Whispers in the Dark von Emagen Laile

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Merry and the rest of Sheppard's team go to the ice planet, where they make an unsettling discovery.
Chapter Two
Ice Planet

The first thing Merry noticed when they stepped through the gate was the snow. It seemed to go on for miles, gentle rolling waves of whiteness that changed with every gust of wind.

The second was the light.

The sun, hazy through the clouds overhead, was still bright enough to blind. Sighing, John pulled out sunglasses and motioned for the others to do the same.

“Well, Rodney, at least you’ll get a nice tan.”

McKay scowled under his hood. “Not quite what I had in mind, Colonel, but I suppose you do the best you can.”

John raised a brow. “Let’s go this way. McKay, anything on the lifesigns detector?”

Rodney shook his head. “Not a blip. Why are we here anyway?”

Teyla started making her way forward, a long stick in her hands. “The database said that there was an observatory on this planet, and that the indigenous people had been wiped out long ago.”

Ronon snorted. “So, why are we here?”

John smirked; Merry could tell by the change in his voice. “Scientific exploration, Ronon. What else?” At the man’s raised brow, he continued. “And one of Teyla’s contacts said there’s been some recent activity here.”

They began to walk in the direction John had pointed, making their way carefully behind Ronon and Teyla, who both held long sticks and periodically poked the ground in front of them. Merry watched them for a while before realizing that she was becoming hypnotized by the snow.

John fell back to walk next to her. They didn’t speak, but every so often, when she tripped, he was there to steady her. She felt flattered, until Rodney threw him a dirty look and gave her a patronizing smirk. She just kept walking, trying to ignore the occasional touch from the handsome colonel, but it was difficult. Every time he touched her, she blushed.

She felt like an idiot; the last time she had reacted this way to a boy was in college, her freshman year. His name had been Robbie Corey, and he had been the captain of every sport, the head of all his classes, and the freshman class president. Every simple touch, on purpose or otherwise, had caused her heart to beat faster and her cheeks to blush.

She slipped and nearly fell into Teyla as they stopped to check the direction to the observatory. John caught her and hauled her to her feet. She laughed nervously and apologized to Teyla.

“I am so sorry. I seem to be a bit clumsy lately.”

Rodney nearly snorted, but John smacked his arm, almost discretely, to shut him up. He smiled at her.

“That’s alright, Merry. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you just slipped on some ice.”

Rodney really did snort this time. “Right.”

John gave him a look. “How far are we from the observatory, McKay?”

Rodney glanced down at the scanner and frowned. “Uh, about a half mile…that way.”

He pointed slightly to the side of the direction they were walking. John grinned and they began to move in that direction.

They could see the base of the ruined tower that had once housed the observatory. Rodney snorted and pointed it out, as if John couldn’t have seen it for himself. “Didn’t I tell you this was a waste of time?”

Ronon looked at Rodney and made no attempt to hide his smirk. “I don’t think you ever stopped, McKay.”

Rodney waved a hand at the larger man but ignored him.

“From the looks of it, this place was destroyed long ago.” Teyla had taken the time to stop the other scientists and draw them forward. “I see no sign of any recent activity. Ronon, do you?”

Ronon shook his head. “No, but there’s been a lot of snow recently. It could have covered the tracks.”

John pulled his team away from the other scientists. “I don’t like this.”

Teyla nodded. “I agree. I sense a trap here. We should get everyone back through the gate.”

Ronon shrugged. “I don’t think anyone’s here.”

Rodney nodded. “I kind of have to agree with the big guy. If anyone were here, I’d pick it up.”

John frowned. “Hibernating Wraith?”

Rodney’s eyes widened. “Oh. Right. Well, maybe we should just leave. You know, just in case.”

Teyla smiled, but John nodded seriously. “Of course, McKay. But we’re only doing this to protect the other scientists. This is totally for their sake.”

Rodney nodded importantly before walking back to the other group that stood just a few feet away. John took the opportunity to turn to Teyla and Ronon and make a face. Had he not done that, the arrow that thudded into the snow next to him might have lodged itself into his head.

He shouted and ordered Rodney to get the other scientists moving. He, Teyla, and Ronon turned to the direction that the arrow had come from and began to lay down cover fire, peppering the area with bullets. John glanced back at the scientists now running towards the gate, nearly a mile away. Merry was somewhere in the middle, and Rodney ran behind them, periodically checking for his team.

John and Teyla moved behind them, with Ronon blasting everything in sight. They couldn’t even see their enemy, hidden as they were beneath piles of snow and rock. The arrows came from everywhere; they were always accompanied by the staccato twang of a bowstring, so at least they had that little bit of warning.

They battled their way back to the gate with minor injuries- Doctor Reed had stumbled and twisted her ankle, and Rodney had a long cut on his face where he had been grazed by an arrow. Doctor Grayling, terrified but still the first to the gate, had dialed Atlantis and sent his personal IDC. He fumbled with his radio, but Carter’s voice rang out before he ever came close to hitting the button.

“What’s happening out there?”

Rodney stumbled and nearly took down Doctor Reed. “We’re under attack! Lower the shield!” His voice cracked a little on the last word, and it took forever for Carter’s anxious voice to crackle through the radio.

“The shield is down, McKay! Come on through! We have medical and security personnel waiting for you.”

Rodney shoved Doctor Reed through the wormhole. “On our way!” He clicked the radio again. “Sheppard! Gate’s open!”

John turned to Ronon and Teyla. “Make sure everyone gets through! I’ll cover your six. Move!”

Rodney and Merry stood at the event horizon, watching Teyla and Ronon run full out to the gate, Sheppard mere steps behind them. Arrows littered the path they cleared with their heavy boots, and Merry squinted as the sun reflected a sudden brilliant light against the snow.

McKay shouted and stumbled through the gate. Merry had opened her mouth in shock when she felt a sudden, stabbing pain in her gut. She bit back a scream as a heavy object brushed past her, knocking her away from the shimmering pool of the wormhole. She slipped on a bit of ice and fell again, slamming her head on the DHD.

The blessed darkness of unconsciousness feel over her like a blanket, and she knew no more.

*
John watched as Teyla and Ronon jumped through the event horizon, each letting loose a final blast from their guns at the approaching enemy. He could make out several hundred blurry shapes, most running quickly across the snow and firing arrows. A few were on low sleds pulled by something dog-like.

He growled in frustration as his foot slid, yet again, on another patch of ice. He was only a few feet from the gate when he heard a groan coming from beside the DHD. He took a second to look, and skidded to a halt. It was Merry; the pretty scientist was nearly unconscious, with a large, dark arrow protruding grotesquely from her stomach.

John scowled at the approaching enemy and raced to her side, slipping several times and once even falling on his hands and knees. He slid next to her, checking for a pulse quickly before putting his arm under her shoulder and lifting her bodily. She nearly screamed, and he took it as a good sign; at least she could still feel the pain.

They were within a few steps of the gate when it shut down. John’s eyes widened. His mumbled “Shit!” was whisked away by a sudden gust of wind. He lowered Merry gently to the ground and rushed back to the DHD.

His hand, shaking slightly, pushed the first symbol in and reached for the second. It took a few seconds before he realized that he was surrounded, dark arrows pointed at his face.
Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung: Please read and review! Next chapter up in two days!