Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Have a Little Faith 1: Faith

by Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Have a little Faith: Faith

Have a little Faith: Faith

by Faith

TITLE: Have a little Faith: Faith
AUTHOR: Faith
EMAIL: angelic_devil21@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Series, Hurt/Comfort
PAIRING: Jack/other
SPOILERS: none, i don't think.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3; First in my series-there are more to come!
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: What happens when Daniel introduces Jack to very secret part of his past.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Firstly, to all those Teal'c fans out there, please don't flame me! i am aware that teal'c has very little to say, but that's only because i find writing dialogue for him very hard. i am trying to write more for him in the future.
Secondly, i am not Faith! the character in this story is nothing like me, she only has my nickname. i am not from egypt and i'm no linguist.
Thirdly, some of the plot might seem not to have a point or purpose, but believe me all is relevant to up and coming stories that will be posted as soon as they are completed.
Fourthly, i'd love some feedback. all are welcome to complain, but let it be constructive critism.
Fithly, i NEED a beta reader! i did not have one for this story. if you are interested in being a beta reader for the remaining stories, please e-mail me and i'll see what i can do.
Thanx.

"So people, what have you learned about the temple on PX2 983?" General Hammond asked SG-1 who were sat around the table in the briefing room.

"er, well...um." Dr Daniel Jackson floundered, he was speechless.

"What Daniel is trying to say is that, he has no idea and hasn't learned a thing." Colonel Jack O'Neill commented interrupting Daniel.

Daniel shot Jack a deadly look. "I was getting to that."

"Dr Jackson?" Hammond questioned.

"Jack's right." Daniel admitted.

"Thank you!" Jack announced proudly.

Ignoring Jack, Hammond waited for Daniel to explain.

"As far as I can tell from the layout, it's some sort of place of worship. There's literature on the wall, most probably telling the stories of the Gods, which are most likely to be Goa'uld as I found several references to them. But this is all theory."

"Is this all the information you could gather?"

"Yes, but it is very little of what's there."

"Is there any indication of the original inhabitants of the planet."

"You see sir, this is what's got me baffled." Major Samantha Carter answered.

"Major?"

"There's no sign of inhabitants on the planet, not for thousands of years and before that there's no way of telling. The only sign that non-plant-life has been on PX2 983 is the temple."

"So you're telling me that no one has lived on the planet?"

"It's hard to believe Sir I know, but there is no evidence of there ever being a population on PX2 983."

"General, Sir. It is possible that the people who built the temple knew how to use the Stargate and live on another planet." Daniel interjected.

"Daniel, you saw the path leading out to the dessert and the temple, no one's been through that grassland for years." Jack finally spoke up; he was more than bored.

"Jack, it is possible that since it was built the cultures died out, their beliefs have changed, they could have just lost the address, there are hundreds of possibilities." Daniel explained.

"So people, is there any thing of value to earth and the SGC on PX2 983?" Hammond asked.

"I do not believe so General Hammond." Teal'c answered, he'd kept fairly quiet during the de-briefing, he didn't agree with Daniel's theory but not having one of his own, was saying nothing.

"Alright, I won't be scheduling a return mission to PX2 983. Dismissed."

"General?"

"Dr Jackson?"

"Sir, SG-1 doesn't have any missions scheduled for the next week, do we?"

"No, what are you getting at Dr Jackson?"

"I think that there's more to the temple than meets the eye, but I need more time to study it."

"Dr Jackson, earlier you mentioned that you were unable to translate a vast majority of the text in the temple."

"Yes, but I am capable of it. The majority of the work is written in languages that I'm not overly familiar with but I do have the resources to translate it. I just need the time."

"Dr Jackson, may I ask why there is such a need to return to this temple?"

"I don't know, I just think that there's more there than we thought. I think we could find some very valuable information."

"Dr Jackson, from the photographs you've shown me, there is a great deal of text to be translated and the most I can give SG-1 is a week. Will you be able to complete this on your own, I can't give you any other personnel to assist you."

Daniel didn't know why but he knew there was something on that planet, something he was missing. He couldn't just leave it. He wouldn't, but he needed more than a week to translate the text from his books. "A week?"

"Yes Dr Jackson, two at best. Take it or leave it."

"A week it is then." He agreed, his mind silently working through different possibilities, the only one that made any remote amounts of sense was the one he disliked the most.

Hammond could see that through Daniel's knitted eyebrows and focused blue eyes, he was running through possibilities in his mind. "Dr Jackson?"

"General, I know someone who can help."

"Help?"

"Yes. They're far more familiar with these languages than I am and I know we'd have more chance of completing it."

Hammond looked at Daniel; he needed more than that to grant another civilian top level security clearance to the best kept military secret in the United States of America.

"We studied together, got our degree's. Her mother was Egyptian, she grew up there and could speak 7 languages by the time she was 10, her American father was an archaeologist, and she's followed in his footsteps. Last I heard she was in Colorado Springs, she's been in US since she was about 15."

"She? Seven languages,10!" Jack was unable to contain his shock.

"Seven languages is not much of a quota compared to your twenty-three, Dr Jackson." Hammond commented.

"General, she could speak seven when she was ten, the last time we spoke she was fluent in thirty two and still learning more."

Every one in the room was silent, shocked by the fact that there was someone out there worse than Daniel was.

"She's also a very good archaeologist."

"All right Dr Jackson, I think it's time the SGC employed another linguist. I'll have someone contact her."

"General, I think it'd be best if I did that."

"Dr Jackson?"

"Danny?" Jack also questioned.

"It's just we last spoke it wasn't on the best of terms, I just think I should speak to her first." He explained quietly.

"Alright Dr Jackson. SG-1 leaves tomorrow, you have until then to bring her here for debriefing."

"Yes Sir."

"Dismissed."

Once outside the briefing room Jack caught up with Daniel who was trying to make a quick escape. "Danny, care to explain?"

"It's nothing Jack." Daniel answered defensively.

"Danny?"

"I said it's nothing Jack!" He snapped.

Jack let Daniel walk away, he knew Daniel would come to him and explain when he was ready.

Faith Hudson growled deeply and threw her pen down at her paper in frustration before removing her glasses and rubbing her eyes. She was located in the University of Colorado Springs and was working under the very watchful eye of the resident researcher and head of Archaeology, Professor Cathleen Walsh. She was part of a large team that had been employed by the professor and her department to work on a shipment of newly uncovered artefacts on loan from the Egyptian government. They had been found on a dig just outside Cairo and after analysis by the Egyptians best and brightest, they had been moved to Colorado for no more than two months. The team that had been assembled had very little time to perform all the studies that they wanted, therefore many could be found in the labs till the early hours of the morning. Faith rarely left.

This is too much; this is way too much!

Switching on the lamp that sat on the crowded desk she returned her attention to the writing that circled the base and rim of the cylindrical, ivory and royal blue porcelain pot. The lid was sealed shut and her natural inquisitiveness was soon going to get the better of her if she didn't find out what was inside.

The beautiful and very ornate pot was nearly 50 cm tall and 20 cm in diameter, decorated with fine gold writing that she, nor anybody else, could identify. After doing some highly tedious researching she found other examples of a similar dialect on artefacts found as early as the 1920's, but no record of the language. She was getting more frustrated by the day, this was her part of the project and though she was not expected to find out the meaning of the text, she felt obliged to.

No, you just want to know so it won't nag at you till you're old and grey! Plus, you want to prove yourself to them, they don't think you can do it, that you're not good enough. You're going to work it out and you're going to show them, then we'll see if they're still laughing!

Silencing the voice in her head that spoke the hidden truth, she pushed it to the back of her mind and reminded herself it didn't matter, all this was, was overtime. Nothing more. Forcing her attention back to the unknown language she decided that if her research would bring her nothing she would have to start at the beginning and go back to the old ways.

Don't they always say they're the best?

Starting on a new piece of paper, she looked at each individual symbol, sketching it and breaking it down into its simplest forms. Using the methods she had known since she was a child, and had often used to teach herself languages and different dialects, began to translate. Faith worked solidly for hours, daylight had long since disappeared and before she knew it, it had returned. Looking at her watch she stared in disbelief, she had been working on the translation for 7 hours, it was nearly 6 am and it wasn't finished. There was one remaining symbol that continued to plague her, none of her methods could identify what the symbol meant and in the centre of the text, it left a gap in her translation. It was more annoying than anything else, but knowing her mind wasn't focused enough to solve the problem, decided to clock out and go home to grab a shower before returning. She had a full day of work ahead of her. She could cope. She hoped.

After opening the front door, Faith dragged herself inside the house and throwing her keys down onto the coffee table, collapsed onto the couch. Her limbs that now somewhat resembled lead weights, prevented her from getting back up as she sighed, happy to finally be resting.

I could call in sick.

"No." She said quietly arguing with herself. "You don't get paid if you phone in sick."

Faith groaned loudly as the someone knocked on the door and pulled herself off the couch and made her way to the door.

Who the hell comes round at 7 am on a Monday morning?

Faith stood staring at the figure in the doorway.

"Daniel?"

"Faith."

After the shock finally registered, she regained control of her paralysed tongue and asked angrily. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Well you'd better make it quick, because in precisely two second this door is going to slam shut in your face."

Taking his chance he moved further into the doorway and cut off her chances of her being able to slam it. "Faith please, just hear me out."

"Give me one goddamn good reason to!"

"Faith, I know I'm not one of your favourite people, but you have to listen, I can't explain why, but it'll be worth it. I promise."

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Not one of my favourite people? Do you have a selective memory or something? Daniel, you ruined my career and not to mention my life and you expect me to listen to you after 10 years! God, I thought you were intelligent!"

"Faith, I know-"

"No Daniel, you don't know! You don't have a clue what it is like for me, what it has been like. I refuse to listen to anything you have to say considering it's taken you 10 years to say it."

"I know I should have said I'm sorry a long time ago and I can't make up for that, but please. I need your help, the US Air Force needs your help."

"Daniel, I don't care. I finally have a stable job and I'm not giving you a chance to ruin that too. Now get out and don't come back."

"I'm sorry Faith."

"So am I Daniel. Sorry that I ever fell in love with you!"

Pulling a clean shirt over her head Faith ran down the stairs, the persistent knocking at her door getting louder. It was 8 pm and she'd only just returned from the University labs, and was ready to sleep for a week, despite the lack of sleep from the previous night, she had worked solidly.

I'm coming for God's sake!

