Letters from Home Part 1 von Karabdai

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was that time again; the day the mail came was always a special day. The inhabitants of Atlantis gathered in the makeshift cafeteria and waited impatiently for the voice to come over the loudspeaker to call them to the gateroom for mail pickup. A letter or care package from home lifted the spirits of the folks who had been on Atlantis for 2 years. Most loved their jobs but it always felt nice to receive a little love from home; when the members of team had left for Atlantis they had instructed family and friends to send letters and care packages to a PO Box the SGC took care of. The first time the SGC had made contact they had sent through all the letters and care packages that had accumulated over the 8 months they had been out of contact. Ever since then they had regular contact with the SGC and regular deliveries were made every 3 months.

There was a crackling noise and Dr Weir's voice came over the speaker. "Attention please! We have a mail delivery for all personnel. Please head to the gateroom to receive your mail. Thanks for your patience."

Sheppard, Ford and Teyla were in the control room as Elizabeth made the announcement to the rest of the base. They had watched the delivery and been on hand for the report Elizabeth had given and watched as they had organized the packages for the easiest distribution. Elizabeth and Sheppard's team always got their mail last.

"Are you excited to be receiving mail, Aiden? " Teyla asked.

"Yeah, my grandparents said they were going to send me the latest Superman comics. I've been looking forward to that for quite a while."

"What are Superman comics?"

Sheppard cut in with his comment. "I don't know how you read those new comics, the classics are so much better."

"Now sir, the new Superman comics are far superior to...."

"Hey, have you seen Rodney? I have a report to give him." Elizabeth had walked up and cut off the Lieutenant before he could go on a long rant about comic books. She had heard these debates often enough over the months to stop them before they started.

"Haven't seen him, Elizabeth. I'll let him know you need him."

Elizabeth felt a slight flutter at his wording and pushed it away. She nodded at him. "Thanks John, I guess I better head down and help with the mail."

Sheppard nodded and turned back to Ford to continue their "discussion" about comics. Elizabeth headed down to the mail level and went to the pile of mail marked control room. That little flutter was coming more and more frequently now and she wasn't sure what to make of it. At first she thought it was from the MREs they sometimes ate to conserve food resources. But then the flutters had started every time someone mentioned Rodney. Something always seemed to come up and she never really had time to think about it or the inclination. She had been with Simon for so long it seemed unthinkable she might have some small feelings for some other man. Elizabeth put the flutters out of her mind.

She always looked forward to the letters she got from Simon, her parents, sister and a few of her colleagues from when she taught at the University. Her parents thought it was strange they only got a letter from her once every 3 months but Simon kept in touch with them so they never questioned her explanations. Letters from Simon were usually filled with how much he missed her and questions as to when she was coming back. The "when are you coming home" questions had started a year into the project and she was getting a little tired of them. She understood that he missed her but had thought he understood the great benefits to humanity this mission could bring and all that she was getting out of it. Nonetheless letters from home where very nice.

People had started to file into the gateroom by this time and were headed to their designated sections to pick up mail and packages. It was a good haul this time around and took 30 minutes to get everyone sorted out and back to their quarters and work stations with their new reading material.

Elizabeth grabbed the letters and the two packages that were addressed to her top team and dragged them back up to the control room where Ford and Sheppard were still arguing. The two packages were for Ford and Sheppard. She was slightly disappointed that she hadn't received a package from Simon. She had told him how much she looked forward to his packages; he had better have written an extra long letter to make up for this.

"I thought you guys would have come and gotten your mail by now."

"Sorry, we got sidetracked." Sheppard gave a dirty look to Ford and muttered, "Young uns." Ford was heard to mutter, "Old foggies."

"Here is your stuff, take it and get out of here." Elizabeth said with a shake of her head. "I'll take Rodney his when I find him about the report."

Sheppard grabbed the stack of mail and pulled out 4 letters and then grabbed one of the packages; Ford pulled the stack over to him and took 3 of the letters which left 5 in the pile and grabbed the other package. Teyla looked at the 2 men and took their arms and said, "Lets leave Elizabeth to read her letters in peace, you guys can show me all the things from Earth you were sent." She looked back at Elizabeth and winked as she led the 2 men off.

Elizabeth looked through the five letters that were sitting on the console in front of her; one from Simon, one from her parents, two from colleagues from the university and one from General O'Neill. She looked around the console and the table next to it. She was sure she had picked up Rodney's mail along with the rest of the team. Sheppard and the other two were still just inside the control room and she stopped them.

