Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

SGIC

by Sam Davies
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
SGIC

SGIC

by Sam Davies

TITLE: SGIC
AUTHOR: Sam Davies
E-MAIL:mawsel@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack, Humour
SPOILERS: None known
SEASON/SEQUEL: 1.Whispers from the past 2.Kareoke Bar?3.SGIC
RATING: PG..(If that even)
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f
SUMMARY: Recalled from an extended leave for a meeting of all personnel
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis .....YES!!!!! Any other tell me first
DISCLAIMER: Most of these characters and settings aren't mine, way too well written for me to invent. Not getting paid for this.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Boy these short stories develop a life of their own and keep growing
As per usual with my stories, As I am from an alternate universe, any inconsistencies are due to my universe being different from yours.


Chapter 1

As SG1 entered the recreation room they could see it was set up to hold nearly the entire complement of the Base, both Civilian and Military. Which indicated that whatever was going to happen was Major, affecting all people.

Jack had tried to see the General first thing that morning. Being Second-In-Command, he thought Hammond would have been inclined to let him in on the facts, however, this was not the case. General Hammond met him at the door, and before Jack could speak informed him that he was under strict orders not to discuss details with any person before the mid day conference, and would appreciate the Colonel respecting his intention of obeying that order.

Jack knew when he would be wasting his time to try and dig for details, so saluted his friend and Commanding Officer and volunteered to act as buffer for him deflecting as much as possible.

"Colonel, I would appreciate you doing that, I have been fielding inquiries all morning and need to get certain details done by mid day. If you can handle the inquiries on my behalf you have my full authority to make any and all decisions."

"Sweet General, Can I order Pizza on your account for all the Base?" Jack quipped as the General turned away, which only earned a chuckle from his friend.

Shortly after Teal'c and Daniel entered looking for him, having exhausted every other hiding place they could think of.

"Well" asked Daniel wondering what information Jack had uncovered.

"Well, nothing." Jack replied. "Before I could ask, Hammond told me he had been ordered not to discuss this meeting with anybody, period. I respected his position and volunteered to block all interlopers. At the rate this phone has been ringing, nobody knows what's happening.



Chapter 2



Shortly before mid day the General left his office indicating they should all proceed to the meeting, not giving any information away. However he did speak quietly to the Colonel as they went.

Colonel O'Neill stood at the podium trying to get order.

"All right people, if you would all take your seats we need to get under way. General Hammond will be here in a moment and he has stressed we need to be on time."

At that point a Sergeant stationed at the door stepped in and barked "Attention"

All the military stood up at attention, (Ever heard of the Pavlov Dog reflex).

General Hammond stepped in and made his way to the podium.

"Be seated. Thank you all for making it back. I realise some had gone a long way away, and it was difficult to return on time. I know you all have many questions as to the reason for your recall. All questions will be answered by the end of this meeting. So until then I would appreciate your attention."

"I will be handing the majority of this meeting over to a Superior Officer who is at this moment making their way down to this level. Before they arrive, let me just stress the decisions that have been made were neither simple nor easy. I do believe that in the long run they are in the best interest of this establishment, and our mission. You people have done amazing deeds with little support once in the field. Amazing leap forwards have been made based on the work you have done and it has been my pleasure to serve as your Commanding Officer."

This statement caused a ripple of concern to move through the body of people. It sounded more like a 'Retirement Speech' than a 'Prep Rally'. Most people had only served under his Command since transferring in.

Just as the murmur began to become audible, General Hammond caught the nod from the Sergeant by the door and standing to attention said

"Ladies and Gentleman, our Commander and Chief, The President of The United States."

At which point the Sergeant 'barked' once again "ATTENTION"

Preceded by his Secret Service guards, the President entered the room and walked straight to the podium, offering his hand to the General.

"Thank you General, I believe you have not had an easy time keeping this meeting's purpose from leaking. I appreciate your efforts."

Turning to face the assembled Base personnel, he stood for a moment looking over the sea of faces standing before him.

