Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mind Games

by Chiana Star
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mind Games

Mind Games

by Chiana_star

MIND GAMES.
Author: Chiana_star
Email:chiana_star@hotmail.com
Status: complete
Category: Romance (S/J), Drama, Action-adventure.
Spoilers: None
Season/Sequel: None
Rating: PG-13
Content warnings: torture
Summary: Sam is tortured and Jack can do nothing to help her.
Disclaimer: Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Shwotime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.
Author's Notes: I would really appreciate any feedback. This is my first fanfic and I know it's a bit rushed so sorry but please any feedback is welcome. Just don't burn me down.

"Sg-1. As you may have heard by now, SG-7 has not returned from their mission. They were due to check in ten hours ago but we have failed to establish any communication with them. A MALP was sent through to the planet and what you are now seeing is the data transmitted back to us by the MALP." General Hammond glanced around the room as he spoke, focusing intently on Jack O'Neill, SG-1 commanding officer.

"God. Cally?"

"We have no information as to the current whereabouts or status of SG-7, Colonel. What you are seeing is all we know at the present time." Jack stared at the television monitor as images of dead men and women filled the screen. Flames and smoke continued to rise upwards as the devastation the village had suffered became clear.

"The wounds appear consistent with a staff weapon." Teal'c supplied. Daniel Jackson was watching Jack, as was Sam Carter. Both knew that Jack's current girlfriend, Cally Morris, was a member of SG-7 and as of now was firmly M.I.A.

"Sg-7 were sent on a routine fact finding mission to P3X-583. Scans of the planet had indicated that there were vast deposits of naquada, apparently free of Goa'uld invasion. Their mission was to begin negotiations with the local population to access this naquada. Early communications with SG-7 indicated that the people were friendly and willing to talk. As of thirteen hundred hours they are ten hours overdue for their check in. People, you can see what has happened to the villagers. SG-1, you have permission to go to P3X-583 and find out what happened. I want you to bring back our people."

"You can count on it, General." Jack said through clenched teeth. Cally was out there and he was determined that he would bring her home.

Sam watched Jack intently as he walked out of the room. She stood up slowly, confused. She hated seeing Jack like this yet she was slightly relieved. She knew how hateful that was, that she was relieved that Jack's girlfriend was missing, probably dead, but she was in love with him herself. She had been in love with him for forever or so it seemed. Yet, with regulations and Jack's own feelings, she knew there was no future in that kind of thinking and so she had slowly but determinedly pushed all romantic thoughts of Jack to the back of her mind. Yet just looking into his deep chocolate brown eyes, and seeing his muscular physique outlined in those black regulation T-shirts and she was hopelessly in love all over again. Who would have thought it? Major Sam Carter, career military, tomboy, in love and so weak-kneed with it. Her friends would laugh at her, she thought as she went to change. Still, she didn't like Cally anyway and it was precisely because she was Jack's girlfriend. They had had a big confrontation about three months ago when Jack had thrown a barbecue at his house. Cally had cornered Sam in the kitchen and warned her to stay away from Jack. She had pointed out to Sam in no uncertain terms, that Jack was hers and was always going to be hers. Jack thought nothing of his Major and never would, Cally had told Sam in a hard voice. Finally, Cally had threatened Sam by telling her that she would report Sam to General Hammond claiming harassment if she didn't back off and spend less time with Jack. Sam had been shocked by the incident. She spent no more time with Jack lately than she had in the last three years. They were good friends and team mates, having gone through so much together. She had not realised that to everyone, excluding Jack, that it was blindingly obvious she was in love with him. She pushed all negative thoughts of Cally from her mind and told herself that for Jack's sake, she would bring Cally home safely.

"SG-1 you have a go." General Hammond's voice echoed through the gateroom. Sg-1 nodded their understanding and proceeded through the gate. In less than two seconds they were on the other side, staring sadly at the lifeless bodies strewn all around them. There were no survivors, that much was clear.

"Carter, Daniel. Check over there. Teal'c you're with me. Check for survivors and any evidence that Sg-7 and Cally were here."

"Yes sir." Carter replied, walking in the opposite direction to Jack. In front of her was a smouldering ruin that appeared to have once been a school. Books and toys lay charred in the ruins. Sam felt tears spring into her eyes and hurriedly brushed them away.

