Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Finally Together?

by Sarah Peckover
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Finally Together?

Finally Together?

by Sarah Peckover

TITLE: Finally Together?
AUTHOR: Sarah Peckover
EMAIL: sarahpeckover@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Angst
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: any
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Will Sam and Jack make it through to eack other?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Be gentle, its my first fanfic! I will write a sequel if there is any demand for it!

"So Major, what did you think about my briefing on PX-4473?" Jack O'Neill looked at his second-in-command hopefully, "Did I get the science bit right?"

Major Samantha Carter hesitated and sighed to herself. This man was her boss and also had the cutest butt she had ever seen....no.scratch that, she really had to stop thinking about him like that...back to the boss bit Sam! " Well sir, to be truthful, I think you might have got your quasars muddled up with your pulsars......" His face fell and her heart went out to him, just like it always did. "But on the whole, I found it very interesting."

Jack spun round.."Did you hear that Danny, she said it was INTERESTING! Wow, I have arrived in the scientific community!" Daniel laughed at Jack's statement, he really looked like a small boy whose favourite teacher had singled him out for praise. He looked at Tealc and raised his eyebrows, honestly, these two were something else!

He turned to the larger man. "Tealc, would you give me a hand with those scrolls SG11 brought back from PX235, the Gouald language is a bit archaic and I'm struggling over a few of the more subtle meanings" Tealc nodded. "Of course Daniel Jackson, I will be pleased to assist you ." He looked at Jack and Sam. "O' Neill, I am finding it difficult to agree with Major Carter in this instance concerning your briefing, may I suggest that you undertake more research to ensure that the next is more enlightening ? " As Sam and Daniel choked at the look on Jacks face, Tealc raised an eyebrow and walked in the direction of Daniel's lab. "Oh I am so wishing we hadn't taught him about Tauri humour " growled Jack. " I trust that isn't a grin on your face Major?" "Of course not sir, what ever gave you that idea?" Sam ran towards her lab before the laughter she was studiously trying to hold in made a break for it.

"Well Colonel, I am pleased to advise you that I am putting SG1 on stand-down for the next 5 days, mainly to allow Dr Jackson time to complete his analysis of the artefacts you found on PX235. Tealc has agreed to work with Dr Jackson and his team on this which leaves you and Major Carter......... Colonel?" General Hammond jumped round his desk as Jack slowly collapsed to the ground. " Dr Fraisier, medical emergency in my office NOW ! " he shouted into his phone.

Janet Frasier came running into the room minutes later with her team and immediately realised that Jack, who by now was starting to turn blue, was in serious trouble. "100cc of adrenaline, stat!" There was no time for ceremony as she pushed up his black T-shirt and jabbed the large needle into his breastbone. " Paddles, NOW!.....Clear!" Jacks entire body arched upwards in a crazy spasm and then lurched floorwards again. Janet quickly checked for a pulse, it was there but only just . "Get him to the Infirmary immediately , I need to find out what the hell caused this and soon."

Several hours later, the remaining members of SG1 were sitting dejectedly outside of the Infirmary. Daniel kept looking at Sam who was white with suppressed fear. "He'll be all right Sam, I'm sure of it, Jack is one tough son of a bitch" "I concur Major Carter," said Tealc, " O'Neill is a strong warrior and Dr Frasier a skilled physician, I feel sure..." He was interrupted when Janet emerged from the Infirmary door, her face betraying her feelings. She looked at the people in front of her and thought to herself, "God, what am I going to tell them.....oh Jesus, especially Sam.." General Hammond appeared at that moment and saved her from an immediate response to all the unasked questions she could see in front of her. He looked at her. "Dr Frasier ? How is Colonel O'Neill?"

Janet hesitated, looking for the words she had been fighting to find for the last half an hour. " The simple answer is I don't know. He had a cardiac arrest in your office, for what reason I cannot tell, and to be frank, that's what is worrying me." She sighed. "Jack O'Neill may not be the youngest Air Force officer around but I would stake my life that he is one of the fittest. He regularly beats the stats on his check-ups and this just shouldn't be possible. I have checked every possible natural cause and I have had to fall back on a somewhat unlikely scenario....Jack has been poisoned."

Sam gasped and Daniel let out a short moan. "Will he make a full recovery Dr Fraisier?" asked Tealc. "To be honest Tealc, I don't want to guarantee that he will make ANY sort of recovery at the moment, he has fallen into some form of a coma and I just can't wake him." Tears started to roll down Sam's face as she gripped her hands tightly together. "Can we see him?" she blurted out. "Yes, of course, but please remember what his body has been through, we have him on life support at the moment." Daniel watched, helpless as Sam lost even more colour, something he would have said was impossible five minutes ago. He took her hand in his as she looked about blindly. "Sam, we have to be strong for him, we have to get out there and look for a solution to this, find the bastard that has done this to him, find a cure." Sam nodded, incapable of speaking . "SG1, it is quite feasible that the Colonel was poisoned on your last mission, you have a go to revisit PX235 , be prepared to move out with SG4 in one hour." General Hammond walked away, hoping that no-one had noticed the crack in his voice as he had given the order. "Dammit Jack, why do you have to do these things to me ?" he thought as he shook his head worriedly. The idea of life without his acerbic 2IC really was not appealing and he would do everything in his power to ensure it was a scenario that just did not happen.