"My apologies, please be seated. It is not often that I have the opportunity to find myself in the presence of what I consider to be "A Living Legend" though few may as yet know of you. Up until know you people have been names and sometimes faces in photographs attached to reports and briefings. Often only one page summaries make it to my desk, but, when they do I read, and re-read every word. I am continually amazed at the situations you people face daily. You seem to be living stories out of Science Fiction Novels that I used to read as a child."

"From those reports I realise how precarious our hold on life truly is. I know for a fact that a number of you are only alive because of 'Alien Technology'. Many of you also owe your lives to the super human efforts of your medical teams, who daily re-write the text books, facing diseases and injuries never seen before."

"This has all been done under the tightest possible security."

"But you know what they say about secrets. Any more than two people, and it's a rumour."

" Over the last couple of years, we here on Earth have had a number of near misses. First off, there was the 'In System' incident with the two attack destroyers of Apophis. Then last year there was the destruction of the Asgard Thor's ship with the Replicator bugs and the destruction of the Russian attack submarine. We had hoped that these may have gone unnoticed by other countries military and scientists."

"This was not the case, however. The launch of 'Minute Men' missiles and the explosions in space attracted the attention of many other countries peoples. The impact of the Asgard ship was registered on seismographs all around the world as well as being seen by more people than we would have liked."

"We have been approached diplomatically with an increasing level of pressure, for want of a better word, ever since Apophis's attempted attack to share information. Since the Asgard ship incident, this pressure has been growing expotentially. All countries that have been inquiring have not leaked anything to the Press, fortunately."

"When I first came into this Office I was subjected, for want of a better term, to a number of briefings, from various areas that report directly to the Oval Office. The 'Incoming President' has to decide on a number of operations. Each new President has to decide if these ones continue or are to be closed down. I will be honest; I nearly closed this facility down. I saw it as a source of danger to the peace of this world. Then a couple of sayings an old Army Instructor kept coming back to me and I realised that, he was supplying me with the answers."

"The first was 'Play your hand no matter what you're dealt, as if you're holding nothing but Aces'."

The second was 'It's better to fight the bully in his back yard than in your own'."

"It has been decided at the highest levels, that we have been ignoring the fact that as trite as it may sound, the fate of the whole world depends on the success of this Bases continued ability to take the fight to the Goa'uld. We have been denying ourselves access to the resources of other nations to assist in fighting this battle."

"Therefore, it is by Presidential decree that from this date forward the Command known as 'Star Gate Command' will cease to exist. In it's place is formed the "Star Gate International Command". This Command will draw its personal and resources from Member Nations, who will also be meeting some of the expenses incurred in maintaining this Base at peak efficiency."

"In keeping with the importantcy of this Command it is necessary to appoint an officer of the Highest Rank as it's Commanding Officer. General Hammond is aware of this need and offered me his resignation as Commanding Officer effective as of mid day today. General Hammond, please step up here with me."

Every member of SGC was stunned that the man they liked to think of as the 'Parent' of the base was stepping down. Many people, both male and female found themselves trying to blink away tears forming in their eyes. His opening statement seemed to make sense, he was saying goodbye. Goodbye to the people he thought of as his 'extended family'. People who couldn't imagine serving on this base under another officer.

"General Hammond agreed with the choice for the officer he was told would be taking his place. General Hammond, my apologies, but that was not the case. It is the unanimous decision of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and whole heartedly supported by myself that you are promoted to Brigadier General, with all the Rights, Honours, Privileges and Responsibilities that go with the Rank. You are hereby appointed to command the SGIC. We agreed there was no other Officer qualified to oversee this base."

As the President attached Hammond's extra stars on his shoulder boards all could see the look of shock give way to pride on his face. He stepped back and even though under cover and without his uniform cap, saluted the President.

"General, would you please be seated here on the stand."

"It has been decided that this bases operations will be divided into Four Areas. First will be Operations, who will oversee Off-World Operations, Intelligence and Briefings. It was felt that this would best be controlled by an officer with the most time spent off world on his record. Colonel O'Neill, will you please step up."

