Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

You Are

by Cat Evans
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You Are

You Are

by Cat Evans

Title: You Are
Author: Cat Evans
Email: mith_kitten@hotmail.com
Category: Song/Filk, Humor, Romance
Pairing: Sam/Jack, Daniel/Janet
Season: any
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: mf relationship
Status: Completed
Summary: Just a little fun at the SGC Christmas party
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of MGM etc. "You Are" is sung by Atomic Kitten and I don't own that either. Not to be archived without my permission but drop us an email and I'll let ya!
Author's notes: Okay, this is my first attempt at a Stargate fanfic so be nice and any feedback would be great so tell me what you think!

Sam and Janet entered the large hall and took a moment to take everything in. The SGC had really out done themselves this year. Usually the annual SGC Christmas party was full of dullness and speeches, well not this year. As their eyes slowly swept round the hall they noticed lots of decorations, a bar, a stage and a karaoke machine.

"Maybe the party won't be as dull this year, look, there's the guys," Janet said pointing to a table near the middle of the hall where Daniel and Jack were sitting. "Come on," she continued tugging at Sam's arm.

"Okay okay, I'm coming," Sam protested. "So, how's things going between you and Daniel then?"

"Quite good thanks. So, when you gonna tell Jack the truth?"

"Erm ... the regs Janet. It's not allowed remember!"

"And ... "

"Janet, I don't wanna lose my job"

"Sam, you've gotta take the risk one day"

"I'm not even sure of what I want or how I feel. Let's just leave it at that okay?"

"Sure."

They approached the table.

"Evening ladies." Daniel said and gave Janet the warmest smile humanly possible. He held out his arms to Janet and she accepted his warm embrace. Sam looked at them both with a hint of green in her eyes. Ever since Janet and Daniel had finally decided to take their relationship a step further they had both seemed so much happier and relaxed. She envied their happiness but was also very happy for them at the same time. She glanced over at Jack who was calmly sipping a beer. His eyes met hers and he put his beer down.

"Evening Carter."

"Evening Sir."

"Off duty Carter, drop the 'Sir'."

"Yes Si ... Jack." She corrected herself and took the seat directly opposite him. "Where's Teal'c? I thought he was gonna come this year!"

"Nah, Christmas parties aren't his kinda thing."

"Fair enough."

As dinner was served and slowly eaten the topic of conversation at SG-1's table ranged from recent missions to music to rumours and gossip. Every now and again a song would creep above their conversation, as the karaoke was becoming more and more popular. As she ate her meal Sam kept letting her eyes slowly drift over to Jack, who was trying his best to follow the conversation whenever it turned technical. She tried to focus back on the conversation, which had now turned musical. Jack glanced at Sam and looked at her for a moment. He had been all too aware that she had been looking at him a few minutes earlier and decided that it was only fair for him to do the same. She started to turn back to face him and he quickly diverted his gaze to his food. He glanced back up to see General Hammond walking towards their table.

"Problem Sir?" Jack asked cautiously.

"Yes there is Colonel. I'm very disappointed to hear that no one from SG-1 has volunteered to sing a karaoke song."

"Why would you be disappointed to hear that no one from SG-1 has volunteered to sing. I thought you would be glad that none of us has volunteered."

"Didn't you hear my rule? At least one member from every SG team has to sing!"

"Erm ... I don't think so Sir, if it's all the same to you."

"Do you want me to make it an order Colonel?"

"Fine. Sam'll do it, she's got the best voice out of all of SG-1."

"Sir with all due respect, you can't make me sing. I can't sing anyway."

"Yes you can Sam. Every time you're at my house you never stop singing. You've got the best singing voice I've ever heard." Janet said and received a piercing look from Sam.

"Carter, do I have to make that an order?" Jack said jokingly.

"Okay, I'll do it. But do I get to choose the song?"

"Songs are chosen for you at random Major." General Hammond turned and began to walk away. He stopped and turned back towards the table. "By the way, you're up next!"

"Oh for cryin' out loud." Sam muttered under her breath and began to walk to the stage.

"Evening Major Carter."

"Evening Lieutenant Rio."

"I see you've been dragged in to the singing."

"Yeah," Sam said "What song have I got stuck with then?"

"This one," Lieutenant Rio said, pointing to the track name on the CD cover. "You want the lyrics projected on the TV screen?"

"No thanks, I know the lyrics. Just let's get this over and done with please."

"Sure." Lieutenant Rio placed the CD in the player and handed Sam the microphone. Sam stood centre stage and looked over at the rest of SG-1 as she waited for the track to start. She saw Jack whisper something to Daniel, which got her thinking. The first notes of the song hit out through the speakers and Sam started to sing right on cue.

Maybe you think you're not right for me
That you'll never be everything I need
Well I'll tell you straight from my heart
You are you are

If you don't think you've got the pedigree
That you're not someone who can talk to me
Well I'll tell you straight from my heart
You are you are

"My God, she's not reading the lyrics! She knows it off by heart!" Janet whispered to Daniel.

