple."

"Alright you and Teal'c go on ahead I'll stay with Doc."

I watch as Daniel and Teal'c went on in and then I turn to Doc Frasier.

"After you."

She smiles at me and walks over the threshold. No sooner has she done that than she sways, catching herself on the wall. I yank her back out into the open air and ask,

"Doc? What happened?"

"I don't know," she replies, shaking her head to clear it. "I was just suddenly over come by tiredness."

"Oh shit." I whisper. She turns to look at me and I explain. "That's exactly what happened to S...Carter. She said she got real tired."

"Colonel, I want to continue on in."

"Oh no! You are not going in there!"

"Colonel listen to me. We have to find out what it is that does this and why. Now I'm the only woman here and it doesn't seem to effect the men. Keep an eye on me. Don't let me do anything stupid but let me follow my instinct."

I hesitate, trying to decide between following my instinct and my need to know what the hell happened to Sam. Grimly I nod my head. Staying close to her I follow Doc into the temple.

SAM

"So Janet went through everything I did then?"

"Yeah basically. She got real tired and was drawn toward the table. When she put her hand on it the thing started to hum. Jack got her off of it just before the light show."

'Wow' I think to myself.

"Um...Sam?" Janet asks me.

I can't reply my mouth is full of food, so I look at her and raise my eyebrows.

"What...um...what are you eating?"

Quickly I swallow my bite to explain. "It's tuna-fish with mustard and relish on a chocolate-chip bagel. Wanna bite?"

The look on her face is priceless. "Um...Nooooo. That's okay you enjoy it."

"Anybody?" I ask offering my sandwich to the group. When everyone shrugs, 'Is Daniel's face turning green?', I shrug and keep eating.

"Sam," Daniel began. "I thought you hated tuna-fish."

"Oh I DO!" I told him. "I don't know why. It's sooo good!"

"Gentlemen...welcome to the land of cravings!" Janet deadpans. She laughs as she walks out the door, a promise to check on me later floating back into the room. Teal'c, too, leaves the room to do some meditation. Daniel, Colonel, and I continue to chat in Daniel's office for a little while. Well let me amend that. Daniel and I keep chatting. Jack... I mean the Colonel just stays quiet, drinking his coffee. As hard as I tried to think about what Daniel was telling me I couldn't help but think about Jack's... I mean the Colonel's...aw hell, Jacks' reaction. He was mad as a hornet at first. Then he just glared at me like it was my fault. He wouldn't even talk to me! So I tried to stay away from him but it made me miss him even more.

Pretty soon I realize how tired I am and make my excuses to leave. Barely able to stand on my own I don't resist when he offers to escort me to my quarters. We walk down the corridor, me leaning on his arm, until we reach my door. I look up at him and realize that there is something really big bothering him. I'm afraid that 'thing' is me.

"Sir..."

"Yeah Carter."

"Is there anything you'd like to talk about?"

For a brief instant I can see that he does, his eyes speaking to me plainer than English. But he shakes his head and opens my door and helps me in. 'He's being so sweet to me' I can't help but think as he helps me into bed. I crawl under the covers and put my head on my pillow. He turns to leave when I grab his hand.

"Please... stay and talk to me." I ask him.

"What about?"

"I don't care. I just want to hear your voice." My sleepiness making me forget to censor my words, I speak the truth to him.

The Colonel stared at me for a second before sitting on the edge of the bed. He took my one hand in his and began to tell me a story.

JACK

"One day there was a beautiful warrior named Samantha..."

"Hey that's me!"

"... She was working with an equally handsome man named..."

"Teal'c." Sam interjected with a teasing, sleepy, grin.

"Yeah right. Named Jack. Now this warrior happened to give his fair Samantha a fate worse than death. She was assigned to guard the kings jester Danniolus." Sam had to smile at the one. "But while fair Samantha was doing her job the royal magician, PX257-603, took away all her strength and replaced it with a child growing inside of her. At first Samantha didn't know what to do. Who could she turn to for help? Danniolus, the jester? No he was too busy sneezing. Teal'c, the Foreign Ambassador? No, she had to explain every third word to him. Or..." I paused as I saw Sam's eyes finally shut and her breathing become slow and even. "...Or Jack, the pain-in-the-ass Head Warrior who was a shit-head from the moment he found out about fair Samantha's baby? Yes. She forgave Jack and they went on to live happily ever after. The End"

I sat there watching Sam sleep for a while before I finally left to go see Daniel. There is something I want to do for Sam. Something to let her know I am sorry and will be here for her 100%. I find Daniel still in his office and lay out the plan I have in mind.

