Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Merry Christmas

by Jessie Carter-ONeill
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

by Jessie Carter-ONeill

Summary: It's Jack's first Christmas with his family. Will everything go as planned?
Category: Future Story, Holiday, Romance, Series
Holiday: Christmas
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-23

"Merry Christmas"

Cassie, Daniel and Teal'c showed up at the O'Neill's on Christmas Eve as promised. Jenny was in heaven. She had her family with her again. Jack and Sam were still worried about Kinsey and Kerry, but they were together...as a family. Even at twenty months old, Jenny knew that was all that mattered.

The tree was up, the presents still hidden from the inquisitive toddler. Jack was sitting on the couch, slowly rocking her to sleep. He didn't realize that he was being watched by the other four adults in the room. None of them could believe the change in Jack that had occurred over the past few months. He was finally trying to forgive himself for Charlie's death and was thoroughly enjoying being a father again. He smiled and laughed much more than he used to. Most importantly, he was free to show his love and affection for his wife and daughter.

He sat on the couch with Jenny in his arms, her tiny body resting over his heart with her small arm wrapped around Charlie. Sam caught Daniel's eye and grinned. They'd all seen it. Jack O'Neill had become a teddy bear. They watched as Jenny whimpered and then shivered slightly and Jack tucked her baby blanket tighter around her. He kissed the top of her head and then whispered, "Shh, baby. Daddy's here."

He looked up at four grinning faces. "What're you looking at?" he whispered.

Sam leaned over to kiss his temple. "You," she whispered back, careful not to disturb her sleeping daughter.

"What about me?"

"I don't remember ever seeing you this relaxed, Jack," said Daniel. "Or this happy."

Jack grinned. "What's not to be happy about?" he asked confused. "I've got everything I've ever wanted right here."

Teal'c gave him the raised eyebrow. "Indeed."

"I'm serious guys," said Jack. "I've got my wife, my daughter, and the rest of my family right here. I don't need anything else." He chuckled softly at the looks of surprise on their faces.

"Sam, what have you done to Jack?" asked Cassie.

"Nothing," she said laughing.

"Wrong, Mrs. O'Neill," said Jack quietly.

She turned to him in surprise. "Huh?"

"You changed me, Sam. You let me love you and gave me your love in return. You've given me the greatest gift of all." He glanced down at the head of his sleeping daughter. "You gave me a chance to be a father again. You gave me Jenny."

Those words brought tears to the eyes of all who were there...even Teal'c. Sam leaned over and kissed Jack gently.

"I love you, Jack O'Neill," he whispered.

"I love you too, Samantha O'Neill," he whispered back, then yawned.

Everyone laughed at the expression on Sam's face when Jack yawned. "What? It's not everyday I kiss a man and he yawns!" She laughed with them.

"I'm gonna go lay Jenny down, then we've got some presents to put under the tree," said Jack.

"Why don't you guys go on to bed, Jack? We'll get everything ready," said Daniel.

"You sure?" asked Sam.

"Yeah. You guys look worn out. Get some sleep. You're gonna need it tomorrow," said Cassie.

"Sounds good to me," said Sam with a grin on her face.

"Guys?" said Daniel.

"What?" asked Jack as he slowly stood.

"Just try and keep it down, ok?" said Daniel with a laugh. "After all, you've got company tonight."

Jack and Sam both had the good graces to blush uncontrollably. Cassie and Daniel laughed at the expressions on their faces.

"Go to bed guys," said Cassie.

"Goodnight guys," said Jack and Sam together.

Sam followed Jack into the nursery and watched as he laid the baby in her crib. She was still very tiny for her age, but Jack had bought her a toddler bed for Christmas. Sam just hoped she was ready for it.

Jack leaned down and kissed his daughter gently. "Merry Christmas, baby," he whispered.

He waited until Sam kissed her before taking his wife by the hand and leading her from the room. The house was warm so he knew they wouldn't be sleeping in clothes that night. He grinned sexily at the thought...naked Sam...naked him. Woohoo!

As soon as the door was closed, he pulled her towards him and kissed her deeply. "I've wanted to do that since they got here," he gasped when they broke apart.

"I think they would've understood, Jack," said Sam, running her fingers through his silver hair.

"Yeah, but I don't even want to think about dealing with their reactions," he said pulling her towards the bed. "I have other things on my mind right now."

"And what would those be O'Neill?" she asked, slowly unbuttoning his shirt and sliding it down his shoulders.

