Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

There's Plenty More Fish In The Sea (But He Found His)

by Shauna
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
There's Plenty More Fish In The Sea (But He Found His)

There's Plenty More Fish In The Sea (But He Found His)

by Shauna

Title: There's Plenty More Fish In The Sea (But He Found His)
Author: Shauna
Email: shaunarafferty@hotmail.com
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Summary: Sam agrees to go fishing with Jack- AT LAST!!!
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Jack was on a mission but this wasn't for the Airforce, SG1 had just been given a weeks downtime and he was going to be damned if he was going to let her spend it in some lab doing boring work. He rounded the corner to see Sam hard at work on her naquada reactor,

`Here it goes' he thought as he found himself knocking on her door and entering the lab,

"Hey Carter."

"Hi Sir. How are you?"

"Not too bad. Just leaving actually"

"Well have a good time then."

"I will" at this point he almost chickened out but something in his gut told him he wouldn't get another chance to ask her,

" Say Carter, I don't suppose you want to come fishing with me." When Carter heard this she was surprised, the Colonel had already asked her twice before and she had refused on both occasions, even though she wanted more than anything to accept his offer.

" I don't know sir, I have a ton of work to do and only a few days to do it in."

"C'mon Carter, it'll be fun, you, me and a lake with no pesky fish in it."

` Was she considering this? Going on vacation with her CO, would it be that bad, just friends having a good time.'

"OK sir, you twisted my arm, I'll come," as soon as the words came out of her mouth she regretted them.

"Cool, well I'm leaving in the morning so I'll pick you up at about 7. Is that OK?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll see you then."

"OK, see you tomorrow"

"Bye sir" and with that Jack walked out and through the corridors of the SGC,

` she said yes' Jack thought `I'm going on vacation with my second in command.... she's not just your second-in-command she's also your friend. What's done is done just be with her, have a good time, AS FRIENDS.' Of course that's easier said than done.

Meanwhile, the same thoughts were going through Sam's mind as she wondered if she should cancel, but she didn't want to cancel. She wanted to go, so she would and that was that. She decided she wasn't going to get any work done so she tidied up her lab and went home.

The next morning came quickly, Jack walked up to Sam's door and knocked. Sam opened the door to see Jack in khaki trousers, a camel coloured shirt and a hat that had fishing tackle hooked on.

"Hey Carter, you ready?"

"Give me one minute. Come in" Jack walked in and closed the door, he watched as Sam disappeared into her bedroom. He began to wander around and look at photos. One on particular caught his attention, it was one of SG1 taken by Janet at O'Malley's, they were all smiling. Daniel and Teal'c were sitting beside each other and Jack and Sam were sitting together. Janet had told the two of them to squeeze together so they did. Sam was so close that he could smell her perfume. That was a good night.

"OK, I'm ready sir"

"OK but there is one rule"

"What's that?"

"You have to call me Jack"

"OK, but only if you call me Sam"

"Right, we are good to go then"

Sam grabbed her luggage, they loaded up his truck and they were on their way.

The journey was fun, they joked and laughed, sung to music and after three hours they pulled up outside his cabin.

"OK we're here" Jack said, they got out and stretched their legs. Sam admired the view, it was beautiful, the cabin was on the edge of the lake and there was nothing around but nature, no Goua'ld to fight, no work that needed done and no rules or regulations.

"So what do you think?"

"Jack, it's amazing"

"Yes it is" but Jack wasn't talking about the cabin.

"Shall we go inside?" Jack said

"Yeah" Sam said, she picked up her bags and followed Jack inside, it was just as nice inside as it was outside, in the living room there was a huge fireplace with a rug in front of it.

"OK, you can have the master bedroom and I'll have the other one."

"I don't want to put you out, if that is the room you want I'm fine with the other one."

"No really, it's fine. The room down the hall, the second door on the right, you go and unpack and I'll fix us some dinner."

"OK I'll be back in a minute."

The bedroom was huge, it had a double wardrobe, an en-suite and a huge king-size bed. "Wow" she said to herself. About 20 minutes later she came out of her bedroom and walked down the hall to the kitchen. She saw Jack sitting at the table waiting patiently for her. The dinner was already on the table as was two candles in the centre. Sam smiled at the sight in front of her, she felt safe and comfortable in this cabin with Jack. After they ate they moved to the sofa and just talked, not about anything in particular but they just talked and enjoyed each other's company. It was pretty late by the time they decided to go to bed, they locked up, shut off the lights and walked down the hall. Sam stopped outside her bedroom and so did Jack, they looked at each other,

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Jack"

"Goodnight Sam," he leaned in towards her and kissed her softly on the cheek. Sam opened her door, went inside and shut the door. Jack watched Sam close her door, walked over to his own and went inside.

Neither Jack nor Sam got much sleep that night. Each had too many thoughts going through their heads, `should I have invited her? I should have said no. Why did I kiss her? What am I going to do now? What if she finds out/ What if he find out?

The next morning Jack was up bright and early when he knocked on Sam's door, his response was a muffled
"Come in," as he entered he saw Sam sit up holding a sheet to her chest, she looked so small in that bed, Jack wanted nothing more than to join her.

"Breakfast will be about 15 minutes and then we have a whole day fishing ahead of us."

"OK, I'll be down in 10 minutes"

"OK, I'll leave you to get changed then" and with that he turned to go,

"Jack" Sam said, Jack turned back

"Yeah?"

"So we are actually going onto a lake?"

"Yeah, is that a problem?"

"No, not really, it's just I'm kind scared of the water."

"Really? I didn't know that, don't worry I won't let anything happen to you" he gave her a reassuring smile.

"OK, I'm sure it will be fine," Jack turned to walk out, suddenly he thought of something so he turned around,

"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"You do wash right?" he said joking

"JACK!!" Sam shouted, she grabbed a pillow and threw it at Jack, he caught it easily and gave her a cheeky smile.