"Sam, are you OK?"

"I'm fine Daniel. I just thought of those poor children and it's hard to remain detached. You know." She looked at Daniel and a small smile came to her lips. Daniel nodded at her and walked in front of her before turning back to face her.

"Yeah. I, um, actually meant more generally. With Jack and Cally and that kind of thing."

"We have to find her Daniel. And Sg-7. For Jack."

"What about you? How do you feel? I know you're in love with him and I know how much this must hurt you, seeing him trying to find Cally."

"I don't know what you mean Daniel. I'm not in love with Jack."

"You just called him Jack. I rest my case. I just want to make sure you're all right Sam. I care about you." He smiled at her and continued to walk towards a building left untouched.

"Daniel. Thank you." Sam called out to him but barely had the sounds left her mouth when she felt a burning sensation in her chest. The last thing she saw before hitting the ground was the look of shock and pure horror on Daniel's face.

"Sam? Sam? Come on, Sam. Wake up. Please." Daniel gently shook her shoulders. She had been unconscious for nearly two hours and he was beginning to get a little worried. He knew Jack and Teal'c were OK, he could see them in the cell opposite. They had a few minor cuts and abrasions but nothing serious.

"How's she doing, Daniel? She awake yet?" Jack shouted through the bars of his cell. He was also beginning to get a little concerned. He had heard Daniel scream out her name when she was hit by the gun blast. He and Teal'c had been there in less than a minute and had seen Sam lying motionless on the floor, her chest a bloody mess. He had felt his heart stop when he had seen her, he had felt numb until he had heard her moan. Thanking God, he realised that she was still alive. Looking at Daniel, he had seen no wounds and was about to command him to move out but it had only been a matter of seconds before the rest of SG-1 had been struck by weapons fire. When he had awoken he had been in the cell with Teal'c. He could see Daniel and Sam directly opposite him but there was nothing he could do to get to her. Daniel had told him she was still unconscious but he felt so hopeless. He prayed to God that she would be all right. He couldn't lose her. Not now. He was in love with her. He was in love with his Major, in love with her beautiful blue eyes and her brilliant smile. Yes, technically he might be going out with another woman but he had never loved anyone in the way that he loved Samantha Carter. He had tried to fool himself that he felt nothing for her by accepting a date with Cally, but although he truly liked Cally he felt nothing for her. All his love he had kept hidden for Sam, hidden because of regulations and because she was career military and he hadn't wanted to leave SG-1.

"She's waking up." Daniel suddenly shouted. Jack rushed to the bars, and began shouting back at Daniel.

"How is she? Is she OK? Daniel? Sam?"

Daniel ignored Jack for the time being and focused his attention on Sam. He had examined her earlier and although she had lost a large amount of blood, the wound was not serious. She was weak but she would survive.

"Hi. How are you feeling?"

"Um, like hell. Where's Colonel O'Neill?"

"I'm behind you, Sam. You OK?"

"Well, I don't think I'll be bungee jumping anytime soon but yeah, I'm OK." She replied, trying to sit up at the same time. Seeing her difficulty, Daniel helped to move her. It had not escaped his notice that Jack had called her Sam nor had he failed to notice the relieved smile that appeared when she spoke. It appeared that Jack was of the same mind as Sam.

"About time, too." Daniel thought to himself.

"Jack? Jack? Is that you?" A female voice suddenly pierced through the air.

"Cally? Where are you? Are you hurt?" Jack said, trying to look through his bars but failing to see anything apart from Sam and Daniel in front of him.

"I'm in some kind of cell. No I'm OK. Lieutenant Jacobs and Kessler are here with me. Powers was killed."

"What happened? Do you know where we are?" Jack was trying to concentrate on Cally but all he could see was Sam wincing every time she tried to move. "Oh for crying out loud, Sam. Sit still."

Sam looked at him in shock but at least she was still. Then a smile appeared on her face, that beautiful smile he loved so much and he forgot what he was doing.

"Jack?" Cally's voice shouted. "We were finishing negotiations with the Galla's when we were attacked. We didn't see who attacked us but the villagers were all killed. We were taken here."