"Can I help you."

"Yes, are you Dr Faith Hudson." Jack asked. Daniel had gone back to the base sulking that she had refused to even hear him out, so Jack decided that someone from USAF, with a solid rank behind them should give it a try.

"Yes I am, but no I don't want whatever you're selling." As she begun to shut the door, he put his foot in its path.

"I'm not selling anything."

She waited for an identity of explanation.

"I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill, United States Air Force."

"USAF?"

Jack nodded.

"So, Colonel O'Neill, what does the Air Force want and why did they send you?"

"Can I come in, this isn't the place to discuss it."

"You wanna show me some ID first." He wasn't in uniform and as far as she could tell there was nothing proving to her was an Air Force Colonel.

"This is all I got." He handed Faith his dog tags and driver's license, he didn't know she was going to be so suspicious.

"Come in." She handed him back his license and tags and moved out of the doorway.

Offering the Colonel a seat, which he declined, curiosity got the better of her.

"So Colonel, what is this about. I haven't stole any harriers. Lately." She wasn't in the mood to be playing nice with the Colonel; she was still smarting from Daniel's visit and being awake for nearly 39 hours. Sarcasm was defiantly her way of dealing.

Jack tried to stifle laughter and a smile; he only succeeded in hiding the laughter. She was nearly as bad as he was. The team would just love that, two Jack O'Neill sense of humours floating around. "So that was you?" He couldn't resist.

Faith feigned a smile. "Well, if you're not here about my jet stealing history, why are you here?"

"I'm a friend of Daniel's."

Faith laughed out loud. "Ha! You've got to be kidding me?"

Jack watched her laughing, her tired and drawn features seemed to relax slightly and she actually looked quite young and pretty, he suspected when she was in a better mood she was actually a nice person to know.

"I'm sorry, Daniel isn't the kind of guy I can associate with any of the forces, armed or otherwise."

"Daniel's a good friend of mine."

Faith nodded, pausing to think. "You do realise that by mentioning Daniel's name you've lost any chance you had of getting me to listen to you."

"You do realise that I'm here representing the Air Force." He retorted. Damn! Daniel wasn't kidding when he warned him to be careful, she was both mad and sharp whited. Bad combination.

"You do realise that I don't give a damn!"

Jack looked her in the eye. Crap! He'd been caught out, what more was there that he could say.

Faith met the Colonels stare; she wasn't going to back down, he obviously had no idea what this was really about. Daniel had kept him in the dark.

"Look, Ms Hudson, Daniel explained a few things."

"Did he now? I severely doubt that you got the whole story."

"You wanna tell me it?"

Faith wasn't sure how to respond, she certainly hadn't been expecting that.

"You tell me what happened with you guys and if I think that it's worth you missing out on what I have to say, then I'll leave you alone. So will Daniel."

"You go first, what's he told you."

"You guys got your degrees together, you were good friends because of your similar childhood's, you were pretty close, Danny messed up and you guys haven't spoke for a while."

"Okay. Point one, yes me and Daniel did get our degrees together, we were in nearly all the same classes, studying the same things and we were both very good at it. Point two, yes Daniel and me were very good friends from the offset, we both studied hard and grew up on digs in foreign countries, we connected. Point three, Daniel and me were more than close, we were together for nearly 5 years and at not one point did I stop loving him. When we got our degrees, we went on digs together, we searched for jobs we could both get, I was at point in my life where I could see us together till we were old and grey."

Jack looked stunned; Daniel had skipped on some major details.

Faith continued. "Point four, Daniel did more than mess up. He ruined my life, and please don't think that I'm being melodramatic because I assure you I'm not."

She paused, just remembering this hurt her more than the Colonel would ever realise, this was a memory that still haunted her, still hurt her and made her ache inside.

"After what wasn't me and Daniel's first argument about work he preceded to go and give a talk to the most distinguished and important people in the archaeological community. We'd both known about this talk for weeks and I put our argument down to my stress and his nerves, and so I kept my promise to him. That I'd go sit in the lecture hall for moral support, only by the time I arrived there were only a few seats left at the back of the hall. He didn't know I was there and I spent the next hour and a half listening to him berate my theories and work, I watched him kill my career, and that's what he did. After my public humiliation Daniel made no attempt to apologise to me and no one in the archaeological community would have anything to do with me or my work. Ever since I've been struggling to get jobs in this country, I've spent year's back out in Egypt working as a lackey and making a name for myself again. Point five, it's been 10 years, not just a couple. I refuse to give him a chance to do this to me again"

"Daniel's not going to do that, he's not like that." Now he knew why Daniel had been so reluctant to talk about what was going on with Faith.

"Colonel, when Daniel did this to me the first time, he supposedly loved me, he'd asked me to marry him. If he hated me that much to do it to me then, I'm not going to trust him now."

Colonel O'Neill sat in a silenced state of shock as Faith excused herself to answer the door, leaving him to try and find a worthy response.

"Hey. God, is that the time all ready?" He could hear her speak after the door creaked open.

"Yeah, lose track?" A deep voice asked in return.

New boyfriend maybe?Jack asked himself.

Faith and the arrival suddenly appeared in the front room where Jack was sat and soon felt decidedly uncomfortable after noting the company's appearance. The black man was probably in his early thirties, tall, way over six-foot and broadly built with large muscles. He kinda reminded him of Teal'c, without the gold tattoo.

"Colonel, this a good friend of mine, Barney. Barn, this is Colonel O'Neill, I haven't quite got round to hearing him out yet."

"Hi." Barney seemed friendly enough but had no interest in Jack, so turned to Faith.

"Just to let you know, she wants to stay the night with me and Eddie."

"You're kidding. God, I really don't need a battle with her tonight."

"It's okay. Eddie's already said it's fine, you know he loves having her round."

"Look, it's okay if it's too much. I can play big bad and say no."

"And I told you it's okay. I heard about your all-nighter at the Uni, get a good night's sleep."

"Okay. You wanna go tell her."

Before Barney or Faith could turn to leave a dervish of a child came running into the room, after hearing all the conversation, and grabbed a hold of Faith with such force, she knocked her backwards onto the couch. The first thing Jack noted about her was that she was bald and carried a cap in her hand. Despite being winded, Faith managed to say.

"Hi sweetie."

"Is it okay Mom?"

"Sure honey. Go upstairs and get your things. Don't forget you have school tomorrow."

"Okay." The energy filled ten-year-old answered as she ran up the stairs.

Faith turned back to Barney. "You sure about this."

"Stop fussin'. She's gonna be fine."

"Okay, but one condition."

"What."

"Tomorrow, I don't want to hear any stories about Eddie, a bottle of margarita, and singing Shirley Bassey on a table."

"You heard about that?"

"In great detail."

"I'm ready mom." The little girl was stood in the doorway with a backpack hanging from one shoulder.

"That was quick. You got your toothbrush."

The little girl nodded.

"Come here then."

The girl did as she was told and embraced Faith in a tight and affectionate hug. "Love you mom."

"Love you too sweetie."

"See you tomorrow after school."

"Yep." And with that the little girl took Barneys hand and let him lead her out asking him as they headed out of the door. "Does mom have a new boyfriend she's not telling me about?"

Faith also heard it and called out after them. "No I do not!"

Returning to the front room Faith apologised. "I'm sorry Colonel O'Neill. I'm sure you didn't come here to listen to half my life story and meet the family."

"Mom?" He questioned. As she had entered the room he had studied her, she was thin, tall, with tanned olive skin, deep brown eyes and hair that was almost black and didn't look a day over 25. Though he could see the resemblance's between the little girl and her, they had the same facial features, he couldn't believe she was a parent to a child of that age.

"Yes. I'm a single parent to a ten year old girl called Athena."Might as well sum it all up.

"Athena?"

"Greek Goddess of love. Somehow Hathor from Egyptian mythology sounded wrong."

Jack mentally shuddered. Hathor, that was a name he never wanted to hear again.

"Ten?" It suddenly clicked. Ten years since she and Daniel split, ten-year-old girl. Now he knew why the little girl's brilliant blue eyes had struck him as familiar.

"Yes Colonel. She's ten, and let me assure you I'm not one to sleep around."

"Does Danny know?"

"He's always know. He's just never wanted to be a big part of her life while I hate him so much. She's a very intelligent little girl and she understands. She holds nothing against him, I've brought her up not to."

"What's with the..." Jack trailed off as he motioned to his head full of grey hair.

"She's just finished a course of Chemotherapy. She has cancer, luckily it looks like it may go into remission now, but we're not giving it any chance to get worse."

"Hey, I'm sorry-"

"Most people are, but they don't have to be. We do fine. She understands what's going on and we deal with it."

"Oh, okay."

Faith looked at her watch, nearly 9 pm, the Colonel had been there nearly an hour, a distinct pang of guilt hit her. She couldn't not listen to what he had to say, not after that; she didn't have to agree to anything. Just listen. "Colonel, I really should hear you out now. I've kept you here long enough. I'm sure you've got far better things to do than spend the evening listening to me."

"Ah, it's no big deal. Just answer me one question before I explain."

"Sure."

"How old are you?"

"35, same age as Daniel, why?"

"You just don't look old enough to have a ten year old kid."

"Thanks. Is this going to take you long, because if it is, do you want a coffee?"

"No, and no thank you."

"Okay. So what is it that's got the Air Force and Daniel so desperate for my attention."

"I can't say, it's a very big government secret. But what I can tell you is, we've found a temple and it's got a lot of different languages written on the walls. Daniel wants to translate them, but he doesn't have enough time to do it himself, he's recommended you to help him. You're going to get paid for this, but you're going to have to spend a week away, and you're kid can't come with you."

Faith sat and thought about it.

"I'm owed a weeks vacation. I guess I could do with the money."

No. You desperately need the money.

Jack nodded, she was thinking out loud. "You know, there can't be any fights with Daniel."

"I'm a big girl Colonel, I think I can be civil to him for one week of my life."

"Good. Does this mean you're saying yes."

"It sounds like a pretty big opportunity. I'm not going to miss this because of Daniel."

I can take a week working with him. I mean, I can ignore him for the best part. Can't I?

