Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

consequences of love, The

by Icklepiglet
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The consequences of love

The consequences of love

by Icklepiglet

Title: The consequences of love
Author: Icklepiglet
Email: icklepiglet@aol.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: violence
Summary: Love isn't always a good thing
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Title: The consequences of love
Author: Icklepiglet
E-Mail: Icklepiglet@aol.com Summary: Love is not always a good thing Spoilers: None, if so very minor
Genre: Hurt/comfort, Action/Adventure
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Disclaimer: They are not mine and I know there are not. Dammit!

The consequences of love.

The gate closed loudly behind the team as they set foot on the hot and dusty plain of P34-HG7. The mission had been given the go-ahead by General Hammond as a possibility of a research site. Traces of naquada were found as well as a large variety of plants and small animals that could be studied for further research.

Jack, as usual, wasn't overly enthralled with the prospect of a science recon but Daniel and Sam were both over compensating on enthusiasm for him. Teal'c as always gave off no emotions but Jack had a sneaking suspicion that he too was going to enjoy the trip leaving Jack bored as usual.

"Campers let's take five!" Jack hollered to the rest of the group as he opened his pack to find some water.

The rest of the team took the opportunity to take water on board as well as rest their weary legs. After walking for what seemed like days, but was in fact only a few hours, the heat had soon started to take its toll.

"Sir, I have started to pick up a few energy readings, they seem to be getting stronger as we keep walking" Sam informed her CO after checking the small hand-held device.

"How far away do you think they are?" he asked, suddenly interested as something finally seemed to be happening.

"Not sure, about a click at the most sir" she replied, fanning herself with her hat.

"Ok keep me informed" he ordered, receiving a nod.

After a short rest, the group began their trek once more, Daniel and Sam were in constant conversation over what interesting artefacts and research they might find. Teal'c was keeping Jack company.

"O'Neill teach me more of this 'poker game' that you want me to play?" Teal'c asked, always trying to learn more of Earth's cultures.

"Well Teal'c it's a card game, you can bet with money, and whoever wins gets the money, but you can also bet with other...things" he answered, trying not to confuse Teal'c by mentioning strip poker.

"What else is there that you can bet with O'Neill?" Teal'c pushed, knowing all about strip poker from Daniel. Jack stopped momentarily, trying to think of a way out of the conversation.

"Well.." he said, walking once more "you can bet with matchsticks, buttons, but my personal favourite is always clothe..." he stopped abruptly as Sam called him from behind.

"Sir, the readings are beginning to peak, the source is just up ahead!" she finished as she walked towards Jack.

"Ok people fan-out, lets keep an eye out for whatever we're looking for!" he ordered as Sam and Daniel formed a line next to Teal'c and Jack.

Stepping forward slowly, and scanning the area around them as they went, the team fell silent in concentration.

"Carter, how far now?" he asked as they still came up with nothing.

"I don't understand it sir, the readings say we should be right on it n.." Sam was cut off as she and the rest of the team were thrown back from an invisible field that had formed infront of them.

"ow!" Daniel complained as he picked himself off the floor where he landed.

"Daniel, Teal'c you OK?" Sam asked as she looked to her left at her two colleagues.

"Yeah fine"

"I am well" Teal'c and Daniel responded

"Sir, are you alright?" Sam asked as she turned to look at her CO who was still lying on the ground.

"Sir?" she asked again, going over to him and checking his pulse.

"Sam what's wrong with him?" Daniel queried as he crouched next to Jacks prone form.

"I have no idea, he's out cold, maybe he hit his head?" she suggested.

"Whatever occurred I am not happy with it, I believe we should report back to the SGC." Teal'c announced

"I agree Teal'c could you...?" Sam motioned towards Jack as the Jaffa nodded and lifted him before carrying him back to the Stargate.

The trip back was shorter due to the concern over their colleague; Teal'c set Jack on the floor as Sam began to dial up the gate.

As she pressed the crystal in the middle of the DHD, someone shoved her to the floor. She was attacked from behind, landing heavily on the step of the Stargate and hitting her head.

Squinting to focus her eyes, Sam saw Jack leaning over her, "Sir?" she asked, thinking that he had scared off her attacker.

As soon as she uttered those words, he plunged for her and grabbed her round the throat, squeezing his hands and choking her.

Fighting for breath and clawing at Jack to make him let go she gasped when Teal'c pulled him off her.

Rolling to her side and desperately trying to get air into her lungs, Sam jumped at Daniel's touch when he appeared next to her.

"Sorry!" he apologised "Jesus, are you ok?" he asked worried

"Yeah" she gasped, "I'll be fine" Sam answered, smiling slightly at her friend.

"Teal'c, take him through the gate and to a holding cell at the SGC, if anyone asks any questions tell them that you are following my orders!" she announced, rubbing her throat and wincing at the soreness.

"I will proceed with O'Neill and explain to General Hammond, Major Carter" he obliged, stepping through the wormhole with Jack.

"Are you sure that you are ok?" Daniel pushed, looking at his friends trembling hands.

