Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Haematic 1: Impending Gallows

by Ellsie Maquis
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Impending Gallows

Impending Gallows

by Ellsie Maquis

TITLE: Impending Gallows
AUTHOR: Ellsie Maquis
EMAIL: out.of.range@home.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack. UST
SPOILERS: For ITLOD, and little tiny bits and pieces here and there
SEASON / SEQUEL: Part 1 of the Haematic series.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: Character death
SUMMARY: SG-1 meets up with the one Goa'uld who could hit the broad side of a barn with a shovel, in the form of an 'old friend'.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I have received so much wonderful help, advice and encouragement from people for this story, I really don't know where to start, but here goes: My Mom , for same beta reading; everyone on the S/J, especially those who answered the questions that I posted in Nov., and especially Kelly "SierraGolfFan"; Cap'n Kate and Leenie, for encouragement, love, listening--Cap'n Kate for helping my with the plot at the beginning and when I got stuck; everyone who reads this!

Dedication: The first part of this story (Impending Gallows) is dedicated to Leenie Jackson, one of my very bestest friends, because last time a dedicated a story to her, it *sucked* and because she is the best "bitter and wrist twist" person I know!! Remember Leenie- It was 4 mins and 20 seconds!!!!

I walked out of the Base and breathed deeply, stopping to take three good lungfuls of air. The air 28 floor down is so recycled and treated that it's hardly air anymore. It only sustains you.

I smell leaves, diesel, cold and rain. Which isn't so bad-it's something.

It's raining quite hard, but that's to be expected. It's early November. It just feels good to be out from under the mountain of paperwork that we've all been buried under. Avalanche, more like.

The rest of the team is somewhere behind me, all going at a rather poky speed. I yell back, and they inform me that I'm just going too fast, which may be true. General Hammond's just given us four days of down time for Thanksgiving since we can't predict the future, but at the moment, there aren't any System Lords threatening our very existence, so why not celebrate now, just in case. So we're all going out for dinner together, then having a 'guys night in', so to speak, or maybe, more appropriately, a 'team's night in'.

There really is no immediate family that any of us have-sure there' s the odd divorced spouse, or off-world loved one, but we don' t know when we'll next see them. And I don't think that Jack really wants to spend Thanksgiving with his ex-wife, not to hope to much, anyways. This team IS family.

After being kicked out of our favourite Greek place at closing times (11pm. The dorks) we head to Jack's; he's the only one with a house, we'll all have somewhere to crash there (it's a nice house...).

Daniel's POV We'd crashed at various team members respective dwellings before (except Teal'c's, because that could look to be slightly, well, left of the middle. A little odd) and all agreed that Jack's place was the best, being the roomiest. This time, though, it felt...special. Like we'd have to savour it. Like it could be the last time.

After spending about 45 minutes on the roof looking at the stars from our perspective, and hearing all about constellations on Chu'lak, we hurried inside, freezing. After lighting a fire, Jack drug out a Battleship game. He wouldn't explain where he'd got it, but I think I caught the words "Sale" and "Department Store". (Nothing on Charlie-in fact, I doubted it had been Charlie's. Sara probably hadn't wanted war-promoting games in the house when she and Jack had been married. I just got that general feeling from the woman, the one time I met her.) Sam muttered something right back about his "childish whims", which I don't think anyone got, except maybe Jack, and I only speculate that because they both seemed to share the same bizarre sense of humour-Teal'c and I rarely got it. I put it down to the military.

Teal'c kicked everyone's asses, I think he was cheating, looking at the reflections off of his "branding mark" or something, I don't know, I'm just bitter that the Jaffa beat me. Around about 1:30am, after going to the bathroom, I snooped around one of Jack's closets a bit, and found a video camera-not a bad one either. Being sure that there was a tape in it, I scampered happily downstairs (Hey, past midnight, I can scamper or whatever I like).

"Hey! Hey, everyone look what I found!" "Daniel...what-whoa! What are you doing?" "Making a home movie."

"Nevermind. Classic case of stupid question getting an even stupider answer."

"Right. Well, do something for the camera."

Teal'c waved half-heartedly.

"OK, Teal'c tell us what the emblem on your forehead does."