"Colonel O'Neill, reading from your reports, which I often request in their entirety, I realise that your field experience both on and off world are unique. You are hereby appointed as Operation's Commander. Of course this added responsibility requires some extra muscle, as you will be dealing with some powerful people on and off world. To help you with the necessary influence, you are hear by promoted to the rank of General, with all the Rights, Honours, Privileges and Responsibilities that go with that Rank."

As the President announced O'Neill's promotion, General Hammond stepped up and removed his Colonel Insignia, replacing it with single stars on each shoulder. O'Neill for once was lost for words. Never in his career had he ever thought he would make General, Colonel had come as a surprise.

'General' O'Neill turned and also saluted the President, then turned and saluted his friend and (still) Commanding Officer

"General, please be seated on the stand as well."

"Many of the technologies you are encountering are of a magnitude far greater than what we have, I personally am amazed we comprehend their function. Therefore, the second area of this bases operations is its 'Scientific Research and Development'."

"Who better to head this Department up than the person who rewrote the laws of physics to develop the means to return their teams Commander. Major Carter, please step up here."

"Major Carter, you are hereby appointed as Science Research and Development Commander, You are also promoted to the Rank of Colonel, with all the Rights, Honours, Privileges and Responsibilities that go with that Rank"

As the promotion was announced, General Hammond offered General O'Neill a set of insignia to present Colonel Carter with. Instead of pinning a new set of badges, he reached into his pocket and offered her the choice, either the new set, or his old insignia. She looked dazed at the promotion, so he made the decision for her and pinned his badges to her uniform.

Stepping back he beat her to salute first, but only just. His pride in her was showing in his eyes, in fact in his whole bearing. After all she had gone through more than he had, she deserved this promotion. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time. She had earned hers.

"This Bases medical staff have performed miracles, faced daily with diseases that are not found in text books, injuries sustained in the field by weapons we have never had to face. Treating Alien Beings, whose physiology differs from us. If I am ever in need of emergency medical assistance I know whom I want near at hand. Major Janet Fraser, please step forward."

Major Fraser, You are hereby appointed as Medical Commander. You are also promoted to the rank of Colonel, with all the Rights, Honours, Privileges and Responsibilities that go with that Rank"

General Hammond stepped up to change her insignia and received her salute adding his congratulations quietly.

"Doctor Daniel Jackson, Could you please step up here."

As Daniel stepped forward, he couldn't help himself. Displaying the attribute that landed himself in so many problems he tripped as he stepped forward, but fortunately managed to catch himself in time.

"Doctor Jackson, You who broke the code that allowed us to journey to the stars. Who became our first Ambassador to another world. Who has laid his life on the line in the pursuit of knowledge. Suffered great personal loss as well. After discussions with several academics that are briefed on the existence of the Star Gate it has been decided to offer you the role of Head of Research, Linguistic/ Historical. Although you are not of the Military, this position carries with it similar Rights, Honours, Privileges and Responsibilities as a person with the rank of Colonel. You may also use that title if you wish, in your position."

"Teal'c of Chulak, would you please step up here."

As the Jaff'a stepped up along side the President, you could see a slight shuffle in the ranks of the Secret Service agents. Here was an Alien, ET if you like, coming close to the man they were sworn to protect. Teal'c looked like he could do some serious damage before any of them could react.

"Teal'c, I understand you have been branded traitor on your home world. Your family turned out and shunned. Your child nearly died because he could not get the assistance he needed to live. All this because you did what any man of honour would do. You refused to obey an order that was wrong. You have pledged your life to defeating of your former masters."

At this the Jaff'a simply bowed his head slightly, acknowledging that the President had stated the truth.

"I also believe it is your wish to explore our world, but this has been difficult as you have no 'Legal Identity' on this world."

Again Teal'c bowed his head.

"I wish then to show our appreciation for what you have given up, and what you have done whilst you have been here, by offering you these. Citizenship papers for you and your family, if you choose to bring them here. With these you have the ability to move around freely as you wish. It is also hoped you will assist all the departments with your knowledge of Goa'uld Tactics, History and Technology."