He couldn't give her an answer as her tongue was doing the most interesting things on his throat and chest. His breath caught in his throat as she lightly bit his nipple, moving down his now-bare stomach. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her up to meet his mouth. He broke from her only to pull the sweater over her head and relieve her of her bra. He made love...slow and passionate...to her for hours, before the need for sleep overwhelmed them.

She reached down and pulled the covers over them both. Laying her head over his heart, she allowed the rhythm of his heartbeat to lull her to sleep.

"Goodnight Sam. I love you," said Jack with a yawn as he wrapped his arms around his wife.

"Goodnight Jack. I love you too," replied Sam, not bothering to open her eyes.

They both awoke some time during the night and put on clothes. It definitely wouldn't be funny if someone caught them naked in the morning...mainly their daughter. They both went into Jenny's nursery to check on her. She was on her side with her arm around Charlie, thumb in her mouth. Tears once again touched Jack's eyes. He couldn't believe he was so lucky to have a wife like Sam and a beautiful daughter like Jenny.

They took turns leaning over and kissing the child softly. "Sleep well my little angel," whispered Sam. Jack pulled the covers up tighter around Jenny to keep her warm and stroked her blonde hair gently. She rolled onto her back and opened her eyes.

"Daddy?"

"Shh sweetheart. Go back to sleep," he whispered, continuing to stroke her hair until she was completely asleep.

Jack took Sam by the hand and led them back into their room and pulled her back under the covers where it was warm. He kissed her gently and pulled her back into his embrace.

"I love you, my beautiful wife," he whispered against her neck.

"I love you too, my wonderful husband," she whispered back before allowing sleep to claim her once again.

The next morning, they were awakened by the cries of their daughter. Dressing quickly, they ran into her room, afraid that Kinsey and his goons had tried again.

They found her standing beside her crib, trying to pull Charlie and her sippy-cup through the slats. They were both shocked. She'd never gotten out of her crib before.

Jack picked her up and held her close. "Want Charlie," she sobbed, reaching for the bear.

Sam picked up her bear and handed it to her. She started stroking Jenny's hair as Jack stroked her back.

She shoved her thumb in her mouth and hiccupped. "Hey," whispered Jack.

"Huh?" said Jenny, still upset she couldn't get to her bear. She didn't understand why he wouldn't fit through the slats of her crib.

"How did you get out of your crib?" he asked.

She removed her thumb and said, "I climbed." She stuck her thumb back in her mouth. Sam wiped the tears from her cheeks.

Jack gave Sam a wide grin. She was thankful he'd bought her the toddler bed. At least they wouldn't have to worry about her falling so far if she fell out of the bed.

Sam changed her diaper as Jack went to refill her cup with milk. He brought it back and handed it to her. "Everything's ready," he whispered to Sam.

He picked Jenny up and said, "Ready to see what Santa brought you baby?"

"Ok," she hiccupped.

Sam grabbed the video camera and followed Jack and Jenny out of the room. She squealed with excitement when she saw all the presents under the tree. Jack sat her down and she immediately ran to the tree. Apparently, though, she remembered what'd happened at the cabin and stopped short.

She turned around and looked at Jack as he sat down on the floor in front of the fireplace. He saw the apprehension in his young daughter's eyes and immediately felt the pain of regret. He remembered yelling at her and causing her to cry. He never wanted to go through that again. Rephrase that...he never wanted to put her through that again.

"C'mere, baby," he said, holding his arms out for his daughter. She immediately jumped into them and he gave her kiss on the cheek.

"Guys, you wanna start handing out the gifts?" asked Sam, positioning herself where she could videotape everything.

"Yeah," said Cassie.

She reached under the tree and pulled out a box labeled "To Jenny, From Santa."

She handed the box to Jack. Jenny just looked at it. "Open it baby," he whispered in her ear.

She tore into the wrapping and he helped her open the box. According to the package, it was a Leapstart Learning Table.

Jenny clapped her hands. "Yay!"

Jack put it to the side and motioned for another one. And so it went until all of Jenny's presents were opened. That little girl made out like a bandit...a pink scalloped toddler bed (with matching nightstand), a Disney princess rider, dolls, clothes, other toys...etc. Then they passed out the rest of them. Jack and Sam bought Daniel a new archaeology book; Cassie two tickets to Paris; and Teal'c several new hats.