"You are gonna pay for that" he ran and jumped onto the bed with the pillow. Sam dived under the covers in an attempt to hide from him, she emerged the other side, pillow in hand and lifted it over her head. Before she could hit him he grabbed her hands, Sam didn't even try to put up a fight, she just surrendered to him as he laid her on the bed. Jack had Sam's arms pinned above her head and was on top of her. He was so close to her he could feel her heart pounding and she could feel his. Their faces were mere inches from each other, both completely serious as their faces drew closer together, both ready for what was about to happen, Sam closed her eyes and then it happened....

BRR BRR, BRR BRR, the phone rang, Jack and Sam were taken out of their trance as Jack jumped off Sam to go and answer the phone. Sam lay there and eventually said

"Dammit!!" and punched the pillow.

Jack walked down the hall, into the living room and picked up the phone,

"Hello!" Jack said angrily

"Hi Jack. Is there something wrong?" Daniel said

"No Daniel. You just interrupted me" Sam came down the hall now wearing her dressing gown, Jack stood, mesmerised by Sam, the shape of her long legs showing through her the satin gown. Jack didn't even hear what Daniel was saying, he was hypnotised by the beauty in front of him.

"Jack? Jack are you still there?" Finally Jack heard what Daniel what saying,

"Yeah Daniel, I'm here"

"Is something wrong?"

"Nothing. What were you saying?"

"I was saying that Jacob sent us a message, he is coming to visit Sam in two weeks."

"You rang to tell Sam that her father is coming to visit in two weeks. And you couldn't have told her when we got back because?"

"Well I thought she'd like to know, something to look forward to."

"Daniel before I left do you remember me telling you that unless it was an emergency Sam and I were not to be disturbed"

"Ooooooh, it's Sam now is it?" Daniel said in a very curious voice. By this time Jack had had enough of listening or trying to listen to Daniel so he decided to stop the conversation,

"Goodbye Daniel" Jack said calmly before slamming down the phone. He looked at the phone for a minute before going into the kitchen where Sam was standing over the grill making bacon. She turned around to look at him and said,

"Who was that?"

"Daniel"

"What did he want?"

"Your father is coming to earth in a couple of weeks"

"Oh great. It's been ages since I've seen dad"

" Yeah" an awkward silence fell on them neither knowing what to say, finally Jack said

"Why don't you go and get dresses, I'll keep an eye on the food."

"OK, I'll be back in a few minutes" Sam replied.

....................................................................................................................................................

An hour later they were out on the lake in Jack's boat. Sam was still nervous but Jack had managed to calm her down a lot. They both knew there were no fish in the lake but it didn't matter, they were just enjoying the conversation.

"So why are you afraid of the water?"

"When I was 7 my brother and I went fishing on a lake like this one. Anyway Mark decided to play a joke on me. He started rocking the boat, I told him to stop but he did it more. After a few moments he rocked it so much that the boat tipped over and we both went into the water. At the time I couldn't swim, I was so scared, Mark saved me but I've been frightened of the water ever since.

"Oh, I understand now. I think I would be scared too."

"I'm mostly over it but now and again I get nervous about it."

"Well, I'll try and make you feel comfortable."

"You do" Sam said as she laid her hand on Jack's, Sam felt him squeeze back, they sat in the boat holding hands.

Hours went by and they had caught nothing, even Jack was starting to get bored. All of a sudden Jack felt something pull on his fishing line, Jack quickly sat up and took hold of the line. Sam sat up as well and leaned over the side of the boat to see what was pulling. Jack began to reel in the fishing line but it jammed, he pulled harder but it wouldn't budge, without warning the line snapped, Jack fell backwards and Sam with him. They both fell over the side and into the lake. As they went over Sam screamed. Jack was able to stay calm, but was worried that Sam wouldn't. As he began to search for her, he looked around to see Sam on the other side of the boat laughing uncontrollably at him. Jack decided to get his own back, he dived under the water and swam under the boat to where Sam was wading. By this time Sam had stopped laughing, her senses were on alert trying to find where Jack was. Suddenly she felt something tighten around her waist and pull her under. As she was pulled under she screamed, she knew it was Jack but she still fought him, as they came up for air, Sam was very aware of how close they were. Jack had his hands around Sam's waist holding her close. As with the bedroom incident, their faces were inches from each other. As they moves closer to each other, Sam began to shiver, Jack felt this and said

"Let's get you inside."

"OK" Jack helped Sam back to shore and back into the cabin.

As Sam had a shower, Jack got out of his wet clothes and into some dry ones. When he went back into the living room, he noticed it was quite cold so he started to make a fire. By the time Sam came down, the fire was roaring. Jack was sitting on the rug looking at Sam with a smile on his face, holding two glasses of wine. Sam smiled back, walked over and sat down beside him on the rug.

"Wine?" Jack said handing the glass to Sam

"Thank you" she said taking the wine from him and sipping it slowly. Like before Sam shivered as her hair was wet and causing her to get cold.

"Come here" Jack said in a soothing voice. Sam moved towards him and she sat between his legs, his. arms slid around her waist and held her. His head leaning on her shoulders as the fire warmed them up.

"You never answered my question" Jack said

"What question?"

"You do wash right?" as he said this Sam began to laugh and turned around to face him,

"Yes Jack I do wash." she said still smiling.

"God, I love that smile" Jack said to Sam, they both stopped smiling and the atmosphere became serious. The pair sat in front of the fire, silence fell on them as they gazed intensely, lovingly into each other's eyes, both wanting something to happen..... and then it did. Jack had enough of missing the chance, he had known enough losses in his life to know that this feeling doesn't come along very often so he acted on the feeling. He slowly moved his hand to her cheek and caressed it gently. As Sam began to respond to his touch, he moved her face closer to his while Sam tilted her head, brought it to Jack's and their lips met. All the sexual tension that had built up over their four years together was being released . Jack's senses were filling with thoughts of Sam, her touch, her smell, the whole sight of her made him realise how much he loved her. He lowered her to the floor and softly whispered,

"God, I love you Sam"

Sam couldn't reply, not because she didn't want to, God know she did but she was too filled with emotion that she just smiled at him. Jack understood what she was thinking and he kissed her with more passion than either thought possible.