"That's a great idea Jack! I know just where we can get the materials!"

Daniel went bounding out of the office with a spring I his step. I also left, but in search of the other two people whose help I would need.

JANET

'It's a great idea!' I can't help thinking as I watch Sam wake up. 'She's gonna be so happy!'

"Janet?" she says as she rolls over in bed. "Am I late for my exam?"

"No," I tell her. "I thought we'd go for a walk. Exercise will be good for you and the baby. I brought you a pair of surgical pants. They tie at the wait so you'll have room to grow."

I toss the white surgical pants onto her bed and watch her smile. As Sam gets up I can see how much she's grown in the last four days. It's remarkable! Sam is absolutely glowing! 'She'll make an excellent mother!' I think to myself as Sam dresses.

"What am I gonna do for a shirt?" she asks me.

Thinking for a moment I come up with an idea. "Here... put on a tee-shirt and then leave this shirt on over it. For now you can leave it buttoned but later it'll have to stay unbuttoned." I pull out an oversized button up shirt with long sleeves.

Laughing Sam wiggles into the rest of her clothes and strikes a pose in front of me. "Modern Woman Air Force Attire!" she laughs.

I give Sam a quick hug before we start out on our 'walk'. Half an hour later we get to the rec. room that Jack has cleared out for the next hour, and Sam wants to investigate where the music was coming from.

'Just like Jack predicted!'

Suddenly the doors are thrown open to reveal Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c standing on a table with, what I assume to be pillows, under their shirts. Sam stares at the scene before her as they lip-sync to the song "Baby On Board". Soon she's laughing and crying at the same time.

They finish and jump down from the table to approach Sam. She kisses each of the on the cheek. 'Is it my imagination or did Jacks kiss last a little longer?' I keep quiet. That's for another day.

"Thank you guys so much!" she says to them, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Captain Carter it was not our intention to cause you distress."

That made her cry even more, laugh too. "Teal'c those are tears of joy!" I explain to him. He nods, as he understands what is happening.

"It was Jacks idea." Daniel tells her.

Sheepish surprise, and joy, covered Jacks face as Sam hugs him tightly, thanking him.

"We have one more surprise for you, Sam" I tell her. I walk over to the table and point out a large item covered in a tablecloth.

With confusion on her face, Sam walks over and lifts it revealing a beautiful wooden rocking cradle. Fresh tears spring to Sam's eyes as she runs her hand over the finely carved and polished wood.

"How did you..." she starts, unable to finish her thought.

Jack stands next to her. "It was Charlie's when he was brought home from the hospital. I've had it in my attic since then. I thought maybe..."

Sam flings her arms around his neck, kisses him and holds him tight. "Thank you so much...Jack."

SAM

"I'm not allowed off base so the team decides to stay in so that I don't have to miss our night out. < Are they the best or what? > It's now day six of my nine day pregnancy. The baby has started moving around, a lot. I still remember the first time he, we found out it's a boy, did that. I had been in a meeting with General Hammond and SG-1 along with Janet. We were just finishing up when he kicked me! Hard!

'Ow!' I had cried, putting my hand on my stomach.

'Sam? What is it? What's wrong?' Janet asked. Both she and Jack < When did I stop calling him Colonel? > came rushing over asking the same question.

'Kicked me! The little brat kicked me!' I laughed. I had taken to calling him the little brat until we knew that he was a he. Janet smiled and sat back, but Jack put his hand on my stomach when the next kick happened just a few seconds later. I don't know why but it felt so...right. I can't explain it. I know he's not his child and yet at some point over the last few days he's become the father. One more piece to my puzzle that is Jack."

I look up when I hear the knock at the door. Closing my journal I get up to answer it.

"Hey Sam! You ready?" Daniel asks me, his face full of smiles.