To those who knew this 'quiet gentle giant', his silence was not a rejection but more , a shock at what was offered him. His bow of accept was slow and low signifying the honour he felt.

"Folks, what happened here today, was not a death of something you all knew and were comfortable with. Rather it is the metamorphous into the next stage, from here you now have room to grow more, learn more, do more. All I can say is be patient as the growth starts, allow for some growing pains."

Turning and facing the new Command team

"General I look forward to each and every report you send. Again 'Congratulations' on your promotions. You all deserve them."

"Now you will have to excuse me. I am supposed to be in conference with officers of the Space Command above. That was the cover story used for my visit here today. I guess I had better put in an appearance. Next time any of you new commanders are in Washington, plan on visiting me at the White House. OK?"



Chapter 3



The meeting had adjourned with the departure of the president and his party.

What came next was an impromptu celebration for those promoted. Between them they had been the most respected and admired people in the facility. That they had been so honoured was reason enough to celebrate.

As the celebrations drew to a close, Hammond indicated that he wanted to meet with all Department Heads, Old and New, as well as all SG team commanders. The influx of new personnel and materials meant some serious plans needed to be made.

As the last of the people entered the conference room and the door was closed General Hammond looked around at all the people present. For him they were almost his family, none more so than the four misfits of SG-1.

"People, we have a lot to organise before we have the new arrivals on our hands, some of whom are already on their way here now. We will have a Departmental meeting tomorrow at 0800 hours, but first let me say before we break up"

"I mean it when I said it has been an honour serving with each and every one of you people. You make me proud, watching you folks go about your duties, without any major complaints. You face the most monumental tasks as if they are anthills. Each day as I have watched you strive, has given me the strength I have needed to carry my share of the load."

"Thank you, each and every one of you."

Jack stood up before General Hammond could say any more, interrupting.

"General, I know we haven't been the easiest bunch to have commanded. We have probably been responsible for more sleepless nights for you than any commander in history. Add to that the cost of all the antacid medication you have had to take and that says a lot. We thought for a moment today, we were about to lose you as our commander. We just want you to know, we all consider it OUR Honour and Privilege to have served under your command."

"Here, here." "Amen to that Jack" "Couldn't agree more" echoed around the room.

"Before I hand back to the General, there is one other thing I want to say, before this group of my friends gets disbanded. General I was going to come in and see you this morning anyway. I was holding my resignation in my pocket. I mean, I have already left twice. I thought maybe third time lucky. I guess you just don't want me to leave. I was going to resign, However Sir, It will be my privilege to continue to serve."

"Thank you General O'Neill" General Hammond replied. "I'm not sure what it is but for some reason that fills me with a sense of dread" he quipped. "General? I believe tradition calls for you to stand a round of drinks, so why don't we meet say at 2000 hrs at McQuires?"

"Yes Sir." Answered all present. Was going to be an expensive night for those who had to stand a round.

"General? Could you meet me at my house before you go to the party, say at 1900?" Jack asked

"Certainly, son." A puzzled Hammond responded before leaving.

Jack turned and faced the rest of his team.

"Guys, how about we meet at my house for a private celebration before we go to the main party? Say about 1900?"

All agreed to be there and left to start making things ready for the arrival of the new personnel.

Jack made his way to see Janet before heading to his own office. The new structure would mean a lot of work for all concerned before the base was back to normal operations.



Chapter 4



As Jack made sure everybody's favourite drinks were ready for their arrival, beads of sweat formed on his forehead.



The sound of the doorbell broke into is musing. < Well I guess it's too late>

Opening the door he saw General Hammond and his wife at the door, and Sam coming up the path.

"General, Mrs Hammond. Welcome. Please come inside. Hi Sam." Standing back to allow them all to enter.

"Jack, Sam, I don't think either of you have met my wife, Joyce? Joyce these are two of my people who were promoted today General Jack O'Neill and Colonel Samantha Carter, she's Jacob's daughter."

"Congratulations both of you. George talks of you all the time. Samantha, I met you many years ago when you were about nine years old, but it is good to see you again." Joyce Hammond replied.

