Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Straight Talking

by JeanA
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Straight Talking

Straight Talking

by JeanA

Title: Straight Talking
Author: JeanA
Email: gmajca@fsmail.net
Category: Romance
Episode related: 522 Revelations
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: After 5 years working together Jack and Sam move towards broadening their relationship
Sequel to: Just Another Day
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Straight Talking.

30th March 2002

SUDDENLY LOUD EMERGENCY CLAXON SOUNDS<

UNAUTHORISED OFF WORLD ACTIVATION, GENERAL HAMMOND AND COLONEL O'NEILL TO THE GATE ROOM , reverberated through the SGC.

Oh well, Here we go , PLAN B. Just another day at the SGC, the best laid plans etc , etc, etc.

Colonel O'Neill had just completed his first briefing with his new team since the departure of Doctor Daniel Jackson. He was organised and had a well thought out plan to break the team in and suddenly all hell was appearing to be let loose.

Armed marines were running from all directions towards the Gate Room, he diverted into the armoury and grabbed a Zat Gun and hooked it to his belt under his fatigues jacket and followed the General into the Control Room, (over looking the Gate Room ). Major Carter and Tealc were close behind.

" No identification code Sir !" said Sargent Harriman at the control desk.

" Close the Iris " ordered the General.

Just at that Jonas and Hayley joined the welcome party and SG-1 looked at each other with anticipation.

The Colonel whispered to the General,

" I know I said that we needed time sir , but if this turns out to be a problem, we're ready, we'll go out if it's required. "

General Hammond knew the agony that the Colonel had gone through holding the team back for the week and he himself felt that may-be the DEEP END wouln't be a bad idea. Ok , so he now had his Flagship team at his disposal and knew that the Colonel was happy with his team or he wouldn't be considering risking anything at present.

" Tok-ra - identification General "

" OK - Open the Iris "

In the next few seconds the Colonel glanced across at Carter, maybe it was Dad, at least if it was Dad, he wouldn't have to cow tow to any of these other snake heads that he just couldn't quite warm to. He just never quite trusted any of them.

" Jacob, welcome, good to see you " shouted General Hammond ,through the speaker, as Carters' father bounced down the ramp . SG-1 made their way down to the Gate room and Sam ran towards her father and planted a most welcoming kiss on his cheek, Jacob hugged her like he would never let her go.

" Good to see you dad , are you OK ?"

" Yes Sam , I'm fine, Selmak takes care of me you know "

" Of couse Hi to Selmak too ! "

Jacob proceeded towards Colonel Jack O'Neill and shook has hand warmly , Jack introduced him to Jonas, and Hayley and of course Tealc also got a warm handshake.

" General , so this is your new team ? ----- They look OK to me ! "

" Yes they do Jacob , but I guess your'e not actually here to check out the new SG-1 Line Up. "

" NO , I am actually here to check out Sam , and pass on some information to her , I don't actually have much time . --Can we have some time alone "

" Certainly Jacob, Use my office and don' t leave as I would like a chance to speak with you privately before you depart again.

Jacob and Sam made their way to General Hammonds' office.

" What is it dad ? , is everything Ok? What did you mean Check me out ? "

" I knew about your bust up with Jack, I knew you were due back today , I knew you hadn't bothered to get in touch to let me know how you were doing,-------- I was worried !! . I also have to go undercover , on a mission for what could be 3 months or so and I couldn't go before knowing that you were alright "

" Dad I'm fine , I was low within myself, I actually needed a break and I was well out of order with Jac.....I mean the Colonel "

" Well I have to say he was a worried man , well , he must have been to speak to me. He cares about you Sam , he wouldn't deliberately hurt you and these damned regulations well , You know what I think about that !! Have you sorted things out? "

" Yep, we've had a good talk today and we're OK, I'm really glad to be back here at work and I think the team will be OK also , no need to worry , I just find it strange that the Colonel would talk to you about me, but then there are times I can never figure him out "

" I'm glad you've talked , it really isn't my business but as I said I couldn't disappear for 3 months without seeing you were alright and that you knew where I was.