"Yeah." I reply, closing the door as I join him in the hall. "Where is everybody?"

"Oh they're already in the rec. room. I was already in the area so I thought I'd walk with you."

"Bull Danny." I tell him. "I know all about your little pact." I am actually only guessing but the look that passes over his face tells me I'm right.

"How'd you know?" he asks, no longer trying to hide it.

"I didn't. I was just guessing."

He looks sheepish and ducks his head. "Just don't tell Jack okay? He made us swear not to say anything."

Suddenly I stop. "Daniel come here!" I tell him.

"What is it? Are you okay? Should I call Janet?"

"Just shut up and come here!" I say.

As he steps closer I grab his hand and put it on my stomach. The little brat is playing soccer in there. He feels the kicks and smiles in wonder. I look at him while he stares at my stomach. 'So like a little boy who's about to become a big brother!' I think to myself. I smile as we continue walking.

"What's it like Sam?" Daniel asks, his voice very quiet.

I can tell he's thinking about Shau'ri. "It's like knowing that you're the only thing that stands between your best friend and the enemy. Like knowing that you're the only one who can protect him."

Daniel nods, understanding the feelings I tried to convey.

"Are you ever...glad?"

I stop, thinking about what he's asked me. "Yeah... I think I am Danny. I mean I would have liked to have been consulted! But yeah... I'm glad."

At that he smiles even wider than before.

"Did you think I wasn't?" I ask him.

"I don't know. I mean I don't think so. I just never really knew for sure if you were happy about it or if you were just kind of living with it."

"For a while it was both." I tell him honestly. "But now I'm very happy."

"Have you thought about a name?"

"Yeah."

Thankfully Daniel senses that I'm not ready to go any farther and drops it. Right then we enter the rec. room. Jack makes a place for me on the couch and I slide into it appreciatively, his arm sliding over my shoulders as though by habit. For the rest of the night it's jokes and movies, absolutely nothing serious. After a while I got a little hungry and decided to raid the commissary. I was standing in the back corner of the kitchen, where all the good stuff is hidden, when I hear two airmen enter. I was planning on making myself known but I heard them start to talk about me.

JANET

"What's keeping Sam?" I ask out loud.

No one knew so I went off in search of her. Approaching the commissary I see two airmen leaving. As I enter the commissary I notice that Jack is with me. Together we look in the kitchen and see Sam standing, as though frozen, in the back corner. I begin to worry. As we approach her it's as though she doesn't see us. I stand to her left while Jack stands to her right.

"Sam?" I say. "Sam, you ok?

Jack reaches out to touch her hand. As he makes contact she blinks and her stiffness leaves her, she crumples into his arms, sobbing. Jack throws me a look and rubs her back trying to calm her down. After a few minutes I try to talk to her.

"Sam, what happened? What's wrong...Sam?"

Pulling herself together a bit she tells us what happened.

"They... I was getting a snack. They were talking about...'bout me." She says before bursting into tears again. After a few moments pass she continues. "They said...they said that...that he should die! That (sniff!) that General should have (hic!) should have (sob!) killed him!" she croaks out before falling into hysterics.

Horrified that Sam should have had to hear their conversation I put my arms around her. Jack lifts Sam into his arms and carries her back to the rec. room. As we enter Daniel jumps up from the couch and Jack lays her on it, still sobbing. I kneel next to Sam trying to calm her down.

"What happened?" Daniel asks, his voice rising with every word.

Teal'c joins Daniel in standing next to Jack as he tells them what happened. As the story progresses I see their faces harden. 'I've never seen Daniel that angry!' I think to myself. Without a word, although he did take one more look at Sam, Jack stalks out of the room, followed closely by Daniel and Teal'c. Torn between keeping them sane and helping Sam I stay where I am hoping that between the three of them one will have enough sense for all of them.

G. HAMMOND

'I cannot wait to get home!' I think as I exit my office. 'It's been a hell of a day!'

As I make my way to the elevators I see Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, and Teal'c storming down the hall. Each of them wore faces of stone. Curious I follow them to the enlisted quarters. They stop outside of airmen's Robert's and Miklent's quarters. O'Neill raps loud and hard on their door. I watch as Roberts opens the door.

