Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Taking the Opportunity

by Gemmie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Taking the Opportunity

Taking the Opportunity

by Gemmie

Summary: A different version if WoO, with Daniel in the loops with Jack.
Category: Challenge, Humor, Romance
Episode Related: 406 Window of Opportunity
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet, Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/29/03

Title- Taking the Opportunity
Author- Gemmie
E-Mail- gemmie_jam@hotmail.com
Archive- Dan and Jan, Heliopolis, Sam and Jack, Jackfic please...if you want it...please tell me where you are taking it :D thanks Season- 4
Spoilers- Window of Opportunity, Divide and Conquer Rating- PG 13
Content Warning- sexual situation, language, whumpage Summery- A different version of Window of Opportunity...with Daniel in the loops with Jack and Not Teal'c Disclaimer- I don't own `em...even if I did I would still let them nice people at MGM and such borrow them...that's how nice I am 0:) Authors Notes- This is my first proper D/J fic...it was a challenge set on DJA by ses and she Beta'd it so huge thanks and hugs go out to her, no seriously this IS her fic...I C/P from Yim. Her wonderful comments and demanding attitude made me write so my best fic, I think so ((((((((((HUGS SES)))))))))))...hope you like this and form everyone who reads this...the amount of pain I when through I would really love some feedback plz plz plz :o)

Dr. Daniel Jackson sprinted down the corridors of the SGC scattering several airmen as he went.

"Sorry!" he shouted, not bothering to stop or even slow down.

Colonel Jack O'Neill sprinted around the corner after him.

Daniel...get your butt here. NOW!" he shouted. Daniel risked a glance back... Jack was catching up. For a man of his age, he was sure in a good state of health. `Yes, just what I need,' he thought. Daniel darted for a nearby office. It was unused, but it still had a basic desk and other equipment in it. He slammed the door shut and locked it. He backed up to the desk, when Jack's face appeared at the glass window in the door.

"Daniel Jackson, open this god damn door NOW!" He tried yanking at the door handle.

"Do you promise not to kill me?" Daniel asked unsure.

"Yes, I promise not to kill you... How can you suffer if you are dead? Tell me that. I am soooooo gonna kick your butt! Then put your head through a wall, then kick your butt some more! Maybe then, and only MAYBE then, I will consider killing you!" he kicked the door.

The red lights started up and a voice over the speakers started echoing `UNAUTHORISERED OFF WORLD ACTIVATION'.

Jack stopped his attack on the door. "You just wait, Daniel. You just wait!"

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

Jack looked up at the sun through the protective goggles. He was no scientist, but he didn't think that what the sun was doing, was a good thing.

"Is it supposed to be doing that?" he asked Sam.

"It's a coronal mass emission. Like a giant solar flare." She told him.

"But it's safe, right?" he asked just a little concern in his voice.

"That's what this equipment is designed to find out. Apart from disrupting the planet's magnetic field, it might cause a significant increase in surface radiation." She explained.

"But it's SAFE, right?" He accentuated the concern just a little more this time.

Sam nodded. "As long as we don't stay here too long, yes, Sir."

"I think I'll go explain that to Daniel?" He turned and left her to her scientific dabbling.

Strange sounds started coming from the alter, as the stones on it started moving up and down like pistons. Daniel looked around a little confused at Jack.

"What's happening?" Jack asked as he rushed over to Daniel.

"I have no idea. It started making strange noises and Malikai here, started pushing all these... buttons." Daniel started shaking his head pointing at the other alien archaeologist.

"Hey, whatcha doing?" Jack asked Malikai.

The man didn't look up from the alter. "The geomagnetic disturbance is reaching its peak. I have to act now." He rushed. He took a weapon out of a bag and pointed it at Jack and Daniel.

"Hey, hey, HEY! Just put the gun down!" Shouted Jack Pointing his P90 at the man.

"I'm sorry, but I have to do this." He shot Daniel. Jack watched Daniel fall to the floor slowly. Malikai turned his weapon towards Jack. He shot the man in the shoulder. Just once, to wound him. The man stumbled and dropped the weapon. He saw this as his only chance, so he used his other hand to carry on pressing the stones on the alter hurriedly.

Jack picked Daniel up carefully, holding him up with one arm around his waist. Jack heard the Stargate engage. He turned to look for Carter and Teal'c, who were flat out on the floor.

