Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mush, Movies and Mud

by Talshiar TokRa
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mush, Movies and Mud

Mush, Movies and Mud

by Talshiar Tok'Ra

TITLE: Mush, Movies and Mud
AUTHOR: Talshiar Tok'Ra
EMAIL: tokra_of_the_talshiar@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Daniel/Janet, Humor
SPOILERS: vague reference to Divide and Conquer
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Daniel/Janet romance. That's about it.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, Gekko Productions, and no doubt 300 000 other companies. So they're not mine. I don't get money for this, just the satisfaction that i can do whatever the hell I want with these characters and NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!! So there.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This piece of fanfic exists for those who are fed up with Sam/Jack and Sam/Other stories. Don't just sit there and take them anymore! Write Daniel/Janet! (man i need a life)

"That's all Daniel. Just try and watch where you're going next time." Janet advised. Daniel felt his face warming a little.

"I was. It wasn't my fault this time." He protested. She read the mission report out loud to him, displaying the hint of smile that couldn't be kept in.

"Injuries to SGC personnel: Doctor Daniel Jackson. Slipped and fell in the mud."

"That's Jack's version. It was raining and I walked through a puddle. How was I supposed to know it was waist deep?" he defended himself. The smile grew a little wider.

"Not my problem. My problem is your sprained ankle. Just keep off it for a few days will you?" she said. Daniel's heart sank.

"But we've got a mission scheduled for tomorrow."

"Yes, the Colonel told me. Standard recon and mineral survey. Very little need for an archaeologist. Colonel O'Neill said there were no rocks..."

"Artifacts."

"Anywhere in the area." She finished. "Take it easy for a few days. Go home, water your plants, catch a movie. Just don't go through the gate, and stay out of my Infirmary." She gave him a mock-warning glance. Daniel gave up and sighed. He did tend to spend most of his spare time in that room. Aside from his team, Janet was the person he saw the most often on the planet. It was a shame much of that time was spent with him in surgery and her in a lab coat.

"Okay." Home seemed like a good place to be. To the relief of Greenpeace, he had no plants to neglect. Maybe he should get one, cheer the place up a bit. A cactus should do just fine...

"Hey Daniel." Sam greeted him as she walked into the room. "How's it feeling."

"Just fine thankyou." He blushed, remembering how she and Teal'c had hauled him out of his puddle. "It's just a twisted ankle."

"Okay. Thought you'd like to know the Colonel got a Polaroid." She told him. He froze.

"He didn't."

"It's on the notice board in the commissary." She looked apologetic.

"How bad could it be?" Janet asked curiously.

"Remember the one Siler posted of Simmons covered in that blue stuff from that rock that blew up?"

"Artifact." Daniel said absently. It seemed that some ancient cultures enjoyed practical jokes involving blue dye...

"That bad?"

"Multiply it by ten and add a pair of glasses." Sam quipped. Daniel glared at her.

"Thanks Sam."

"No problem. Are we still on for tonight Janet?"

"Yeah, sure. I've got Cassie a sitter."

"Whatcha doing?" Daniel asked, feeling left out of the conversation.

"Pizza and a movie. Wanna come?" Janet offered.

"Thanks, but I don't wanna intrude. Besides, I've got paperwork to do." He excused himself. Sam shrugged, not exactly devastated. He picked up his jacket and began to limp out of the room.

"Call if you change your mind." The Doc called after him.

"Thanks. See you later."

"What do you want to see?" Sam asked. Janet brought her mind back to Planet Earth.

"Hmm? Oh...What's on?"

"The Sixth Sense is supposed to be good."

"Good. More weird stuff in our lives." Janet commented. Why didn't Daniel want to go with them? Sam laughed, oblivious to her wonderings.

"Yeah, but at least this time you don't have to treat the kid. I don't envy you your job."

"The feeling's mutual." Janet raised an eyebrow. Getting kidnapped, beaten up, taken as a host and shot at was a less than appealing job description. Although, sometimes sitting around waiting for her friends to come home from whatever they'd gotten themselves into every mission was not a lot better. She was sure she'd spotted a couple of grey hairs on her head last week. She looked enviously at her younger friend. Despite all the horrors she'd had to endure, she truly loved her work.

