Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Advice

by Elisabeth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Advice

Advice

by Elizabeth

Summary: Sam's made her decision and Jack turns to the only other woman he trusts.
Category: Romance, Thoughts
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/28/03

Jack O'Neill pulled into the dirt driveway. He hadn't been back home since 15 years ago when his dad died. It all looked the same. 2.5 acres of what used to be farmland in northern Minnesota with a small barn of to the right of the ranch-style house that his parents had built 53 years before when they got married. There were so many memories in that house. He could remember when him and his older brother built the rope swing out by the creek and spent all day jumping into the water. He remembered when his little sister was born and he was so proud to be her big brother, always watching out for her. He missed those days. The days when he knew he'd have a family at home to run to, to back him up when he got in trouble. He wished he had that now. If only he hadn't let her go. He shouldn't have let her leave. He had the chance and he passed it up.

knock, knock

`Come'

"sir?"

"Hey Carter, what can I do for you?"

"Can I to talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure, sit down."

She closed O'Neill's office door and sat down but didn't say anything for a while.

"Carter?"

She handed him a piece of paper he hadn't noticed she was holding. He read what it said and Sam tried to read his expression but it was difficult because there didn't seem to be one. He didn't even look at her. She wasn't sure if that was because he was trying to figure out what to say or if he was just ignoring her. She really hoped he would say something soon. Finally, he looked up at her.

"Why?"

"I explained it in the letter, sir."

"According to the letter you've been given a job opportunity at the Pentagon. What is it really, Carter?"

"I'm just ready for a change, sir, and I..." He interrupted her.

"What about m...the SGC? You expect me to believe you're willing to throw all that away?"

"Sir...please just try to understand. I have the chance to have a real life, a family, friends. I can't have that here."

"Carter you have a family and friends, sg1. Are you saying we're not enough for you?"

"Sir, I've made my decision." She got up and walked towards the door. "Sam." Surprised at the use of her first name, she turned to face him. "Yes sir?" He opened his mouth to speak then closed it. "Stay in touch." "I'm sorry sir, I think it's best that I don't." She exited his office, leaving a surprised, and slightly hurt colonel. `How could she do this to me?' he thought. `What happened to the feelings we have-had- for each other, or?' Was it all just a part of his imagination, wishful thinking? `No, it couldn't be. She's the one that suggested that there something between us in the first place, during that za'tarc thing. Maybe I should go talk to her, talk her out of this. But she seemed pretty determined earlier so maybe I shouldn't.' Finally he just decided let her be. He hoped that she would change her mind on her own.

1 Week Later - Hammond's Office
"Colonel, do you have any ideas for a replacement for Major Carter?" "No, sir, I don't."
"Why don't you and the rest of sg-1 take a couple of weeks off until we find an adequate replacement. You're long overdue for one anyway and I'm sure Teal'c would love to see his son again."
"Yes, sir."
"Dismissed."

Normally Jack would head up to his cabin and fish but he didn't think he could handle 2 weeks of doing nothing but thinking about Carter. So that's why he was here, at his mother's house. He knocked on the old door and a minute later an elderly woman in her 70's opened the door. She was extremely healthy for her age and didn't look nearly as old as she was.
"Jack?! What a lovely surprise! Come in." "Hi mom. How are you? You look great." He stepped inside and gave her a hug. "Sit down, would you like something to drink?" "No, thanks. What have you been up to lately?" "Well I was just planting some flowers in my garden when you came." "You want some help?"
" Sure, follow me." She led him to her back yard and showed him a beautiful garden. "Wow, I'm impressed."
"Here." She handed him some gardening gloves. For the rest of the afternoon, they talked and laughed together. Jack couldn't tell her much about the last few years but she caught him up on the family and bragged on her new grandchildren. Before they knew it, it was dinnertime and Mrs. O'Neill cooked their food. After everything was washed up, they sat on the couch in silence and finally Jack looked at his mother. Her face suddenly full of concern for her son, she asked,
"Why are you really here Jack?"
`She knows me too well' he thought.
"To visit you mom, why else would I be here?" She wasn't buying it and the look on her face told him so.
"What's her name?"
`Way to well'
"Mom...did you love dad?"
"With all my heart." She wasn't sure where this was going but she was willing to find out.
"Were there times when you wanted to leave?" "Honestly? Yes. What happened Jonathan? Did she leave?" "How'd he get you to stay? What did he say?" "He didn't say anything. He just loved me unconditionally and every time I thought about leaving, I knew I'd never make it without him. That's all I needed. Do you love her Jonathan?"
"Yes."
"Does she know that?"
"I think so."
"Then she'll come back. She's a fool if she doesn't." He wasn't completely convinced but at least he had some hope now. "Thanks, Mom."
"Anytime, son. How long are going to be staying?" "I have 2 weeks leave. Unless you don't think you can handle me for that long." "I think I can handle it." She smiled.
"Your room is at the top of the stairs, first door on the left side of the hall." "Thanks." He picked up his bag from beside the door and carried it to his room. It was exactly the way he left it when he moved out at eighteen years old. His mom had this thing about keeping everything the same. Maybe this 2 weeks off wouldn't be too bad after all. If he could just keep his mind off Carter, he'd be fine.

2 Weeks Later
Jack unlocked his front door and put his bag in his bedroom. The light on the message maching was flashing and he pressed the button. Message 1 "Hi Jack, it's Daniel Uh... you there? Guess not, well when you get in get give me a call."
Message 2 "Jack are you there? Come on pick up the phone. OK, talk to you later." Message 3 "Um, hi colonel. I'm sorry for the way I acted before. We need to talk. Give me a call. Bye."
There were several other messages but he didn't bother to listen to them. He picked up the phone and dialed her number. Ring...Ring...Ring...Ring
Ding Dong
`Daniel you pick the worst times to come by don't you?' he thought as he walked to the door. But when he opened the door, he saw the one person he expected the least to be standing there.
"Sir."
"Hey Carter."

To be continued...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Elizabeth