" OK Dad, sorry this is such a short visit but I really appreciate you coming , I'll go get the General "

She kissed her dad affectionately on the cheek and they hugged each other , then she left.

As she walked up to her lab , she asked the Colonel to let her know when her dad dialled out , he assured her he would.

General Hammond joined Jacob in his office.

Jacob , I thought you should be updated on what was gping on here. Last week Jack and I went to the Pentagon to put the final SGC plans to General Ryan , the Chief of Staff, no less. Suddenly Jack comes out with this
* a few personal demands -

I knew nothing about this , and he wasn't giving anything away.
1. He wanted to be assured that the SGC was a Legitimate Command, secret yes, but Legitimate. He wanted it exempt from political intervention. Stop the time wasting proving it's worthiness. He said he was sick of every time there was a change in the Senate that the Stargate programme was put at risk, it was degrading for the Officers involved and so frustrating, and in his opinion unnecessary.
2. He wanted Official Authority , himself, to work directly with the Pentagon when I was otherwise engaged.
3. He wanted Major Carter given Full Command of SG-1 in his absence.
4. He wanted funding guaranteed for at least 5 years in order that the 5 year plan that he and I had painstakingly put together actually had a chance of being put to work
5. He wanted continued discussion about a suitable Off World Base, and he didn't care if it took years to settle on but wanted assurances that it would be pursued positively.
6. He wanted the Fraternisation Regulations changed.

General Ryan, was calm and not taken aback for one moment, He fully understood where the Colonel was coming from and said that all his proposals would be carefully considered.

However he did need elaboration on number 6 . as these rules governed the whole Airforce , in fact all Armed Forces , not just the SGC.

" OK, Here goes ," said Jack.

It was clear that these rules had been implemented for a clear purpose.

No Fraternisation within a chain of command, this was to protect Power hungry Officers, male or female , harrassing, intimidating , behaving inappropriately towards lower servicemen, and taking advantage of their position for their own amusement or satisfaction.

He had no problem with this rule and had abided by it his whole career.

Sensible ,-- it protects the weaker links in the chain of command. It stops such incidents interfering with work relationships and causing problems with the units effectiveness.

But!!

What happens when Hypothetically, two high ranking , respected , officers find that they want to be together, are in the same chain of command and these rules stop them from acting on their feelings .

He went on to then say, QUOTE

" It causes, unnecessary tensions, creates friction, effectiveness of unit,???? -----at times they are so intent on hiding their feelings because they are not allowed to show them, that they become non-communicative , to the point where bitterness creeps in, jealousy of other relationships creep in and what for, they haven't even admitted to themselves how they feel ,............. but everyone else can see how they feel about each other ,but still they can't do anything about it and it goes on , and on , and on, until----- well----- who knows , until one or both of them fall apart.

Would you consider that a good use of the Fraternisation rule. I would suggest NOT ! and I would suggest some kind of amendment that allows the application of common sense within the command , which allows some latitude within it.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that the rule shouldn't exist , I've seen the other side of it and know only too well, why it is required.

I realise I am going on a bit but quite frankly I have nothing to lose here by speaking to you like this. The facts are, ------not hypothetically

The Colonel took a deep breath and , paused for a second, and thought Oh , what the hell_____!!!!!

I have very deep feelings for Major Samantha Carter, and I believe she feels the same way , or at least she did. We have danced around each other for more that 5 years, been in situatuions where it would have been easy to say- Oh to Hell with regulations , Who's going to know,- BUT- there was always one of us in control and nothing ever happened. I am almost 35years in this Airforce, I've been to Hell and back , quite literally, and I'll be damned if some bureaucrat in an office somewhere is going to dictate to me what I do for the rest of my life, especially at this stage of my career. Hell everytime we walk through that Stargate we wonder if we'll even come out of the other side.

