Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Shade: Part 2

by Gene Este
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Shade: Part Two

Shade: Part Two

by Gene Este

TITLE: Shade: Part Two
AUTHOR: Gene Este
EMAIL: t_girl21@mail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Drama, A bit of S/J romance, Angst
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 4; part two in a series
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Mild Violence, Mild Torture, Mild Swearing, male/female relationship
SUMMARY: Sam is still in captivity; The SGC has to deal with a difficult decision...
STATUS: Incomplete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: First of all, I don't know the name of Mark's wife or children, so I made one up. If you no either one, let me know. Second, I think Mark lives in San Diego, but I may be wrong, and if I am, let me know. And I took creative license for Sally's parents; it was necessary. That's all. Thanks to all my friends at FF.net, and to my Best friend Sherri for underestanding why I'm a zomie and have taken to calling her Sam...Feedback very much appreciated. Until next time: Let the games begin...

One Month Later

How long has she been gone now? A month? Jack rubbed his eyes. They had looked everywhere. Talked to everyone they could meet and think of. They had found out nothing. Absolutely Nothing. He got up from his desk where he had been catching up on paperwork to go see off SG-9. The teams had been allowed, though on alert, to go off world last week. He found Daniel standing near the door in the gate room, having read his thoughts. They had been doing that a lot lately.

Jack walked to Daniel's side. Daniel glanced at him, "You know, it just doesn't feel right without her."

"I know." Seeing as Daniel wasn't going to say anything else, he went on. "Jacob's coming through the gate today, to update us on any news," Hoping that it would put optimism back into the archeologist's face, but deep down knowing it wouldn't.

"The only news we're going to hear is 'There's no news.'" He replied.

Jack sighed. He couldn't be mad; he knew Daniel was right. If the SGC couldn't find anything, he doubted the Tok'ra would have much luck either. The gate opened, and hearing a go from the control room, SG-9 stepped through. SG-1 themselves were on standdown until one of three things happened; One, they found her, Two, they found her dead, or Three, They didn't find her and they have to find a replacement. Neither of the latter options were really options to him. But then it didn't matter what he wanted. He didn't want Carter to be captured, but she was. He wanted to find her, but they hadn't. And he wanted to tell her how much she mattered to him, but he couldn't. God, he thought, I hate the Goauld...

How long have I been here? A month? A month. That means November's gone. It's... December. Yes, December. How could I forget? Christmas will be coming soon. Mark is going to be mad...

"Mark?" Shade asked, not familiar with the name.

"Mark is my brother. I haven't told you about him?"

"No, you haven't."

"Oh. Well, he's four years older than I am. He and I have always had a rocky relationship. He was pretty angry when I joined the military."

"Why?"

"My mother died when I was a teenager. She was out doing last minute Christmas shopping and my Dad was supposed to pick her up, but he couldn't make it. So she took a cab. The cab had an accident, and she was killed. Mark blamed him, and me going into the Air Force was like saying it was okay to him, I guess. My Dad, Mark and I got it worked out about a year ago, but before then, we hardly ever talked to each other. My Dad and I were supposed to spend Christmas in San Diego with Mark, Sally, and their kids. He's going to be really mad when he finds out I'm missing in action. Especially when Dad won't be able to tell them anything other than that."

"Why won't your father be able to tell them what's happened to you?"

"The Stargate program is classified. The public doesn't know anything about it, and the government tries to keep it that way." Sam knew the goauld would be coming for her soon. The Jaffa and her had worked out a schedule. She would wake up in the morning; eat the slosh that they gave her to keep her alive for the torture, then the Jaffa would come for her. They'd torture her, and then bring her back when they were finished. That could be hours, it could be minutes. It all depended on how the Jaffa felt that day. She would have the rest of the day to sleep, talk to Shade, and think about home in their pitch-black cell. Just then, it occurred to her that she had no idea what Shade looked like, and that Shade didn't know what she looked like. They had spent a month in close confines, he had held her, she had told him everything she could about her world and family, but they didn't know what the other looked like. Sam started to laugh. She heard chuckles coming from Shade's side of the cell.

"What a ridicules situation," Shade said, but his laughing stopped when he the door opened, and the Jaffa stepped in. She was getting up to go with the awaiting Jaffa, wincing as her still-injured leg burned with pain, when she saw something flash in the corner of her eye. She saw Shade move into the light from the doorway. Normally, he avoided the light when she was taken, and when he went she was usually asleep. But here she was now looking at the kindest, handsomest face she had ever seen. He was tall, with dark skin and brown eyes. He just vaguely reminded her of Cuba Gooding Jr. She smiled at him, and at what he had done for her.

He looked at her, puzzled. "Cuba Gooding Jr.?"

Her smile widened as she tried not to chuckle. "I'll explain later," she replied, and then limped out the door with the Jaffa.