"I'm ok, a little bruised" she admitted, "I think I need to see Janet" Sam grinned

"Ok lets go find out what's wrong with Jack and get you cleaned up" Daniel rose, offering his hand to Sam before they entered the still open wormhole back to Earth.

Stepping onto the ramp Carter and Daniel were immediately faced with a barrage of questions from the General and Janet (Teal'c had obviously mentioned that her presence may be needed).

As Janet looked at the bruises forming around Sam's neck, Daniel tried to explain to Hammond what had happened.

"Dr Jackson would you mind telling me why I have my 2IC locked in a holding cell??" he asked confused.

"General, we believe Jack is under some kind of alien influence, he attacked Sam and if Teal'c hadn't stopped him I believe he would have killed her." He filled in the outline as Janet escorted Sam to the infirmary.

"Sam your still shaking, are you sure you're ok?" Janet asked her friend and patient.

"Yeah, just...shocked I suppose, you don't expect your own team mates to do such a thing" she answered, her eyes looking sadly at Janet's.

"Well as far as injuries go you have a mild concussion, so I want you to stay here where I can monitor you for a few hours, other than that its just bruising. Hey Daniel" she finished as the archaeologist walked into the room.

"Hey," he replied "How is Sam?"

"I'm fine Daniel, they want to keep me here for a few hours but I would rather try and find out what's wrong with the Colonel" Sam protested

"And you will Major" Janet said, using her title for insistence, "after you have been monitored!"

"Sam, General Hammond is sending another probe to the planet, they hope to find some answers. Until they have any results there isn't anything you can do." Daniel pushed

"Well have you seen the Colonel, how is he?" Sam questioned

"I have to check on him now, Daniel are you coming?" Janet asked

"Yeah, see you in a bit Sam, and get some rest!" he ordered, squeezing her shoulder as he left the infirmary.

"Hey Teal'c, how has he been?" Janet asked the Jaffa as she entered the holding cell where Jack was being held.

"He has not moved nor said a thing Dr Fraiser" Teal'c replied stoically

"Thanks, I may need your help, I want to check and see if I can find any obvious signs of injury and give him a sedative to make sure he doesn't harm anyone." Janet explained as she and Teal'c entered the cell.

After finding only superficial wounds to his hands (most probably made by Sam in an attempt to free herself) Janet administered a sedative, leaving Teal'c on guard by the door.

"Daniel I would like you to keep an eye on Sam for me, this can't have been easy for her, especially seeing as Jack is the one who caused her injuries" she asked.

"I know, don't worry, you didn't even need to ask. How long does she have to stay in the infirmary for?" he inquired

"A couple of hours at least, then she shouldn't be doing much, but knowing Sam she won't do as she is told!" Janet answered as she and Daniel smiled at her answer.

"Daniel have you had a shower since you've been back?

"No, I wanted to check on Sam first....why?" he said, stopping in his tracks

"Oh no reason..." Janet replied, laughing as she entered the infirmary.

Walking over to Sam's bed, she noticed that it was suspiciously absent of Sam.

"Nurse," she called to the girl at the drugs cabinet "did you see where Major Carter went, she wasn't supposed to leave" Janet said, angry that her patient was able to slip out so easily.

"No I didn't sorry, I was called away for a moment though to help someone, she could have left then." The nurse apologised

"Daniel, we need to find her, check her room for me will you and I'll check the locker room. She may have wanted to clean up after the mission." Janet ordered as she and Daniel went separate ways out of the infirmary.

After both found the locker room and quarters empty, they met back at the infirmary.

"No sign?" Daniel asked

"No, you don't think she would go and see Colonel O'Neill do you?" Janet said, worried that her friend may already be there.

"Actually Janet, I think that's is exactly where she will be" Daniel replied as they sped off the holding cell where Jack was.

Reaching the correct level the elevator stopped and the two sped out of it, turning the corner, they saw Sam ahead of them walking towards Jacks holding cell.

"Sam!" Daniel yelled, causing Sam to jump and turn around to the person who yelled her name.

"We have been searching for you, " Janet reprimanded, "I said you had to stay in the infirmary, you disobeyed direct order!"

"You didn't order me to stay Janet, you just said I had to stay." Sam countered "I wanted a shower, when I finished I though I could check on the Colonel before returning. I must have taken longer than I thought"

"I gave him a sedative Sam, he won't exactly be talking to you, but you can pop in and she for yourself if you want." Janet relented "Teal'c is keeping an eye on him"

"Thanks Janet" Sam beamed

Opening the door Sam saw Teal'c lower his head to acknowledge her presence, she return the favour.

"How is he Teal'c?" she asked

"As I said to Dr Fraiser he has not said a word, nor has he moved since he was brought down here Major Carter." Teal replied, as he said Sam's name Jack stirred on the bed, behind the bars of his cell.

Staring at his still form, he seemed almost dead; Sam couldn't stand to she Jack in such a way. Moving towards the cell slightly she tried to rouse him "Colonel? Sir?"