"O'Neill!" Teal'c shouted, getting up. Jack looked at Teal'c just as he and Daniel were engulfed in a blinding light.

"Anyway, I'm sorry, but that... What just happened?" Daniel's tone of voice changed half sentence. Jack looked over to Daniel.

"What just happened?" Jack asked.

Daniel looked over to him confused. "I asked first!"

Jack waited a second before he replied. "You're smarter than me?"

"Are you two OK?" Carter asked.

"I don't know," Daniel said examining his hands.

"NO!" Jack said pointedly at him. "Everything just... changed."

"Sir, we've been sitting in the commissary for the past half hour." she told him

"No, Sam. Jack's right; everything just changed."

"Changed how?" She asked looking between the confused faces.

"We were on a planet...this other guy Daniel was with. He was messing with something, and then we were back here. I don't know what happened." Jack explained. Sam looked at Daniel.

"Don't look at me. I was unconscious...I think..." Daniel whispered looking hurt.

Sam shook her head. "When did this happen?"

"Just now!" Jack piped up.

"Sir, I just don't see how that's possible."

"Well, it seems to me it is possible, Carter." His frustration was growing.

"Maybe we should take you to Janet? Get you two checked out?" Jack considered this for a little while. Janet equalled doctor. Doctor equalled needles... Therefore, not a chance in hell!

"It's ok. I'm fine. I'm sure Daniel is too. Aren't you, Daniel? Don't you feel fine? We don't need to go see Janet, do we?" Jack's voice sounded desperate.

"Jack..." Daniel warned. "Something very strange has just happened. We should get checked out by Doctor Frasier first."

"But think of the needles, Daniel! Think of the needles!"

"JACK!"

"FINE!" Jacked huffed. "But if she get them needles out, I swear to God..." He left the sentence hanging in the air, as he got up from the table.

General Hammond entered the infirmary closely followed by a concerned Major Carter.

Dr. Frasier turned to the General "Well, Sir. I can't find anything wrong with either one of them. We'll have to wait for the lab results to be sure, but they both appear to be in perfect health."

"Except for the facts they're remembering events that haven't even happened yet." Sam added

"But why Jack and I, and not you guys?" Daniel countered General Hammonds face looked set. "I'm not taking any chances. Until we figure out what's going on, I'm postponing your mission to P4X-639 Doctor."

Daniel had been looking for Jack for the past twenty minutes. He wasn't in his office, he wasn't in Sam's lab or the gym OR the locker room. Daniel was stumped at where Jack could be. He walked along the corridor a little more just to see the commander of SG-1 round a corner ahead of him.

"Jack! Wait up!" Daniel jogged a little to get to Jack. "Um, I was thinking about what you said about a beam coming out of the alter. SG-15 took digital images of the carvings in the ruins. I was thinking, there could be a clue in there as to what's going on, but it's the equivalent of about 400 pages of alien text."

Just then Sergeant Siler rushed out of an adjoining corridor, not looking where he was going and crashed into Daniel sending him flying to the floor.

"Gee, sorry, Doctor Jackson." He apologised as he and another airman helped Daniel to his feet.

Jack patted the younger man on the back. "Should have seen that coming!"

"I've tried translating some of the alien text. Unfortunately, as I told Jack before, it's the equivalent of about four hundred pages." Daniel was in the middle of explaining to the rest of SG-1, General Hammond and Dr. Frasier what he had found out in the limited time General Hammond had given him to translate the language.

"And like I told Daniel before, General, he needs to focus on the alter deal thingy. He just wouldn't realise it because he was unconscious at the time!"

"And as I told Jack before; just because someone can recognise symbols on a keyboard doesn't mean they can run a computer. If I can translate the rest of the text, I can put the device in a proper context and figure out what it's supposed to do!" Just as he was about to say something else, the sound of the gate activating echoed through the briefing room.

"Unscheduled off world activation!" was heard over the tannoy.

They all dashed up to the window overlooking the Gate.

Lightening surged through and around the Stargate.

"What is that?" The General asked turning to SG1.

"I'm not sure, Sir. I've never seen anything like it." Said Sam turning to Jack and Daniel.

Jack looked annoyed. "We have!" He waved at them as there was a blinding light.

"Anyway, I'm sorry, but that..." He stopped mid-sentence. He blinked for a second. "Uh-ow, this is not good."

Jack dropped his spoon and rubbed his hands over his face. Sam's face looked confused.