"Where's Miklent?" he demands.

Miklent came to the door and O'Neill orders both of them out into the hallway. Silently he regards the airmen for a minute. Then, faster than I have ever seen him move, O'Neill grabs Robert by the collar and throat and pushes him back up against the wall.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" O'Neill yells at him. Miklent moves to help his roommate when Dr. Jackson, 'Daniel !!', pushes him into the wall as well.

"Don't even think about it!" he says, his voice soft yet deadly.

By now the hallway is full of onlookers. I am about to step into view when O'Neill drops him.

"Don't you ever...EVER say anything like that about Sam or her child! IS THAT CLEAR, AIRMEN?"

I watch as the men nod, too shocked to speak. O'Neill and Dr. Jackson turn to walk away but Teal'c steps up to the two airmen.

"That was a most unwise course of action." He tells them in an even, deadly, toned voice.

I step back into a doorway as the three men of SG-1 pass by. The onlookers file silently back into their respective quarters, the show for tonight is over. Tomorrow... (sigh!) The rumor mills will be on overtime! Shaking my head I head for the elevators. 'It's been a long day!'

JACK

I am still boiling mad but I put it to the side when we get back to the rec. room. Janet looks at me gravely, no doubt wondering just how far I went. I think I used a exceedingly large amount of restraint. I kneel down next to Sam and look into her eyes, all puffy and red from her tears.

"Come on Sam, let's go." I say to her.

Taking my hands she lets me pull her to her feet. We walk out the door and I can hear Janet ask Daniel what happened.

His actions surprised me. Who knew that Daniel had something like that in him. I guess though that when it comes to Sam... well he'd do just about anything. They were close. Very close. Sometimes too close for my comfort but I learned a long time ago that they are as close as any brother and sister can get, and that was what they wanted. Teal'c...well with Teal'c it can be difficult to tell at times. But he will always stand up for honor, whether he stands with you or against you. Me... well what can I say? I think I love Sam and not in that brotherly way or a fatherly way. I, somewhere along the line, fell in love with her. Hook line and sinker- head over heels for my 2IC. Trouble with a capitol T 'And that rhymes with P and that stands for pool! Sorry!'

"Jack..." 'I love that she calls me Jack!' "What'd you do?" she asks me.

I look down into her eyes and see the unwavering trust in me, and in the team. "We showed 'em the error of their ways!" I tell her. She doesn't need the details.

Sam looks down at her stomach. I am so totally not prepared for her next question.

"Do you think they're right?"

Somehow I can sense that she needs the truth. "At first...yes. But it's like Janet says. This baby is all you. And that's more than enough for me."

Sam stops and looks at me. 'God she's beautiful!' Without warning Sam reaches up and kisses me. Not sure where she wants to go with this I let her lead the way.

SAM

I don't know why I kissed him. It was just one of those things that felt like it needed to be done. And boy am I glad I did. I look at his sleeping face and wonder why it took me so long to realize that I was in love with him.

'Gee, could it be because he's your CO?' my little voice says. 'Well DUH!' I say back.

I don't move as he slowly stirs and opens his eyes. 'Beautiful eyes.'

"Morning." He says, planting a kiss on my nose.

"Morning? Try afternoon!" I tell him pointing to my clock that reads 12:30 p.m.

"Oh shit!" he says climbing over me. "I'm supposed to be at a meeting with Hammond. I'll see you later!"

Jack leans down to give me another small kiss before he rushes out the door. Lazily I stretch and climb out of bed. Pulling on my clothes I waddle on down to the infirmary for my daily check up.

"Welcome to day seven," she says to me as I waddle past her.

I struggle to climb up onto the bed and find myself out of breath when I finally make it. Janet stands in front of me, takes one look and shoes everyone out of the infirmary.

"All right! What gives?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, feigning innocence.

Not even bothering to reply she just glares until I give in.

"Jack stayed with me last night." I saw the look in her eyes. "Sleeping! We slept."

"That's it? Just slept."

"Well..."

Janet laughs and does a little dance in front of me. "I knew it! As soon as I heard the story I knew there was more to it than they let on!"

"Huh?"