Sam at and looked at her CO, thoughts running through her head, thoughts she knew she shouldn't be having. "Please God, don't take him away from me, I don't think I could live in a world without him. I don't care about the regs, I want to be with him so much, I need him more than I ever knew, please don't take him away from me.." She didn't realise the last few words had been said aloud until Daniel spoke. "Sam, why haven't you told him?" Sam jumped, she hadn't realised that Daniel had come back into the room. "Told him what ?" she said defensively. "That you love him...." Daniel hurried on, ignoring the look of shock on her face, "You know he loves you....why do you both avoid the truth ?"

She visibly sagged and then turned away so he couldn't see her tears. "Even if that were true Daniel there just is no future for us, too much would have to change and I just don't think......" Her voice broke as she took Jack's cold hand in her own. " I care for him and I suppose he cares for me, but that isn't enough to jeopardise both of our careers..." She flinched as Daniel grasped her arm and swung her around. "Don't give me that crap Sam! God, you two are as bad as each other! Jack can't tell you how he really feels and you kid yourself that you just care for each other! YOU LOVE EACH OTHER!!!!! For Gods sake admit it before you both lose the most important thing in your life!" With that Daniel strode out, leaving a shaken Sam in his wake. He hadn't really wanted to be that hard on her but Jesus! What did it take to make his two friends see sense?. He had lost the love of his life and he was damned if he was going to see either Sam or Jack go through the same pain, he just couldn't allow it. Daniel was scared that Jack wasn't going to make it and he really didn't think that Sam would cope if she lost him without being able to admit her feelings.

Thirty minutes later, a determined Sam met up with the rest of her team in the Gate room. "Are you sure you're up to this Major Carter?" asked General Hammond. "Totally sure Sir, we need to find out what happened to the Colonel and get a cure, my place is on this mission. " General Hammond touched her gently on the shoulder. "We'll look after him until you get back Major, that's a promise." Sam smiled grimly and made her way up the ramp. As she stepped through, the familiar cold gripped her body...after what seemed like a split second, she stepped out of the Gate on PX235, immediately taking up a defensive position. "Lets move out to the village, that's probably the best place to look...I keep having the feeling that those villagers were just too nice last time we visited.." Daniel privately agreed, he hadn't wanted to mention it to Sam initially but he was really worried that this had something to do with the chieftains daughter who had the serious hots for Jack, and now he felt he had to tell her..."Aghhhhhh!" Everyone spun round as Captain Johnson fell backwards, the telltale flight of an arrow protruding from his chest telling them they were in trouble. "Take cover!" yelled Sam, motioning to Tealc to try and get behind their assailants, he had already pinned down the position that the arrow had come from and was running towards the copse of trees with his staff weapon raised. As another arrow flew from the trees, Tealc responded and a bolt of energy shot from the weapon. "Please, no, we surrender!" The cry was followed by the appearance of two men and a woman from behind the tree, their hands raised in terror. "Major Carter, I have them,"said Tealc, his weapon still raised. Sam and Daniel came running over, Daniel stopping short as he recognised the woman. "Rellah, what the hell is going on?" he cried. The woman looked at the group with hatred in her eyes,saying nothing. "You know her Daniel?" Sam was confused and looked towards the archaeologist for an answer. "Rellah, Jack is very sick, do you know anything about it?" The woman sneered and spat on the ground. "I am pleased he is sick, he will get sicker before he dies! He should not have rejected me!" Sam and Tealc looked at each other as realisation dawned. "You mean you poisoned him...BECAUSE HE DID'NT WANT YOU???!!" Sam launched herself at the other woman and it was only Tealc's strength that saved her from serious injury. "Major Carter, do not harm the woman, we need to know if there is an antidote." Sam pulled herself together. "You're right Tealc, but so help me...." she looked at the woman with so much undisguised hatred that Daniel shivered. Sam walked over to the woman, drawing her knife meaningfully. She grasped her by the hair and started to talk to her, softly and quietly but with an intent that no-one could mistake. After a minute or so, she turned with a triumphant look on her face. "There is an antidote, she will send one of the men to get it from the village....sensible decision.." Daniel shivered again, the look on Sams face made him wonder how far she would have gone to get the information...perhaps it was best that he didn't know.

An hour later, the team stepped back through the Gate to be greeted by a frantic Janet Frasier. "Did you get it?!?" she snapped, "Hurry, his condition has deteriorated rapidly!" Daniel passed the vial to Janet who ran off in the direction of the Infirmary, the members of SG1 in hot pursuit. "I'm going to just have to take a chance and give it to him," she yelled to Sam, "we don't have time to run any tests on it, we are losing him anyway!" Tealc grabbed Sam as she swayed, stumbling into his arms. "Take her outside Tealc, the shock is all catching up with her, I'll let you know as soon as I have any news."