"Sam I gave him a sedative he can't hear you" Janet warned

"It's me Carter" Sam continued, as she said her name he turned over on his bed to face her. Seeing that it was indeed her Jack swung his legs off the bed and stared at Sam.

"That shouldn't be possible, the sedative should have knocked him out" Janet explained to Daniel, as she didn't believe what she saw.

"Sir?" Sam said warily, scared of the present state of her CO.

Leaping off the bed Jack made a lunge through the bars at Sam, she jumped backwards, just missing his hands as he shouted and swore when Sam got away.

Teal'c got out his zat and armed it at Jack as he continued to fight with the bars of his cell in a desperate attempt to get at Sam. She meanwhile made a hasty retreat out of the room with Janet in tow.

As Sam left the room Jack immediately calmed down, Daniel was confused, as he and Teal'c shared a look, Teal'c disarming his zat and returning it to his pocket at the same time.

"There is no way that you can tell me that I am not the one who is affecting him! You saw what happened in there, for some reason he after me! Sam cried as Janet pulled her further from the room.

"Hey! Something happened on that planet that affected him and you seem to be the trigger that's all. Lets see if the probe they sent back has found anything yet shall we?" Janet asked, guiding Sam towards the control room.

Walking up the stairs to the control room, Sam took her customary seat at the controls as the MALP was guided back down the ramp, with two members of SG-9 in tow.

"Sergeant did the MALP return anything?" Carter asked expectedly

"We managed to record some inscriptions on the ruins you originally set out to see, maybe Dr Jackson can translate them and find some answers?" he replied

"Thankyou" Sam replied, hurrying off to find Daniel, Janet desperately trying to keep up behind her.

"Major Carter!" Janet shouted at her friend as she was jogging for the elevator

"Janet! I need to get this data to Daniel so we can find out what happened on the planet." Sam sighed

"I know, but you are forgetting that you should still be in the infirmary. Give me the data and I will make sure Daniel gets it, you go and rest in your quarters. If you do not comply with my orders you will be brought to the infirmary and kept under close supervision, is that clear?" Janet demanded, relenting to ordering her friend, so that she did not hurt herself further.

With a sigh Sam handed over the disc, not wanting to be kept in the infirmary, she followed orders and went to her quarters.

A knock on the door roused Sam from her slumber. Looking at the clock on her dresser, she noted that she had slept soundly for over five hours.

Scrubbing a hand over her face in an attempt to remove the tiredness from her brain she rose from her bed to answer the door. Opening her quarters, she saw Daniel, Teal'c and Janet all standing outside, beaming like school children who have just been let out for the holidays.

"You found something!" Sam assumed, as she ushered the three people into her room.

"I was able to decipher the language on the ruins that the MALP sent back. It was a warning that we should have been able to see before we got to the energy field. However, due to the atmospheric conditions and gravitational pull of the moons round the planet, the field has somehow shifted. I'm sure you can understand and work that out better than I have later..." Daniel mumbled, spewing out his words at a thousand miles an hour

"Daniel get to the point!" Sam replied, interrupting him as she became impatient with the lack of information on Jack that she was getting

"The force shield on the planet seems to contain a curse that is passed onto any who interact with it." Teal'c replied

"And this is what the Colonel has?" Sam asked, receiving a few nods and shrugs from her friends. "Why is he the only one affected?"

"That's what we were working on, it says on the ruins that the force field affects people in a way that they are drawn to kill their one true love..." Daniel trailed off, unsure of how to continue

"Sorry! You're saying that the Colonel is out to get me because..." Sam stuttered

"Yeah, that's what we are trying to say" Janet intervened, preventing her friend from saying anything that may land her in trouble

"OK, but you still haven't explained why all of us aren't affected."

"Well we think that the protein marker that you have protected you. Teal'cs symbiote always protects him and as for me well all we can think of is that I have already lost my true love in Share..." Daniel explained, almost whispering the last few words.

"Oh!" Sam conceded, agreeing that what they had found was the most probable answer.

"So how do we undo this curse?" Sam queried The remaining people in the room all fell silent, giving and receiving looks from one another.

"What? What is it? Tell me!" Sam ordered

"Sam honey, what we found so far is not a plausible option to take" Janet tried to explain

"Is there anything else we can do?" asked Sam

"No...but we were going to call on our allies for help and ..."

"What is this implausible option..." Sam pushed

"Jack will only stop and the curse will only be removed once he...kills you." Daniel gave in, providing his teammate with the information

"Oh" Sam replied for the second time, looking to floor as if it had all the answers "Have you spoken to General Hammond about this?"

"We are on our way there now, do you want to join us?" Janet invited

"I will be along in a few minutes, just give me a bit of time to think this all over," she requested "and get changed" she added as she remembered she was only wearing her night stuff.

Giving her a small grin Daniel and Janet moved out of Sam's quarters as she lay down on her bunk. Teal'c approached, from his previous position in the doorway.

"We will find an appropriate way to help both you and Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter" Teal'c promised

"I know, thanks Teal'c" she smiled as he too left her room, leaving Sam in silence.