"A symbol of slavery to false gods."

"Right. Eloquently put. So," --I got up in his face, Geraldo-like-- "what are you going to do now that you're free?" "Free my people from slavery to these false gods."

"Daniel, no need to mess with the Jaffa."

"Then you talk to the camera, Sam."

"Can we destroy this after?" "No."

"Then bite me."

"Doable."-That was Jack.

"What?!" "Well, where should I bite you? Do I get a choice, or is this a vote thing?" "Daniel, promise me something."

"Yeah?" "Let's never all stay up this late again."

"I don't mind."

"Neither do I."

"Fine. Gang up. GAH!!! Ouch!!" Jack had just bitten Sam's arm.

"Hey, it was your idea."

"It's not like I actually meant it!" "Whatever."

Jack started to walk away, but Sam dived after him, catching his leg and tackling him, both of them falling on the couch. He rolled off onto the floor, recovering faster than anyone really expected, then grabbed Sam by the waist, throwing the rather tall major over his shoulder and carrying her outside, while she berated him, beating on his back. Once outside, he started spinning her around in circles. Fast. She was just starting to look a little green when he put her down, and they both collapsed onto the wet ground, panting. I followed, commenting to the camera about The Blair Witch Project gone bad. Jack flopped onto his back (on the sopping wet ground, might I add)and Sam took the opportunity to seize his ankles and drag him over to a sorry looking flower bed, effectively covering him in mud. It turned into full-blown mud wrestling in about 30 seconds, at which point I went inside and got Teal'c to break it up. The neighbours lights were starting to go on. I got some towels and they ran upstairs, swaddled in about three each. They stood in the bathtub, fully clothed, while Teal'c and I used the removable shower head to spray them down. Then they took turns using Jack's bedroom to get some warm, dry clothes on, then put their clothes in the laundry.

I put away the video camera after that, but kept the tape, knowing it would embarrass them to no end.

After that, we just stuck in the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and fell asleep in front of it. I was on the reclining chair, Sam and Jack were sitting on the couch, under the same afghan, their feet on the coffee table, and Teal'c sitting upright on a kitchen chair that he'd dragged in. Psycho Jaffa.

Teal'c's POV I slipped into a meditative state after shutting off the video cassette that we had been viewing. The rest of my team members were unconscious at that point.

However, several times, I was jarred from meditation by a sudden uneasy feeling which I could not identify. It troubled me, but not too much so. I believed that my team mates would identify this feeling as a sort of 'nightmare'. Therefore, I dismissed it. I now know that I should not have.

Impending Gallows, 2/? Spoilers!!! for In the Line of Duty Author's note: I'm assuming that Impending Gallows takes place approx. 18 months after In the Line of Duty, and that Sam is a Major. So, this next part of the story, as noted and until otherwise noted, takes place right after the events in ITLOD. Kapiche? Okies. Read on... 18 months before Nov., 1999 Solen, the Prime Ash'rak, was fuming. His latest, most promising pupil had succeeded in killing the Tok'Ra, Jolinar, only to be killed by Teal'c. The Shova.

He swore to avenge the death of his pupil, even if it meant the loss of his own life. He swore to do it according to the ancient code of honour that the Ash'rak had followed for thousands of years. He swore to complete this duty.

The host body that he occupied may have seemed slightly agitated to the average passerby, as he consumed nutrients in Cheyenne Mountain Operations Complex commissionary, but nothing more. Everyone would assume that it was just because of the strange sequence of events that had gone on in the past week or so. The whole base, the whole mountain was already buzzing with the same agitation. He had no fear of being discovered, as long as he avoided a few very select members of the SGC.

Solen nodded a belated greeting to a passerby who addressed him by his host's name "Lt. Gregory". In his mind, he sorted out the facts. His student's first assassination, the right of passage by which he would become a true Ash'rak, and he had the high honour to kill a Tok'ra. He had done remarkably well, getting around the security systems, being swift and sure, killing the Tok'ra. His only mistake, his fatal mistake was underestimating the strength and skill of the former First Prime of Apophis.

No matter now, though. Done is finished, he reasoned. Now, revenge would be planned and executed, precisely.