Jack handed Sam her gift...a small, long box. She opened it and gasped at the gift inside...a diamond necklace, matching earrings, and bracelet. When he handed her another box, she gave him an inquisitive look. Opening that box, she found a golden heart-shaped locket with Jenny's birthstone in the middle. Opening the locket, she found a picture of Jenny on one side and a picture of Jack on the other.

"Thank you, Jack," she whispered, giving him a kiss.

She reached under the tree and handed a small box to Jenny. "Jenny, give this to daddy."

"Mewwy Chistmas, daddy," said Jenny, handing him the box.

"For me?" asked Jack, feigning surprise.

"Open it," she demanded.

Her demanding twenty month old voice caused everyone to laugh hysterically. They quickly shut up when she muttered, "For cryin' out loud, open it daddy!"

They stared at Jack and then burst into another round of laughter at the expression on his and Sam's faces.

"She's definitely her father's daughter," gasped out Daniel through the tears of laughter rolling down his face.

He looked at Jenny and laughed at the look of confusion on her face. He finally decided to put his young daughter out of her misery.

When he unwrapped the gift, he gasped at the object inside...an authentic Rolex watch. "It's beautiful Sam! I love it," he said, kissing her.

"Daddy like?" asked Jenny.

He hugged her hard. "Daddy like very much. Thank you, baby."

Jack quickly opened his other gifts...a fishing rod and reel from Daniel, a new telescope camera from Teal'c, and The Simpson's on DVD from Cassie. He waited for Sam to finish opening her other gifts...a new astrophysics book from Daniel, a reserve motorcycle part from Teal'c, and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy from Cassie.

Jenny was getting restless. "Play now, pwease?"

Sam reached over and plucked her out of her father's arms. "Let's get you dressed first...then you can play, ok?"

"Ok, mommy."

"I'm gonna get some breakfast started," said Jack.

"Ok," said Sam, carrying Jenny back into her room.

She put her in a yellow Winnie the Pooh pants and shirt. "Ready for breakfast, sweetheart?"

"Wanna play," she pouted.

"You will," said Sam, picking her up from the changing table. "After you eat. I promise."

Jenny sighed in resignation, causing Sam to grin. "Ok," she said.

She carried her into the dining room as Jack was getting the pancakes out of the skillet. She placed her in her highchair as Jack put the first pancake in front of her.

"Be careful, baby. It's hot," he said as Sam started cutting it up for her. He poured a little bit of syrup on her plate.

"Cassie, can you put some more milk in her cup, please?" Sam asked.

"Sure." She filled the cup with milk and, placing the lid back on, handed it to the toddler who was smearing maple syrup all over her plate.

"She's gonna need a bath after this," said Jack laughing as he placed the rest of the pancakes on the table.

Everyone took their normal spots...Jack and Sam on each side of Jenny; Daniel next to Sam; Teal'c next to Jack; and Cassie between Daniel and Teal'c.

"You can give it to her, honey. After all," said Sam with a twinkle in her eye, "it was your bright idea to serve pancakes and syrup."

"You can't have Christmas breakfast without pancakes," said Jack defiantly. "It's...it's un-American!"

They ate and talked about what they were going to do that day. Jacob was coming in from off-world for Christmas dinner. Mark and his family promised they would also be there. It would be the first time Mark had seen Jenny. It was going to be an interesting day.

"Full," said Jenny after eating half her pancake. She had syrup and eggs all over her.

Jack shook his head. "Isn't this where I came in?"

Sam gave him a look of astonishment, then remembered the first time he'd given Jenny a bath: the night he proposed. She smiled and laughed with him.

"Yep," she said, softly.

He took her into the bathroom and stripped her. "Want a bubble bath?"

"Yes, pwease." He shook his head in astonishment. For twenty months old, Jenny had the manners that most teenagers didn't.

He made sure the water was just right before putting her in. He let her play for a while after washing her down.

"Sam?" he called out to his wife.

She walked in, holding a diaper and a change of clothes for Jenny. "What's wrong?"

He turned and grinned. "Nothing. I was just wondering if you wanted to put her in that red dress we bought last week."

"Nah. I'm gonna save that for tonight. Even though it's not gonna be formal, I want to dress her up for dad and Mark."

"They're gonna be shocked you know," he said.

She gave him a look of confusion. "Why?"

"Because they're gonna see the most beautiful, most perfect little girl in the world, wearing a beautiful red dress."

