Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Angel

by Kat H
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Little Angel

Little Angel

by Kat. H

TITLE: Little Angel
AUTHOR: Kat. H
EMAIL: kat.h@zoom.co.uk
CATEGORY: Humor, Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Small for Hathor, The Nox, Solitudes, In The Line of Duty, and a few others.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 2
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Sam come face to face with a little angel.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Hi! Please send me feed-back. It keeps me from insanity! Anything. Though no really nasty things please. My ego is very fragile.

"Medical team to the embarkation room immediately!"

Jack O'Neill didn't wait. He charged out of the gate room and headed straight for the infirmary, an unconscious Samantha Carter in his arms. Daniel Jackson and Teal'c followed closely behind. Doctor Janet Fraiser met them halfway but O'Neill never stopped or even slowed until he reached his destination.

He laid her down on a medical bed and Janet got her first look at her patient and friend. She gasped at the extent of Sam's injuries. Sam's fatigues were covered with blood. Her right side was badly burnt, the skin charred black and the material melted to the skin. Her hair had burnt away in places. She was covered with small cuts and her right arm was obviously broken.

"What the hell happened to her?" she demanded as she set about hooking up monitors and I. V's to Sam.

"A mine. A landmine. She trod on it. I should have ... she shouldn't..." Jack was self-destructing.

"Get them out of here," ordered Janet and a nurse attempted to herd them out but Jack would have none of it.

"No I want to stay with her."

"Colonel. If you stay you'll distract us and get in our way. And the longer I spend arguing with you, the less chance she has. So Get Out Of My INFIRMARY!!!!!!"

This time Jack allowed Daniel and Teal'c to lead him out of the infirmary. And Janet set about saving Sam Carters life.

Sam felt as if she were floating. She looked down but found her body there, feet firmly on the floor. Then she looked down the corridor feeling very light headed and not having a clue why she was here and how she got here.

"Wow mamma! Sugar, you are fine!"

Sam span around to find a man leaning against the wall looking her up and down. He had shaggy shoulder length blond hair, green eyes and a fairly handsome face. He was wearing torn and faded blue jeans, a black ripped T-shirt and a dirty white (well almost grey actually) ankle length coat.

"Who the hell are you and what on earth are you doing here?" she demanded in her best "I'll beat the living day lights out of you if you don't answer and give me the answer I want" voice.

"Name's Jay. But you can call me your love god, sugar," he answered smiling smugly.

"I can think of a few things to call you but that isn't one of them," she muttered. Then raising her voice said, "And why are you here? And if you call me 'sugar' one more time..." she let the threat hang in the air.

"Okay, okay baby." Sam growled. "Fine Samantha. I'm here because I'm your guardian angel and at the moment, if you hadn't noticed, you need one. Again."

"Guardian angel? Yeah, sure. Well I'm Santa Claus. Nice to meet you. Why don't we take a little trip to the infirmary?"

"In fact that's a very good idea," he answered and set off to the infirmary, followed by a very confused Samantha Carter.

When they reached their destination, it was a hive of activity. Sam spotted Colonel O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c outside the doors. Jack was pacing frantically while Daniel was trying to reassure him that 'she would be fine'. Sam rushed to Jack's side.

"Colonel! What happened? Who's hurt?"

He ignored her as if she weren't there.

"Sir?" she asked hurt.

"Look Samantha," interrupted Jay. "Why don't we go check it out for ourselves?"

"Trust me. Janet will kill us if we go in there while she's working on a patient," replied Sam absently, trying to figure out why the Colonel, and Daniel and Teal'c, were all ignoring her.

"Oh I don't think that will be a problem considering." He grabbed her arm and pulled her through the wall into the infirmary.

"Oh my GOD!"

"Yes. You called?"

"You just pulled my through a wall!" Sam exclaimed in shock.

"Yup. Cool, huh? But if half the things I've heard about you are true, you'll want more proof than that so..."and he dragged her across the room to a bed surrounded by nurses and doctors. Sam spotted Janet and saw a tear fall down her cheek.

"Cassie," whispered Sam, certain that Cassie had been in an accident.

"Nope. Guess again," said Jay. Sam looked at Janet.

"Come on. Come on Sam. Don't give up. Not now. Don't you dare give up on me! Keep fighting Samantha Carter," ordered Janet to the form on the bed.