"General! You can't possible be seriously considering killing Sam!" Daniel cried in disbelief after explaining everything to him.

"Of course not son! But we also need to think about Colonel O'Neill in all of this. He can't be kept locked up for the rest of his life." George argued

"And he won't be!" Sam replied, entering Hammonds office

"Major Carter, glad you could join us, I hope you are feeling better?" the General asked

"Yes thank you General, I believe I know how we can get Colonel O'Neill back to normal." She stated

"Really?" Daniel asked surprised "You found another way other than killing yourself?"

"Not really..." Sam tried to explain

"Major Carter, I will not allow you to give your life for another member of your team, without due reason." Hammond ordered

"I don't intend to stay dead Sir. From what Daniel and the others told me as soon as I die the curse will be lifted." She explained, getting nods from everyone "So as long as I am dead for only a second Colonel O'Neill will be returned to normal"

"Sam there is no way you are attempting something as risky as this, there are no promises that you will come out of it the same, if at all!" Janet disagreed

"Well as far as I can tell there is no other way" Sam argued "I know I won't have the final word on this sir, " she added turning to look at Hammond "but this is what I want to do and I'm sorry but I think its my decision that should be considered."

"How do you intent to go about this?" General Hammond inquired

"Well that's were Janet would come in to it sir, I was kinda hoping she would know the best way to do it?" Sam asked, looking at her friend for support

"I want it recorded that I am apposed to this idea from the start, " Janet began "but I believe that the best course of action would be to over sedate her, and with it she would have the best chance of recovery."

The conversation was then interrupted by an airman knocking on the door to Hammonds office.

"Come in!" General Hammond replied

"Sir, I regret to inform you that Colonel O'Neill has escaped sir. He managed to overpower two guards who were checking on him, he also stole one of their pistols." The airman reported

"Well how in blazes did you that happen? I want a complete sweep of this base; he cannot be allowed to roam these corridors. Colonel O'Neill is a threat and he needs to be stopped, be armed only with zats, we don't need to harm him further." Hammond ordered, the airman leaving to comply with his orders.

"Teal'c I want you to keep watch over Major Carter, she is the person most at risk while the Colonel is free."

"I will protect her with my life General Hammond." Teal'c promised, nodding at his commanding officer

With that the group dispersed, Janet left to return to the infirmary to tend to the attacked guards, Daniel went to his office to decipher more of the language on the ruins and Teal'c and Sam went to her lab so she could try and take her mind off of the current situation.

"Teal'c I appreciate your offer to keep me company and all that but I'm sure I will be fine, they would have caught him by know, and if not they will catch him before he gets anywhere near my lab." Sam protested about the constant guarding from Teal'c

"I'm afraid I cannot leave you Major Carter, I am merely following orders given to me by General Hammond." He replied stoically

Sighing in reply Sam shrugged her shoulders and lent forward with her keys to unlock her lab door. As she put her hand on the handle of the door, Sam found that it was unlocked.

"Teal'c!" Sam warned as the door flew open to show one Jack O'Neill, pointing a gun in the face of his 2IC.

Teal'c reacted quickly and pushed the Colonel on the floor as he leapt for him, trying to distract his attentions away from Sam.

As soon as Jack had seen Sam he had fired the gun, Teal'c's quick reactions saved Sam as the gun had been redirected and the shot caught Sam in her upper left arm.

Teal'c managed to easily overpower the Colonel and wrestled the gun away from his teammate; getting the zat from his belt, he shot Jack once to leave him unconscious on the floor of Sam's lab.

As Teal'c rose, he noticed that Sam was no longer standing in the doorway, as he stood up he could see her prone figure lying on the floor, one hand wrapped around the other arm.

"Major Carter!" Teal'c shouted at his friend, seeing her gritting her teeth against the pain "Are you ok?"

"Oh yeah, just peachy!" she said sarcastically "What happened to the Colonel?"

"He is unconscious, I believe we should get him in confinement a soon as possible." He replied

Helping Sam to her feet Teal'c made sure that the Major was steady enough to walk on her own before picking up the prone figure of Jack. All three made their way to the infirmary, informing the SF's (who had been alerted by the gun shot) to send General Hammond to meet them.

Walking out of her office to one of the two patients under her care, Janet Frasier was shocked to be called at by Sam Carter who was entering the room with Teal'c and an unconscious Colonel O'Neill.

"Oh my god! What happened?" the petite doctor asked, shocked at the scene in front of her.

"He was waiting for me...in my lab..." Sam answered, somewhat breathless

"Teal'c, place the Colonel on the bed in the corner, make sure he has the maximum amount of restraints on him." Janet barked "Sam lay on this bed before you fall down."

Once Sam was horizontal on the trolley Janet lifted her hand away from the wound. The bullet had entered about an inch below her sleeve of her t-shirt and was oozing blood, the exit wound was clean and Janet seemed to be happy with the fact that the injury could have been a lot worse.

