Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

P1X969-3

by Dr Kate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
P1X969-3

P1X969-3

by Dr. Kate

TITLE: P1X969-3
AUTHOR: Dr. Kate
EMAIL: keldred@telstra.easymail.com.au
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack romance
SPOILERS: "P1X969" and "P1X969-2" (Moi own stories)
SEASON / SEQUEL: Sequel to my stories, "P1X969", and "P1X969-2". This is the last sequel. No more after this.
RATING: Um, PG13, I think
CONTENT WARNINGS: There is some bad language. Hey, Sam is giving birth, after all...
SUMMARY: The baby's coming, Jack's off-world, and Sam's panicking... majorly.
ARCHIVE: "Heliopolis", everybody else ask me first.
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters belong to MGM, Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment (my own) and no money was made from it. Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Does anybody know the name of those paper shirt clothes thingy's that the doctors are forever putting on in ER? Cause, I don't. And ER isn't on here in Oz at the moment, so I can't check. In surgery, they're called scrubs, but they're made of material, and are washed afterwards. I mean the paper disposable ones they use in the ER. Anyway, I called them paper shirts. Hope nobody minds. :-)
Well, this is it. Last part. Sigh.

Sam Carter woke up.

'Pickles'. It was the first thing that entered her mind. It was followed by: 'Ice-cream; Pickles and Ice-cream; together; in a bowl; NOW!' Sam shook her head. Pickles and Ice-cream, in a bowl, together? Sick. Majorly sick.

Sam got up out of her bed, waddled to the refrigerator, made herself a bowl of Pickles and Ice-cream, sat down on the couch and preceded to devour it.

Sam's cravings had got weirder and weirder as her pregnancy progressed. First it was porridge. Sam had hated porridge ever since she was a child, but, suddenly, it was all she could eat. Morning sickness was a major part of this, as she was throwing up all the time and porridge seemed to be the only thing she could keep down. Later, as her morning sickness subsided, her cravings for porridge subsided as well.

Then she wanted bubble-gum.

And not just any bubble-gum. It *had* to be peach flavor. And only peach flavor. One night Sam sent Jack searching the base for some. It took him three hours, and made him many enemies'. It seemed that no-one liked being woken at five am on the whim of a pregnant woman, the General included. Eventually, a pack was found, and peace restored to SGC. Thankfully, the General understood.

And now Pickles and Ice-cream. Sam was thankful that Pickles and Ice-cream was so readily available. Well, not Pickles and Ice-cream together, but the constituent ingredients were all easily found at the nearest store.

Sam was at home now, or, rather, Jack's home. Sam had moved in two months ago, just after she stopped accompanying SG1 on trips off world. She had been five months pregnant at the time, and Janet thought that continued Gate travel could be dangerous. Also, Sam was starting to get pretty big, and was finding it harder to move around. In fact, she was so big that Jack was certain that she was carrying twins. Janet finally had to show him the ultra-sounds, pointing out that there was only one head. Jack seemed to drop the idea, although Sam was certain that he was still holding out for twin babies.

Sam finished the Pickles and Ice-cream, and, after washing up the bowl and having a shower, decided to potter around in her garden. Sam called it her garden, although Jack had been doing all the manual work. At seven months, Sam was huge, and incapable of wielding a spade. She merely watched him, dictating the arrangement of the various flowering plants and basically being an annoyance. Daniel had been around a couple of times whilst this was happening and had accused Jack of being 'hen-pecked'. Jack had looked outraged, while Sam had merely smiled, and winked. She then flashed her wedding ring at Daniel and said, "It's my sacred duty as a wife to make him do all the work. You're the archeologist- you should know this."

Sam smiled, remembering the day when she had officially become 'Mrs. Carter-O'Neill'. They were married in a local park, with Teal'c and Daniel as best men, Janet as maid of honor and Cassie as the flower girl. Her father couldn't make it to give her away, as the To'kra had just moved planet and were incredibly busy, so General Hammond gave her away instead. Graham Simmons had been dubbed the official 'video-tape guy', and he spent the day filming the occasion for Sam's father to see at a later date. She had offered to give him the dubious pleasure of video taping the impending birth as well, but he backed out, quoting little-known religious laws as his reason.