"Allow me to explain."

As I listened my heart swelled at what he, they, had done for me.

JACK

"Well if there's nothing else you're dismissed. Oh except for you Colonel O'Neill. I need to speak with you privately."

I wince as he says my name, wondering who it was that said anything.

"Jack..."

My head shoots up when I hear my name. 'This is serious!'

"Listen Jack. I know that you and Sam are close, but that stunt you pulled last night can't happen again. No matter what the reason," he began. "Now tell me what happened."

As I explained the story to him I could see that he too was upset. Hell...he was mad!

"Well then, it's a good thing I didn't see anything last night!"

With out another word he left the room and I head down to the infirmary. As I approach the last corner Robert and Miklent come around the corner, take on look at me, and scoot along the outer edge of the corridor. Smiling I continue on to the infirmary. Before I can get there the klaxon's sound their warning. Turning on my heel I run to the gate room to find out whose coming in.

"It's the To'kra sir!" I hear as I enter the actual gate room. Watching the blue-lit gate I sense rather than hear him stand next to me.

"Now just what in the hell are we supposed to tell him?"

"The truth?"

Before the General can respond Jacob comes over the threshold and walks down the ramp. He greets the general and then me before inquiring after Sam.

"Where's my daughter?" he asks. "She's usually here to greet me!"

"I'm right here Dad!" I hear her call from the doorway.

"Sam..." he begins before stopping dead in his tracks. "Sam!"

"Dad it's okay! I'm just..."

"Pregnant!" he cries.

'Why is he staring at me like that?!'

"Dad please! It's no ones fault but my own! Come on, I'll explain on the way to the infirmary."

SAM

I didn't mean for it to happen. It just did. I guess I had to get there eventually, it just happened so suddenly. One minute I was walking with Jack...the next I was standing in a puddle of water. I've never seen so much action! Jack picked me up and was running down the hallways faster than I thought he could move on his own! That was four hours ago. Now...now I'm holding my little boy. My child.

"Have you thought of a name yet?" Janet asks.

She's standing at the foot of the bed with Daniel, Teal'c and the General. I look at them and then at my father.

"Yes I have. I want to name him Jacob..." I begin. My father smiles. Turning my head I look at Jack. "Jacob Jonathan Carter. After the two men I love the most."

Jack smiles and kisses my forehead.

"All right people get out! My patients need their sleep!" Janet ordered. "You too Dad's!" she said to my father and Jack.

After they have all gone outside she comes to stand next to me. "You need your sleep Mom! Baby will be fine with me."

"Please Janet... just another minute or two." I beg.

She smiles. "All right. A few minutes."

I stare at my little boy, his sweet nose, and his ten little fingers. I notice a bright light in his chest and am about to call for Janet when it fills the entire room, blinding me. I look around but there is nothing to see. Only light, nothing else. I feel myself sinking until I am resting on a table. Suddenly the light flashes and goes dark.

I open my eyes and see Jack cradling me, his face creased by worry.

"Carter?" he says. "Carter can you hear me"

"Jack?"

His face turned to surprise. Sitting up I looked around to see that I am outside the temple of PX257-603.

"What happened?"

"You sat on that table. It started to hum and then you were floating in this bright light. Are you okay?"

I got to my feet but before I could answer there, once again, shone a brilliant light. It floated down to stop in front of me and materialized into a man with blond hair and blue eyes. I stared at him, not knowing what was going on. I heard his voice but his lips never moved.

"You have given me life and have shown me your love. Without you I would not be. I thank you for my name and for the knowledge of what your people have to offer. I hope to meet you again. Thank you my mother."

He reaches out to touch my face before de-materializing into a light and floating away into the sky. In that one instant of touch I knew his purpose, his people, and what this temple was for. In that one moment, I know the truth of what my life could be.

"Sam?" Daniel asked, breaking me from my reverie.

"I'm fine." Looking at them I can see that they are all very worried.

"Come on campers let's head home. I wanna get you looked at, Carter."

"Yes Sir," I reply. "Let's go home...Jack."

Turning I step into the doorway and I look once more in the temple. Kissing my fingers I touch the wall. 'Goodbye my son.'

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lady S