"Hey, can you two check to make sure you didn't accidentally grab Rodney's mail."

Both men looked at their envelopes and shook there heads. "Nope, just our stuff, Doc. Sorry." Elizabeth nodded at them and waved them off. Teyla looked back but Elizabeth just waved her off also. She looked down on the main level and saw that Peter was down with the last of the mail that had not been picked up because those people were off world or working in one of the labs.

"Peter, do you have Dr McKay's mail down there or did he pick it up already?"

"Let me take a look. I don't remember him picking up his mail down here. I thought I put team one's mail with yours and the rest of the personnel in the control room." He shuffled through the remaining letters and parcels and shook his head. "Nothing here for Dr McKay."

Elizabeth was perplexed now; she hated to tell Rodney she had lost his mail but there was nothing else for it. She took her letters, headed back to her office and sat at her desk. Now that she thought about it, it was strange that Rodney was not in the control room when they got the call from the SGC. He loved to be in the middle of the action and this was uncharacteristic for him to miss a chance to show off his new knowledge. Sometimes he got into arguments over the radio with Sam Carter about his new discoveries; Elizabeth often had to tell them to cut it short. She suspected that he wrote to Sam just to get into more arguments since they didn't have time over the wormhole. The thought of Sam and Rodney brought the flutters back and not in a good way.

Shaking off those thoughts Elizabeth got to her feet and headed toward Rodney's lab; she had some questions for the good doctor. She got to the door and knocked on the doorframe since the door was open. He seemed completely engrossed in something at his desk, but that was not unusual for him.

"Rodney, do you know what time it is?

Rodney jumped in his chair and spun around to face the door. "Elizabeth, you scared me. No, what time is it?"

"You missed the call from the SGC. I thought you had some things to report into them."

"I asked Zelenka to go in my place. I wanted to keep working on this. We found it last time out and it's really fascinating..."

"Yes, yes, I know you've told me about it." It was good to see him enthusiastic about stuff again. Previously he had seemed to sink into a depression. This had lasted for a month and if Elizabeth hadn't found the culprit, an Ancient device that was designed to be a relaxation device Rodney could have had permanent damage. That was three weeks ago. He had gotten better within a week and was back on duty terrorizing the others. Also, she knew that once he got started on an explanation he would be almost impossible to stop.

"Zelenka was there but I thought you liked to talk to them, plus you missed mail call."

"Oh, that." He turned back to his desk and fiddled with some of the wires that were sticking out of the object he was working with.

"Yes, that, I have some bad news. I seem to have misplaced your mail. I'm sure someone just picked it up by accident and they'll bring it to you as soon as they see they have it."

"Don't worry about it, Elizabeth." he said in a monotone voice.

Elizabeth nodded and looked at him. He sounded strange but she figured it was probably something to do with what he was working on. She was anxious to read her mail so she cut her visit short after relaying her news.

"See you at dinner then."

He nodded and went back to work.

---------

Dinner that night was MREs. Rodney was thrilled. Everyone else was tolerant; luckily they only had to eat the things twice a week. Elizabeth sat with Rodney, Sheppard and Teyla; Ford seemed to be off with one of female scientists.

Sheppard and Rodney were arguing about the next planet to go to.

"But I think we need to look at getting more trading partners so we have some options..."

"No, no, I'm tired of people using us for something and then cutting us loose when it serves them. I say we need to find more ZPMS to power the shields..."

"All right gentlemen, I think that's enough for one night. We can have this argument tomorrow at the staff meeting. Can't we have one meal were we eat like civilized human beings."

Both men look chastened but Teyla looked gratefully at Elizabeth.

"Did you receive news from Simon in your letters?" Teyla asked.

"Yes, he wrote a brief note. It was a bit disappointing but he said he had been busy and he would write more next month. He said my dog is doing fine and that's the important part, right?"

Teyla laughed and turned and asked Sheppard about his package.

Elizabeth looked at Rodney. "Did anyone ever bring you're your mail?"

Rodney shook his head and changed the subject. They talked about random pieces of gossip until they finished eating and then he said he had to go back to his lab. He got up from the table and after saying goodbye to Sheppard and Teyla left. Elizabeth turned to the other two and asked the question that had started plaguing her after Rodney avoided talking about the mail again.

"Have you ever seen Rodney get mail, John?"