I'm not asking for special treatment , I am asking for such treatment to be considered in relevant circumstances, for everyone in such circumstances.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time gentlemen but I've needed to get this out in the open for a long , long time. Maybe the death of Doctor Jackson just re-focussed my mortality, I don't know ,

Any way enough said. I think I've made my point. "

Jacobs' mouth was wide open and his eyes were wider than the Stargate itself.

" Jesus , George , What did General Ryan say "

He said that he appreciated the Colonels honesty and openness and said that all his points would be considered and he would respond to him as soon as was possible.

We then left.

Believe it or not we flew back to base in total silence. Jack never opened his mouth and in fact barely looked in my direction.

" So , what did you do ? "

I brought him into the office . He then sighed and apologised, said he was totally out of line , didn't mean to go into quite so much detail and definitely didn't intend to mention Major Carters name, he didn't know what came over him and ,.......I just told him to sit down , and shut up. He looked stunned.

I then gave him the letter I had from the President

Dear General Hammond,

Thank you for your report regarding the recent Zatarc incident at the SGC. I am pleased to know that both Colonel O'Neill and Major Samantha Carter are well and had nothing to do with the Assassination attempt, and commend you and you command on your professional and swift actions during this matter.

Regarding the findings of the TOK-RA referring to the Colonels' and Majors' feelings towards each other, like you I see no reason why these two respected officers should not be allowed to pursue a personal relationship and I have no hesitation in confirming that in this instance the Fraternisation Rules will not apply. Please wish them luck for the future

President USA.

Of course Jacob knew all about this at the time as he is now TOK-RA and did discuss the matter with General Hammond.

"What did Jack say George ?"

" Nothing, he walked out !!

I sat in my chair staring at the letter wondering to myself why I didn't give him it 2 years ago and then about an hour later there was a knock at the door and there was Jack, out of his dress uniform that he wore at the meeting in Washington, and in his SGC fatigues. "

He muttered,

" This letter makes my little speech a bit stupid and pointless now doesn't it Sir? I mean you obviously were one step ahead of me 2 YEARS AGO " his voice was a bit raised however he surprisingly kept his composure.

He then just collapsed into that chair you're sitting in and said,

"Why ? "

" Why What ?" I said

" Why didn't you tell ,me, us , whatever ?"

" You never came to me and asked to move things along , I expected you to come to me after the Zatarc incident and ask that you and Sam could get together and you never did , therefore I .....didn't give it to you, I didn't need to"

"Oh Right , I see, I never asked, You didn't need to , OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD SIR ! you knew how I felt and you just let it stew on , and on "

" Look Jack, you never asked, you are a professional through and through and so is the Major, I kept that letter to protect you not to encourage you, these rules still stand , you know."

" I know Sir , I'm sorry Sir, It's just that , Oh never mind , for our protection , right . I can see that , don't like it, but I can see it . Fine!. Subject closed .

I'm going to meet Tealc to go over some of these crap co-ordinates that keep causing problems , see you later,........
........ permission to go Sir "

"Dismissed Colonel "

" Thank you Sir , protection ,he mutterred , protection??????"

The next day he got a reply from General Ryan and his demands / proposals were listed and ALL agreed to.

"All ?? " said Jacob

" Yes -All!!"

The General said that an amendment would be written in to the Rule which gives the Command Units' CO discretion over such matters as long as he assesses all sides of the situation.

It was agreed that the tension caused within the Colonel and Majors' working relationship by abiding by this rule had caused each of them unnecessary stress and upset and that the rule was responsible for this .It was agreed that such situations should be handled privately by the Command CO.

" Does Sam know about this "
" Not yet " replied the General " They had some work issues to address first and really, it's up to Colonel O'Neill how he handles this . I'll keep you informed. "

" You better ! and I've been here too long, I need to go "

Jacob left for the Control Room above the Gate Room, where the Colonel was standing just staring out at the inactive Stargate.

" Well Jack, I must be off, could you allow me to input my co-ordinates ? "

" Sure, but wait 'till I get Sam , she wants to be here when you go "

" OK , Get her and Jack ,------ Take care of her when I'm gone OK? "

" Sure Jacob , you know you don't need to ask that "

" Yea I know I don't, -------- oh ! by the way ! , when the time comes Jack , just let her know that you have my blessing, OK??"

