Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Until the Rivers Run Red With Blood - Part 5

by Debbie Louise Gough
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Until The Rivers Run Red With Blood, part Five

Until The Rivers Run Red With Blood, part Five

by Debbie Louise Gough

TITLE: Until The Rivers Run Red With Blood, part Five
AUTHOR: Debbie Louise Gough
EMAIL: littlemissarty@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Angst,Drama,Hurt/Comfort,Series,Smarm
PAIRING: none
SPOILERS: season four and various
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: adult themes, angst, language, violence
SUMMARY: In a rage, Osiris/Daniel launches an attack against Apophis just as SG-1 finally begin to bond with Captain Swann
STATUS: Unfinished
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Ack...can't....move...body...cramp....okay, I thought this would be a five part series like my other series. Obviously my muses were pulling my legs ( yep, both of 'em) for which we shall be having some serious discussion time later. Enjoy.

Calling out your name
Your face is everywhere
I'm reaching out to you
To find that you're not there
I wake up every night
To see the state I'm in
It's like an endless fight I never seem to win
But I can't go on as long as I believe
And I can't let go when I keep wondering
Where are you now?
What have you found?
Where is your heart,
When I am not around?
Tell me, where are you now?
You've got to let me know
So I can let you go

The darkness, so rich, silky and complete, crept along the silky grass rushes, past the vibrant orange groves, scented so sweetly, and devoured the golden-pink light that danced along the tips of the verdant blades of grass, swallowing up the corpses of whole Jaffa. A ball of light- fire really- in the sky sunk gradually, and dark clouds gathered.

Kolkene, a young teenager of fourteen, of the second regiment of Jaffa in service to Osiris, stood, a candle he had stolen from the Priest Jaffa's temple ( a crime he would surely pay for later) dripping wax onto his golden-olive skin, burning it, and stared. Bodies- dozens of crumpled, bloody forms- littered what had once been a peaceful golden-green meadow that glittered in the hazy dusk of twilight, staining it ruby red with blood, still fresh and slick, a heady coppery scent masking even the light, fruit scent of the orange groves. The fire-fight had been started by a rebel faction of Jaffa, in legion with Apophis, Osiris' rival- those same Jaffa had since been dealt with by the people of Sol, Osiris' home-planet. Even now, their heads were on display in the Main Temple, an example to the people of Sol of the wrath of their God.

Except, Kolkene thought, his young face creased in thought, our God is missing. Ishmael- that filth- killed him...

It was the glint of gold and ruby-red that caught Kolkene's eye, and candle wax dripped over his fingers, burning them ( his Goa'uld larvae gave a hiss of annoyance, wriggling in his gut) as he started, his blood encrusted boots seeming suddenly too heavy as he stumbled through the grass and mud, to the foot of the cliff. Crumpled, one rib piercing through thin golden skin, blood still pooling around him, dripping from his crimson and golden robes, was his God. A neat round hole of blood and gore, and waxy skin, heralded him as dead. Kolkene felt this heart clench in fear and anger, and set his candle down, gently blowing out the tiny golden dancing flame.

" My Lord," Kolkene muttered, looping his metal-encased arms around Osiris' crumpled bloody form, pausing to stare at the slack face, the dull cornflower blue eyes, the full lips, tinged blue with death, blood trickling from the corner of his mouth, staining his white teeth. " I will take you to your sarcophagus my Lord, and you will revive and reward me richly."

Blonde-red hair, like silk, fell against Kolkene's shoulder, and glimmered- the only thing about his God that was alive- in the dying light, shattered gems tinkling. Standing, Kolkene's dark hazel eyes narrowed, surveying the landscape, once alive and rich, now a bloodied corpse. A lone figure, a black cape draped over bulging shoulders, metal armour glinting, stood, in the shadows. The briefest of smiles flickered over the young Jaffa's face and he awkwardly stumbled forward, his arms wrapped protectively around Osiris' ( and as he would later find out, Daniel Jackson's) body.

" Master Anu! Master Anu!"

The head tilted questioningly, but Master Anu remained where he was, his face stoic.

" Master Anu, please help me! I have found our Lord!" For the first time, Kolkene's face twisted into a scowl. " That traitor Ishmael-" Master Anu interrupted his apprentice, holding up one gloved hand. His dark, coffee coloured face was set angrily, eyes watching him with cool appraisal.

" Our Lord was killed by one of the Tauri sent to rescue him," Anu's lips curved into a dark smile, " I have dealt with the Tok'ra spy who gave them this location. I have also dealt with the Tauri filth who dared to touch our God." Kolkene's mouth dropped open in protest, and again, Anu held up one hand to silence him. " Hush child. I have also since dealt with Ishmael, who dared to attempt to kill our Lord. His head resides with the other traitors in the temple." A flicker of a smile crossed his face, as patiently, he held out his well-muscled arms. Rather gratefully, Kolkene allowed him to take Osiris from his arms, brushing away the flecks of blood from his armour.

