Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Through a Child's Eyes (Part 2)

by Sarah Butler
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Through a Child's Eyes Part 2

Through a Child's Eyes Part Two

by Sarah Butler

TITLE: Through a Child's Eyes Part Two
AUTHOR: Sarah Butler
EMAIL: Sarah74656@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: None really, maybe a few minor general ones.
SEASON / SEQUEL: Set sometime in the future, the year 2020. Second of a three part series.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: Some days after the story got posted, Sarah reads the posted version and realizes that the last half of the story is missing! Oh no! So she send the full story this time, and apologizes profusely. Now the story is - Some years in the future, one little girl we know decides to continue that diary she started….
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Note from the not-so-genius! I am sooo sorry! I know I typed all this stuff before, but it seems to have got lost in the post. The postal service this Christmas! Anyway, this is not like most serial stories, where it is compulsory to have read the first one to understand the rest. Basically, the first story was just a preamble, and although I would very much like you to read it, it is possible to understand this one if you haven't. I do like feedback, when I get messages telling me I'm wonderful (or not!) it seems to help me write better. And if you want to say I’m an idiot for posting healf a story, feel free! I know already though! Still, happy reading, hope you enjoy it!

3rd October 2020

Dear Diary,

Oh Grief, it's been a long time since I wrote last, hasn't it? Catch-up time, I think! I am now 16! And if you can't work that out from the date you've become a slave to all the tech! I never will, something my mum kinda drilled into me at an early age. Not that dad minded, he says it's better to be as smart as mum and not as dumb as him.

Such a lot has happened since I last wrote, I'm not really sure where to start. First off, the families grown. Instead of just me, there's now my little pain, I mean brother, Jacob. I say that, but he's not so bad I suppose. Uncle Daniel says it's the fault of two things, 'little' and 'boy'. The problem is, he can only grow out of one of those! Dad says he's a little angel, and Mom's not so sure. Well, she is the smart one!

I suppose the biggest thing in my life happened yesterday. 16 years of age and suddenly you grow up. You're no longer a mindless teenager in the eyes of the world - now you're a mindless young adult with a sense of purpose. At least, that's what Dad said. I think he tries too hard. I told Mom that and she just laughed, said it was all the 'generalness' in him. And of course, it was supposed to be a subtle play-on-words, but I'm not sure it was funny. Yeah, I know he's a general in the airforce, but really.

Anyway, I got my presents and the suchlike (NOTE: thank Uncle Teal'c for the palmtop, V. Cool!) and then the 'how you've grown' from all the family and friends you're obliged to ring. I'm not exactly sure how they can tell down a videophone - the images are so distorted!

Anyway, after late breakfast/early lunch we left for the base. That's SGC of course. I go quite often now, as I've found I have a large interest in the ancient mythologies, and there's really no better place to learn about that sort of stuff. I thought that I'd be doing some more of my studies yesterday too, but I knew as soon as I arrived that it wouldn't be like that. Dad had 'that look' on his face. I said something, and Dad said something about being as smart as 'his Sam' and then he went all goey, just like he always does on birthdays, Christmas and Valentines day. Only that's worse then, because he's all lovey-dovey as well. Mom's just as bad, only not on birthdays.

I asked what was going on, and mom said we were having a little history lesson, to bring back SG-1 for the final time to explain some stuff about my heritage I should know. I knew about that, well, I knew there was stuff I didn't know at any rate. It was kind of taboo at home, and there aren't many arguments when your Dad is General of a military base and your Mom is a Colonel leading the flagship team.

Just then, Uncl Daniel and Uncle Teal'c came in, and I just grinned. I'd waited so long for this, I'd hypothesised, guessed and figured and I knew I had some sort of idea of what was going to happen. I was going to go through the Stargate.

Now, since that little excursion on my 10th birthday I had only been through the Stargate once, to the Tok'ra homeworld, to do some work with one of their historians, comparing history to earth mythology. That was about six months ago, and I had been wanting to go again, because I had actually found Cra'hay quite an interesting person. Leya wasn't bad either, actually. (They're Tok'ra, so they're two as one or something.) Despite this though, Stargate travel was (and still is) exciting.

We went to the planet designated by the computer as P7A-656. I knew from my mythology studies that this was an Asguard planet, and taking into account my last interplanetary birthday trip I wasn't much surprised. On arrival, Dad made some remark about the trees, and Uncle Daniel pointed out some not-very-interesting features in the carved pot that was lying on the floor. Mom noted the lack of raw Naquada around and Uncle Teal'c said he wasn't going to play along with the game, because he didn't understand and he didn't have anything to say anyway.

Then, through a shimmer, Thor appeared. He said ‘Greeting’s O’Neill’s just like he did 6 years earlier, and Dad answered just the same ‘hiya Thor ‘ole buddie ‘ole pal’, like it was a ritual hellp. Just like the arrival to the planet, every little detail was trying to be reconstructed as a stereotype of their times together a sSg-1. Not that I can blame them. That’s where Mom and Dad met you know.

Thor then spent ages telling em all about me. He told me about how he had convinced General Hammond that Mom and Dad should be together ‘for the child’s sake’, and how he had conspired with Dr Fraiser, mum’s friend, to make it believable. Then he told me about how after General Hammond had consented to the marriage Janet had told them they really were having a baby.

Understandably, Mom and Dad were shocked to say the least. According to Uncle Daniel, Dad’s line went something like ‘but she can’t be…we haven’t….it’s not possible!’ After a while they got used to the idea, and picked the names. Ben Daniel Jacob O’Neill if I’d been a boy, Kathryn Sarah O’Neill ‘cause I was a girl. Every name meant something to someone. Ben was my Dad’s father’s name. Daniel after my uncle, Jacob for my other grandfather, Kathryn for the grandmother I never knew, and Sarah, well, they said it was my aunt’s name, but I didn’t know I had one, let alone one that knew me. I reckon it’s an echo of dad’s first wife. They think I don’t know anything sometimes. As if.

Anyway, after all that we came home, had tea with cake and everything. Birthdays are great. I have to get a job at the SGC full time. Hey, it’s my dream, always has been always will be. But as midnight approaches sleep is calling, s I’ll sign off.

G’night,

Kathryn.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sarah Butler