"Okay, Sixth Sense it is then. I'll pick you up at seven?" Carter asked. Janet nodded.

"Sure."

Janet was just about ready when she got the phone call.

"Hey Janet. I'm real sorry but I can't make it. General Hammond just asked if I'd come and take a look at something."

"No problem." Janet replied sadly.

"Thanks. See you later."

"Bye." She hung up. Well, that evening went straight out the window. Suddenly an idea occurred to her. She dialed the phone.

"Look Jack. I don't want to go to a hockey game. Why don't you ask Teal'c? I'm sure he wouldn't slip on a fallen hot dog." Daniel snapped. What the...

"Daniel? It's me. Frasier."

"Doc? Oh, um...hi. What's wrong?" he asked, concerned. Typical, she thought wryly. They only seemed to talk when he was sick or dying.

"Nothing's wrong. I was wondering if you're free tonight and..." May as well tell the truth. "Sam cancelled and I wondered if you'd be the backup plan?" There was no point trying to dress it up nicely. And she hadasked him before.

"Yeah, sure. Sam's not going?" he asked.

"Work." She replied. They weren't supposed to discuss the gate over the phone, so she made it brief.

"Oh. No problem. Pick you up in half an hour?" he asked. It was 7:30.

"Perfect. I'll see you then." He hung up. Janet set the phone down and looked in the mirror. Hmm. She decided going out with Daniel required more than jeans and a half-decent shirt...

"Whoa Mom!" Cassie entered the room unannounced and flopped down onto Janet's bed. "I thought you were going out with Sam." Janet peered in the mirror anxiously.

"Too much?" she asked. Just then the doorbell rang.

"Coming!" Cassie shouted in the typical teenage style, before thundering down the stairs. The door opened.

"Hey Cassie." Daniel's voice could be heard.

"Wow Sam. Love what you did with your hair." Her daughter said. He laughed.

"Thanks, I think. Is your mother around?"

"Yeah, she should be down some time next spring. Have a seat." She told him, before thundering back up the stairs. She shut the door behind her. "Daniel?" she raised an eyebrow. Damn Teal'c!

"It's not what you think." Janet sighed, adjusting her necklace. Cassie took pity on her and helped her fix it.

"Right. Then you would have worn heels and a push-up bra to go out with Sam too?" she retorted. Janet was startled. She was becoming a lot more argumentative as she got older.

"Cassandra..." she warned in her best 'drop it or you're grounded' tone. Cassie finished with the clasp and gave her a quick, unexpected hug.

"Have fun Mom." She paused before exiting the room. "I suppose he is pretty cute. For an old guy."

"Cassie!"

Daniel heard some muffled arguing coming from upstairs, and then Janet came half-running down them, followed closely by Cassie.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." She apologised. Daniel stood there like he'd been shot with a zat-gun. He'd always thought the Doc was attractive but...wow!

"No problem at all...you look great." He said, truthfully but not wanting to sound too sappy. She wore the traditional little black dress, which covered much less than military fatigues, and had left her hair down for a change. She looked...great.

"Thankyou." Did her face just go a little pinker? Wishful thinking, Dannyboy."Hey, do you mind if we drop Cassie off at her friend's place on the way?" she asked. At that moment she could have asked to drop by Chulak on the way and he would have done it.

"Sure. After you, ladies." Cassie grabbed her bags and was closely followed by her step-mom and then Daniel. Janet locked up the house and they all got into the car.

They decided to go see the movie first. He got the tickets, she got the food. Coke and popcorn to share. He didn't much like popcorn, but no movie experience was complete without it. As for the coke...it was the next best source of caffeine to coffee. They sat in a relatively good position. Daniel offered to swap seats with Janet when someone close to Jack's height decided to sit in front of her. He suggested they should reserve seating areas for the 'vertically challenged' people such as herself. She'd given him a semi-dirty look and said:

"Is that next to your area, Four-Eyes?" the slight twinkle in her eyes took the sting out of the comment and he laughed, conceding that she'd won this round.