"Makes you wonder how many times she's sung it." Daniel looked sideways at Jack. Jack was completely drawn in to Sam's voice, looking directly at her and looking kinda hypnotised. "Well," he said turning back to Janet. "It's working." He looked back and Daniel moved so that Janet could see the hypnotic state that Jack was in.

You are you are my reason You are the air I'm breathing Ask who's in my heart you are you are

"Maybe we should've chosen a different song Daniel. If these two find out what we've done they'll kill us both!"

Sam was singing the song half-heartedly staring at the guy's back at the table. She could see Janet and Daniel whispering to each other, hopefully not complaining about her singing. She diverted her attention to Jack and saw that he was looking straight at her. Their eyes locked and it finally clicked with Sam. "My God Sam," she said to herself "Have you only just realised that you love your CO like crazy? How slow ARE you? Jeez!" "But ... the regulations. I can't, I'm not allowed," she argued back at herself. "Ah screw the regs. You know you want it." By the time the second verse started, Sam had a plan in her mind. She quickly checked that she had a radio mic and started to execute her plan.

If ever I wanted to run away
I'd only go if you would come with me
'Cause no one can talk to my heart
Like you are you are

Sam jumped off the edge of the stage and keeping her eyes fixed on Jack's, starting walking straight towards him. She paused to pick up a piece of mistletoe from a nearby table and carried on walking.

Oh, if I do for you what you do for me
If I'm on your mind every time you sleep
Say the words and no matter how far
I'll be where you are

She now stood right in front of Jack.

You are you are my reason
You are the air I'm breathing
Ask who's in my heart you are you are

She crouched down to her knees right in front of Jack; still keeping her eyes fixed on his.

Ooh I wish you'd ask me how I feel
I'd say that I'm infatic
Ooh and when you're near to me
This urgency is automatic
Ooh you're my addiction boy
And I don't want to break the habit
I'd say that you're in my heart You're in my heart

Sam held the mistletoe above his head and leaned in closer.

You are you are my reason
You are the air I'm breathing
Ask who's in my heart you are you are

Sam started to gently sway in time with her music, her eyes never leaving Jack's.

Maybe you think you're not right for me
That you'll never be everything I need
Well I'll tell you straight from my heart
You are you are

If you don't think you've got the pedigree
That you're not someone who can talk to me
Well I'll tell you straight from my heart
You are you are

She stood up for the last chorus, letting Jack's eyes follow her.

You are you are my reason
You are the air I'm breathing
Ask who's in my heart you are you are

The song faded out leaving the room in silence. Jack continued to look at Sam. Sam broke the eye contact and looked up at the mistletoe.

"You know what that means don't you ... "

"Yeah I do," Jack answered back softly. Sam lowered herself back down and Jack leaned in to her. Their lips met and for that moment there were just the two of them. Each absorbed in to each other; they broke apart to find every one on their feet clapping and cheering. Lieutenant Rio took the microphone from Sam as she took her seat across the table from Jack.

"You two had something to do with that, didn't you?" Sam asked Daniel and Janet.

"We ... might've had a little something to do with it" Daniel said hesitantly.

"Sam, you HAVE got an incredible voice. That was amazing!" Janet commented.

"Thanks Janet."

"Just having a bit of fun, weren't you Danny boy!" Jack said. Daniel nodded, not knowing whether Jack was serious or not. They finished their drinks in silence. The evening ended quickly with no other interruptions.

"We're going now guys so we'll see you tomorrow at the SGC." Janet said.

"Yeah, night guys" Daniel added.

"Night Daniel, night Janet." Sam said.

"Bright and early Daniel, don't be late for the debriefing!" Jack warned. Daniel smiled and walked out of the hall.

"Well" said Sam, "I'd better go and call a cab or I'll never get home."

"Call a cab? Didn't you drive here then?"

"No. Janet picked me up after work and we walked from her house. She only lives fifteen minutes away"

"Ah, I see. So, you wanna lift home?"

"That would be great ... if you don't mind that is."

"Nah, its no problem. I almost go passed your house on my way home anyway. It'll only be a slight detour."

They both walked to his jeep and Jack started to drive to Sam's house. He looked over at her a few times during the journey; she was staring out of her window, not saying anything. He decided to leave her in peace. Eventually he pulled up and stopped just outside her house.

"There you go." Jack said.

"Thanks. Wanna walk me to the front door?"

"Sure, why not." They both got out the car and walked to her front door. Jack started to speak so Sam turned to face him.

"Well, I don't think I've ever been to an SGC Christmas party and been that much entertained in my life." Jack said jokingly.

"I bet." Sam answered quietly. She looked up in to his eyes. "So ... do you wanna come in?"

"That depends, am I really in your heart?"

Sam leaned in closer and quietly sang "You are you are."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Cat Evans