Anu beamed.

" Come Kolkene," he all but boomed, " let us take our God to his sarcophagus." He waited until Kolkene was ahead of him, black cape dancing in the wind behind him, before he softly added, "Your Father would be proud, boy. It had always been his dream that he- or perhaps his son- would be chosen as the next First Prime, by myself, for Osiris."

The teenage Jaffa, who had been walking sluggishly, straightened, and afterwards, Anu could not help but notice the spring of pride in his step.

The attempted rescue was a disaster. For starters, there were just too many Jaffa for us to overpower, a little fact I happen to blame snake-face for ( Anise), not to mention the fact there turned out to be a rebel faction of Jaffa, sent by Pop- Apophis- to start a fire-fight. The Tok'ra contact who had given Garshaw, Anise and Carter's dad the whereabouts of Daniel has been killed, and so has some weasel named Ishmael- apparently he was Osiris' personal slave. Carter's covered in bruises- hell, I'm covered in bruises ( not to mention I have a charred leg- mmm, chicken flavour)- Teal'c's retreated to his quarters to do his Kel'No'Reem thing and Swann is lying in the Infirmary as I speak, with a staff blast to the stomach ( Selmac managed to cure some of that before Jacob was carted off to a cot to rest) and a concussion. Ah, Swann. Funny how few near-death experiences will change your perspective on somebody- where we had none, we ( and I mean the whole of SG-1, not just me, myself and I) now have an inkling of respect for the man. He saved our lives. He got clobbered round the head by a Jaffa for his efforts, but at least he tried, which is better than what Anise did ( and she claims to like me!)- our Tok'ra archaeologist snuck back to the Gate and dialled up Earth, which is all well and good, but she could have at least helped a little in the battle. Maybe clobbered a Jaffa with her ribbon device perhaps.

Speaking of Anise, the Tok'ra representatives ( Garshaw, Jacob and Anise) are stuck on Earth- a stray staff weapon bolt struck our Gate ( yes, ours, not Osiris'), so all teams off-world have been informed and told to go to our 'safe' planet ( the Land of Light or Tollana, depending on whether the Tollans are feeling generous or not) until further notice, whilst repairs are made (After Carter's and my trip to the Anartic, Hammond doesn't particularly want to risk recalling the teams) to the Stargate. Jacob is quite content- he gets some time to see Mark and Carter, Garshaw, ditto in the contentedness ( apparently, she's always wanted to see our planet a little more after her brief trip here, two years ago when they were moving home), but Anise seems a little pissed off. A lot actually. Apparently she has some experiments to perform on Vorash or whatever their planet's called, yadda, yadda. Just as long as she keeps her lips and tongue to herself this time, rather than shove them down my throat, I don't give a damn.

From the Personal Journal of Colonel O'Neill.

Soft yellow lights shone down in the Infirmary, casting a halo around Captain Charles Swann's head, light dancing over the strands of his short hair, and making the bandage wrapped around his head almost glow. Hands, shrouded in plaster cast, that had been stomped on by the same Jaffa who had shot him, were delicately placed on a bare, tanned belly, just covering the ridged emergency stitching of his staff blast wound. His pale hazel eyes were open, glazed slightly with morphine and other drugs, and tracked the room as Colonel Jack O'Neill paced bitterly, scrubbing his hand through short grey hair.

" Colonel?" he questioned softly. Charles had awoken only an hour ago, to find (to his pride), Major Samantha Carter and Jack O'Neill sitting by his bedside, softly talking, their faces the epitome of guilt. The fact that they were there at all confirmed to the young Captain that he had been in the right when he had shot and murdered- killed, he inwardly corrected with a pang of guilt- the fallen angel of the SGC- the resident archaeologist-turned-Goa'uld. Jack stopped abruptly, and the two burning cinders softened. Sitting next to the bed, rigidly, Sam raised a short blonde messy mop, her tired blue eyes accentuated nicely by the bruises beneath them, and a long gash across one cheek.

" Sorry Captain. Just trying to think of how the hell a rescue mission could go to pieces in such a short amount of time." Charles briefly dipped his head, carefully schooling his features.

" If it helps sir, I'm sorry," he softly said. Jack arched one eyebrow, haunted eyes flickering questionably.

"Sorry?" Jack gave a low, hollow chuckle, " Daniel used to say that. Used to be sorry when he had no damn need to be. You're a good man Charles." His breath hitching with pride, Charles smiled feebly, and inched himself further up the bed. He had finally made it; he was one of the IN team. He shook his hair, as if ridding bad memories, and gave a little shudder.

