Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

All the fun of the fair

by Tanwen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All the fun of the fair

All the fun of the fair

by Tanwen

Summary: When Jack takes his niece to the fair, who would the happen to meet.
Category: Angst, Romance, Series
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 05/12/03

All the Fun of the fair

"Uncle Jack!"
What was this girl on?
"Uncle JACK! Come ON!"
Jack sat down on the edge of the carnival ride exhausted. There must defiantly be something in the water in England. Despite all his army training his 16yr old niece had him beat. Admittedly she was hyped up on sugar and caffeine and had the exuberance of a 5yr old, but still... He was beginning to see why his sister had sent her over for the month.

"Oh, you are such an old man! I thought you were supposed to be some big air force cornel or something. You're such a wimp I had to talk you into bringing me and I've only got another week!"

"I just...need...a little...rest, that's all" He gasped for breath as she shook her head and walked off to have a go on another one of the stall games. She was extremely clever and mature...most of the time, when she was studying Advanced Mathematics on the couch he thought that that's what his 2CI must have looked like when she was younger, GOD DAMMIT! Could he not go for one night without thinking of her! You would have thought a month out would have made you stop thinking of her but, no. Mind you, it wasn't easy with Miss Jennifer 'blond hair-blue eyes-physics nut-I look just like the woman my uncle's in love with' Phillips-O'Neill bounding round the house. "UNCLE JACK! MOVE! ARSE! NOW!"

'Why did I chose to come to the fair' Sam thought through her monumental boredom. 'You're one of the worlds top astrophysicists. You're supposed to be mature, adult, serious, interesting, not hanging about at a carnival with the most boring guy you have ever been out with'

"...And so, I believe that the East Peruvians plight was caused by the under-funding of the education and social systems..." She was walking along side the man she'd met somehow and had been going out with since the Colonel had taken a month leave to deal with 'family matters', with a stuffed toy in one hand and an ice-cream in the other. She didn't know why she was still seeing him, she'd never met a more boring man before, he wasn't that good looking and he wasn't rich. Guess it must be the appeal of just having someone there, it had been years since she'd had anything like a boyfriend, but AHHHHHHHHH! Was he still going on about those bloody Peruvians! She looked at her watch; 9:30 was that it? Felt like they'd been about for ages. She'd been really bored these past 3 weeks, since General Hammond had given all of SG-1 to recover from their final showdown with Anubis and Jack's requested month off; Janet had forbidden her to return to the SG-C, Teal'c and Daniel were off doing their own thing somewhere in the galaxy, Jonas was going for a ride round the country on the motorcycle they'd given him for their first anniversary, and Jack...well he was the cause of their month leave with his mysterious 'family matters'. She'd contemplated phoning him to see if he needed a fishing partner before realising what it would mean and hastily hanging up. God she missed him. He could always make her laugh; make her smile the smile she felt crossing her lips now as she remembered him. He was so much more interesting than...than... what was his name...Brian! That was it. 'Oh get a grip Sam, you've been going out with him for three weeks. Remember his name! Or do the decent thing...' she knew she couldn't string him along anymore. She noticed that they were in a back part of the fair, where the games and rides all had their backs to each other, and turned to him

"Brian, I need to talk to you." You remembered his name, good!

"Yes Samantha" For Christ's sake it's Sam. S A M, Sam.

"Look, I think you're a very nice guy, but you see the thing is..." reason, reason, reason! You didn't think of a reason "...I'm...I'm...in love with someone else." Better than 'you are an insufferable mind numbingly boring man, and essentially true, though she'd never admit it. "I'm sorry"

"Oh. I see. Okay then." He said quietly and walked off a couple of steps before turning on his heel back to her "You know what Sam that's just fine, didn't feel like telling me this a few weeks ago, that's just peachy. Don't worry, I'm just fine. That's okay; I hope you're happy with this someone else. I really do." And with that he turned and left. She sighed

"I'm a bitch"

"Uncle Jack, you want to go on the tea cups, I know you do!"

"No, uncle Jack does not!"
She let out an annoyed grunt and walked off for a bit, before hopping up and down on the spot. Jack looked up at her and shook his head, she was not going to leave him alone until she got hat she wanted, then she'd want something else.
"Okay Jen, but then I am going to go lie down somewhere!" His niece jumped up and down and ran forward. Over the past three weeks he'd missed the SG-C and his friends, some more than others, but Jen had made it a bit hard to feel lonely when she was always there and always loud, not that he minded. One thing her presence had done was remind him how much he missed Charlie and the person he'd never become. He'd forget sometimes and that would be nice, but then something would remind him and the pain would all come back ten times worse. Jen had been therapeutic for him in her own way, he'd come to terms with it now, and the even more hurtful truth that he never would be able to replace him, not that he ever could. He would never get married again or have anything like that, sure there was one person that he might, but that would never happen. He looked up to see Jen standing in queue frantically motioning to him, but who was that walking past...
"Carter?"
She looked up as she heard her name. What was the Colonel doing here? What must she look like, moping round at a fair with a stuffed toy in her hand...alone?
"Oh, um hey Sir. What are you doing here?"

"Might ask you the same question."
"UNCLE JACK! Stop chatting up women and get in this queue!" Sam swivelled round to see the girl who had just screamed at her CO. Niece, she'd always thought that Jack was an only child, not that she's ever asked.