"Dr Frasier how is she?" General Hammond asked, entering the infirmary and heading straight for the bed Sam was occupying.

"She took a bullet to the upper left arm, she lost quite a bit of blood but thankfully it went straight though. With rest and painkillers she will be fine." Janet explained

"Sam, you ok?" George asked the patient, changing out of General mode

"Yes sir," she answered through gritted teeth as Janet, none to gently, tightened a bandage round her arm "though I believe that we should enact my plan sooner rather than later."

"Doctor, are you sure about this procedure? Is it the only way we can go about this?" General Hammond asked, worried about two of his best co-workers and friends.

"Are far as I can figure it is the safest for Sam yes, Colonel O'Neill should be fine as soon as her heart stops..." Janet reiterated for the General, not happy with what she was having to do to her best friend.

"Ok then, get on with it. I want my people back to normal as soon as possible!" he ordered

Giving Sam a squeeze of the shoulder for confidence General Hammond stepped back from the bed to allow the medical staff to do their job. Janet placed an IV line into Sam's hand, as well as attaching electrodes to her forehead.

In the corner of the room, Teal'c was still keeping watch over Jack as he began to come round from the zat blast and was pulling against the restraints on the bed.

Seeing that Jack was becoming more violent Janet decided that she couldn't wait any longer. Filling up a vile of sedative, she began to inject it into the IV line in Sam's hand. Daniel was on the opposite side of the bed holding onto Sam's free hand, gripping it tightly as she began to succumb to the sedation.

As her heartbeat slowed to that of someone asleep, Janet began to inject more sedative until she had slightly over done the safe amount.

Keeping watch on the monitors she made sure that she had all the proper equipment that she was gong to need at hand.

A commotion in the far side of the infirmary broke the quietness of the beeps of Sam's heart monitor. Teal'c was now struggling to hold onto an aggressive Jack who had somehow broken his restraints.

Janet looked on in shock at the feral behaviour of one of her senior officers, she was sure that Teal'c was going to lose the battle at any moment when Jack suddenly slumped to the floor.

At the same moment, the shrill sound of a flat line sounded from Sam's monitor.

Turning back to her patient Janet ordered everyone clear as she shocked the lifeless body on the bed. There was no response. Again shouting for everyone to be clear of the bed, she upped the amount of joules she was shocking with and tried again.

Still there was nothing. Snapping at a nurse, she shouted for a milligram of epi before she tried for a third time.

Silence ascended over the infirmary as everyone held their breath, the whine of the heart monitor changed to a steady beat as Sam's heart began to pump blood once more and a large sign was emitted by everyone.

Making sure her patient was comfortable, and leaving a nurse to do the monitoring, Janet turned to Jack who had been placed on another bed by Teal'c.

Moving to the side of the bed Janet reached down to Jack's neck and took his pulse, it was normal. Reaching into her coat pocket to retrieve her pen light Janet also checked his pupils and found that they too were fine, both equal and reactive.

"Doc!" her patient moaned, as he came to "What is it with you and lights in the eyes!"

"Colonel, your conscious" Janet exclaimed, surprised that he would be coherent so soon.

"I'll give you ten out of ten for your deductive skills!" he remarked sarcastically. "Now does anyone want to tell me what the hell I am doing here?"

"You do not remember anything O'Neill?" Teal'c asked

"No, last thing I remember we were traipsing around a desert...then nothing. Am I ok?" Jack replied, looking at Janet for some answers.

"At the moment, as far as I can tell, your fine, I want to do a full exam though and keep you here at least twenty-four hours so we can monitor you." She stated

Moving out from behind the curtain that had been pulled round his bed, Janet sought out General Hammond.

"General, sir, Colonel O'Neill is awake if you want to talk to him." Janet informed her superior, moving over to where he was sitting next to Sam's bed.

"But I must tell you that he doesn't remember anything after passing out on the planet."

"And you don't think it will do any good to tell him anything right away...is that what your saying doctor?" he insinuated

"Until we know that Major Carter is out of the woods, I think that he will only be insistent in seeing her, I need to make sure that he is ok himself before that happens." Janet answered

"Ok doctor, I'll keep it under my hat." The general answered as he let go of Sam's hand that he had been holding and moved over to his 2IC's bed.

"Jack, how are you?" The General asked

"Fine sir, a little tired, but fine" he replied "I still don't remember anything, and people don't seem overly enthusiastic to fill me in."

"That's because we are unsure as to what has happened ourselves" George lied slightly

"Yeah sure sir" Jack accepted

"Well son, I will let you get some rest. You are bound to have some visitors in the next few hours so you need to keep your energy up." With that General Hammond left the vacinity of Jacks bed and the infirmary after saying goodbye to Dr Frasier.

The next twelve hours went slowly for Jack as they always did in the infirmary, Teal'c and Daniel made an appearance, checking he was ok and bringing cookies from the commissionary. In fact, many other people popped their heads into the infirmary to say hi, except the one person he wanted to check up on him. Carter.

Whenever he was in Dr Frasier's care, she would always visit him at least once, no matter how minor the injury. It was a team thing, they all looked out for each other.