The wedding was beautiful, the reception afterwards great, and the wedding night fantastic... but then, it always was with Jack. Sam giggled to herself, remembering.

Sam picked a daisy from her garden, smelling it. Mmmn, honey. She tucked the flower behind her ear, and stood up, groaning with the effort. Only two more months to go.

Suddenly she stopped, feeling warm liquid trickle down her legs. Her eyes widened. Was that...? No, it couldn't be. She was only seven months. But the liquid continued to fall, oblivious to her mental protests. Sam's mouth slowly opened, realizing. "Damn..."

Her water's had just broken.

Jack looked around at the scenery. Trees, grass, hills, village in the distance. Same as always. He looked at his watch. Only twenty six hours to go till he could go back home to his wife. He hated going on missions without her. Especially when the mission promised twenty six hours of boredom.

He looked to Teal'c. He was his only companion on this trip- well, other than those SG3 blockheads. Daniel was busy back at base translating a stone tablet SG4 had found, and Sam...

Jack sighed, wondering what Sam was doing right then. Probably just getting out of bed, eating a foul Pickles and Ice-cream sundae, and then pottering about in 'her' garden. She seemed to do that a lot now. Something about growing and life and stuff. Janet had tried to explain the symbolism to him, but it all sounded like psychologist mumbo-jumbo. Sara never gardened when she was pregnant with Charlie...

Jack pushed those thoughts from his mind. He had been terrified in the early stages of Sam's pregnancy that something would happen, that he would lose another child, that even Sam might be taken away from him. He started to have the recurring nightmare again, the one that replayed Charlie's death over and over. He started to wonder if marrying Sam was the right thing; that if he left her, she'd be safe. He even left, one day. Packed his bags and everything. Drove two miles down the road and realized that he loved her, and quickly drove back home again. Luckily, Sam hadn't been home at the time, and never realized how close she'd unwittingly come to being a single mother. Jack regretted that more than anything else in his life. He had never run away scared before, and was now determined never to.

Jack checked his watch. Twenty five hours and thirty five minutes left till he could see Sam.

This was going to be a long mission.

Sam tapped her foot, impatient. This was not a good time to be put on hold. "Come on, Janet. Pick up..."

Finally, Janet reached the phone. "Yes, Dr. Fraiser speaking."

"Janet, the baby's coming."

"Sam? What!"

"My water's have broken. The baby's coming. What do I do?" Sam sounded like she was panicking.

"Ok. Calm down. When did this happen?"

"About ten minute's ago."

"And have you had any contractions?"

"No... I don't think so..."

"Ok. I'm going to come get you, and then we'll drive to the hospital, ok?"

"But the contractions..."

"I know, but the amniotic sack has ruptured, which means it's hospital time. You get your bag. I'll be there in twenty minutes." Janet hung up.

Sam sank slowly to the floor. Twenty minutes. Ok. She could manage by herself for twenty minutes. Sam smiled... and then doubled over as a wave of pain washed over her.

Contraction number one had started.

Janet raced down the halls of the SGC, towards the General's office. She didn't bother to knock when she got there, preferring to fling open the door and march in. "General, sir!"

Hammond looked up. "Now what is the matter, Dr?"

"I just got a call from Sam. She's in labor, her water's have broken, and she's two months early. I'm going over there right away, to take her to the hospital. Can you get Jack?"

"Colonel O'Neill just went through to P1X738 with SG3. They're not due back for another twenty five hours."

"Well, can you send someone through after him? Sam would kill us if Jack didn't get back n time."

Hammond nodded. "You're right. I'll see what I can do."

Janet smiled. "Thanks, General." She then turned around and marched off.

Sam stopped the breathing, relieved that the contraction had subsided. It had been fifteen minutes since she had rung Janet, and she'd had three contractions by now. One every five minutes. She knew that couldn't be good.

She heard a frantic knocking at the front door. Finally, Janet was here. She struggled to get up, failing. "Janet?" she yelled, hoping that the doctor could hear her. "Go around the back. The sliding doors are open."