'Thank you Joyce, and yes I do remember meeting you very vaguely, I wish I could have caught up with you before now." Sam answered

"General, I seem to remember you have a liking for Single Malt Scotch Whisky and if my memory is correct Joyce, you like a chilled Chardonnay wine?" Jack asked

"Very good, Jack and seeing how we are now both Generals you can get away with calling me George. Has the enormity of your rank settled on you yet, Jack?" George asked as they fixed the drinks

"God, no." Jack answered shaking his head. "I joined after coming through the ROTC in College. Being made Colonel was a big shock to my system. Never thought I would make it to General, never in a million years."

"You and the others deserve your promotions, have no doubt about that, Jack."

Just then the bell rang again saving Jack from answering, a little nervous at the attention his promotion was bringing him.

"Come in you Guy's. Don't just stand there."

As the rest of the friends entered, Jack felt that in closing the door, even for a short time, he could ignore all the problems outside and enjoy what was to come.

Seeing all his friends had drinks Jack moved in front of the fire hearth and stood with his glass in his hands.

"Guys, I asked you all here tonight before we go on to the promotion celebrations for a couple of reasons." Jack started nervously.

"When I joined this unit, I was a burnt out wreck. You all know my story. Since then you have become more than my friends, more than my family. After tonight we are going to have to separate. We will still be working together but not as a unit. I am going to miss that. I want you to know that."

"Secondly, George, I want you to know I meant every word today. With out you there we never would have done all that we have. You have been everything any soldier could ask for in a Commanding Officer. Your actions have commanded our respect, not just our obedience.

"Third, George. I will have to be absent from the base in about three weeks for a couple of weeks. After discussions with our good Doctor here, I am going to undergo surgery on this stupid knee. It will mean that I have a few more years of work left in me."

"Lastly, and by far the most important reason I wanted you all here was to witness this."

Jack moved over beside Sam, who was sitting on the arm of a chair.

"Samantha, for a long time we have danced around our feelings toward each other. I can only speak for my own, but ever since that first day, when you faced me down in the briefing room I have admired and respected your work and dedication. At times I didn't care about my own career, but never wanted to jeopardise yours. So I remained silent. Over the past twenty-four hours we have bought our feelings for each other out and allowed ourselves to examine them. I don't want to put mine away again. I don't think I can. We are no longer in a command line situation and so would not be in violation of any Rules and Regulations."

Pausing to catch his breath, Jack looked down into those beautiful blue eyes that were shining with moisture at him as he spoke. Slowly he went down on one knee.

"Samantha, this ring was worn by my Great Grand Mother who came over from Ireland in the 1800's. It has been handed down through the family since. It was lost just before I met Sarah, and came to light about six months ago. I think Great Grand Mother knew something." Jack said with a small laugh

"Samantha, In front of our friends and those I like to think of as family I would like to know. Would you take this ring as a sign that you could be willing to spend the rest of your life with this broken down old soldier? I have little to offer aside from a heart that would be all yours, a love that will burn brighter than all the stars in the milky way, and a desire to protect you from any pain and suffering. I know I have caused some in the past, but if you could look beyond those times, I would be honoured if you would agree to be my wife."

Jack stood there, without realising it, not even breathing. Waiting for this angel in front of him to give him a reason to breathe, to live.

Sam looked up into eyes she knew so well. Eyes that showed to her all the love he had been hiding inside. Showed his love, fear, hope. She slowly stood and faced him, oblivious to all else in the room.

"I don't know Jack." She answered softly

Gasps came from more than one person in the room.

"I can't decide on Samantha Carter-O'Neill or Samantha O'Neill-Carter." She teasingly answered

In an expression typically O'Neill, all that was heard was a

"Sweet!"



The End???????



Am considering if I would cover the wedding or not. If you want me to, drop me a line and tell me. Good, bad or indifferent I don't mind. Even flames mean that at least some one has read this

If enough people respond I have a few ideas to explore in the alternate universe that contains the SGIC.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sam Davies