Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Stargazers Stargaters Parts 26-30

by Jane
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Stargazers Stargaters Parts 26-30

Stargazers Stargaters Parts 26-30

by jane

Summary: Liz Parker and Alex Whitman (from Roswell) are recruited into the SGC.
Category: Crossovers, Drama, Future Story, Mystery, Romance
Crossover: Roswell
Season: Season 2
Pairing: Daniel/Share, Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 05/24/03

Stargazers Stargaters Parts 26-30
Author: jane
E-mail: illta1985@aol.com
Category: AU, Futurefic, Crossover(Roswell/Stargate SG1) Rating: PG13 (A few swearwords)
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, UPN, Jason Katims and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this fabulous series (but who we are frustrated with, for messing up the beautiful, 1st season story line!). Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement or disrespect is intended. Not to be archived without permission of the authors. Summary: After college, Alex and Liz (from Roswell) join the SGC. As the Stargate gives up its secrets, will their new colleagues in SG1 learn about the secrets the two friends still carry? Will they ever "dial up" one planet's address in particular? Read and find out!

Part 26

Silence was complete as all of the parents took in the presence of the four missing teens...

...who were teens no more, Jeff Parker noted and it was more than the impressive muscular physiques of Max Evans and Michael Guerin that showed it. 'There was something about their posture, all four of them stood straight and proud...'

'...Max had always been shy; ducking his head a lot, his shoulders always slumped.' Nancy Parker thought as she glanced over Liz's old boyfriend...'Now he looks as though he could handle any situation, especially this one...'

'...Isabel Evans had always been a confident young lady,' Charles Whitman thought, 'but now there is something extra about her...it's in her eyes; a certain knowledge...she reminds me of Captain Carter...have these four kids joined the military? They are just wearing street clothes, not uniforms...'

'...Where have they been all of this time?' Amy DeLuca asked herself. They stand there straight and strong and confident...And Michael, Michael Guerin is trying to hide it but I can see that smirk of his, he's enjoying this; shocking us like this...but man all that bone structure which was just starting to show in his face has really come through...that strong jaw, those high pronounced cheekbones, Maria will just drool over that face...wait a minute...that "glow" of Maria's I saw in the van earlier...and Liz had it too...those two knew about this...well yeah of course they knew...but that means they've been "drooling" over Michael and Max for...'

"How long have you been here? Where the hell have you been all this time? Don't you know that we've been worried sick about you all of these years?" Amy blurted out, her voice dripping with suspicion as she asked the questions which all four parents wanted answers to, but they were all too shocked to ask...But it was General Hammond who spoke next.

"Good morning, Mr. Evans." Hammond said in a respectful voice, ignoring Amy DeLuca for the moment as he stood up to greet all four of them and shook their hands. He would not give away the secret of who these four young people really were, but he would treat them in the manner their royal status called for. "Thank you for coming this morning, sir; will you all please be seated? Let's see, there are two chairs down there for your parents to sit..."

"They can have our seats, General." Colonel O'Neill volunteered as he looked around to the rest of SG-1, who nodded agreeably.

"Thank you, Colonel." Hammond said, smiling at his 2IC as all four members of SG-1 stood up from their places near the head of the table.

Jack might like to tease them, but he had come to respect these four young alien leaders and was determined to help them any way he could. They had enough challenges facing them, besides meeting their lovers' parents again. Daniel placed some gentle pressure on Sha're's shoulder to keep her seated as he stood to give up his seat and SG-1 instinctively took supportive positions, standing behind their four friends. Teal'c made sure that he stood between his new comrades and Amy DeLuca; her angry and suspicious manner setting off his protective instincts. And Max took the seat which the General indicated for him, at his right; he would have preferred to sit next to Liz, but he appreciated that General Hammond was trying to help him by giving him, all of them, a place of honor to sit.

The General's and SG-1's actions; their deference and extreme politeness to Max and the others made Amy, the Parkers and Mr. Whitman pause in their questioning of their kids. What was going on here? Who were Max Evans and the others to this military organization? They were wearing casual clothing and yet they seemed to hold a place of authority, of honor here. Did they work for a senator or...the parents hesitated in their mental questioning...the President of the United States? How could these young people have gained such a high position of authority, to have a highly decorated Air Force General treating them with so much respect...and blast it...where had they been while they were seemingly gaining all of this power? Nancy Parker decided to find some answers but started out in a much more reasonable tone of voice than Amy DeLuca had used.

"Max, Isabel, Michael and...Tess? It is so great to see you again...um...safe and well. You can't imagine how we've all worried about you all these years." She paused and then continued. "Could you tell us please...why did you run away from home? Didn't you know that your parents...all of us, your friends would be worried bout you?" Nancy asked, trying hard to keep an accusatory tone out of her voice. There had to be a reasonable explanation for this...she did not want to believe that shy, polite Max Evans would have caused so much hurt and worry without a very good reason.

"We didn't run away, Mrs. Parker." Max answered in is soft voice. "And our parents knew where we were...they just could not have contact with us after we left. Neither could Liz, Alex, Maria or Kyle."

They had discussed with General Hammond and SG-1 how to go about telling the parents their story; in the end they had decided to allow the Parkers and the others to ask what questions they wanted to and to see where they led them. If the parents just up and demanded that they start from the beginning, they would, but until then, the four aliens would take any questions literally and answer them specifically...and maybe the whole, fantastic truth would occur to at least one of the parents, before the kids would have to come right out and admit that "we are aliens"!

"Maria, Liz, Alex and Kyle knew the truth all this time?" Amy exclaimed angrily, but was interrupted by Jeff Parker.

"But, Liz and the others were miserable for months...years...If they knew where you were and that you were okay...why were they So upset?"

"Well hopefully part of their tears were caused by their miss-ing-us." Isabel replied, rather irritated with Mr. Parker's denseness and she rolled her eyes.

"Why did you have to leave and why did you make it look as though you had run away, then?" Nancy asked.

"And why couldn't you communicate with us?" Mr. Whitman asked, curious rather than accusatory. "And didn't you have to falsify police reports?"

"Okay, we were sent to live in Roswell for our safety, because there was a civil war...back home." Max said slowly and thoughtfully. "Then, eleven years ago, we were finally contacted...and asked to return because the war was at a crucial point and it was believed that we could help to stop it for good...so we left our friends and our loved ones...even though it was the very last thing that we wanted to do." Max was gazing deeply into Liz's understanding eyes, totally blind to the fact that Isabel was sitting in between them. "Once we had left, we could no longer risk communicating with our parents or anyone else because any signals might be traced back to them. Some of our enemies had already found us while we lived in Roswell...and they were...uh...disposed of...but we could Not risk any more of our enemies making the connection between us and any of you."

"Max also told me that the four of them were leaving...and why...and I agreed to help Philip and Diane handle any legal/Police-type problems. Philip and Diane never made a missing person's report and the FBI was never contacted, so there was no falsification of Police reports; no laws were broken. But we allowed the public to believe that they had run away and everyone assumed that we were doing everything we could to search for them...so whenever I was asked if there was any progress on the case, I always had to say..."

"...that everything which needed to be done was being done, but there were no further leads or results at that time." Jeff quoted.

"They became just four more statistics, easily forgotten by the Press and the public." Diane said with tears in her eyes. "We didn't stop our friends from posting fliers around the county or on the Internet, but we didn't encourage them either and we didn't help them...so eventually even those efforts faded away as well...but we never forgot them. We never gave up totally that we would someday see our kids again!"

"I'm sorry, Mom, Dad." Max apologized miserably, but then continued. "It was important that no one...uh...back home linked our return with the four kids who disappeared from Roswell, New Mexico...who were mourned and greatly missed by loved ones who they left behind...who would make excellent hostages to command our cooperation and surrender."

"So you are saying that...that you guys are some sort of...royalty? That's why keeping you safely hidden was so important to our government and yours...and that's how you know General Hammond and the SGC...they had something to do with our protection?" Amy asked warily but curious.

"Our parents..." Max indicated Isabel and himself. "Were King and Queen before the war and our father was killed shortly before the fighting broke out. It was our mother who sent us to...Roswell while she stayed behind to lead the Resistance and keep my father's...uh...throne from being usurped."

"Have you...taken up your birthright then, Max?" Nancy asked a little dreamily. "Are you King Maxwell now? Is...is your...uh...birth-mother still alive?"

"Yes, we have all taken up our birthrights, as you put it." Max said softly but he straightened up his shoulders. "I followed in my father's footsteps and so have Isabel, Michael and Tess. Isabel, being a princess is one of my advisors, next to our mother and Michael and Tess are the offspring of two of our parents' best friends, who were also Royal Counselors to my father. They have taken their late parents' places and have also become two of my most trusted advisors as well...And yes, our...birth-mother, Valaria is still alive...and would very much like to meet all of you...especially you, Liz." Max said, reaching out his arm and took Liz's extended hand in his own. "I've told her all about you; how much I love you and now that..." But Max broke off when he remembered that the two of them were not alone, Isabel was sitting in between them for goodness sake, she was sitting forward so that they could see and speak to each other behind her back...but everyone in the room was watching them and could hear everything that they said. Max cleared his voice and spoke. "In fact, we have arranged a very special celebration, during which SG-1 is to be honored for helping to save our people...our parents, Liz, Alex, Maria and Kyle are all coming and so must you all." Max casually slipped the invitation in.

"How...how did SG-1 save your people and why have we never heard anything about your civil war, or...was it the Goa'uld SG-1 saved you from?" Mr. Parker asked.

'Man you are so close to figuring out the whole thing; just a few steps further, Mr. P.' Max thought to himself.

Anything to do with the Goa'uld; on or off of this planet is highly classified and the Press has never been allowed to report word one about them." General Hammond said firmly, deliberately skipping over the first part of Mr. Parker's question. "You may have heard about two bright lights suddenly appearing in the night's sky just over a year ago? It was explained away as colliding meteors but it was actually two Goa'uld mother-ships which SG-1, at great personal risk to themselves, managed to destroy just in time...the world is not ready to hear about such nightmares almost coming true. And I'm sorry that you folks have to learn about them at all, but things like that are a part of our children's lives now that they work for the SGC." General Hammond said.

"It's so strange that we've never heard anything about King Maxwell though." Amy teased but with determination. "The Press would just love to cover your story...young, handsome, bachelor-of-the-year, King Maxwell Evans!" Amy pantomimed a huge newspaper headline spreading out above their heads. "I can't believe that no one even covered your coronation...you did get one of those, didn't you?"

"He got two of 'em, Mrs. D." Michael smirked as Max blushed.

"Something...just is not...adding up here." Jeff Parker broke in thoughtfully.

"What do you mean, Jeff?" Nancy asked.

"Max and the others are rulers of some little country No one has ever heard of before...where a civil war was waged for...by my count...at least ten years, which no reporter ever reported on as well...Come on, we all heard about Sarajevo, where in the world could you live where at least one reporter wouldn't have heard about a ten year civil war?" Jeff Parker asked in frustration. "Okay, I'll buy that you four met SG-1 when they came to your...country to fight the Goa'uld...but what are you doing here now? Did you just travel all this way to invite us to a party...to pick us up and fly us back to your home, or what? And with all due respect to our Royal Highness, it would seem to me that if SG-1 saved your bacon, it is you who should be acting all overly polite, kissing their shoes than the other way around!"

"Mr. Parker!" The General barked out, shocked.

"Dad!" Liz cried out, angry.

"Jeff, for Pete's sake!" Nancy exclaimed to her husband.