Jack drove along the deserted freeway that led up to the Cheyenne Mountain complex, glancing over at Faith every so often. She was fast asleep. Jack found himself silently empathising with workaholic who could barley keep her eyes open, even after trying out of politeness. After she had agreed to work on the temple translation, she had arranged for Barney to keep Athena for the whole week, said goodbye to her over the phone, grabbed some things and left. They were now heading up to the base so that all the forms could be filled in, all the explaining could be done and she would be ready to leave the next morning. The rest of SG-1 had left for PX2 983 at 0800 hours that morning, when Daniel had returned to the base without Faith, and Jack was going to join them with her the same time the next day.

Barely three seconds after he had checked on her, Jack found himself looking back at Faith, there was defiantly something enchanting about her and her quirky personality. Despite appearing to be very scatter brained and almost ditzy, she had a sharp whit, fire and intelligence that Jack found himself highly attracted to.

God Daniel! Why did you let this one get away?

Jack turned himself back to the road and focused his attention back onto the task of driving.

Snap out of it Jack! God, she's a single mother and Daniel's ex. Don't even let yourself go there!

It's not worth it! She can't be worth it. Think of Daniel. Your friend.

Though she is really cute, and funny, and intelligent, and good looking, and when she's not angry, probably a whole lot of other good things.

But she has a kid. You can't do that again. Not kids. Not after Charlie.

And notDaniel's kid!Dammit Daniel, after all we've been through why the hell didn't you tell me! Why did you think you couldn't trust me?

When Faith awoke she was lying on a very uncomfortable bed in a dark and empty room, sitting up she noticed that someone was sat at a desk in the corner.

How the hell did I get here?

Upon hearing the movement, the figure at the desk turned around and she realised it was Colonel O'Neill. "Colonel?"

"Hey, thought you weren't gonna wake up."

"Where am I?"

"The base, inside Cheyenne Mountain."

"The base."

"Yeah, you fell asleep in the car, don't you remember coming inside? I woke you up."

Faith shook her head, it all went blank after they left her house.

"What's the time?"

"0100."

"That's not bad considering I've just worked a 39 hour day."

"Generals gone home. Catch some sleep and we can sign the forms in the morning."

Faith nodded. "But why are you in here?"

"Someone has to keep an eye on you."

"So, you're just gonna sit there all night?"

"No." He said putting his pen down. "Now I've finished my paper work, I'm gonna get some sleep."

"Okay." She watched him climb up onto the bunk above hers.

"Goodnight Colonel."

"'Night Dr Hudson."

"Colonel."

"Call me Jack."

"Jack."

"Yeah?"

"Call me Faith."

Someone has to keep an eye on me?

Hehas to keep an eye on me. Is that by choice or regulation?

God I hope it's by choice!

NO! Stop that this minute Faith Eliza Hudson! The guy is old enough to be your father, well not quite, but it's close enough. Plus you hardly know him; he could be a complete asshole for all you know.

Faith rolled over and made an attempt to sleep as the less reasonable half of her psyche argued back at the half that used logic.

Well, your life story and the fact you have a kid hasn't scared him off yet. Plus, who ever said age matters? He has a cute smile, and an even nicer butt!

That morning passed quickly for Faith, after being awoken by Colonel O'Neill she was ushered out of the room and towards the briefing room. Colonel O'Neill informed her that the General was waiting, as he had let her sleep for much longer than she was supposed to. As they reached the briefing room, she was sat down at a large table, her chair facing large metal blast doors and opposite the Colonel. Who she noted was now dressed in greens, not full military fatigues, unlike the General who was in full dress blues, minus the jacket.

After being properly introduced to General Hammond, the papers that swore her to secrecy were signed, her quickly scanning them before asking for a pen. They were similar to ones she had signed before, about keeping the contents of certain digs secret. After she became legally bound to keep all that she was about to find out secret, the explanations began. The Stargate, Daniel's part in it, the teams, the missions, the threats, the Goa'uld and finally the fact the temple wasn't on earth. The blast doors were opened and she had her first look at the Stargate then they told her she had to go through it at 0800.

Both General Hammond and Colonel O'Neill sat staring at Faith and her lack of response to the knowledge of the gate; she just sat there taking in all the information Hammond divulged.

"Dr Hudson, is everything okay?" Hammond asked.

Faith nodded. "Fine."

"Fine?" Jack questioned in disbelief.

"Yeah, Fine. Why? Shouldn't it be?"

"No, not at all Dr Hudson." Hammond answered with Jack cutting in.

"You're just kinda takin' this a little too well."

"What's there not to get. The proofs right in front of me." She answered waving a hand in the direction of the Stargate. "If you just came up to me on streets and said it, I might have a few reservations, but there it is. I can't argue with the two stories of metal that's sat over there."

"Well, it is nice not to have someone look at you like you should be committed to mental health once in a while." Jack joked.

"Nice to know I'm of some use." Faith quipped back.

"Now, Colonel. About this mornings return mission to PX2 983."

"Yes Sir, we're scheduled to meet Carter, Teal'c and Daniel at the gate at 0800."

"Yes, I'm aware Colonel O'Neill. Due to unforeseeable circumstances it will be only you and Dr Hudson working on PX2 983."

"Just us two."

"Yes Colonel, in an ideal world I would assign another SG team to assist you, but they are all off world or indisposed."

"What about the rest of SG-1, they're supposed to be there already?"

"And they were Colonel, until 2100 last night when they were recalled to assist SG-5 who have are being held by the people of P3R 726, which they are unable to communicate with. Dr Jackson is in negotiations with the high council and should be returning to PX2 983 with the rest of SG-1 tomorrow morning. In the mean time, he has left instructions for Dr Hudson, regarding the temple, so that translation may continue, even in his absence."

"Sweet."

"Any questions?"

Silence.

"Good. Dismissed."

As they stood to leave Hammond added.

"And Colonel."

"Yes Sir."

"Arrange some fatigues for Dr Hudson."

"Yes Sir."

"That'll be all. I'll see you both in the gate room. 0800."

"Sir."

Colonel O'Neill led Faith around the facility, picking up some military fatigues from the laundry for both of them before heading towards the locker and shower room. Giving her, her bag he informed her that she had 15 minutes to shower and change, after that female locker time ended and it was the men's turn. Nodding she headed inside and dived under a shower to get herself clean for the first time in far too long. After showering she quickly dried in the towel the Colonel had supplied her with, fresh from the laundry also, smelling of the men's shower gel she had found lying around in the showers.

If the owner hadn't wanted it to be used, they shouldn't have just left it lying around.

She pulled on the fatigues that were slightly too big for her, stuffing her clothes into her bag and pulling out a brush, brushed her hair and plaited it into two pigtails. Looking down at her everything-proof watch, she realised her 15 minutes were up. As if on cue there was a knocking on the door.

"Yes."

"You finished in there?" It was Colonel O'Neill.

"Sure, come in."

"What's up? You look kinda lost."

"I'm not sure where to put this." Faith informed him, holding up her backpack for him to see.

Colonel O'Neill looked around; there wasn't anywhere safe to put it.

"Here." He said leaning across her to put the combination into his locker. Breathing in his smell as he did so, Faith couldn't help but think it was familiar, then it dawned on her that it was the men's shower gel she had used. Remembering that the Colonel was already dressed and freshly showered when he had woken her up, it clicked that he must of left it in there by accident. She hoped he didn't notice how she smelled.

"What?" She asked snapping back to reality.

"You can put your stuff in here." He was offering her half of his locker.

"Thanks." She accepted graciously and put her stuff inside quickly.

Noticing the absence of his shower gel, he asked her. "Did you see any shower gel around here?"

"Yeah, it's on the bench there."

"Right." He said picking it up and joked. "Love the pigtails, Pippy."

"Thanks. I'll get out of your way. And don't call me Pippy." Faith announced, feeling decided uncomfortable as she moved past the Colonel who said in her ear as she went past.

"Don't worry. It smells better on you anyway."

Blushing she left.

Jack looked over at Faith who looked decidedly nervous, not that he blamed her, he'd been nervous too the first time he'd seen the event horizon explode into life. They were stood in the gate room, ready to leave as he watched her study the blue liquid that filled the Stargate, for several minutes with complete fascination, before asking her.

"You ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

"Okay, off we go then." He announced before heading up the ramp, stopping almost directly in front of the liquid Naquada.

"Colonel?"

"Okay, before you do this, I just gotta warn ya'."

"Warn me about what?"

"Gate travel's kinda...odd."

"Colonel, we're travelling at over two times the speed of light, of course it's gonna feel funny."

"Smart ass." He muttered before saying. "I know, but I'm just warning you, it's not gonna be very pleasant, okay."

"Then thank you for the warning."

He could tell from the tone of her voice that she was being genuine.

"That's okay. Ready?"

Faith nodded.

Without giving any warning Jack linked his free arm around Faiths right arm, that hung by her side and walked into the Naquada, pulling her in with him, and waited for the familiar sensation to hit him.

Stepping out of the gate on PX2 982 Jack let go of Faith, who now looked nauseous rather than anything else, after her first attempt at gate travel. He knew that going through the gate for the first time wasn't very pleasant, and took a lot of getting used to. As soon as she moved to walk down the stone steps and away from the gate Jack could tell her legs were about to give way. Reacting at a speed he didn't know he was capable of, he was stood in front of her and had his arms around her as she collapsed against him.

Holding closely, and probably more tightly than he should be, he asked. "You okay?"

Faith nodded. "Yeah, that just left me a little...unsteady."

Helping her to stand again, Jack kept a hold of her shoulders until he was sure that she wasn't going to collapse again.

"You sure you gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Like I said, that just left me a little, funny. Thanks." She replied smiling shyly.

"Ah, it's nothing." Jack stood staring into Faith's eyes for what seemed like eternity, with her breaking the moment, he could tell he'd made her feel uncomfortable.

"So this is PX2 983?"

"Yup."

Faith looked out at the scene that greeted them from the gate; the area around the stone base for the Stargate was a grassy savannah, the overgrown grass, the only plant life in sight. Not far from the gate, the grassland gave way to a sandy dessert, which stretched all the way to the horizon. The large stone temple blended into the sandy background in its location, a 15 minute walk from the gate.

Picking up the remote for the MALP Jack studied Faith as her eyes lit up, studying the scenery and he could have swore he heard her mutter 'just like home'. Activating the MALP, so that they could take it with them and receive any radio messages Hammond decided to send, he asked.

"Ready to go."

"Sure." Faith replied, with the widest smile he had seen on her face since he had first met her.

"Okay then, kids." He said out of habit and him, Faith and the MALP began the walk towards the temple, with the FRED carrying the supply of water behind them.