" All the same, sir, I wish I could have gotten to Doctor Jackson sooner." His chest heaved with a heavy sigh, tugging at his bandaging and stitching, and he could feel their eyes flicker with sorrow and interest. They hadn't heard this bit; hadn't heard about what a tragic little hero he was. " He was so close sir. I saw him on the ground, and then one of those damn Jaffa decided I'd make a rather nice target practice." He lowered his head, lips tugging ruefully, and waited.

Jack, pacing the floor, scrubbed his hair a little more viciously, Samantha's face furrowed with a frown.

" But the point is," Jack finally sighed, " you tried your best." Shooting a wry glance back to where Doctor Fraisier no doubt lurked, he quirked a watery smile. " If our local power-hungry Neopo-"

Her heels clicking solidly against the concrete floor, Janet Fraisier made her entrance, her shoulder-length maroon hair pulled up into a chignon bun, one eyebrow quirked questionably.

" I have your physical evaluation coming up soon Colonel," she smiled sweetly, rocking back on her heels, hugging a clipboard to her small chest. Just for a moment, the Colonel's face blanched, and Sam hid back a sombre smile.

Awkwardly, Jack cleared his throat and turned to face Charles once more.

" As I was saying...if Doctor Fraisier gives the word, I have a barbecue coming up this weekend to which you, Carter, Teal'c, the Tok'ra, Doctor Fraisier and Cassandra are invited to."

Charles could almost feel his face crack in two with the hundred-watt grin that lit it. He had made it. He had made it!

He could feel them, even before he opened his eyes; the two Jaffa- one young, one who carried a symbiot close to maturity. They were guarding him, waiting for him to awaken. Rage gripping his heart with it's thin, frail dark hand, as he a flash of memory of the Tauri man mocking him, Osiris' eyes snapped open, glowing. For once, his insufferable host remained silent and subservient.

Eyes burning with anger, he snapped at the nearest one; " Where is my slave Ishmael? Why does he not wait for his God to awake?"

The eldest one blinked benignly, surprise flickering across his elderly features, creasing his cartouche in two. Osiris' glare deepened, and as if to confirm his anger, his eyes glowed, until they were painfully bright. The harsh glow seemed to initiate the decades of training the elderly one had no doubt gone through, as he straightened, schooled his features, and tightened his grip on the staff weapon in his right hand.

Smiling darkly, Osiris sat up, one smooth hand running along the frame of the sarcophagus endearingly, stroking the golden gild, caressing the raised symbols. A set of velvety blue eyes raised, gazing up from beneath a set of thick, brown, girlishly long eyelashes, meeting the dark, stoic eyes of the elderly Jaffa.

" Where is my slave Ishmael?" he repeated silkily, and his fingers dug into the Naquada-enriched metal side. The Jaffa licked his lips.

" I am Master Anu, and this is my apprentice, Kolkene- he stands in line to be your next First Prime, my Lord-" The dark smile wavered angrily, and although he wore no ribbon device, Osiris' hand stretched out warningly.

" I care not for names," he softly said, flexing his fingers, the long nails, well-kept and dipped in gold, stretching out like cat claws. His other hand curling around the edge of the sarcophagi, Osiris stood, and for one moment, his legs buckled. Disgusted and aghast, Osiris stared at them. Daniel, although stirring- frantic urgency fuelling him on, no doubt- still slept; furious, he raised his eyes, hooded, his dark eyebrows- thin from the many hours of waxing and plucking- knitted, furrowing angrily. " There is something you are not telling me," the God decided. " Tell me, Master Anu, what secret do you hide from your God?"

Anu swiped a tongue over dry lips and swallowed once, before straightening, the fear leeching from his skin like the life had leeched away from Sarah those many months ago.

" From what the Jaffa of Turlnalia managed to discover," Anu began humbly, referring to a small city just outside the regions of Osiris' palace, temple and orange groves, " Ishmael began to doubt your Godliness when- and these are his claims, not our beliefs my Lord- your host took control. He did not believe a God could ever lose control and he attempted to murder you my Lord, by pushing you off the summit." Osiris felt only two emotions as Anu abruptly finished, gazing obediently at the floor, as all Jaffa had been commanded to do in the presence of their God. Shock and anger. Shock that Ishmael- a mere slave- could ever harm him, and anger that the foolish human had even doubted his Godliness. Daniel stirred, and Osiris' eyes glowed angrily- it had gone far enough. The foolish Tauri would no longer take control.

" I trust that you reminded Ishmael that I am not in my true form, and that if my host emerges, it is because I allow him to?" Osiris silkily said instead, the wild rage in his eyes fading into a deadly calm that came only with a millennia of suppressed rage and anger, and before that, centuries of rule. Anu bowed his head, and the young Jaffa- Kolkene- behind him tensed, the muscles in his young body flexing.

" Yes my Lord-" Anu allowed a brief, grim, dark smile to flicker across his face, " Despite the beating, he was persistent that it was a lie." Again, that dark smile, now accompanied with a snort of disbelief, " as if a God would have need to lie."

