Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Bad Luck

by Jenni, Anna B
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Bad Luck

Bad Luck

by Jenni and Anna.

TITLE: Bad Luck
AUTHOR: Jenni and Anna.
EMAIL: jeni_86@hotmail.com and stargategirl86@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack relationship, Drama
SPOILERS: Sea Quest
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Language, male/female relationship, character death
SUMMARY: Sam saves two kids from a burning ship
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is our first story together and it's pretty good...send us feedback...greetings to Jule and Sanna.

Sam Carter was on P3X-149 with SG-11 as she heard some noises. She walked towards the place she heard the noises from. As she came closer she understood that there are some children crying. Sam started to run. She saw a burning ship. The voices seemed to come from it. Sam ran closer until she saw a small boy and a girl who was appearantly his older sister. Sam saw that the kids could not get out of the ship. Sam ran and tried to open the door. It didn't open. Sam took a knife and tried to open the window. It was very hard, but it worked.

"C'mon, guys, let me get ya out of here !" Sam said and smiled nicely as she took the girls hand. The boy ran to the corner. He was scared of Sam. Sam took the girl out of the ship and went to get her brother.

"There's nothing to be scared of," Sam said. The boy looked at her with wide eyes. He saw Sam wasn't going to hurt him. He let Sam take his hand and they left the ship. Sam saw the ship was going to explode any minute. So she and the kids ran away. They had to stop as they heard an explosion. Sam heard how the girl began to cry. Sam turned to face her.

"What's wrong ?" Sam asked. It seemed very stupid. Everything was wrong.

The girl only shaked her head. Sam looked at the boy. He was all shaking, and tears fell down his cheaks all the time.

"Holy Hannah," Sam whispered. She understood that the kids were in shock.

"Okay guys," Sam smiled. "There's nothing to be scared of...What's your name ?" She asked the girl. "And your ?" She turned to the boy. None of them answered.

Sam raised her head in desperate, and then she saw it. A village. It was not far, just behind a hill.

"Listen up, is that where you live ?" she asked the kids.

There was only silence, but Sam noticed that the girl nodded weakly.

"Well let's go there," Sam said. "Can both of you walk ?"

Sam wanted to give a hand to the boy, but the girl pushed her away angrily and hugged her brother. Then she took his hand and they started to walk towards the village. Sam walked behind them. She took out her radio for she decided to inform Jack about what was she doing.

Jack O'Neill was walking down a corridor in the base, as his radio started to ring. He picked it up.

"Jack."

"Hi sir, it's Sam Carter."

"Well howdy Carter !"

"Sir I just saved two kids from a burning ship."

"That's so typically you."

"I think I know where their village is so I'm taking them there. SG-11 will return home without me. I'll get the kids to a place they'll be safe. And then I'll come back. To the base. Bye, sir."

"No, Carter..." Jack tried to tell her not to do that without SG-1 but she had already turned her radio of. Probably because she knew he was going to say something like that.

"Dammit !" Jack said. He went to the room where Daniel and Teal'c were.

"I need your help, kids. It's Sam."

Sam and the children finally reached the village. Sam wondered why did it seem so empty and quiet.

"This is where you live, right ?" Sam asked the girl. She nodded.

"Where is everyone ?" Sam looked around. She decided to go and see if she could find anybody in the houses. She didn't have to go far, for after she had taken a few steps, there were suddenly lots of people around her and the kids. Sam looked around in surprise. The people rushed out of their houses, holding different kinds of weapons in their arms. They all were shouting something, and they seemed to be angry. Sam saw how the girl hugged her brother. Sam was just going to go and tell the kids everything was going to be alright, as a man walked out of the crowd. He was appearantly their leader. Sam walked towards him. She wasn't scared anymore, for she knew who was she dealing with.

"Who are you ?" the leader asked. "And why do you have those kids with you ?"

"I'm Major Samantha Carter," Sam said slowly. She didn't like the name 'Samantha', but she hoped it would be hard enough for the man to remember her full name. "I saved those kids from a fire. They were going to die in a burning ship."

The leader turned to look at the crowd. They were shouting something angrily again. The leader said some words to them, and they became quiet. The leader turned to face Sam.

"You have broken a law," he said trying to hide his anger.