"Is there something wrong?"

Jack looked frustrated. "Yes, there is."

Daniel got up from the table and left the commissary.

"Where's he going?" Sam started looking really concerned.

"Infirmary." Jack said simply getting up and following him.

"Colonel, there is nothing wrong with you!" Janet argued with an angry Jack.

"Then why do Daniel and I keep going back in time?" Jack retaliated.

"I don't know, Sir, but my entire test says you are in perfect health!" She argued back.

Jack held his head in his hands. "I never thought I'd say this, but...," he spoke quietly to himself, "run some more tests."

Janet looked shocked at Jack's request. She knew how much he hated the infirmary so he must be worried.

"Sir, I know you are worried, but there is nothing I can do."

Jack sat in Daniel's office juggling paper balls. He was bored and slowly going out of his mind. They had been back to the planet but it was unsuccessful. The only thing they found out, was that the alien archaeologist was behind it and he remembered what happened through the loops. Since then they had come up with many different ways to try and stop this damn thing. They found none of them worked. They had found the only way they where going to do this was for Daniel to translate the 400 pages of alien text and to figure out what to do. As he always did and that's what Daniel was doing now and there was nothing for him to do but to sit and watch him.

Daniel was finding it really hard to concentrate. Not only did he have to translate all this text, he also had Jack distracting him, screwing up paper and juggling with them.

"So Jack," Daniel had a plan, "how many of these loops have we been into? I've lost count."

"I have no idea. Why?"

"It's just you're sort of... uh... distracting me, so I thought you could go do something."

"Such as?" Jack asked putting his feet off the table onto the floor sounding interested.

"Well, think about it. If you know in advance that everything will be going back to the way it was, then ... you could do anything ... for as long as you want without having to worry about consequences. Lock yourself in General Hammond's office and ransack the SGC. Grab Sam and head for your office?"

Jack nodded his head in agreement "Yeah, I suppose...WHAT?"

"Oh, I know about the `you and Sam'-thing." Daniel replied absently

" What thing?" Jack asked astounded.

"You know... the Za'tarc revelation." Daniel pressed on.

"Huh? Daniel, what are you babbling about?"

"When all the evidence pointed to the fact that you and Sam were Za'tarc's, Sam at the last minute had a revelation that would stop you from being put to sleep. That apparently turned out to be that you had more than... uh... professional feelings for each other and that's why you wouldn't leave her on Apophis's ship.

"Who the hell told you that?" Jack sounded outraged.

"Oh... well, it seems Freya has feelings for you too. She seemed a little, well annoyed that you had feelings for someone else. I was a bit shocked, because you never said anything. Then when she told me it was Sam... Well, you could imagine my reaction."

"She told you she had feelings for me?"

"Well, she said Freya did, I was talking to Anise. Who apparently has feelings for me..." Daniel left the end of the sentence open.

"Yeah,... talk about a snake short of a blending!"

Daniel smiled to himself and looked back at the digital photos. He looked back to ask Jack something... "Oh Jack, by the way..." He looked around but Jack was no where to be seen. "Jack? Jack?" Daniel smiled to himself again. Peace at last.

At last Daniel had finished. It had taken a few more loops to do it than he expected, but that was due to Jack. When Daniel told him he could do anything without repercussions, he took it a little too far and Daniel had to keep going to General Hammond's Office to `talk' about Jack's behaviour.

At first, he had just started doing pottery. He never really had the time to do that so that was the first thing he had done. Then he decided that he wanted to ride a bike through the SGC. That seemed a little weird to Daniel, but it was still pretty innocent.

Until Jack decided, he wanted to play golf through the Stargate. Daniel didn't have to be brought to the General's office to know this as Jack had tried to persuade him to join him. Jack was pretty bad at golf, at first. It kept ricocheting off the walls and going no where near the Stargate. That annoyed the General, just a little. And Sam of course, who, when she found out what Jack was up to, screamed:

"Stop whacking balls at MY Stargate!"

She really needs to get out more.

After the golf incident the General frog marched Jack to his office and gave him the lecture about having responsibilities throughout these loops. Jack had heard this speech so many times he started yelling along with the General knowing exactly what was coming next. That was until Jack got sick of what became `the Speech' and pretended to spit polish the General's head, kiss it, then skipped out the room saying "I love you, George".

Saying General Hammond was a little peeved, was an understatement.