" And what has become of this traitor?" Osiris asked quietly, watching both Kolkene and Anu intensely, studiously.

" His head now resides alongside with the treacherous fools that dared to align themselves with Apophis whilst enjoying the bliss that is Osiris." A flicker of a memory stirred in Osiris, from over a year before-possibly two, when he still slept in a vial- of his host, Daniel, standing alongside O'Neill and Samantha Carter, head bowed, dressed in cream, linen robes. A man, dressed similarly, the ribbon device wrapped around his tanned right hand, with black eyes, black hair and a long, black beard stood before him.

" We were sent by an agency...but now we are enjoying the bliss that is Seth,"

Osiris' eyes darkened bitterly, and mistaking his anger for what had happened to Ishmael, Anu added sharply, " He deserved far worse my Lord; yet with our legions of Jaffa searching for you, a decapitation and beating was the best we could do."

Control slipping, snake-head? Osiris nearly let out a roar of anger then and there at the inward taunt from the slowly awakening Daniel Jackson, but instead sent a wave of agony, striking specifically the nerva system, in response.

" You have done well, Master Anu," he praised- rare for a God- and even sent a dark smile at Kolkene, " and as has my First Prime-" Confusion creased Kolkene's young face. " The Jaffa who is posing as my First Prime is to be executed in the most painful manner for Jaffa, and Kolkene shall take his place. And my first orders for my new First Prime, are to execute Ishmael's family. I shall not have the blood family of a traitor living under my rule." Rather bravely for the newly appointed First Prime, Kolkene stepped forward and gave a little bow, and tentatively asked, " And after that, my Lord?"

A dark smile lit the Goa'uld's features.

" We shall attack Apophis. I have waited long enough. No more shall that man serve to mock me; a God no less."

Dressed in her BDU's, her arms wrapped in a gesture eerily similar to Daniel, Sam stood, waiting outside the Infirmary as Colonel O'Neill scowled at Janet when she thought she wasn't looking. The Colonel's pale, hairy thigh was exposed, showing tinges of black-red skin, wrapped tightly in bandages. Jack's face was white with pain as Janet tightened the bandaging, and even from the hallway, Sam could hear the seriously not-nice names he was muttering feverishly.

" You should really be staying in the Infirmary Colonel, like Captain Swann," she was muttering, tugging tight another bandage and standing back to examine her handiwork. She ignored a muttered comment about her parentage, patting the charred thigh instead, smiling coolly when Jack's face tightened with pain, and he shot her a fake smile.

" I sense a 'but' there Major," he said hopefully, glancing past her to Swann- who now had succumbed to sleep and drugs, and lay unconscious, hooked up to various monitors, on his cot.

" You're lucky," Janet continued with a grumble, " Especially after that comment about my mother." She arched a thin brown eyebrow, and outside, Sam smirked, eliciting a raised eyebrow from Teal'c. The Jaffa, although clearly tired, exhausted and in some pain ( he had only been allowed out of the Infirmary to his room after sighing rather heavily as a thermometer was shoved into his mouth and Jack had cheerfully commented on the Jaffa's increasing strength) had finally emerged from Kel'No'Reem. Out of SG-1, he was the only one to have not changed his original opinion of Swann- only acknowledging that the soldier was brave, and not much more than that.

" But yes Colonel, there was a 'but'. You have a barbecue to prepare for- and I have no doubt all you'd do if I kept you in here would be to harass the nurses with cranky behaviour and lewd comments. Now, out, I have work to do and you're cluttering the Infirmary." There was a pause as Jack was forcibly shoved out of the Infirmary, and the double doors shut, and then another pause as Jack's eyes widened and he snapped back at the closed doors " I am not cranky!"

" Colonel." Automatically, Sam straightened, pulling bruises, stitches that she hadn't told the Colonel about, and muscles. Jack acknowledged her with a nod of his head and a smile, his cheeks dimpling.

" Carter, Teal'c. How come you're not at home resting like Janet no doubt ordered you to?" This, he addressed to Sam- the Colonel knew that Teal'c had undergone Kel'No'Reem, as well as the fact that Teal'c didn't own a house like Carter or an apartment like Daniel had once owned off-base. The Jaffa seemed perfectly happy staying at Jack's when the two went out to experience Earth's culture, or as Daniel would have put it " cruised strip joints and watched cheesy sci-fi B movies."

Sam's cheeks tinged with pink, the Major forced herself to turn curious blue eyes to Jack.

" I was just wondering, Sir," she began, a little more coolly than intended, " when you had actually planned this barbecue. Not that I mind...it's just, with Daniel...missing-" Jack's throat tightened and he flinched, "- I wouldn't have thought you would have wanted a barbecue at all."

The pink tinge deepened, and she dipped her head apologetically. " Sorry," she added, almost as an afterthought.

