Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

At a Cost

by Sahara
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
At a Cost

At a Cost

by Sahara

TITLE: At a Cost
AUTHOR: Sahara
EMAIL:sahara@iprimus.com.au
CATEGORY: Hurt/Comfort, Angst, Drama, Romance
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, mfrelationship,
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SUMMARY: Sam and Jack's newfound relationship comes at a price - a price payed
by the inocent.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:Erm... Thanks to my fiance Gareth for reading this, and my other stories, giving me the confidence to post them :) As always, if you have comments, etc, please e-mail me! Thanks and enjoy the story!

"Sam," he called, his voice low and saddened.

Keeping her back to him, she replied in much the same manor, yet, with a hint of anger in her trembling voice. "What..."

"Sam, I'm sorry," said the silhouetted figure standing at the doorway.

"Yeah, well, so am I."

"I didn't mean for this to happen, it wasn't meant to happen. You know that just as well as I do!" He stated, taking a few more steps into the dark room.

"So you're saying it was a mistake then?"

"Yes... No! I mean, I don't know Sam, I really don't." He sighed.

"Did you want it, Jack?" She asked, still not able to turn around and face him, scared to show him the sadness painted on her face.

"Yes, I did..." He trailed off.

"Then why? Why is this happening!" Sam shook her head, then slammed her fist onto the cold desk.

"I don't know, Carter," He replied, slipping back into their roles of Colonel and Major for comfort.

"You are right though, sir. This shouldn't have happened. It's all our fault. You should have just left me there!" She half-yelled, sobs being heard in between her words.

"No! It is my responsibility to see that every member of my team comes back alive!" He retorted, anger beginning to fill his voice as well.

"What, and just let a whole civilization get wiped out, Colonel?" Sam barked, putting the emphases of the sentence on the Colonel's rank.

Jack took another step into the room, "Hey, I'd appreciate a little respect here, Major!"

Pausing for a brief second, she mumbled, "Yes, sir..."

"Look Carter, what's done is done. There's nothing we can do about it now."

"Maybe, but we can stop it from happening again in the future."

"Sorry?" Jack questioned slowly, positive he knew what was coming next.

"Us Jack... If we hadn't gotten involved, you wouldn't have been so quick to save me and risk the lives of those other people." She answered, walking over to a corner, staring at the wall.

"No, don't do this, Sam!"

"Do what, sir? Our job? The one thing we have been trained for our entire lives, and up till a few days ago did better than anyone else? I don't see anything wrong with doing our job, Colonel."

"No, listen to me! What happened on Triegron was a mistake! A lapse of judgment. C'mon, you know I have those at the best of times! But, it won't happen again, I promise. At least not when it comes to our relationship."

"You can't be certain, sir..."

"No, maybe not." He whispered, walking over to her, and placing his hands on her shoulders. "But I do know that you mean more to me than anything else. And I will do everything in my power to stop anything like this from happening again, just so I can be with you."

Sam just hung her head even lower, not saying a word. Tears streamed down her face like a small waterfall, as she tried so desperately not to let the Colonel know she was crying. But she failed.

He slowly turned her around, and looked into her eyes, the tears on her cheek glistening from the small amount of light in the hallway. He placed his hand on the side of her face, and wiped away a stray droplet of sadness from her cheek. And then placed his forehead against hers.

"Sam, please..." Was all he could say, overwhelmed with emotion himself, hating to see the woman he loved in tears.

Samantha just stayed there for a moment, then lunged forward into his arms, loosing all self control. Jack placed his hand on the back of her head, as she held on tight, never to let go.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sahara