Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Still Dating the Devil

by Icklepiglet
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Still dating the devil

Still dating the devil

by Elyse Blackford

Title: Still dating the devil
Author: Elyse Blackford
Email: icklepiglet@aol.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst,Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: None (minor ones)
Season: 1
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: violence,
Status: Completed
Summary: What if Sam was still seeing Jonas when she joined SG-1?
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: Feedback is always appreciated!!!

Sam Carter arrived home late again after being held up at work and found her fiance passed out on the couch. It always happened when she was late home. He would drink himself into unconsciousness, for some reason he didn't like it when she was late and the drink was what he always turned to.

Sam had been hard at work all day on a new form of top secret travel. A piece of alien technology had been found and she was bought in to try and make it work. Lately they had been making large inroads towards finding the correct sequence to start the 'stargate' as it was called. That was why she was working longer hours as the SGC.

Her fiance, Jonas Hansen, disliked her job describing it as a scientific waste of time and her knowledge could be used for more appropriate means. In other words, he wanted her home so she could cook and clean for him. It wasn't that she didn't love him, she did. Or she used to. Over the past 6 months as she was transferred to the 'stargate project' his mood swings and drinking had become worse and more frequent. He had never hit her or been at all violent towards her but she was beginning to think it wasn't beyond his capabilities.

They had met only a couple of years ago and started dating straight away. She felt as though it was love at first sight and to start with, it seemed to be. They were really happy and enjoyed being together but slowly the bond between them has been getting weaker.

Moving upstairs she ran the shower and got undressed in the bedroom as the water heated up. The long 12-hour stint she put in at work had taken everything out of her and she had been dreaming of her hot shower for most of the day. After finishing in the shower she quicker changed and went into the kitchen. Looking at Hansen as she came downstairs, she noticed that he hadn't moved. He wouldn't until the morning and she would be back at work then. That she was glad about, trying to cope with him and a hangover would be unbearable. Eating a sandwich Sam crept upstairs and sat in bed, laying down once the food was gone. Sleep came immediately and was only interrupted by the alarm sounding in the morning.

Waking at 8 o'clock Sam was at work by 9 and already on her 3rd cup of coffee. Her partner in crime on the 'Stargate' was a Dr Daniel Jackson, another fan of overdosing on coffee. He was a duel linguist and archaeologist, also working to crack the code of the device.

"Hey Sam" he greeted as she entered the lab they shared

"Morning Daniel, you haven't been here all night have you?" she questioned

"No I only just arrived, did you hear that they want to try another sequence on the gate today?" he asked

"Yes I thought that the one we had last night would be good, I feel that the idea of six chevrons and another to lock it was a good one of yours" she complimented

"Ok I hope it work this time, the gate would have to have a type of code as well as a number for each address. Especially if there are as many addresses as you think there are" Daniel agreed

Later that day the test was run and it was successful, the gate span into life and locked in all the co-ordinates. The team was ecstatic, no one was allowed through the gate as yet, but at least they knew they could get it to work. To celebrate they all went out to a local bar and Sam and Daniel were the last to leave.

"Thankyou for tonight Daniel I really needed it" Sam exclaimed

"That's ok Sam, you are the one who deserves all the praise, you put more into the project than anyone" he replied

"Daniel we both put in as much as each other and you know it! We both deserve as much praise as each other!" she corrected

"OK Sam, if you say so, bye. See you tomorrow" he added

"Yeah bye Daniel" Sam called as he walked off

Entering her house Sam turned on the light switch and dropped her bag on the table in the hallway. Checking the lounge she noticed how Jonas, for a change, wasn't there. After checking the whole house and still not finding him she decided that he must have gone to see a friend and so went to bed.

1 year later...