His chest tightening painfully, Jack heaved a sigh.

" No need to be Major," he sighed wearily, " and you're right- I hadn't actually planned a barbecue- in fact, if things had gone a little differently today-" He frowned, and held up a finger as both Sam and Teal'c went to correct him, "- sorry, yesterday, I still wouldn't. But Swann is in the Infirmary because he tried to defend Daniel." His Adam's apple bobbed painfully, and in the dim lighting, Sam thought she saw the Colonel's eyes glitter, " and no doubt because I wasn't really watching out for him. He's borne the brunt of my sarcasm, and in general all of our bad mood for the past two to three months. I think he deserves a barbecue, don't you?"

There was a soft, hushed clapping from behind them, and Sam and Jack and Teal'c whirled around, to see General Hammond and General Jacob Carter/Selmac standing, wearing gentle, fatherly smiles. The corner's of Teal'c's lips curved into a gentle smile of recognition.

" Nicely put Colonel," Hammond said gently, as Jack's eyes widened in astonishment. He turned to Sam for a brief moment, " Major Carter, I do believe that Jacob is ready to return home with you."

Her lips curved into a grin at this; with the Gate down, her father had refused to take up any of the VIP rooms that could be used by exhausted SF's, or refugees, instead asking his daughter if she minded him staying over at her house for the time-being.

" Thank-you sir," she said, and then, on an impulse, added, " how long before the Gate's up and running? Because as much as I want Dad to stay, the Tok'ra will no doubt need to hear about their contact."

Hammond gave a soft sigh that could have disguised a quiet snort- in truth, most of the SGC, with the exception of the SF's who rarely saw women dressed so...there was no other word for it...provocatively, couldn't wait until they were ridded of Anise- as nice as her host, Freya was, Anise, the symbiot was dangerously arrogant and secretive- so much so, she had almost caused the deaths of SG-1 in the Atenik incident.

" Another day, Major, and then it should be up and running." Sam gave a nod of thanks, and the remaining three watched as she disappeared down the hall with her father, talking in low voices, before Hammond turned to both Teal'c and Jack. " Colonel...Jack...why don't you get started on preparing for that barbecue? And Teal'c, you're needed in the Gate room. Sergeant Siler has an idea he'd like to run through with you."

Daniel was in a dark, hellish place, where time was a constant, and a second could just as easily seem like eternity. Ever since Ishmael had pushed him from the cliff- and the memories after that were scant and foggy- and he had died, Osiris had been taking great care not to let Daniel take control- not for one second had the archaeologist been able to fight control without experiencing absolute agony or hearing a dark cold voice whispering in his head how after he killed Apophis, Osiris would take on the Asgard, and then would destroy the Tauri for good, with the exception of Jack, Sam and Cassandra who would be made into hosts. Teal'c would be slaughtered.

From the brief flashes of memory that Osiris occasionally sent, the Goa'uld had a new First Prime- a young teenager, only a few years older than Teal'c's son- and Ishmael's family had been slaughtered, by Osiris' order, by the young boy.

But once again, he found himself, staring out through his own eyes, trapped, in front of thousands of Jaffa, and in front of him, inches from his face, were row upon row of wooden stakes, heads grotesquely rammed on top, the wood bloody, sinew trailing down the shaft, dull eyes staring out at the crowd. The nearest head belonged to Ishmael, and if Daniel- or Osiris- looked too closely, he could see that the eyes had been gouged out, leaving raw muscles, flies and maggots. If he had control of his body or at the least, stomach and mouth, Daniel had no doubt that he would be on his knees, retching at the sight.

" Apophis was a fool, and his followers even more so, for believing I could be so easily beaten," words- not his own- were flowing easily from his mouth, cold and malicious, as Osiris reached up to Ishmael's head, and tugged, the flesh tearing away from the wood. Mentally, Daniel roiled at the sight, and decided he didn't want to take control today, scuttling back into a dark, dark, hellish place. " As these men- and Ishmael- no doubt discovered." Osiris added easily, the head dangling from his fingertips. Drawing his arm back, he thrust the severed head- so bloody, gory and revolting- into the crowd, watching with some satisfaction as women shrieked, scuttling backwards, and men moved away, as if just the slightest of touches would contaminate them- that they too, would try to betray their God.

" We shall leave tonight," Osiris continued- and his voice, just for the briefest of seconds, wavered sadly, as he caught site of the swollen sun as it set, casting a beautiful pink-lavender-gold glow over the congregation. Then the God shook his head bitterly, cursing his host's mannerisms, that even now, even when the host no longer attempted to reassert control, slipped into his own godly mannerisms. " And we shall attack Apophis," his voice rose magnificently with each word, and the sun caught his hair, turning it into a mop of molten gold fire, the gems sparkling and twinkling in the dying light. "And we shall triumph, and then all shall bow down to Osiris- God of all!"

