Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

After the Spring

by Samantha Petersen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
spring2

After the spring

by Samantha Petersen

TITLE: After the spring
AUTHOR:Samantha Petersen
EMAIL: Sampeterse@aol.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Vignette sequel to Avalon Moon
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: None given
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

The roller coaster whoosh of the stargate ride ended with Captain Samantha Carter and Colonel Jack O'Neill stepping into the embarkation room within moments of each other. Their teammates, Daniel Jackson and Teal'C were already talking to General Hammond. A loud metallic click sounded in the room as the iris closed, a barrier to stop any unwanted travelers from accessing the military installation. The wormhole disengaged behind them as they made their way down the ramp to join the others.

"Debriefing in thirty," General George Hammond ordered the four team members. "Then Doctor Fraiser has an afternoon of physicals planned for all of you.

All four of them groaned inwardly. None of them were looking forward to that afternoon.

"Dismissed." Hammond turned and headed into the hallway outside the gate room.

"Let's get out of our gear. We've got a fun filled afternoon ahead of us." O'Neill led the team out of the room.

***

Sam was slipping her clothes back on when Doctor Janet Fraiser came back into the exam room. "Anything you want to talk about, Sam?" she asked as she closed the door.

Carter arched an eyebrow at her. "Like?"

"Come on, Sam, this is your doctor you're talking to. You've been my patient for most of the time you've been here. Can you really think I wouldn't notice anything different in a post mission physical?"

Sam's mouth opened, forming an O, but nothing came out. Her gaze dropped, suddenly finding the covering on the exam table fascinating.

"Sam, you can talk to me, you know that right?" Fraiser moved to the table. "Not only as doctor/patient, but as friends. You weren't forced were you?"

Sam's head snapped back up. "No ... no ... no..." She shook her head. "Nothing like that ... we ... we came in during one of their celebrations..." Her words trailed off then picked up again. "Can you keep this out of the official report? I'd rather not have to explain..."

"Sam, you know..."

"Please, Janet. You know for yourself this isn't something that happens all the time. And it won't happen again. I just can't explain this to the others. And to go with military policy of 'don't ask, don't tell,' it's better if you could..." Carter tried to convince the other woman.

Janet sighed, playing with her pen. She remained silent for several long moments.

"Please," Sam nearly pleaded with her.

"All right, this one time. I'm still here if you need to talk." Janet offered. "That's all the tests for today. I heard a rumor that SG-1 has the next three days off."

"That sounds like a treat. Go home, sleep in a real bed." She slid off the exam table. "Was that a rumor or orders from the General?"

"Orders. We'll see you and the others in three days. Not before." Fraiser turned and headed out of the room.

***

Later that evening, Sam put the finishing touches on the warm fire which heated her apartment. Picking up the glass of wine she'd poured herself earlier, she settled onto the couch. Pulling her knees up, she adjusted her robe, then reached for the book she was planning on starting that night.

A knock at the door broke the silence of the apartment. With a muttered curse, she got up to see who was knocking on her door at that time of the night. She glanced through the peakhole. She blinked in surprise as she saw O'Neill on the other side of the door.

"Colonel," she greeted as she opened the door, allowing him entrance to her apartment.

"I didn't wake you did I?" he softly asked as he entered.

"No, actually I was just about to start some reading. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"Beer would be good if you have it." He shifted awkwardly just a few feet inside the door.

"That I do. Have a seat and make yourself comfortable." She gestured to the couch as she headed into the kitchen to get him the drink.

Coming back into the living room, an awkward silence settled over them. Sam toyed with her wine glass, staring into the flames until she could feel Jack's intense gaze settle on her. She turned her head and met his eyes. "Sir?"

"I told you we would talk. Now that I'm here, I really don't know where to start..." he began, then trailed off.

"That never would have happened if we hadn't been under the influence of the wine and the magic they'd woven..." Sam quietly started.

"Are you sure of that? It probably wouldn't have happened this soon without that push, but we both know we wanted it. But we're both good soldiers, we kept our feelings pushed back and hidden. It's like those people knew." Jack shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

"So they lowered our barriers? For what good? It's not like that can continue. We're both career military.."

"That we are. So do we pretend like nothing happened or do we see where this will take us? Keep this hidden from everyone but ourselves?"

Carter looked up at him in surprise. "You'd want to do that?" she whispered.

"I have been for a while, to tell you the truth. I can't really say it's love yet, but I've been wanting to get to know you as more than just my Captain for some time. You're one of the strongest and smartest women I've ever met."

A blush settled over her cheeks as her gaze dropped. "Wow..." she whispered softly.

"I won't push. The choice is yours. Do you want to try and pretend the other night never happened?" he softly asked, almost as if he were afraid of spooking her.

Her gaze slowly met his again. "No," she truthfully answered. "I couldn't do that if I wanted to."

He nodded slowly. Finishing his bottle of beer, he stood up, then leaned over her, gently kissing her. "I want to do this right," he told her. "We'll take this slowly, get to know each other outside of the job. Goodnight, Samantha..." He kissed her one more time, then headed for the door.

Sam stood up and followed him. "Goodnight, Jack." She smiled softly to him as he let himself out. Once the door was shut and locked behind him, Sam walked back over to the couch. A small part of her brain was telling her this could be the biggest mistake of her life. Her heart, on the other hand, was telling her nothing else had ever felt so right.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Samantha Petersen