As Jack and Faith became within metres of the temple, Jack observed Faith become as excited as a small child on Christmas morning. Dropping the bag she carried on her back and running up to the entrance to study the symbols on the outside. As she slowly made his way over to her, he could hear her begin to speak so fast that words only came out in a mixed up jumble. Each syllable became the next before they could register as she tried to get out as many facts, pieces of information and questions as possible.

Jeez, she's worse than Daniel, just like a kid in a toy store!

Walking over to her, he took a hold of her shoulders and told her calmly.

"Deep breath. Speak slowly. You're worse than Daniel was."

Faith stopped speaking and nodded before obeying his instructions.

"This is amazing!"

"I think I got that part." He replied sarcastically, but Faith was far to wrapped up in the temple to even notice and think up a retort.

"This is Latin."

Jack watched Faith as she studied the writing that was carved into two pillars that stood by the entrance to the temple, her fingers tracing each letter as her eyes darted around behind her silver glasses. He recognised the look, he'd often seen it on Daniel; she was deep in thought, her mind processing hundreds of ideas and possibilities at once.

"All those who seek knowledge will find it at the centre within."

"Excuse me?"

"It's what it says. All the way round." Her eyes traced the same sentence up the two pillars and to above the door.

"I knew that." Jack said, once again using sarcasm that Faith didn't notice or acknowledge as he took a drink out of his canteen.

"What made Daniel say this was a temple?"

"Something about an altar inside. You wanna drink?"

Faith nodded and took the canteen from him, drinking from it as she headed inside. "Well that's completely unsubstantiated."

"What?" Jack asked following her into the temple.

He watched Faith walk around the inside of the temple, which was completely bare apart from the altar, which stood in the centre of the large stone room. All four walls of which were covered in different writings and languages, she studied each wall for a few seconds before moving on to the next.

"There's no evidence that this is a temple, the altar could be used for anything, if it is an altar. You should never jump to these kinds of conclusions without any evidence. Jesus Daniel has got sloppy since working at the SGC!"

"It was only a guess. What do you think this is?"

She wrinkled up her nose in thought. "I dunno. Yet."

Jack raised an eyebrow critically.

Don't knock other's theories when you don't have one of your own.

It was a lesson he knew all to well.

"I have until tomorrow to prove one of my own theories Colonel, and believe me, I will."

The rest of the day continued to pass in a blur for Faith and only at 2200 did she have time to sit down and reflect on what had happened that day. Colonel O'Neill had decided they'd sleep inside the temple, as it was a solid source of shelter, but had built a fire outside to fight off the dessert cold.

Faith knew Colonel O'Neill had been more than patient with her throughout the day, she had refused to leave the 'temple' all day, scribbling down what each wall meant and trying to decipher it's cryptic meaning. She was slowly finding that each wall read the same but in different languages, but continued to work through them in an attempt to find anything that would help it make sense.

Despite being surrounded by books she had brought on the FRED and shouting curse words at him in sheer frustration, Colonel O'Neill had continued to look after her. Making sure that she drank plenty of water, by practically forcing it down her throat and making her take several brakes by stealing her glasses off her nose, which she could barely see without. Despite being mad beyond words at him, and swearing and cursing his name in practically every language she knew, she was grateful. She knew she didn't take care of herself when she was working, she didn't eat, she didn't drink and she didn't take breaks. He'd made her do two of the three, quite an achievement she thought, considering her usual stubbornness.

Now the sun had long since set, Faith was ignoring the almost constant grumbling of her stomach to try and continue working in the light that the flame torches around the room provided. She thought she could get another hours work done before her body completely shut down, but as Colonel O'Neill entered the temple once again, he had other ideas.

"You gonna finish up?"

"No, not yet. I want to finish this wall."

"You need to eat something, I know MRE's aren't great but you've got a week of them."

"I'll be fine."

"Come on."

Faith wasn't sure if it was an order or a request, either way she decided that she wasn't going to go, so continued work, expecting him to leave. Before she knew what was happening the Colonel had his arms around her and lifted her off the ground, putting her over his shoulder. Faith cursed loudly in her native tongue of Arabic as Colonel O'Neill carried her from the temple and sat her down on the sand in front of the fire.

"Stay." He ordered her firmly.

"Alright, alright. I'm not going anywhere."

"Good. And I'm not a macho bastard."

Faith raised an eyebrow questioningly. "You speak Arabic?"

"Yes."He replied in the first language Faith learnt, the national language of her home. Of Egypt.

"How do you know Arabic?"

"I spent four months in Iraq."He looked away; the memory of Iraq still haunted him.

Faith saw that there was something about the subject that caused him pain, so didn't pursue the subject. "I won't pry."

Jack looked up at her and handed her, her MRE, a non-verbal thank you passing from him to her.

"Thanks."

"You won't say that when you try it." Jack replied looking down at his MRE in disgust.

"No, for today."

"Today?"

"Yeah, for looking out for me. For threatening to pin me to ground and pour water down my throat. For stealing my glasses so that I'd take a break and for being a macho bastard and carrying me out of there."

"Ah, it's nothing. I have to do the same for Danny."

"We fanatical types are all the same." She joked, smiling warmly, despite the mentioning of Daniel's name.

"So, have you been following Danny-boys instructions?"

"Hell no! I looked over what he did then made a practical decision over what I should do."

"Which would be?"

"I'm not quite sure, I'm sure I'll have worked it out by the time they get here."

Jack laughed.

He looks nice when he laughs; he wears a smile much more nicely than the look of pain he had earlier. At least it's gone.

He looks good. Very good in all that military gear, don't go much for the gun though.

Wonder if he's married? Can't see a ring, but that says nothing.

"You okay?"

"Sorry, what was that?"

"You okay, you drifted off there for a minute."

"Fine, sorry. I was just thinking."

"Anything interesting?"

"Not really." She lied. Then it struck her like a lightening bolt, the one thing that had been resting in the back of her mind and plaguing her for the last few days.

The symbol.

Leaping up she ran over to her bag and pulled out the sheets of paper she had been working on in the University labs and scanned them quickly. Casting her eyes over the other pieces of paper, she knew she'd got it. The missing word that had been annoying her was so simple, it wasinterest.

Don't forget to thank Colonel O'Neill for that.

Jack watched Faith as she scrambled over to her bag, nearly tripping over her own feet to pull out a few pieces of paper, look at them, write something on one then look triumphant. She returned to her seat opposite him, on the other side of the fire with a pleased look on her face.

"What was that all about."

"Just a personnel project."

"Personal project?" Why the hell had she brought it off world with her?

"Yeah, there was this one little word that was causing me problems, I just figured it out."

"Oh, right."

The conversation ended there and they found themselves eating the remainders of their MRE's in silence. It was Faith who broke it, throwing down the empty MRE packet in revulsion.

"Well, that was disgusting on a level I never knew existed. And I've eaten crickets!"

Jack found himself laughing at Faith once again.

How does she do it? What is it about her that makes me so relaxed? That makes me let my guard down.

"As in bugs?"

"Yeah, in some cultures they're considered delicacies."

"Nice." He replied sarcastically.

"Can't argue with thousands of years worth of culture."

"As I'm sure Daniel will tell you, I can."

"Not one for embracing tradition, Colonel?"

"Not really."

"I can see we're heading down a road that's gonna end in an argument, maybe we should leave this subject alone?"

"What, scared you're gonna lose?"

"I never lose Colonel."

"I told you, call me Jack."

"Changing the subject are we? Now who's scared they're gonna lose?"

Faith looked at him across the fire, a challenging smile playing across her lips.

Jack didn't want to admit defeat, but he also didn't want to get into this argument, he'd had it with Daniel far too many times and it always ended in disaster.

He was to calm for disaster.

"No I'm not scared to lose, I'm saving you embarrassment." He paused. "So, you've been lots 'a places?"

Faith nodded. "I've seen half the world."

"What about the other half?"

"Having a ten year old girl makes it very difficult. The only place I've been since having Athena is back home."

"Back home?"

"Egypt. Here really reminds me of it actually."

"That's where you call home? Egypt not Colorado?"

"No. I was born in Egypt, I grew up there, it's the place where I spent the first 15 years of my life. I can't call it anything but home."

"You were born out there?" This was his chance to learn more about her; Jack wasn't going to turn it down.

Faith nodded. "My dad was working on a dig just outside of Cairo, my mother was the translator for the non-Arabic-speakers, and you know the story. They meet, they fall in love and when it was time for my dad to go back to America with the team, he decided not to. So he stayed in Egypt, learnt how to speak Arabic and then along came my brother, me and then my sister. My dad, my sister and me moved to Colorado when my mother died, my brother stayed out there."

"You go back?"

"As often as I can. After Daniel publicly humiliated me, along with the fact I was pregnant, I couldn't get any work. After I had Athena I moved back to Egypt and worked out there on digs and did some translating work, anything to pull in some money. Then when Athena was about 7 she got sick and they diagnosed it as Cancer, I came straight back over here. I mean, we both love our home country, but medical care over there could be better. A lot better. I wasn't willing to take the chance, not over her life."

"What does she think?"

"She's like me, Egypt is her home. It's where she grew up; Arabic is her first language, like it is mine. But she is way more intelligent than I'll ever be and defiantly wiser, she's learned by my mistakes in life. She understands what's wrong with her, her treatment and the reasons why we left Egypt, she 10 going on 45."

"She looks like you."

"She has Daniel's eyes. When her hair grows back she's gonna break hearts."

"She is?"

"Oh yeah, she's just got that thing about her. She drives the boy next door crazy."

"I bet she does." Jack replied laughing.

But do you know you're driving me crazy?

When their laughter subsided Faith looked over at Jack and asked.

"So Colonel, sorry. Jack. You're in the Air Force, you must have seen your fair share of the world."

"Yeah." The answer was one word, sharp and closed, Faith could see that he was willing to discuss her, but that was as far as it went, at least consciously.What the hell are you so afraid of?

"Tell me where to stick it if you want, but why are you so closed up?"

"Closed up?" Faith noted a tone of what she hoped was disbelief in his voice.

"Yeah. I just sat here and told you everything there is to know about my life, that you haven't already heard and I ask one question about you and out come the defences."

"Defences?"

"You know what I mean. Talk about building a brick wall around yourself. What is there in the statement, you must have seen your fair share of the world, that brings forward such a horrific part of your past?"

"I was in Black Ops. I've seen the world through midnight drops and raids."

"Black Ops?"