That night when Jonas had left changed Sam Carter forever, she never did trust men that much and now it was going to be harder than ever. He never returned after disappearing that day and she hadn't heard anything since. Well that was until he turned up on her doorstep wanting to apologise and get back together. He said he left to control his drinking, and for some stupid reason she believed him and asked him back. Although it did take Jonas endless attempts to get her to see him again and many bouquets of flowers and chocolates for her to realise she was still in love with him.

After finding the code for the 'Stargate', a team was eventually sent through. Sam wasn't allowed on the team, and she did protest, but when the team returned Daniel Jackson was lost on Abydos, the planet they gated to. Sam had been devastated as the pair had become close friends over the few years they had worked together on the Stargate and his loss meant a lot to her. Jonas helped her through it, surprisingly, and she was eventually asked to join the top team at the SGC. She was to become second in command to a Colonel Jack O'Neill and their first assignment was to gate back to Abydos and rescue Daniel.

As the mission was not scheduled till the next day Sam decided to go home and rest up before coming in early the next day and prepare for the mission. Jonas was waiting for her when she got in and had begun drinking again.

"Jonas! What the hell do you think you are doing? I though you gave that little hobby up!" Carter yelled pointing tot he empty bottles scattered on the lounge floor.

"Well you know Sam, living with someone like you kinda turns a man to drink!" he replied sending shivers down Sam's spine in the process. The words really hurt and she didn't wait around to hear anymore. Storming up to her bedroom she sat and cried on the bed before cleaning herself up and putting a few things in a bag that she would take to work with her. Jogging down the stairs, she ran straight into Jonas who was blocking her path.

"Move out of the way Jonas or so help you I will move you myself!" she warned

"Sorry Sammy, I didn't mean what I said! I am drunk, I didn't mean to do it I couldn't help myself! Please Sammy help me!" he pleaded "I need your help!" he tried again

"I wouldn't help you if you were the last person on earth" Sam spat back

It was the last straw for Jonas and he saw red, lashing out with his hand before thinking. It caught her on the cheek and sent her head forcefully to the side. Not wanting to stay any longer and thinking better off retaliating she pushed past her fiance jumped in her car and sped towards the SGC. Probably breaking all the speed limits Sam arrived in 10 minutes and was in her quarter's 5 minutes later. Looking at her reflection in the mirror she fingered her cheek and winced as a sore spot was touched. There were already the beginnings of a bruise forming; somehow, she would have to think of an explanation for everyone tomorrow at the briefing. Checking the clock, it read 1800 hours and not wanting to go to bed quite that early Sam decided she needed to chat to her other close friend Dr Frasier. Janet had only been at the SGC for a short while but since there were so few women on the base the ones that were around seemed to stick together.

Entering the infirmary Sam noticed that Janet was with a patient so decided to wait in her office until she had finished. Getting herself comfortable on the small sofa with a cup of coffee Sam had drunk about half her cup when Janet came in.

"Hey Janet, hope you don't mind me making myself at home but I needed someone to talk to" Sam apologised

"Honey you know you don't have to ask, come in whenever...what happened to you!" she asked shocked as the bruise on her cheek was noticed.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about" Sam replied as Janet inspected her cheek in full Dr mode

"It's Jonas isn't it!" Janet guessed

"Yes. He has started drinking again and...I shouted at him. He didn't like it much as you can tell!" she described talking about the bruise

"That's a really nasty knock you have taken there, no permanent damage but it will be sore for a couple of days" Dr Fraiser added "What are you gonna tell the others?" she asked

"I walked into a door?" Carter suggested

"Ok if you don't want to tell them, I can't make you or tell them myself, patient doctor confidentiality you know" Janet winked

"Thankyou Janet, you're a great friend!" Sam answered hugging her mate "What should I do about Jonas?" she asked looking for support

"You know I don't like him Sam, I never have! But do you think he'll continue drinking like before?" the Dr queried

"I don't know, before I left he asked me to help him. It's the least I could do Janet he has been so kind to me over the last 6 months with all that's happened here" she said "He WAS drunk and I know he wasn't in control of his actions!" Carter protested

"Well whatever you do I will back you up 100%, I as many other people want to see you happy!" Janet offered

"Thanks Janet, I better go get some sleep, we're setting off early tomorrow!" Sam explained "Bye."

"Bye Sam, and don't worry about him until you come back!" she called out as Sam exited the infirmary

Waking up the next morning Sam felt as though she had not slept at all that night although she was out as soon as her head touched the pillow. Washing and dressing speedily, she was in the briefing room early and ready for the mission run through.

As Colonel O'Neill and General Hammond along with the rest of the team entered the room she knew someone was bound to ask about her face and for some reason she knew exactly who it was gonna be.

"Carter what happened to your face?" Jack asked

"I...er...walked into a door sir. Nothing to worry about" she lied

"Well that was clever!" Jack replied with one of his usual sarcastic comments

"Thanks sir, don't worry I'll remember to open it next time!" she finished as Hammond asked for quiet.

The briefing was...well...brief for a change and the team was ready and waiting for the signal in the gate room before long. Sam had the feeling Colonel O'Neill was watching her but every time she looked at him he would look away. Hammond disrupted her thoughts on the matter in the control room, giving them a go for the mission and they were soon travelling through the wormhole. The mission went extremely well and Daniel was found very close to the gate. He had changed a lot since she last saw him and was even married! He asked her about her cheek and she also fobbed him off with the door story, him laughing wasn't helping her, but then neither were the constant jibes from the team about her incident, during the whole mission. Once they had rescued Daniel and the other Abydosians they made friends with a Jaffa warrior whom wanted to fight for the tauri and he helped them escape from the Apophis' capture. Jack agreed that he and a few of Daniel's friends could return with us and help fight with us in future missions. Returning through the wormhole came all too quickly for Sam, as she knew she would have to face Jonas on her return. After de-briefing and a check-up, everyone was allowed home and Janet offered he support to Sam before she left the SGC.

Opening the door slowly she called out for Jonas and wasn't surprised when he walked from the living room.

"Hi Jonas" she began "How are you feeling?" she continued

"Sammy I am sooo glad you are back!" Jonas exclaimed as he enveloped Sam in a bear hug "Please forgive me for what I did, I am so sorry!" he apologised

"I know Jonas and I do forgive you but you MUST stop drinking!" she warned, "I can't cope with you when you drink. It's like you are a totally different person!" she cried sobbing into his shirt

"I know baby. I will. For you, I'll stop drinking for you!" he promised

The next couple of weeks were tough for Sam, as she had to juggle work with Jonas. Keeping him and drink apart was harder than she though; he had very little will power.

After a mission, Jack came to check on Sam in the infirmary. She had twisted her ankle badly whilst fleeing to the gate and practically fallen through the wormhole to the safety of the SGC.

"Hey Doc how's the patient doing?" he asked casually

"She's fine, needs to keep the weight of her ankle for a day or so but give it three days and she should be back to active duty" Fraiser explained

"See Carter I told you she would patch you up real good didn't I!" he joked

"Thanks sir, I think I'll be off now. Jonas will be wondering where I am," she said

"How are you getting home Carter? I doubt Doc is letting you drive yourself!" he questioned

"Janet said she would drop me back, didn't you Janet!" she replied

"Yeah I am just finishing now and I offered my services" she smiled

"But you live on the opposite side of town!" Jack exclaimed

"Why don't I drop you back Captain? You only live a few blocks away and I could pick you up in the morning. I guess you are going to be in lab tomorrow Captain" he asked waggling his eyebrows

"I was going to come in tomorrow sir yes but..." she tried to dissuade him from driving her

"No buts Captain, I'll make it an order if I have to!" he said sternly making Sam roll her eyes

"OK Doc we will see you bright and early tomorrow I presume?" Jack guessed that Sam would need to be checked tomorrow

"Yes that is correct Colonel and thanks for dropping her off for me" she added

"It's no problem Doc" he finished as he helped Sam off the table and they left the infirmary

The drive home was very quiet, in no time Sam was home, Jack got out, and fetched Sam's crutches from the boot where he had put them and brought them round to her in the front seat. "Thankyou" she muttered as he gave them to her. Jack walked with Sam towards the house and went in front to knock on the door. Jonas opened the door and his greeting was as always a pleasant one.

