Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

When the Heart Aches

by Traci
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When The Heart Aches

When The Heart Aches

by Traci

Title:When The Heart Aches
Author:Traci
Email: traci_ann@yahoo.com
Status: Complete
Category: S/J Post Episode
Spoilers: Season 4 - Divide and Conquer/Tangent
Sequel/Season Info: None
Rating: PG
Content Warning: None
Summary:
Disclaimer:Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.

After having been rescued from certain death in space, Teal'c and Jack ate while Jacob went about getting them warm clothes.

Sam, meanwhile, had disappeared from the group. The last twenty-four hours had taken their toll on her both physically and emotionally. She managed to find a quiet room and curled up in a corner and cried. She had nearly lost him again. Mentally she was cursing the regulations that kept her and Jack apart. She heard in his voice through the transmitions there was more he wanted to say just as she knew her transmitions sounded the same. What if he had died? What if she had never had a chance to really tell him how she felt? She just continued to cry until sleep overtook her.

Jack looked up from his plate as Jacob came in. "Where's Sam?"

Jacob shrugged. "I thought she was here."

"She's probably catching a nap," Daniel offered. "She's been runnning on empty for at least twelve hours."

O'Neill nodded then excused himself. He had to find her. They hadn't been able to say anything when he and Teal'c had been brought aboard, but he could see the pain and relief in her eyes.

After looking in just about every area he could find, Jack found Sam asleep on the floor. Quietly, he knelt beside her.

"Sam?"

She stirred slightly but didn't wake.

"Sam."

Mumbling, she slowly opened her swollen, red eyes. "What?" She sat up when she recognized who it was. "Sir, I..."

Jack smiled. "Sam, it's okay." He sat beside her on the floor. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine, Sir. Really. I must have just lost track and..."

Jack slid an arm around her shoulder and pulled her close. "Daniel told me you haven't slept since we got lost."

She had no reply.

He turned to face her. "Sam, I know what the regs say... I know what we agreed to about... well, us. I also want you to know that it was killing me not being able to tell you what I wanted to."

Tears began to fall from her eyes. "Me too."

"We'll find a way to make this work someday, but until then, know this... you are one of the most special people in my life. I... if anything ever does happen to me... there's a letter for you in my desk drawer at my place."

"Jack, don't..."

He smiled. "I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon, but... I just wanted you to know it was there."

Sam nodded. "Truth be know, I have one for you at my apartment too." She paused. "I was so scared I had lost you this time. And I couldn't tell you how much you meant to me..."

Jack pulled her to him. "I knew."

She snuggled close to him, resting her head on his shoulder. "When did things get so complicated?"

"When I fell for a stubborn, intelligent scientist," he laughed.

"Mm, same here. Well, except for the intelligent scientist part," she giggled.

They fell silent.

"Sam, we will find a way. I promise you."

"I believe you."

"I also promise, there will never be anyone else for me. No more parallel you's..."

"No more strange women you get stranded with on other planets?"

Jack kissed her hair softly. "I really didn't know if you would ever be able to find me again. I was so deep in self pity... Not a day went by when I didn't think of you."

"It's all in the past," she whispered.

Hearing the strain in her voice, Jack continued. "I'm sorry. I am so sorry I hurt you so badly. If I had known how you... there are no excuses. I'm sorry."

Sam tightened her hold around his waist. "I know."

"There you two are."

Both jumped like two teenagers caught by their parents. Both smiled when they looked up and saw Jacob Carter staring down at them with a huge grin on his face.

"Well, it's about time."

Sam jumped up. "Dad, it's... I... um..."

Jack stood behind her. "I found her."

"I'd say you did." Jacob looked at his daughter. "Sam, you're not a kid anymore. Whatever you two decide to do is fine with me."

Sam felt her face burn with embarrassment. She passed a quick glance at Jack before looking down.

"I came to tell you that you should be able to return home in a couple hours. Teal'c and Daniel are resting right now."

Jack nodded and looked at Sam. "Which is what I think you should be doing too."

Sam merely nodded, silently praying this moment would end soon!

"I'll be at the controls if anyone needs me," Jacob said, again smiling. "You did good, Sam."

She looked up at him and smiled. "Thanks, Dad."

With that, he turned and left them alone once again.

"Why, Samantha Carter, if I didn't know better I'd swear you were rather embarrassed."

She swatted at his arm. "Well you didn't help matters!"

"I'm sorry," he laughed. "Your dad's right. You really should get some sleep... some real sleep. I'll wake you when we get closer."

Yawning, she agreed.

Jack walked over to her and drew her into another embrace. "Thanks again for the rescue."

"Anytime. Just don't make it a habit."

"I don't know, it might be worth it if it gets you in my arms."

Sam shook her head. "I am going to bed now. Do you think you can stay out of trouble for about two hours at least?"

He pulled away. "Yeah, I'll try." Without thinking, he leaned down and gave her a light kiss on the lips. "Pleasant dreams," he whispered.

"I'll try," she smiled then disappeared into a nearby room.

Jack stood watching the closed door for a few more moments before going to join Jacob.

He collapsed in the chair recently occupied by Sam. Jacob glanced over.

"I'm assuming you both remember the regulations about this sort of thing."

O'Neill looked at him. "Yeah, why do you think this is so hard for both of us?" He stared out at space then took a deep breath. "Jacob, I know Sam's your daughter, but friend to friend... what would you do? Or what would you have done?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I was so focused on my career that I never gave much thought to feelings. It cost me a lot too."

Jack remained silent.

"Jack, you have to remember what you do is extremely important. The Stargate program wouldn't exsist if not for you and Daniel. Sometime... sometimes there are some things more important than happiness." He paused. "And sometimes, there's nothing more important. I meant what I said earlier, whatever you both decide, I'll be behind it one hundred percent."

"Thanks, Jacob. That means a lot."

"Oh, and one more thing. As Sam's father... I've never seen anyone make Sam as happy as she is when she's around you. Take care of her."

Jack smiled. "You know I will... always." With that, he laid his head back and fell asleep.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Traci