2 months before Nov., 1999 There was no way that Solen could have gone back through the Stargate without arousing suspicion; his host hadn't been on a Stargate team and hijacking the Stargate would have ruined everything, so he had requested a transfer. It had been approved almost immediately, and he was on the first transport to Nellis Air Force Base, or, as the humans called it, Area 51.

As soon as possible, he'd switched hosts, then killed the former host, making it look like suicide. That was his second host. Now, he had just entered his fourth host, Lieutenant-Colonel MacIsaac, and he was almost where he wanted to be, since he was working his way up the chain of command. His next host would be Col. Harold Maybourne, the CO of Covert Operations at Nellis. He didn't care about the high profile, because once his task was done, panic was just perfect. It was only before the murder that caution was necessary. He shook his head as he wiped the barrel clean of finger prints and pressed standard issue Smith&Wesson in the still warm palm of Major A. Blais.

Nov. 3, 1999 "...and I'm sure that we'll all remember Lieutenant-Colonel MacIsaac's dedication to her work, the sacrifices that she made for all of us. Her death was a horrible one, and none of us saw it coming, but let's not dwell on that. Let's dwell on the life that she did have...the happy times. Let us continue to honour her memory in any way we know. She will be greatly missed."

Maybourne-turned-Solen finished delivering the eulogy for his second to last host and bowed his head. Bowed his head so that no one would see the surreal glow of his eyes.

I am almost finished... he thought, allowing himself to feel some pride in his hard work.

He left Nellis that night, on Holiday time, returning to the original site of his arrival. To the site of vengeance.

Nov. 6, 1999 Daniel's POV I woke up 12:00 the next morning, to the smell of...something burning, and laughter. Dragging myself groggily to Jack's kitchen, I found Jack and Sam trying to teach Teal'c how to flip pancakes, and Teal'c in an apron is not something that I want to discuss. Anyways, he was by the oven, teflon-coated spatula in hand, several pancakes in different locations, and a few burning ones on the stove. From his doubled over position by the table, Jack greeted me.

"Morning, Danny...looks like we'll need another batch, huh?" An hour later, we were finally all seated at the kitchen table with a heap of pancakes and two different kinds of syrup. We dug in, and were quite happily half finished, when Sam and Teal'c stopped eating, in perfect unison. A fork, carrying a piece of syrup soaked pancake to her mouth dropped, clattering to the plate. She turned to face her commanding officer.

"Sir, something's coming. Something is already here. A Goa'uld. I can feel it."

Jack turned to Teal'c, who nodded in agreement.

"I, too, sense the presence of a Goa'uld."

Jack looked slightly stunned, as I imagine I must have, and asked, "How close?" "How close? It's not like we have radar screens in our heads...Sir! We're not military precision instruments...it's just...I don't know. I can't tell how close. I'm sorry."

"Whoa, Sam. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Teal'c cut in, something rare.

" We may not be able to tell exactly how close he is, but the fact that we can sense his presence means that he is near."

Outside the house: 'Colonel Maybourne' shifted his car into gear, giving one final look to O'Neill's house, then drove off toward Cheyenne mountain.

General Hammond's POV I wasn't really sure why, exactly, Colonel Maybourne had called and asked me to call SG-1 in for an emergency meeting, stating that he would arrive in 2 hours. SG-1 was on downtime, but I could make it up to them. Maybourne sounded pretty urgent. So I said yes.

I told myself that if we was here to steal something, or try to buy them out of the Stargate project, or do ANYTHING to interfere with how our base ran, that he could kiss his job goodbye. But I saw nothing wrong with a meeting. Maybe the problem was that I didn't see what was going on. Could I have? Could there have been a chance? Can I make THAT up to SG-1? Janet's POV I had Cassie in the lab with me that day- her latest jr. high assignment was to interview a parent/adult about their job, and I was it. I just had to omit the part about the Stargate, interstellar travel, Goa'uld invasions, life-threatening alien diseases and all other top secret stuff. Just be a 'lab doctor' for our government. The teacher wasn't smart enough to know it was embellished anyway. That woman couldn't find her ass with both hands. Fortunately, she's...competent as Cassie's LA teacher.