"No, he's right..." Max said sincerely. "We owe SG-1 and all of you so much...you saved our people and reunited us with our loves...Liz, Alex, Maria and Kyle."

"You would have done just fine without us; I bet you could have blown Apophis out of the sky even without our planning C4 all over his ship...with all that advanced weaponry you have and the way your allies came flying in..."

"Not to mention the way you were able to save and heal Sha're." Daniel added, but then he bit his lip, worried that he had said too much.

"You don't have nuclear missiles...do you?" Nancy asked hesitantly.

"No, we don't have any nukes, Mrs. Parker." Max assured his future mother-in-law.

'We have defenses which are way more powerful than any nukes Earth has.' Michael thought to himself with a smirk and saw a similar look on Jack O'Neill's face. The older warrior was thinking along similar lines.

'We shot two "enhanced" nuclear missiles at those mother-ships and they didn't even scratch the shields.' He remembered, but did not say any of that out loud.

"But you were able to blow up an advanced space ship and heal Mrs. Jackson." Mr. Whitman clarified and Max nodded. "Liz was telling us that a Goa'uld host usually dies once the symbiote leaves it because the host no longer has an immune system...but you knew how to fix hers'?"

"It would appear so...or perhaps Sha're's condition wasn't so critical since we got her to medical help almost immediately." Max said modestly.

Jeff Parker had been swiveling his head back and forth as everyone else asked their questions and make their comments, but Max had not answered his questions and anyway he was beginning to think that he had found his own answers and started to wave his hands in the air to get everyone's attention. But when he realized what he was about to say...out loud...for everyone to hear, his voice shook at the enormity of it all.

"For crying out loud, why won't any of you just come out and say it? You're leading up to telling us the truth, but then you always stop short." Jeff cried out. "Do you really need us to be the ones who say it?" He took a deep, steadying breath and then continued. "You have allowed us to believe that you rule over some little country...one which has advanced weaponry and scientific breakthroughs even though your people have been fighting a civil war for over a decade...And here's the clinker; no one has ever heard of you. I love to watch those all-news channels on TV, believe me, I would have heard of such a place...and the way our government likes to stick its nose into everyone else's business, they surely would know where you live too...Care to show us on a map where your kingdom or principality is?" Jeff challenged but only nodded knowingly when no one answered him. "You never did answer my question about what you're doing here. Sure, SG-1 helped you fight the Goa'uld when they invaded your home...once again no one saw or heard anything about such an invasion...were you able to silence all of your citizens...or are they all so far away from anywhere else that there's no one to tell...what are you doing here in the SGC? Even if you had one of those Concord planes, it would have to take hours to reach here from wherever you started out. You wouldn't spend that much time in the air just to pick up a few party goers."

"Don't forget about how politely we Have been treated by all of the SGC personnel, even though, as you've noted, we owe them so much." Michael interrupted sarcastically. "Gee, maybe there is something we have that they want."

'You are so close, Mr. P.; come on, put the pieces together." Michael thought to himself.

"Exactly Michael...what could some tiny country no one has ever heard of offer a facility like this one...And the answer to all of my questions is...man I can Not believe I'm about to say this, but...Max, Michael, Isabel and Tess...are aliens...as in from another planet!" Jeff looked around at everyone; at the shocked, disbelieving faces of Nancy and Amy, the thoughtful expression on Charles Whitman's face and the knowing smiles (or smirks, in the case of Michael Guerin and Colonel O'Neill) on the faces of everyone else. Amy had started to shake her head in denial and so Jeff jumped back in, to explain his conclusions.

"There is now way that a civil war could last ten years and not be noticed by some reporter, much less the United Nations. And no society-reporter worth her salt would miss a royal coronation. From what I read in spy novels, there are always ways of jamming your communications signals...if they had been on Earth all this time, I know Max and the others, not to mention Liz, would have found a way to communicate safely with each other. And where on Earth would you find a higher military technology or medical technology than they have access to within this facility?"

"No, Max, Isabel, Michael and Tess have not been on this planet all of these years. And where they were was so far away...and maybe so dangerous that they dared not take their boyfriends and/or girlfriends with them, because they weren't sure that they would ever be able to return. The only thing I don't understand is that if there is a Stargate on your planet, why couldn't you have used it to come and go easily?" Jeff asked.

"Before you answer that, could you please admit to and clarify what Jeff has said already, or deny it all and give a better explanation of where you've been all this time. I just need to hear it from your lips." Charles Whitman requested and the four aliens nodded.

"Okay...here we go..." Max started. "Yes, Mr. Parker is correct...we are aliens; born on a planet called Antar. Isabel's and my parents were the rulers of our world for many happy years, but then a man named Khivar tried to overtake their throne and our father was killed. Our mother sent us to Earth for safety as we had studied this planet and its people many times."

Not for all the gold in the universe was Max prepared to explain the whole living-a-former-life, being killed and then cloned into Human-alien hybrids-thing that actually happened. But he went on to give a brief explanation of how they had actually crashed to Earth in 1947 and then left their protective pods over forty years later, wandered out into the desert to be found by the Evans. In covering what happened as they grew up, Max explained that the civil war on Antar had been going on for over fifty years, rather than just ten and that it was only when they were called back to their home, that the war was able to be won by the Royals and ended.

Isabel broke in and explained how all of their large, fast space ships had been destroyed during the war and the difficulties of communicating across a galaxy...and she covered their unsuccessful attempt to reach their friends shortly after the war had ended. Michael took a turn and explained how their people had rediscovered the Stargate, which had been buried for millennia on their world. He spoke of how Amonette, Sha're's demon symbiote, had come to Antar through the newly opened alien device and how they had stopped her and her Jaffa-warriors. Tess took up the story explaining how Max had saved Sha're and they had welcomed her as a guest after she had been freed.

"And then SG-1 came through the Stargate and right after them, Apophis flew in on his mother-ship and SG-1helped us defeat him and Daniel was reunited with Sha're!" Tess finished.

"We figured out that Liz and Alex had known and still had feelings for Max, Isabel, Michael and Tess...or Zan, Valondra, Rath and Ava, as they are called on Antar...and with Sha're's help we found out that the four of them were probably still in love with their friends here on Earth." Sam Carter took up the story. "And we wanted to surprise Liz and Alex so we tricked them into inviting Kyle and Maria up here to attend Sha're's birthday party...and we invited the Royal Four as well and then...we just stood back and watched after we brought them all together!"

"The last step was to break the news to all of you parents." Liz said. "We started with Mr. and Mrs. Evans and the Sheriff, since they had known the truth about Max and the others before they returned to Antar. The three of them flew up just a couple of days ago...and now you all know the truth too..." Liz looked around the room hesitantly. "How...how are you doing with all of this new information you've been hit with?" She asked closely studying her parents.

"I don't suppose you have anything strong to drink down here, do you?" Charles murmured to his son.

"Besides the mud they laughingly call coffee? I don't think so, Dad." Alex replied.

"I'll be right back." The General said casually and left the room for a moment.

When he returned he was carrying something in a small brown paper bag. Jack O'Neill raised one of his eyebrows in surprise and then moved to make sure that everyone had a clean coffee cup in front of them. The General smiled his thanks as he pulled out the bottle of Glenfiddich and started pouring dollops into anyone's cup who wanted some...and just about all of the parents did, but the kids declined.

"Just a hint, General." Michael said as he refused a drop. "You don't want to get Antarians drunk..." He didn't say any more, preferring to allow everyone to think that they became violent or mean, instead of becoming sloppy romantics.

"Oh, uh thank you, Mr. Guerin." The General said before he moved on to pour some of the fine whisky into Philip Evans' cup.

Liz waited, trying to be patient until everyone had downed their drink...smiling as her father coughed several times and pounded his chest with a fist.

"Uh, that's good stuff you've got there, General." Jeff said chuckling at himself.

"I keep it for...er...medicinal purposes." The General explained, but his stern, official expression quickly cracked into a grin and a wink to the table in general.

"Okay...are all of you feeling better now?" Liz asked hesitantly and received some unconvincing head-nods from around the table.

"How...are...you...feeling about what you've just learned?" Alex asked, equally hesitant.

"Actually...it al makes a lot of sense..." Mr. Whitman started to say, but then was interrupted when Nancy Parker cried out.

"The shooting at the CrashDown...Liz was...Liz...was...really...shot...and you...saved her...healed her...didn't you?" She asked, her eyes were huge and her face, white as she thought back to that day and realized that she could have lost her beloved daughter...if not for this young man...this alien.

"Yeah, Mom...it really happened...and Max did save me...He risked exposing what he was...and Isabel and Michael...to save my life." Liz answered solemnly.

"Oh my baby!" Nancy cried out and launched herself up out of her chair and around the table until she could get her arms around her daughter...and then the tears started to spill down her face and she began to cry, rocking Liz back and forth as she clung to her.

"Mom...Mom, I'm okay...it's okay...we're all safe and back together again." Liz soothed softly.

"Max...come over here." Nancy called out as she opened one arm out to him.

Max got up and slowly went to join the mother and daughter, but as soon as she could touch him, Nancy drew him into her arms for a hug as well. Max was torn between embarrassment and happiness at seemingly being accepted by Liz's mother...and being pressed up to Liz's slender form within Nancy Parker's arms. Liz put one of her arms around Max's lean waist and he followed suit so that the three of them could just stand there for a few moments.

Their unexpected behavior got everyone else up and out of their seats as well and a general hug-fest ensued. Mr. Whitman kissed Isabel on both of her cheeks and slapped Alex on the back, grinning. Amy DeLuca gathered Maria into her arms for a hug and when Michael walked over rather hesitantly to the two ladies, she stared at him for several long seconds and then opened her arm to him for a hug as well. Michael cracked a grin and stepped into the warm embrace, his arms going around mother and daughter as well.

Sheriff Valenti, Kyle and Tess were hugging and the Evans made their way to where both of their children were standing with their loves and future-in-laws. But they stopped as they saw Jeff Parker finally walk up to Max and stand in front of him.

"So you are really an alien? And...and you healed my Lizzy?" Jeff asked.

"Yes, sir...I am an alien." Max answered.

"And he did heal me that day, Daddy...or I would've died." Liz said, bringing out the heavy emotional artillery.

"You want to take her...away to live on your planet?" Jeff continued.

"My people need me on Antar, but I...need her...I love your daughter, so much." Max said sincerely, both arms going around Liz to hug her tight.

"And with the Stargate we could come and visit...or you could come and visit us, Daddy...Mom. That's why we made the effort to bring all of you up here, so you could see this place, get security clearance and go through the Gate with us to Antar." Liz spoke quickly and convincingly, all in one breath.

"We would really like you to come and see our home...all of you." Max said looking around the room as he issued the invitation again.

"What do ya think, Dad...will you come with us?" Alex asked his father.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, Son." Charles grinned.

"Mom, Dad?" Liz asked. Will you come?"

"I...we...we have to step through the Stargate?" Nancy asked nervously.

"It's perfectly safe Mom and we'll all be there with you." Liz answered her, smiling.

"Then...okay, I'm in!" Nancy said, holding tightly to Jeff's hand.

"Me too!" Jeff said and then became serious as he stuck his other hand out to Max...and Max grasped it tightly with his own.

"Mom, you'll come, won't you...please?" Maria asked, but Amy's bravado was leaving her and the fear was showing through.

"Go to another pl-plan-planet...through th-that thing?" She stuttered, pointing towards the Stargate.