As the fire grew more intense so did their passion, it was as if it was being fuelled by their love. Jack kissed and caressed her so gently and yet passionately as Sam screamed with suspense. She wanted him, he was torturing her, he knew he was but he wanted the moment to last, if time could stand still he wanted it to be now, be here with Sam. Sam gently kissed Jack's ears, eyes and nose, his whole face and neck apart from his lips. She wanted him to wait, she knew he wanted to kiss her but she wouldn't let him, not yet, not until Jack could stand it no longer, until he longed for her. Their bodies moved to the same rhythm, this was the feeling they'd both waited for as moans filled the room, their two bodies melting into one.

Jack woke up before Sam, propped up on his elbow he gazed lovingly onto Sam, examining every part of her perfect body. He could not believe what happened and the sheer pleasure he felt and knew Sam felt overwhelmed him. He was pleased he had showed her love he had for her, that they had for each other that was all that mattered. He placed his hand on her waist, pulled himself closer to her and dozed off.

A few minutes later Sam began to wake, she looked at Jack and realised how much she loved him. `It' had finally happened and it was more intense and passionate than she had ever imagined. She knew he loved her, she always had but last night she felt even closer to him than she'd ever felt before. He was so loving and gentle yet in control, she had never seen that side of him before but she knew she wanted to see more of it. She leaned over to Jack, gently kissed his ear and whispered softly,

"I love you too Jack," she kissed him again, lay back in the comfort of his arms and closed her eyes to dream of things to come. Jack opened his eyes and smiled, he had heard what Sam had said, the joy in his heart was indescribable, he never thought those three little words could fill him with so much joy. He had wanted to hear them for so long. He kissed Sam lightly on the cheek, gently sat up and got off the floor trying not to wake his sleeping beauty. He decided to get some fresh air, he walked to the patio door and went outside.
Sam had felt Jack get off the floor and wondered if he had heard what she had said, she hoped he had. She jumped off the floor, put on her dressing gown and walked outside to find him. The cool air was welcomed by Sam as she opened the door to see Jack standing looking up to the sky, she smiled to herself as she watched him. Jack could feel her gaze on him from behind, he turned around to see Sam with a beautiful smile on her face staring at him. The only thing he could do was smile back. As they smiled at each other, he walked over to where Sam was and drew her close with his hands resting on the small of her back. He leaned his head against hers and said,

"Good morning"

"Mmm morning" she replied and kissed him, as the kiss broke Jack said

"Want some breakfast?"

"Yes please" Jack took her hand and led her to the kitchen,

"You can help me"

"OK" Sam said still smiling.

They walked back into the kitchen hand in hand. They both stood at an open fridge trying to find something to eat. Sam bent over to see what was inside as Jack stood behind her with his hands resting on her hips. As she stood back up Jack saw milk and eggs in Sam's hands.

"So whatcha makin'?"

"What am I making? What makes you think I'm making breakfast."

"Well the fact that you are the woman." Jack said knowing it would annoy Sam.

"JACK!!" Sam said trying to be angry but she couldn't, she never could, not at him.

"Anyway you said you were making it" Sam said as she playfully slapped him on the chest.

"OK, I'll make it" he agreed, he put his arms around Sam, lifted her up and set her down on top of the counter where she stayed watching Jack cook. They decided, with the ingredients they had that they'd make pancakes. As Jack began to mix the ingredients together he thought of a devilish thing to do. He took the wooden spoon, put a scoop of the mixture on it and launched it at an unsuspecting Sam.

Sam was speechless, she turned to Jack, mouth wide open and a shocked expression on her face, Jack couldn't contain his laughter any longer and burst into fits at the sight of poor Sam, pancake mixture down the right of her face, dripping down her neck and chest. Sam pull herself off the counter and reached over to the bowl, she took a handful of the same mixture Jack had thrown at her, walked up to Jack who was still bent over laughing and slid her hand down his back.

Jack stopped laughing immediately, stood up and gave Sam a smile of disbelief, he knew she would have to get him back for what he had done, she was the not the type to back down. Jack grinned at her, picked up the bowl and tried to grab Sam. Sam squealed and ran around the house as Jack was throwing pancake mix everywhere, both laughing as she tripped over the rug and landed on the cushion on the floor. Jack sat on top of her, his hands ready to smother Sam with mixture, he looked at her, into her blue eyes and couldn't bring himself to do it.

Sam on the other hand was not about to give up, she made a movement with her one hand and placed it behind Jack's neck as if to lean in for a kiss. Jack closed his eyes as he tilted his head down towards her as Sam tipped the bowl all other Jack.

Jack gasped in shock and grabbed her hands before she could get away,

"There's no point wasting this lovely pancake mixture is there?" Jack said, he licked the mix off Sam's lips, face and neck before working his way down to her chest, until the mixture was gone from Sam's body.

They never did eat breakfast that morning, they didn't need to as they had gotten all they needed from each other. They lay on the rug, arms around each other, Sam laying on Jack's chest as he took in her sweet aroma. The past few days had been great, they had become better friends and now lovers. Life was perfect but tomorrow they had to go back to the SGC, back to the military and back to the regulations. Jack wondered what they would do once they got back, would they be Jack and Sam or would they be Colonel and Major? Would Sam want him once they got home or was it just a holiday fling? For him it wasn't, he loved Sam but did she love him? He could understand if she didn't, he was a sarcastic old air force Colonel and Sam was beautiful, smart, funny and had her whole life ahead of her, what could he offer her. Sam began to stir and slowly opened her eyes to see Jack staring at her, smiling

"Hey" he said

"Hey yourself" she replied as jack removed the stray piece of hair from her beautiful face.

"How are you?"

"Just fine"

"Sam, I need to ask you something" Jack's face grew serious.

"Go on"

"Sam the past few days have been great, but we are going back tomorrow and everything will change."

"I know" Sam said sadly

"When we go back will it change back to before, will you regret what has happened between us?" At this point Sam sat up and looked deeply into Jack's eyes.

"Jack do you remember what Daniel said about never knowing real love?

"Yeah but he wasn't himself then"

"I know that but he was right I had never known real love but the past few days...... I'm more in love with you than I ever thought possible" Sam kissed him gently on the lips and said "I could and never will regret us, I love you."

"I love you too" Jack kissed Sam passionately on the lips before breaking it off to say,

"Then we have a problem"

"Yeah" Sam said reluctantly "We do"

"So what do we do about it?"

"I don't know but I do know that I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you."

"Well then I'll retire"

"What? You can't"

"Sam, if it means we can be together then it's a small price to pay"

"I won't let you"

"It's my decision"

"No, it's not, it affects us both"

"Sam, let me do this"

"No I won't"

"It's our only option"

"No it's not. I'll leave"

"Oh there's not a chance in hell!"

"Then you can't. I can't imagine anyone else leading SG1. I won't let anyone else lead SG1" Sam said completely seriously, Jack smiled at her,

"You know, you're very sexy when you're angry" as he kissed her

"Don't change the subject" Sam said trying not to get distracted "OK. What are we going to do?" she asked

"Well, I know what I want to do" seductively kissing her neck

"Jack" Sam stopped him and looked into his deep brown eyes

"Shhhh" Jack said putting a finger to her lips, "We don't go back till tomorrow. So lets enjoy the time we have here, the rest will sort itself out, you'll see," he began to kiss her neck again, she lay down on the rug and enjoyed the attention Jack was giving her.

The drive back from the cabin was mostly silent, both deep in thought about what was going to happen when they got back. Sam stared out of the window, she didn't want to give Jack up or for him to retire, now that she knew how he felt for her. As if sensing her thoughts Jack placed his hand reassuringly on her thigh. Sam looked at Jack and smiled knowing he would sort it out, he always did.

They entered Cheyenne mountain, trying to stay professional until they entered the elevator, then Jack drew Sam to him and kissed her.

"Don't worry, everything will be fine." Jack said when the kiss ended

"I know"

"Whatever happens I love you"

"I love you too Jack." The elevator doors opened, they stepped out and headed for Hammond's office.

General Hammond was sitting at his desk writing the latest reports on base operations when there was a knock his door,

"Enter!" he shouted and in stepped a worried Jack and Sam

"Ah Colonel, Major. How was your downtime?"

"Fine sir. Actually it's that very thing we want to discuss with you sir" Jack said

"Oh. I something wrong?"

"Nothing sir, the exact opposite actually"

"You've lost me Colonel"

"Let me explain sir, Carter came fishing with me"

"I don't see a problem with that"

"Well, while we were there we.....um....we...ur.....well we...."

"What the Colonel is trying to say sir, is that the nature of our relationship has changed"

"I'm still not with you Major"

"In other words sir, I'm in love with Major Carter" General Hammond took this information in,

"I see. Major I presume you feel the same way about Colonel O'Neill"

"Yes sir, I do" Sam said with no regret in her voice

"Well then we have a problem"

"Yes sir we do"

"On a personal note, I am extremely happy for both of you" Jack and Sam smiled

"But from a military point of view, this is a serious infraction of the rules"

"We know sir." Jack said disappointedly

"I have to discuss the situation with the President"

"OK sir" Sam said

"I suggest you two think about what you want to do if the worst comes to the worst."

"Yes sir" Jack said as he and Sam turned to the door and walked out,

"Jack" General Hammond called, Jack turned around and went back into the office.

"Yes sir"

"Jack, if it comes down to it, you may have to make the difficult decision here, you are both great assets to this base and I can't afford to lose either of you. Sam's young and quite neive when it comes to love, she always has been that's how she got involved with Hanson, Jacob told me but I can see it in her eyes that she loves you, you may have to break her heart to save her career."

"I don't know if I can do that sir"

"You may have no choice, but I will do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen"

"Yes sir" and with that Jack left the office and went in search of Sam. General Hammond picked up the red phone off his desk and waited for the voice on the other end

"Hello Mr President, we have a situation sir" General Hammond explained the `situation' to the President as he began to brace himself for the answer.

Meanwhile Jack had gone to find Sam, he checked her lab, no sign there, he tried her quarters when he still saw no sign of her, then he thought about it and walked towards his own quarters. As he opened the door, he saw Sam sitting on the edge of his bed. He sat down next to her and slid his arm around her waist. She didn't move he knew she wouldn't, he turned her head towards his and stared deep into her eyes, filled with desire and fear as they started welling up. Jack quickly pulled Sam toward s him as she began to sob, exclaiming that she wouldn't ever leave and wouldn't let him leave her. Jack comforted her as she calmed down, she looked at him, her eyes puffy and red. Jack reached his hand up to her face, wiped the last tear trickling down her face and traced his finger to her lips. Sam closed her eyes as he did this. Suddenly Jack stopped and ran out the door, Sam looked in shock, shouted after him and got up herself.

Jack was making his way to Hammond's office, he burst in as the General put the phone down. Jack stood there, Hammond again braced himself for Jack's onslaught.

"Sir if I may, I don't care what the President has said, I love Sam, I won't leave her and break her heart along with my own. If I have to I'll retire, stuff this lot, I care about Sam a damn sight more than this."

....................................................................................................................................................