"Yeah, it's-"

"I know what Black Ops is Jack. My younger sister died working for Black Ops three years ago."

"I'm sorry."

"So am I."

God, I can't believe I just told him that. I don't tell anybody that! Why do I feel like I can trust this man with anything I tell him, I barely know him yet I feel like I've known him for a lifetime.

"So Jack. Is asking if you have a family going to send up those walls again?"

"Yeah."

At least he's being honest.

"I won't ask then."

"I used to have a family. Not any more." Jack then got up and began to walk away from the fire.

"Shit." Faith cursed, jumping to her feet and kicking off her boots so she could catch up with him. Having lived in a dessert for nearly half of her life, she was far more quick footed on the sand than Jack and caught up with him before he ventured to far. Still, where they stood was away from the heat of the fire and she shivered in the cool air, the sand beneath her feet cold and chilling her toes.

"Jack." She said softly, placing her hand on his arm before he could push past her and continue his walk into the night. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"No, you had a right to ask."

"No I didn't. I never said this was quid pro quo."

What is it with you? Why do you always pick the one's with the emotional problems?

"You don't have to tell me a thing. It's your decision and I respect that."

"I don't talk about myself for a reason Faith. It's not the kind of past you want to hear or I want to remember."

"Are you not listening to what I'm saying. You don't have to tell me."

"I do."

"Why?"

"Because of everything you told me, about Daniel, Athena, you."

"I told you because in some weird way, those are facts that you needed to know, well some of them anyway. I'll listen if you need me to but, I don't need to know and if it helps I'll say I don't want to know. Ok?"

"No, it's not."

I'm gonna tell her. It was this unwillingness to talk that pulled me and Sara apart. I'm not going to ruin the chance I have here by doing the same.

You've got to drop those barriers some time Jack.

At least you know you can trust her.

At least you know she's genuine.

"I used to have a wife, called Sara, we're divorced now."

Jack looked at Faith in the light provided by the planets two moons, her face remained unchanged and ready to listen to whatever he had to say.

"When I was in Black Ops I couldn't tell her anything, I had to lie about where I'd been, what I'd done, everything. Then in the gulf war, I was part of an incursion that went wrong, I spent 4 months rotting in an Iraqi jail. When I came back I didn't tell her what happened, I thought it'd upset her. I thought I was doing the right thing. Then our son Charlie died. He shot himself with my gun, in our room. That was five years ago. We split up just after that, the gap between us had gotten so wide, and I just shut her out. I blamed myself, I still do, but Daniel helped me out. He made me see I could still make something of my life again. But it was too late for me and Sara."

The facts just poured out of Jacks mouth like a river he was unable to control, once the first words had come out there had been no going back. He couldn't believe how good it felt to have told someone, to have been able to let down his emotional walls and explain. But the relief that came from his freedom of words didn't mask the ache of the pain that came with the memories of Sara, Charlie and the life he'd lost.

Jack felt Faiths fingers slide around his hand and give it a gentle and reassuring squeeze as she smiled warmly at him. Before he knew what she was doing, Faith slipped her arm around Jacks neck and pulled his head down to rest on her shoulder. She gently moved her hand up and down his back, as though she was soothing a small child, as he let his arms slide around her and hold her tightly. Grateful for the genuine support she offered, he stood holing her for what seemed like eternity, with her only occasionally whispering in his ear.

"It's okay."

"Thank you."

"It's alright."

"You didn't have to listen."

"No I didn't. But I chose to."

"Thank you."

"Like I said, it's okay. It sometimes helps to get things out."

Jack realised that Faith's body was shaking beneath his in the bitter cold of the dessert night. Releasing her he spoke, his voice no longer a whisper.

"You're shaking."

"The sand's cold."

He looked down at her feet; she was stood in the freezing cold sand, barefoot.

"Let's get back to the fire."

Sitting back down in front of the fire, Jack looked across at Faith.

"About just now-"

"It won't go any further."

"Oh, okay. Good. I mean, thanks."

"Hey, that's okay. I totally understand."

Jack said nothing, remaining silent.

"So, you wanna tell me about the Goa'uld?"

"Why do you wanna know about those slimey snake asses for?"

"The 'temple' talks about them, plus with the whole connection to earth...and the fact that General Hammond didn't explain it all to well. I guess I wanna just feel a little more well informed."

"Okay, so where do I start?"

"At the beginning?"

"Okay, so Ra..."

So Jack and Faith spent until the early hours of the morning talking about the Goa'uld, their relation to Earth and Egyptian history and their clashes with SG-1. Then the conversation turned to the Stargate and Jack explained he only knew how to use it, not how it actually worked. To Jacks surprise, Faith then asked him to teach her how to dial earth, agreeing they headed back to the gate and the DHD. Upon arriving at the gate, Jack gave a demonstration on how to dial and radioed the base explaining to the night shift what was happening. Then he let Faith try, and she picked it up quickly with little help. Heading back towards the temple they talked about some of the non-Goa'uld worlds he'd been to and what were the best and strangest. Only noticing the time when they arrived back and the sun was beginning to rise up from the horizon, flooding the area with warm sunlight.

After they had eaten an MRE that claimed it was breakfast, Jack suggested that Faith stay inside the temple to get some sleep while he walked back to the gate to meet the rest of SG-1. Point Blank refusing to sleep, Faith told him she would stay and continue to work on the translation, unless he wanted her to walk with him.

Jack contemplated the idea briefly and decided that it was a bad one, if Faith walked with him then there would be no one to keep an eye on their camp and supplies. Not that there was anyone around to steal them, but Jack had learnt a long time ago to be careful. That's why he decided he was going to leave Faith with his 9 mm sidearm.

Just in case. He told himself.Just in case.

Jack was just about to inform Faith of his decision, when the MALP buzzed into life, the camera on the side switching on and the familiar voice of General Hammond coming through the radio.

"Colonel O'Neill?"

Jack positioned himself in front of the camera and spoke into the microphone that was beside it.

"Yes Sir?"

"Colonel, I must inform you that SG-1 will not be arriving on PX2 983 today, as scheduled."

"Why the hell not?"

"Colonel!"

"Sorry Sir."

"Dr Jackson's negotiations with the people of P3R 726 are not going as well as planned. He doesn't believe that they will be finished until late this evening."

"So it's just me and Dr Hudson?"

"Yes Colonel. Do you think you can manage that?"

"Yes Sir."

"Good. Unless you hear otherwise you will meet the rest of SG-1 at the gate at 0800 tomorrow. Understood."

"Sir."

"Colonel, how are your supplies?"

"Okay Sir, there is only two of us."

"How is Dr Hudson?"

"Pretty much like Daniel, only female. All work and talking gibberish and no taking care of themselves."

"I trust that you will make sure Dr Hudson takes appropriate care of herself."

"Already doing so Sir."

"Good, and Colonel, the night staff informed me about your dialling attempts last night."

"About that, you know, Dr Hudson wanted to learn. For safety of course."

"Understood. Don't forget to warn her about the GDO."

"I won't Sir." He already had, but decided it was best not to say.

"Keep up the good work Colonel. We'll see you at the end of the week."

"Yes Sir."

"Hammond out."

As Jack returned to the area where Faith was sat on the sand, she looked up at him and asked.

"What was that about?"

"Oh, the rest of my team aren't arriving till tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? I thought they were coming today."

"They were, but the negotiations Daniel's in are dragging on a bit. They'll get here tomorrow morning."

"Okay. Well I'm gonna go work on the temple. Prove Daniel wrong and such likes."

"Sure, I'm gonna keep watch."

"Because of that damn sneaky sand, can't turn your back on it for a second." She quipped before walking up the steps and into the 'temple'.

Faith pulled the top off of her canteen and looked at her watch, 11 am, she was out of water and she was no closer to her goal than she had been when she started 4 hours ago. Standing up she shook the feeling back into her legs and made her way to the large doors that made up the only way in or out of the 'temple'. Wondering how Jack had been keeping himself amused, she found him sat at the bottom of the steps, hunched over, leaning his elbows on his knees.

"Jack?"

Faith looked down at him.

No response.

Stepping off the last step, she crouched down and looked at him, his eyes were closed under the rim of his baseball cap, and his features fully relaxed for the first time since they had met. Moving back, knowing the dangers of awaking someone with Black Ops training, she gently nudged him with her foot and said his name again, only louder.

"Jack!"

Snapping out of sleep and straight into military alertness, he swung his gun round and aimed it at the source. Faith.

She smiled. "You don't want to be asleep in the mid-day sun. Not unless you feel like blistering."

"Thanks."

"It's okay. It is my fault you got no sleep last night. And thinking how that sounds, I'm very glad that no one was here to witness that."

Jack laughed.

"You can come inside and sleep if you want. I don't mind. As long as you don't snore."

"The guys have never complained before."

"That tells me nothing. If you do, you have been warned. I can't work when there's snoring."

"I won't snore then."

"Good." She said holding her hand out to help him up.

"Thanks."

"Shh." Faith ordered, looking around her.

"What? Dr Hudson, what's wrong?"

Faith leapt into action, grabbing a hold of Jack's hand and dragging him over to the makeshift store area that sat in the shade of the temple. Grabbing her bag and as many containers of water as she could carry, she ordered him to do the same and not ask questions.

"Now what?" He asked.

Grabbing a hold of his hand again, Faith ran up the steps to the 'temple' as fast as her body would allow, almost pulling Jack along behind her. Once inside she pulled down the lever inside the door that set off the mechanisms to shut the large entrance doors to the 'temple'.

"You wanna tell me what thehellthat was about?"

"Shh!" She instructed again. Listening to the sounds outside as she counted in Arabic. Stopping when they could hear the wind pick up speed and swirl around the 'temple', sending waves of sand crashing into the sides of the 'temple'.

"Sandstorm." Faith informed Jack. "Living on dessert digs, you learn to pick up the warning signs, otherwise you haven't got a hope."

Faith could see Jack pacing around the cool and airy 'temple' out of the corner of her eye as she worked, and it was beginning to get annoying. The sandstorm had been going for several hours and Jack was becoming impatient, despite the fact that Faith had informed him that sandstorms can last for days.

"Could you stop that!"

"Was that a request?" He asked with a cheeky smile.

"No it wasn't."

"So it was an order." The smile got wider.

What the hell is he playing at?

"Yes it was. You're in the military, I don't think you have any problems with authority."

"So, you're taking authority?"