Despite the cheery party- barbecue- that was occurring only two floors below him, Jack found he couldn't willingly go down there, and joke with the guests as if nothing was wrong- even if it were for Captain Swann- who sat in a wheelchair, Janet's small medical bag nearby. Rubbing his temples irritably, Jack tilted tear-filled dark eyes to the jeweled sky above him, stars dancing mockingly- one shooting star rocketed across the sky, framing the pink-blue and green space dust. It was a beautiful sight.

Damn shame a lot of un-beautiful things are happening on those stars, then, huh?

On of those stars was Daniel- trapped in his own body, possibly being tortured, possibly dead, or just as possibly torturing the good citizens of Sol. On another planet were the Tok'ra, trying their best- or so they claimed- to grasp a handle on the situation... it disturbed Jack, that once had just been a beautiful and an astronomical hobby, now represented a dark story of the SGC's failures and triumphs of each planet.

" O'Neill."

And apparently, he wasn't the only one it disturbed. Rolling his neck, massaging the kinks there, Jack turned to look at Teal'c, setting his telescope down. The Jaffa sat uncomfortably in one of his deck chairs, the golden cartouche folded in two and bronzed in the October twilight. It would be Halloween soon, Jack mused. Only a few months ago, he'd planned to take Daniel ( dressed as an archaeologist to his disgust), Carter ( dressed as an astronaut) and Teal'c ( as Darth Vader, a fact the Colonel found faintly disturbing) to the local elementary school, to act as chaperones for a party there. It had been the same school that Charlie, then Cassandra, and for a brief spell, Merrin, had attended, and the Colonel was good friends with one of the teachers- who had had a husband in the USAF, and during the months that Jack had been imprisoned in an Iraqi hell-hole, had provided comfort for Sara.

Now he would have to take Swann in Daniel's place, assuming they didn't find the young archaeologist and de...Goa'uld him.

Despite his recent assessment of the Captain, it didn't feel right to just allow him to replace Daniel- replace years of happy, and sometimes unhappy, memories.

" Hey Teal'c," the Colonel said lightly, or tried to. For some reason, his voice came out as a bitter croak.

" O'Neill, why is it you sit here and not in your garden, at your barbecue?" Jack considered the question, although he already knew the answer.

Finally, he simply answered, " Just thinking," and then at Teal'c's expressionless stare, added, " About Daniel." He waved one hand up at the stars, " About where he might be right now. About how the Tok'ra are doing squat-all about it."

Teal'c frowned in what was obviously both disapproval and sympathy.

" Daniel Jackson has been missing many months now, O'Neill," he rumbled. Jack glanced past him briefly, to where Carter was talking animatedly- or at least a good impression of it- to her father and Cassandra. The young teenager, of course, had been told about Daniel's new state a month after he had been taken as a host. She had been hoping to ask him to help her with a particularly grueling essay on the mythology of the Celts, and the origin of the Runes. Cassandra had been devastated, like most people who had known the Doctor. She had even, Janet had admitted once, broken up with Dominic for a brief period, she had been so upset.

Agitated, Jack stood, brushing past his friend, to the frail wooden ladder that led to the garden.

" I know Teal'c," he mumbled, " but I can't help but think that this is turning into what happened to Sha're-" Jack regretted it the instant he said it, and winced apologetically at Teal'c who stood frozen, looking quite unhappy. " I didn't mean it like that." He added feebly.

Teal'c looked at him sadly, and quietly rumbled, " Is there not a phrase amongst the Tauri known as a Freudian slip?" He apparently didn't expect an answer, as he added softly, " It is no matter O'Neill. But if it is some comfort to you, I believe that we shall find Daniel Jackson. A Goa'uld such as Osiris is arrogant and will not remain in the shadows for long."

Sam frowned as she watched Jack, followed by Teal'c, slipped down the frail wooden ladder. It was something that Janet often argued with him about, claiming that it worsened the state of his knees, and once in a heated debate, the Major had snidely suggested that the Colonel buy a stair lift. But at that time, it had been because a rung had broke on it as Jack climbed down, breaking Jack's ankle, and unfortunately, giving Daniel, who had been standing beneath, a concussion and a near miss of a broken neck.

Janet as it were, was nowhere in sight, having a heated debate with Anise- or Freya- and so hadn't seen the rickety old ladder, still there. Next to her, Cassandra, dressed in low-slung jeans, emphasizing a toned stomach ( much to Janet's horror), a velvety corset and corduroy jacket, her hair pulled into a bun, followed her gaze, blue eyes lined with kohl. The teenager, normally so talkative, was abnormally quiet tonight. Sam knew why of course; aside from herself and Janet, Cassandra had also bonded with Daniel, who had alternatively watched her in the VIP room, and played with her and Sam after the girl had recovered. Now Daniel was missing, written off as a dangerous Goa'uld.