"What happened to Powers?" "He was killed by our attackers. They took him away for something and he never came back. You could hear his screams, Jack. It was awful." Jack noticed that she had said all that without so much as her voice breaking or quivering once.

"What did they want from him?" "I don't know. They just came and took him."

His head turned as he heard someone coming towards them. He watched horrified as a robed figure stopped in front of Sam and Daniel. Two other robed figures came up behind him and opened up the cell door.

"No. No. Leave her alone. Stop it." He screamed as he watched the men hit Daniel and knock him to the floor, before grabbing Sam. They hauled her out of the cell and took her away. The man turned towards Jack.

"You son of a bitch. Don't you dare hurt her. I'll kill you if you touch her. Do you hear me? I'll kill you." The man looked at him and smiled.

"I do not fear your threats, human. What harm do you think you can do to me in there? Jaffa, do you know me?"

"No. I do not." Teal'c replied, moving forward.

"Perhaps you will know my name. Kelos. Ah I see you do. Then please, inform your friend of who I am and what I can do." Kelos nodded at Teal'c and walked away.

"What the hell. Teal'c? Care to tell me what that bastard is going to do to Sam." He moved so close to Teal'c that Teal'c had to take a step back. He could see how highly agitated his friend was and he knew the reason why. He was in love with her but he could not help him now. He could only cause him further pain.

"Jack? What happened?" Cally shouted down to him.

"They got Sam. That's what happened." "Oh no. I'm sorry."

"Er Jack. Calm down. Let Teal'c tell us what he knows. Teal'c."

"Thank you Daniel Jackson. Kelos is what you would call a mercenary. He tortures people for information and does it in the name of anyone who pays him. Many Goa'uld have hired him to extract information that they require from innocent people. He is a master and feared by many."

"Any idea why he is here?"

"He tortured Lieutenant Powers and now has taken Major Carter."

"Lieutenant Powers? I'm sorry, I don't know much about him?" Daniel said aloud. Lieutenant Kessler began to tell him about Powers. They learned little about the man. Still something was bothering Daniel.

"What was his last assignment?"

"I believe it was with the Tok'ra. He went off world for about three months."

"Oh my God, Jack. That's it." Daniel exclaimed. "Powers and Sam have one thing in common. What is it?"

"The Tok'ra, Daniel Jackson."

"Exactly, Teal'c. Powers spent three months with them and Sam still has Jolinar's memories inside her. Kelos must be searching for something to do with the Tok'ra. I bet..." He didn't finish his sentence because suddenly there was a loud, anguished scream. It lasted for what seemed an eternity and was immediately replaced by another one. Daniel looked at Jack who appeared shaken. Sam's screams pierced through the stone walls and were heartbreaking.

"Leave her alone." Jack screamed at Kelos, although it was in vain. Kelos could not hear him. Daniel began pacing, he couldn't stand it. He knew Sam. He knew she was strong but Kelos, from what Teal'c had told them was a professional. "Hold on Sam. Be strong." He thought.

A robed figure suddenly appeared out of nowhere, causing Daniel to gasp.

"I am Talis of the Tok'ra. I will explain everything once I have released you. Follow me to the doorway and I will try and get you out of here."

"We're not going anywhere without Sam."

"Yes. Samantha Carter. I will see what I can do but you will all die if you do not leave now."

Talis opened each of the cell doors and Cally raced to Jack where she hugged him.

"You must follow me. Come." Talis led them to a deserted corridor. They passed several rooms, each of which had contained a robed figure lying on the floor, surround by candles. Finally they came to a closed door. Jack knew that Sam was behind that door. He began to move forward and Teal'c followed him.

"Take Cally and the others and get them out of here. We'll see you outside."

"Good luck Jack." Cally smiled.

"I'm staying, Jack. She's my friend too."

He nodded at Daniel and the three men opened the door. Daniel gasped as he saw Sam bound and chained her back to them. Her back bore marks of excessive whippings and her hair was matted with blood. Jack scanned the room and saw a red-hot poker lying discarded on the floor. It was then he noticed the burns down Sam's legs.