"Yeah, Mom...I bet stepping through the Stargate would be way better than spending months or even years inside a space ship to get there." Maria said, trying to encourage her mother, but she was getting excited at the same time. "Alex says it's a blast, like riding on a rollercoaster!"

"I hate rollercoasters!" Amy cried out and Michael rolled his eyes...he knew how to handle the DeLuca women, so he stepped back and placed his fists on his hips.

"Is this the woman who raised her daughter all by herself...and got arrested for trying to save a Native American artifact-wall...that even the Indians didn't want to save?" Michael asked, trying to sound disappointed in Amy, while keeping a grin and his laughter well hidden. "What are you...chicken?" Both Amy's and Maria's jaws dropped.

"Those are fighting words, you punk! I can do anything I set my mind to. I'm not afraid of anything, especially some muscle-bound, alien-whatever-you-are...like you!"

Michael looked Amy up and down and then into her eyes.

"Prove it." He said softly, never blinking.

Amy's mouth slammed shut and her jaw was clenched into a stubborn line.

"General!" She yelled. "When are we going to move this party off-world?"

General Hammond looked around at everyone else in the room, saw that they were all ready to go and then turned to Colonel O'Neill.

"Colonel, SG-1 and the Antar group have the go-ahead to step through the Stargate in thirty minutes." He ordered.

"Yes, sir." Colonel O'Neill accepted his orders and turned to the group as a whole. "Let's move out!"

Disclaimer: The dialogue for the ceremony at the beginning of this chapter was taken directly from an episode of Stargate SG-1. I use it here with thanks to the writers, knowing that I could not have come up with anything else which would have been so appropriate.

Stargazers/Stargaters Part 27

Once Colonel O'Neill ordered everyone to "move out", the entire group exited the conference room and were directed towards another by two SFs, where all of their luggage had been laid out on tables. SG-1 and Sha're had disappeared for a few minutes saying only that they needed to change. While they waited for SG-1 to return, the two military personnel instructed several of the parents who had brought their good suits and/or dresses in hanging bags, that all of their clothing would have to be packed into their one piece of luggage.

"There's no telling how a hanging bag would react within the worm-hole, Mom." Liz explained.

"Don't worry, once we arrive at our home, we can make any wrinkles disappear with a snap." Isabel added soothingly.

So the parents repacked their luggage and were given brief instructions on how to best travel through the Stargate, by those in the group who already had experience. They had finished the briefing and some butterflies were starting to flutter around in several nervous stomachs, when the door opened and SG-1 came in.

"Whu-hoe! Daniel, Sha're...Teal'c." Alex exclaimed with a grin.

"Wow, Colonel, Captain!" Liz added looking admiringly at her friends.

Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter had changed into their dress-uniforms, resplendent with all of their medals, especially O'Neill who had a chest-full of them. Daniel was wearing a sharp-looking navy-blue suit with a matching shirt and tie, which matched his eyes so well. Sha're seemed to have taken her husband in hand even in the few days since she had been returned to him, since Daniel was not wearing the ugly brown suit he usually wore for special occasions. Sha're in turn was wearing a long gown with long leaves, but made of a thin cotton which was printed in lovely earth-toned patterns reminiscent of North Africa and Egypt. And Teal'c was wearing all white; suit, shirt, slacks topped by his Panama hat, which hid his golden tattoo on his forehead.

"I feel distinctly underdressed." Philip murmured as he looked down at this casual shirt and slacks.

"Don't worry, Dad; you look fine." Max assured him.

"The General ordered us to dress in our Class A uniforms since we will be acting as official ambassadors and negotiators for Earth." Sam explained.

"Plus it's always a good idea to look your best when you are going to be given an award." Jack added.

"Yes, sir." Sam said, but looked strangely at her superior. Jack for his part only raised his eyebrows innocently.

"If everyone is ready, we'd better be going." Daniel said and the entire group picked up their suitcases.

SG-1 was also using suitcases so as not to wrinkle their uniforms. When the group neared the door to the Gateroom, Sam Carter made to turn and take the stairs up to the Control room, but an airman stopped her.

"Begging your pardon, ma'am; but the General requested that your entire teem join him in the Gateroom." He said.

"Oh, alright, airman." Carter said, shrugging.

The group had moved on without her, but SG-1 had hung back to wait for her, so they all walked into the enormous room together, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c in front, with Sha're and Sam bringing up the rear. Then the three men separated once they were inside and Sam saw to her surprise most of the SGC's personnel lined up in neat rows around the edge of the room. Liz, Alex, their friends and families had also been arranged neatly to one side and her father was standing smack-dab in front of them. A podium had been set up at the top of the ramp to the Stargate and General Hammond stood waiting behind it.

"Wha-what's going on, sir?" Sam asked Jack.

Jack was about to respond when General Hammond spoke up from where he stood behind the podium.

"SG-1, will you come forward, please?"

Daniel left Sha're and walked up the ramp with his teammates to stand in a row on its right side.

"Before you leave, I have one small bit of business which I thought best to perform here rather than on Antar." General Hammond explained. "Please come to attention."

Everyone in the room, even the civilians stiffened as the General read a letter.

"From the Vice-Chief of Staff of the Air Force; in recognition of Captain Samantha Carter's outstanding work, I hereby authorize her immediate promotion to the rank of Major. Captain, step forward."

After Sam stood by his left side, the General continued.

"The United States Air Force has recognized that you have fulfilled tasks and duties well beyond the rank of Captain. It is with great pleasure that I bestow on you the responsibilities, the respect and the rank of Major."

As the General pinned her new rank insignia on Sam's right epaulet, Colonel O'Neill came forward to pin the other one on her left. When they were done, Major Carter saluted her superiors smartly.

"Thank you, sir." She told the General, smiling as Hammond returned her salute.

At this, everyone in the room broke out into applause and cheers. Sam blushed but turned to walk back down the ramp with her teammates.

"Well done...Major." Jack O'Neill told her sincerely and then left to perform his duties prior to departure as Jacob walked up.

"Sammy, I am so proud of you!" Retired General Jacob Carter said as he hugged his daughter.

"Thanks, Dad." Sam said trying not to cry.

"I am very proud of you too, Samantha." Selmac added.

"Thanks." Sam told the symbiote. "I'd better get up to the Control Room so we can leave on time." Sam said to cover her emotions and Jacob let her go still grinning broadly after his little girl.

Someone brought the podium down from its place in front of the Stargate, most of the personnel went back to work and General Hammond joined the newly promoted Major up in the Control Room.

"Sir, thank you for this ceremony, it meant a lot, that it was performed here in the SGC." Sam said, looking back over her shoulder.

"I believed that this honor should be given separately from the one you will receive on Antar, tonight." The General agreed. "And that all of your scientific colleagues and fellow airmen should be present for the promotion you earned while working here among them."

"Thank you again, sir." Sam said trying not to let any tears fall. Her superior saw her struggle and cleared his throat gruffly.

"Everything seams to be a go, begin the dialing program, airman." He ordered the sergeant who was seated in front of the computer.

"Yes, sir; Stargate dialing, chevron one engaged..." He said.

Down in the Gateroom, Daniel, Liz and Alex were preparing their friends and family for what they were about to see, but gasps and one startled cry came out of Amy DeLuca's mouth as the wormhole was established and the Stargate whooshed out its wave of energy. Max left the group and ran up the stairs to the Control Room. As Max spoke to his people on Antar, giving the required security codes, the parents received their first realization that they were truly about to travel to a distant planet, an alien land...because Max was not speaking English, but another language, the like of which none of them had ever heard before.

"What is Max saying?" Nancy asked Daniel.

"Um, I don't really know, Mrs. Parker; I haven't had the chance to really learn Antarian yet." Daniel admitted.

"I would imaging that he is informing his people that he and the others are returning home and that they are brining guests, Mom." Liz said.

Just then, Max finished speaking and he and Major Carter came back down into the Gateroom.

"Okay folks, as we explained before, we're going to use the buddy system." Jack O'Neill explained. "Major Carter, Teal'c and I will go through first to show you how easy it is; those of you who have stepped through the Stargate before, take the hand of the first-timer you've been partnered with...and let's go!"

Michael took Amy's and Maria's hands, Alex took his father's, Isabel took each of her parents' hands, Liz took Jeff's and Max took Nancy's, while Kyle and Jim Valenti declined to hold hands but instead walked up the ramp besides Daniel, Sha're and Jacob Carter. One by one, they all stepped through the Stargate and only moments later stepped out onto Antarian soil.

Everyone was exclaiming, chattering and or laughing after the experience as Max gently disengaged Nancy Parker's hand from his own before he and the other three royal Antarians walked over to the guards who were positioned nearby. Here the parents saw the first sign of the four young people's authority as the guards snapped to attention upon their leaders' approach. Their conversation took only a few minutes but when they returned to their friends and families, Max and the others were wearing the headbands which marked their royal rank.

"I like it!" Liz whispered to Max as she brushed his bangs off of his forehead so that the headband was more visible.

"You do?" Max asked. "Well, you'll be given a set of your very own as soon as we're married." He reminded her and then turned to everyone else. "Welcome to Antar, everyone. If you'll follow me, we have some transports which will take us down to the Capital, waiting outside."

Everyone agreed to that, picked up their luggage and followed Max and Liz out of the giant cave. But as they came out into the sunshine, it was Max's turn to be surprised. A huge crowd of perhaps hundreds of his people had gathered outside the cave to welcome their leaders home. They were cheering, clapping and singing with joy.

"Oh man, I begged them not to do this!" Max muttered to Liz, his ears starting to turn red as he turned back to the crowd and shyly smiled and waved at them.

Jeff Parker had heard the remark and wondered at Max's modesty; that all the power and popularity had not gone straight to the young man's head. Meanwhile, Max was holding up the hand which was not still holding onto Liz's smaller one, to quiet the crowd.

"Thank you so much for this wonderful welcome, everyone!" He called out in Antarian as Michael, Isabel and Tess quietly translated for their friends and family. "As you know, the four of us traveled to Earth only to attend a birthday party and wound up being reunited with our soul-mates." The crowd burst out in cheers again until Max's raised hand quieted them down again. "We were also reunited with the families who took us into their homes and raised us while we were on Earth. We have brought all of them, as well as our friends; SG-1 with us so that they could all see our home planet of Antar and get to know many of you as well." Max finished and the crowd broke out in cheers to welcome all of the visitors.

"Thanks again for being here today!" Isabel called out in a friendly dismissal and the crowds started to disburse.

"Before we go down, take a moment to look around." Max suggested to everyone in their group.

As they looked down upon the Capital of Antar, everyone saw the beautiful, yet alien architecture of the city below them and the exotic loveliness of the flowers, plants and trees, which covered the hillsides or decorated the parks among the buildings, in the city below.

"This is incredible, Max!" Philip managed to say.

Everyone else had been silenced, unable to think of anything to say, which would be worthy of the beautiful sight which lay before them.

"Yes, it is." Max agreed, looking down at his Capital. "Let's go down now, shall we? If you will all please take seats within these vehicles." Max pointed out the hover-craft which were waiting nearby.

Everyone did so and they were soon making their way down the hill, faster than anyone could have jogged down on foot but still slow enough to be given a great view of the countryside. The hover craft stopped at the outskirts of town and everyone exited the vehicles but left their luggage inside at Max's instruction. The vehicles took off again, towards the Royal Manor while the group started to walk down the street.

"We don't have fare to walk and I thought that you'd have a better chance to see our city up close this way." Isabel explained.