"A law ?" Sam repeated. She didn't even want to think what had she done this time. It didn't seem like women had no right to speak here - there were a lot of women in the crowd.

"Those kids yousaved," the leader explained. "They were sentenced todeath." The man was quiet for a moment, giving Sam time to think about his words.

"And now," the leader continued."Youare going to die also, for you have broken the law of death...and- you are on our holy land."

Before Sam even understood what was going on, the leader gave an order to his men and they tied Sam and took her away.

"Where are you takin'me ?" Sam managed to say before one of the men put a piece of a rag into her mouth.

No one answered her. Sam looked at the men who were taking her somewhere. They didn't look very strong. Sam gave one of the men a kick. He almost fell down, but the other one cought him. Sam was sure it was her chance. She kicked the second man and tried to run away. She wasn't ready for the men who stood behind the door. They cought Sam. Sam was desperately trying to get herself out of the guard's arms. She knew it was pretty impossible, but she didn't care. Sam saw how the men who were taking her somewhere before she tried to escape came back.

"Do you want an answer to your question now, lady ?" one of the men asked.

Sam looked at him wildly. She was full of hate. She had saved two kids, and what those guys were doing to thank her was killing her. Dammit.

"We are taking you to a prison."

Jack, Teal'c and Daniel were watching helplessly how Sam was taken away. Daniel wanted to rush and save her, so did the others, but they all knew it would be wrong.

"Can we go there now ?" Daniel asked.

"Well I dunno. What if they have just some strange rituals. Or what if they are just going to make Sam wear some cute clothes again." Jack guessed. He knew he sounded stupid.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," Teal'c suddenly said. Daniel stared at him with wide eyes. Jack raised his eyebrows.

"I learnt that yesterday," Teal'c explained. Daniel still stared at him.

"Well thank you Teal'c," Jack grinned. "Now back to the thing we were talking about."

Daniel saw how the leader's jackal prepared something infront of one of the houses. Daniel grabbed Jack's hand as they both heard someone screaming inside the house. They both were sure it was Sam.

Jack could not stand it anymore. He jumped up and started to walk quickly towards the village.

"See, he's the one who didn't think we should go there," Daniel said and shaked his head. He and Teal'c followed Jack.

The jackal was entering the house as Jack clutched him.

"You're not goin'anywhere, buddy !" Jack said. Daniel and Teal'c came to stand behind Jack.

"I didn't do anything !" the jackal cried.

"Well now you will," Jack said. "Where's the woman that came here today with two kids ?"

"A woman ?" jackal asked. "What woman ?"

"You know, in army clothes, like mine. Blonde hair, blue eyes..." Jack became quiet as he saw Teal'c and Daniel stareing at him. "What ?!" Jack asked. Daniel shrugged.

Teal'c raised his eyebrow.

"You talk about Major Carter in strange way, O'Neill." he said.

"Oh please...anyway..." Jack turned to the jackal. "I know you saw her. You have to tell me where is she and how is she !"

"Or what ?" jackal asked.

"You're not scared of us, are you ?" Jack asked. The jackal shaked his head. Jack grinned. "Well you should be." Jack took out a gun. He looked around searching for something to shoot. He noticed a tree with big fruits on it. "Check this out !" Jack said and shot towards the tree. A couple of fruits fell down. The jackal opened his mouth.

"A miracle !" he whispered.

"Yeah, and the same miracle will happen to your head if you wont tell us where the hell Sam is !" Jack shouted.

"Is Sam the woman's name ?" the jackal asked.

Jack raised his gun.

"I really gonna shot you if necessary," he said.

"She is in prison."

"What ? Why ?"

"She broke a law." jackal said.

"What a damn law is it this time ?" Jack shouted.

"The woman broke the law of death, and she walked on our holy land."

"Geez." Jack said. "Hey, can you take us to see her ?" Jack raised the gun again as he saw that the jackal hesitated.

"Yes, follow me."

"And no surprises !" Jack said.

Jack, Teal'c and Daniel followed the jackal inside the house.

"Danny, any idea about that 'law of death' thing ?" Jack asked quietly.

"Well actually it might be the same thing that..." Daniel started to explain.

"Danny, I don't care about your fairy tales. Just tell me what is it !" Jack said.

"As I already said, it might be something like...well, if I'm right, these people believe that everyone has his own time to die."