The movie wasn't too bad. The critics had apparently been right about this one. He ate a handful of over-salted popcorn, drank a bit of coke to get rid of the taste, and about half way through had summoned up the courage to put his arm around his...date? He'd been pleasantly surprised when she looked up at him, smiled and then moved a little closer.

Dinner went well too. The restaurant was great (he made a mental note to go back there one day), and Janet was a lot of fun. They'd talked about the movie, Cassie's junior high adventures, and work (cautiously of course).

They both stopped after the first glass of wine. Something else they had in common: Allergies. They sat talking long after they finished eating. Daniel noticed but ignored the look the waiter was giving them.

"Cassie wants to join the Air Force when she finishes school." Janet said. "I told her I'm sure she could get into the program as a civilian if she wanted to. Thanks to Sam's tutoring she'll be the base's next astrophysicist."

"But then who'll be the archaeologist?" Daniel asked.

"Sorry Daniel. She's already technobabbling beyond my comprehension. Maybe the next stray child we find you can keep." She laughed. He grinned and shook his head.

"Right. Could you imagine me with a kid? I can barely remember to feed myself most of the time."

"Well, it would be brought up on a diet of pure caffeine." She agreed.

"Better than my cooking." His experience as a chef began and ended with Instant Chicken Noodle.

"Right." She didn't disagree. Sam had probably told her about the time SG1 had come to his place for dinner. It was going to be Spaghetti Night. It turned into Chinese Takeout Night. She looked around and spotted the glowering waiter. "Do you think we'd better get going?" she asked. Daniel looked at his watch. Yikes! It was midnight.

"Yeah, probably. If I didn't know better I'd think that guy's eyes were going to light up." He joked, signaling for the cheque. He refused to let Janet pay for half but let her drive. The wine had gone to his head just a little and the best way to ruin an evening was to end up a semi-organic pancake melded to a light post.

He walked her to the door. She unlocked it and paused.

"Want to come in for coffee?" she offered a little shyly. He was startled. Should he? Were they on a date, or just two friends going out? If they were on a date...well it was their first after all! But then they'd known each other for four years. Or was coffee just coffee in this instance. Should he have asked her to his place? Oh boy.

"Um...uh I..." he stammered. Make a decision boy!He thought furiously. Suddenly she pulled him down to her height in a surprisingly strong grip and pressed her lips to his. Okay, decision made.He kissed her back gently, then a little harder. This felt so right! After a long moment of dizziness and weak knees he was brought back to reality when she made a tiny noise in the back of her throat. She had her arms around his neck and he had her pressed up against the door. He broke away, surprised at where events had brought him. Had he gone too far? Was she upset with him? Janet stood, breathing a little faster and looking just as surprised as he felt. A moment later she broke the semi-awkward silence.

"So...coffee?" she repeated wryly. Now he was clear on what coffee involved, he was just about to come out with a terribly decisive 'Um, you know I think I will' when a loud "beep beep beep" could be heard. She hurriedly opened her purse and checked her pager.

"Medical emergency. I've got to go..." Suddenly she was Doctor Frasier again. Daniel tried to run but ended up limping to the car. What could have happened? There were no missions scheduled for tonight. Daniel sat in the drivers' seat and Janet got in after him. She gave him a small apologetic look. He grinned shyly in response before speeding off.

"So what have our people gotten up to this time?" he wondered out loud.

Janet fidgeted nervously in the car. Daniel was already going 10mph over the limit but it still wasn't fast enough. What could have happened? There were no teams offworld. A thought occurred to her...what had Sam been working on?

"Can we go any faster?" Janet asked. Daniel kept his eyes on the road.

"We're already..." as if on cue, a police siren could be heard. "Oh sh...darn." He pulled over. The cop pulled up behind them and casually sauntered over to them and asked for Daniel's license.

"Here." Daniel handed it to him, looking irritated. This was apparently a new experience for him. Well, it was taking far too long.