As they passed Khivar's royal palace, Daniel made a point of explaining to the parents what the building had once been and what it had recently become. Jack also pointed out the playground and explained that the Royal Four had been the ones to design and build it. When they all arrived at the manor, Isabel led everyone inside and gave them all a quick tour of the downstairs rooms; the livingroom, diningroom, library and kitchen before taking them all out onto the lovely back patio where drinks had been left for them and several other people were waiting.

"As you can see, we don't have a lot of room here; just five bedrooms upstairs..." Isabel said. "So we asked if some of our friends wouldn't mind hosting you while you are here and they all graciously said yes. They will be your hosts as well as interpreters, when we cannot be with you, as most Antarians do not speak English."

"Anywhere's fine as long as hosting us isn't too much trouble." Diane said sincerely.

"No trouble at all, Mrs. Evans; we are honored and happy to host the parents and friends of Zan, Valondra, Rath and Ava...known to you of course as Max, Isabel, Michael and Tess." A woman stepped forward to say.

"Mom, these are Paala and her husband, Josso; they will be yours and Mr. Whitman's hosts." Isabel said.

Then she introduced everyone else's hosts as well. The Parkers and Amy DeLuca were staying with another couple.

"SG-1, you will remember Mardall, Tholla, Seria and Beneck." Isabel pointed out the four-square who had fought beside them aboard Apophis' mother-ship. "Teal'c and Jim, you will be staying with Mardoll and Tholla, while Jack will stay with Seria and Sam, you will be staying at Beneck's house. I hope this isn't against your regulations or anything; a woman staying with a man and vice-versa. I'm just trying to match you up with people you already know and have common interests with. As you'll remember, Jack; Seria is more the warrior while Beneck is one of our best scientists for all the butt-kicking their four-square accomplished, fighting Apophis...and of course as you are our guests of honor they will be your escorts for the party tonight as well." Isabel explained.

"No, that'll be fine." Both Jack and Sam said casually...too casually, Isabel thought as she hid a smirk and watched the two officers surreptitiously glancing at each other as they said it.

Max gave Isabel an intense stare for a moment, one she returned with an innocent glance before continuing. "And Sha're and Daniel will have the guest room Sha're occupied before."

The hosts then moved forward to introduce themselves before leading their guests to their homes where they could rest a little and freshen up. After seeing their parents off to their accommodations, Max turned back to Liz and the others.

"Uh, why don't the rest of you make yourselves comfortable, either outside or within...Isabel and I have to go speak to Valaria...our birth-mother. While she knew about Apophis' attacking Antar and SG-1's coming through the Stargate to fight beside us, she does not know what happened after that...our traveling through the Gate back to Earth or about our being reunited with all of you."

"Uh oh." Alex murmured uneasily.

"Do you want me to come with you, Max?" Liz asked.

"I'd love to have you beside me, Liz; but I think it would be best if only Isabel and I speak to her this time...explain everything." Max said.

"Of course...but if I can help..." Liz agreed.

"Thanks for that, Liz...I love you." Max murmured softly to her as he kissed her cheek, but then turned away and walked beside his sister, through some saplings and bushes to a house partially visible beyond them.

"How is Valaria likely to take the news about you guys being reunited with us?" Liz asked Michael and Tess.

"I don't know, Liz." Michael replied. "Valaria is a Very strong woman, one of Antar's best and most beloved queens...she ruled beside her husband for many years and then brought our people through over fifty years of civil war...and yet sending her children away from herself and this planet to keep us safe and to allow us to grow up was one of the hardest things she's ever had to do."

"Max and Isabel will have to convince her that they will never leave Antar to live on Earth again." Tess finished. "All of us, especially you Liz and Alex will have to make your homes here on Antar and only commute to Earth if necessary..."

The friends had talked back and forth while they relaxed out on the lovely patio; Michael and Tess answering the first of their many, many questions for over an half hour, when Max and Isabel returned followed by an older woman. Everyone stood when they saw her and realized who she must be. Max and Isabel came to stand before their friends with Valaria in between them.

"Mother, I'd like you to meet our loves and very good friends." Max said before he began to introduce everyone to her...Isabel introduced Alex and then finally..."Mother...this is Liz; Elizabeth Claudia Parker. Liz, this is our mother; Her Royal Highness, Valaria, Dowager Queen of Antar."

Max introduced them formally, unlike the casual introductions he had made for everyone else. Liz was special...to him and to Antar, as she would be taking his mother's place as Queen of Antar by his side, one day soon.

"Your Highness." Liz somehow said and did all the correct things; dipping a quick yet graceful curtsy to the older woman. "It is an honor and pleasure to meet you, ma'am."

"Elizabeth Parker, it is my pleasure to meet you and to welcome you to Antar." Valaria replied rather stiffly but then she smiled and her amber eyes lit up. "Zan has been talking about you for years...I am glad that he was able to find you again...I know that you have made him very happy."

"I hope so, ma'am." Liz replied smiling back at her.

"Wow, I guess the meeting went well with mommy-dearest." Maria whispered to Michael who nodded.

"Valaria was concerned that we would abandon her and return to Earth, but we have assured her that we will never do that to her or our people." Isabel explained. "After that, she insisted on coming out to meet you all right away." Valaria nodded.

"My children..." Valaria's open arms encompassed all four of them. "Have told me a great deal about all four of you over the years...and about your parents. I look forward to meeting them tonight."

"Thank you, ma'am." Alex said smiling.

"Well I know that you want to get out and look around and that Zan has some other business which he must attend to, so I will leave you be for now." Valaria said.

"Thank you, Mother." Max told her and she lifted her hands to stroke the cheeks of her son and daughter.

"May you always be happy together with your soul-mates." She said and then turned to retrace her steps back to her nearby home.

"Uh, guys; where did Daniel and Sha're go?" Max asked, after Valaria had left; only just noticing that their friends were missing.

"Sha're took Daniel inside, to show him their room and then I think they were going to walk in the gardens, out front." Liz explained and Max nodded.

"So, what's the plan for the rest of the day?" Kyle asked them.

"I have to meet with the Council...I know it will probably be boring for you, but would you like to come with me, Liz?" Max asked.

"Sure, Max." Liz agreed.

"Good!" Max smiled. "That shouldn't take too long; since I kept in touch with them while we were gone. Our parents should be coming back soon and then the rest of you can take a tour of the Capital. Liz and I will catch up with you after my meeting...but before they do come...Isabel, what are you planning for Jack and Sam?"

"What do you mean, Max?" Isabel asked innocently.

"I know you made the arrangements for SG-1's accommodations before we even left Antar and then you asked me to confirm them with Seria and Beneck when I checked in the other day..." Max trailed off but pinned his sister with his amber stare.

"Okay, okay...I'm just...trying to get them together." Isabel explained. "Even a blind man could see how much they mean to each other and from what I've heard they'd do anything for each other...except admit their feelings to the other...or take any steps to change the regulations which keep them apart."

"That is true." Alex agreed. "I've heard around the SGC that they've risked their own lives to save each other's; of course they more or less live together when they travel off world and somehow manage to get along and have become best friends."

"So what are you planning exactly?" Max asked Isabel.

"Well, I figure all the other circumstances for bringing two people together have already happened to Jack and Sam; they're good friends, they have a lot in common in their work, yet also have their own individual lives, they have fought side by side, seen each other wounded and vulnerable!...What else is there? I'm going to make them jealous!" Isabel stated, rubbing her hands together in glee.

"Oh man, this should be good!" Michael smirked.

"But what about Seria and Beneck, mightn't they get hurt; being in the middle of all this?" Liz asked.

"I don't think so, Liz." Isabel assured her friend and brother who were both worried about the consequences. "Seria and Beneck are both just good friends and are in on this for the fun of it...nothing is going to happen between either of them and Sam or Jack. I just think that they'll really hit it off with their house-guests; have a lot to talk about. They are both quite charming and will probably get the laughter flowing in no time flat...and besides which you have to admit...Seria is lovely and Beneck is quite handsome...although not my style..." Isabel assured Alex who only grinned back at her, secure in Isabel's love and his feelings for her in return. "That should spice it up just enough to make things sizzle!"

"So they've saved each other's lives and are really good friends, but how can you be sure that there really is that 'something extra' hidden somewhere within those two?" Maria asked.

"I saw some interesting things when I dream-walked them." Isabel said grudgingly.

"You dream-walked them, when?" Kyle asked.

"When we first came to Earth." Michael answered for her. "We felt pretty secure in our relationship with SG-1, but we had to be sure that there wasn't anyone with an ulterior motive, working at the SGC, so I asked Isabel to check them out for us."

"Uh...huh." Kyle said thoughtfully and then grinned. "So, what kinda stuff did ya see?" He asked.

"I'm not going to tell you that, Kyle!" Isabel rebuked. "Michael and I had an agreement that I would only tell him anything which pertained to us...everything else was to remain private."

"Oh come on!" Kyle exclaimed.

"Just a little something!" Tess begged.

"There must have been something really good to make you turn into a match-maker!" Maria said.

"Nah, she's always been a stick-her-nose-into-other-people's-business-and turn-their-lives-upside-down-kinda-girl." Max said standing a safe distance from his sister.

"Oh you!" Isabel exclaimed irritated. "Oh all right! There was one rather sweet thing I saw which I guess I can tell you about, but no more than that and you have to promise not to tell anyone else about it." Isabel insisted.

After all of the friends agreed, she told them.

"There was a time, not too long ago, when Daniel and Sam were wounded while SG-1 was off-world. Sam's wound was only superficial, but Daniel's was rather serious. Anyway, on the day Daniel was to be released from the Infirmary, Sam, Jack and Teal'c came to pick him up. When she saw him, Sam hugged Daniel in a friendly, I'm-glad-you're-okay-kinda-way. What I saw in one of Jack's dreams was his wish that Sam would hug him that way in the very least, instead of calling him 'sir' all of the time and saluting him...there were a lot of emotions which came along with that dream, but I'm not going to tell you lot about any of them." Isabel finished and her friends groaned.

"Oh...that is so sweet! So the crusty Colonel has a soft, gooey center?" Liz asked.

"Well, at least a small one and he really wants it to ooze all over Sam." Isabel agreed.

"What about Sam, you must have seen something in her dreams too." Alex coaxed.

"Yes I did..." Isabel said grudgingly but then relented. "Oh all right, I'll tell you about just one time...um... Sam and Jack were trapped inside an ice-cave and Jack was badly hurt. In the end, right before they were rescued, Jack started to hallucinate and thought that Sam was his ex-wife...in her dream, Sam wished that she was his wife so that she could comfort and love him at other times besides when he was at death's door."

"Wow..." Maria sighed.

"I think we get the picture, even if we didn't get to hear any of the 'good stuff'!" Alex said.

"Yeah...it's a go for 'Operation Matchmaker'!" Max agreed and everyone grinned before he took Liz's hand and led her away from their friends and towards the Council meeting. "See you later, guys."

Part 28

The parents and SG-1 returned to the Manor with their hosts, after freshening up a bit, at the same time that Daniel and Sha're returned from their walk through the front gardens.

"Where are Liz and Max?" Jeff asked.

"Max needed to meet with the Council and asked Liz to accompany him." Isabel replied and Jeff frowned.

"What's wrong, honey?" Nancy asked her husband.

"Well..." Jeff hesitated and then continued. "Don't you think Max is rushing things? Liz hasn't been on Antar for even one hour and he pulls her away from us so that she can sit in on a Council-meeting."

"Mr. Parker, I think my brother just wanted to keep Liz close by, no matter where he needed to be." Isabel explained. "But, on the other hand, when they marry and Liz is made our queen, she will officially become one of Max's closest advisors...which actually, she always has been. Liz may be bored at this meeting, but it might help her to begin understanding our ways here on Antar."

"I...guess so." Jeff conceded thoughtfully.

"So, does everyone have their walking shoes on?" Tess asked brightly. "We thought we'd take you all on a tour...SG-1, you are welcome to come with us, we'll point out several areas of interest to you as we go, or your hosts will be happy to guide you individually."

"I think seeing an overview of the city would be a good idea." Jack answered and with that, the group started out.

Over an hour later, Max and Liz caught up with their friends and Jeff was reassured by the happy expression on both his daughter's and future son-in-law's faces as well as their interwoven fingers and clasped hands. And as well as happiness, there was a look of respect streaming out of Liz's eyes each time she glanced up at Max.

"So, how's the tour going and where are SG-1?" Max asked.

"They asked Seria and Beneck if they could go and see some specific places we passed, which would be of more interest to them, than to us." Tess explained.

"How did the meeting go, Liz?" Maria asked.

"A little boring since I didn't really know what they were talking about, even though everyone spoke English on my account, but it was okay and the Council members were all very nice." Liz said and then thought to herself. 'But I loved seeing Max at work; I've always respected his intelligence and leadership ability, among other things, but I think I respect him even more, after witnessing how well he handles all of the information he is given and the decisions he must make.'

None of their friends and families might have heard Liz's thoughts, but they could not miss seeing her loving glance strengthen with the respect she felt for her soul-mate...and grin to each other.

"So, what's the plan for the rest of the day?" Philip asked.

"We thought that we might show you some of the countryside villages and have a pick-nick up in the hills." Isabel said. "We want you to take it easy while you're here; remember that our days are thirty hours long instead of twenty-four and that takes some getting used to."

Everyone nodded in agreement, but Max turned to Liz.

"I'm sorry, Liz; but I'm going to have to stay here and meet with SG-1. We're going to start our negotiations." Max explained.

"I'd be interested to sit in on those talks with you, Max; but I know that SG-1 have everything well covered, so if you don't mind I'll go with everyone else." Liz replied.

"I'll miss you." Max whispered. "But I know you'll enjoy seeing the countryside villages." Max told her before kissing her brow.

So, the parents and friends with Isabel, Michael and Tess headed out while Max contacted Beneck and asked him to bring SG-1 back to the Manor. When they arrived, the four Earthlings and Sha're Jackson agreed that they were eager to sit down and begin discussing what both sides wanted to gain from their treaty.

Max was willing to share Antar's communications, space travel, medical and other technologies; their military strength was psi-based and therefore unusable by Humans. Antar, on the other hand, needed technical personnel to add to their own tech-people, to rebuild their space fleet. Colonel O'Neill gave the SGC's position; they were willing to share the information they had gained about the Goa'uld, they wanted to work with and learn space-ship building techniques from the Antarians and O'Neill suggested that they work together to build two faster-than-light-ships, one for Antar and one for Earth. Jack also suggested setting up a small training facility in which both Antarian and SGC soldiers could be trained to fight the Goa'uld and protect each of their planets. The U.S. military had already started to specially train some of its officers in techniques for fighting the parasites, but needed a proper and top-secret base in which to do the training.

"As things stand now, we foresee the closing off of several floors of the SGC to run training scenarios, once the first batch of specially picked troops graduate. Having a facility here would benefit both of our worlds." Jack finished.

"Jack's right, but if our two peoples are going to work and/or train together there is the little problem of our two different languages." Daniel spoke up. "Will all Earth personnel need to learn Antarian and vice versa...I could foresee that as being quite a problem."

"That is a good point." Max agreed. "But we have a solution which up until now hasn't been necessary, since the four of us speak English. We have a method which allows a person to learn key information or facts in a very short period of time. This method works very well for learning other languages; in fact that's how the four of us were taught our native-tongue after we returned to Antar. This method does not work well, however for teaching concepts or advanced theory...anything which will be built on, added to, or need to be analyzed, etc."

"So that's why we will need to be personally taught your technologies." Sam nodded understanding. "But being able to use this method to learn Antarian will be fantastic; I've never been very successful at learning other languages."

The group continued to discuss how the method worked and how it could be implemented on both SGC personnel and Antarians alike. They also made good headway in figuring out what technologies they were willing to share and through what manner the information could be exchanged. Finally, though the afternoon passed and it became time for everyone to rest a little and then dress for the ceremony.

Two hours later the friends, family-members and hosts all gathered on the back patio of the Royal Manor. O'Neill and Carter were back in their dress uniforms, Daniel in his sharp blue suit, Teal'c in his white one and Sha're in her lovely print dress. The parents had changed into suits and pretty dresses as had Alex, Kyle, Maria and Liz, respectively. All of their hosts were in Antarian costumes of slacks or long, full skirts and sleeveless tunics, but over these they wore long hemmed, long sleeved coats, which were made of light materials so they floated out behind the wearer. Most of the men wore solid-colored coats of all colors and the women wore brightly patterned designs on theirs.

Liz thought that Max looked very handsome in his dark gold or amber-colored outfit, with the same brown embroidery down the left-front of his coat, which had been sewn onto the front of the tunic he had worn earlier. The color of his outfit set off his tanned face and brought out the gold highlights in his dark brown hair. He also wore a matching headband, this time with a thin brown cord woven through it and he wore the band on top of his hair, except for his bangs, which insisted on falling over the band.

For his part, Max thought that Liz looked gorgeous in her burgundy halter-dress. It had no sleeves or back to it, instead the glimmering fabric spread out and down from the high neckline in soft, vertical folds to the waist where it gently circled around to her back and then became a long, full skirt which almost sparkled as she gracefully walked beside him.

"I hope we aren't too late." General Hammond said as he and Dr. Janet Fraser walked up to the group, having just come through the Stargate and been brought down the hill by one of the Antarian guards.

Both were wearing their dress uniforms. The General had come because of course he was SG-1's commanding officer and Janet had come because she was Sam's best friend and she would also be studying here with some of the Antarian physicians in the near future.

"No, General, Doctor; you're just in time." Max said and Isabel motioned for someone to come forward.

"Janet, this is Ebron, one of our foremost physicians, whom you will be working with; I thought that the two of you might get to know each other a little tonight." Isabel introduced them.

Janet tried to surreptitiously glance up and down the tall form of the handsome doctor before her. As she did so, she noticed Ebron doing the same thing to her and they grinned shyly, embarrassed at being caught, but still attracted as they greeted each other. Max saw the exchange and glanced over to his sister in resignation, but Isabel only shrugged her shoulders innocently and Max sighed.

Just then Valaria stepped onto the patio and Max went to greet his mother and draw her over to the group. As he began to introduce her to first the SGC personnel and then the parents, Max wondered how his birth-mother would respond to meeting his adoptive parents.

"...And finally, these are Philip and Diane Evans." Max introduced them, knowing that he need not give any explanation as to who they were to himself and Isabel.

Jealousy and gratitude warred within Valaria's heart as she was introduced to the Human couple who had found her children out in the desert, taken them home and then adopted them as their own. But as she looked into Diane Evans' eyes and saw a mother's love hiding behind the nervousness, all negative emotions dissolved and she stepped forward with a serene expression on her face and both hands outstretched to grasp Diane's hand between them.

"It is such a pleasure to meet both of you. Antar owes you a great debt and I have wanted to thank you for taking such great care of my children, all of these years...and making it possible for them to return to us in our hour of need."

"It wasn't hard; we love them as our own." Diane replied simply.

"They're great kids...all four of them; we're proud of who they have become." Philip added.

Valaria smiled at this and everyone subtly relaxed.

"It's time for us to leave; if you will all follow me, the ceremony will be held in a park nearby." Max said. "General Hammond, if you would escort our mother?"

"It would be my honor, Your Majesties." Hammond bowed his head to Max and then to Valaria. "If you would allow me, ma'am?" He asked the Dowager Queen as he proffered his arm for her to take.

"Thank you, General." Valaria said as she slipped her hand through his arm and allowed him to escort her, a few steps behind her son and future daughter, to the open-air theatre nearby and everyone else processed behind them.

The theater had been built into the side of hill, in the shape of a half-circle. The stage was at the foot of the hill and tiers with benches had been built into the bottom half of the slope. The upper half of the hill was covered in grass and dotted with shade trees and was perfect to seat thousands of extra people, on portable chairs or blankets. As the royal party walked out onto the stage, the thousands of people, whether sitting on benches or blankets, all stood up and started to cheer. Max quickly showed everyone where to sit; their friends and family in reserved seats in the front row, their loves, escorted to their seats by each of the Royal Four. SG-1, Sha're and the General were shown seats on one side of the small stage, Valaria, Isabel, Michael, Tess and Max took seats on the other, almost facing the guests of honor.

"Thank you everyone, for welcoming our guests of honor so wonderfully!" Max greeted the crowds in Antarian, ignoring the fact that many of the cheers were for him as well as for SG-1, as the hosts translated for their guests. "Before we honor these brave visitors from another world, though, we would like to honor all of you first, because every one of you had a part in our victory over the Goa'uld." Max said.

As he said this, dozens of men and women came out from back stage; each levitating large bunches of flowers. There were five colors of flowers and each of the Royal Four and Valaria stood to take their place beside a particular colored bundle. The volunteers who had brought out the flowers and who remained to stand nearby and help were already wearing a spray of flowers pinned to their clothing or in their hair.

"First of all we honor the elderly members of our community. They have already fought bravely in many past battles. As they stayed in the shelters with the children, I am told that they each took turns, telling stories and singing songs to help pass the time and brighten the spirits of everyone in the shelters...at this time we would ask that all of you please stand." Max called out.

As the aged stood, their friends and families around them cheered and clapped for them. At the same time, Valaria and her group of helpers levitated a spray of purple flowers out to each and every person standing.

"Next we honor the children. They have never known violence, war or fear and must have been very frightened and yet every one of our children immediately did what their parents or teachers told them to do and marched quickly and bravely down into the shelters. None of our youngsters was hurt or lost by disobeying the instructions they were given. I know that many of you joined in with the elders of our community when they sang to you. Would all of you children please stand up...stand on the benches if you have to, so that we can see you!" Max instructed.

Everyone clapped and cheered for the children as Isabel and her helpers levitated yellow flowers out to each and every child. Mothers caught flowers for the smallest among them.

"We now honor the care givers, who stayed in the shelters to look after the elderly and the children. Not everyone could take their places in a four-square; our innocent young and honorable elders needed to be protected. We knew that we could count on all of you to care for our loved ones and that you would fight to keep them safe if the enemy got past the four-squares. Would all of you please stand." Max called out.

The cheers and clapping started again as Tess and her group sent out sprays of flowers with light green and light blue petals on them.

"Next we honor the healers. These brave people not only cared for our sick and elderly in the shelters, or stayed in the hospitals to care for the wounded, many of them were out in the field, among the fighting-squares. But they worked alone or only in pairs, without the protective power of a complete connection, while giving immediate medical attention to the wounded. Would all of the healers please stand." Max called out.

The cheers were extra loud and enthusiastic as Max himself and his group sent flowers out to these people. The flowers looked quite a bit like poinsettias, a large, red flower with dark green leaves...and yet they were different.

"The last but not least group we honor are the four-squares. These people used their own energies and risked their lives to defend all of us against an enemy we had never seen before and who had advanced weaponry. Would all of you please stand." Max called out.