"You bastard. I warned you not to hurt her." Jack screamed as he pointed the zat gun that Talis had given him at Kelos. Kelos looked up and smiled at Jack. Jack smiled back, simultaneously firing at Kelos until he had completely evaporated. Daniel and Teal'c were attempting to undo Sam's chains.
"She's still alive. We have to get her out of here now." Daniel motioned for Jack to follow him. Teal'c was carrying Sam in his arms. She opened her eyes and saw Teal'c looking down at her.

"Rest Major Carter. We will soon have you home."

They made it to the outside with no incident. No robed figures left their rooms to try and stop them. All three men found that extremely worrying. There should have been some return fire. In fact the whole thing had been too easy.

"Ok. That was just too easy. Something's wrong here?"

"O'Neill. Perhaps now would be a good time to tell you that Kelos does not inflict physical torture."

"What do you mean Teal'c?"

"Kelos prefers to mentally torture his victims. He inflicts great suffering on people by taking their fears and amplifying them. It is you, O'Neill who is being tortured. Not Major Carter. This is your fear. Major Carter wounded, tortured whilst you are helpless. Your rescue of Major Carter is not real."

"I don't understand."

Jack spun round and stared at Teal'c, only it wasn't Teal'c who stood there. It was Kelos. He was laughing at Jack and then Jack understood. Kelos was trying to extract information using the one thing he knew could hurt Jack. Hurting Sam. Cally had not been hurt yet she was the one who was his lover. Kelos had known that he was in love with Sam.

"What do you want?"

"The codes to Earth, your tactical defenses, the location of the Tok'ra. The knowledge of the ancients. I want everything that is in your brain, Jack. You have shown me now what you fear most. I will have no trouble in getting anything I want from you."

"Don't be too sure about that. I may be in love with Sam but I would sacrifice her for the good of Earth."

"Are you willing to prove that claim."

Jack wasn't sure if he was. He was mentally weak and that was how Kelos wanted him. God help him now.

"Let me see. Major Carter. How nice of you to join us. Here Jack wants you to have this." Jack winced as Kelos threw a thunderbolt at Sam. It caught her in the chest and she fell to the floor. She writhed in agony as blood began to pour from her chest.

"Jack. Don't tell him anything." She mumbled, her face contorted in pain.

"Some more, Jack." Kelos raised his hands and with a gesture Sam was picked up off the ground and thrown against a crumbling rock face. She hit it so hard rocks began to break loose and fall down upon her.

"This isn't real. This isn't real." Jack began to repeat to himself. He knew that this was all in his mind and he just had to block it out. In his Black Ops days he had been through much worse physical torture but then that hadn't involved the woman he loved.

"Isn't it, Jack? Are you so sure about that? Well, shall we test that theory out? Let me see..." Jack quickly looked up and saw Kelos fade in and out of his mind. Kelos stopped talking suddenly and a look of fear flashed across his face. Jack smiled and began to concentrate even harder.

"This isn't real. This isn't real. I love you Sam. I love you Sam." Kelos began to scream.

"No. No. You can't do this. NO." Suddenly there was silence. Opening his eyes, Jack realised that no-one was there. He had won.

"Jack? Jack?" Daniel said gently, shaking his shoulders. He had been unconscious for two hours, ever since Kelos had brought him back. Finally he was beginning to wake up, muttering something about Sam.

"Danny?" Daniel smiled as Jack's eyes opened fully.

"O'Neill. I am pleased to see you awake."

"Thanks Teal'c. Where's Sam?"

"Right here, sir." He turned and looked at Sam. She looked breathtakingly beautiful and he couldn't see any serious wounds, apart from a slight grazer on her stomach. "Are you OK? You had us pretty worried there for a minute."

"I'm OK now. What happened?"

"We were attacked as we stepped through the gate on P3X-198. When we awoke we were here. There's some kind of psychopath here named Kelos. He's been trying to get us to reveal all our knowledge by some kind of mind hypnosis. He's entered each of our minds and caused us to live out our worst fears. You've been out the longest."

"Everyone OK? Good. How are we going to get out of here."

As the words left his lips, the door to the cell opened. Jack looked at Sam who shook her head in confusion. Teal'c and Daniel gave the same responses. Helping Jack to his feet, Sam relished the close contact. Kelos had played on her fear of losing Jack and she had been so scared that he wouldn't wake up. She needed that physical contact with him now to prove he was real. Jack too, was enjoying touching her.