" What do you mea...................Oh right , well if the time comes I'll let her know"

" Major Carter to the Gate Room, Major Carter to the Gate Room ! " Jack called through the intercom system

" It'll come Jack, It'll come "

" What'll come " came a voice from the doorway of the control room, it was the Major

" Christmas, " both men said quickly , in unison.

Sam looked at them both with her quizzical ......I don't believe you look ??? "
It was bad enough one of them hiding something from her but both of them at the same time ---a bit dangerous , she thought

At that, Jacob hurried away as the Stargate burst into action.

" Take care Dad , I'll miss you .

"You too Sam, --- pst , Be nice to the Colonel , he needs you "

With that remark he marched through the Event Horizon, out into a different world for another while.

Sam turned and looked up at the control Room , but Jack/The Colonel had gone , she shrugged her shoulders and returned to her lab.

It was 9 pm and the Base was quiet, Colonel O'Neill had sent SG1 home for the evening but they would be on Base the rest of the week. Teal'c and Jonas actually got on very well and had asked the Colonel out for a beer but he was Duty Officer in Command for the Evening as he had told General Hammond to go home, --he was staying on base anyway, therefore declined the invitation.
Instead he thought he would list the problem co-ordinates for Carter that he and Teal'c had worked on and put them in her Lab as it would give her a head start in the morning when she arrived.

He walked along to her Lab, opened the door, and got the fright of his life when someone jumped up from the workbench with a helmet and visor covering their face. He instinctively went for the Zat Gun that was still attached to his belt from earlier. Within an instant chaos erupted ::

"Who goes there , identify yourself "

"Colonel?, Carter!, Major! , Sam! , Jack! , DON'T SHOOT !! " came the utterly panicked ,confused reply, she knew how quick his survival reactions were!

The Colonel quickly lowered his weapon,

" Christ Carter , I thought you'd gone home, What the Hell are you doing in here?"

" I was examining this Naquatah sample for escaped radiation traces "

" In the DARK "

" Well , Yes sir , it's very small , and I was using the Ultra Violet light on this microscope, "

" For God sake take that Helmet off you look like like what's his name in Silence of the Lambs, You scared the hell out of me, you know you should't do that ?? "

" Sorry Sir , but I didn't expect you or anyone for that matter to come in here tonight at this time.

" I was dropping in these co-ordinate thingumy bobs so that you could get a head start when you ARRIVE IN THE MORNING !"

" I'm not going home Sir, I guessed we might be on base for a few days and I came prepared , I don't need to go home tonight "

" Oh I see , well , Time to stop work . Don't start working 24 hours again and that's an order. "

" Yes Sir, OK. "

"Why don't you go and join Tealc and Jonas ? , They 're in the village having a few drinks, "

" Why aren't you with them ? "

" Duty Officer tonight , --- sent the General Home,--- no point in both of us sitting around here all night. "

" Well . I think I 'll just go for a shower and settle down for the night. "

"Have you eaten ? " said the Colonel

" Well, not since lunch time actually "

" Fancy a Take Away? " Carter Nodded " There's a new Thai restaurant in the village, how about that " She again nodded as she closed down the microscope and computer.

" OK , I'll send an SF out for it and meet you in the SG-1 Common room at what ?

9-45pm ??"

" Great , - See you then , Sir "

Major Carter returned to her private quarters , showered and changed into some comfortable , loose fitting , lightweight clothes, ( Pale blue top and white trousers ) In her job she wasn't able to wear such soft colours,--they changed her totally , they were very feminine, and the blue shirt really brought out the colour in her eyes. She tousled her short blonde hair and put on a little light mascara,- the one luxury she afforded herself even when on missions. The Major liked to outline her vibrant blue eyes.

When she got to the SG-1 common room the Colonel was already there , laying out the food on plates.

" Hurry up Major , it's just arrived and you don't want it to get cold."

