Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Irish Man

by Ravital A
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Irish Man

Irish Man

by Ravital.A

TITLE: Irish Man
AUTHOR: Ravital.A
EMAIL: ravitala@sitqad.co.il
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS:
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: PG13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Language
SUMMARY: A new colonel comes to the SGC
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

"It's good to have you back SG-1." Hammond's voice echoed through the gate room.

"It's good to be back sir," I answered with a grin.

"Very good to be back," murmured Sam under her lip.

"What was that Major?"

"Nothing sir, just talking to myself" she answered with a sigh as she made her way to the locker room. I watched her with an angry look. What was with her lately?

"Colonel I would like to see you in my office in an hour."

"Understood sir" great, just what I needed, yet another post mission 'talk'. It seems the general and myself are having more then a few of these lately.

After I showered, changed and passed by the med lab for my post mission injection (Janet always has that smirk on her face when she asks me to drop'em) I made my way to the general's office. My mood was way up, and I was hoping he wouldn't have any bad news for me. Boy was I wrong.

"Come in colonel" he answered to my soft knock on his door. I gave him a salute as I entered.

"You asked to see me...Sir? What the hell are you doing here O'Connor?" My smile faded and I folded my hands over my chest as I stared in to the smug face of Colonel Rory O'Connor, one of the most despicable, competitive, cynical people I know. He is shorter then I am, with black hair and green eyes. I suppose some woman may find him attractive. I met him during basic training, and we have been 'at war' ever since. That man just got on my nerves.

"I gather you two have met? Colonel O'Connor is Colonel Makepeace's replacement."

"You have got to be kidding me." great, just what I needed.

"A problem Colonel?" why is he looking at me like that? I hate that fatherly look the general gets on his face when I'm in trouble.

"Oh, no ... no problem Sir." Not one I can say out loud without sounding like a spoiled little child. Well you see general it's like this: I don't like him. Why? Just because.

"Before I assign Colonel O'Connor to his team I want you to show him the ropes. Take him on the next mission to PX4-902, show him how it's done. "

"Take HIM on a mission with SG-1 sir?" what have I done to deserve this?

"Come on O'Neill! It could be fun!" O'Connor said as he slapped me on the back, "Don't worry sir, Jacky-boy and me are old buddies, we'll do just fine!" Jacky-boy? This guy has a death wish.

"Good. So it's settled. Have a good day gentlemen." and with that the general shifted his attention to some papers and the conversation was over.

"Happy to see me Jacky-boy?" was the first thing out of O'Connor's mouth as we left the room.

"Not particularly." I frowned.

"What? You're still afraid of some good old Irish competition?" One-day I'll wipe that smug smile off his face.

"Put a sock in it O'Connor!"

"Temper, temper O'Neill!" God how I hate this guy!

"For crying out loud," I murmured to myself but apparently Rory heard me.

"Still using that old sentence I see, you really should learn to move with the times O'Neill"

This is going to be a very long mission.

I did everything in my power to avoid Rory the next day, but it seemed that where ever I went there he was, charming the woman, making buddies with the men, annoying the hell out of me.

It was 2 hours before the mission; it was time to introduce him to my team. I sat at the briefing room with Teal'c waiting for the others to arrive. I always liked to be there a few minutes early, and it seems Teal'c shared my opinion.

"We have another SGC member coming with us for the ride this time"

"I am aware of that. I have met Colonel O'Connor yesterday" he met him already? When did he have time to do that?

"So...what did you think of him?"

"I found him to be a most pleasing person" pleasing? I refuse to believe that Teal'c was caught in the fake charm of that guy. I could hear Sam laughing on the other side of the door from a comment made by a painfully familiar voice. Rory opened the door and held it open for Sam as he continued with his story.

"So then he just raised his hands, dropped his weapons, pulled out a cigarette and started smoking with the guy!" Sam burst out laughing, obviously from the punch line to whatever story Rory was telling her.

"Come on Rory! You're just pulling my leg. That could never have happened"

"I swear to it Sam!"

Rory? Sam? When did those two started calling each other by first names? Come to think of it... when did they even meet??

They sat next to each other; way to close in my humble opinion, continuing their conversation like Teal'c and me weren't even there. I was going to say something but then the door flow open and Daniel entered the room.

"Daniel! It's good to see you again." Rory greeted him with a warm smile. Again? What the hell is going on here? When did he have time to get to know MY team?

"Good to see you again too Rory. I still have a little hangover from last night though. I'll know better then to go drinking with an Irishman next time" now that one I just couldn't pass up.

"Hangover?" I gave Daniel an icy look.

"Um...well we met Rory at lunch yesterday and he mentioned he would be coming with us today... and one thing let to another... and we decided to go out for a drink to let everyone get to know each other. We figured you wouldn't want to get hammered the night before a mission." Why do I have the feeling Rory figured that for them? My team, going out to drinks with another colonel, I feel so betrayed!

"Okay, enough chit chat, time to get down to business "

"He always was a party pooper" I heard Rory whispering to Sam, and her giggling in response.