She laughed at the expression on his face and his words. He was right though. They both believed that Jenny was the most beautiful little angel ever born into this world.

Jack got her out of the bath and handed her to Sam who was holding a towel open for her. She dried her off and Jack put her diaper on her. He allowed Sam to dress her in yet another Carebears outfit...this time, a pink one.

"Ya know what?" he asked.

"What?" she asked as she lifted their daughter up. He wrapped his arms around her and smiled.

"I'm thankful she likes Carebears and not a certain purple dinosaur."

Sam immediately knew he was talking about Barney. She didn't really have anything against him, but he was just freaky. Besides, it was one of the few things that Jenny was scared of.

"She doesn't like him. She screams every time he's on TV. That's why there's nothing with him in it or on it here."

"Mommy, play?" she begged.

Both Sam and Jack laughed. "Ok, baby. We can play now."

He took the giggling toddler from her mother and took her back into the living room. There they sat for the next few hours playing with Jenny's toys.

At lunch time, Sam made some chicken soup and sandwiches for everyone. Then, they all played some more. Jack was playing with Jenny's learning center when he noticed she was missing.

He stood quickly. "Sam, where's Jenny?" he asked, anxiety evident in his voice.

They looked around the living room, but didn't find her in any of the boxes or under the blankets. Finally, Jack peeked behind the couch. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Found her," he said quietly. "Sam, come look."

Walking quickly around the couch, Sam smiled when she saw her daughter. Jenny was curled up on her side, thumb in her mouth, arm around Charlie...sound asleep.

"Guess all the excitement wore her out," whispered Sam, bending down to pick her up.

"Mommy?" said Jenny sleepily.

"Shh. Go back to sleep," whispered Sam, stroking her back gently.

Jack followed as Sam took her to her room and laid her in her new bed. He helped her change Jenny back into her pajamas. Jack being...well Jack...had bought flannel sheets - albeit Carebears sheets - to go on her new bed. Sam picked out a new pink Carebears comforter.

Jack waited patiently while Sam pulled the comforter over their daughter. He placed Charlie in the bed with her and kissed her forehead gently.

He stood back and let Sam do the same. He took her hand and led her back to the living room. They played cards until about 4:30 that afternoon.

Jenny woke up and toddled into the living room. "Mommy?"

Sam turned and saw Jenny standing there with Charlie dangling from her sleepy grasp. "C'mere baby," said Sam, holding her arms out.

Jenny shuffled over to her parents and Sam picked her up and kissed her cheek. Jack did the same as Jenny cuddled up to Sam, still sleepy. Cassie left to get her some milk. When she returned, she handed Jenny her sippy-cup and kissed her forehead.

"Tanks Cassie," said Jenny.

"You're welcome, Jenny," said Cassie.

Jenny laid her head on Sam's shoulder and drank her milk quietly.

"Guess what?" whispered Sam into Jenny's ear.

"Huh?" said Jenny, finally beginning to wake up. She leaned back and looked at Sam.

"Guess who's coming tonight?" she said.

"Who?"

"Grandpa and Uncle Mark," said Sam.

Jenny's eyes lit up. She loved her Grandpa Jacob. Then the excitement died, replaced by wariness. "Unca Mark?"

Sam tightened her grip on Jenny. "Yes, baby. Uncle Mark wants to meet you." She'd told him about her daughter, but he'd never even sent a birthday card, nor congratulations when she was born. When he called, he never asked about Jenny...or about Jack. That really pissed Sam off. He'd always asked about Pete, her ex-boyfriend. But, he never asked about her husband or daughter. They were going to talk when he got there.

"Ok," said the toddler hesitantly.

Jack reached over and kissed her cheek. "It's ok, baby," he said. Sam had told him about the way that Mark acted. It didn't bother him that Mark didn't ask about him. It bothered him greatly that Sam's brother never once asked about Jenny.

Daniel and Teal'c caught on to the intensity of the light conversation between the parents and their daughter. "Sam? Is everything ok?"

"It will be, Daniel," she said softly as Jack slid his arm around her shoulders.

She looked up at the time. "Crap. It's almost 5:00! They'll be here at 5:30! We've got to get her ready," she said, trying to stand with Jenny in her arms.

Jack stood and helped her stand. Jack took Jenny from her. "I'll get her dressed while you get dressed. Then I'll change," he said.

"Ok," she said.