"What do you want!" he growled, Jack winced as he smelt the alcohol on his breath

"I brought your fiancee home, she needed a lift!" he added as he motioned towards Sam making her way down the path on her crutches

"What the hell did you do to her!" Jonas demanded

"Jonas!" Sam yelled finally reaching the door "Colonel O'Neill didn't do ANYTHING except bring me home! I twisted my ankle on a mission if you must know!" she shouted

"I'll leave you two alone" Jack interjected "Are you going to be ok Carter?" he checked

"I'll be fine sir, and thankyou again. What time shall we say tomorrow?" Sam asked ignoring the glare from Hansen

"How is 0800 for you?" he offered

"0800 will great see you then" she finished as Jack walked back towards his car.

"What the hell do you think you are playing at Samantha!" Jonas yelled "One guy not enough for you! Or is it just the though of bedding your CO that turns you on!" he growled. Sam completely incensed by his outburst slapped him hard on the face. With the amount of alcohol in his system Jonas fell easily to the floor, he quickly staggered back up and started hurling abuse at Sam.

"You bitch! How dare you hit me!" he screamed lunging for her. The crutches flew from her hands and she yelped in pain as she was brought down on her injured ankle. Pain shot through her leg and Hansen kicked her in the chest as he got back up. The air was forced from her lungs as she felt the impact break at least two ribs. Regaining her breath Sam started to stand only to receive a couple of blows to the face. She retaliated with a punch to the ribs before landing in a heap in the floor. Jonas got up, went to the bedroom, and got some of his stuff before leaving the house. At this point Sam, still on the lounge floor, was trying to breathe. Slowly pushing herself into a sitting position she grabbed the telephone and dialled Janet. Not knowing what else to do and in need of treatment she felt she was the best person to call.

"Janet" Sam said as she heard someone answer the phone

"Yes it's me, is that you Sam?" she asked

"Yes I need you to come over urgently and bring your bag. Jonas has left and got a bit upset before he went" Sam explained

"Ok I'll be right over" Janet assured, not wanting to go into details on the phone

Sam didn't want to move and she didn't think she could but someone had to let Janet in. Sitting up on the couch, she breathed as slowly as she could to relieve the pressure on her ribs. About 15 minutes later the doorbell went and Sam lifted herself off the couch and painfully limped to the door. As soon as Janet saw what state Sam was in she helped her back to the couch and set her medical bag down next to her.

"Oh God Sam! What happened this time!" she asked frantically whilst checking Sam over

"He...ur... didn't like it that Colonel O'Neill *ouch!* brought me home. He got it into his head that we were seeing each other and he started drinking again" she finished

"Gees Sam, tell me you are not going back to him again!" Janet pleaded

"Don't worry I hope to NEVER see that man again!" she cried as her emotions over come her.

Pulling her friend into a light hug to protect her injuries Janet shushed her and comforted her until the tears subsided.

"Look Sam you have a couple of broken ribs, possibly three, that ankle looks a lot swollen than before and your in shock. I think we should go to the SGC, and don't protest I can make it an order!" she joked

"Ok Janet but I don't want the rest of the team to know" she complained. SG-1 had been assigned with Colonel O'Neill, Dr Jackson, Teal'c and herself after the first successful mission through the gate. They had only been on a handful of trips together but a strong bond was already forming.

"How do you suppose we stop them from knowing? You are all set for another mission in 2 days and there is no way I am letting you go in this state!" she warned

"Oh ok, I just feel stupid about the whole thing. I should have defended myself better and never let it get this far!" she sobbed, the tears returning

"Samantha Carter do not blame yourself for this!" Janet ordered "You were not in a fit state of health in the first place and you cannot condone his actions! It is in no way your fault and don't you ever tell me other wise!" she cautioned

With that Janet left Sam and phoned the SGC to let them know they were coming, she also phoned Jack so that he could come. Janet didn't tell Sam about Jack, as she knew she wouldn't agree to it but he was her CO and did have a right to know.

After setting Sam up on one of the beds in the infirmary, she sorted out a drip and some sedatives so she could have a good night sleep. She then went and met Jack and General Hammond outside.

"What's the verdict Doc?" Jack asked, concern written all over his face. Janet knew that Jack cared more for Sam than he should and more than he would say but didn't mention it to anyone.

"Well I sedated her so she could sleep. She does have three cracked ribs and very lucky not to puncture a lung. The ankle was already badly sprained and it is a lot worse now I may have to put a temporary cast on it to allow it to heal better. The rest are just bruises and scrapes. It could have been a lot worse" Dr Fraiser finished

"Where is Captain Hansen now?" Hammond inquired

"I don't know sir, Sam said he took some of his things and left. She doesn't know where" Janet sighed in desperation at the situation

"That bruise wasn't from walking into a door was it Janet!" Jack asked

"No sir, Jonas had got drunk again and hit her, she didn't want me to say anything to you, he was changing. Sam spent all her spare time getting him sober and this is the way he repairs her!" Janet spat angrily

"Ok Dr Fraiser, I suggest we all get some rest and speak with Captain Carter in the morning" Hammond concluded

They all went their separate ways and Jack ended up in his quarters. How could he have left her there with him, he saw he was drunk and he just left. If he had stayed then maybe, she wouldn't be in the infirmary at the moment. Thumping the wall with his fist, he tried to get some sleep before checking on Carter in the morning.

Sam woke with a major headache and was confused with her surroundings until Janet arrived and the memories of last night cam flooding back.

"Hey, how do you feel this morning?" Dr Fraiser questioned

"I'm ok" Sam reluctantly answered "A bit sore and feeling very sheepish but ok" she finished

"I'll give you some mild painkillers in a minute. I just though I should warn you that General Hammond and Colonel O'Neill will be arriving in half an hour to talk with you." she mentioned while injecting some pain killers into her drip

"I knew you would tell them! I suppose they would have found out anyway!" Sam conceded "What do they know?"

"Only what you told me, they obviously want to find Captain Hansen and I think they are already looking for him." She explained

"They won't find him" Sam sighed "When he doesn't want to be found he won't be, trust me he's done it before remember," she added "So what damage did he do?"

"You got three cracked ribs, hence the soreness, and your ankles been put in a temporary cast to allow it to heal quicker. Its not broken but the sprain was intensified last night, also you face is lovely mix of black and blue!" Janet ended

"So when do I get out of here?" Sam asked again continually firing questions at the doctor

"Not until the doctor say so Captain!" Jack answered from the doorway of the infirmary. "And when she does you will be coming back to mine to be waited on hand and foot. Don't even try to get out of it!" he quickly added "I have spoken to the General and he agrees with me. Its not like you would be able to go back to your flat..." Jack stopped as Janet glared at him

"Why what's wrong with my flat?" Sam asked frantically "Colonel, Janet tell me what he did to my flat!" Sam ordered

"Sam he must have returned after we had gone and he set fire to it..." Janet started

"He what!" Sam yelled wincing as her ribs protested the movement she made

"No-one was hurt but I'm afraid its kind of gutted, sorry Sam" Janet finished

"Oh God! All my stuff is gone?" she asked, receiving nods from Jack and Janet. This was too much for her to take and tears fell freely from her face, her hands coming up to cover her eyes.

