Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Advice - Part 3

by Elisabeth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Advice - Part 3

Advice - Part 3

by Elisabeth

Summary: Jack and Sam have a talk.
Category: Drama
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/05/03

knock knock

"Come in." Colonel O'Neill didn't sound like he was in a very good mood, Sam noted. "Sir, is this a bad time?"
"I'm in my office doing paperwork, Carter. What do you think?" Sam had gotten used to his attitude towards paperwork over the last few years and knew that was never a good time to approach him.
"I'll just come back later, sir."
"No, it's ok. Come in." She sat down and ran through everything she was going to say in her mind. She rehearsed her words on the way to his office but when she actually arrived, her brain seemed to stop functioning. It must have been a long time because O'Neill asked, "Carter are you ok?" "Yes sir." She still couldn't think of what she was going to say, but she'd have to think of something soon because he might start worrying about her. It wasn't often that Major Samantha Carter was speechless. Sure enough, he spoke up. "Did you come here for something, or are you just wasting my time?" That sounded familiar, Sam thought. Oh, right. Now she remembered where she heard that before, which reminded her of what she was doing here, in his office. "We need to talk, sir."
He knew they wouldn't be able to just forget about what happened, but he was hoping they could. Unfortunately, it didn't sound like Sam would let that happen. "I know. Look Carter, I'm sorry about what happened. I should not have put you in that situation and it was completely unprofessional of me. But do you have to leave SG-1? I thought you said you didn't like the Pentagon."
"I won't be going back to the Pentagon. General Hammond agreed to let me stay on SG-7, and maybe eventually, get my own command."
"So that's what this is about? You want your own command?" He knew that wasn't true, but he didn't know how else to get her to talk to him about the real problem, whatever that was. "No sir, that's not what this is about." "Then, what?" When she didn't respond he asked again, "Carter?" He could tell that she was trying to find the right words.
"It's about us, sir. Before, I could ignore my feelings and push them to the back of my mind but after what happened, I don't think I can do that anymore. And that's why I have to leave. I'm sorry." He knew she was probably beating herself up inside right now for not being able to control her feelings. What she didn't know was that he had been seriously considering retirement for the same reason. He just never expected that she would 'beat him to the chase', so to speak. "So what's going to happen when you leave? We'll just forget about it?" "That's probably the best thing to do, sir." "I don't want to just forget about it Sam. Shouldn't we at least give 'us' a chance?" "What do mean? We'd get court-martialed and a dishonorable discharge, at best." "Not if you're on SG-7. You would report to General Hammond, not me, which would make it perfectly legal." She was speechless and he was feeling almost proud that he could do that to her so easily.
"Carter?"
"I...I guess we could give it a try." After some hesitation, she added, "But I think it would be best to take things slow. Let's not rush into things." "I agree." There was a silence, not an awkward silence, just silence, both of them letting their new agreement to sink in. Finally, Sam looked up and found him looking straight into her eyes, almost as if looking for some assurance that everything would be ok. She smiled her one smile that she knew he loved and he answered her with his own crooked half-grin. "So, we're ok?" "Yes, sir." Sam stood up to leave and as she opened the door he called after her, "Carter" "Yes, sir?" "Good luck with SG-7." "Thank you sir." And with that she left, fighting back a smile. Everything was going to be fine.

All done!
Any feedback would be appreciated, especially constructive criticism.

~Elisabeth~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Elisabeth