The knocking broke off, and twenty seconds later, Janet was rushing to where Sam lay on the kitchen floor. "Sam, I told you to get your bags!"

"I haven't been able to. The contractions are about five minutes apart, and I can't get up." She started groaning as another contraction began.

Janet started to examine her. "Oh, shit. You're almost fully dilated." Janet got up and grabbed the phone. "I'm ringing for the paramedics."

Sam shook her head. "Already done. I panicked about eight minutes ago. They're on their way." She continued groaning. "Where's Jack?"

"He only just went through to P1X738 with Teal'c and SG3. Hammond's going to send someone after them to bring him back."

The contraction subsided. "He'd better get here in time. I've got quite a few things to say to him, none of them pleasant," Sam growled.

"Something along the lines of 'Damn you bastard, why the hell did you have to get me pregnant?'"

"Something like that."

The sound of an ambulance pulling into the drive could be heard, and Janet got up to let them in. Three paramedics rushed over to Sam's side, lifting her onto a stretcher with Janet's help. "Janet, my bag's in the wardrobe. Green. Can you get it?" Sam started to groan again.

"Sure." Janet raced into the bedroom and grabbed the bag. She then raced back out to the ambulance, and jumped in the back. A paramedic started to protest, but Janet cut him off. "I'm a doctor."

The paramedic nodded. "OB-GYN?"

"No- military. Although, I did flirt with obstetrics in Med. School."

Sam looked up amazed at her friend. "You wanted to deliver babies?"

"No, I wanted the obstetrician."

Sam began to laugh, but it was cut off by yet another contraction. "Oh how I'm gonna *kill* Jack!"

Daniel stepped through the Gate, and then looked around. Trees, grass, hills, village in the distance. No sight of Jack. He turned on the radio attached to his fatigues. "Hey, Jack? Teal'c? SG3? Anybody there?"

The radio crackled, and suddenly Daniel could hear Jack's voice. "Well, Danny boy! What are you doing here?"

"Taking your place. The General sent me. Sam's gone into labor."

"What?! She's not due for another two months!"

"That I gathered. Janet's taking her to the hospital. Meanwhile, where are you guys?"

There was silence for a while. Then Daniel could hear Teal'c's voice. "There may be a problem. O'Neill is stuck in a hole at the moment."

"What?"

"You heard him. You at the Gate?"

"Yeah."

"Right. Start walking towards the village. You'll find us in about 20 minutes." Jack ended the transmission.

Daniel did what he said, and, twenty minutes later he found Teal'c and SG3 standing some distance from a rather large, deep hole. "Jack, how the hell did you get in there?"

"I fell. The ground's unstable."

Daniel turned to SG3. "Are you going to get him out? His wife is having his child as we speak."

"Hey, the bloody airman can get his own way out," replied one of the men. "Besides, like the Colonel said. The ground's unstable. We can't get near enough."

Teal'c nodded. "What he say's is true. I have thought hard about O'Neill's predicament, but I am unable to come up with an answer."

Daniel sighed. "Then I guess it's up to me."

The ER was relatively calm as Sam was wheeled in. It didn't stay that way. "Where the hell is Jack?" Sam screamed at the top of her voice. "He should bloody be here! He promised! Oh shit!" Another contraction rippled through her body.

Janet tried to calm her friend. "He'll be here. You are a bit early, though. You can't expect him to have known that you'd be early."

"Oh yes I bloody well can! He should be here! So I can tell him I hate him in person!" Sam grabbed hold of Janet's arm and proceeded to hold it in a vice-like grip, digging her fingernails in. "Janet, you have my permission to shoot me if I ever let him touch me again, ok?"

"Ok, Sam. Now can you just let go of my arm?" Janet was grimacing.

The contraction ended. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" Sam let go of Janet's arm. "It should be Jack's arm that I'm clinging on to." More obscenities issued from her lips, her voice raising in octave as another contraction began.

Sam was wheeled into one of the rooms. Doctors and nurses bustled about, and a senior man strode in after them. "Hi, I'm Dr. Walther. I'm going to be the one who delivers this baby. How premature are you?"

"Two months," Janet answered.

"You her sister?"

"No, I'm her doctor- not obstetrician." Janet offered her hand. "Dr. Janet Fraiser, Airforce."

Dr. Walther shook it. "And the patient is...?"

"Captain Samantha Carter-O'Neill- also doctor. But of Astrophysics. Can we get on with this?" Sam groaned.

Dr. Walther took a seat and began to examine her. "Sure. Well, you look fully dilated, so you can start pushing if you want."

"I don't wanna start pushing. I want Jack to be here!" She started pushing anyway.

A nurse gave Janet gloves and a paper shirt, which she put on. "That's it, Sam. Push."

"Push!"

Daniel was supervising Teal'c and SG3. They had located a tall sapling, cut it down and were in the process of pushing it over to the hole. Daniel's idea was that if they could some how get one end of it in the hole, Jack could use it to pull himself out. Daniel hoped that it would work. After all, if Jack didn't back in time, Sam would kill both of them, Daniel included.

One end of the sapling fell into the hole. "For crying out loud, Daniel! Watch where you're dropping that thing."

Daniel edged as close to the hole as possible. "Sorry! Can you climb up now?"

"Of cause I can bloody climb up." Jack grunted, heaving himself out of the hole. Finally, he crawled across the ground to where the other's were, and then stood up. "Thanks."

Daniel nodded. "Sure thing. Now, can you please get back through that Gate and join your wife, before your kid turn's twenty?"

Jack's mouth suddenly fell open as he finally took in all the details of Daniel's presence. "Sam's having the baby. Oh boy. She's having the baby." He took of towards the StarGate, looking back only once to say, "I'm gonna be a Dad!"

Daniel smiled as he ran off. "Well, that's nice. Now, weren't you guys heading for that village?"

General Hammond was waiting as Jack stepped through the Gate. He blinked as he noticed Jack's disheveled appearance. "What happened to you?"

"Disagreement with a hole. Where's the nearest car?"

Hammond smiled. "I'll drive you myself, son."

Sam pushed.

"Ok. Here it comes... it's a girl!"

Sam looked up to see Dr. Walther holding a red, wet, yelling girl. Her daughter. She smiled through her tears of pain and happiness. She found herself reaching for her, but then stopped, as yet another contraction started. "Oh boy... am I still supposed to be pushing?"

Dr. Walther quickly handed the baby to Janet before examining her once again. "Were you expecting twins?"

Both Sam and Janet answered simultaneously. "No!"

"Yes! I knew it!" Jack ran quickly around to Sam's side, dressed in pink scrubs. A nurse outside had taken one look at his dirt-covered clothes and demanded he change. He kissed Sam on the forehead, before looking at the doctor. "Colonel Jack O'Neill, father. It is twins, right?"

Dr. Walther nodded. "Yep. Captain, if you could start pushing again?"

Sam nodded, tear's in her eyes, sweat on her forehead. She looked at Jack. "What... (push) took... (catch breath) you... (push again) so... (pant) long?"

"Slight disagreement with a hole. I fell in. Don't worry, I'm ok." He kissed her again. "Come on, Sam. You can do it. Push!"

Sam pushed.

"It's another girl!" Dr. Walther held her up for all to see.

Jack kissed Sam again, this time, full on the lips. "Twin girls." There was a note of fierce pride in his voice. "Samantha, I love you."

"Jack, are you going to cut the cords?" Janet was smiling at the tiny baby in her arms.

"Oh, yeah." Jack took the instrument and cut both of the babies umbilical cords. Dr. Walther then handed Jack the second girl, and Janet handed Sam the other.

Sam looked at the red, wet, yelling baby girl in her arms, and then at the equally red, wet, yelling baby girl in her husband's. Finally, she looked at man she had married. "Jack, I love you too."

The End.

Dr. Kate, © 1999

Ah, wasn't that wonderful? Make's you want to have kid's, doesn't it. (Not. Too young. Maybe one day... :-)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dr. Kate