Michael and his group sent out flowers with hundreds of tiny burnt-orange petals all up and down the stem as the crowd cheered for them. And then the Royal Four were each surprised when a flower stalk floated down to them as well. After all they had fought in their own four-square along with their people.

"Wow...thank you very much!" Max said humbly as he blushed. "Well now it's time to honor our guests." Max motioned to SG-1.

"Sha're Jackson, you were imprisoned within your own body, but you fought the demon, Amonette and after she was killed you helped us start to understand the Stargate and the Goa'uld. Major General Hammond, you command the SGC; a very impressive and unique military command; I'm sure it's nothing like any Earth military commander has ever had to face before. And most of all, SG-1; Colonel Jack O'Neill, Major Samantha Carter, Dr. Daniel Jackson and Teal'c...you came through the Stargate to only explore our planet, meet us and to hopefully begin formal relations with us...and ended up saving our entire planet. Would you please stand."

Max said all of this in English while Michael translated for all of the people. The four-square who had fought beside SG-1 also came up to stand nearby as Max continued.

"You gave valuable intelligence to us on how to fight the Goa'uld, you risked your lives to board the mother-ship along with the four-square made up of Seria, Beneck, Mardall and Tholla and knocked out their formidable defensive shields...And now...you are helping us build a brighter future for Antar and Earth, through mutual sharing of technology, resources and friendship."

Max had to pause as the crowds started to cheer even louder than before as Seria and the others presented all of their new friends with flower bouquets of their own, made up with all five of the flower types.

"In recognition of everything you have done for us, may I present you with these..." Max continued.

Michael, Isabel and Tess came forward carrying between them five boxes and one by one, Max opened the boxes and presented the gifts to each of the SGC personnel, by pinning them to their uniforms above all of their other medals, or in Daniel's case, onto his lapel. The medal/pin was a simplified version of the pendant which the Royal Four had given Sha're on her birthday (and which she was wearing for the occasion); the V-formation of the Antarian region of space. Theirs' were made up of five golden spheres attached to each other by delicate, clear crystal rods and within the formation, also joined to the rest with crystals was the Antarian symbol for friend.

"...In hope that all of us here will always remain good and loyal friends and that our two worlds may grow in friendship as well." Max finished.

"Thank you very much, Your Majesty." Hammond said solemnly after receiving his medal. Max then turned towards his people and called out in Antarian as Seria translated for SG-1.

"My people, let us honor the men and women of Stargate Command!"

All of the crowds stood up from their benches, chairs or blankets and started to clap and cheer. They waived their flowers and Sam could not help but think that this had been one of the most moving and by far the most beautiful award ceremonies she had ever attended, as she looked up at all of the people and the multicolored flower petals which were beginning to float through the air.

"Now...we have a celebration planned in the park up the hill." Isabel had to raise her voice over the cheering so that the guests of honor, their friends and families could hear her. "Let's go!"

Seria and the other hosts gathered their guests together and led them up the steps to the top of the hill where a large and beautiful park spread out before them. As the people gathered into groups to chat, a delicious buffet was quickly spread out on tables. SG-1 and their friends were led through the buffet by their hosts who explained what all the different foods were so that they could each make their selections. They all found places to sit on blankets which had been spread out on the ground and tried a little bit of everything on their plates.

"Mmmm, this is so good!" Nancy Parker almost moaned as she took another bite of a purple-colored fruit.

"Mmhm...so is this!" Amy agreed as she ate a thick slice of fresh bread, spread with some sort of green cheese.

They chatted about how beautiful and moving the ceremony had been and all they had seen so far since they had arrived. Their hosts answered many of their questions and they all got to know each other a little bit better. When music started to play, Max stood up.

"Liz, would you like to dance?" He held his hand down to her.

"Sure, I'd love to!" Liz said taking his hand so that Max could pull her to her feet.

Alex, Michael and Kyle soon followed Max's example as did Jim Valenti, asking Amy DeLuca to partner him. The rest of the group, having finished all of their food, also stood up a few minutes later and wandered over to the large dance floors where dozens of couples were dancing. The young couples from their party had successfully picked up the new dance steps, but Amy and Jim were watching from the sidelines; clapping their hands to the beat of the music. Next came a set of circle, line and square dances. Sam watched the dancers sway, twirl, dip and jump their way around the dance floor and could not keep her feet from tapping the beat.

"Would you like to dance, Major?" Beneck asked, seeing Sam's enthusiasm.

"Sure, Beneck, that sounds like fun!" Sam agreed.

She took his hand to be led up to the dance floor, but as they waited to take their places in the dance-set, Sam realized she was wearing her tight dress-uniform skirt.

"Rats, I wonder if I'll be able to dance at all in this thing." She mumbled.

"Hmmm, yes your skirt is rather...uh...form-fitting, if I may say so, Major." Beneck agreed, looking down. "I could change it for you, if you'd like."

"What?" Sam asked.

"Like this." Beneck said before he waived his glowing hand down across Sam's skirt, just a few inches separating his skin from the material...and Sam's legs. "There, how's that?" He asked.

Sam looked down and was surprised to see that her tight-straight skirt had changed. It was now longer and fuller, but still navy-blue. Her fingers grasped the sides of the skirt and pulled them out to see how full it was now.

"Hey that's great, now I can really move!" Sam exclaimed happily as she unbuttoned her uniform jacket and then took Beneck's hand and pulled him onto the dance floor. "Come on, show me the steps..."

Down in the crowd, Jack O'Neill was watching Sam up on the dance floor.

"Hey, what did that Beneck-guy just do to Sam...uh...Major Carter?" He demanded.

"I'm sure Beneck meant only to fix the Major's skirt as a courtesy, Colonel. True, his actions were a little familiar, but I'm sure he meant no disrespect." Max, who also had been watching, assured Jack. "Would you like me to speak to him...or as the Major's superior officer, do you feel that it is your duty to say something to Beneck?" Max asked formally.

"Hmm?...uh...as her superior officer?...oh, uh, no...as her superior...I don't think that'll be necessary..." Jack said, but he was thinking...'as her...friend, I'd like to break a couple of his oh-so thoughtful...glowing...fingers, though...' "No, let's not say anything, it looks like the uh...Major...is having fun." Jack said. 'Only wish it was me she was dancing with, though.' He thought silently and then sighed.

Max heard the sigh and glanced over to Isabel who had been listening to the conversation between her brother and the Colonel. An ever-so-slight smug expression gently curved her lips, but she did not say anything before pulling Alex behind her, back towards the dance floor and as he watched them go, it was Max's turn to sigh.

Part 29

The day after the awards ceremony was Sunday for the Humans and the friends and parents spent as much time together as possible. That night, everyone would have to return to Roswell, except Jim Valenti, who was retired. The Evans, Parkers, DeLucas and Kyle Valenti had all run out of vacation time from their jobs, but they were determined to return on as many weekends as possible to see their loves, or their children.

SG-1, Sha're, Janet Fraser, Liz and Alex would be staying on Antar, to learn and to train or would make the easy commute from Earth through the Stargate, each day. Jim Valenti had spoken to both Max and to General Hammond and had received permission to stay as well, to help with training the troops as well as to receive further training in fighting aliens himself. Jim had fought the Skins alongside Max and the others for over a year and his experience would be valuable, even if it was in fighting a different species from the Goa'uld.

For a second night, Jack brooded as he lay in his lonely bed, remembering the sight of Sam laughing and dancing with Beneck. He himself was quite a good dancer; he had, had lots of practice while stationed at the Pentagon, earlier in his career, dancing with the other officers' wives. But he had resisted the urge to ask Sam to dance, even though most of the dancing being done was harmless square- or line-dancing.

An attraction to Samantha Carter had built up within him over a year ago, until he had to admit to himself, during certain weak moments, that he loved her as a woman, as well as being one of her best friends and respecting her greatly as the officer and brilliant scientist she was, but Jack felt that their situation was hopeless...Even IF Sam actually returned his feelings for her, intimate relations between teammates and or superior and subordinate officers were strictly against the regulations. And although he was not too worried about his own career, he would not do anything to hurt Sam's impressive record and so he kept his emotional distance from her on missions and tried to protect his own vulnerable heart with a prickly camouflage of grumpiness and sarcastic comments.

Of course it did not help that over the next several weeks, at least once a day, he would walk into a room; living room, storeroom, or garden shed, to find one couple or another kissing, hugging or otherwise making out. This was especially true of Michael and Maria, or Kyle and Tess. Since they were separated from each other during the week, they were determined to make the most of their weekends together.

"Oh for crying out loud, not you two...too!" Jack exclaimed.

He had walked around a stack of shelves in the city's library, to find Sha're pressed up against another bank of shelves and Daniel, his hands on each side of her face and his body only an inch away from touching hers, kissing his beloved wife passionately.

"What the...?" Daniel exclaimed as his head whipped around and Sha're cried out in shock. "Jack what are you doing here, I thought you were working on the design for the new training facility with Michael?"

"I was...hours ago, Daniel; I came looking for you because it's almost dinner time and even Max didn't know where you two were. What have you two been up to...besides the obvious?" Jack asked.

"We were working with Mergle..." Daniel said mentioning the interpreter's name and pointing to a nearby table piled with books. "Hmm...where did he go?"

"I didn't see a sign of him when I came inside." Jack said.

"Oh dear, Dan'yel...I hope that we did not offend him when we became...um...distracted..." Sha're murmured.

"I'm sure Mergle's okay, Sha're." Daniel reassured her. "But I'll speak to him and apologize."

Thank you, my Dan'yel." Sha're said sweetly as she stroked his beard-shadowed cheek.

"Oh no you don't!" Jack yelled as he saw their eyes lock onto each other. "Dinner-time, remember?"

"Who needs food?" Daniel murmured but then he snapped out of his daze. "Yeah, right...dinner...okay, Love, we'd better go; I'll just write a note for the librarian, asking her to leave our books on the table."

All of the SGC personnel had participated in the process which would allow them to learn and understand Antarian and of course Daniel had excelled in mastering his twenty-sixth language.

"Looks like Merge already did that." Jack said, pointing to a note perched on top of one of the books.

"Oh...uh...good." Daniel said as he took Sha're's hand, to lead her outside.

On most evenings, SGC personnel ate a simple evening meal with their hosts, but once or twice a week, they gathered at the Royal Manor for a pot-luck or barbeque. During these informal group meals, everyone could report on their individual progress and discuss any problems they were having. It was obvious to everyone at the table that Sam Carter and Beneck were getting on very well and had a lot in common when it came to their work expertise, but Jack O'Neill could not see their relationship in the same benign way that their friends did.

'If I have to hear Carter say "Beneck and I did this...or Beneck was a great help with that"...one more time!' Jack exclaimed silently to himself. 'I'm gonna break something.'

"...and Beneck suggested..." Jack heard Sam say; focusing on only those three words and suddenly the glass in his hand shattered, spraying his fruit smoothie everywhere.

"Colonel!" Sam cried out.

"Jack!" His hostess, Seria exclaimed.

"Are you all right?" Max asked.

A rumble of questions and exclamations circled the table as Max and Sam got up to move closer and see the damage, made by the glass to Jack's hand. Sam had always been the medic within SG-1, but before she could reach her C.O., Seria had gently taken his hand in both of hers, to see the injury for herself. It was Sam's turn to become jealous as the other woman tended to the Colonel.

"Max, could you take a look at Jack's hand, please?" Seria asked her friend and king, after she had carefully levitated all of the glass shards out of his skin and wiped away the blood.

"Hey, it's not that bad; you could just bandage it." Jack replied.