"Officer could we hurry it up a little? This is an emergency situation." Janet snapped at him. She knew how to snap. She was a Captain and a Doctor, after all. He gave her a deadpan look.

"Why, is he in labour or something?" he asked her sarcastically. She produced her ID.

"I'm Captain Janet Frasier of the US Air Force and this is an emergency. Give him the damn ticket and let us go." She stared him down. He abruptly withdrew.

"Uh, don't worry about the ticket. Just try and slow down huh? We don't give out tickets for fun you know." He left them alone. Daniel gave her a grateful look and started up the car again.

"Thanks. What is it about government training that turns people into wise-asses?" he asked. He paused. "Present company excepted of course." He said hastily. Janet shook her head.

"Ask the colonel." She suggested, fidgeting again. She tried to calm down. There were other doctors on the base, surely they could take care of things until she got there...

After leaving Daniel behind in the elevator she half-ran to the Infirmary. She stopped dead in the doorway.

"What the hell is going on in here?" she demanded, dismayed. Sam, Teal'c and three other officers lay in beds unconscious."Doctor Frasier. There was an accident in the Gate Room. They were caught in some kind of explosion." One of her nurses informed her, doing a double take. It wasn't every day she turned up to work dressed like that.

"Where's Doctor Warner and the others?" she shouted angrily, checking on each of her patients. They didn't seem to be in critical danger.

"Offworld. SG8 and 12 needed their help in a rescue effort. There was a minor earthquake on P7..."

"Got it." Janet snapped. She had to have a word with the General about this lack of med staff on base, but for now she had a job to do.

"They're all suffering from burns, Lieutenant Watson is the worst off, but I can't diagnose him..."

"Right." Janet ran quickly away to get changed and scrubbed. "I'll be right there."

Jack entered the commissary, not in the best of moods. His 2IC had just been injured while checking some...thing on the gate when a moron with the brain of an asparagus had opened a wormhole. Since the gate was already locked onto P7X514 there was about two seconds warning before the wormhole opened. And the power capacitor that Carter had been working on blew up in hers, Teal'c's and three other guys' faces! Although, it was someone in the control room who had her working on the gate at the time and he would definitely get a good dressing down...

Jack stopped mid-rant, surprised to see Daniel sitting at a table alone in a corner with a cup of untouched coffee. He looked to see if his Polaroid was still up on the notice board...yes, Mud Man from Outer Space was still there. There had to be something wrong for Daniel not to have removed it by now...

"Hey Daniel, you heard the news?" he asked angrily as he sat down opposite his friend. Daniel looked up, startled.

"Jack! I didn't see you there. Yeah I heard. They're going to be okay though, right? No one can tell me anything."

"Old Doc Frasier says they're going to be fine. Concussion, some burns, that's about it. Watson's a little worse off but they'll all come through all right. Junior's taking care of Teal'c just fine." Daniel looked relieved.

"Good." He took a sip of his drink. Jack frowned.

"Didn't you go home this afternoon?" he asked.

"Yeah." Mr Informative right here...

"What happened?"

Daniel looked at him blankly. "I came back." Jack sighed. There was something else not quite right about him...

"What's with the threads?" he asked. "Most people don't dress up that much to come to the commissary for a midnight snack."

"I went out. What's with the questions?" he asked defensively.

"Just making conversation." Oh boy, he reallydidn't want to talk about this. So of course Jack pressed him. "Where'd you go?" Daniel gave him a mild glare but gave up.

"I was on a date. Happy?"

"You?" Now Jack was really surprised. Daniel going on a date...with someone who was born on his home planet? Still, it had to be good for him to get over Shau'ri and all.

"And afterwards you decided to make it a perfect night by drinking Air Force coffee." Jack finished. Man this guy was weird...

"No, actually I drove her here. She's having a look around the gate room. She wanted to know what I did." He said sarcastically. Jack had been spending way too much time with him. He was starting to lose the 'nice-guy' attitude everyone knew and loved. Daniel put his cup down and rested his head in his hands. "Sorry. Guess I'm a little tired. I was out with Janet, she got paged and I drove her here."

What?

"Run that by me again? Would that be Janet Frasier we're talking about here? Doctor Death?"