He had also showered and changed into civvies and was wearing simple Jeans with a white T-shirt over the top of them. He noticed that Carter was looking well, relaxed and , well radiant,- that smile could disarm him from yards away.It was just as well she wasn't the enemy or he'd have surrendered years ago....... Oh enough of this O'Niell.

They both sat down, he, on the large soft sofa and she on the comfy armchair by the TV. It was almost 10pm and the Oscars were on T.V. They both sat extremely relaxed and watched the ceremony, throwing in a few opinions here and there. Sam's mind began to wander, she couldn't remember the last time she had spent this long in a room alone with the Colonel without feeling that , tension/chemistry between them, she couldn't remember the last time he had been so quiet and ,hadn't slagged her or teased her or joked with her,------- something had changed and she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. He looked more at ease than she could remember and it was an extremely pleasant evening , if not a little confusing. In recent times it had been better to avoid being on their own with each other and each of them had conciously kept away from such situations , it was easier to deal with.

He also wasn't totally engrossed in the Oscars either, he had noticed how calm and in control she was and actually the same feelings about tensions / chemistry etc. He didn't realise he wasn't being himself , to her but he actually was being himself. He knew that there could be a chance now that they could get together, but , he was actually worried in case she now wouldn't want to , so he would bide his time until he felt it was right and not just say oh, by the way Major , read this so , well How about it .-----God Forbid. . I think it's safe to say that he would be waiting for an indication from the Major before he did anything to change their present relationship, after all it had just been glued together again.

They both sat at ease with each other enjoying a quiet evening , just two colleagues watching T.V.

When the show finished at about 11:30pm Sam stood up and took Jacks' plate and her own and cleared them to the little kitchen Area. She shouted over , un-aware that Jack had followed her to the kitchen,

" Coffee, Tea , ME ?? "

He was right behind her .

" I think I would like Option 3 "

Sam gasped in surprise,

" What ?? she coughed out ??"

" Coffee, Tea, Me ? you said , I would like the third Option if that's alright."

He stood with his back to the door of the room and took both of Sams' hands that were hanging down by her side, She blushed , as she realised what she'd said. He looked into her eyes which were wide and almost scary, He kissed her forehead lightly , then the tip of her nose , and then he brushed his lips against hers and at that Sam jumped slightly backwards, still holding his hands, ---that tension / chemistry, ----- Whoa, it was still there , it was SO still there, she felt as if a bolt of lightning had just gone right through her from her lips to her toes and she was almost dizzy .
Jack, also felt this electricity ,---- the way he thought about it was that he be struck by somekind of emotional Zat Gun. There two foreheads fell together and both closed their eyes. They stood like this for what seemed like hours but in fact was about 30 seconds.

Sam was first to open her eyes, she lifted her head up towards his eyes , and squeezed his hands, She then caught his eyes as they opened and she looked straight into them , a look , that she'd never seen before, soft and calm , a look that was piercing her very soul.

" I can't do this SIR, we can't do this SIR , you know we've been through this, we've dicussed this , you know its just wrong under the circumstances. SIR!! "

Each time she said SIR, he would normally have felt guilty, but not this time !!!! He didn't release his grip on her hands.

" Well , Sam, not exactly, "

" Not exactly, what the hell is that supposed to mean , NOT EXACTLY "

" Shhh "he said and he told her to get her coffee and led her over to the sofa.

She sat down and he put his coffee down and excused himself saying he'd be right back.

Sam stared at the door as he left the room. What was he up to?, Where was he going, and oh dear , why did her life have to be so complicated? OK , she got the answer about the Chemistry/tension etc, it was way, way, still there, even more so in fact , if that was possible . Well you know what they say , absence makes the heart grow fonder.etc , etc,

Jack went into General Hammonds Office and put his security code into the computer which opened a drawer on the Generals' desk . This was the real SGC personel files, the ones that only the CO's know about. He flicked through 'till he got to O'Neill, at this he took out 2 sheets of paper stamped Top Secret and Private and Confidential, in RED.