"No problem at all, Jack." Max countered as he took the injured hand in one of his.

Max concentrated as he passed his other glowing hand over Jack's to make sure that every bit of glass had been removed before healing the cuts.

"There, all done." He said a moment later.

"Thanks!" Jack replied, flexing the now healed hand.

"You're welcome." Max replied before going back to his seat next to Liz and the rest of the evening continued without any further incident.

But, the next night, something would happen which would really set the green-eyed monster; jealousy loose...

"Ohh, I hate it when I do that." Sam Carter muttered to herself after throwing up, having just reached the guest bathroom in time. "It must have been something I ate...not that I'm blaming your cooking, Beneck; it was very good."

"Thank you for that, Samantha, but I think you may be correct about your food being what made your stomach upset. Come; let me help you to your bed."

Beneck took her arm to steady Sam as she rinsed her mouth out with water and then walked her into her bedroom and over to the bed, where he pulled back the sheets and blankets with a sweep of his hand, so that she could sit down.

"Come, let's get you tucked in." Beneck said as he lifted Sam's pajama-covered legs to help her turn around in bed until she was leaning back against the headboard and could pull the bedclothes up around her. "I'll go make you some tea and be right back." He said and then left the room.

"Okay, tea sounds nice." Sam agreed to his departing back as she snuggled into the pillows behind her.

Just a few moments later, Beneck returned with a small tray holding a lovely, small china teapot and matching cup and saucer. He set the tray on the nightstand and then sat on the edge of Sam's bed to pour the tea.

"This is a special blend of tea, which is very soothing for upset stomachs and I want you to drink all of the tea in the pot, before you go to sleep tonight." Beneck said as he passed the cut to Sam.

"Mmmm, this does smell nice...is there a little bit of mind in this?" Sam asked.

"If I understand what you mean by the term 'mint'...uh, no there isn't any in the tea, but these particular tea leaves do have a slightly minty flavor to them." Beneck answered.

"So...could you explain what you meant about something I ate upsetting my stomach? I'm just asking in case there's something I need to avoid in the future." Sam reassured her host.

"I'm so sorry, Sam...I used a spice tonight when I made the entre, which a very small percentage of our people are allergic to. But so few people are affected by it and even they do not have as severe a reaction to it as you had tonight, that it did not even occur to me that it would be of any harm to you...I am so sorry, Samantha." Beneck said sincerely.

"Beneck, it is all right; I am all right...really." Sam assured him. 'Really, he's like a cute, Teddy bear!' Sam thought to herself as she smiled up at her host.

"If...if you're sure...I could always call Max to come over...or Colonel O'Neill." Beneck suggested.

"No need to bother either of them, I'm fine; especially now that I have finished that soothing tea of yours." Sam said passing Beneck her cup.

"Good...well, maybe you'd better snuggle down into the covers and get a good night's sleep...the tea will help you with that too; it has a very mild sedative quality to it." Beneck suggested.

"Thanks, I am sleepy; we've been working hard these last few days." Sam agreed.

"Yes, but it's certainly been fascinating..." Beneck grinned, more back to his usual self.

"It has been that." Sam agreed.

Beneck grinned, but before he stood up he leaned over, pushed aside Sam's bangs and then kissed her on her brow, just as he had done many times to his young nieces and nephews.

"Close your eyes now and go to sleep, Samantha." He said before turning out the light and then standing up.

Beneck picked up the tea-tray and left the room...

...Outside Beneck's house, Jack O'Neill was walking home after checking in on Daniel and Sha're. He knew that it was too late at night to look in on Carter, but he did look over at the first floor window, behind which he believed was her bedroom...And silhouetted across the closed curtains came the familiar shadow of his second-in-command. Yup, that was Sam's room alright and it looked as though she was getting ready for some shut-eye...except that she was not alone. The shadow of a man was walking closely beside her and Jack could see his silhouette bend down to pull back the sheets on Sam's bed and help her into it. What in blue-blazes was going on in there? Jack wondered as he felt his blood-pressure start to climb.

The shadow, which Jack assumed to be Beneck's left the room but returned just a few moments later; he was carrying something, but Jack could not figure out what it was by his shadow. Sam's shadow was sitting up in bed and leaned forward as Beneck sat down on her bed. The shadows were distorted enough that Jack could not see that Sam was only drinking a cup of tea as he continued to watch. Moments later, though, Sam lay back down in bed and Beneck leaned down towards her...and then...the lights went out!

'Oh...man, Beneck is kissing Sam...Sam is in bed and Beneck has just leaned down to kiss her...and then he turned out the light...oh man!" Jack thought frantically.

He ran up to the front of Beneck's house and raised his hand to pound on the door. But his fist was a millimeter away from making contact with the wood, when he stopped himself and pulled back.

'What am I doing; pounding on the door like some love-sick adolescent? Or like Sam's outraged C.O....what would Sam think of me if I barged in there right now? Nothing favorable, that's for sure.' Jack thought to himself, as he tried to calm down. 'If...Beneck...is who she wants then...well...she should get him...he seems like a good man and they have so much in common...Hey! But what if he isn't who Sam wants? What if he's in there right now...forcing her..?'

Jack drew back his reclenched fist to pound on the door again, but then stopped himself.

'Who am I kidding? If Sam didn't want to return Beneck's...advances, she would have flattened him by now...and if that hadn't worked, Sam has a great set of lungs on her, she could have screamed this house down around ol' Beneck's ears if she had to...'

Jack's shoulders dropped as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and turned away from the front door.

'No...Sam can make her own decisions about who she wants...but he had better make her happy; that's all I've gotta say about it...or else he'll have Colonel Jack O'Neill on his skinny tail so fast he won't know what hit him.' Jack thought as he walked back to his accommodations in Seria's house. Part 30

The next morning, after Jack mistakenly believed that he had seen Sam and Beneck...um...kissing, until the lights went out, Jack came into the kitchen where his hostess, Seria was sitting drinking cohna; Antar's version of a caffeinated beverage.

"Good morning, Jack; would you like some cohna?" Seria asked pleasantly.

"Sure, thanks." Jack replied, but without his usually half-smile.

"Uh oh, someone woke up under the bed this morning." Seria half-teased.

"Huh? Oh, I think you mean 'woke up on the wrong side of the bed'." Jack corrected, but then nodded his agreement with her assessment. "Yeah, I guess I didn't sleep too well."

"Is something troubling you? Perhaps I can help." Seria offered and Jack hesitated before answering.

"Nah, it'll be okay; nothing a little time off won't cure...Speaking of which, don't you guys have weekends on this planet? We've been working for nine days straight." Jack commented.

"Weekends? Oh yes, a week is seven of your Earth days and your custom is to work for five days and then rest for two." Seria reminded herself.

"Yeah, although I don't mean to imply that we aren't willing to work hard or longer than five days at a time...just like we have been doing...I was just wondering if we could maybe take a break today. Hey, do Antarians fish?" Jack asked.

"Well of course we have rest days here on Antar." Seria answered. "Actually, since our days are longer than Earth's we usually work only four days in a row before taking one or two days to rest...I guess we haven't organized our work schedules that well yet, have we?" She apologized.

"No problem." Jack assured her. "So...do Antarians fish?" He asked again.

"As in taking fish out of the water, so that we can eat them? Of course." Seria answered, puzzled.

"That sounds like you're referring to people who catch lots of fish for your entire community." Jack tried to clarify. "I was talking about taking your fishing pole, some lures, some beer, finding a quiet spot along a riverbank and...you know...fishing."

"Ahh, I see; yes we do have a few people here in the city who enjoy fishing for the fun of it." Seria nodded her understanding.

"There ya go." Jack grinned.

"I have never tried it, but perhaps I could find someone who would wish to go fishing with you." Seria offered.

"Yeah sure that would be great...and then you could do whatever you like to do, to relax while I'm out of your hair for a while." Jack agreed.

"Out of my hair?" Seria asked, confused as she ran her fingers through her shoulder-length brown hair. "Oh no, no; I did not mean to imply that I would not be...intrigued...by learning how to fish...I think that might be fun to give a try, but I do not have any of the proper equipment..." Seria told him.

Hey great!" Jack grinned. "As to equipment, do you think we could borrow someone's? Otherwise I'm sure we could jury-rig something."

"Let me see what I can find out after breakfast. Seria said.

"Sweet!" Jack agreed.

Two hours later, Seria had made contact with some of the community's fishermen, but they were all either out fishing, or otherwise unavailable. Jack was undeterred though and managed to MacGyver a couple of fishing poles for them as well as some lures by fan-folding a couple old aluminum gum wrappers. And Seria used her powers to create two hooks.

"Fishing poles, check; lures, check; drinks, check; pick-nick hamper, check. Okay let's go, I think I even know where we can find a great fishing spot." Jack said and Seria smiled as they walked out the door.

Half an hour later, the two of them had found a quiet spot on a riverbank not far outside of the city. Jack had shown Seria the basics of how to fish, using their home-made fishing poles and they were both lazily casting their gum-wrapper-lures into the water. Suddenly, Seria felt a pull on her line and she jumped up from her seat on an old log.

"Jack, I think I've caught something!" She cried, excitedly.

"Okay, just pull the line in slowly; you don't want to startle him and make him try to escape the hook." Jack urged her in a soft voice.

"Oh-ka-y..." Seria whispered as she slowly drew the line in, hand over hand. "Uh oh, it's starting to fight me." She groaned and then stepped forward into the shallow water as she fought the struggling fish; the warm water lapping around her bare feet and ankles.

"Easy, easy..." Jack said coming over to help her.

They were both stepping into and then out of the shallows as they tried to pull the fish in, making the footing slippery.

"This must be one big fish; it's really putting up a fight!" Seria exclaimed.

"Could be..." Jack said as he felt the tug on her line. "If we were on Earth I'd have to warn you that this could be an old mud-filled boot or some other trash...it just doesn't feel quite...right." Jack warned.

"No, here it comes!" Seria exclaimed, but then the mud beneath her bare feet gave way and she started to slip. "Jack!" She cried out.

"I've got ya!" Jack said, dropping the line and grabbing Seria around the waist, but then the riverbank under his bare feet gave way as well and they both went sliding.

Jack tried to catch his balance and succeeded for a few seconds, but then he lost it again and they both fell headfirst into the river.

"Jack!"

Seria!" They both cried out before they hit the water.

A moment later they both surfaced and tried to stand in the shifting goo of the streambed.

"Here, take my hand." Jack reached out to Seria.

"Thanks." Seria said grinning. "Well...I guess...the fish got away...but I'd swear it was this big!" She said while lifting her hands up before her and holding them three feet apart.

"Atta girl; you've just passed the first test in becoming a master-fisherman...learning how to tell whopping fish-tales!" Jack grinned back at her.

"Oh you!" Seria giggled and then surreptitiously leaned down to dip her hand in the water...before quickly hitting Jack with a giant splash of water.

"Oh ho, you want to play, do you?" Jack laughed threateningly, before splashing her back.

"Aack!" Seria cried out as water hit her in the face. "I'm going to get you for that, Jack!" But then she cried out in pain.

"What?" Jack yelled, wary that this was a trick, but also worried that Seria had truly hurt herself.

"I stepped into a hole just as I turned towards you, but my foot couldn't turn with the rest of me." Seria said through clenched teeth.

"Come on; let me help you to the bank." Jack said as he came close enough to put his arm around her and help her out of the water.

Seria was breathing quickly, but trying to suppress any sounds of pain.

"We're not in battle, you know; it is okay to cry out if you need to." Jack reminded her kindly while respecting her strength.