Is he flirting with you? Oh my God! He is, he's flirting with you!

Take control of the situation. Don't let him get to you. You've got a job to do.

"No Colonel O'Neill. I'm giving you a choice. Sit down and shut up or go outside and pace around to your hearts content, in the sandstorm!"

Jack held up his hands in mock defeat. Sitting down against the wall next to Faith he asked her.

"So, got any theories that'll put Daniel to shame?"

"No, not yet."

Jack raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"I just can't help but feel like I'm missing something essential." Faith was getting frustrated.

"So what have you got? What do the walls say?"

"In a nut's shell, they all say the same thing, just in different languages. The Goa'ulds are gods, the Goa'uld are all-powerful, we shall worship them only...yada, yada, yada. Then they all say the same thing as it does outside, all those who seek knowledge will find it at the centre within. What's that mean? I can't help feeling like this is some kind of test. But within what, I mean there's nothing here..." Faith trailed off, giving an exasperated sigh as she looked around the room.

"Wait a minute."

"What?"

"What if I've been going about this in totally the wrong way?"

"Wrong way?"

"Yeah. When it said 'centre within' I was thinking along the lines of within your mind, within your heart, because that's where a lot of cultures believe true knowledge comes from."

"But?"

"What if it's talking literally."

"Literally?"

"Yeah, what if it means the centre within here, within this room. What's in the centre here? The so called altar."

"You think that's it?"

"It has to be." Faith jumped up and ran to the centre of the room to study the bare stone altar that had no markings or decorations. Studying the rim of stone slab, Faith asked the Colonel to help her and together they removed the top layer of stone, to reveal what looked like a control panel.

Faith studied the panel, it had 15 square stone buttons that were centred around a red crystal, very much like the one on the Stargate DHD. Before Jack could stop her or even protest to what she was doing, she pushed one of the stone buttons down and touched the red crystal. Waiting for something to happen to the panel, Faith almost didn't notice the wall opposite her split into 5 stone sections, the central one folding backwards to reveal a flight of stone steps leading underground. Grabbing one of the burning torches from it's holder on the wall and ignoring Jack and the little voice in her head that told her not to, made her way down the steps.

Jack waited for almost an hour before Faith returned from where ever it was that she'd been. She had a massive grin across her face and Jack could tell she was just about ready to spout out a load of archaeological, know-it-all gibberish that he wouldn't be able to keep up with or understand.

"So?"

"Oh my God! It is amazing down there!"

"What exactly, is down there?"

"The steps lead you down, to what's basically an underground building. It's a massive room just like this one, filled with writing and information, I began to translate some of it and it's a giant history book for the Goa'uld."

"A what!?!"

"The room is like one single chapter of the Goa'uld history. Telling the reader of all the major events, just like an earth history book, only bigger and far more ornate."

"What's the point of this place?"

"From what I can tell, this is only a section in a very long chain. There are others out there and for each Goa'uld that wants to become a system lord, they must travel through all of these libraries studying the Goa'uld history and learning lessons from the mistakes of their ancestors."

"So this is like the school of how to be a system lord?"

"On it's own no, but as part of a whole, yes."

"So you're telling me that, that room holds all of the Goa'uld history."

"No. That room is only a tiny bit. I'm thinking that the other rooms make up the rest."

"Other rooms?"

"Yes. I only touched one of the stones; there are 14 more. Therefore there has to be 14 more rooms."

"And you want to open them and study them?" He already knew the answer.

"Yes."

"You've got till 1800, then it's MRE's and a good nights sleep. And that is an order."

"Yes Sir." Faith responded giving a sloppy salute before opening all the other rooms and heading down a different set of stairs.

"You're late." Jack barked at Faith as she returned from one of the Goa'uld history rooms.

Faith looked at her watch. "By 3 minutes! Cut mesomeslack."

"Ah, alright. This place gives me the creeps."

"But there's nothing here."

"You never know, one of those slimy snakes could walk through that door any minute. And who knows what's lurking down in those rooms."

"Well, your concern is appreciated, but there is nothing lurking down in those rooms and there is very little chance of a Goa'uld walking through those doors right now."

"Why the hell not? Those little buggers always turn up when you least expect it. And who said I was concerned?"

"Two reasons. 1. Outside there's a sandstorm, nothing could survive that, not even a Goa'uld. 2. I don't think a Goa'ulds been here for at least 3000 years, when Ra took over earth. And it sounded like you were concerned."

"I did not sound like I was concerned. And what do you mean, they've not been here since Ra ruled earth?"

"In what I've worked out as the last room, it states Ra's rule over the planet of the Tau'ri, i.e. earth. Then there's two whole blank walls, like it's supposed to be updated, but it isn't, and that's as far as the history goes. So you weren't concerned?"

"I didn't say I wasn't concerned. So you don't think the Goa'uld use these things any more."

"No, if they did the wall would continue to tell how Ra lost his rule over earth and so on, but it doesn't and there's no forwarding address. So you were concerned?"

"I didn't say I was concerned either. So, can you tell us were the Goa'uld came from and stuff like that, from what's down there?"

"No, I can't tell you how they originated, this temple is only a section of their history, from what I can tell, the last section to be produced. Like I said earlier, there are others out there, I just need to find the addresses. And you were either concerned or you weren't. You can't not be one or the other."

"It's my job to be concerned. And you and Daniel can look for the other addresses tomorrow when the rest of SG-1 gets here."

"Fine, we'll look for the address then, though I already have an idea where they might be. And now the truth is out. You're only concerned because you're being paid to be. Typical!"

"Hey, I'm not just concerned because I'm being paid to be. And I told you, no more work, jeez, you're worse than Daniel!"

"Fine then, I won't do any more work. And that's just what you said, you're paid to be concerned."

Before Jack could respond, the ground beneath them began to shake violently, in turn making the whole temple vibrate in time with the shaking earth.

"Earthquake." Jack shouted, grabbing Faiths hand and pulling her up. Worried that the temple might not be very structurally sound and could collapse in on them any minute he took Faith over to the doors.

Knowing what he was doing Faith stopped dead in her tracks.

"Come on, we have to get out of here." Jack shouted over the noise of the 'quake.

"No! We can't go outside! The sandstorm!"

"We can't stay in here."

"We have to. We can't go out there, we'll be killed."

"The Gate."

"It's to far, we'd never make it."

Jack looked torn, he knew there was only one way this decision could go, and he wasn't happy with it.

"Over there." He ordered, pointing to the corner of the temple that was closest to them. Taking a hold of her hand again he dragged her over there with him as the shaking got worse and pushed her into the corner. After making sure her back was flat against the stone as it would go, Jack put his arms flat along the stone either side of Faiths head and leaned forward, covering and protecting her body with his.

Faith could feel his breath against the side of neck and the less than rhythmic rise and falls of his chest against her own, as she tried to calm and slow her own erratic breathing. As the shaking slowly ended, they stood still pressed against each other awaiting a possible aftershock. Reading the unseen electricity that was passing between them, she spoke, not allowing her voice to go past a whisper.

"Do you think it's safe?"

"Yeah, I think so." His voice was also a whisper as he looked into her eyes and made no attempts to ease himself away from her. "But, there could be an after shock, so..."

"Be careful."

"Yeah, and if there is, get in the, the..."

"Corner."

"Yeah."

"Okay."

"Good."

"Do you think there will be?"

"What?"

"An after shock."

"I don't know."

They both stood in silence for what seemed like an eternity, and as Faith wrestled with her conscious over what she should or shouldn't do, Jack suddenly cupped her face in his hands, bringing his lips down onto hers in a soft, gentle kiss.Realising what it was he had just done and how many Air Force and moral protocols he had probably broken, pulled away from Faith, apologising immediately.

"Sorry."

Stepping away from the wall, almost following him she said before she even realised she had thought it. "Who said you had to be sorry."

Taking it as sign and ignoring everything his conscious told him, Jack strode back over to Faith and taking her in his arms, pushed her back up against the temple wall. Gently brushing his lips over hers several times before claiming them properly, he traced her lips with the tip of his tongue. Letting her tongue enter his mouth he smiled and pulled her closer, deepening the kiss as she gripped his shoulders tightly, unwilling to let him go.

Fighting the urges that begged them to go further, they pulled away from each other and as soon as their eyes met, they recoiled from each other. Realising what they had done, and what they could have done in the heat of the moment, Jack released Faith from his grip, who quickly distanced herself from him.

What the hell have I done? What the hell have we done?

We can't do this. We won't do this. You won't let yourself do this.

You donotfeel this way about him!

"I'm sorry." Jack instantly apologised.

"Oh God, so am I. I don't know what came over me."

Oh yes I do. Lust, animal passion, craving, desire, want, demand, hunger, sexual frustration...oh yeah, that's the one. That's hit the nail on the head. You want him bad!

"We probably shouldn't..."

"Ever do that again." Faith finished.

"Mention this to anybody." Jack corrected.

"That too. Not that we'd have any reason to."

"No, of course not."

"I mean, it was just the heat of the moment, right?"

"Right."

"So we're just gonna forget that happened."

"Yeah."

"Good."

Jack laid in his sleeping bag trying to get comfortable, just because he'd slept in unpleasant places more times than not, didn't mean he got used to it. Though deep down he knew it was his sub-conscious that was causing him the discomfort rather than the hard stone floor. His mind kept flying back to the earthquake, well technically, after the earthquake when he kissed Faith. Rather, Dr Hudson, as he had resolved to call her, despite her loud and violent protests. After they had resolved what they had done was just bad judgement and silly, mindless behaviour, they ate their cold MRE's and went to bed, talking like they had done earlier that day.

Ignoring their little and brief moment of passion.

Jack's mind argued with itself over the event that he almost didn't regret.

That must top the list of the most stupid things you've done this year Jack.

No it doesn't.

What, it's okay to make a fool of yourself by kissing a women who doesn't want you?

You didn't hear her say no. In fact, she said the opposite. And who stuck their tongue inyourmouth?

Shut up!

Ha, I'm right and you know it!

No, it was still reckless and irresponsible.

Just because you were scared she was gonna tell you piss of.

No, because it was stupid.

No, because you have feelings for her.

No I don't.

Yes you do, you can't deny it. I know what you think about her butt!

So it's nice. That doesn't mean I like her.

You can't deny it forever.

Yes I can. I can deny it and forget it. And that's final!

Little did Jack know, as he was wrestling with his sub-conscious Faith was doing exactly the same with hers. Coming to exactly the same resolve.