"Don't you believe in it too ?" Jack asked, grinning.

"Very funny, ha ha. Anyway, Sam said she saved some kids. Maybe they were supposed to die today, or so the leaders thought. And now they're alive. So it seems like the leaders think that Sam came between life and death. Or something."

"I see," Jack said. "Any idea of what's the punishment ?"

"Jack, we don't even know if it's the thing I think it is."

"What about the holy area or whatever ?"

Daniel started to explain Jack about the holy land, and they finally reached the room where Sam was.

Sam raised her head as she heard sound of an opening door. She was slowly falling into desperate. She was hoping that Jack would come and save her, but the hope was almost gone. As she saw who entered the room, she first didn't believe her eyes.

"Sam ! Are you okay ?" she heard Daniel saying.

"Carter, geez !" Jack said and ran towards Sam.

"Hi !" Sam smiled weakly.

"So, you saw her, let's go now !" the jackal said. Teal'c looked at him seriously. "Okay, okay, but hurry !"

At the same time Jack and Daniel were asking Sam lots of questions. She didn't even try to answer all of them. She was just so happy to see her friends.

"Carter, we're gonna get ya outta here !" Jack said. The jackal gave them a sign, and they left.

Sam looked how the door got closed once again. She went to the corner where the kids were sitting. They had ran in there as soon as they saw Jack and others entering the room.

"You can come out now," Sam said. The girl looked at her with her wide eyes. Sam had never heard her talking, and she thought she never would. The girl came out bringing her brother with her. Sam smiled.

"Who were those men ?" the girl asked very quietly. Sam looked at her in great surprise. Earlier she had thought that it bothering to be in silence all the time, but now this felt even worse. "Are we going to be okay ?" the girl asked again.

"I...yes, my friends will take care of us," Sam replied. She hoped she wouldn't have to lie to the kids.

"What's your name ?" Sam asked the girl. She didn't get any answer. The girl had turned to her brother once again. She looked in his eyes for very long time. Sam felt something in her stomach. Suddenly she felt like she was going to cry. There were tears in her eyes, as she turned her head away from the kids.

Out of the building the jackal tried to walk away from Jack, Daniel and Teal'c.

"Not so fast, buddy !" Jack said and took jackal's hand. "Is there gonna be any kinda court or somethin'? How will ya guys know if she's guilty or not ?"

"Yes, there will be court tomorrow!" the jackal whispered.

"Do ya have any leverage in there ?" Jack asked.

"Yes...why ?"

"Well see, I'd like you to speek for Sam in the court tomorrow. And I think you can do it, can't ya ?" Jack raised his gun.

"Just like this, for free ?" the jackal asked.

"You lil'son of a...no, not for free." Jack said. "You'll get this." He showed the jackal a gun. Jack saw how jackal's eyes opened wide.

"Ow...thi...this ?" jackal asked. He thought about the power he would have if he'd only have a gun like the one Jack was holding in his hand.

"Yep, just talk to them for Sam. You know, all that holy land stuff..."

"Okay, okay !"

"You'll get the gun tomorrow after Sam is free," Jack said.

"No."

"No ?"

"No."

"What do you mean 'no' ?"

"I mean 'no'. Give me the gun now, and I will speak for your woman. Otherwise she is going to die."

"Right, and you are so nice and cute and that kinda stuff that we're gonna believe that you're gonna help our friend after you get the gun."

"You have to believe me."

"Ow...and tell me how can we know that you wont kill yourself with that damn gun ?"

"You have my word on it."

"Ow let me laugh !" Jack said, but he gave the jackal his gun. "And make sure that everything works out tomorrow !"

Jack, Daniel and Teal'c were already sitting in the hall as the guards brought Sam in. Sam tried to find the rest of her team. Finally she did. Jack nodded, and Sam understood things were going to work out. She gave Jack a smile. It was the most beautiful thing Jack had ever seen. Sam was so pale and she seemed so weak, and now she was smiling to him like an angel.Come on, old guy !Jack thought to himself.

Sam took a seat infront of the judge. The jackal was sitting next to the judge. The were talking. The jackal was explaining something to the judge, and it seemed to Jack that his plain was going to work.