Three hours passed and Daniel, Sam and Tealc were frantic. General Hammond had been in to the Infirmary but exited rapidly having been told by his CMO that he was in the damn way! Finally, the doors opened and an ecstatic Janet appeared. "He has stabilised, he's going to be all right!" Daniel smiled at Sam as she wept for joy. "Tell him," he said softly, "You came too close to losing him today." "I will," said Sam, " I promise."

Four weeks later, Sam still had to make good on that promise. Daniel had been bugging her incessantly but every time she went to visit Jack....the Colonel, she just lost her nerve. "What if Daniel is wrong, what if he doesn't care about me?" she tortured her self. And now he was being put back onto active duty, once more he was her CO, unobtainable. "Daniel was right, you have blown it Sam!" she said sadly to herself as she walked towards the lift. "Hey Carter, wait up!" The familiar voice made the hairs on the back of her neck rise but she just turned and smiled. "Colonel, it's nice to see you up and about, are you heading for the lift?" "Yep, got to go and get signed off by the General, oh joy." The usual playful sarcasm was still there but Sam sensed something was not quite right, there was an undercurrent of something else there, something she just couldn't put her finger on. The lift doors shut behind them and the lift began to descend...Sam was just about to ask how he was feeling when suddenly the lights flickered and the lift juddered to a screeching halt. Sam and Jack were thrown onto the floor, Jack only just able to stop Sam from cracking her skull open on the wall as it passed by. The lights dimmed again and went out, leaving only the emergency light casting a faint glow. "Shit, what the hell was that!" moaned Jack. He realised with horror that Sam was not answering him and had not moved. "Sam! Sam! God, Sam please wake up!" To his eternal relief, she stirred . He gently checked her for injuries, thankfully concluding that she had just been knocked out . The emergency phone rang and roused him from his endeavours. "This is Colonel O'Neill, I have Major Carter with me in the lift and she has been injured, what's the situation?" "It's all under control Colonel, we had a power overload which shorted everything but the emergency generator will be online shortly, we'll have Doctor Frasier get to you immediately." Jack heaved a sigh of relief as he cradled Sams head gently. He had been scared that he was going to lose her before he had got up the courage to talk to her, tell her how he felt. Danny Boy had a lot to answer for, taking advantage of his bedridden state to insist that he " got out of his self-pitying state and made something good happen..." hmm, that boy could be quite cutting when he put his mind to it. His thoughts were interrupted by the lift resuming its motion and he heaved a sigh of relief as the doors opened and he saw the DOC's familiar brown eyes staring into his own. "She took a tumble when the lift stopped, I don't think she's broken anything but she has been unconscious ever since, will she be OK?" Janet smiled as she looked up from her examination of Sam into Jacks anxious brown eyes. "Yes, she'll be fine Colonel, you did good not to move her as I think she has a slight concussion but she'll make a full recovery." "Thank you God!" Jack breathed a huge sigh of relief as he followed the stretcher to the Infirmary.

TWO WEEKS LATER

"Oh for crying out loud, I'm going to have to go and talk to her, Danny is right!" Jack groaned as he manoeuvred his way through the bomb site that was his lounge, stress made him untidy and he was VERY stressed. It was 11pm and Jack knew that if he didn't go now he was going to lose his bottle again, "Great admission for a Special Ops trained fly boy!" he thought sourly. He was just pulling on his leather jacket when there was a knock at his door. "Oh jeez, is everything conspiring against me??!" He opened the door to see a very scared looking Sam stood, shivering, on the doorstep. "Carter? What the hell are you doing here?" Sam nearly turned and ran at this, luckily Jack, realising his mistake, grasped her firmly by the arm and propelled her into the kitchen, this being somewhat tidier than the lounge. Sam was still shivering, so Jack poured her a small whisky. He waited patiently whilst she drained it and then offered her a topup. "I don't need Dutch Courage!" she said in a quiet voice, more to herself that to Jack. "I'm sure you don't Carter, now do you want to tell me what you are doing standing on my step at 11oclock at night?"Sam looked up at him, her tearful blue eyes meeting his concerned brown ones. "My name is Samantha, Sam for preference," she said softly. Jacks breath caught in his throat as he looked at her. "And mine is Jonathan, Jack for preference," he managed to respond. She smiled at him through her tears and somehow he suddenly knew that Daniel had been right, she DID love him! Gently he bent his head to hers, cupping her face in his hands. As their lips touched, they both felt the shocks shooting though their bodies. "Oh God Sam, I need you so much!" whispered Jack, gently running his hands through her hair. Sam pushed her body up against his, nestling into his arms. "Jack, I never want to be away from you, I can't live my life knowing that I might lose you and you would never know how much I love you. " Jack looked at her with tears in his eyes, the first tears he could remember shedding for a very long time. He placed her hand on his heart, letting her feel the effect she was having on him, the longing that had finally been allowed to speak. "Oh Sam, I will never ever leave you again, you are the most important thing in my life and I love you so much!" They kissed again as they realised they would never be alone again.

Outside, Daniel sat in his car with a satisfied smile on his face. This last phone call to Sam had obviously done the trick and finally his friends had found the happiness that he had enjoyed for such a fleeting moment.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sarah Peckover