He took Jenny in her room and, after changing her diaper, put her in the red dress and red shoes. "You look like a princess, baby," he said kissing her small cheek.

He took her back out to the living room and handed her to Daniel. "Don't let her get dirty," he said.

"Jack. She's not even two. How dirty can she get?"

Jack gave Daniel a look. "You have no idea. Just don't let her get down," he said, a hint of an order in his voice.

"Ok, ok."

He went to their room and he and Sam quickly showered and dressed. Sam was actually wearing a red dress that kind of matched Jenny's. Same color, but it didn't have all the ruffles that the baby's dress did.

Jack chose a red shirt with black slacks. Damn, but that man looked good and he knew it. The O'Neill family looked good...at least that's what Daniel said. Teal'c and Cassie agreed. Daniel took some pictures of the three of them standing in front of the fireplace and some in front of the tree. Then they each took turns getting their picture taken with the littlest O'Neill.

By the time Daniel got his turn with her, she was getting antsy. He handed her back to Sam as the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," said Daniel.

Sam sat down on the couch and Jack slid his arm around her.

"Hungwy mommy," said Jenny.

"I know baby," said Sam. "It's almost time for dinner."

"Where's my angel girl?" said a familiar voice from the entryway.

Jacob Carter walked into the living room, followed by Mark, his wife, and kids.

"Grandpa!" exclaimed Jenny, squirming to be let down. "Down!"

Sam sat her on the floor and she immediately took off running to Jacob's outstretched arms. He picked her up and placed a kiss on her cheek. He shifted her to hug Sam and Cassie.

"My three favorite girls," he said with a smile.

He held his hand out to Jack. "You been taking care of my girls, Jack?"

"Yes, sir," said Jack, grasping the older man's hand. They hadn't told him anything about Kinsey, Pete, or Kerry.

"Good," he said, handing Jenny to Sam and grabbing Jack in a bear hug.

They were all as surprised at Jack looked. But, he returned the hug, clapping Jacob on the back once.

"Sam," said Mark, still standing in the entryway.

"Mark," said Sam...no hint of emotion in her voice.

"Mommy?" said Jenny hesitantly. She'd picked up on the tension between Sam and her brother.

"It's ok, baby," said Sam, kissing the top of her daughter's head. She looked at Jack. He immediately stepped beside her and took her free hand in his.

"Mark, this is my husband, Jack and our daughter, Jenny," she said.

Mark reluctantly held his hand out to Jack. Jack knew the feeling. He reached out and shook Mark's hand briefly before releasing it. Mark reached out to touch Jenny and she shied away from him, burying her head in her mother's shoulder. He dropped his hand almost angrily.

Jacob cleared his throat breaking the tense silence in the room. "When's dinner? I'm starved."

"Right now," said Daniel from the kitchen. "Turkey's done!"

They ate in silence. Mark would try to start a conversation with Sam, but she would answer monosyllabically. He wouldn't give up. Finally, Sam started giving him actual answers.

Sam gave Jenny a quick bath and put her in her pajamas. Cassie, Daniel, and Teal'c had already left. They wanted to give the family time to themselves. Neither Sam, nor Jack, really wanted them to leave. They were, in fact, closer to the three of them than their family was...except for Jacob.

Sam and Jack were sitting on the couch with Jenny on Jack's lap. Jack was trying to get her to go to sleep, but she was fighting it. Sam started stroking her back. That always seemed to work. She had just about dozed off when...

"Sam, I have a question for you," said Mark.

Jack felt Sam stiffen at the sound of her brother's voice and he gently squeezed her shoulder. "What?"

Jenny jerked awake. Jack shook his head angrily.

"Daddy?" she asked, her bottom lip trembling.

"It's ok, baby. Shh." He held her closer and she laid her head on his shoulder, looking at Sam.

Sam saw the sadness in her young daughter's eyes. She was so ready for Mark to leave. He hadn't said one word to Jenny the entire time...nor Jack.

Sam laid her head on Jack's shoulder, close to Jenny's, breathing in her daughter's scent and that of her husband. They were both calming to her.

"What happened between you and Pete?" asked Mark.

Jenny began to cry. She was scared even of the man's name. Sam jerked her head up and stared at her brother angrily.

"Damnit Mark! Didn't I tell you not to bring that up?" asked Jacob, angrily.

"He's a friend, dad. I want to know what happened," said Mark defiantly.

