Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ceiling in an Underground Base, A

by Goobles
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Ceiling in an Underground Base

A Ceiling in an Underground Base

by Goobles

Title: A Ceiling in an Underground Base
Author: Goobles
Email: storyteller845@hotmail.com
Category: Romance
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Season: any
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none,
Status: Completed
Summary: Jack has a dream and decides to follow his muse...
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors. Yadda.
Author's notes: I have only just begun to realize how fun writing fanfic is... :)

Jack gazed at her as she read, then re-read, the anonymous notehe'd slipped into her bag. "I love you," he'd scrawled. She caught hiseye across the mess hall and held it. They stood simultaneously.Their paths crossed, and Jack swept her into his arms. Kissing herbriefly, he raised a toast to the cheering crowd. Out of the corner ofhis eye, he saw Hammond smiling and nodding...

Jack awoke in pitch black. Groaning, he fumbled for his clock. 1:34AM. He rolled over on to his back, and stared at the invisible ceilingthat he knew was there. Ceilings in underground bases wereinevitable, he thought, just like Hammond pitching a fit if he kissedSam in the middle of the mess hall. It wasn't a bad idea, he decided,it was just impossible.

<>

Jack gazed at her as she read, then re-read, the anonymous notehe'd slipped into her bag. He'd decided to go ahead and follow hismuse, however brain-dead that muse might be. He'd cursed himselffor twenty kinds of idiot in twenty different languages (an ability thathad spawned from the advantage of knowing a certain SpaceMonkey) as he wrote the single-lined doomspell-for-his-job note, buthe had followed through. Now to wait for the consequences. He'dreviewed them the night before, having been unable to get back tosleep after the dream.

A) He'd be fired. *That* was the ceiling in an underground base. Or,B) He and Sam would retire together. Not a bad idea, he mused, buthe didn't want to cost *his* scientist her job any more than he wantedto lose his. *Or* C) She could stand up and walk slowly over to him,eyes sparkling, like she just did. Jack gulped visibly, and stood.

Sam got close. *Very* close, he thought frantically. Man, if *someone*doesn't intervene I might either grab her or pass out. The formerbeing the ceiling...

"Jack," she whispered, "Did you write this?"

Not trusting his voice, he nodded weakly. To his immense surpriseand relief, she smiled, then laughed and threw her arms around hisneck. Their eyes locked a second before they closed at the kiss.Daniel noticed first and whooped, bringing all eyes to their previouslyprivate corner. Jack swore under his breath as upon breaking the kisshe discovered Hammond in the doorway. And Jack could see hisC.O. was not too happy.

Scowling, Hammond stalked over to the couple. Jack still fearlesslyhad his arm around Sam's waist, but he was shaking. "You disappointme, Jack," Hammond said. Jack hung his head. "I-"

The General cut him off. "I'm disappointed that you took so long, son!Why, everyone but you two could see you were meant for each other!Now, I phoned the President and got the non-frat rules bent just thismorning, in hopes you would realize your destiny."

Jack raised and eyebrow, doing a perfect Teal'C impression. It justwasn't like Hammond to get sappy.

The General coughed and snapped back to business. "You may nowfollow through with a relationship with Major Carter, Colonel O'Neill."With that eye-widening statement, Hammond turned on his heel andleft the mess, leaving Jack with a textbook salute drifting towards thefloor and Sam hanging on their second kiss.

Jack turned and raised a toast to the cheering crowd. Out of thecorner of his eye, he saw Hammond standing in the doorway of themess. The General smiled and nodded, then left the couple to theirfate as the entire mess flowed over to them, expressingcongratulations and relief. Jack smiled at them all, downed hischampagne, and hugged Sam tighter...

Jack woke in a cold sweat. Damn, he thought. I wish that had beenreal... but then I wonder. There's always tomorrow. After all, tomorrowand it's possibilities with Sam are like a ceiling in an undergroundbase... inevitable.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Goobles