Sam decided not to go after Jack, instead she went to see Janet, she needed to get some things off her chest and Janet was her best friend, she needed one right now. As she walked into the Infirmary she saw Janet checking a chart. She looked up to see Sam standing in the doorway,

"Sam! You're back. How was fishing?" she walked over to Sam but as she got closer she saw Sam's eyes were red as if she'd been crying.

"Sam, what's wrong?" Janet said concerned about her friend

"Can we go somewhere private?"

"Sure, we can go in my office" Janet led Sam into her office and closed the door as they both sat down.

"So, what's up?"

"Nothing my life is perfect" at this Janet looked at Sam's blotchy eyes and said

"I can see that. You are just so happy" the sarcastic comment made Sam smile

"Well my life was perfect for about three days."

"So what happened after three days?"

"We came back here"

"I'm confused. We being Colonel O'Neill and You right?"

"Yep, at first it was nice, we talked and laughed..."

"And then?"

"And then it became fantastic"

"Why?" then it hit Janet "Oh"

"Yeah, oh"

"Sam, you just kissed him right?"

"No"

"You slept with him?"

"Yeah, I did"

"Well being away from the SGC, away from the rules, it must have been the air"

"It wasn't the air. I love him Janet" as Sam said this Janet's face dropped

"You love Colonel O'Neill?"

"No, I love Jack"

"What's the difference?"

"Colonel O'Neill is a strict military man with a male bravado the size of Colorado Springs. Jack is sweet, gentle and loving"

"I see"

"We went to see Hammond this morning and told him"

"What did he say?"

"He is discussing it with the President now. I think Jack got impatient and went to his office. The thing is, what if he says `no'. I don't know if I can go back to being Colonel and Major." Sam began to cry again, Janet got up and hugged her saying.

"Sam, I can't tell you how to feel but I know that Jack loves you too, I saw it when you were taken over by the entity, he refused to leave you, that kind of love doesn't come along everyday and when it does you have to grab it and hold onto it tightly. If the President says `no', you have to make the decision, are you going to keep hold of it or are you going to let it go?" At this point Sam had stopped crying and was wiping her eyes

"I can't let this go Janet"

"Well then don't, but you can't make a final decision until you know what the President says, so go and find out." Sam smiled, Janet was the greatest friend anyone could ask for, she hugged her, stood up and said,

"Thanks Janet"

"Anytime" Sam left and headed towards Hammond's office.

....................................................................................................................................................

Jack looked at Hammond angrily but feeling slightly guilty as he knew Hammond would do all he could to help them,

"You really love her, don't you Jack?"

"More than anything Sir, more than my own life"

"Just as well"

"Sorry?" Jack was now confused

"I've just gotten off the phone with the President who has said because of your outstanding efforts to . protect and save the world, you both deserve to be happy."

As Hammond said this Sam came in, Jack turned to her and kissed her passionately almost vigorously. Sam was not expecting this and was taken off balance but Jack was holding her so tight she just melted in his arms. The kiss seemed to last forever, until Hammond decided he had had enough of watching the two love birds `smooch'.

"Colonel O'Neill" Hammond said, Jack finally stopped kissing Sam but kept his arms around her as he looked at Hammond

"Could you please distangle yourself from Major Carter," Jack did what Hammond asked and the two stood side by side.

"Now I know the two of you are happy and excited about what the President has said BUT he also said that you have to be professional when on duty. You are still both military personnel and have to conduct yourselves accordingly."

"Yes sir" Jack and Sam said in unison,

"Dismissed" Hammond said, Jack and Sam turned to the door

"Oh and Colonel, Major.." Sam and Jack turned and looked at Hammond

"Congratulations" they heard this, smiled and said

"Thank you sir" as they walked out.

....................................................................................................................................................

Sam and Jack managed to control their excitement till they got back to their quarters but it was difficult, everytime Sam looked at Jack all she wanted was for him to take her, there and then. Jack was having a similar problem, just the sight of Sam aroused him. They got back to Jack's quarters, they both stepped in the room and Jack shut the door. Jack turned around to see Sam a few feet away from him smiling, he smiled back at her as he walked closer to his lover. When he got close enough that he could smell her perfume, he stopped and looked down at her seeing the desire in her eyes. There they just stood, smiling at each other, examining each other's facial features. Jack reached out and taking Sam's hand he placed a gentle kiss on the back and looked up at Sam. The moment was perfect, for them each moment together was perfect but now there was no worry about consequences of their actions.

Jack withdrew his hand from Sam's, gently cupped her face and drew hers to his. The kiss was tender and loving, Jack's hands moved into Sam's hair trying to draw her closer. Sam's world melted away until the only thing left was the two of them. As the kiss finished Sam led Jack to the bed and sat him down. Jack's eyed never left Sam as she seductively began to undress, first her air force jacket, then her black T-shirt. Jack's heart nearly stopped as he saw Sam standing in front of him in her trousers but only a satin black bra covering her up. Sam continued her strip tease for Jack, she removed her army boots and finally her trousers. Jack gasped as he saw her, all the time in his cabin . but she had never looked as beautiful as she did now. Sam began to advance on Jack until she was centimetres from him. Jack placed his hands on her back and admired how smooth her skin was. Sam had her hands on Jack's shoulders while running her fingers through his hair, as she did this, the desire in Jack overwhelmed him and he pulled Sam gently down onto the bed and kissed her. As he deepened the kiss, Jack ran his hands down Sam's side and bought them back up to be tangled in her soft, blonde hair. Finally the kiss finished from pure lack of oxygen, as they stared into each other's eyes,

"Aren't we overdressed lover?" Sam said smiling

"Mmm, we are" Jack replied as he began to nuzzle at Sam's neck. As he did this, Sam started to untuck Jack's T-shirt from his trousers and began to lift it over his head. Jack stopped his assault on Sam's body long enough for her to take off his shirt and throw it on the floor, with Sam's clothes. Jack moved to kiss Sam's neck but Sam stopped him, she turned him over so she was on top of him, sitting on his legs. Jack lay there and admired Sam's beautiful body. Sam raked her fingers over Jack's chest and abdomen, then she got lower and unbuckled Jack's trousers, as she unzipped them and pulled them off. Jack just lay there as Sam walked around the bed and sat on Jack's stomach. Sam lowered her head down to Jack's and kissed him. Jack lifted his head up trying to kiss Sam deeper, he lifted his arms up and pulled Sam closer to him, her warm skin made contact with his as she lay on top of him. Jack rolled Sam over so he was on top, never breaking the kiss. Sam could feel Jack's arousal brewing and knew her own was on overload, she could feel time was near. Jack also felt this, he began to remove the last items of clothing separating them. Jack looked down at Sam as she looked up at him.