Sam kissed Jenny on the forehead, trying to calm her nearly hysterical crying. Jack rubbed her back soothingly and whispered words of comfort in her ear.

"He pushed my daughter on the floor, Mark. That's why I left the bastard. He pushed her off my lap onto the floor."

"He wouldn't do that. He loves kids." He dismissed the thought with a wave of his hand.

"Yeah, he might. But, he didn't love my kid. He scared her...and me. I wanted to be with the father of my baby. And now, I am. If you can't deal with that, you're not welcome here," said Sam.

She laid her head back on Jack's shoulder. Jenny was still crying. She kissed Jenny on the forehead again and stroked her cheek. Jenny took a shuddering breath and finally began to calm down. Within minutes, she was finally asleep.

"I'm gonna lay her in her bed," said Jack, standing. Sam followed and watched as he placed her in her new bed, covering her up. They both kissed her softly and, leaving the door open, they walked, hand in hand, back to the living room. They sat down on the couch and Jack draped his arm around her shoulders.

"Sam, what happened to him? Where is he? I've been calling his house for a few days and he's not answering the phone," said Mark.

"I don't know Mark. I don't care. He..." she trailed off as Jack tightened his grip on her shoulder.

Jack had just about had enough of Mark's attitude towards Sam. "Mark, I know you're Sam's brother and Jacob's son. But, if you continue upset my wife or my daughter, I will have to ask you to leave."

He almost laughed at the look of surprise on Mark's face...but, he kept it inside. "That man hurt Sam in more ways than one. He hurt my daughter and that is something I can never forgive."

Mark was becoming angry. "You didn't even know about her! You come into the picture and all of sudden, Pete is out."

"Mark, I broke up with Pete months before I started seeing Jack. Pete was never in the picture. I've always loved Jack. Pete had a violent streak, Mark...a side of him that you never knew about."

Jack looked at Sam in shock. She'd never told him that Pete had been violent. But, sitting there, he remembered seeing bruises that shouldn't have been there. He just thought that she'd gotten them from a training exercise or something.

"I don't believe it," said Mark.

"Believe it," said Sam. "Towards the end, he actually started stalking me...watching my house, calling me at work all the time. I finally had to request that no messages be passed on to me from him. It was just too distracting."

"Why didn't you say something?" asked Jack.

She turned to face her husband. "There was nothing that could be done."

"I could've done something," said Jack with quiet anger towards the man who had caused his wife so many problems. He prayed that Ba'al had tortured him over and over again before finally killing him.

"You would've killed him, Jack. Then I would've lost you...Jenny would've lost her father before she even had a chance to know him." Her tears started to fall.

Jack wrapped his arms around his wife and held her as she cried. "Shh, baby. I'm here now...and I'm not going anywhere."

"Mark, I think it's time that you left," said Jacob to his son.

"Dad?"

"I warned you not to bring this up. I told you that Sam was happier with Jack than she'd ever been with Pete. I told you that they were a family and nothing could come between them. But, you never listen. You always had to have things your way."

Sam was starting to calm down. "I thought we'd put everything behind us Mark. But I can see that you're still determined to try to run my life. I'm a married woman with a daughter. If you can't handle that fact, then I don't want you in my life."

Mark's eyes widened at this revelation. "Sam, you're willing to give up your family for this man?"

"I'm not giving up my family. Jack is my family. As is Jenny and dad. I wanted you to be in this equation, but apparently you don't want to be. You're the one that's putting friendship before family."

"Sam, why are you doing this? Pete is a good guy!" he yelled.

It woke Jenny who immediately started crying. "Mommy! Daddy!"

Jack and Sam ran to her bedroom to get her. When they walked back out, Jack was angry...very angry. "Get out!" he said, barely controlling his anger.

Mark shook his head and looked at Sam. "Sam?"

"Mark, I think you'd better do what he says," said Jacob.

"Dad, how can side with them?" he asked in shock.

"I'm not siding with anybody," said Jacob. "But, you are way out of line, Mark. Sam, Jack, and Jenny are a family. They come as one. You have to accept them as one. Otherwise, you'll be missing out on watching your niece grow up."

Jenny stuck her thumb in her mouth and took shuddering breaths through her hiccups. Her sobs became whimpers as she slowly stopped crying. She laid her head on Sam's shoulder and looked at Jack. He was still angry, but the look in his daughter's eyes caused his heart to break. She looked so sad.

