Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Saviours 3: The Illness

by Sara B
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Saviours 3: The Illness

Saviours 3: The Illness

by Sara B

TITLE: Saviours 3: The Illness
AUTHOR: Sara B
EMAIL: sara.bell2@ntlworld.com
CATEGORY: Series, Action/Adventure
PAIRING: none
SPOILERS: Fair Game, Singularity
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; Sequal to Saviours series: Saviours and Saviours2: Rachel
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Rachel has an illness that stops her living on Earth
STATUS: Unfinished
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Okay, I accidentally put the wrong address on my last story so if you gave feedback I'm sorry I didn't get it, this address is correct, please send feedback***only one part after this

Previously: Jack and Sam save a planet from the Goa'uld, the race didn't want Sam and Jack to leave, as they wanted them to protect their planet. Sam and Jack decided to leave anyway that's when they were introduced to a little girl, Rachel who claimed to be Sam and Jack's daughter. Sam and Jack left with Rachel for Earth.

Sam, Jack and Rachel arrive on Earth, the Stargate disengages behind them. General Hammond enters the embarkation room "Colonel, Major, Who is this?" he said and nodded down towards Rachel.

"General Hammond I'd like you to meet our daughter, Rachel O'Neill-Carter" Jack said as he picked her up

"Jack I thought you said..." Sam started, but Jack just looked and smiled, Sam knew that Jack didn't care if she was or wasn't theirs anymore.

"Colonel I thought you weren't sure were she was yours or not?"

"Technically we're not, sir" Jack replied.

"Technically?"

"Well no ones proven it either way, sir"

"Right I'm sure your debriefing will be interesting"

"When is it not, sir?"

They all head to the infirmary to get checked out and to she if Janet had the DNA tests back yet, not that it mattered any more.

The blood test were going through as fast as possible but they would still have to wait an hour or so before they could get any results back at all. As for the three of them they all check out OK. Rachel was playing with Janet while SG-1 debriefed.

"So, what do you think of Earth, Rachel?" Janet asked

"It's OK" Rachel seemed preoccupied with drawing pictures, most of them consisted of three people that look a lot like Sam, Jack and Rachel, some pictures included Teal'c, Daniel, Jenna and Jod'rell.

"Who's this a picture of?"

"That's Jack shouting at Jenna and Jod'rell"

"Who are Jenna and Jod'rell?"

"Jenna is the one that told me about Sam and Jack and Jod'rell is a doctor"

"Why are monsters taking Jenna on this one?"

"Jenna said the monster would get me if I went through the puddle but she was wrong and they got her instead"

"Right, so you don't like Jenna then?"

"Not any more she lied to me, and Jack doesn't like her so she must be bad"

"She must be" Janet said with a smile, Rachel obviously liked Jack as she believed almost everything he said.

"Ow!" Rachel said a she clutched her chest

"What's wrong?" Janet asked

"My chest hurt, it's OK now."

"You sure?"

"Yeah...OW!" she was in pain

"No your not, let me take a look"

"I want Sam and Jack" she said, her chest was still hurting, but she wouldn't let Janet take a look.

"Get Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter" Janet ordered the guard at the door the officer ran out of the infirmary.

The Captain ran into the debriefing "Captain, we're were..." Hammond started to tell him off

"Colonel, Major, it's the child..." before the man had finished Sam and Jack were already heading down the corridor to the infirmary. Jack got there first

"Rachel!" Jack said urgently as he got to her bedside.

"What's wrong with her?" Sam asked Janet as she entered the infirmary behind Jack

"I don't know she won't let me look at her"

"Rachel, you've got to let Janet take a look at you, see if she can see what's wrong"

Rachel looked at Sam "Arrgh...OK" she said, Rachel felt like are chest was going to cave in on her. Janet took a look at her and did some tests; Jack and Sam stayed in the infirmary the whole time refusing to leave her side. Half an hour later a nurse enters the infirmary "Major Carter, Colonel O'Neill?" Sam and Jack turned to see the nurse

"Yeah." The both sounded very nervous

"The DNA results have come through"

"Oh" neither Sam nor Jack seemed that bothered, but why would they; Rachel's ill and that was all that matter at that moment in time. Jack turned back to Rachel.

"Well do you want to know?"

"Um...Yeah" Sam answered.

The nurse handed some notes over to them and said with a smile "she's yours"

"Great" said Sam unenthusiastically "Jack, did you hear that?"

