Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Sliding Doors

by Sandra
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sliding Doors

Sliding Doors

by Sandra

Title: Sliding Doors
Author: Sandra
Email:MishaNova2000@aol.com
Category: Sam/Daniel
Spoilers: Wow, I'm actually spoiling others! Okay, for Upgrades.
Season/Sequel Info: Season 4
Content Warning: Ramble. m/f
Rating: PG-13
Summary: I couldn't resist, I really, really couldn't.
Disclaimer: I own the blanket in the story. How's that?
Feedback: Well, D'uh!
Author's Notes: Just saw the movie for the 3rdtime. Thought it would be good to get back to writing. Wrote. There you go. Done. Oh, and it would make more sense if you saw the movie Sliding Doors. Thought you should know.
Archive: Sure. Ah, the archive -- where old stories come to die.. .. No, wait, that's elephants.

"Were you successful in destroying the ship?"

"Indeed we were, GeneralHammond."

"Good. Report to the infirmary..."

"Uh, General, Sir, about the obviously impending court-martials I'd like to--"

"You were all under the influence of an alien technology, Colonel, that's a pretty solid defense."

"Even so, I'm sorry."

"Me, too."

"Me three."

"I have no need to apologize."

"Teal'c was actually following orders."

"Of course he was."

_________________________________

"Don't just trust something; believe in it."

_________________________________

Under the influence of alien technology.

It was a good an excuse as any.

Daniel rubbed his eyes, quietly fidgeting with the scruffy, grey afghan. He couldn't sleep, thoughts of recent events did a hell-of-a-job keeping him wide awake. She said good night. He knew she meant goodbye.

Daniel shifted, grabbing for the remote.

Close. Few steps away. Mere meters. Only a few steps. Whole stairway.

He skipped so many steps. Stupid, stupid mistake.

He cringed and quickly turned on the TV. Must stop thinking. Distraction.

The dark room suddenly secured a light glow, shadows playing across the walls as the scenes on the screen interchanged. A reminder for a movie popped up and Daniel pressed the okay button. A soft moan from the bedroom startled him and he completely muted the volume.

Don't wake up. Please, don't wake up yet. Give me time.

Daniel exhaled softly when no further sound came and forced his eyes to watch the screen. A girl was getting on a train, dropped her earring, lost her chance. Split second. So many what ifs. So many possibilities. Only one outcome, though. Always the same, can't change. Right?

Can't change all the other realities, can't change tonight, can't change probability.

Daniel watched the film absentmindedly. Her voice still lingered in his mind. An evening (only an evening, Daniel?) ruined. His fault.

"Well, at least we can't say he wasn't hurt in the line of duty." She had said and he had laughed as they signed a get-well card for Siler. Jack sent flowers. Never sent flowers when he hurt Daniel. Sam. Teal'c. Maybe they didn't matter to him. Maybe he didn't think it would make a difference. Maybe.

Maybe the girl would get on the train. Get on the train. He's cheating on you! You're living a lie! Get on the train!

A girl got on the train. A girl was left behind. Walk through the doors.

"I'm sure Siler will come up with a good fishing story." Daniel had said as Sam tapped her pen on the table distractedly. Daniel had grinned and watched her fingers gently grip the thin metal.

The girl met a guy. He picked up the earring. You know what Monty Python says. You never know when a Spanish Inquisition will come along.

"Never did get to finish my book." Sam had said with a small wave of her hand as her lips curved into a playful smile. Daniel had nodded. Influence. He had observed her face for a long time, the shy smile as she talked about the brawl, the ruined walls, Janet.

"Want something to drink?" Daniel had asked. Didn't want to think about Janet. Hurt her. All of them. Jack. Influence.

"Um. .. sure. .." Sam had looked at him a little insecurely. Wrong. He had stood up and asked a safe question.

"Diet coke?" Daniel grinned mischievously as she gave him an innocent look. Gonna fix it.

"Uh huh. .. What? I--"

"Like the flavor better, I know." He had finished for her and scampered off to the kitchen. He knew. Diet coke. Loved it.

The girl found a glass in the hamper. The girl got a new job. Worked hard to support him while he wrote. Never gonna finish the novel, you know that. Cheated. Split second. Walk through the sliding doors, meet him, let him pick up the earring. Don't collapse.

"Did you and Sha're fight over little things?" Sam had asked, circling her fingers over the bowl of popcorn. Daniel had spoke about the worst fight Sha're and he ever had. Anniversary. Such short time. Fights waste time. Didn't like them. Time was precious.

"There wasn't much to fight over." Daniel had shrugged. Memories were never gonna go away. "She liked to fight about dinner, though." He had smiled and Sam had laughed. Encore. All night. Laugh and smile. Smile and laugh.

"Ouch, it's 2 already." Sam had said, noticing the clock. Daniel didn't know it had been that late. Time flew by. As usual. "Wanna crash here? I don't want anyone knocking at my door saying they caught you driving under the influence of soda." She had chuckled and leaned against the sofa, her legs accidentally brushing against Daniel's. They had sat on the floor, eating popcorn out of a large party bowl intervening between them. The carpet was so soft, her voice was so soft, the ticking of the grandfather clock was so soft. .. her lips were so soft. He had kissed her, felt her push away from him in shock.

Just get away from him already! Take the train, listen to your friend, go out. He doesn't love you. You started your own business, you're free, you're independent, don't take him back. He's not the one, you met the one on the train. Quit your job. Come home. See him cheating. Split second to change your life. Split second to see his flesh grinding against another.

"I'm sorry." He had said as she held her hand to her lips incredulously. Her hand gently dropped to her knees as she leaned in, watching him, scared, confused, curious. He made a mistake. He gave her a challenge, a mystery to solve. A 'what if?'. He gave her himself.

She had pressed her lips against his, pulling her body closer to his, her warm chest touching his, arms wrapping around his neck. A whole stairway at whose end there was a sliding door. Split second. Decision. Ruin a friendship? Live your life not knowing, not taking the chance?

The girl died. She died and lost no matter what. Hit by a car after he told her he loved her. A girl woke up in the hospital. Left the lies and deceit. Met him. He picked up an earring. You know what Monty Python always says. You never know when a Spanish Inquisition will come along.

Daniel had decided. One moment. Leading to love and happiness? Perhaps. He had wrapped his arms around her waist, his kiss deepening as he smiled against her lips. They managed to stumble to the bedroom, collapsing to the bed, making love slowly, deliberately, passionately. She had kissed his forehead. Chaste, like a friend, closing her eyes, murmuring softly.

"Good night, Daniel."

She had said good night. Did she mean goodbye?

Daniel turned the TV off and sat up, running his hands through his hair.

He had jumped and ran down the stairway. Or was it up? Gotta walk through the doors at the right moment. He drew a breath, closed his eyes tightly and walked through.

Don't just trust something; believe in it.

Daniel blinked hard a few times, stood up and walked to the bedroom, a slight breeze washing over him as he opened the doors to the darkened bedroom. He glanced at her sleeping physique, her curves outlined by the soft moonlight, golden curls stirring across her forehead. She opened her eyes, two blue sparkles staring at him.

Alien technology. Influence. It'll be okay, Sam, we have an excuse. I'm sorry. I should have left. Never should have. ..

He should have prepared something. Not be so damn speechless. Explain yourself. Apologize.

He stood in the doorway, frozen, watching her observing him until she stretched and smiled impishly.

"You coming back to bed, Daniel? Sometime in this century?" she sleepily arched against the warmed silk sheets.

He smiled.

He walked in at the right time.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sandra