He reached over and touched her cheek, gently wiping her tears away. He kissed her cheek, his five o'clock shadow tickling her face. He got the response he wanted...she giggled. The sound eased some of the tightness in his chest.

"You ok?" he whispered.

She pulled her thumb out of her mouth and said softly, "sleepy." She yawned and closed her eyes. Her body was still being racked by hiccups due to her crying. Sam was rubbing her back in a slow, circular motion.

"Jack?" she whispered.

"Shh. She's almost asleep," he said, kissing Jenny again.

He turned to Mark and motioned for him and Jacob to follow him into the entryway. Jacob could tell Jack was ready to explode.

"Jack, keep your head," said Jacob.

"Oh, I will."

When they were out of sight of Sam and the baby, Jack grabbed Mark by his shirt and pushed him against the wall.

"You will never mention that...that...that asshole's name in my presence again. Do you understand me?"

"That asshole, as you put it, is one of my best friends," said Mark. "And he was Sam's fianc."

Jacob was able to remove Jack's hands from Mark's shirt. "Jack, control your temper."

"Was being the operative word," said Jack. "He beat your sister, hurt my daughter. Hell, he tried to kidnap my daughter!"

"What?" asked Jacob, looking in on Sam and Jenny.

"Shit," said Jack, running his hand through his hair. "Yeah. A couple of days ago, he and Kinsey and Kerry Johnson burst into our cabin and tried to take Jenny." He shook his head trying to clear the anger out. "Luckily we had some friends in high places that came to the rescue."

Jacob raised an eyebrow at the emphasis on "high". He knew immediately that Jack was talking about the Asgard.

"I don't believe it," said Mark defiantly.

"Jacob," growled Jack

"Mark, as much as I love having you and the kids here, I think it's time that you headed back to San Diego," said Jacob, stepping between his son and son-in-law.

"Fine," said Mark. "We'll go." He got his kids and wife and left the house.

Jack walked back in and sat down beside Sam. Jenny was snuggled up to her mother sound asleep, thumb still in her mouth. He kissed her gently on the cheek before leaning against the arm of the couch and pulling Sam into his arms.

Jacob came back in a few moments later and stared at his daughter and son-in-law. "Spill it, Jack. What happened?"

Jack took a deep breath before opening his mouth. "It all started the day Sam and Jenny moved in with me..."

An hour later, Jacob was in shock at what Jack and Sam had just told him. He couldn't believe that Pete would stoop so low as to try to kidnap his granddaughter.

"Why didn't you contact me?" he asked quietly.

"You couldn't have done anything, dad," said Sam. "By the time we realized what was going on, Thor had already beamed us up...he'd already given Jenny the bracelet that protects her."

"Why did he give her this bracelet?" asked Jacob.

Jack cleared his throat. "He believes that Jenny is going to be the one to save his race. He said that I was the most advanced human a while back. Now, he claims that because Jenny is my daughter...and Sam's daughter...and because Sam was host to Jolinar, she is now the most advanced human. He put a marker in her blood, like mine, to keep Loki and other strange ones from attempting to clone her."

Sam looked at Jack in shock. She didn't know this. "When did you find this out?"

"Right after we arrived on the ship, you were taking care of Jenny and he pulled me aside and told me that he thought she was the most advanced human because of her genetic makeup." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I figured that's why he gave her the bracelet. He wants to make sure that she grows up."

"Wow," was all she could say.

"Yeah, I know," he said, looking at the little girl in his wife's arms. A grin grew on his face as he watched her tiny mouth open in a yawn.

He turned to look at Jacob. Although in shock regarding the day's events, he was almost asleep.

"Jake, it's late. Why don't we all just go to bed and we'll finish this discussion tomorrow," said Jack.

Jacob readily agreed. He kissed Sam and Jenny on the cheek. He grabbed Jack in a bear hug. "Welcome to the family, Jack."

"Thanks, Jake."

Maybe it was because of the night's events and her reaction to them, but Jack and Sam decided Jenny would sleep with them that night.

Sam laid her in the middle after changing her diaper. "I still can't believe that Mark acted like that Jack."

"It's ok, baby. Everything's gonna be fine...I promise," he said, giving his wife a soft goodnight kiss.

"I love you, Jack. Never forget that," she said with a yawn.

"And I love you. I'm going to show you everyday how much I love you, so you won't have a chance to forget," he said with a grin.

"Goodnight Jack," she said, covering them up.

"Night Sam."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jessie Carter-ONeill