"I love you" Jack said

"I love you too" Sam said, Jack kissed her. The two lovers were locked in an embrace as passion filled the room. Sam had never felt so much love in her whole life, she loved Jack more than life, he was her life, she needed him, their love grew, moans grew in intensity and the air was filled with desire.

Jack woke up to feel a weight on his chest, he opened his eyed to see a sleeping Samantha Carter with her arms around him, her head resting on his chest and one leg draped protectively over his legs. As he watched Sam sleeping peacefully, he thought of what they had been through in the last few years, Jolinar, the Zaytar'c testing, the Entity, the list could go on for miles but they had got through all that and had found each other. He was more in love than he ever thought possible. He thought back to when he was married to Sara, he had thought he had found his soul mate but he was wrong, after Charlie had died, they had divorced. After that Jack thought he would never find love again but then Sam came into his life, she was his best friend, he couldn't live without her, she was his soul mate. Just then Jack had an idea, it was brilliant but it would take time and first he needed to do something. Trying not to wake Sam up he distangled himself from her, got out of bed and got dressed. He was ready to leave as he wrote Sam a note and left it on the pillow beside her, he then kissed her on the forehead and quietly left.

Jack made his way down the maze of corridors and to General Hammond's office. He knocked on the door, heard the `enter' come from within the room and entered. Hammond looked up from his desk and saw Colonel O'Neill enter,

"Jack? I didn't think I'd seen you anytime soon"

"Yes sir, neither did I but I need a favour"

"What kind of favour?"

"I need to go through the Stargate"

"To where exactly?" Jack began to explain his plan to Hammond, as he listened he smiled, knowing Jack had thought a lot about this.

"Well sir, what do you think? Can you help me?"

"I think it's a great idea and I will do everything to help"

"So does this mean I can go?"

"Yes Jack, you can go but I want you to take Teal'c"

"Yes sir"

"You can leave as soon as you are ready."

"I can be ready in 10"

"OK 10 it is"

"Thank you General for everything"

"Anytime Jack. Dismissed." Jack left Hammond's office and ran all the way to Teal'c's quarters. He barged in the door without knocking,

"Teal'c you in here?"

"I am O'Neill" Teal'c appeared from the darkness, only candlelight lighting the room as he stood up,

"C'mon, we have a mission"

"I was not informed"

"That's because it was only decided three minutes ago now hurry up, we only have seven minutes." Jack walked over to Teal'c and pushed him out of the room and to the changing rooms. Both men were ready in minutes, they made their way to the gateroom. When they entered, they saw the gate was already dialling. They stood at the bottom of the ramp, waiting for the Stargate to engage. Jack could hardly contain his excitement as he made his way up the ramp, he turned and looked up at the control room and at Hammond

"Good luck son"

"Thank you sir" Jack replied just before Teal'c and himself stepped through.

On the other side, they were greeted by Jacob and Anise,

"Jack? I didn't expect you. What's wrong, couldn't wait till next week to see me?"

"Hi Jacob, Anise. Actually I couldn't wait till next week. I need to ask you something."

"Is everything OK?" Jacob said worriedly, "Nothing's wrong with Sam is there?"

"No Jake, nothings wrong with Sam in fact the opposite, everything's great with Sam."

""OK, now I'm confused."

"Can we go someplace private."

"Yes of course this way." Jacob led them back to the base. While Teal'c went off to talk to other Tok'ra, Jacob and Jack went to Jacob's quarters and sat down.

"OK Jack. What's up?"

"This is gonna come as quite a shock"

"Jack! Just spit it out!"

"OK.... I'm in love with Sam" Jacob sat there for a minute trying to take in the information,

"Jacob, are you OK?"

"Yeah, I'm just thinking.............OK.....Well"

"Well? Is that all you can say?"

"How does Sam feel about this?"

"Sam feels the same way and the President has given us permission to persue a relationship"

"Oh, well congratulations Jack. I am very happy for you and Sam, I always knew you two were meant for each other."

"Yeah well I know that now, it just taken me a while to realise it"

"So, what do you need to ask me?"

"I love Sam more than anything in the Universe,. I think I've known that I love her for years but was never brave enough to tell her, now I am and I want to......"

"Want to what?"

"I want to ask her to marry me." again Jacob tried to absorb the information, when he finally realised what Jack was saying he smiled, stood up and shook Jack's hand.

"That's brilliant news Jack. You have my full support." At this Jack also stood up,

"I was hoping you'd say that"

"So when are you going to propose?"

"Tonight. General Hammond has arranged a surprise for Sam and I will ask her."

"That's quick! If it's tonight I want you to have this" Jacob walked over to a table in the room, opened one of the decorated boxes and took out something. He walked back over to Jack, took his hand and put the object in it. Jack opened his hand to see a ring, he picked it up with his other hand and looked at it carefully. It was beautiful, it was gold with diamonds encrusted around the top,

"It was my Grandmother's, I gave it to Sam's mother and now I'm giving it to you. Will you give it to Sam?

"Jake, it's beautiful, of course I will, I'd be honoured."