"Let's move out campers." Sam led whilst the others helped Jack. He was still groggy from the mind games. They quickly made their way to the outside, not stopping once. As they were about to leave, a voice suddenly bellowed from inside the building.

"I have been impressed with you SG-1. You are all very strong and brave. You have my admiration. May your journeys continue. I hope that we will never meet again for next time you will not win."

They all looked at each other and smiled. No one said anything, not even when they stepped through the gate. They made their way silently to the infirmary glancing once at General Hammond as they passed through.

Two weeks had passed since that incident. Jack had spent those weeks out in the real world. The first thing that he had done was to tell Cally that he didn't think they were right for each other. She had never gone through the gate to P3X-593 or even through the gate. All that had been an illusion as well. The only real thing that had emerged from the nightmare was his feelings for Sam, which he didn't know how to deal with. He wanted to tell her but he knew she didn't feel the same, especially for an older, weather beaten man who was sarcastic and grumpy. She was young and vibrant. She needed someone like that. He didn't want to lose her friendship either.

Sam leant against the sofa in the mess room as she talked to Janet about what had happened on the planet. She and Janet kept no secrets from each other and Janet had long guessed how Sam felt about her commanding officer. "You have to tell him, Sam."

"What about the regs, Janet. Do you think I should just forget them, forget SG-1 and my career?"

"General Hammond can sort something out, it's his base. For God's sake, everyone knows how you feel about each other. Yes, each other. You can see that he feels the same way."

"Don't be silly Janet. He doesn't love me."

"Ok. If you want to believe that." Janet left her friend thinking about her last comment as she went back to the infirmary.

"Daniel. You can't be serious? Me in love with Sam?" Jack paced around Daniel's lab as the anthropologist studied him.

"Oh come on Jack. You want to tell me what your nightmare was that Kelos gave you. 10-1 it was about Sam. You're in love with her. Anyone can see that. You should talk to her about it."

"I am not in love with Sam, Daniel. Can't you get it through that thick head of yours? I do not love her."

Daniel just shrugged and returned to his books. He knew, everybody knew, that Sam and Jack were in love with each other. They were made for each other and they were just too pig headed to admit it.

"What happened?"

"What do you mean what happened?"

"What did you see? What made you mumble Sam when you came around?"

Jack stopped pacing and face Daniel. Oh what the hell, he was his friend. He could tell him.

"Ok. It was about Sam. You happy now? We went to rescue SG-7 from something. We got there and Sam got blasted in the chest. When she woke up, Kelos came and tortured her. Red-hot pokers, whips you name it. It shook me up. I couldn't help her Daniel. She was dying and I couldn't help her."

"So you're in love with her?"

"Yes. What can I do about it though? She won't want me. And the regs. Gotta love those regs."

"Why don't you tell me?" A voice floated through the air. Daniel turned around and saw Sam in the doorway. He smiled and excused himself. Jack stood motionless in the centre of the floor, his back to Sam.

"Well. I'm waiting."

Jack turned around and stared into her bright, shining blue eyes. She had a small smile on her face and at that moment he thought she had never look more beautiful.

"Kelos made me think you were dying, Jack. I thought I had lost you and that hurt me so badly. I love you Jack."

His mouth dropped open as he heard the words that he had longed to hear. This stunning, intelligent woman was telling him she loved him.

"I...I." Sighing, she moved towards him, took his face in his hands and bending his head towards her she placed her lips on his. Slowly he began to respond until they were kissing passionately. His hands moved up her back as he pressed her into him. He had waited for this moment forever. After what seemed a lifetime, he released her. He stared into her eyes and smiled.

"I love you too Sam."

"About time. Just remember who said it first."

"What about the regs?"

"Like a very good friend once told me, this is General Hammond's base and he knows we're in love already."

"Really?" "Yes. Apparently everyone does. So what's stopping us? We'll be discreet of course but I love you Jack. Really love you."

"Not as much as me."

"Oh I know you love you but what about me?" He playfully hit her and silenced her with a kiss. It had taken a nightmare placed into their minds to bring them together but now they were together and it was where they were supposed to be. Jack and Sam. Together forever. Everybody thought so.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Chiana_star