As I said, we were in the lab when Colonel Maybourne walked in. I uttered something I shouldn't have in Cassie's presence, and she just blanched (not from the language). Neither of us mentioned it, but a few minutes later Cassandra mentioned that she felt sick and wanted to go home. I was feeling slightly ill myself, so we left. Who wants to stick around on a base, 28 floors underground with that rat, when you could be outside in the-ok, pouring rain, but anything was better than sticking around there.

Sam's POV I hitched up my coat-alright, not mine, Jack's, I'd quickly filched it before we left-and hurried towards the 'mouth' of Cheyenne Mountain. I was rather on edge-what with the fact that Teal'c and I had sensed a Goa'uld presence, and now, we had an emergency meeting with Maybourne. I yawned. Hopefully we would only need to be here for 15 minutes, tops, considering how well SG-1 and Maybourne got along. Maybe Teal'c could threaten his life again. I smiled unconsciously, and waved to Janet and Cassie as they scuttled past. Cassie looked a bit green around the gills, and I guess that I guess Janet saw my worry, so she mouthed "Maybourne".

I slowed down a little, letting the rest of the team catch up and then ducking under Jack's proffered arm because the rain was pelting us now, not drizzling.

As we entered the base, my feeling of uneasiness grew, getting worse the lower we got in the base. I pushed it down, dismissing it to "to many pancakes" , and "our rotten luck that Maybourne's here." I didn't know how close I was with the latter.

Daniel's POV As we entered the room that Maybourne had requested us to meet him in, I could see we were in trouble. Not 'military regs' trouble or even 'Maybourne being an ass' trouble, but 'Maybourne turned homicidal maniac' sort of trouble. I heard the door click shut behind us, and, not to sound clichéd, but I think that that was the closest think to the knell of doom that I've heard so far in my life. The room was empty, save for three metal chairs, and what could have been miles of rope.

The long despised Colonel of Nellis Base turned towards us, his eyes glowing preternaturally. We were in trouble.

Next: Part II- Juggernaut Title: Haematic, part I: Impending Gallows Author: Ellsie Maquis Email: out.of.range@home.com Status: Being posted in bits, but the story itself is complete.

Rating: PG, this part, anyways. It is eventually PG-13 or PG-14.

Keywords: S/J UST Archive: S/J and Heliopolis YES PLEASE! All other, please ask! Season: 3 and, I suppose, beyond.

Spoilers: For ITLOD, and little tiny bits and pieces here and there Warnings: This will eventually have some violence. But this is more of a...sad story than anything else. Character death.

Summary: SG-1 meets up with the one Goa'uld who could hit the broad side of a barn with a shovel, in the form of an 'old friend'.

Thanks to: I have received so much wonderful help, advice and encouragement from people for this story, I really don't know where to start, but here goes: My Mom , for same beta reading; everyone on the S/J, especially those who answered the questions that I posted in Nov., and especially Kelly "SierraGolfFan"; Cap'n Kate and Leenie, for encouragement, love, listening--Cap'n Kate for helping my with the plot at the beginning and when I got stuck; everyone who reads this! Dedication: The first part of this story (Impending Gallows) is dedicated to Leenie Jackson, one of my very bestest friends, because last time a dedicated a story to her, it *sucked* and because she is the best "bitter and wrist twist" person I know!! Remember Leenie- It was 4 mins and 20 seconds!!!! Parts to come: Part II: Juggernaut Part III: The Murderer and his afterlife Part IV: Anacrusis (an incomplete bar) Epilogue: Anacrusis (an up beat) Part One: Impending Gallows Nov. 5, 1999 Sam's Point of View I walked out of the Base and breathed deeply, stopping to take three good lungfuls of air. The air 28 floor down is so recycled and treated that it's hardly air anymore. It only sustains you.

I smell leaves, diesel, cold and rain. Which isn't so bad-it's something.

It's raining quite hard, but that's to be expected. It's early November. It just feels good to be out from under the mountain of paperwork that we've all been buried under. Avalanche, more like.

The rest of the team is somewhere behind me, all going at a rather poky speed. I yell back, and they inform me that I'm just going too fast, which may be true. General Hammond's just given us four days of down time for Thanksgiving since we can't predict the future, but at the moment, there aren't any System Lords threatening our very existence, so why not celebrate now, just in case. So we're all going out for dinner together, then having a 'guys night in', so to speak, or maybe, more appropriately, a 'team's night in'.