"Thank you, I will be proud to have you as my son-in-law Jack" Jacob shook Jack's hand again and began to lead him back to the Stargate. Teal'c dialled up as Jack turned to Jacob

"So, you're coming to Earth next week?"

"Yeah, I'm coming. See you then and tell Sam I said congratulations"

"I will" the Stargate engaged and Tael's waited for Jack,

"Right, see you next week- Dad" Jacob laughed,

"Yeah OK" Jack walked to the Stargate

"Oh Jack!" Jacob shouted, Jack turned to him "If you hurt my little girl, I will kill you!" Jack knew he was being completely serious,

"I would never hurt her sir" Jack said back, Jacob knew he wouldn't. Jack and Teal'c then stepped through the Stargate.

He came out the other side and saw Sam standing at the bottom of the ramp waiting for him. he made his way down the ramp and hugged her

"Hey" Jack said

"Hi" Sam replied, Jack kissed her quickly not letting it get too intense as 20 SF's were watching them. Jack led Sam out the door where Hammond met them.

"So Colonel, I trust everything went as planned?"

"Yes sir, we got the samples you wanted." he could see Sam didn't suspect a thing, as they walked past Hammond to the changing rooms.

Sam sat on the bench as she waited for Jack to shower. When he came out, he saw Sam on the bench facing away from him. He coughed to let Sam know that he was there. Sam turned around to see Jack in just a towel, she walked over to and kissed him. When it broke Jack said,

"Mmmm, I should go away more often" Sam smiled

"Why did you go?"

"Didn't Hammond tell you?" He needed someone to collect a soil sample from a planet and check it was safe so one of the new SGC teams could go through on their first mission, he wanted it to be a routine mission."

"Why couldn't the malp do that?"

"I don't know, Hammond just asked us" Jack knew that Sam was starting to get suspicious, so he changed the subject by kissing her softly. As soon as he did Sam forgot the whole conversation. When he kiss finished, Jack sat Sam down on the bench again and began to dressed. When he let his towel drop, Sam let out a wolf whistle. Jack turned around, smiled and said

"Easy tiger." Sam just smiled and Jack went back to dressing again.

Five minutes later Jack finished, he took Sam by the hand and led her to the elevator. When they reached it, Jack said,

"You go, I'll meet you topside."

"Why? Where are you going?"

"I forgot to tell Hammond something, I'll be two minutes, I promise."

"OK" Sam said, she entered the elevator and pressed the button. Jack watched the door close then he ran to Hammond's office, not bothering to knock on the door, he poked hid head in,

"Sir, Sam and I are just leaving. Is everything ready here?"

"It will be when you get back. How long do we have?"

"We will be back at 20:00 sir."

"Everything will be ready"

"Bye sir"

"Bye"

Jack walked back to the elevator and went up to the surface. He walked towards the car and saw Sam standing, waiting for him.

"OK, ready to go?"

"Yep, let's got out of here." Jack opened the car, they both got in and drove to Sam's house to pick up some clothes. While Sam was making sure the house was secure, Jack snuck into Sam's bedroom and searched her wardrobe for a dress. He saw one which was perfect, it was a simple backless dress, it was short but he knew it would look great on Sam. He took it out and carefully put it in Sam's holdall. He exited Sam's room and went back to the front door to wait. Seconds later Sam appeared, she took her bag off Jack and they both left.

When they reached Jack's house, they went inside, Sam went straight upstairs to have a shower while Jack sat in front of the TV. As soon as Jack was sure that Sam was in the shower, he began to execute the plan. He ran upstairs to his, (well now their) bedroom, he laid out the dress he picked up at Sam's on the bed and changed himself. When he finished he turned on the stereo and put on a CD that he had found in his collection full of love songs, he lighted some scented candles that Sam had brought from home as she thought they would be romantic. He could tell Sam was out of the shower because she had stopped singing. So he gave everything one more check and waited for Sam to come.

Sam came out of the bathroom, she walked down the hall and she began to smell something sweet. As she walked closer to the bedroom the smell got stronger. She leaned forward and opened the door to see Jack standing beside the bed in a suite, she looked around and saw candles scattered around the room and she could hear music playing in the background. Sam walked towards Jack,

"Jack? What's going on?" Jack put his finger to his lips to show her to be silent, he leaned over and picked up the dress,

"Put this on. I have a surprise for you." Sam took the dress off Jack and without anymore questions she began to get dressed. Jack lay on the bed watching Sam dress. Sam pulled up the straps onto her shoulders, walked over to Jack and kissed him,

"I'll be back" she turned away and started towards the door,

"Where are you going?" Sam turned around and said,

"I have no make-up on"

"You look beautiful anyway"

"Thanks, but I want to look my best"

"OK" Jack lay back down on the bed with his hands behind his head as Sam went to the bathroom.

Fifteen minutes later, Jack was beginning to get impatient, so he got off the bed and walked to the bathroom, he stopped outside and knocked on the door,

"Sam, you ready yet?"

"Just coming" a few seconds later the lock on the door was opened and Sam stood in front of him. The sight of Sam took his breath away, Sam took a pose and said

"How do I look?"

"Wow,"

"So I look good?"

"Wow."

"Jack" Sam's voice raised a little which brought Jack back down to Earth.

"Sorry." Jack walked towards Sam and snaked his arms around her waist, "You look amazing!"

"Wow" Sam said, Jack leaned forward and kissed Sam. As the kiss finished Jack leaned his head on Sam's and said,

"We need to get going"

"OK" Jack led Sam out of the house and to the car. When they got in Jack took out a blindfold and showed it to Sam.

"Let me put this on"

"Why?"

"Sam, do you trust me?"

"Of course"

"Then trust me with this" Sam contemplated this for a second and then turned around and let Jack put it on. He made sure it was secure and they drove off. Sam had no idea where they were going or how long it was going to take to get there but she didn't mind. She was enjoying the feeling of excitement and suspense, she wanted this to last as long as possible. They drove in silence, neither wanting to spoil the mood. Jack knew everything was going to plan, they were five minutes from the SAC and running right on time.