"Yeah, she ours, wooo-whoo" Jack sounded as enthralled as Sam

An hour later Rachel was stilling getting worse the intermittent pains, getting closer and more painful all the time. Janet pulled Sam and Jack a side "Well?" asked a very anxious Sam

"It's not good." Sam closed she eyes in disappointment and Jack turned and kicked the wall

"Why?" he said

"What's wrong?" asked Sam

"I don't know, but from what I can tell it's caused by something on Earth"

"What makes you think that?" Sam asked

"Just look." Janet hands Rachel's file to Sam "These are the results of the tests we did on her blood when she was off world, these are the results of the tests when she first came back and these are her results from now. She's gradually gotten worse each time. She was fine, then when she first got here she seemed fine, her readings a little different to what you'd expect but nothing that really jumps out at me, and now her reads are all over the place. Her cells seemed to have been breaking down for some reason."

"So we take her back." Jack stated

"Jack, what if this is Cassandra all over again?" Sam suggested

"No, think about it, they want us to stay, to protect them, how simpler than stop something we care about from leaving."

"She has to stay there so, so do we."

"Exactly."

"So you think taking her back is the only option?" Janet asked

"Yeah, it must be" said Jack "It's they only thing that makes sense."

"Right" Sam said figuring out what to do next. "Janet, get them to open the gate, me and Jack'll take Rachel back." Janet understood and went to the control room.

The Stargate opens "Told you they'll come back" Jod'rell told Jenna. Jack is the first to emerge on the planet's surface with Rachel in his arms and Sam is not 2 centimetres behind him. As soon as the step on the planet Rachel's breathing became more rhythmic but her chest was still causing great pain. "You did this" Jack accuses them.

"Did what?" Jod'rell tried to sound innocent

"Don't, Just don't; I swear I'll..."

"You'll what?"

Jack would've hit him there and then if he weren't holding Rachel.

"Jack, Rachel?" Sam tried to get him mind back on track, save Rachel then think about hitting Jod'rell. Jack looked down at the little girl lying in his arms, the pain had eased, you could see it on her face, Jack smiled happy to see she was going to be all right. "What did you do to her?" Sam demanded and explanation

"Nothing." Jenna replied

"Don't give me that crap"

"Jack, don't swear around Rachel" Sam was really starting to sound like a mother.

"Sorry," Jack said, "Well what did you do to her?"

"Look we can discuss this once we've got you to the base" Jenna told them. They all headed to the base. By the time they reach the base Rachel seem to be fine.

"Jack, Where are we?" she said not realising what had really gone on while she was in pain.

"We're back at the medical base" Jack said not happy by the fact they had to return.

"Where's Sam?"

"I'm here." Sam said coming into her vision. "You OK now?"

"Yeah, it doesn't hurt anymore"

"Good."

"Can you put me down, I can walk?" Rachel asked Jack. They both smiled she was definitely OK.

"Yeah, sure" Jack put her down and she held Sam's hand as the walk through the base, they came to a private room where they could discuss what happen to Rachel once she got to Earth.

"So what happened today, you obviously knew about it or you wouldn't have been waiting for us." Sam said, so they couldn't claim to be ignorant to the situation revolving around Rachel.

"We were aware of the situation, yes." Jenna said

"Yet you let us leave knowing she might die"

"We couldn't have stopped you, you would've gone back if we warned you or not"

Both Sam and Jack knew they were right. "Well you've not succeeded in anything." Jack told them.

"So, you're still leaving then?" Jod'rell asked

"No, we'll stay, with Rachel, but don't think we'll help you 'cos we won't" Jack told them straight.

"So, you'll let the Goa'uld destroy this world along with yourselves and..." Jod'rell looked down at Rachel but didn't finish the sentence; they all knew the end was 'your daughter'. Neither Sam nor Jack would let Rachel die but they really didn't want them to win, but they had to and there's nothing they could do about it. Jenna and Jod'rell left Sam and Jack to think the situation over, but everyone knew Jack and Sam wouldn't leave Rachel or endanger her life, so in essence they'd lost the battle. There was a short silence, Sam broke it "I should go back to Earth, get some stuff, if we're staying I'll need some clothes that kind of think."

Jack nodded "Yeah, I'll stay."

"Jack, don't give up we've been in worse situations"

"Name one."

At the moment in time Sam couldn't thing of any.

"See, we're beaten."

Sam didn't won't to leave Jack while he was so depressed but she had to go back to get some things for tomorrow and she wanted to have some messages sent to her family saying she'll be out of reach and to get in touch with her through the air force and she'll get the message. "I'll be back soon." she told them.

"You will come back." Rachel asked.

"Yeah Sweetie, I'll come back." Sam told her before she left.

Jack was so frustrated, he just wanted to hit Jod'rell, but he couldn't not with Rachel with him. Jack walked over to the wall and just lent against it and slid down to sit on the floor and dropped his head into his hands. "Dad?" Rachel said. Jack lifted his head, she called him 'Dad', somehow he went from being the most depressed, frustrated man in the galaxy to the happiest; he never thought he'd be called 'Dad' ever again. "Yeah." he answered.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, I'm fine"

"I'm sorry."