When quizzing Daniel about her whereabouts earlier he made up some excuse about her being busy in the lab, but that had never stopped her before. She had always found five minutes to make sure everything was ok. Something was wrong, he could tell. People knew things and weren't telling him. So if they weren't going to tell him anything he would just have to find out for himself.

Sliding his legs off he bed Jack winced as his feet met cold tile, standing up and adjusting his gown so he was decent he made his way out of his cubicle.

Pushing back the curtain surrounding his bed he noticed only one nurse in view, she was checking the stock in the far side of the room and should be no problem if he was quiet.

Looking around the infirmary, he noticed only one other bed in use. The curtains were drawn around the entire area and a steady beeping could be heard from the machines in use around it.

Creeping up to the curtain, he checked to make sure that he was still unnoticed before slipping behind it. Drawing the curtain back behind him, he turned to see what poor sole inhabited the bed.

As he turned, his breath caught in his throat, he could have sworn that he felt his heart freeze over and he had to remind himself to breath once more.

Lying there in front of him was his 2IC, his Major Carter...his Sam; she was a deathly pale colour, bruises mottling the skin around her neck the only sign of colour, one arm also out of use, situated in a sling.

The overwhelming urge to faint passed over Jack as he tried to take in what was presented infront of him. He reached out to hold her free hand, its stark coldness cooling him as he held it. Her whole body was lifeless as her hand was limp and the only sign of life being the steady rise and fall of her chest. He noticed how there wasn't a respirator breathing for her so she must be keeping her own, one plus in so many minuses.

As he began to brush the stray strands of hair from her face, the sound of the curtain behind him being pulled open distracted him, he dropped the hand he was holding as he spun to face the intruder.

"Colonel O'Neill what the hell are you doing in here!" Doctor Fraiser shouted, alarmed to find him out of bed

"When exactly were you going to tell me that Carter was in here? And like this!" He shouted back, ignoring the Doctors question completely

"You shouldn't be up and about yet sir! I haven't released you!" Janet reprimanded, mindful that her voice was alerting more people than needed.

"Cut the crap Janet and tell me what happened!" Jack ordered, not relenting one bit.

"If you go back to your bed sir I will contact General Hammond and he will talk with you and explain everything." As Jack began to protest once more, Janet interrupted "That is an order sir! One that you should obey on medical grounds! Don't make me get security involved!" she warned

Knowing that he wasn't going to win the battle, Jack conceded, moving over to his own bed and waiting for General Hammond to arrive.

Jack didn't have to wait long; the General entered his cubicle and motioned to his subordinate to stay seated when he began to rise.

"Sir, please tell me what is going on! Doc Frasier wouldn't tell me squat! I'm her CO for gods sake I deserve to be told!" Jack ranted

Waiting for Jack to vent his frustration and calm down slightly George replied.

"Son, I know what all you team mates mean to you, especially Major Carter. We would have told you about her condition sooner but we believed it to be in your best interests to wait until we were certain that you were ok. Now that you seem to be back to health I can explain what has happened if you want me too."

"What do you mean 'if you want me too', of course I want to know, why wouldn't...oh my god!" Jack exclaimed, understanding the meaning behind General Hammonds words "I did this to her didn't I!" he exhaled, covering his mouth as he said the words. "That's what I can't remember! The fact that I seriously assaulted my 2IC!"

"Jack we all know that it wasn't you that attacked her, even Sam knows it herself." George explained

"How can she, she isn't even conscious!" he argued

"The only reason Major Carter is in the state she is in at the moment is because it was the only way to save you. Something happened on the planet that made you attack Major Carter, and the only way to stop it was if she technically 'died'." Hammond tried to describe

"So shes going to be ok?" Jack asked quietly, trying to take in all that he had heard in the past few minutes.

"She should be, Doctor Fraiser seems to believe that as long as she wakes up sometime in the next few hours she should make a full recovery." Hammond verified

"General Hammond." Daniel spoke from the edge of the cubicle, Teal'c peering in from behind him.

"Ah, Dr Jackson, Teal'c come in." he motioned with his hands for the remaining team members to sit down. "Jack I asked these two here to answer any questions you may have and to explain things fully. I'll leave you to it." Hammond said as he vacated the area.

"Doctor?" Hammond asked as he walked out of Jacks cubicle "is there something wrong?" he continued as she hovered over Sam's bed, checking her vitals closely.

"No sir, I think she may be coming round." Janet answered, looking away from her patient to answer the General.

Hammond moved over to the opposite side of the bed and took hold of Sam's hand that was free from a drip.

"Jan't"? Sam whispered as she started to become lucid

"Yes Sam I'm here, you're ok, everything's going to be fine." She answered, lifting the oxygen mask from Sam's face.

"'Bout Col'nel" she struggled to ask

"He's cured Sam, you did it, you saved both of you." Janet beamed at her patient.

Feeling her hand being held by someone on the other side of the bed Sam rolled her head to see who it was.