"Attention !" the judge said. "The judgement is: that woman is not guilty anymore for walking on our holy land." Sam sighed. She felt so lucky. She looked at Jack. He gave her a smile. Daniel was shaking his head and smiling too. Even Teal'c gave Sam something like a smile.

"But," the judge continued, and Sam suddenly felt like she was going to freeze. So did the other members of SG-1. "But, the woman has broken the law of death, and the punishment for it is...death."

Sam opened her mouth. Jack stood up, but Daniel pushed him back to his chair.

Jack saw how Sam looked at him desperatily, asking for help. Jack saw fear in her eyes. She was trying to be brave, but she could not hide the tears in her eyes.

A couple of guards came to take Sam away.

"Jack !!!" Sam cried before she left the hall.

Jack looked at the jackal. The jackal was smiling impudently. Jack reached for his gun, but Daniel stopped him.

"Not now, Jack. It would be insane," he whispered.

Jack put the gun down and closed his eyes.

Jack, Daniel and Teal'c were sitting in a forrest near the village. They were desperately thinking what to do, how to save Sam.

"I think maybe we should go and talk to them," Daniel suggested. "If we tell them that we don't have rules like that on Earth, perhaps they'd understand."

"Yeah, why don't we go and talk to the jackal guy. He will help us for sure," Jack grinned.

They sat in silence for some time. All of them were trying to come up with something.

"Any ideas ?" Jack asked finally.

Daniel shrugged.

"No, O'Neill," Teal'c said.

Jack looked at his team mates.

"Well then we attack the building at night and get Sam outta there."

"Shouldn't we tell General about this ?" Daniel asked. "Maybe we should go back to the base and take some more SG-teams with us ?"

"Nope, I don't think so."

"But Jack, they have lots of men and there are only three of us."

"I'm sure Sam will help us when we get there."

"Ow...that helped."

"Okay, we get into the building as if to see Sam, then we kill the guard and get out of there. Then we run to the gate and go home. Is it clear ?"

"Pretty clear," Daniel replied.

"It is, O'Neill," Teal'c said.

"So Danny, you go and find out when are they going to...kill Sam. We stay here. Come back as soon as possible."

Daniel stood up and left.

Jack and Teal'c were sitting in silence. None of them wanted to talk, for they both were thinking about their night trip. What if it was already too late ? What if they couldn't save Sam ? Jack didn't even want to think about all those things. He couldn't imagine his life without Sam. She meant so much to him.

"Doctor Jackson is returning, O'Neill," Teal'c said. Jack looked at the direction Teal'c was looking at.

"Tomorrow morning," Daniel said as soon as he reached Jack and Teal'c.

"What ?" Jack asked.

"It'll happen tomorrow," Daniel explained.

"Ow," Jack nodded. "So that plan I told ya about is still working, right ?"

"Yep - we go there to see Sam, then we...kill the guards, get Sam and leave." Daniel said.

"That's right, Danny !" Jack smiled and looked for his bag. "Let's eat something and then we'll rest. We're gonna have a hard night tonight, kids."

It was about an hour after the sunset, as Jack, Teal'c and Daniel knocked on the door of a house near the prison. An old man opened the door.

"Who is it ?" he asked angrily.

Daniel smiled. "Good evening," he said. "We have a...friend there in prison. She is punished to death, and it's gonna happen tomorrow morning. We would like to see our friend for a last time."

"So ?" the man asked.

"So let us god dammit into that god damn prison !" Jack shouted.

"Okay, don't get nervous..." the old man mumbled as he went to get his keys. He called one guard.

"Tonio, take those men to see the woman that will die tomorrow."

The guard nodded and asked Jack, Daniel and Teal'c to foolow him. They walked into the prison. Daniel raised his hand to his face because of the terrible smell. Jack looked at him and grinned.

"It's better than in Iraq, you know," he said.

"No, I don't know, actually," Daniel replied.

As they reached Sam's room, the guard turned to look at them. "She can not be disturbed. She is ready to face her death, so you may not touch her," he said.

"Ow what a pity ! And I was goin'to touch her as usual. Damn !" Jack grinned, but the others didn't find it funny.

"Let's get in there, anyway !" Jack said as he noticed that nobody reacted to his joke.

They entered the room. The man who was looking after Sam left. He went to talk to the guard who had brought Jack, Daniel and Teal'c there.