Jack got out of the car and ran around the other side to help Sam out. The final part of the plan was coming together, Jack rummaged around in his pocket and found ear plugs

"Sam, I'm going to put ear plugs in your ears OK?"

"OK" Sam replied, Jack placed them firmly in her ears and made sure she couldn't hear anything by saying,

"Sam......Sam.....Sam?" positive she couldn't hear anything, he carefully led Sam through the maze of . corridors and elevators that led to the gate room. As they entered the gate room, General Hammond had set up everything just like he had asked. The Stargate was active, the lights were out so the light of the gate was the only light in the room. He looked up at the control room and saw there was nobody up there, they were completely alone, just how he wanted it. Jack stood at the bottom of the ramp and took the ears plugs out of her ears,

"Can I take the blindfold off yet?"

"Not just yet. I'll tell you when"

"OK" Jack left Sam's side, walked up to the top of the ramp and stood there. This was the moment that would change his life, and hers. He stood there for a moment preparing himself for either the good or bad answer.

"OK, you can take the blindfold off now" As Sam took the blindfold off, she had to let her eyes adjust to the bright light of the Stargaze. She looked up at the gate and saw Jack standing at the top of the ramp.

"Jack, what is going on?"

"I thought this would be the perfect place."

"The perfect place for what?"

"For asking you" Jack began to walk down the ramp towards Sam, he took Sam's hand in his own and knelt in front of her.

"Four years ago, you came into my life, at first I have to say that I didn't really like you. I thought you were another scientist but the more I got to know you, the more I realised what a wonderful person you are. After a while, I don't know how long, I began to feel more than I should, as you found out during the Zanex stuff." Sam laughed at his pronunciation of Zaytarc. "Anyway, now I can't imagine my life without you, when your not around I feel incomplete like a part of me is missing. You're my soul mate, you breathe life into my heart and now I want this forever. Sam, will you marry me?" Jack put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a box. He opened the box and showed Sam the ring that Jacob had given him.

"So, Samantha Carter, will you do me the honour on being Mrs Jack O'Neill?"

"Jack, of course I will."

"You will?"

"I will. You can get off the floor now Jack and kiss me" Jack put the ring on Sam's finger, got off his knee and kissed his new fianc.

"I love you Sam"

"I love you too." Suddenly the gate disengaged, the lights came on, Sam and Jack looked around as they could hear clapping. They looked up to see Daniel, Teal'c, Janet and General Hammond standing in the briefing room window looking down on them. Sam and Jack smiled up at them and turned back to each other. They looked into each other's eyes, leaned forward and kissed passionately.

....................................................................................................................................................

The day was finally here, it had been four months since Jack had proposed to Sam and now the big day had arrived. Jack stood at the front of the church with his two best men, Daniel and Teal'c waiting for Sam to walk down the aisle. he thought back to when he was marrying Sara, he had been so nervous that he had nearly fainted on the priest but today he wasn't nervous at all, he knew Sam and himself were meant to be together and so there was nothing to worry about.

Sam was much the same, she was completely at peace too. She was standing at the back of the church, waiting for someone to open the doors and the music to start. Janet was more stressed than Sam, she was running about making sure Cassie's bridesmaids dress was right and her own as well. Jacob looked at his daughter by his side and she smiled back at him,

"You ready?"

"Yep" Sam said calmly

"I'm so proud of you honey and your mom would be too"

"I miss her. I wish she was here."

"She is"

"OK, lets get this show on the road" The music started, the congregation stood up and the doors opened. Cassie looked up at Sam one more time, she saw Sam winked at her and Cassie knew that was her cue to start down the aisle, Janet waited a few more seconds before following Cassie. Sam took a deep breath and began to walk slowly towards her soul mate.

Jack stood up as soon as he heard the music begin, he turned around and saw Cassie walk down the aisle, followed by Janet and finally he saw Sam on Jacob's arm. His breath caught in his throat when he saw what she was wearing, she looked amazing, everything about her was angelic. When she got close to him, Jacob shook his hand safe in the knowledge that Jack would never hurt. Sam in anyway, he took Sam's arm off his and handed his little girl over to Jack.

"Thank you" Jack said to Jacob as he accepted Sam's hand and Jacob stepped back. Sam and Jack faced each other, hand in hand while the priest began the ceremony,

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today...." The ceremony went off without a hitch, Jack and Sam said their `I do's' and finally the priest said,

"I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Jack brought his hand up to Sam's cheek, leaned in and kissed her softly. A cheer went up from the crowd as the new couple kissed. They broke apart, took each others hand and walked out of the church.

Jack and Sam greeted the guests at the reception, they shook everybody's hand, hugged those who were most important to them and then they took their places at the top table. After the dinner, the band started up and it was time for Sam and Jack's first dance. Jack led Sam to the dance floor and held her tightly around the waist while Sam laid her head on Jack's chest. The music started and they danced to the beat, they both listened to the words, it described what they both felt.

`Every little thing that you do,
I'm so in love with you,
It just keeps getting better.
I wanna spend the rest of my life,
With you by my side,
Forever and ever.
Every little thing that you do,
Baby, I'm amazed by you.'

Sam took her head off Jack's chest and looked into his eyes.

"I love you Jack O'Neill"

"I love you Sam O'Neill'" Sam smiled at being called that name, she liked it.

"You hear those song words," Sam nodded "I want to spend the rest of my life with you by my side, forever and ever." Jack sang along to the words "I never want to leave you, I want to have children with you, I want to watch them grow up with you by my side and I want to grow old with you. I want to be with you forever."

"I know the feeling, I feel the same."

"Good" Jack and Sam smiled at each other and went on dancing knowing they had their whole lives together.

If you enjoyed this story,please send feedback to Shauna