"General?" she whispered, trying to fight the sleep as it again pulled at her

"Hey Sam, you gave us quite a scare for a moment but Dr Frasier says you are going to be fine in a few days. You just get some rest and let us worry about you for a change, ok?" he half ordered

"Yes sir" Sam mumbled as she fell asleep once more.

"Ok guys tell me exactly what is going on and don't leave a thing out!" Jack warned as the other males of the team looked at him warily.

"We managed to send a probe back to the planet after we returned. It sent some footage back of what looked like a ruined city and some inscriptions were found." Daniel began

"Would you get to the point already!" Jack complained

"I was able to decipher the inscriptions and found out that it was a warning that we should have been able to read before we got to the 'cursed' force field. But due to something to do with the planets gravity and its suns the force field has moved." Daniel continued, ignoring Jack plea to cut to the chase.

"Daniel!" Jack shouted, getting frustrated with the lack of answers he was getting.

"If you would let me continue, I was going on to say that the curse on the force field is one that makes anyone who come in contact with it want to kill their 'one true love', and not stop until that has happened..." Daniel trailed off as Jack seemed to be a bit disbelieving in his theory.

"What!??!! Are you telling me that I went after Carter because some curse thinks that I'm in love with her!" he cried "Well that just ain't true...and its not allowed!"

"Jack, you don't have to lie to us, even the General knows." Daniel assured

"He WHAT! Oh man my career is so far over its not funny!" Jack exclaimed

"You do not understand Colonel O'Neill, General Hammond does not believe that it would be in the best interests of this facility to include this reason as the one that made you attack Major Carter." Teal'c supplied

"That sly old dog, so he's ok with this....I mean good, its not as if there is any truth to this whole thing anyway." Jack lied

"He is Jack, and we all know that its true so quit denying it. The whole base had known for five years, I wish you and Sam could work it out." Daniel replied honestly

"Yeah well maybe if the regulations changed we would Daniel, but until then I think we can get back to normal. Or at least I hope we can."

Once Janet had Sam comfortable and checked the oxygen mask was in place, she joined the General in walking to Jacks cubicle.

"Son, are you ok to talk with us for a moment?" The General asked Jack

"Yes sir, how is Major Carter?" he asked immediately

"She regained consciousness for a matter of seconds earlier and asked how you were before lapsing back into sleep. Her physical injuries will take a few weeks to heal, it's the psychological ones that I am worried about." Janet answered, sparing a look at Jack. "Sam knows that you weren't yourself when you attacked her sir, but it was still you that did the attacking. Even if it was more in body than in mind. I don't know how long it will take for you to regain her trust fully." Janet sighed as she saw the face of Sam's CO fall at her admittance.

"Jack we all know that this is going to be hard for the both of you. I assure you that you will both get the best help I can find and as long as you need to recuperate." George offered, resting his hand on the mans shoulder.

"Thanks sir, I appreciate it and I'm sure Carter will too." He answered somewhat glumly

"Ok boys if you are done in here I would like to give Colonel O'Neill the once over and he will be free to go if I see fit." Dr Frasier ordered

"Jack we will be in the commisionary if you want to find us, ok?" Daniel explained, as he and Teal'c got up to leave.

"Thanks."

"Colonel, once you are released from here I would like to see you in my office for a few minutes." General Hammond asked "Yes sir" Jack replied, his sentences seemingly more strained

"We will leave you to it Doctor." Hammond finished, leaving the two officers alone.

"Are you not leaving Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asked, as Daniel seemed to dally.

"I think I am going to sit with Sam for a while, she's going to need a friend when she wakes up." He explained

"I believe that is very wise, I will return within the hour to see if you need relieving." Teal'c promised, exiting with a simple nod in Daniels direction.

"Sir, I see no reason to keep you in here any longer." Janet announced, "My nurses will be very pleased." She joked, getting a small smile from Jack.

"Are you going to allow me to sit with Carter till she wakes up?" he asked, nearly on the verge of pleading with the doctor.

"Sir I can't allow that I'm sorry." She admitted, sighing when his head dropped once more. "Jack look at me," Janet ordered, lifting his face with her hand, "Sam is going to get better and you are all going to be SG-1 again, fighting Gould and kicking ass! But you have to give her space and time to get herself together."

"I know, it's just hard." He admitted

"It is, but you are both strong enough to cope. Now get out of here before I find a reason to keep you here any longer." She warned

Jack was up and out of the infirmary quicker than when being chased by the enemy, slowing only to take a glance at Sam and smile at Daniel who was watching her.

knock knock

"Come in!" Hammond called

"You wanted to see me sir?" Jack asked his CO

"Yes son, take a seat." He offered

"Jack I want you to take a few weeks off." George started "Go to your cabin and annoy the fish that aren't there, whatever you want, but I don't want to see you put a foot on this base 'till I say you can come back. Do you understand?"

"You have been speaking to Teal'c haven't you sir!" Jack guessed, getting a grin from the Texan. "Don't believe a word of it! There are fish in the lake you just have to be patient, he doesn't..."