"Hey Carter, don't worry you can buy a new place with the insurance and my place is not that bad I promise. I will even try and remember not to leave the loo seat up!" he retorted trying to lighten the mood

"Thankyou sir, but I don't care about the house, more about what was in it. My only photos of my mom where on my dresser in the lounge." She sniffed

"Sam I'm sorry honey, I had no idea, I didn't think" Janet said engulfing her friend in a hug as General Hammond entered the infirmary.

"Captain Carter, its good to see you looking better" he announced

"Thanks sir, and thankyou for all your help with this" she said wiping away the remaining tears.

"It's no problem Captain, he is a military Captain as well and there is no excuse for this type of behaviour!" he barked "you do want to bring him up on charges don't you Captain!" he asked

"Yes sir! Of course I do" Sam replied

Janet ushered the two men out of the infirmary soon after that and Sam let sleep engulf her once more.

The next two days passed slowly in the infirmary and Sam was itching to leave and settle in at Jacks. She was secretly looking forward to staying with him as she felt more for him than she should. She knew it was wrong but couldn't do anything to stop it. Daniel and Teal'c had visited her regularly and both offered their assistance in catching Hansen.

Eventually Janet let Sam leave the infirmary but she was to check up on her every other day and the crutches were to be used for another week at least. With her ribs strapped heavily and the bruises mainly gone Sam was feeling better when she arrived at Jacks.

"Here we are, home sweet home" Jack announced at the doorway

Sam hobbled in and Jack carried her bags with some clothes that Janet had bought for her, and other items they had picked up on the way home.

"On your left we have the kitchen area, used mainly for take away's and microwavable pizzas. Next on your right is the spacious living room with a roaring fire and comfy recliner. Be warned I ALWAYS have the recliner and only by begging, may you get the chance to use it!" he joked "The dining room is never used the man of the house has little if any time for get togethers and the living room serves as his eating area." Jack commentated as they toured the house; Sam chuckled a little not wanting to upset her ribs any more than she had to.

"Now upstairs we have the master bedroom, which you can see once I have tidied it" Jack stated waggling his eyebrows in the process, causing Sam to clutch her ribs as she laughed out loud

"Oh sir, stop please!" she begged

"Next on the left is the main bathroom and yours for the duration of the stay as I have an ensuite, now coming to your bedroom on the right. It is rather spacious and it decorated with the nice shade of magnolia." He finished making a face at the colour of the room

"Sorry I have been meaning to paint it for some time now, magnolia is sooo yesterday!" he ended

"Thankyou sir, it looks fine" Sam accepted "You can put the bags on the bed and I will unpack them shortly" she motioned towards the luggage in his hands

"Here we go and Carter when we are not on base and off duty please call me Jack!" he complained

"Sorry *Jack*!" she emphasised

"Ok, you must be starved we haven't eaten all day! How about I make dinner whilst you get aquatinted with your new abode" he offered

"Thanks...Jack that would be great" Sam answered

Sam sat on the bed and emptied the contents of her bags, there were only a few items, and in only 10 minutes, she was on her way down to the kitchen to see what was for supper.

"Hey Carter, you all settled in?" Jack asked eagerly

"Yes thanks the bedroom's great, it is really good of you to help me like this" she admitted

"I know I'm such a nice person, and we wouldn't want to see you on the streets now would we!" he jibed

"Thanks!" she retorted

"I hope you like potato and leek soup cos that's what I've made!" Jack entered the sitting room where Sam had sat with two bowls of piping hot soup. Placing them on the table next to Sam he went back into the kitchen and returned with two drinks, spoons, and some bread.

"I never knew you were such a good chef Jack!" Sam said surprised after tasting the food

"Well there is more to life than MRE's you know! Anyway, it kinda runs in the family, my mum was excellent at any food you wanted. You name it she could make it" he explained

"My mum was like that too, guess it appears when you have children because I certainly can't cook at the moment!" she laughed

Finishing up and after Jack had done the dishes the two sat down infront of the large television. Jack sat next to Sam on the sofa and was slightly surprised when she nodded off against his chest. Not wanting to wake her he left he where she was and got engrossed in the hockey.