He took a deep breath and headed back to the common room. Sam was still where he left her. As he entered the room, she saw the sheets of paper and greeted him with,

" OK , we've been through the ' One of us will resign scenario so many times Jack , we both know that's not going to happen "

" Sam , these are not resignation papers , this time it's different. I need you to sit calmly and read these . There are bits you'll be extremely unhappy about but I'm taking the chance that overall they will at least allow us to get some semblance of normality onto out lives outside this base. So take your time and read. I'll make us another coffee. "

He handed her the letter from General Ryan first .

" This is to you from General Ryan , Jack, THE General Ryan ?? "

" So, do you always read the end of the book first Sam " Sarcasm dripping from his expression.

She smiled nervously and read on,

To : Colonel Jack O'Neill , SGC
From : General Ryan , Chief of Staff

Thank you for you frank and candid exchange of views yesterday, I was most impressed with the passion of which you spoke on all subjects, The Stargate Programme is obviously extremely important to you and your colleagues at the SGC and I must say , although I think that General Hammond has his hands full with you, he is also extremely lucky to have an officer of your stature at this extremely important Command Centre.
1. Legitimate Command, Already implimented. Annual Reviews of expenditure with CO and Chief of staff only.
2. I appoint you to , acting CO of the Command in the Generals absence and instruct you to be part of all policy decisions.
3. Major Samantha Carter will be appointed as Acting CO in your absence, NO outside intervention
4. Funding has been authorised for 3 Years with additional 2 year option applied for, I accept your point about why a 5 year plan if you don't have 5 years. Let me assure you Colonel you will have at least that once the paper work is completed.
5. Off World Base, No promises but dialogue will continue and yourself and the General will be totally involved..
6. Fraternisation Rules. Done.

On a personal note, it is my understanding from the President that these rules don't apply to you and Major Carter at this moment as he has already made an arrangement with General Hammond some time ago. However , from an objective point of view , I accept your reasoning and a clause will be added to take your points into consideration.

Now , I trust Colonel that this is all to your satisfaction, have no hesitation in letting me know if I can be of further assistance and good luck with the future of the Programme "

General Ryan
Chief of Staff.

Sam looked astonished and couldn't quite get any words out. Jack swapped letters and gave her the one to General Hammond from the President. Her eyes were nearly popping out of her head as she read this one, and inevitably tears started to slowly trickle down her cheeks as the reality of what these letters said began to sink in.

Jack sat down beside her,

" Are you OK, why the crying ? "

" Oh , I don't know, I mean I don't really get this, I need this explained , I don't understand, How could.... , when did....... this letter is 2 years ol....I don't get this "

" Hey, Calm down , ------- and I thought you were the one with the brains "

He couldn't help it , he needed to lighten the situation, just a bit.

" I can't handle this, the President, The Chief of Staff, my brain just won't take this in "

" Oh well, what chance have I got if your brain won't take this in, you know the size of mine "

Sam gave a small nervous smile cause she knew that Jack was just trying to make her feel better.

" Jack, this is unfair, you've had time to think about all this , you've even had time to plan for it ............."

At that a rather raised voice found its way into the conversation

" FOR CRYING OUT LOUD !!! Plan what ??,--- I didn't know you would even be back today, I certainly didn't know you would be on the base tonight, --you might have gone to meet Teal'c,-- you might 've told me to stick my Thai take away up my backside like you've done in the past,--- WHATS' TO PLAN- I ASK YOU !!!!!" He got up off the sofa and paced about for a few minutes and Sam just sat in quiet amazement and the tears rolled down her cheeks until she was visible sobbing her heart out.

" God , I'm sorry Sam "

" NO , I'm sorry , I just didn't expect this . "

" Me neither ."

He again sat down beside her on the sofa and then turned awkwardly and looked up at the door, Yep, the security camera was on , he'd forgotton about the security camera after they'd walked away from the kitchen when he had deliberately shielded them from it by turning his back. Well , if security were tuned in to the common room they were certainly being entertained this evening, He indicated the camera to Sam. She cringed and said,

" Typical, can we turn it off "

" Yes, I can order it to be turned off but I'm not going to , cause that would certainly send out the wrong signals. "

He wiped away the tears from her now soaked face with a tissue and took her hand.