"Jack! Just get away from all of this and try to relax. Teal'c has offered to make sure you follow my orders but I really don't want it to come to that." He warned

"That won't be necessary sir, I think the leave will be a good idea." He agreed rising from his chair.

"Thankyou Jack, keep me posted on how you are and I'll keep you up to date on how everything round here is going." He promised

"Daniel, weren't you supposed to be eating with Teal'c?" Janet asked as she finished the paperwork on Jack

"Yeah but I though Sam could do with some company, she'll need a friend when she wakes up." He replied

"That's she does but I don't want you to neglect yourself by trying to do too much for her. We do our jobs round here pretty well you know!" she joked

"Yeah that I do know, Teal'c is going to take over in a while anyway." He added

"Did anyone ever tell you that this is the hardest place to get any peace!" a voice from the bed protested

"Sam!" both Janet and Daniel exclaimed

"The one and only!" she chuckled lightly, holding the oxygen mask slightly off her face.

"How are you feeling?" Janet asked, moving closer to take some readings and check her pulse. "Bit tired, my arm aches a bit, but ok." She answered

"Well I don't want to give you anymore drugs 'till I know the sedative is out of your system, do you want to try and sit up for a bit?" Janet offered

"Yeah sure, anything but sleep, I need to be in the land of the living for a while."

Daniel and Janet both managed to prop Sam up on a pile of pillows and get her comfortable before the questions started.

"Is Colonel O'Neill here?" Sam asked tentatively

"I discharged him about ten minutes ago, he is perfectly fine and free of the curse." Janet answered

"He can't hurt you anymore Sam, It's over, you do know that don't you?" Daniel promised

"I know Daniel, I need to speak to him. He is going to be beside himself when he finds out what happened." Sam said

"Uh Sam he knows already..." Daniel began

"General Hammond had to tell him, he saw you and was asking questions. We had no other option." Janet admitted

"Were is he now? I need to speak to him now!" Sam demanded sitting forward on the bed and wincing when her arm pulled.

"He had to go and speak to General Hammond, Daniel will see if he can find him and ask him to come and see you." Janet assured pushing Sam gently back on the bed as Daniel left the room in search of Jack.

"Jack! Jack! Open the door I need to speak to you!" Daniel yelled through his friends door to his quarters. After making his way to General Hammond's office Daniel knew that the only other place Jack could be was his quarters.

"Daniel I don't need this right know, just let me grab a few things from here before I leave and get out of everyone's way." He yelled back, still not answering the door.

"You don't understand Sam wants to see you, she awake and adamant to talk to you." He replied, startled when the door flew open, leaving him face to face with a surprised looking Jack O'Neill.

"She what?" he answered

"She needs to speak to you Jack, you have to give her that at least." He begged

"She wants to speak to me?" Jack repeated, stunned that she didn't want anything to do with her.

"Yes, now!" Daniel responded, dragging Jack behind him on their way to the infirmary.

"Are you sure you are going to be ok to do this?" Janet asked her friend, not sure that this was the best thing to do.

"I know you probably think that I should be angry at him and not want to set eyes on him, but I can't do that. It wasn't him, I always knew that. Jack didn't do those things to me." Sam replied determined to get her way.

"Just take it easy ok?" she asked, relieved to get a smile from her patient

"Sam, is it ok to come in?" Daniel asked from the doorway, taking Sam's attention away from Janet.

"Is he with you?" she enquired

"I'm not going to need protection an I? You haven't got a zat hidden under the sheets with you?" Jack joked as he took a step into the infirmary.

"No sir, not this time, Janet took it off me." Sam answered straight back.

"Could you give us a few minutes?" Sam said to Janet and Daniel.

"Yeah sure, we will be in my office if either of you need us." They both offered as they moved away fro the bed.

"You can sit down you know!" Sam grinned as her CO shuffled uneasily at the foot off the bed.

Jack slowly made his way over to the chair next to Sam and slumped into it. He then shifted up in the chair and dropped his head in his hands.

"I can't start to say how sorry I am about what happened..." Jack began, only to be stopped midsentence.

"You don't have to say sorry to me, even if you did I wouldn't except it." Sam interrupted

"How can you say that!" Jack responded, jerking his head up and out of his hands.

"Jack! I could never hold you responsible for what happened when you were under an alien influence. So don't ask me too!" she argued

"You put your life on the line for mine. That was the stupidest thing you have ever done! And considering you don't ever do stupid things..." Jack ranted

"Hey! I had a stupid idea with the Asguard remember!" Sam added, flashing a smile at her CO.

"I can't believe my feelings for you affected our work again!" Jack sighed

"Hey at least know we know we are meant to be together. Me being your 'One true love' an all." Sam teased

"Yeah and the scary thing being that now we know Hammond knows!" he admitted

"We are going to be ok Jack." Sam assured, taking his hand in hers "We've been through worse."

"Yeah we have." He confessed, leaning in to hug his 2IC, being careful of her bandaged arm.

If you enjoyed this story,please send feedback to Icklepiglet