"Anything you want to share with the rest of us Colonel O'Connor?" Look what he's done to me. I've turned into my 2nd grade teacher.

"Oh... nothing that would interest you teach!" and there it was on his face again, that annoying smug look.

I conducted the briefing as professionally as I could, despite Rory's constant cynical comments; didn't his mother teach him how to act in public?

"And that's it. We will meet in the gate room at 09:00 full gear, that includes you O'Connor." As I gathered my notes and went out the door I heard Rory whisper to Sam:

"Thank god that's over! Is he always this boring?" I expected no less from him, but Sam's reaction to that comment took me completely by surprise.

"You have no idea," she said with an evil smile as they both laughed at my expense. I really do hate that guy.

***

I have to admit, it was rather amusing seeing Rory after his first stargate ride. I though that greenish color suited him.

"I guess you shouldn't have had that big breakfast huh? Rory-boy." I said with an evil smile. Sam on the other hand rushed to his side and helped him get up.

"It happens to everyone on the first time Rory, don't give it a second thought." she said as she handed him a handkerchief.

"It's not so bad once you get used to it" Added Daniel from his position at the DHD.

"You couldn't have given me a warning O'Neill?" He gave me an angry look. So it slipped my mind, it's not like it could kill him. And it really was funny, from my point of view anyway.

We spent the remaining hours till sunset exploring the area, actually Daniel and myself were exploring. Teal'c was covering our backs as always but Rory and Sam, they were in a world of their own. They kept talking to each other in secret, whispering things no one could hear. And what annoyed me most of all ... she kept laughing at his jokes!

We both sat next to Sam around the fire that night. But her attention was focused on Rory. I'm really starting to wonder what those two are talking about.

"I'll take the first shift" Said Rory suddenly.

"Why don't I join you, it's easier to stay awake when you have company" Sam, you dog!

"Fine, I'm going to sleep" I replayed with an angry tone. What do I care? Let them spend the rest of the night talking their heads off. It didn't mean anything I didn't care.... Right? Wrong.

I spent the next 2 hours shifting and turning in my sleeping bag. The thought of them, together, got my blood boiling. Finally I got up; a quick glance in the direction of Sam's sleeping bag confirmed my suspicions. They were together, alone. I will kill him! I heard the quiet voices coming from the darkness as I silently approached them

"Rory we shouldn't do this, not like this"

"But I want it so much Sam!" I will kill him and then leave his body to rot!

"I know... I want it too Rory!" and that sentence felt like someone punched me in the stomach. For some strange reason I was having trouble standing up and needed to lean on a tree to catch my breath. The world was dancing around me. How could she do this to me? And with him? Slowly I traced my steps back to camp, got into my sleeping bag, and stared at the darkness the rest of the night.

The walk back to the stargate the next morning was filled with sarcastic comments, bouncing back and forth, from me to Rory and back again. I couldn't even sort out all the things I was feeling, but hurt was way up there on the list. After a while Rory and Sam took position at the middle of the group, quietly talking, me and Daniel were leading and Teal'c walked last as always.

"What's with you today Jack?" Daniel looked at me with a concerned look.

"Nothing." I snapped.

"It looks like a lot more then nothing to me" he continued.

"Will you two stop messing around and get a move on?" I shouted at Sam's direction.

"Yes sir!" she answered but did nothing to shorten the space between them and us.

"You're jealous!" Daniel looked at me with astonishment.

"Don't be ridicules Danny! I don't care that they spend so much time together!" oops. I guess that line proved the opposite.

"I didn't think I'd live to see the day that Jack O'Neill was actually jealous of someone. And another colonel! Think of the scandal..."

"Not another word Daniel!" I tried to sound as threatening as I could, and I guess it worked since all I got from Daniel till we reached the stargate was an annoying look.

"That wasn't so bad," said Rory as we got home.

"I told you it gets better" Sam was smiling at him, one of those amazing smiles of hers.

How come one of those gate-jumps, worm collapse things never happens when you need them...?

I gave then both an angry look as I made my way to the showers. At least one good thing came out of this mission - I got to shower first. This has been the first time Sam didn't catch the showers before us. I guess she was too districted.

The next week was a living hell, wherever I went, there they were. I never actually saw them do anything, except talk. But that was enough to boil my blood. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

Wednesday night has been the team's night out ever since we had been a team. We sit back, watch a movie, play poker, anything, as long as it's together. I was rather waiting for this chance to be off base with my team, to finally get some R&R. you can imagine my disappointment when Daniel told me we are missing one member tonight.

"What do you mean she's not coming?"

"Don't shoot the messenger! When I asked her what time I should pick her up she said she wasn't coming. She has plans... her words not mine!"

I stormed out of the room in the direction of the lab. How can she do this? Break traditions like that?

"You mind telling me why you're not coming tonight Carter?" I burst in to her lab.

"I have a date," she answered without even lifting her head from that gizmo she was working on.

"A date?"