Sam's mouth moved but no words came out. What the hell was Janet talking about? She was fine. She was standing right here. Then one of the nurses moved out of the way and Sam got her first good look at the form on the bed. She gasped in shock. The figure had extensive burns and cuts but Sam could still recognise who it was. It was her body.

"But ... but that's impossible!"

"No, it's not. Welcome to the afterlife. Congratulations, you're dead!"

"Dead?" Sam stared at Jay unbelieving.

"Okay. So you're not exactly dead per se but close."

"This isn't happening. This is a dream."

"Why do people always say that? Hello, clich! One day I'll get someone who will just accept facts," grumbled Jay.

"This isn't physically possible. I mean theory dictates-"

"God. You are as bad as they say. Can't you just accept anything at face value for once?"

"No. You know, you can't just say you're dead and expect people to believe you?"

"People have."

"Sure, whatever. Well, not me."

"So they said."

"What do you mean, 'so they said'?"

"Well, you see you have quite a reputation. Partly for not believing in guardian angels."

"You got that right."

"And partly for getting through so many in so many years."

"What?"

"Well, every person in assigned a guardian angel when they are born. A guardian angel looks after his or her assigned quarry. We have to keep them out of trouble, serious harm, getting themselves killed until its time etc, etc. some angels are better than others. We also visit you when someone close to you is about to die and when you are about to die, to comfort you."

"You mean, when my mom died..."

"Yup. That was one of us. After that, he retired. Said he appeared at the window. You invited him in, sat him down and talked to him for 3 hours on the physics of flying and why he couldn't possibly fly. He came back talking gibberish, had a nervous break down, and is now the guardian angel of goldfish in Greenland. Do you know how many goldfish there are in Greenland? Three. Since then you've been through 25 guardian angels. I'm the 26th.Most of them quit, though there have been 3 nervous breakdowns that I know of. All new angels are threatened that if they don't do their job properly, they'll be assigned to you. It really works."

"Hey! That's not fair! It's not like I'm accident prone or anything," protested Sam.

"You're joking, right? The only person who comes close to your record is Daniel Jackson but he's a picnic assignment compared to you."

"I don't see that. He's been dead way more times than I have."

"Maybe but he does it accidentally most of the time. He's a little naive yes but he has amazing survival skills, a lot of luck and is easily influenced by his angels. You, on the other hand, seem to look for trouble and it's impossible to influence you. You know we guardian angels can only influence you. But if you really want to do something, it's out of our hands. We can't look after you every second of every day. You ultimately make your own future. Take that Antarctic thing for example. If you had just walked a little way...but no, you had to go back to die. Fortunately for you, Lee pulled in a favour with Jane, Daniel's angel at the time, and she clued Daniel in. Otherwise, you'd have had to be seriously defrosted. And that Jolinar thing. Do you realise how hard Lucy tried to not let you give that guy CPR? But no, you had to. Then there was that episode with Cassandra, the Shavadai, getting shot on the Nox home world, the Hathor thing, Chulak, then-"

"Okay, okay. I get the picture. But some of those weren't my fault. For instance, I didn't wake Hathor up."

"True. But you almost got killed, what, 4 times."

"I did not. Talk about hyperbole."

"Sure. Whatever you say. Why do you always use big words?"

"Can't handed it?"

"Sure. Whatever you say," he repeated.

"This conversation is pointless. Am I dead or not?"

"Not quite. It, unfortunately for us angels, isn't your time yet."

"Great. So I'll just return to my body and you can leave."

"Not so fast. You're not about to die but I have to, well, talk to you about some stuff first."

"Stuff?"

"Yeah. Look, I'm not happy about this either, hon, but if I don't I get re-assigned to mice and well, been there, done that. And let me tell you it's not fun. So hear me out and we can both get back to...whatever. Deal?"

"Fine. But make it quick. And don't call me 'hon', 'baby', 'sugar', in fact anything other than Sam."

"Or what?"

"I've killed Gods. Think I can manage to kill or at least inflict serious harm on a mere angel."

"Sure, okay, calm down, whatever you say. Just not so much of the mere. I have a very important job I'll have you know. But anyway, let's get out of here first."

He walked over to a wall. Then through it. Sam just stared at where he had vanished. A couple of seconds later, his head popped back through.

"What are you waiting for? A fanfare? An introduction?"