"What for?"

"You can't go back 'cos of me, it's my fault" She told him

"Don't say that, it's not your fault at all, you can't help it"

"It is. If I didn't get sick you could go back."

"True, but it's not you fault that you get sick"

"Whose fault is it?"

"J...No one's" He couldn't tell her it was Jenna and Jod'rell's fault, it wouldn't be fair to her.

"Major, what are you doing back?"

"I've come to collect some things, send so messages to friends and family and..." Sam paused "to resign."

"Resign?"

"I've got to, I have to stay with Rachel and I can't live there and work here as well."

"Understood. I'll put you and Colonel O'Neill on leave for now and if we can't sort this out..." His voice trailed off, the prospect of losing his two best officers was too much to contemplate. Sam looked down at her feet she didn't want to face the fact she won't be working at the SGC either and facing Hammond was like face the truth. Sam left the embarkation and went to the infirmary.

"Sam, what are you doing here?" Janet asked Sam as she entered the infirmary. Sam looked up

"I've come to say good bye" she added a little, force smile at the end, leaving the SGC should be a happy occasion like, getting a better job or starting a family, but it wasn't.

"Oh." Janet couldn't hide her disappointment that she'd never see her best friend again, she tried to brighten the mood "I've been trying to find out why Rachel got ill and how to stop it coming back."

"Thanks. Could you explain to Cassandra...?"

"Yeah, sure" she said glumly "You'll have to visit us you know"

"Yeah, you'll have to visit us too" they tired to make leaving as happy as it could be under the circumstances. "I've got to go find Daniel and Teal'c, say good bye to them too, by the way Jack'll be coming back after me, so he can say bye too."

"Right." Janet acknowledged Sam's last statement.

Sam left the infirmary, she tried not to look aback, as it would only make leaving harder, but she couldn't stop her self, she looked back at the infirmary and remembered all the times they had spent in the infirmary over last few years.

Just before Sam left for the last time Janet came across something big that might be a way of curing Rachel, the theory was only rough and there wasn't evidence to back it up but if Sam could stay a little longer she could prove it and the whole thing could be solved. Janet ran to the control room to see Sam heading up the ramp Janet grabbed the microphone "Sam, I think I've found something" she said, but it too late Sam had already left.

"Doctor?" Hammond asked

"It's Rachel, I think I might have found out how to cure her, it'll need work, but if Sam would've stayed I could've proven before she'd gone back."

"Good, keep working on it, Colonel O'Neill will be back soon we can inform him"

Half an hour later Jack was on Earth, he was in his room packing. He had been informed of Janet's discovery and was awaiting news on any developments concerning Rachel's illness. "Colonel, Dr Fraiser told me to..." Jack was out of the door and half way to the infirmary before the officer had finished.

"Janet!?" Jack asked urgent for some good news.

"I have some thing, for sure now."

"What?"

"It's risky and I'm not sure if it will actually work, before ..."

"What is it?"

"Well we've been running some test, and the cells within the samples we took were affect by something here on Earth too."

"So?"

"So, as she got worse the state of her cells within the blood samples got worse, but we've been running some tests and her cells in the sample reverted back to normal after a while. I had to check if the disease would kill her before reverting back to normal..."

"And?"

"And I'm not sure, it'll be a close call."

"But she might get over the disease if she stays here"

"Yes, but I'm not sure if it'll kill her first or not and if it works she'll get worse before she gets better" Janet said, Jack ran out of the infirmary and to the control room so that he could dial out and get Rachel back here as soon as possible and get her cured, she might not get cured but Jack wanted to at least try it out, if she gets too bad he'll take her back, and him and Sam will stay off world with her. Jack knew this was a big risk and could kill her but it was the only was out of the situation that he could see apart from living off world and being miserable the whole time and he did want that. Jack went back and found Sam and Rachel in the medical base. "Hi, you're back earlier than I expected" Jack ignored Sam and picked Rachel up and headed for the Stargate "Jack, what are you doing?"

"Taking her to Earth."

"You can't." Sam sounded alarmed, as she followed him out of the base, Jod'rell spotted them leaving and also followed

"Look Sam trust me, she'll be OK"

"Where are you going?" Jod'rell asked. Jack ignored him, Sam answered

"Earth"

"What, you can't!"

"Stop me!" Jack shouted at him.

"Dad, will I get sick again?"

"Yes, but we're hoping we can stop that if you come back, if you want to come back"

"I want what ever you want" she replied

Jack got to the Stargate and opened it to Earth, he didn't bother with the GDO signal as he didn't have a GDO with him and he told Hammond to keep the iris open as it'll be him, Hammond didn't have time to object as he'd left before he could. Jack and Rachel come through he Stargate, now it was a case of waiting and hoping.

To Be Continued

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sara B