There really is no immediate family that any of us have-sure there' s the odd divorced spouse, or off-world loved one, but we don' t know when we'll next see them. And I don't think that Jack really wants to spend Thanksgiving with his ex-wife, not to hope to much, anyways. This team IS family.

After being kicked out of our favourite Greek place at closing times (11pm. The dorks) we head to Jack's; he's the only one with a house, we'll all have somewhere to crash there (it's a nice house...).

Daniel's POV We'd crashed at various team members respective dwellings before (except Teal'c's, because that could look to be slightly, well, left of the middle. A little odd) and all agreed that Jack's place was the best, being the roomiest. This time, though, it felt...special. Like we'd have to savour it. Like it could be the last time.

After spending about 45 minutes on the roof looking at the stars from our perspective, and hearing all about constellations on Chu'lak, we hurried inside, freezing. After lighting a fire, Jack drug out a Battleship game. He wouldn't explain where he'd got it, but I think I caught the words "Sale" and "Department Store". (Nothing on Charlie-in fact, I doubted it had been Charlie's. Sara probably hadn't wanted war-promoting games in the house when she and Jack had been married. I just got that general feeling from the woman, the one time I met her.) Sam muttered something right back about his "childish whims", which I don't think anyone got, except maybe Jack, and I only speculate that because they both seemed to share the same bizarre sense of humour-Teal'c and I rarely got it. I put it down to the military.

Teal'c kicked everyone's asses, I think he was cheating, looking at the reflections off of his "branding mark" or something, I don't know, I'm just bitter that the Jaffa beat me. Around about 1:30am, after going to the bathroom, I snooped around one of Jack's closets a bit, and found a video camera-not a bad one either. Being sure that there was a tape in it, I scampered happily downstairs (Hey, past midnight, I can scamper or whatever I like).

"Hey! Hey, everyone look what I found!" "Daniel...what-whoa! What are you doing?" "Making a home movie."

"Nevermind. Classic case of stupid question getting an even stupider answer."

"Right. Well, do something for the camera."

Teal'c waved half-heartedly.

"OK, Teal'c tell us what the emblem on your forehead does."

"A symbol of slavery to false gods."

"Right. Eloquently put. So," --I got up in his face, Geraldo-like-- "what are you going to do now that you're free?" "Free my people from slavery to these false gods."

"Daniel, no need to mess with the Jaffa."

"Then you talk to the camera, Sam."

"Can we destroy this after?" "No."

"Then bite me."

"Doable."-That was Jack.

"What?!" "Well, where should I bite you? Do I get a choice, or is this a vote thing?" "Daniel, promise me something."

"Yeah?" "Let's never all stay up this late again."

"I don't mind."

"Neither do I."

"Fine. Gang up. GAH!!! Ouch!!" Jack had just bitten Sam's arm.

"Hey, it was your idea."

"It's not like I actually meant it!" "Whatever."

Jack started to walk away, but Sam dived after him, catching his leg and tackling him, both of them falling on the couch. He rolled off onto the floor, recovering faster than anyone really expected, then grabbed Sam by the waist, throwing the rather tall major over his shoulder and carrying her outside, while she berated him, beating on his back. Once outside, he started spinning her around in circles. Fast. She was just starting to look a little green when he put her down, and they both collapsed onto the wet ground, panting. I followed, commenting to the camera about The Blair Witch Project gone bad. Jack flopped onto his back (on the sopping wet ground, might I add)and Sam took the opportunity to seize his ankles and drag him over to a sorry looking flower bed, effectively covering him in mud. It turned into full-blown mud wrestling in about 30 seconds, at which point I went inside and got Teal'c to break it up. The neighbours lights were starting to go on. I got some towels and they ran upstairs, swaddled in about three each. They stood in the bathtub, fully clothed, while Teal'c and I used the removable shower head to spray them down. Then they took turns using Jack's bedroom to get some warm, dry clothes on, then put their clothes in the laundry.

I put away the video camera after that, but kept the tape, knowing it would embarrass them to no end.