" Major Carter?" a soft voice uttered by her elbow, and Sam tore her disapproving gaze away from Jack and Teal'c, to a young airman she dimly recognized as First Lieutenant Halden, who stood, still fresh in his Battle-Dress-Uniform, to attention.

" Yes?" she inquired softly, suspiciously. Behind him was a standard army truck, green camoflage standing out sharply in the twilight ( a few of Jack's neighbors were peering through their curtains at it, wide-eyed).

" The Gate was fixed Ma'am, and the Tok'ra have sent word. They wish to speak to you, Colonel O'Neill, Teal'c, General Carter, Captain Swann, the Tok'ra named Aldwin and-" his gaze flickered past her, eagerly, to the woman dressed in her traditional Tok'ra garb, one of Jack's leather jackets her only protection against the growing cold air, " Anise."

" Thank-you airman," Sam said half-annoyed, half-hopeful to what this could mean. She gestured wildly at Jack, who slowly weaved his way through the crowd, to the two- Cassandra had long since wandered over to talk to Aldwin and her mother. Spying the airman, Jack's face furrowed into a frown.

" Carter?" he asked skeptically.

" Sir," she said breathlessly, " The Gate's open. The Tok'ra have contacted us."

It came as a streak- brilliant red-gold, much like everything else about Osiris- across the pale lavender sky that overlooked a scattering of asteroids- the only remains of the moon, Netu, destroying several large buildings, and killing, no doubt, thousands. In his Mothership, Osiris smiled darkly, Daniel's lips twisting upwards into an unnatural grimace, peering through the golden-white clouds that lined the sky, the product of pollution and a stunning sun-set. The attack had begun, and Apophis would soon retaliate, if he still lived. A scuffling behind him interrupted the God, and he turned, smiling benignly at the new slave- a Goa'uld like himself, but just a minion, rather than a God. If Osiris had bothered to peer into Daniel's mind, to pillage his secrets, he would have slaughtered the man immediately. But the System Lord no longer tried to bond with his host or pillage his secrets, and thus did not know the man's significance. But Daniel Jackson did, and in his self-made prison, he imagined his eyes widening, and horror and surprise slowly seeped through his mind.

" Ah," Osiris said warmly, gesturing to the slave to join him, to gaze at the wondrous sight, "Tanith."

Tanith smiled darkly, bowed his head, and one hand, forever behind his back, and joined Osiris. The man- the Goa'uld- had once been nothing but a symbiot in Shaunac's, Teal'c's former love, belly, when the priestess had thought she had convinced the symbiot to join the Tok'ra. Tanith, as he had titled himself, had then taken a young man host, and when Shaunac had recovered, a new symbiot found by the Tok'ra, keeping her alive, Tanith had murdered her. Now, the Goa'uld was being used by both sides- the Goa'uld and the Tok'ra, who had already guessed about his treacherous nature.

" My lord," he said softly, silkily, " I bring news. We must depart to the other ship however." Alarm spiked in Daniel's mind, and despite the pain he knew it would bring, he struggled against Osiris' control...

Osiris knocked down Daniel's effort, as if he were no more than a fly, and followed Tanith to the hall. In the middle was a circle, drawn in white, indicating the ring transportation system.

" What news do you bring Tanith?" Osiris asked, his brow furrowing in disapproval. Kolkene, his First Prime, should have been guarding the rings. If Osiris had walked a few more yards, he would have seen the same First Prime, dead- the victim of his symbiot being snapped in two, a staff weapon wound to his leg, and behind him Master Anu's ashes formed a neat pile on the floor.

Tanith smiled again; an eery childlike smile that reminded Daniel of the smiles painted on porcelain dolls. He had always hated them.

" I bring you a message from my true God," he said lightly, his face twisted into a sneer, " Apophis." Osiris had little time to react as Tanith raised the zatnikitel and smiled dreamily, firing once. Blue light danced across his skin, and then- Osiris receding into the back of Daniel's mind, 'unconscious'- Daniel crumpled to the floor, writhing in agony. " Tanith," he managed to wheeze, knowing how futile it was, " it's me, Daniel Jackson. Remember? I'm an ally to the Tok'ra."

Tanith scowled, and kicked out at Daniel with his metal boots. One rib broke; maybe two, and a haze of red pain washed over the archaeologist's body, as he gasped like a fish out of water. Dimly, he bit back a cry of pain as Tanith hauled him to his feet, holding him close, and pressed something on his wrist. In one brilliant second, just before light flashed before his eyes, and a high whining built up in his ears, Daniel realized it was the Ring Transportation system.

Then he realized just how screwed he was.