" Sam , this just isn't the time or the place for this conversation, do you really think that after all this time I would pick the SG-1 Common room on base to tell you how much I love you.!!"

SILENCE, What had he just said out loud,???

Yes, He had just said what he thought he'd said .

Sam looked at him straight in the eyes, eyes that now had this look of softness coupled with terror and panic.

" Do you know what you just said , Jack ? "

" Well , of couse I know what I just said , surely you can't be surprised at that, I mean I've been in love with you since the first day I set eyes on you in the breifing room. Don't act coy , Its not time for games any more. "

" I'm not playing games, but you know how you said that , this was not the time or the place , you were right its not.! "

She then took his hand and snuggled her head into his shoulder and closed her eyes.

" She whispered , I need a little time to let this all sink in , OK??"

" OK, " said Jack, He was emotionally drained and had run out of words, he'd actually said more words today that in his whole lifetime, he thought to himself. He put his arm around her shoulder as they sat side by side , knowing that these damned security cameras would be picking up what was going on. Thank God the sound was turned off on them , at least he had had the sense to do that some time ago as he didn't want anyone on base knowing SG-1s' business.

Within a few minutes they were both nodding off to sleep in front of the TV. As Sam moved about to get a bit more comfy, she raised her lips to Jacks neck and gently kissed him, and whispered,

" Times up O'Neill , I love you too ! "

They both sat there and dozed until the door sprung open.

It was 2.30am and , it was Teal'c returning from his evenings' activities.

Normally under such circumstances both the Colonel and The Major would have reacted and pulled away or something or other , this time they didn't. They both sat up still in the same close position and smiled at Teal'c.

Sam then got up and asked Tealc if he wanted a coffee or something to which he replied yes. She then went about making coffee for the 3 of them.

" Did you both have a pleasant evening O'Neil ?"

" Yes, eventually, -----it's such a long story Teal'c, I'll share it with you sometime. "

" Where did Jonas get to then ?" asked Sam

" He has retired for the evening, he had a few beers too many and said that he needed some sleep, right away. I will check on him before I turn in for the evening ."

" Speaking of turning in, I need to get some sleep, I'll leave you two guys to turn all the lights off OK ? "

Jack went over to her and said that he would walk her back to her quarters, she smiled in agreement.

They both left the room and walked slowly, hands behind their backs, in Colonel/ Major mode, down the long corridor towards their private quarters. The Colonel escorted the Major through her door,fully aware that the security cameras are totally in operation in the base corridors. As they enter the room he turns Sam towards him, puts his hand under her chin, and raises her face so that he can look straight into these vibrant eyes that have a distinct look of fatigue about them. He kisses her so softly on the lips and says quietly,

" I love you Sam, and thats it I just, love you , no jokes , no sarcasm , it's that simple. I want to be with you Sam . and have you with me always .

He then looked around the room .

" But , as we said earlier this is not the time and the place , and this is certainly not where I would plan to take you on our first official date "

" Sam laughed quietly and cringed at the thought "

She then reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck and returned the gentle , affectionate kiss that says , everything was going to be fine. Both stood in each others arms and gave out the most enormous sigh of relief,

Jack pulled away and kissed her forehead and whispered ,

" Goodnight Sam , lets see what tomorrow brings and just take this a day at a time "

" Good idea , it'll will take a little while to get used to , but we'll get there , I'm sure "

Jack opened the door to Sams' room and said authoritatively,

" Goodnight Major "

" Goodnight Colonel "

He detoured to the Generals' office and returned the 2 letters to his file, he certainly didn't want anyone else picking those up and reading them.

He then walked back to the Common room with a very big grin on his face .

AT LAST, he thought.

Sam leaned against the wall of her room and thought to herself,

ABOUT TIME.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JeanA