"You want me to walk through a wall?"

"Sure why not? You're dead. It won't hurt and it sure as hell beats using a door."

"Sure. Why not?" she muttered. Sam took a deep breath and stepped through the wall.

"Wow," she said a second later when she reached the other side and found herself in a storeroom.

"Cool, huh?" said Jay grinning.

"Yeah. Hey. How come I can walk through walls but I don't sink through the floor to the next level?"

"Er... I don't know. Just take it for a fact that you don't. We can go down or up if we think about. But it becomes a pain in the butt when you sink constantly so they did...something to stop us. Stop asking so many questions."

"Whatever. What was the 'stuff' you had to talk to me about?"

"Oh yeah," and he sat down and leaned against the wall.

"How can-"

"Questions! Stop! Remember?"

"Fine," sighed Sam and she sat herself on the floor as well but didn't lean against the wall, feeling she would go straight through it if she did.

"First would you please be more careful in the future?"

"I am careful."

"Stepping on a landmine in careful? I'd hate to see careless."

"I didn't see it."

"Exactly. You were to busy thinking very un-professional thought about your CO."

"I was not!"

"You forget. An guardian knows everything about you."

"You didn't say that."

"Oh. Well, we do. So don't try to lie to me 'coz it won't work. And I know you're attracted to him. Which is another thing we have to talk about. What do you see in him? Wouldn't you rather have someone like, oh I don't know, me instead?"

"In a word, no. Is that it?"

"Unfortunately, no. You see we're all a little annoyed and bored. When are you two going to open your eyes and get in together? We though after the arctic thing but no, he said Sara not Sam. He's as bad as you. And if you two can get it together like now, I'd be forever grateful. I win $500."

"Win?" asked Sam totally bewildered.

"Yeah. We have a bet going. We have to work together pretty close to keep you guys and girls alive, SG-1 in particular. Everyone dreads you four, you especially."

"We brushed on this earlier. Anyway, we can't get together."

"Oh here we go. Why not?"

"First, there are regulations. We'd be court-martialled, I'd be kicked out of SG-1, if not the SGC or the Air Force or I'd be demoted or dishonourably discharged. Secondly to have a relationship both people must feel the same. Which he doesn't so end of story."

"How many fingers am I holding up?" asked Jay holding up his hand.

"What? Are you insane or something or is this just a demonstration of typical male logic?"

"How many?"

" Fine. Three."

"Good. So you're not blind."

"No. What gave you that idea?"

"You can't see what's under your nose."

"Lips."

Now it was Jay's turn to be confused. "What?"

"Under my nose. Lips."

"You and him have got to get together. You're prefect for each other."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh nothing. Come on there's something I need to show."

And he rose. Sam sighed and stood. Jay walked straight through the wall.

"I'll never get used to that," she muttered as she followed. She found herself back outside the infirmary. The rest of SG-1 were still there. Jack was still pacing, Daniel was still trying to calm him down and Teal'c was still...well being Teal'c. (Surprise, surprise!)

"See. He's frantic."

"He'd be the same if it was Daniel or Teal'c in there. He worries about every member of his tram."

"You need to re-do an I.Q test. I don't think you're as quick as people say."

"Flattery won't get you any where."

"Pity. 'Coz I'd like to get somewhere with you, dar- Sam."

"Great. My guardian angel is trying to hit on me. Do you do this to all your assignments?"

"Only the cute ones. You're the only one how has resisted my dazzling charms." He looked disgruntled at this.

"Here's a suggestion. Get over yourself. Isn't there a rule or something against this? Because there should be."

"Well, it wasn't really covered at angel school. All that went there were too goodie-goodie to even think it. Except for those I managed to corrupt."

"Angel school?"

"Where else would you learn to become an angel?"

"Of course. What was I thinking? How did you manage to get in then?"

"Fluke. Anyway, back to the original topic."

At that moment Janet came out of the infirmary.

"We've stabilized her but it was touch and go there for a while."

"Can I see her?" asked Jack O'Neill. Janet thought for a moment.

"Okay. But only for 1 minute. Then I want you all to clean up, and get some rest. You can have your check-up tomorrow. Oh and the General wants to see you first."

"After I see Sam."

Sam frowned. He never, well hardly ever, called her Sam. The three remaining members of SG-1 rushed towards the door.