"Hello, Jacob. Any news?" asked Jack has he entered the briefing room, stealing a quick look at Daniel. He had the distinct feeling that this meeting wouldn't go well.

"No, there isn't. The Goauld have kept a tight lid on where she is. No one we've talked has seen or heard anything." Daniel shot Jack an I-told-you-so look from across the table. Jack just shook his head; still trying to shake the feeling of foreboding that he had had ever since he had come in. But the feeling seemed to be justified as General Hammond came through the door and sat down at the head of the table, bearing a very pained expression on his face.

"Before I go on I just want to say that I fought this as hard and as long as I could, and that I tell you this in greatest possible sadness." He paused, and looked at the people now around the conference table. "My superiors have informed me that Major Samantha Cater has officially been designated as Missing In Action, and that we will no longer be permitted to take any teams to look for her. I'm sorry, Jacob. I tried everything. There's nothing I can do." Jacob nodded, hating the situation but understanding the George's position. Jack, Janet, who had been called to here the news because of her relationship with Sam, and Daniel were furious, however. And they all chose to express it at one time.

"What? We can't do that"-

"They're just going to give up"-

"Sir, What if she's still out there? We can't just"-

George raised his hand, and they all went silent. "Like I said before, I argued as much as I could. And believe me, I know how much she means to you," with that he looked at Jack, "But there's nothing anyone can do now. I'm sorry." He sighed, got out of his chair and headed toward the door. "Dismissed." Daniel leaned back in his chair, just staring at the table. Janet was fighting tears, and finally after several minutes left the room to be alone. Unable to help his friends at that moment, Jack left Daniel in the briefing room and walked, not caring where he was going. He found himself in the gate room, staring at the inactive stargate. He closed his eyes, and bowed his head. "I'm sorry, Sam. I'm so sorry."

Later That Day

The memorial service was simple; the members of the SGC gathered in the gate room. Jacob said words for Sam; Jack had declined to speak. He hated the decision to stop looking for her, and he supposed it was his way of saying that he hadn't given up. That he wouldn't give up. Jack shook himself, having missed Jacob's speech, and turned his attention to General Hammond, who took the podium after Jacob had finished.

"Major Carter was an invaluable asset to the SGC. In her years here she accomplished things that we before had never dreamed; got us out of situations that we thought hopeless. She saved the lives of many people in this room, including myself. She was a friend to all, and one of the best Air Force officers I have had the pleasure to know. She will be missed." The stargate, on cue, activated, leaving a blue hue cast on everyone's faces. Moments later, as a reef was sent through, the officers snapped to attention and saluted until it vanished and the Stargate deactivated. The people slowly filtered out, heading to their homes, since everyone was on stand down for the next week. SG-1 itself may be on stand down for a while longer, considering how soon a replacement was found for Sam's place on the team. Now they all had to deal with the business of breaking it to Sam's family. General Hammond and Jacob had struggled with what to tell the family; they had decided on the truth. Or at least as close to the truth as they could get with out actually telling the truth. Jack and Daniel met up with Jacob who was rubbing his eyes, looking extremely tired.

"How are you Jacob?" Jack asked him, looking a bit worried.

"I'm fine. I'm just not looking forward to telling Mark." Jacob sighed.

"You haven't told him yet?" Daniel asked, slightly surprised.

"I wasn't sure what to tell him. George and I only just now decided how to handle it."

Daniel nodded, understanding.

Jacob suddenly looked uncomfortable. "I have a favor to ask the both of you."

Jack and Daniel exchanged looks. "What is it?"

"I'd like you to come with me to tell Mark. He's here in Colorado for the next month."

"Why is he here for the next month? And why would you want us to come?"

"Well, as you know, Sam and I had the last two weeks of December off for Christmas. Sally's parents, she's Mark's wife, are only going to be in town for the first two. So they decided that it would be easiest to just spend two weeks with them and two with us. Mark has a lot of vacation days, so it wasn't going to be a problem. But now...Let's just say that Mark, of course understandably, is going to be very angry. He hated Sam's decision to enter the Air Force. He's going to be looking for someone to blame."

"And you think that if we're there he'll contain himself?" Daniel asked.

"Yes." Jacob said, straining a thin smile, "Even with Selmak, I don't have the energy to deal with him." Jack nodded, glared at Daniel, who nodded too, "I understand. We'll come."

Jacob, Jack, and Daniel stood outside the house of Tim and Sandra Reed, Sally's parent's house. Jacob threw them a look equivalent to "Brace yourselves" and knocked on the door. When the door opened they were looking at a tall, red-haired man.

"Hello, Mark." Jacob said, forcing a smile.