Daniel went to Jack's office looking for him. He opened the door to be greeted by billows of black smoke.

"Jack!" Daniel shouted through the haze.

"I'm here, Daniel. Come on in. I'm having a barbecue." Jack replied although Daniel couldn't see him.

"Twenty five floors under a mountain?" Daniel asked coughing.

"Is there a reason you're here or do you just want to spoil my fun?"

Daniel found Jack in the semi-darkness. "I finished the translation. If we hurry, we can stop this loop before it happens again.

Jack looked at the report in Daniel's hand. "Is that the translation and photos?" He said pointing at the files.

"Yes, why?"

Jack took the files from Daniel's hand and threw them in the fire. "Daniel, I've had fun this past few loops. I'm gonna be a friend and insist you have some too."

"Jack, what the hell you doing? Do you know how hard I worked on that thing? And what do you mean I have to have some fun too...what are you going on about?" Daniel asked.

"Like you said; no repercussions. Isn't there anything you've wanted to do without having to worry about consequences? I found out from a certain Major that a certain Doctor has a huge crush on you..."

"Really?"

"Yes."

Jack wrapped his arm around Daniel's shoulders and steered him out of his office.

"Daniel, I'm gonna show you the wonderful world of not giving a damn!" Jack grinned.

"Anyway, I'm sorry, but that..." Daniel looked at Jack and smiled. "... Seems like a really good idea," he said, finishing their previous conversation.

"Amen to that, Space Monkey!" Jack smiled shovelling another spoonful of fruit loops in his mouth.

Sam looked between the older and younger man getting more confused by the second. `Sometimes I think they live in their own little world.' She thought to herself shaking her head.

"And I think it's only fair, if we tell Sam about what we are going to do." Daniel pointed out.

"Why? It's not like she'll remember."

"So, she still has a right to join in, in our exploits of this situation."

"Guys? What's going on? Why are you talking like I'm not even in the room, never mind at the same table...What are you talking about?" Sam demanded

Daniel went to tell Sam what was happening, but saw Jack grinning out of the corner of his eye. "What's with the grin?"

Jacks eyebrows shot up. "What?" Jacks eyes flickered to Sam and his grin widened a little. Daniel noticed this.

"What did you do with Sam, Jack?" Daniel asked in an accusing voice

"What?" Sam asked. "What are you talking about? What did you do, Sir?" She asked turning to Jack.

"Well, for the past few loops, when I have been working hard, Jack has been slacking off and doing... things." Daniel explained.

"LOOPS? What, huh? What loops?" Sam probed looking annoyed. Jack looked uncomfortable.

Daniel carried on, ignoring her confusion. "Pottery, golf,... I don't know what else." Daniel stopped mid-thought. "You did, didn't you?" He asked suspiciously.

"What?" Jack asked innocently.

"When I told you about the no consequences thing I implied that you could kiss Sam and get away with it and you did!" Daniel grinned.

"No, I didn't!" Jack rebutted.

"WHAT?" Sam asked indignant.

"You're lying, I can tell." Daniel said taunting Jack.

"Erm, excuse me! Like I said before: WHAT?" Sam demanded a little louder.

"Well, it seems we are stuck in a time loop." Sam looked scared for Daniel's health. Daniel noted her anxious expression. "Don't worry. It's got something to do with sub space thingies and time whatsits... Anyway, I told Jack that there would be no consequences of doing anything, because no one but me would remember. And he kissed you. OWW!" Daniel turned to Jack.

"What?" asked Sam

"Well..." Daniel explained, "Jack has just kicked me under the table. So I suppose he wants me to shut up and by the colour he is turning, I bet it was pretty passionate." Daniel stood up and ran out of the room. Jack swivelled around in his chair shouting at the archaeologist.

"You are so dead, Jackson!" He turned back around in his chair to look at his very shocked second in command. "Major, it is not polite to gawk at your commanding officer!" He smirked.

"You kissed me?" She asked sounding slightly annoyed.

"Does that bother you, Major?"

"Hell no, but I'd like to remember it!" She blurted out quickly. She suddenly realised what she had said. Her eyes widened. "Oops!" She whispered.

"Thank you for that piece of information, Samantha." He stood up from the table and took her hand. All Sam could do, was stare at him with a confused expression, her jaw around her ankles. He bowed to her, kissed her hand and left her sitting there speechless.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gemmie