"So, is this your family matter?"
"Just get in the goddamn line with me Major" She felt herself being pushed into the line before she could respond and a smile began to return to her features.
"Oh, hello random woman, oh no you're not are you! I've seen your photo somewhere at Uncy Jack's. The physics nut one. What was the name...S or C something possibly both. Car...Cart...CARTER! That was it. Samantha Carter, see I do listen. OHHH! I have a question. Do you know who my uncle's in love with?"
"JENNY! For the last time I am not in love with anyone! How many time do I need to tell you?"
Jack hoped his quick reactions would cover up his lie and the fact that the object of his affection was close enough to...whoa! Stop right there!

"Excuse me!"
Sam's surprise was covered up by what sounded like a very fake laugh in her head. Good, she hadn't realised, Jack breathed an inaudible sigh of relief.

"Well, you see my uncle is obviously in love with someone, because he obviously misses them, but he's too goddamn stubborn to admit it, aren't I right?"
"About the stubborn thing, yeah. The in love thing, no idea, sorry about that."
Genuine amusement was beginning to come through in her voice. She was beginning to fall under Jen's spell.

"Huh. Dang. Never mind, I'll get it out of him yet. I'm Jen by the way, but call me whatever you like, just let me know so I don't get confused. Ohh, time to go on!"
She darted off and grabbed them their seats. That was one very strange, but incredibly charming girl.

"I feel sick!"
"Was fun though!"
They were lying on the grass in a quiet part away from the noise, recovering from being spun by the over enthusiastic English girl.

"What are you doing here anyway Carter?"

"Dumping my boyfriend of three weeks!"
"I see"
"Where's Jen gone?"
"I don't know, I think she's talking to one of the carnies. She makes friend's very quick, you know"
"I can see why, she's very...different."

"Think that's the nicest way anyone's ever put it."

"Very energetic too."
"Hmm. She keeps the house alive mind you. I'll be sorry to see her go, though."
"Why she here anyway?"
"My sis and her husband are travelling for a month, and she always wanted to go to America so, two birds one stone, you can do the math" Sam chuckled to herself, she'd never talked like this to the Colonel before, and she loved it.
"You could have just told us that you were taking care of your niece. We would've come over sometime to keep you company"

"Don't worry about me, Jen was more than enough company." He sat up now he'd recovered a bit, looking at Sam as she sat up, and flicked her lengthening fringe out her eyes. She really was beautiful. He wished he could tell her that Jen's suspicions were true, and aimed at her. Wished he could take her in her arms and do all kinds of forbidden things to her. He wished unknowing that she wished the same.

"So, come on you can tell me. Who is she?"

"Who's what...CARTER!"
"Sorry, she just seems so convinced!"
'Please don't let it be true. Please don't let it be true.'

"Well, she's not"
Sam looked up at the stars and collapsed back down on the grass and stared at them.
"Sir, how many of those do you recon we've been to?"

"Too many."
She heard the serious, sad tone in his voice. She propped herself up on her elbows.
"Sir?"
He looked away and got up. She followed soon after.

"Sir? Colonel?" she paused "Jack?"
"I'm... retiring"
It had worked but the answer was NOT what she wanted to hear. Where had this come from? Why was he leaving his job...his career? His friend's? ...Her?

"Why?" it was all she could manage
"I just can't do it anymore"
"Do what?"
"Oh, everything. Ever since we got rid of Anubis it's been so boring, and I'm not a young anymore..."
'Really...I hadn't noticed'
"... I'm just too old for this gig you know. I only really noticed when Jen came. She's so full of life and energetic. She's right, I am an old man. I just, need to drop out. If I get bored, I can always come back" Sam felt like her heart had been ripped in two. She stood for a while, unable to look at him she turned away as tears filled her eyes. He'd hurt her, he knew it would, in a weird way he'd hoped it would. It showed she still cared.
"Look, I'll still come visit. And there's always those barbeques we always have."
"But... but... you can't go!"
She turned, her eyes brimming with tears as she le her feelings go. Jack didn't think, he hated to see her hurt this much, he just took her in his arms and comforted her.
"Hey, it'll be okay. Just because I'm not your CO doesn't mean I'm not your friend"
'or something more...'
'Why can't you be more!'
They stood there for a minuet, comfortable in each other's arms until Sam had recovered and took a step back.

"Don't know what came over me. I must still be emotional from dumping... umm...Brian"
"Who's Brian?"
"The most boring man in the history of the entire universe."

"I think I just met him"
Jen was back, her voice broke through the quiet with its cheery youthfulness. Sam was thankful for the dark that hid her blotchy face, Jack wondered how long Jen had been waiting in the wings.

"Talking about Peruvians and the super bitch from hell (I think that's you) who dumped him with the 'I'm in love with someone else excuse"

"That would be me"
"True or untrue?" Jack asked to his own surprise.

"That'll be my little secret won't it! I better be getting home, Janet's letting me work tomorrow. Bye,...sir"
"Bye Major."
"Goodbye, Miss Carter, may the fortunes favour you well" Her ridiculous voice and extravagant bow brought a shaky smile back to Sam's lips as she walked away. She worked her way back to her car and got inside, looking at herself in the mirror. Misery still showed in her eyes. 'Why didn't you tell him? He's leaving now, you can be with him, but you saw how much he denied he was in love with anyone.' She banged her head against her steering wheel

"I am such an idiot"

"She was nice."
"Carter, yeah" he smiled in the dark
"Why don't you call her Sam? Why is it always Carter or Major or Whatever?"
"Protocol. I'm supposed to"
"Oh...of course. She seemed upset."
"I told her I'm retiring. She got upset, we work well as a team."

"Oh really, is that all. I believe that I've found your woman!" Jack just frowned sideways at her, masking his true feeling with practised ease.
"Hmm...well...want to go on the ferris wheel?" "JEN!"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tanwen