"No, Colonel. De-briefing first," ordered the General who had just appeared. "Captain Carter's not going anywhere. I want to know what happened."

Sam listened absently to SG-1 explain her accident. But her mind was elsewhere. Did he really like her as much as she liked him? Did she love him? Yes of course she did! But did he feel the same? She couldn't just ask him. If he said no, which she thought was likely, their working relationship would be blown to dust; as would their friendship.

"Then she stepped on a landmine," said Daniel.

"I thought the planet was supposed to be uninhabited," demanded General Hammond.

"So did we. Someone screwed up big time," thundered Jack.

"Calm down Colonel. Dr. Jackson, Teal'c, you may go to see Captain Carter now. Jack, a word."

Daniel and Teal'c, followed by Janet, left, leaving Jack and the General alone. Or so they thought. They couldn't see Sam standing beside them. Jay seemed to have disappeared.

"Jack. I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to answer honestly. Are you in love with Sam?"

"Sir. I..."

"Because if you are son, I suggest the second she wakes up, you tell her. I wasn't 100% sure until I saw you run thought the 'gate. I have just spoken to the President and he faxed this over." He handed Jack a piece of paper. "You have the Presidents permission to have a relationship with Captain Carter if you both wish. But Lord help you son if you hurt her." Sam was shocked at the protectiveness in the General's voice.

"Sir I swear I would never do anything to harm Sam. I love her with all my heart."

"I believe you son. Now go and see her."

Jack dashed into the infirmary and the General turned and headed down the corridor, a smile on his face, leaving Sam alone with her thoughts. He loved her? He loved her!

"See."

Sam span around to find her guardian angel leaning against the wall looking very smug and pleased with himself.

"I won't say I told you so but...okay I will. I told you so," he teased.

"Has anyone ever told you how annoying you are?"

"Frequently."

"Oh big word."

"Ha ha. I didn't listen then and won't now."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

"Flattery won't get you anywhere," he said throwing her earlier comment back at her. "Now, would you please get back into your body so I can leave? I have a date with a singer in new Orleans."

"I'd love to. But how?"

"Just lie down in your body. Couldn't be easier."

"Well, actually-"

"AHHHH." He threw his hands up in the air then vanished. Sam grinned. She shouldn't really be nasty but she had a reputation to keep up now. She couldn't disappoint her fans. She walked into the infirmary via the wall.

"Note to self: don't do that when back in body. It'll hurt," she muttered to herself.

She walked over to where Jack was sitting next to her body. She was shocked. Tears were running down his face and he was holding her hand against his cheek.

"Come back to me Sam. I need you. You probably can't hear me" "Oh you'd be surprised," Sam muttered "but I love you. We have permission to break regs. All I need is for you to say you love me. If you don't I'll understand and won't love you or think of you any less. That could never happen. I'll always see you as the beautiful, sassy woman I always have. Even now you are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen."

"Oh please! Would you hurry up please? I'm starting to feel sick," said Jay who appeared at her side.

"I thought you had left."

"Wanted to see the outcome of my handy-work. Now get."

Sam climbed onto the bed and sat on/in herself.

"Okay so this is weird."

"Yeah, it does look a little strange."

"Err, Jay?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. I'll try to be more careful in the future I promise."

"Yes! And you're welcome. Have a good life- stressing the life part"- Sam glared at Jay who just grinned- "and tell him."

"I intend to."

With that Sam lay down in her body.

The first thing Sam became aware of was pain everywhere. Her skin was on fire. She groaned and opened her eyes.

"Sam? Oh thank God you're okay. JANET!"

Sam winced at the volume of his voice.

"Jack please," she pleaded in a dry voice.

"Oh! Sorry. You had us all so worried. There are some things we need to talk about but they can wait until you feel better."

"No they can't. Jack I love you. Now kiss me."

"What?" squeaked Jack utterly confused.

"We can have a relationship, the President said so, and I love you and you love me so don't mess me around or the General will get mad."

"How...how did you...who cares?"

And he kissed her. She was sure she had in fact really died and gone to heaven. Then he pulled away.

"How did you know it was the President? And about the General?"

"Oh. Let's just say a little angel told me," she replied.

Jack looked confused, then shrugged and kissed her again. Sam swore she heard a little voice say,

"Hey. Not so much of the little thank-you very much, sugar."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kat. H