"It's, it's okay...I think it's just a sprain." Seria replied as they made their way towards the bank where Jack helped her sit down and then squatted down near her feet.

"Let me take a look." Jack said as he picked up her foot. "This may hurt, but can you move it?" Jack asked as he gently palpated the joint and tried to move Seria's foot just a little.

"Ssst!" Seria hissed out between her clenched teeth.

"Okay, sorry; enough with the exam, let's get you home and then I'll call Max." Jack said and Seria nodded.

"Oh, but you don't need to carry me, Jack; I'm sure I could walk..." Seria argued as Jack bent over to pick her up in his arms.

"No you can't, so just settle down and let me play the gallant gentleman for once in my misspent life." Jack told her.

"Oh Colonel, with a request like that, how could any girl refuse!" Seria teased as Jack slowly made his way up the muddy riverbank towards her home.

Earlier that morning, Sam and Beneck had been glancing over their list of tasks to be completed when Sam realized that she had never retrieved any soil samples for the lab techs back at the SGC, to analyze. So, the two friends decided to make a day of it, by hiking out into the countryside at a comfortable pace, take their samples, eat a pick-nick lunch and perhaps gather some foliage samples on the way back. By mid-morning, they had made their way out of the city and were leisurely hiking beside a stream when they decided to take a break in the shade of what Beneck called a kao tree.

"It is beautiful out here." Sam said as she squatted down and took a swig from her canteen.

"Nature is an important part of our spirituality and our lives in general." Beneck agreed as he also drank from his flask.

Just then, the sound of a man and a woman speaking floated to them from upstream.

"Sounds like someone else had the same idea as we did, to get out of the city and enjoy the countryside." Beneck noted.

But then they heard the voices more distinctly.

"Jack! Seria!"

"Sounds like the Colonel convinced Seria to go fishing with him." Sam said and tried to smile as she remembered the invitations to go fishing, which she had declined in the past.

Next, a lot of laughter and splashing could be heard; Sam stood up and walked down to the water's edge before looking upstream, where she spotted them, standing in the dappled shade. They had been playing in the water, splashing each other, but as she watched, Jack's silhouette paused in the action of scooping up another handful of water and instead, straightened, to walk over to Seria and put his arm around her; holding her close. And from what she could see of their shadowed forms, Seria was returning Jack's embrace, as she tilted her head up to speak to him. Then slowly, the two people upstream walked towards the bank and out of view...

'Oh man!' Sam exclaimed silently to herself. 'Are they going to..? The Colonel...My Colonel and Seria?' Sam continued to think to herself as a mist of green jealousy floated up in front of her eyes. She looked over to Beneck who had also walked to the water's edge and saw a troubled frown mar his forehead. 'Ah, so he sees it too; their attraction for each other.' Sam thought sadly, before Beneck interrupted her thoughts.

"Maybe we'd better be heading back, Samantha. Didn't you say that you were having dinner with Liz and some of the other ladies tonight?"

"Yes I am...yeah; we might as well head on back." Sam agreed and the two friends started hiking back, but took a different route from Jack and Seria, who were taking the shortest path possible back to the city and help.

An hour later, Sam had showered, changed and rested for a while before heading over to the Royal Manor, where she was to meet up with Liz, Sha're, Isabel, Tholla, Maria; who was visiting over another weekend and...Seria. Sam frowned to herself as she walked through the gardens; how was she going to handle seeing that woman, this evening? Sam felt that she wanted to scream at Seria...or at Jack, but she knew that she had no one to blame for her situation but herself...and those dammed regulations. But mostly herself; how many times had she turned the Colonel down when he had invited her to go "fishing", or to attend a hockey game. How many times had she passed over the opportunity to transfer to another SG-team, so that Jack would no longer be her direct superior? Instead, Sam had believed it more important that they remain friends and teammates so that she could at least see Jack every day.

These thoughts and justifications were on her mind as Sam walked up the few steps to the Manor's patio and saw Max and Liz in a passionate clinch, while sitting on the porch swing made-for-two. She recoiled as if she had been slapped. 'Oh man, I have the jealousy-thing big-time if I can't even stand to see my friends, who are madly in love with each other, kissing.' Sam thought to herself and then looked around her. 'What do I do now; leave and come back or pretend I didn't see anything while I make a lot of noise, walking across the patio to the Manor?' But then the decision was taken out of her hands, when Maria and Michael came out the Manor themselves. Sam had her emotions more under control, so that she was able to smile at the way their hands were clasped tightly together as they walked towards their friends.

"Maxwell, do I have to find a surgeon to physically separate you two, for Pete's-sake? Come on man, the ladies are starting to arrive and we'll be late arriving at Mardall and Tholla's house, for our men's-night, if we don't get going now." Michael gruffly teased his best friend.

"Hey, you two are even worse than we are, by my count." Max retorted after reluctantly pulling away from Liz to glance up at his friends.

"That's 'cause we don't get to see each other every single day, like you two do, so we have to make the best use our time together when we are!" Maria giggled.

"You're right, Maria, but what can I say...I'm hooked on Liz's sweet kisses...and may I never find a cure for my addiction." Max said as he stood up, but then bent back down to give his fianc one more lingering kiss.

"See ya later, Pixy-girl." Michael said as she drew Maria's hand up, to kiss her knuckles; his eyes never leaving hers' as he did so.

"Now who's making us late, Michael?" Max teased his friend before heading off towards Mardall and Tholla's; the host-couple for Teal'c and Jim Valenti. "Hey, Sam; how was your day?" Max asked her as he and Michael passed by.

"Fine; Beneck and I took a hike out into the countryside." Sam replied.

"Good, see you later." Max replied with his gentle smile.

"'Bye." Sam called after them, before turning back toward the patio and the other women who were gathering there.

The talkativeness of the group allowed Sam to stay in the background where she would not have to say much to Seria, but she was surprised by the way the other woman treated her. She was acting the same towards Sam as she always had; friendly and open. 'As if', Sam thought, 'I am no threat to her relationship with Jack. Or, perhaps she believes that there can be nothing between the two of us because of the regs and wants to stay on friendly terms with Jack's 2IC. Well, I guess I can act friendly towards her as well, after all, it's Jack's decision, not just Seria's, as to where he wants their...relationship to go.' Sam reasoned in the end, before tuning back into what the other women around the table were talking about.

"Liz, Maria; I thought for sure that your mothers would be here to eat dinner with us tonight." Sha're noted.

"They and Diane Evans have been with the Queen all day long." Liz answered.

"Again." Maria added.

"I wonder if we are going to have any input at all into our own weddings." Isabel pouted.

"We have input." Liz replied.

"Through our mothers." Maria added, also pouting

"Yeah, it's my wedding and I'm a princess for Pete's-sake, I should be able to have some direct control over what it's going to be like, when I walk down the aisle in three months." Isabel reiterated.

"But that's the point, Isabel; you are a princess and I am marrying a king, while Maria and Kyle are each marrying royal counselors. Your traditions and customs have royal weddings pretty much spelled out." Liz said calmly. "It's going to be the biggest ceremony this planet has seen since your parents' own royal wedding and nothing is going to change that, no matter how much Max and I would rather have a small, private wedding. All of our mothers, on the other hand, have always dreamed of their 'little girls' having big, flashy weddings, so they're perfectly happy to help Valaria carry out her plans. But I trust Mom to make any important changes that Max and I want made." Liz said before continuing. "And I have enough to do in learning all about your customs and laws; and how to be Max's queen, without also having to look out for the thousand-and-one details which are going to have to go into planning this group wedding of ours."

"And besides, Liz; you told me that you and Max had taken your vows years ago, before they had to return to Antar." Maria piped up.

"Maria, that was private!" Liz exclaimed.

"What; you're already married?" Isabel cried out as the other women all listened curiously.

"Well...in our hearts and souls we feel as though we are." Liz explained grudgingly, as her cheeks started to blush. "Before we...made love...for the first time, Max and I drove out to the desert one night and said our own wedding vows to each other and exchanged rings under the stars."

"You exchanged rings?" Isabel asked. "But I've never seen either of you wearing anything on your ring-fingers."

"That's because we don't wear them on our ring-fingers, Isabel." Liz said holding up her hand. "This is Max's ring." Liz pointed out the large silver band which she wore on her left thumb. "And Max is wearing mine..."

"...On his pinky-finger." Isabel finished for her. "I never really noticed the ring until we arrived here and figured that it was some sort of royal signet-ring."

"Nope." Liz shook her head. "After we said our vows, we wore our rings on chains around our necks; more like promise-rings. Since we were only eighteen, we figured that everyone would say that we were too young to marry, so we planned to be properly married after we graduated from college."

Liz's eyes filled with tears as she remembered how their plans were so drastically changed just a few days later, when Max and the others had received the urgent call from Antar.

"We exchanged rings again, right before you left and promised to always wear them, so that we'd have a part of each other with us." Liz said, wiping her eyes.

"Hey...better late than never!" Maria giggled, trying to break the sad mood.

"Yeah, I guess so." Liz replied, a smile breaking through the tears.

"I'm just curious; what changes have you asked your mother to make, Liz?" Sha're asked, sharing her husband's interest in other cultures.

"Well, Antarian wedding colors are pink for the bride and maroon for the groom, but I want to wear a white dress. So I want to have an underskirt of pink and a bodice and overskirt of white. The overskirt would then be drawn to the sides, to show off the pink underskirt. And since custom decrees that I wear these large hoops under my skirt, I thought that this design would look pretty."

"Sorta like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty!" Maria piped up with a grin.

"Hey I like that idea, Liz." Tess said. "I wasn't looking forward to wearing some great, frothy, pink monstrosity, but if we could all wear white dresses and accent them all a little differently with the expected pink, it wouldn't look too bad."

"As to wearing white...um, none of us are exactly virgins, you know." Isabel whispered; she had liked the idea of wearing pink.

"Um...this is sorta private, but had any of us ever had sex with someone else before our first times with our prospective grooms?" Maria asked and all four young women shook their heads, blushing. "I think that makes us virgins enough to wear white." Maria said.

There was a bit of tension between Isabel and Maria for a moment, but then Liz broke into it.

"And I was thinking our guys could wear the Antarian wedding outfit, but in white with maroon piping or embroidery, or something like that."

"Yeah, how about a maroon stripe down the sides of their pant legs? That always looks great on guys; accentuates their long legs." Tess added and the previous tension was forgotten.

"Good idea, Tess." Liz said. "Back to changes; I also requested that we take different parts from the traditional Antarian and Earth wedding ceremonies and vows and combine them. And there are actually a lot of similarities, so I don't think that doing so will be a problem."

"In some ways it's a shame we can't have our weddings on Earth, but if we can make a few changes, I think it will be lovely." Maria agreed. "That woodland glade you guys use for your religious ceremonies is really beautiful! Michael showed it to me the last time I was here."

"Yeah, Mom was telling me about the flower garlands they've picked out, to hang from the trees and Max has assured me that the fruit trees should be blooming at their peak for our wedding; that's why it's being timed this way; that and a particular conjunction of stars." Liz said, excitedly.

"Wedding ceremonies at this time of year are very beautiful!" Tholla agreed. "Many of our young couples decide to get married now for that very reason."

The ladies enjoyed the rest of the evening; sharing the various wedding customs of their two peoples.

TBC

I am posting this story at the url below; incase Heliopolis deletes this story again, you will be able to find all future parts there. ~jane

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/archive/AMB_AP507727887/5602.html

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to jane