At one in the morning, Jack awoke to find he had fallen asleep on the sofa himself and that Sam was still asleep next to him. His stirring must have woken Sam as she woke with a gasp and immediately clutched her ribs.

"Carter what's the matter?" Jack asked worried

"I think I need some more painkillers, could you get some for me, I put them in the bathroom" Carter asked

Jack jumped off the sofa and ran up the stairs to find the pills, he returned with all her bottles and a glass of water.

"Here you go," he said offering her the water "Now which one do you want to take? I have no idea what any of these are for!" he complained looking at the collection of bottles now lying next to them on the couch.

"I think these are for pain, the rest are for...well...I don't actually know I guess I wasn't listening when Janet told me!" she confessed

"Wow Carter! And I though you never did anything bad!" Jack answered sarcastically

Giving Jack an evil look she down a couple of the pills and threw a cushion at him. She regretted this straight after as her ribs protested furiously.

"Woah Carter, don't over do things. I think we should he upstairs to bed don't you, unless you like the couch? I know my back doesn't!" he joked

Helping Sam to her feet and handing her the crutches, they both made their way upstairs and muttered goodnights as they went into their own bedrooms.

The next couple of weeks flew by and Sam was nearly back to full health. Her ribs had healed and only the cast on her leg was waiting to come off. She had returned to the SGC to work in her lab and do paper but it a few days she was hoping to return to SG-1. Sam was still staying at Jacks and the placed seemed very quiet to her when he was on a mission. A new Captain had been temporarily assigned in her place until she returned, Jack had mentioned him a few times and when he did he only ended up begging Janet to let Sam return early. Apparently, he was another scientist and not one that Jack got on with very well, and definitely not like Carter as Jack had said.

Working in her lab checking on some soil samples SG-3 had brought back Sam was interrupted from her work by the klaxon sounding. Grabbing her crutches, she half hopped, half limped her way to the gate room in time to see SG-1 return. Her face lit up as she noticed how there were no injuries and Jack was still in one piece.

"Hey Sam, did ya miss us?" Jack asked as he passed her in the control room

"I am itching to get back sir, its not the same not going with all of you" she replied

"It's not the same without you there, either Sam" he whispered as he made his way to the infirmary after the others.

Sam could feel herself blush as the context of Jacks words sunk in. Ok so they were sharing a house and they did seem to be a lot closer now but *could* happen right?

After checking everything was all right with the gate, she made her way back to her lab and her specimens.

Jack strolled down the SGC corridors looking for something to do when he found himself outside Sam's lab. "Huh that always seems to happen!" he thought

Noting that it was rather late and he was going to head home he though he would see if Sam wanted a lift. So knocking on the door he waited for a reply.

"Come in!" Sam called

"Hey Carter" Jack greeted "When are you knocking off? I can give you a lift know if you want?" he offered

"Yeah ok sir, give me a minute to pack up and I will be with you" she replied

Putting away the specimens and shutting down her computer Sam was ready in only a couple of minutes and the pair left the complex.

Arriving home Sam soon realised how tired she actually was and excused herself to bathe and change whilst Jack prepared dinner.

Relaxing in the hot tub Sam dozed off and was shaken from her dream when Jack knocked on the door.

"Hey Carter hurry up in there or this lovely meal I have slaved over will be ruined!" he moaned

"Sorry Jack I won't be long I promise!" she called back

Drying and changing Sam walked downstairs and was instantly greeted by a candle lit table and Jack in a shirt and tie.

"Wow Jack this is amazing!" Sam exclaimed, "Uh what have I done to deserve this treatment?" she asked limping to her seat

"Well seeing as Janet said your cast can come off tomorrow I suppose it's too your health and happiness" he toasted after filling up the wineglasses

"I don't know what to say Jack its lovely!" she said in awe of her surroundings

"Well Sam I have tried to deny what I have felt for you ever since I met you but seeing you hurt by Hansen made me realise how much I need you. I hate seeing you in pain and I would rather retire (again) than be without you" he poured out whilst taking Sam's hand in his.

"Oh Jack I never though anything could happened between us!" she cried, "I love..." the perfect moment was ruined as a brick was hurtled through the sitting room window and landed on the couch

"What the...!" Jack exclaimed as he went to survey the damage

"Jack it was probably kids, you know what they are like!" Sam motioned him to come back into the kitchen. Jack walked back towards Sam as the front door was kicked in and a figure stood in the doorway pointing a gun at Jack. It was Hansen.

"What the hell...!" Hansen pulling the trigger and Sam colliding with him, after running in from the kitchen, cut Jack short. Sam had seen Jonas enter and she saw he was armed, without thinking she ran towards Jack and pushed him out of the way as Jonas fired. Landing in a heap in the lounge doorway Jack reached into the cabinet next to him to get his gun as Jonas appeared once more. Seeing Jack had a gun in his hand he shot him in the shoulder and Jack dropped the gun. Sam quickly picked it up and held it at Jonas, it was a standoff

"Well what do you know! I come back here to find you again Sammy and hear that you have moved in with him!" he growled pointing the gun towards Jack "I was right all along wasn't I!"

"Shut up Jonas or God help me I will shoot you dead!" she warned

"You know as well as I do Samantha that you could never shoot me, you don't have the guts!" he leered

Jonas lifter the gun higher, keeping it still pointed at Jack he squeezed the trigger. Two shots were fired and Jonas slumped to the ground.

"Well what do you know Jonas! I do have guts!" she said breathlessly, dropping the gun and looking around at Jack

"Oh God! Jack are you ok?" she asked worried as blood seeped out of his shoulder

"That bastard shot me!" he moaned

"Yeah well he got me first!" she added pointing to two holes in her thigh from where she had leaped infront of Jack

"Sam! Why didn't you tell me!" he scolded "Come here" he motioned for her to drag herself to him so he could check her out

"Sorry Jack but I was a bit preoccupied!" she added turning her head to the lifeless body of Hansen

"Yeah Thankyou for that!" he apologised "I had no idea that he would return!"

"Neither did I. I think we should call the police and Janet" Sam asked as she winced when Jack touched a tender spot.

"Sorry" he replied

After calling the police and Janet, they were carted off to the hospital and Jonas was taken care of. Jack had his arm strapped up and Sam was going to be on crutches for a bit longer. Both were made to stay in overnight for observation. Luckily, they got beds next to each other.

"Sam? Sam are you still awake?" Jack whispered

"No Jack I'm not now get some rest!" ordered Sam quietly

"I was thinking about us, " he continued, ignoring Sam's comment "You probably saved my life today and I don't think I can ever replay you for that. I also don't think we will be able to work together anymore. I will always be looking out for you to make sure you are ok and if anything ever happened on a mission I wouldn't be able to forgive myself" he spoke quietly in Sam direction

"Oh Jack! I definitely feel the same way towards you and I always have, being with you for the rest of my life will be repayment enough for today." She conceded "As for working together I don't want to split SG-1 up because of us, I wouldn't be able to work with another team and I doubt you could either!" she added "We have been through too much"

"I wasn't going to suggest splitting SG-1 up, as such." He countered appearing next to Sam's bed and laying beside her on it "I was thinking about retiring again, that way SG-1 would stay the same and you would lead instead. OK so someone extra would be bought in but it wouldn't be as bad, plus I get out of all of Doc Fraisers physicals!" Jack laughed

"I think it would be a wonderful idea Jack!" Sam agreed as they slept together, ready to start their new life together...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Elyse Blackford