Jack opened his mouth and wasn't able to close it anymore. He stared at Sam with wide eyes. He would never imagine she'd look like that. Daniel was standing right next to Jack, also stareing at Sam. Even Teal'c seemed amazed.

Sam was sitting on a chair. She was wearing a white tunic, that was very short and almost transparent. She had also a black cape with a hood. Sam had no shoes. She looked very calm. She was looking at the rest of her team, but she didn't seem to recognize them.

"Sam, hi !" Daniel greeted her. No reaction. "Sam ?"

Sam didn't even move. Daniel turned to look at Jack.

"I think she's under hypnosis," he said.

"Carter !" Jack shouted. He flicked his fingers under Sam's nose. "Carter what's wrong with ya ?"

Teal'c was watching them from side. Both guards came into the room.

"Step away from her !" one of them said.

"Teal'c ?..." Jack raised his eyebrow. Teal'c understood what Jack meant. He shot the guards.

"Thanks buddy," Jack smiled. "Now we have to be fast or some other guards will be here in a couple of secs."

"Geez Carter, just wake up now !!!" Jack shouted. Sam stared at him with wide eyes.

"Sam, I'm really sorry to do this, but..." Jack whispered and kicked Sam's leg. Sam moaned and raised her head.

"Gosh, what's goin'on here ?" Sam asked and stood up. She looked at her clothes in great surprise. "What's..."

"Don't have time, Major !" Jack said. "We're gonna get outta here now or never. Let's go !"

"Yes sir," Sam whispered and fell right into Jack's arms.

"Whatte..." Jack looked at Sam. She was probably unconscious.

Jack patted Sam's cheek. Sam didn't move.

"There is somebody in the corridor, O'Neill," Teal'c said.

"Well then I guess there's nothing left to do but this..." Jack said and raised Sam to his arms. She was so light and pale, that Jack had to check one more time is she even alive.

"Quick now !" Jack shouted and carried Sam out of the room. Daniel followed him, and Teal'c took his zat gun out and shot the guard that was running towards them down the corridor.

"Go, go, go !!!" Jack shouted as Daniel and Teal'c ran. Jack stopped like frozen as he heard a man behind him saying,

"Where do you think you are going ?"

Jack could not shot the guard, because Sam was on his arms. It would take too long to put Sam down.

Teal'c and Daniel stopped as well. Teal'c took his gun and shot the guard, but it was too late. The guard had already managed to blow into his whistle. Jack, Teal'c and Daniel heard as many doors of the prison opened. The heard how the guards ran down the corridors. SG-1 stood there, and none of them knew what to do.

Jack felt how Sam moved in his arms.

"Sir ?" he heard her voice.

"Hello Carter ! Doin' better now ?"

"Yeah," Sam smiled and tried to leave Jack's arms.

"Are ya sure you can do this ?" Jack asked and seemed worried.

"Yes sir," Sam smiled again. "I feel strange...was I under hypnosis or something ?"

"I can see you're a doc...yes, you were kinda ready to face your death, or so the guard said."

"To face my death...sounds sweet," Sam grinned.

You're the one that's sweet in here, Jack wanted to say but he didn't.

Suddenly Sam put her hand to her forehead.

"You okay ?" Jack asked.

"Yep, I just need to sit down for a minute," Sam replied. "If that's okay."

"Take your time," Jack grinned. He took his gun out, for he heard the running guards getting closer and closer.

After a few seconds the corridor was full of smoke and gunshot sounds. There were lots of guards attacking SG-1, but they had no weapons that could actually hurt SG-1. Jack, Daniel and Teal'c shot all the guards.

"Good work, guys," Jack said. He looked at Daniel.

"Danny, watch out !!!" Jack shouted as he saw one of the guards behind Daniel. Jack grabbed for his gun, but it wasn't where it should have been. The next thing Jack heard was a gun shot. The guard behind Daniel fell down. Jack turned around. Sam was standing there with Jack's gun, holding it in her both hands.

"Sorry I had to borrow this, sir," Sam smiled.

Jack took his gun back from Sam's hands and they started to walk down the corridor to exit the prison.