After that, we just stuck in the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and fell asleep in front of it. I was on the reclining chair, Sam and Jack were sitting on the couch, under the same afghan, their feet on the coffee table, and Teal'c sitting upright on a kitchen chair that he'd dragged in. Psycho Jaffa.

Teal'c's POV I slipped into a meditative state after shutting off the video cassette that we had been viewing. The rest of my team members were unconscious at that point.

However, several times, I was jarred from meditation by a sudden uneasy feeling which I could not identify. It troubled me, but not too much so. I believed that my team mates would identify this feeling as a sort of 'nightmare'. Therefore, I dismissed it. I now know that I should not have.

Impending Gallows, 2/? Spoilers!!! for In the Line of Duty Author's note: I'm assuming that Impending Gallows takes place approx. 18 months after In the Line of Duty, and that Sam is a Major. So, this next part of the story, as noted and until otherwise noted, takes place right after the events in ITLOD. Kapiche? Okies. Read on... 18 months before Nov., 1999 Solen, the Prime Ash'rak, was fuming. His latest, most promising pupil had succeeded in killing the Tok'Ra, Jolinar, only to be killed by Teal'c. The Shova.

He swore to avenge the death of his pupil, even if it meant the loss of his own life. He swore to do it according to the ancient code of honour that the Ash'rak had followed for thousands of years. He swore to complete this duty.

The host body that he occupied may have seemed slightly agitated to the average passerby, as he consumed nutrients in Cheyenne Mountain Operations Complex commissionary, but nothing more. Everyone would assume that it was just because of the strange sequence of events that had gone on in the past week or so. The whole base, the whole mountain was already buzzing with the same agitation. He had no fear of being discovered, as long as he avoided a few very select members of the SGC.

Solen nodded a belated greeting to a passerby who addressed him by his host's name "Lt. Gregory". In his mind, he sorted out the facts. His student's first assassination, the right of passage by which he would become a true Ash'rak, and he had the high honour to kill a Tok'ra. He had done remarkably well, getting around the security systems, being swift and sure, killing the Tok'ra. His only mistake, his fatal mistake was underestimating the strength and skill of the former First Prime of Apophis.

No matter now, though. Done is finished, he reasoned. Now, revenge would be planned and executed, precisely.

2 months before Nov., 1999 There was no way that Solen could have gone back through the Stargate without arousing suspicion; his host hadn't been on a Stargate team and hijacking the Stargate would have ruined everything, so he had requested a transfer. It had been approved almost immediately, and he was on the first transport to Nellis Air Force Base, or, as the humans called it, Area 51.

As soon as possible, he'd switched hosts, then killed the former host, making it look like suicide. That was his second host. Now, he had just entered his fourth host, Lieutenant-Colonel MacIsaac, and he was almost where he wanted to be, since he was working his way up the chain of command. His next host would be Col. Harold Maybourne, the CO of Covert Operations at Nellis. He didn't care about the high profile, because once his task was done, panic was just perfect. It was only before the murder that caution was necessary. He shook his head as he wiped the barrel clean of finger prints and pressed standard issue Smith&Wesson in the still warm palm of Major A. Blais.

Nov. 3, 1999 "...and I'm sure that we'll all remember Lieutenant-Colonel MacIsaac's dedication to her work, the sacrifices that she made for all of us. Her death was a horrible one, and none of us saw it coming, but let's not dwell on that. Let's dwell on the life that she did have...the happy times. Let us continue to honour her memory in any way we know. She will be greatly missed."

Maybourne-turned-Solen finished delivering the eulogy for his second to last host and bowed his head. Bowed his head so that no one would see the surreal glow of his eyes.

I am almost finished... he thought, allowing himself to feel some pride in his hard work.

He left Nellis that night, on Holiday time, returning to the original site of his arrival. To the site of vengeance.

Nov. 6, 1999 Daniel's POV I woke up 12:00 the next morning, to the smell of...something burning, and laughter. Dragging myself groggily to Jack's kitchen, I found Jack and Sam trying to teach Teal'c how to flip pancakes, and Teal'c in an apron is not something that I want to discuss. Anyways, he was by the oven, teflon-coated spatula in hand, several pancakes in different locations, and a few burning ones on the stove. From his doubled over position by the table, Jack greeted me.