Those feelingscanandwillbe denied.

The remainder of SG-1, consisting of Dr Daniel Jackson and Teal'c being lead by Major Samantha Carter, stepped through the Stargate. It was 0600 and SG-1 had been ready to leave since returning from P3R 726 at 2230 the night before. Upon returning to earth, they had received word from Hammond that a violent sandstorm had begun on PX2 983 and an earthquake had also taken place and they had been so far unable to contact Colonel O'Neill or Dr Hudson. From that moment SG-1 had been waiting until the sandstorm stopped to begin the search for their CO and Dr Hudson.

Now the wind had dropped to a non-existent level, Hammond had cleared them for travel and they began the walk to the temple, reaching it at 0615. When they arrived they found the FRED, the MALP and some supplies lying around outside the temple but no sign of either of their missing persons.

"Daniel." Carter called out.

"Yeah, Sam?"

"Those doors weren't shut last time we were here, were they?"

"No, I don't think so. Why?"

"They're shut." Carter stated looking up at them through her sunglasses.

"You don't think-" Daniel began.

"It's possible."

"I believe that O'Neill and Dr Hudson are inside the temple." Teal'c said speaking both Carter and Daniel's thoughts.

"Can you open them from the outside?" Carter asked Daniel as they jogged up the steps.

"Uh, yeah. There's a lever somewhere around here. Ah, found it!" And with that Daniel pulled it down, and the large doors slowly opened to reveal both Colonel O'Neill and Dr Hudson asleep on the floor in their sleeping bags.

"Trust Jack." Daniel stated as they entered the temple. "We're panicking that he might be dead, and here he is. Asleep!"

"Yeah. Daniel, can you go wake them up and I'll got send a message to Hammond."

"Sure."

"And Daniel, tell them to get packed up."

"But Sam-" Daniel began to whine, he wanted to stay and work on the temple.

"Daniel, we're under direct orders to return immediately. We don't know when there could be another 'quake and how stable the temple is."

"Okay."

"You never know, Dr Hudson may have done more than you've given her credit for."

"Yeah."

And with that, Sam jogged back down the steps to send her message to Hammond. Daniel followed Sam's orders and carefully woke Faith and Jack, taking care not to get a black eye in the process, a frequent occurrence when he was waking Jack. Explaining the situation to Jack, they began to pack up what they had in the building and Daniel dug up the courage to ask Faith what she'd found.

"Run for cover." Jack quipped. "She's worse than you Danny-boy."

After giving Jack an evil glare, Faith launched into her explanation at a hundred miles per hour, in a way that Jack knew only Daniel would be able to understand. Daniel immediately began to pick hole in her theories and Faith only responded with determination, throwing more facts at him than he could handle. Admitting defeat, Daniel agreed to look at what she had done in more depth when they returned to the base.

As Sam entered the temple once more, another earthquake began, almost knocking her off of her feet, it was only the fact that Teal'c who was also stood in the entrance, grabbed her, that stopped her from falling. Jack then gave the order to move out and head back to the gate, the temple was showing signs of instability and could come down around them any minute.

Jogging away from the temple, that was slowly beginning to crumble, Faith stopped Jack and shouted over the noise of the earthquake.

"What about the addresses?"

"Forget them." He ordered.

"I know where they are."

"I said forget them. You can't go back."

"Yes I can. If I go now, I'll be fine."

"You are not going and that's an order."

"But think what you could do with the kind of knowledge you'd have. If you knew where they came from you could find a way to defeat them."

"Speculation. The answers no. You're not going to take this kind of risk!"

"Colonel, do you think I care what you say. I'm going back."

"No you're not." He replied, grabbing her arm.

"The longer you keep me here, the more dangerous it's going to be." Faith argued back, pulling her arm away from him.

Grabbing it back, he only said before letting it go. "Be careful. You've got 5 minutes then I go on."

"Thank you."

Faith knocked on the door lightly, hoping no one would be inside, a quite 'come in' from within the office confirmed that she would have to go in.

After she had left Colonel O'Neill, she had ran back inside the temple and found the addresses exactly where she had expected to, inside the control panel, hidden from view. After writing them down she had left the temple, before it began to break apart, and made her way back to the team who were waiting at the Stargate. They had all then travelled back to earth and after thanking Colonel O'Neill, she had made her way to Daniel's office so he could look over he research before the debriefing.

Slowly entering, Faith made her way over to Daniel's desk and put down all the work she had gathered.

"Oh, thanks." He said looking up from the book that had demanded his intention, instead of a shower in male locker room time.

"That's everything I did in the 'temple'. Everything's labelled, there's a sketch of the layout, notes on each wall, films and photos of it all, but you know how I work. Don't you?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Er, I'm going to be here the rest of the day if you want to discuss anything, or berate it all." She snapped harshly, before turning to leave.

"Faith wait." Daniel leapt up. "We need to talk, especially if we're going to work on this."

She looked at him, contemplating the idea, knowing there was sense behind what he was saying. Sitting down on his desk, she agreed.

"Okay."

"I'm sorry."

"So you damn well should be!" Faith snapped, then immediately apologised. "Sorry, I won't do that again."

"Well, that's kinda all I had to say. What more can I say."

"A lot Daniel, a whole lot. Like why."

"Why?"

"Why you did what you did to me Daniel."

"I don't know, I was just so mad at you and I can't even remember why!"

"I do. I told you that your theory about aliens building the Pyramids was a load of crap. I knew it would upset you, but I also knew that if you stood up and said it, you'd be disowned by the archaeological community. The truth be known, I didn't want to see you get hurt and lose everything that was important to you."

"But I didn't give that talk, not then at least. I was so mad I spent the whole time abusing you and your work."

"Did you even know I was there?"

"No. I didn't. But as soon as I got off the stage I knew what a mistake I'd made."

"Daniel, when did I ever break a promise to you?"

"I know, I just couldn't see you. I planned to tell you everything, apologise, do whatever I had to, to make it right."

"Daniel, you ruined everything that mattered to me. My work, and us. There was nothing you could have done to make it right."

"I got back and found all your things gone, and the ring on the table. I'd stopped on the way back, brought flowers, to apologise for what'd I said to your face. Then I knew you had been there and there was nothing I could do."

"Daniel, there wasn't anything you could have done. You ruined my career just as badly as you did your own by giving that damn talk. We may both know it's the truth, but them out there probably never will."

"Why are you doing this now? Talking to me again."

"Because, maybe, just maybe, you've redeemed yourself."

"I have?"

"Daniel, you're the one that's given me this opportunity, to see the gate, to travel through it. This counts for a lot."

"Am I forgiven?"

"Just about Daniel, but this will never be forgotten." She gave him a warm smile. "Am I?"

"What for?"

"Athena."

"I've stayed out of her life out of choice. You know why."

"Yeah, I guess I do. You're always welcome, you know that."

"I know that."

"Daniel, we'll never be the same, but we can be friends right?"

"Friends is good." He couldn't see himself with Faith again, not after all that had happened between them, and not after Sha're.

Faith leaned forward and gently kissed the top of his head. "I'm glad Daniel. I don't feel like being at war anymore. I'm gonna hit the showers, you want me to come back up so you can pick more holes in my 'library' theory."

"Sure." Daniel replied with a smile. She was right; it was good not to be at war anymore.

"See ya soon."

Daniel heard the knock at his office door, calling 'come in' without looking up from the notes that Faith had brought him, he wondered why he was suddenly so popular. Two visitors in a matter of minutes, that had to be a first.

"Hey Danny-boy." It was Jack.

"Oh, hi jack."

"We need to have a little talk."

"We do?"

"Yeah, we do." Jack replied, stealing the notes from under Daniel's nose and shoving them in a draw so that he could have his full attention.

"Hey, I was reading those."

"And you can read them later, after we've had our little talk."

"Why do I not like the sound of this Jack?"

"Daniel, why thehelldidn't you tell me you had a kid?" Jack almost exploded.

"That, how do you know about that?"

"Daniel, I had the honour of meeting the mini-tornado when I had to convince your ex to come to the base."

"Right. Jack, the mini-tornado does have a name."

"I know she has a name. Athena, goddess of something or other."

"Greek goddess of love."

"Yeah, that."

"How is she?"

"Bald, now stop avoiding the question. Why the hell didn't you tell me Daniel? After everything I've told you, after everything we've been through."

"Bald?"

"Yeah, the chemo-whatsit."

"Chemotherapy."

"Daniel."

"Yes Jack?"

"There's a question you haven't answered."

"Jack-"

"Daniel, I want an answer. Why didn't you tell me, or anyone for that matter?"

"Jack, do you remember when I first met you? When we were first friends?"

"Yeah Danny, I remember."

"You were suicidal Jack. You'd just lost your son; it was hardly the time to announce that I had a kid somewhere in Egypt. You'd probably of attacked me for being a bad father!"

"Daniel, there was a lot of time after that."

"Jack, I don't see Athena. For 7 years she was in Egypt, she doesn't know who I am. I ruined her mothers life, it doesn't make for good first impressions."

"Daniel, the kid has cancer for God's sake! Didn't that make you want to see her?" Jack was almost shouting, he couldn't understand Daniel.

"And I did. But Jack, I have never been her father, not in any sense of the word other than biological."

"Daniel, you could have changed that."

"No I couldn't Jack. Faith has hated me, on a level that I hope you will never know, for a long time and it's taken ten years and the Stargate to amend that fact. When Athena got sick I visited her and I explained why I haven't been around. Believe it or not Jack she understands and doesn't hold any contempt towards me. She understood that I couldn't be around Faith."

"Daniel, you could have told me."

"I know Jack. I didn't ever doubt that, but there never seemed any point. She's not a big part of my life; in fact she's barely a part of my life. There was never any reason to tell you guys."

"Daniel-"

"I know Jack, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. It's not that I don't trust you, I-"

"Just didn't see the point?"

"Yeah." Daniel paused. "Jack?"

"Yeah Danny?"

"Are we okay? I mean, are we still friends?"

"Of course we are Daniel, of course we are. But, before I go are there any other secrets lurking in your closet that you want to inform me about?"

Daniel shook his head. "That was pretty much my big secret Jack."

"See ya in the debriefing."

"Jack."

"Yeah?"

"You won't-?"

"No I won't tell anyone Daniel. But I suggest you tell the guys at some point."

"I will Jack, just not yet, okay?"