They found the exit of the prison easily. The door was locked, but Daniel said he could handle that. Jack went to help him. Teal'c was looking out of the window to find out if there were any guards outside. Jack saw a man coming out of the corner. It all seemed to happen very slowly, and still Jack wasn't fast enough to warn Sam. Jack recognized it was the jackal. Jack remembered with horror that the jackal had his gun. Jack hoped he didn't know how to use it.

"Sam ! Watch out !" Jack shouted and jumped infront of Sam as the jackal shot.

Sam stared how Jack fell down all in blood, unable to do anything. Sam heard how Teal'c killed the jackal. It gave Sam some kind of strenght and she ran to see if Jack's still alive.

Daniel was already sitting next to Jack.

"He's alive, but very weak," Sam said after she had checked Jack. "We have to take him to a hospital now or we'll lose him !"

The whole idea of losing Jack seemed unbelievable to Sam. She was always thinking of Jack as a part of her life. She could not even imagine what would her life be like without her Colonel. She needed Jack. She needed his jokes, his sarcasm, everything about him.

Teal'c shot the door open and they ran towards the stargate. Teal'c was carrying Jack, and Daniel was shoting the enemies on their way. Sam ran to dial the address home. She was just hoping it was not too late.

After few hours Jack was still unconscious. Dr Fraiser had checked him and she had said that he had very bad wounds but they could not lose hope. Sam knew what it meant. Jack was dying, and they could do nothing.

Sam was sitting on a side of Jack's bed in the infirmary. She was holding his hand, but she didn't say anything. Tears were running down her cheeks, her eyes were red of crying.

It was already late as Jack woke up. Sam hadn't slept or talked for all that time she sat next to Jack that day. She was just looking at him, remembering all the things they had been through together. All the thoughts leaded to one thought - how much she loved him, and did he love her. So as Jack woke up, Sam hugged him and started to ask him silly questions about how was he feeling.

"Hush..." Jack whispered.

Sam raised her head to face Jack.

"Sam, I want to tell you something before it's too late," Jack said in very weak voice. Sam felt tears running to her eyes again.

"Don't say so..." Sam begged.

"Sam, whatever happens, I will always love you," Jack whispered.

"Jack, you're gonna be okay ! You have to live, for me...You'll make it through..." Sam cried.

Jack took Sam's face in his hands and pushed her closer to himself. He kissed her. He felt the salt of her tears in his mouth, and it made him feel all the love she had for him. He pulled her away, and gave her his lattens. Sam squeezed them in her hand. She wished that it wouldn't have to happen. She saw from Jack's eyes that he was dying. His life was slowly leaving him, slowly but certainly. Sam saw the light of his eyes disappearing, she guessed he could not see her any longer. It hurt so much, but Sam could still feel him breathing. Weakly, but breathing. And then suddenly it was over. Jack was gone. Sam stared at him unwanting to believe her eyes. She knew it was going to happen someday. They had a dangerous job. But Sam never wanted to think that Jack would die. He was so strong, so sure about himself, and Sam loved him so much. Sam had hoped her love would keep him alive. She cried, holding his hand in her owns.

"I will love you forever," Sam whispered before Janet came to take her away from Jack.

General George Hammond was walking down the corridor as he heard someone crying. He looked at the room. Major Samantha Carter, was written on it. Hammond knocked and entered the room.

He saw Sam lying on her bed. She was crying, and she did not pay any attention on him. Hammond walked towards Sam's bed and took a seat on it.

"Major," he said softly.

Sam didn't even look at him. Hammond put his hand on her shoulder.

"You are doing the right thing. It's right to cry. I know it hurts."

Sam raised her head. She was feeling better because of Hammond's words. But not good enough to stop crying.

"Just cry. It'll help," Hammond said.

Sam followed his advice. She cried as she'd never cried before.

"Why ?" Sam asked hysterically. "Why ???!!!"

Sam kept asking the same question. She was thinking about Jack all the time. She hoped that he would be still alive. She wouldn't let anything happen to him. She just loved him too much. It felt like something inside her, a part of her, had died together with Jack.

"Jack just had bad luck," Hammond said. He couldn't say anything else, for he felt how his eyes filled with tears. He knew pretty well how Sam felt. And he knew that she needed to spend some time alone. So he left the room.