"Morning, Danny...looks like we'll need another batch, huh?" An hour later, we were finally all seated at the kitchen table with a heap of pancakes and two different kinds of syrup. We dug in, and were quite happily half finished, when Sam and Teal'c stopped eating, in perfect unison. A fork, carrying a piece of syrup soaked pancake to her mouth dropped, clattering to the plate. She turned to face her commanding officer.

"Sir, something's coming. Something is already here. A Goa'uld. I can feel it."

Jack turned to Teal'c, who nodded in agreement.

"I, too, sense the presence of a Goa'uld."

Jack looked slightly stunned, as I imagine I must have, and asked, "How close?" "How close? It's not like we have radar screens in our heads...Sir! We're not military precision instruments...it's just...I don't know. I can't tell how close. I'm sorry."

"Whoa, Sam. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Teal'c cut in, something rare.

" We may not be able to tell exactly how close he is, but the fact that we can sense his presence means that he is near."

Outside the house: 'Colonel Maybourne' shifted his car into gear, giving one final look to O'Neill's house, then drove off toward Cheyenne mountain.

General Hammond's POV I wasn't really sure why, exactly, Colonel Maybourne had called and asked me to call SG-1 in for an emergency meeting, stating that he would arrive in 2 hours. SG-1 was on downtime, but I could make it up to them. Maybourne sounded pretty urgent. So I said yes.

I told myself that if we was here to steal something, or try to buy them out of the Stargate project, or do ANYTHING to interfere with how our base ran, that he could kiss his job goodbye. But I saw nothing wrong with a meeting. Maybe the problem was that I didn't see what was going on. Could I have? Could there have been a chance? Can I make THAT up to SG-1? Janet's POV I had Cassie in the lab with me that day- her latest jr. high assignment was to interview a parent/adult about their job, and I was it. I just had to omit the part about the Stargate, interstellar travel, Goa'uld invasions, life-threatening alien diseases and all other top secret stuff. Just be a 'lab doctor' for our government. The teacher wasn't smart enough to know it was embellished anyway. That woman couldn't find her ass with both hands. Fortunately, she's...competent as Cassie's LA teacher.

As I said, we were in the lab when Colonel Maybourne walked in. I uttered something I shouldn't have in Cassie's presence, and she just blanched (not from the language). Neither of us mentioned it, but a few minutes later Cassandra mentioned that she felt sick and wanted to go home. I was feeling slightly ill myself, so we left. Who wants to stick around on a base, 28 floors underground with that rat, when you could be outside in the-ok, pouring rain, but anything was better than sticking around there.

Sam's POV I hitched up my coat-alright, not mine, Jack's, I'd quickly filched it before we left-and hurried towards the 'mouth' of Cheyenne Mountain. I was rather on edge-what with the fact that Teal'c and I had sensed a Goa'uld presence, and now, we had an emergency meeting with Maybourne. I yawned. Hopefully we would only need to be here for 15 minutes, tops, considering how well SG-1 and Maybourne got along. Maybe Teal'c could threaten his life again. I smiled unconsciously, and waved to Janet and Cassie as they scuttled past. Cassie looked a bit green around the gills, and I guess that I guess Janet saw my worry, so she mouthed "Maybourne".

I slowed down a little, letting the rest of the team catch up and then ducking under Jack's proffered arm because the rain was pelting us now, not drizzling.

As we entered the base, my feeling of uneasiness grew, getting worse the lower we got in the base. I pushed it down, dismissing it to "to many pancakes" , and "our rotten luck that Maybourne's here." I didn't know how close I was with the latter.

Daniel's POV As we entered the room that Maybourne had requested us to meet him in, I could see we were in trouble. Not 'military regs' trouble or even 'Maybourne being an ass' trouble, but 'Maybourne turned homicidal maniac' sort of trouble. I heard the door click shut behind us, and, not to sound clichéd, but I think that that was the closest think to the knell of doom that I've heard so far in my life. The room was empty, save for three metal chairs, and what could have been miles of rope.

The long despised Colonel of Nellis Base turned towards us, his eyes glowing preternaturally. We were in trouble.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ellsie Maquis