It took nearly an hour- maybe even two- for the large group, consisting of the entire guest list at the barbecue, excluding General Hammond, who, stuck at Base, had planned to attend later on. With no-one to take her home, Cassandra had been forced to join the group in the truck, with the furtative promises of her mother to be allowed to play the Playstation in the VIP room with one of the airmen, later on. Jack, Sam and Teal'c had long since changed back into their fatigues, and Captain Swann had been wheeled, to his agitation, back to the Infirmary, with Janet declaring that he would be no use to SG-1 with a wound to his stomach and various other minor wounds, if the team were needed in a combat situation.

" Okay, what the hell is going on?" Jack groused bitterly as he, his stomach rumbling with hunger, hastily stormed into the Briefing Room, Carter, her hair- glittery and gelled for the party- tucked under a cap, equally as hungry. The two paused as they entered; Teal'c already stood, alongside General Hammond, Jacob Carter, Anise, Aldwin, two more Tok'ra members neither Jack nor Sam had seen before and... Jack's jaw dropped, and for a moment he forgot where he was as he rushed forward, and embraced the young man- a boy really- dressed in the Tok'ra robes, grinning briefly at him.

" Skaara," Sam cried in surprise, her eyes flitting uneasily back to her father and Teal'c. After Klorel had been removed from his body, and most probably killed, Skaara had stayed with the Tok'ra to aid them- occasionally visiting Abyos to see his Father, the Priest of their village.

" O'Neel," Skaara grinned, his thick Egyptian- or Abydan as Daniel would have corrected her- accent tainting his voice and words, " Major Carter, I did not think I would be seeing you again!" In the year Daniel had remained on Abydos, and in the year Skaara had spent with the Tok'ra, his English had improved dramatically, and Sam couldn't help but duck her head to give a small, proud smile.

Jack's grin faded as he composed himself, and faced the small gathering in the room. Every single face was emotionless, only the sad eyes of General Hammond belying the notion that this was a social gathering.

"What?" he demanded, self-consciously.

" The Tok'ra brought us some rather grave news concerning Doctor Jackson and Osiris," General Hammond, as always, began, his voice world-weary. Sam stiffened and Jack actually paled, repeating his earlier greeting of "What?"

" I'm afraid," Selmac said- Jacob's voice echoing hollowly, a metallic ring to it, in the room, " that Osiris has initiated an attack against Apophis, and as Tanith told us-" Teal'c actually let out a growl- " Doctor Jackson has been captured by Apophis." All the color leeched from Sam's face, a cry of denial rising in her throat, and next to her, Jack, usually so mild with his language, swore viciously, prompting a glare from General Hammond.

" We believe," Aldwin added, his voice a little weak, as if he was deeply troubled, " that Tanith betrayed Daniel- shooting Osiris with a zatnikitel, and then took Daniel to Apophis."

Jack, his face pale, but his voice steady and harsh, snapped across the table, " Then we have to do something! That son of a bitch hates Daniel! He'll slaughter him."

" And revive him to do it again," Sam added dully, her blue eyes sparking with defiance, her chin raised. Teal'c did not speak, his eyes burning with fury, and Sam thought she heard him mutter, "Tanith will pay for this," although she couldn't be sure.

" We know," one of the unknown Tok'ra, who had visited Earth when Anise had come to them with the Atenik armbands, said in a metallic voice. " Which is why we are proposing a strategic rescue. Tanith has prop-"

Teal'c suddenly stood, his chair scraping backwards violently.

" Tanith is a murderer and a traitor!" he snapped.

The Tok'ra man actually cowered for a brief second; a second in which Selmac frowned, and continued where he had left off.

" We know Teal'c," he- or she- said gently, " but Tanith would not do anything stupid to betray the Tok'ra apart from taking Doctor Jackson. Although he doesn't know who they are, he does know of other Tok'ra members who work for Apophis. He knows they will slaughter him if he betrayed the Tok'ra in any obvious way." Teal'c did not speak, move, just glowering, breathing heavily, fists clenching and unclenching.

" Which is why we've decided to offer you a proposal," Anise cut in, staring at them warily. She knew of their hatred of her, and as much as it hurt the Tok're woman, there was little she could do about it. " You shall be presented to Apophis- prisoners of Tanith. With either Tanith's- or the help of the other Tok'ra spies, you will rescue Doctor Jackson, and then Gate back to Vorash." She winced. " We cannot anticipate how long this will take, so you must expect torture."

Jack grimaced, thinking back to a few months ago.

Been there, done that, he thought darkly, Mackenzie's gonna have a field day once this is over.

Sam was staring at Anise in horror, as if the Tok'ra had grown an extra head in the last few seconds.

"Is that all?" she finally asked, aghast. Jack winced again, straightened, and sent Carter a sharp look when the Tok'ra remained silent. They all seemed to be expecting him to say something.

" Fine," he said bitterly, " we leave tomorrow morning. And this time," he scowled at Anise, " Your plan had better work. I won't leave this time without Daniel or anyone from my team, do you understand?"

Anise nodded.

End of Part Five.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Debbie Louise Gough