"Hey Dad. What are you doing here?" He asked, as he motioned them to come inside. They were led into the living room, with light blue carpets and beige walls. Sitting on the couch, was a woman in her mid-thirties with dark hair and a beautiful smile, watching two young blond children, a boy and a girl, who both seemed excited to see their grandpa, the girl reminding him for some reason of Sam.

Avoiding the question for the moment, "Uh, Mark, I'd like you to meet some friends of mine. Colonel Jack O'Neill, Dr. Daniel Jackson, this is my son Mark, his wife Sally, and their two kids." Jack smiled slightly and muttered a 'Hi, how ya doin', and Daniel just said hello quietly.

Mark and Sally returned the greetings, and Sally smiled.

"It's good to see you Jacob. I don't suppose you brought Sam with you? I've been looking forward to talking to her for forever..." she trailed off, seeing the pained looks on their faces. "Jacob? Where's Sam? What's wrong?"

Sighing, "I need to talk to the both of you," and seeing the children, "Alone."

Eyeing Jacob, Sally went to the kids and told them to go play in their room, where they went.

"You might want to sit down." Jacob said.

"Dad, if it's bad news, then just get on with it. It won't be any better for me sitting down or standing up."

Jacob nodded. "Alright then. About a month ago, Sam went on a mission. Somewhere along the line that mission went wrong, and Sam went missing."

Mark was quiet. His gaze was intense, and it went form Jacob to Jack to Daniel, and then back to Jack. "What happened? Is she all right? Where is she?"

Jacob took a deep breath. "On all three, we don't know. We don't know what happened, or at whether she was hurt or not. And we don't know where she is. Yesterday she was declared Missing In Action."

Shock registered on Mark and Sally's face. Anger then took over Mark's. "Why weren't we told sooner?"

"Because the Air Force wanted to do all it could before she was dabbed as MIA. They didn't want anyone to know what was going on, because the mission was considered classified. And it still is."

Sally spoke up, her face showing the pain that she was in. "They don't have any idea where she is? I mean, there has to be something somewhere that they could go on. Did they even look for her?"

Jack spoke up, his voice cool. "I assure you, Mrs. Carter, that the Air Force did look for her. We care for her and have more respect for her than to just ignore the fact that she's out there somewhere. She's given too much to the Air force than to do that."

"Yes, she has given too much to the Air Force." Mark and Jack glared at each other for a moment, and Daniel gave Jack a look, a silent warning not to lose his temper, and then Mark broke the stare. He looked at his father. "Excuse me." He left the living room and went down the hall into a study, where he shut the door, none too quietly. Jacob sighed. Sally looked at him, sympathy and understanding in her eyes. "Jacob, go on. Explain it to him. He'll listen eventually." She smiled sadly, and then frowned. "I'm sorry, Jacob."

He nodded, and went after Mark. That left Jack and Daniel uncomfortable in the living room with Sally, who had moved to the window, looking out.

"I apologize Colonel, for saying that you didn't look for her. It implies that you didn't care for her, and I have no doubt that you did."

"It's alright. And call me Jack." She nodded at the window, and then turned around to face him. When she began to talk, her voice was shaky, as if she were trying to control tears. "Alright, Jack," she paused, looked down, and then looked back up, having decided what to say. "Is there any way that you could tell me where she was when she disappeared?" Jack shook his head. "No. I'm sorry."

She nodded her head, "Can you tell me what she was doing?"

He sighed, and then shook his head 'no' again.

She nodded again, and this time it was anger that shook her voice, not tears, and her next words were said slowly and with much emphasis. "Sam was my best friend, my husband's sister, and my children's Aunt. We all love her very much. Is there any chance, even in its smallest possibility, that she's alive?"

Daniel looked at Jack, wondering what he was going to say next. They both knew that after this long in the Goauld's hands, there was literally no chance that Sam was still alive. He had come to terms with this, and with that came the worst thing he had ever experienced in his life; the loss of all hope in good things. Jack caught Daniel looking at him, and held his gaze for a moment, and then looked back at Sally. "I don't know."

She bowed her head, and hugged herself.

"I was praying that you wouldn't say that."

They stayed until that night, Jacob finally coming out of the study after talking with his son for an hour. After Jack's talk with Sally, she had gone in the kitchen and cooked dinner for all of them. Jack and Daniel had just sat in the living room, not talking to each other. They had nothing to say. So this, he thought, is what's become of SG-1.

The next week went in a blur for what was left of SG-1. They had all returned to the base, unable to go to their empty homes. They were afraid to be alone, because then they'd think of Sam, and all their grief and guilt would come back full force, and none of them wanted that to happen. The end of the week came; and with it the new member of the team.

Teal'c, Daniel, and Jack had gathered in the briefing room, waiting for General Hammond and the new member. They didn't have to wait long. They all stood up as Hammond and a tall, muscular man black hair and olive skin. Hammond waved to them to sit down, and introduced them to the man.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gene Este