Bad luck !!!!!Sam was thinking. She could not understand. Everything seemed so good only a couple of days ago. But then she had travelled to P3X-149 without the rest of her team. She had found those two kids and rescued them. The people in the village said that Sam had broken the law of death. Sam thought that perhaps it was true. Perhaps Sam had to pay for that she broke that law. Perhaps that's why Jack had died. Suddenly Sam started to feel responsible for Jack's death. It made her cry even more.

After some time Sam heard the door of her room opening. She expected that someone would come to console her once again. As she heard nothing, she raised her head to look at the door.

Graham Simmons was standing there, sheepishly looking around the room. Sam tried to smile. She really liked Graham.

"Major," Graham said. "General Hammond asked me to ask you if you could come to the gateroom. There is something that might interest you."

"Yes, thank you," Sam said quietly. "I'll be there in a minute."

Sam went to brush her hair. She felt Graham looking at her before he left. Sam guessed that he was worried about her. Sam didn't believe her eyes as she looked in the mirror. She looked terrible. Her eyes were swelled and red of crying. Sam noticed that she had not even change the clothes after they arrived. She was still wearing the white tunic. She didn't even have shoes, and she hadn't notice it earlier.Damn, she was thinking,I can just guess what do all the guys think about this. Sam went to change her clothes. She didn't know what was there in the gateroom, but she didn't want to appear there dressed like that.

Finally Sam entered the gateroom. She saw Lya and two other nox in there. Sam gave them a smile. She was still feeling terrible, and she was just hoping that she wouldn't fell down, for she felt so weak. And so lost, so alone.

Sam didn't catch what did Lya tell her. Sam was so tired. She was just thinking about one of their missions together with Jack, as she felt everyone stareing at her.

"Beg pardon ?" Sam looked desperately around her. All the familiar faces suddenly seemed so strange. Sam understood she had just missed something very important.

"I just said that we might can help your friend," Lya said. "But we are not sure if it's going to work."

He's dead, Sam cried in her mind. She didn't understand how could they help Jack if he was dead. But then she remembered the ritual of life. She was suddenly so full of hope. She knew it was going to work. She was getting Jack back ! She was so happy, that she started to cry again. Sam felt a strong arms squeezing her shoulders that she wouldn't fall down. She felt safe and warm. She raised her head to face Graham. Sam gave him a little smile, as she looked in his eyes. They were so full of love.

Sam was sitting infront of the infirmary. She was waiting for Janet to tell her if Jack was going to be okay. The nox had done the ritual of life and left. There was nothing else what could they do.

Sam was in her own thoughts as she heard the infirmary's door opening. She stood up and saw Janet walking out of the infirmary.

"Jack is alive, Sam," Janet said, smiling. "He's very weak and he has to rest, but he's alive."

"Can I..." was all Sam managed to say.

"Even if I'd say no, you'd go anyway," Janet smiled. "Go, but don't disturb him. And let me know when he wakes up."

Sam opened infirmary's door slowly and quietly. She was getting the love of her life back, and she wanted to enjoy the moment as long as possible. She closed the door and walked slowly towards the bed where Jack was lying. She wished that she could be a bit faster, but she could not. She had not slept for two days, and she felt very weak.

Sam sat down on a chair next to Jack's bed. She started to cry again.

"Jack, you don't know how much I love you," Sam whispered and kissed Jack's hand.

"Jack, when you died...god, I thought...oh god !" Sam was too weak to speak. She closed her eyes and cried, holding Jack's hand.

As Jack woke up, the first thing he saw was Sam. Her face, swelled of crying, was the most beautiful thing he could imagine.

He felt her lips on his own, and he understood that life is worth it if he can be with Sam. If he can see her every day. Talk to her and love her. And know that she loves him too.

Epilogue:

One week later Jack and Sam were walking in a park. They didn't have any missions that day, so they went to take a walk. It was really nice weather outside. The sun was shining, but it was not too hot. Sam was eating ice cream. Jack looked at Sam.

"Do ya think Hammond knew what he was doin' when he gave us a regs-free afternoon ?" Jack asked and grinned.

Sam looked at him with wide eyes and smiled.

"I think he knew we are not gonna do anything stupid."

"And we are not, are we ?" Jack asked.

Sam didn't answer. She just kept smiling. She loved Jack so much. And she knew he loved her too. There was nothing else she wanted to know.

Jack put his arm around Sam's shoulders as they walked away.

The end.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JenniandAnna.