"Yes, you know what those are... when two grown people go out together and try to get to know each other? A date"

"You mind telling me with who?" Now that got her attention. She lifted he head from her work and gave me a blank look.

"Not that it's any of your business but I'm going out with Rory"

"Fine" was all I said as I left the room.

***

Seeing Rory's smug face when I entered the elevator the next morning destroyed my mood even before I started the day.

"Good morning O'Neill." he nodded in my direction.

"Good morning O'Connor." trapped in an elevator with that man for a long ride. I hope I won't kill him.

"You had a good time yesterday?" So shoot me, I was curious!

"Do I detect a trace of jealousy in your voice O'Neill?"

"Cut the crap Rory."

"I rocked her world." that line pushed all my buttons. I slammed him to the side of the elevator my right hand pressing on his neck.

"You hurt her, I'll hurt you O'Connor!" the look on his face made it clear I'd made my point. The elevator doors opened, Rory squirmed out of my clasp and walked out of the elevator.

"You are as blind as a bat O'Neill." he said with that stupid grin and disappeared around the corner. I was at that point when your mind doesn't do a lot of thinking. That point when you either act or perish. I walked as fast as I could (running was not an option... I am still a colonel around here, even if I'm acting like a moron) I reached Sam's lab in record time. She was talking with Daniel about something, both were concentrating on the gizmo in front of them. When I busted in both of them lifted their heads in surprise.

"Daniel, Leave." it was hard not to shout the words out. To my surprise Daniel offered no resistance. He quietly got up, picked up his stuff and started walking to the door.

"I'll be in shouting distance if you need me Sam." he said just before he shut the door behind him. The look Sam gave me after he left made it clear she wanted answers.

"You slept with him after one date?? Carter what's gone into you mind?" I guess that was stepping over the line we set for ourselves long age. I could see the rage in Sam's eyes as she quietly got up and walked to me. She looked like a bomb ready to blow, and I guess I lit the fuse.

"Red light COLONEL!" she shouted at my direction. "What I do in my private life is none of your god damn business!"

"Sam I'm not talking as your colonel! I'm talking as your friend! What went through that mind of yours? And with Rory?"

"A friend? HA!" She turned and started mumbling to herself in anger.

"Yes a friend! I thought we were friends Sam!" I was shouting my head off now.

"A friend wouldn't treat another friend like you treated me this past few weeks"

"I don't remember doing anything to you!"

"My point exactly! All you did was ignore me and disregard me ever since that Edora thing"

"And you figured that was a good enough reason to go fuck someone who you don't even know??" The hand that impacted with my face seemed to come out of nowhere. I looked at her with amazement.

"You are such an asshole, SIR!" and she stormed out of the room.

"You really are a moron O'Neill" I heard Rory's voice from behind me. "You want to know what really happened yesterday?"

I turned and studied him carefully.

"I spent 3 hours hearing stories about you," he answered without waiting for my response.

"What?"

"That's right Jack. I had to sit in a bar with an amazing woman, who only has eyes for you. If that's not hell I don't know what is." and with that he left the room.

I just stood there for a while, letting his words echo in my mind. When I finally had control over my mind and body I started looking for Sam. I finally remembered she loved to go topside when she was faced with a problem she couldn't solve. And I figured this pretty much fit the description. She was sitting up against a rock looking at the stars when I found her.

"I do not want to talk to you," she said with out moving her gaze from the stars.

"Sam, please. We have to talk."

"I have nothing to say to you!" she finally lowered her eyes to look at me. Her face held that blank expression she got when she was trying hard to control her emotions.

"Then why don't you listen?" I took her silence as agreement and I moved to sit beside her. "The thought of you with Rory, it made my blood boil. I wasn't thinking when I talked to you, I was acting."

"What do you care?" she looked at me with sparkling eyes. I could see she was fighting the tears. Not wanting to look weak in front of me. I reached one hand to touch her cheek.

"I care. Too much, more then I should."

"Nothing happened between Rory and myself. He wanted to, but I couldn't get myself to do it." she looked deep into my eyes.

"I know. He told me. The first decent thing that man ever did." to that I saw a small smile light her face.

"What is it with you two?"

"I just don't like him."

"I think you don't like him because he's so much like you."

"Like me?" I looked at her with astonishment

"Yes, just like you. He's sarcastic, thinking he always knows best, got the weirdest sense of humor, and he's good looking. I guess that's what attracted me in him at the first place"

"The fact that he was good looking?"

"No" she said silently, lowering her gaze from mine. "The fact that he reminded me of you. I missed you. But I guess there's only one O'Neill out there. One Irishman can't replace another." I gently lifted her head so her eyes were staring into mine again.

"I missed you too, Sam" and then my mind was not in control again. I leaned down and kissed her, first gently and then when I felt her need as much as my own, I deepened the kiss. When we finally broke apart she looked at me with a shy look and added:

"There is one other thing he can't do as good as you"

"Wha..." I was going to finish that sentence but she covered my mouth with hers and my brain shut down for the rest of the night.

I guess sometimes it's good to have some good old Irish competition.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ravital A.