Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Colours Of Love - Part 3 - Day Of Conflict

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colours Of Love - Part 3 - Day Of Conflict

Colours Of Love - Part 3 - Day Of Conflict

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: The things he'll agree to.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/06/04

Colours Of Love - Part 3 - Day Of Reckoning

"Uncle Jack! Aunt Sam!"

A voice chirped from the doorway to their bedroom. Jack vaguely remembered Liz's warning from the night before about Jo coming in early. Sam stirred in his arms, one eye opening against the light streaming in from the window.

"Hey Jo," Sam greeted her sleepily; regretting the wine she'd consumed the previous evening.

"Mummy said I had to make sure you were awake before I came in." She told them, making Jack laugh - the little girl hadn't given them much choice there. Jo came and jumped on to the bed, sitting herself down cross-legged on the duvet. Jack pulled himself up into a sitting position, leaning back against the headboard. Sam only rolled over and curled up to his legs, resting her head on his thigh, and feeling his hand descend on her back to sub-consciously run his fingers in familiar patterns.

"Is your Mummy and Daddy out of bed yet?" Sam asked her, feeling her hostess skills kicking in.

"No, neither is Beth." She answered. "Can I read you my book?"

"Sure, kiddo." Jack answered, which sent her scampering off to search for it. He turned his gaze to the blonde in his arms. "Morning, you."

"Morning." She smiled, his mouth dropping to hers even as she answered. "What time is it?"

"It is... 0700." He glanced at the clock on his side of the bed.

"It feels earlier. Must be the alcohol." Sam groused, holding a hand to her head.

"You lightweight." Jack teased her.

Jo returned with a 'Mr Men' book, and surprised them by reading nearly all of it without any help. Once she finished with that, she ran out of the room to return with a handful of toys to show them. Each furry cuddly toy had a name, and apparently a story behind each of them, as Jo took great pleasure in retelling.

"You can keep Tigger until I go home Uncle Jack." She gave a colourful tiger soft toy to Jack, who was wondering where she got all her energy. "Aunt Sam, would you like one to cuddle?"

"It's okay, sweetie. You keep them for you to sleep with. I can cuddle Uncle Jack instead."

"And Tigger." Jack added, feigning astonishment that she'd forgotten his new friend, putting its orange head to her nose.

"And Tigger!" Jo repeated, bouncing on the bed.

There was a knock on the door and Liz came in, an apologetic smile on her face. "Is she causing trouble?" She asked, ruffling her daughter's hair.

Sam finally sat up, deciding she should really make drinks and start on breakfast for her guests. "Not at all. Jo was just introducing all her friends here."

"Uncle Jack is going to look after Tigger until we have to go." Jo informed Liz. "And Aunt Sam is going to cuddle Uncle Jack instead."

They all laughed at her, making Jo very happy that she'd said something funny - although she didn't understand what.

"So what time is Dad due to arrive?" Liz asked them.

"Not sure, sometime this afternoon. He insisted on getting to the house himself, so we can go out this morning if you like." Sam answered by way of disguising the fact her father wouldn't be arriving by plane and hoping Liz wouldn't want to meet him at the airport. Luckily she didn't push it, suggesting a little shopping.

"Actually we could go to the shopping centre, they've got a new kids area with an adventure playground and a bouncy castle." Sam suggested, watching Jo's eyes light up.

"Bouncy castle! Can we go, Mummy? Please?"

"Looks like the decision's made." Jack chuckled.

**

Several hours later they were walking round the stores, Beth and Jo were having a wonderful time on the bouncy castle, where Mark had opted to stay and watch while the other three adults absorbed a dose of retail therapy. They strolled from shop to shop, Liz and Sam occasionally finding something they wanted to try on, leaving Jack time to meander in the television and gadgets department. Despite his usual claims of not understanding Sam's 'doohickeys' at the SGC, he did enjoy all the new technology they seemed to come up with on good old planet Earth, mostly because they were fun, rather than life-threatening. 'Always helps,' he mused.

As Jack stood in front of a flat screen TV nearly his height, he felt a hand grasp his arm.

"What are you up to?" Sam smiled at him.

"Assessing the probability of getting caught if I drag you off to that storage closet over there, and -"

She hit him on the arm, a pink blush on her cheeks as she looked round to see if anyone had heard him. "If Jo didn't like you so much I think I'd have to kill you." Sam told him with a sweet smile, her heeled boots making her nearly his height.

Jack held his face an inch from hers, with a mischievous grin. "I think it'd be worth it." He kissed her and grasped her hand, making a move for the closet. At her shocked expression, his faade broke as he laughed. "I'm only kidding."

"That's not funny."

"I had you going though, didn't I?"

"Only because I know what you're like." She held his hand as she led him away from the television section. "We should find Liz. I lost her somewhere around the lingerie section."

"Now there's a place I don't mind shopping in." Jack told her with a straight face.

"I really should have left you on the bouncy castle, shouldn't I?"

"Are you implying I'm a kid, Carter?"

"I'm implying you never really grew out of the 'gameboy' phase, Colonel." Sam smiled, knowing he couldn't deny the accusation after all the times she'd caught him playing on it when he should've been doing paperwork.

"Is that Liz up there?" Jack asked, conveniently changing the subject as he pointed to a woman up ahead with an arm full of clothes. It was Liz, who spotted them and made a beeline to where they were standing.

"There's so many people in here!" Liz exclaimed when she reached them. "Sam, I found you a lovely shirt I think you'll like and there's lots of things I found for the girls."

Another twenty minutes later they were headed back to the children's area so they could grab some food for lunch and head back to the house in time for Jacob arriving. As Jack held her hand, Sam mentally recounted what she'd bought to make sure she hadn't left anything behind. They caught sight of Mark sitting with Beth on a bench by the playground.

"Hi darling. I bought you something." Liz spoke to Beth, who took the bag and thanked her mother with a smile.

"You had enough of bouncing?" Jack asked her.

"Yeah, Jo kept stepping on my feet." She answered, enthralled in her new hair accessories.

"I'll go find her." Sam volunteered, pulling Jack with her, as she held firm on his hand.

"You desperate to get me alone, are you?" He teased her, dropping her hand to circle his arm around her shoulders.

"I don't want you working your charms on Liz so much she gets a crush on you." She answered honestly.

"What?"

Sam turned to him, a huge grin lighting her eyes. "Got you back."

"That was so not funny." Jack answered, not quite believing he'd fallen for it.

"Was to me." She laughed. "Jo! Honey, come here."

"I'll get you back later." He said softly in her ear.

"With my Dad in the house?" She warned him with a smile.

"Damn, I forgot."

Jo ran up to them out of breath, gushing about how great the bouncy castle is. Sam broke the news to her that they had to leave and they made their way back to Mark, Liz and Beth. After a quick trip to the supermarket for supplies - Jack suggested they have a barbeque and invite the rest of SG-1, the group got back to the house a little after one. Sam opened the front door so everyone could get in, while Jack locked the car.

As he approached the house he heard Sam say: "How did you get in?"

Jo came running back out to grab his hand. "Uncle Jack, come see what Mummy bought me."

At that moment Jack came face to face with Jacob, who was looking incredulously at his granddaughter holding his hand.

"Jack, what are you doing here?"

**

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour