Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fields of Gold

by Dizzy
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fields of Gold

Fields of Gold

by Dizzy

TITLE: Fields of Gold
Author: Dizzy
Email: vampae@hotmail.com
Category: Thoughts, Memories, Drabble
Pairing: Daniel/Sam
Spoilers: Meridian
Season: 5
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: character death
Status: Completed
Summary: After the events of Meridian, Sam remember Daniel for who he was, and how she felt about him.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: Oh this made me cry, writing it!! The song is fields of gold, by Eva Cassidy.
I wrote this, because i just got engaged, and feel all woo like. And i can say goodbye to Daniel. This is also Archived at the SDR

It was the day of Daniel memorial service. They didn't quite know what to do, really, because he wasn't dead. Sam was in tears all the way through. Jack didn't quite know what to do with himself, and Teal'c, Teal'c had an expression of pain on his face.

After the service, they'd headed back to Jack's again. It was easier, because his house was bigger. This time there was an air of finality around the whole party. This time Daniel was gone. They had seen him go.

Sam had left the main party to check the music was still going. It wasn't. She rooted through the Colonel's CD's and smiled when she found one by Eva Cassidy. That was something she hadn't expected.

She slipped it in and pressed the play button. This would be sombre, like the whole idea of the event.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
upon the fields of barley
you'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
as we walk in fields of gold

Sam closed her eyes and remember walking through the sand on the yellow planet, in the first year the team had been together. That was when Daniel had still called her Captain-Doctor, rather than Sam, as he had taken to calling her later on.

She remembered his excitement when they had found the crystal. And his shock when it had tried to communicate. Oh yes. Everything communicated with Daniel. The time that Daniel had been dragged below the sea on a planet, because the creature thought he could tell him the fate of his mate. Sam shivered, as she remembered the fear she had felt that day, when she though she had lost him. When he had come back through the damn alternate-reality-mirror, injured, and told her later on what had happened. He could have been killed.... and her engaged to Jack? Not possible. There was only one man her heart belonged to.

So she took her love
For to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold
Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lie in fields of gold

Then of course, he'd helped her through her dad becoming a Tok'ra. That had been hard on her, but he had been there, for her to talk to all the time. Then being thrown back to 1969. She laughed, remembering Teal'c jumping up on the road and Daniel telling Jack to pick one of the 23 languages he spoke, and he'd picked a dodgy German accent that had made her have to bite her tongue, not to laugh.

She'd been afraid for him, again when Hathor turned up again. She thought Hathor had wanted Daniel again. Sam would never have allowed that to happen again, not after Daniels confusion the last time. But she hadn't. She'd chosen Jack.

See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold

Sha'res death had changed him. And not in a good way. When they had found him, looking down at her body, Sam had just wanted to pull him close, cuddle him until his pain disappeared. But she couldn't. That wouldn't have been right. And she wouldn't have known how Jack would have reacted. She knew how he felt about her. But he had never known how she had felt about Daniel.
I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in fields of gold
We'll walk in fields of gold

She had seen the pain on Daniels face, when someone had told him the rumour going around that Jack and she had admitted feelings for each other. Sam had promised him it wasn't true. A promise she had made sure she would keep. But she knew something had happened on the time loops, and when they had been stuck on Apophis' ship, and Daniel knew as well. He was clever in that way.

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold

Then the last year hadn't been good for him. Sam awoke herself as someone shook her on the shoulder.

"You okay Carter?"

Sam nodded, out of her dream world already.

"Just remembering Daniel, sir. He would be pleased today

"Yes he would. What have you put this old thing on for? I got better than that Carter!!"

Sam smiled as the last chorus came on. "I think we should go and rescue Teal'c from one of the nurses. She's quite taken with him"

Sam nodded and her and Jack left.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold
When we walked in fields of gold
When we walked in fields of gold

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dizzy