"Yeah." He said, a little challengingly. "We went out and we had a really good time. We're not under any regulations or stuff either because I'm a civilian." He sounded a little smug. Was that a jibe at him and Sam?

"You and the Doc, huh?" It made sense to him. A little. "So that's why you're in the Infirmary all the time. I knew no one could be that..." Daniel looked hurt. Okay, backpedal. Someone really could be that "...clumsy." He finished. "Sorry. It's late. Well Teal'c, Sam and the gang aren't supposed to wake up 'til morning. I'm going to get some sleep and I suggest you do the same. Night." He got up to walk away. Daniel looked back up at him.

"Night Jack."

Daniel sat for a few minutes longer, then got up and got rid of his lukewarm coffee. He'd just passed the door when he turned back to the notice board.

"Damn you Jack." He murmured, taking down the photo and shoving it in his pocket. He limped his way to his private quarters, feeling more at home in them than he did at his real home. He undid the top few buttons on his shirt and sat down at his desk. After too much wine, coffee and worrying about his teammates, he was too wired to sleep. He thought he'd work on translating instead. One of the teams had brought him back a rock...damn you Jack...artifactwith some kind of prayer for good weather inscribed on it. It was a long prayer, at least fifteen pages long. If he'd been the God in question, he would have granted the wish just to have the follower shut up...

But of course his mind wandered, eventually settling on Janet. He allowed himself a small smile. They'd had a good time with the promise of more good times to come. He sighed, musing on what might have happened if that beeper hadn't gone off.

Janet walked down the corridor to the elevator. It hadn't been a critical situation, and her patients were fine now. She couldn't wait to have a go at her superior officers about the lack of doctors in the facility. If they had their way the teams would be going through blasting the crap out of the Goa'uld while on life-support systems. All wanted to be offworld and no one in the Infirmary...makes one feel unwanted, she thought wryly.

"Hey Doc! How's my team?" her least favourite patient called from the other end of the corridor. She liked Colonel O'Neill, but he was (with respect of course) far more of a pain in the rear than any doctor should have to tolerate.

"They're fine, they'll be out of commission for a week or so." She replied.

"A week? Come on..." he began.

"No! Both Sam and Teal'c have concussions and Daniel's sprained his ankle yet again. You're lucky I don't make it two weeks." She knew how to deal with him better than with anyone.

"Speaking of Daniel, you might wanna visit him sometime soon. He was pining away in the commissary. It was really quite pathetic." He commented. How did he know...duh, Stupid! Still, the idea of Daniel pining away for her? She was quite touched. She didn't show it though.

"Are you going to sleep or do I have to schedule a full physical for all team leaders?" she snapped. He actually paled.

"No, I'm going. Night Doc." He said, before walking away. She could have sworn she heard him mutter the words "Sadistic...no respect...Doctor Death" as he went. She grinned and took the elevator up to the living quarters...where was Daniel's again?

She knocked. "Jack, go away." Daniel called. Janet laughed out loud, then the door was opened faster than she could say 'zat-gun'.

"Hi." He greeted.

"Hi." She mimicked. "Can I come in?"

"Hmm? Sure. I'll just..." He picked up a pile of books from a chair and dumped it on the floor. "Yeah. How are they?" he asked.

"You'll be able to see them tomorrow." She told him, sitting down. He sat on the edge of his desk.

"Good. When..."

"A week at least." She already knew the question. She had to keep him away from Jack more.

"Oh." He didn't sound as disappointed as she had expected. "Um, so what are you doing tomorrow night?" he asked.

"Not much. I was planning to go out with an archaeologist who rates as 'cute for an old guy' in my daughter's view." Daniel blushed slightly.

"Um...I'm glad to hear it." He seemed unable to find anything else to say. They shared a shy smile before he leaned in to kiss her again. Things progressed much as the last time until Daniel pulled away. He sat still for a second. "No beep beep beep?" he asked, flashing that adorable smile. She removed his glasses and kissed him deeply.

"Not this time, Mud Man."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Talshiar Tok'Ra