"Okay."

Faith wandered around the control room absently, she had returned to Daniel's office after showering, to find that Jack was in there and they were discussing her and Athena. Deciding that it was probably not the best time to go in and talk to Daniel she left, without them knowing she was ever there, and made her way to the only place she knew how to get to, bar the locker room.

Jumping as the off-world activation siren began, Faith watched the Stargate jump into life, the iris open and SG-3 return as scheduled. She Jumped again as she suddenly felt a body stood beside hers and a voice in her ear.

"What's it look like now you've been through?" It was Jack.

"Just the sight of it makes me nauseous."

Jack laughed. "You'll get used to it."

"Get used to it? I got the impression this was a one mission only deal."

"Hammond might just be impressed enough to give you a job."

"You think?"

"Not promising anything, but maybe."

"This place does pay a hell of a lot better than the Uni."

"It would mean you'd have to work with Daniel."

"I know. I talked to him earlier."

"You did?" Jack looked sceptical.

"Yeah, I think we're friends again. Or at least well on our way."

"So there might be little reunion?" Jack asked carefully, not wanting to sound to worried.

"Hell no! I have been there and done that with Daniel. I don't think I'll ever be going back there, to much has happened since."

"Oh, okay." He tried not to sound too relieved.

Yes!

"Colonel O'Neill. Someone on the phone asking for a Dr Hudson." An airman announced, walking over to Jack from his desk.

Jack gave Faith a questioning gaze, to which she replied with a shrug of her shoulders as he walked over and picked up the phone.

"This is Colonel O'Neill. Can I help you?"

"I need to speak to Dr Faith Hudson immediately, it's very urgent." Jack couldn't place the deep voice that he knew he recognised from somewhere.

"Who is this?"

"This is Barney Jacobs."

"Okay. Here she is." It was the tall black man he had seen at Faiths house the night they had met. Mouthing the identity of the caller to Faith, he handed her the phone.

"Barney? How did you get this number?"

"It took a lot of calling around."

"Okay, what's so urgent that you had to call me here?"

"It's Athena."

"Oh God! What's happened?" Her voice was filled with panic.

"Faith, she collapsed about an hour ago, I've been trying to reach you."

"Is she okay?"

"Faith, we're in the hospital. I think you should get down here now."

"Barney, what's going on? What's wrong? You have to tell me!"

She could here the phone beeping; he was out of money.

"Faith, I'm nearly outta money. Get down here, she's in her usual ward."

"Okay."

"And Faith."

"Yeah?"

"Hurry."

"Barney-" The line went dead.

Faith leaned against the wall, her eyes closed, but her mind working at a pace she barely knew was possible. Athena had collapsed, she was in the hospital, Barney wouldn't tell her over the phone, she had to hurry. It was bad!

She was aware of Jack's hands on her arms and him questioning her, and when she opened her eyes, she found that she was looking directly into his.

"It's Athena." She managed to say, nothing in her body was responding to her commands, despite knowing she had to leave, there and then.

"Athena, what about her?"

Faith was aware that all colour had drained from her face and she was probably causing a great deal of worry, but her body still wasn't responding.

"She's collapsed, they've taken her to the hospital, I have to go, I have to hurry."

As it all finished registering, her body decided that it would co-operate after all and her legs pushed her away from the wall, and carried her out of the control room at a fast run. Suddenly, Jacks arms were on her again, stopping her just before the elevator, pulling out of his grip she pushed the button and waited impatiently for it to arrive.

"Where are you going?" Jack asked.

"To the hospital, where do you think?"

"How do you plan on getting there?" Jack asked as they got in the elevator and Faith pushed the button for ground level.

"What?"

"How do you plan to get there? You don't have a car."

"Shit!" Faith cursed, leaning her head back against the metal elevator wall, he was right, she'd arrived in his jeep.

"I'll drive you."

"Really?"

"Sure."

"Thank you."

Faith ran through the hospital corridors, Jack following behind her wondering if she had any idea where she was going. Arriving at a nurse's station, the friendly looking nurse looked at Faith and recognising her said.

"Room 4C. The doctor's in there with her at the moment. You can speak to him as soon as he's finished."

Faith nodded and headed away from the nurse's station, down another corridor before reaching the room labelled 4C. Sat in the plastic chairs that were set outside the room was Barney and someone Jack didn't recognise. They both stood up and each in turn hugged Faith tightly, saying something Jack figured was supportive but couldn't quite make out. Faith introduced them, the unknown man was revealed as Barney's boyfriend called Eddie. Jack had to admit he didn't see Barney as the gay type, but didn't say anything.

Wonder if he's the Shirley Bassey singing Eddie?

"How long's the doctor been in there?" Faith asked, turning back to Barney.

"A while. He's running some tests at the moment, to tell us what's going on."

"What happened?"

"I don't know Faye. We just got a call from the school saying she'd collapsed and was in an ambulance on her way here."

"I should phone the school."

"Not now. It can wait till later."

"Have you seen her?"

"She was asking for you."

"How she looking?"

"She looks sick Faye."

"She always looks sick Barn, it's because she is." Faiths voice nearly broke there and then, she was close to completely breaking down and they all could see.

Barney pulled her into a tight embrace as she asked. "How's she holding up?"

"Like she always does. Teasing the doctor and asking if she can draw her own blood sample."

Faith gave a small laugh.

"She givin' 'em hell?"

"Defiantly."

"Look, you guys should go home."

"Hey, it's okay."

"No, I think you should." She knew it was going to be bad news and didn't want them fussing over her like she was the sick child.

"Faye?"

"I'll call you as soon as they know something. You know how slow the labs are, it'll be hours before we get the blood test results."

"Faye?" Barney knew what she was doing and didn't agree with it, he'd known her too long just to leave her, especially when she was so close to breaking point.

"Please." The look in her eyes begged him to do what she asked.

"Okay. Call us as soon as you know anything."

"Promise."

Faith hugged them both before watching them leave and slumping down in one of the plastic chairs. Looking up at Jack, she asked.

"You're still here?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you'd just leave, you know go back to the base."

"Nah. Why'd you make them go?"

"For the same reason as the one that's gonna make me ask you to do the same."

"Leave?"

"Yeah."

"I don't think so."

"What? Why the hell not?"

"Because you need someone here."

"No I don't." She was fighting back the tears. "And not to sound rude, but why should it be you."

"Because I know what this is like."

"Charlie?"

"Yeah."

After what seemed like an eternity of waiting the door to Athena's room finally opened and out came the Doctor that Faith knew far too well. Dr Jason Brookes, 41, married to Kate, with two children, one girl aged 13, one boy aged 7 and a dog called sparky. He had brought Faith and Athena in a piece of cake each from his daughters 12thbirthday party, when Athena had been in the hospital having Chemotherapy. Athena had not eaten hers, scared she would throw it back up, because of the chemo, and didn't want to offend Dr Brookes, so had hidden it.

"Hi Doc."

"Hi Doc yourself."

"You know Jason, I'm getting sick of the sight of you."

"I assure you I feel the same way about you and your daughter."

"So, have you had the labs back yet?"

"Yes I have. That's what I was speaking to Athena about, I have fully informed her."

"Good. So what's the verdict?"

"Dr Hudson, I must warn you it's not good news."

"Formal name basis? Is it really that bad?"

"I'm afraid it is."

"I think you had better explain then."

"The second course of Chemotherapy didn't work."

"What? You said there were signs it was going into remission."

"I said it's possible. Unfortunately I was a little optimistic."

"Okay, so it's not going into remission. We can handle that, we've done it before." Faith could feel tears welling up in her eyes as Jacks fingers slid around her hand and held it like she had done for him on PX2 983.

"That's not all."

"It's not?"

"No, we still have the reason why she collapsed to deal with."

"I thought that was it?"

"No, I'm afraid the news gets worse."

"Worse? Doc, are you trying to tell me what I think you are?"

"It depends on what you're thinking, but most probably yes. It's metastasised into her blood stream and it's going to keep on spreading. Now we have several options open to us at the moment. We can put her through another course of Chemotherapy, which will slow the process down, but short of a miracle it won't stop it. Or we can do nothing."

Faith was keeping herself remarkably composed considering the news she had just recovered, the tears continued to well, but didn't flow, not yet.

"Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I understand loud and clear. How long?"

"Any time, ranging from 6 months to two years, with a second course of therapy, it's going to be closer to the two year mark."

"But she's going to be sick all through that right? Really sick?"

"You know the effects of Chemotherapy. I urge you to speak to Athena and ask her what she wants before you make your decision. She's a very intelligent little girl, she understands what's happening and I know she's going to have her own view on this."

Faith nodded. "I know."

"You can go in and see her as soon as you want to."

"Okay."

Jack watched the Doctor walk away and the tears that Faith had been holding in begin to fall down her cheeks, slowly at first but soon were speeding into a constant stream from each eye. Tightening his grip on her hand, he pulled her over to him and rested her head on his shoulder as silent sobs wracked her body, the tears seeping through his green uniform and dampening his shoulder.

Jack didn't know how long he sat holding Faith, his arms around her, gently rocking her back and forth in an attempt to soothe her, despite knowing there was nothing he could do. Eventually her sobs began to end, but made no effort to move out of his arms, only moving slightly so she could embrace him back.

"What did the doctor say. I don't get the way they speak."

"Athena has a brain tumour, which means they can't operate, not in the place it's in, it's far too dangerous. So they've tried to treat it and stop it from spreading by using Chemotherapy."

"It hasn't worked?"

"No. She's had two courses, which made her very, very ill. Now it's got worse and it's gone into her blood stream, which means that it's just going to keep on spreading through her body. She's going to die."

"What about more therapy?"

"It'll slow it down, but won't stop it. She's going to die."

Faith repeated the statement, it hadn't fully registered yet, but as it did a wave of nausea, like she had never experienced before, hit her. Jumping up out of Jack's arms she ran down the corridor to the ladies restrooms.

Following Faith and ignoring the strange looks he received, Jack entered the ladies restrooms to find Faith in one of the cubicles, huddled over the toilet and vomiting. After throwing up two days worth of MRE's, Faith flushed the toilet and looked up at Jack, tears streaking her face once more. Sitting down on the cubicle floor, Jack pulled Faith over to him, so she was sat on his lap and huddled against his chest, and he let her sob again.

"It's okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?" Faith asked through the tears and sniffs.

"I promise."

And he meant it.

To be continued...

* finis *

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Faith