"Now that you mention it, I've never seen him with mail while we've been at Atlantis. He changes the subject whenever I ask if he got any letters from his parents or Col Carter. Maybe he just likes reading them in private. He's afraid we'll ask about all his women."

Teyla smacked John on the arm. "Be nice to Rodney."

"Hey, that hurt!"

"Serves you right"

Elizabeth was staring off into space not paying attention to the other two. "I forgot to give him that report from earlier. I think I'll take it to him now." Elizabeth got up and walked out of the cafeteria.

"Teyla, my dear, have you noticed anything funny with our two favorite doctors lately."

"I have no comment on that subject, John. Don't you have reports to write?"

"Why would I want to do that when you are here to keep me busy?"

"I'm not going to cover for you with Elizabeth this time, go write your reports and then meet me on the balcony on level 2."

"Yes ma'am," he said with a smile.

---------

Elizabeth wandered back to Rodney's lab after a stop at her office to pick up the report she was using as an excuse to go see him. She wasn't looking too closely at why she needed an excuse to go see him. This whole thing was getting strange.

His lab door was open again and he was once again sitting playing with something on his table. "We should stop meeting like this." She said with a smile.

"At least you didn't send me through the roof this time. I thought I was going to have to find a bell to put around your neck so you couldn't sneak up on me anymore."

"I brought you the report you needed for team 3. I've been meaning to give it to you all day but it kept slipping my mind."

"Thanks."

"So, I have a question."

"Well it's good to have questions, it makes you look smart."

"Ha ha, Mr. smart aleck. My question is about the mail."

"Do I look like the mailman? What is it with you and the mail?"

"Well, I just wanted to make sure everyone got their mail. It seems like a great moral booster."

"Yes, yes, great moral boost. So who did you get mail from?"

"Rodney, why do you change the subject every time someone brings up you getting mail?"

"I don't know what you are talking about. I don't change the subject, it just doesn't interest me."

"Now that's an interesting statement. Not interesting. Any particular reason you aren't interested in the mail?"

"Are you my shrink? I think you are unhealthily interested in the mail. Go read yours and leave me alone."

"Rodney, when was the last time you got a letter?"

There was silence for a few seconds. He huffed and said, "Fine, fine, my secret is out. I have gotten no mail. I have never received a letter while we've been on Atlantis. Happy!"

After an appalled silence Elizabeth asked. "Don't you get letters from your parents?"

"No. They think I am still in Russia, they didn't send mail then, why would it change. We have a strict policy of exchanging cards only on Christmas and birthdays, I guess they thought I was clinging too much and cut back."

Elizabeth didn't know what to say to that revelation so she asked the next question.

"I thought you got letters from Col Carter?"

"Sam? She's been busy with SG1 and that guy Pete, I heard through the grapevine. We talk over the radio and that's fine."

Elizabeth noticed he didn't seem too heartbroken about that and that caused her to feel slightly better. No, she wasn't going there.

"I don't really miss not getting letters. Everyone I used to work with are idiots and I had lost touch with all my friends from college. I just didn't like the funny looks I was starting to get when we had mail call so I bailed on this one. I figured on the off chance I did get a letter someone would drop it by later."

"I don't know what to say, Rodney."

"See, now you are giving me that look, it's not a big deal. Leave it alone!"

"But..."

"No, Elizabeth, its fine... did you need anything else."

She shook her head and said, "Well I better get going. See you in the morning, don't stay up too late."

Rodney smiled and said goodnight.

---------

The revelation about Rodney's mail situation did not sit well with Elizabeth. She felt mail was an important part of moral on this base and no one should do with out it. At least that was what she told herself. The flutters were back and no matter how hard she thought they would not go away. She sat on her bed and pulled a pen and paper onto her lap.

After about 20 minutes she finished and with a smile got up and put it in an envelope to be delivered in the morning.

---------

"Dr McKay, this came letter is for you."

"Letter, what letter?"

"I don't know, I was just told to make sure you got this first thing this morning."

"Thanks, Sgt." Rodney took the letter. It didn't have a post mark on it so it wasn't from earth and he couldn't imagine anyone sending him a letter here. He opened and looked at the signature. Lizzie? He started at the top.

******************************************************************************** "Dear Rodney,

I hope this letter finds you well and in good spirits. Things here have been crazy. Do you know how hard it is to keep the peace in a community of strong minded scientists and military personnel? Sometimes I just want to crack heads together but then someone comes up with a solution that makes everyone happy. Normally it's one of the scientists. He is a real pain sometimes but is one of the most brilliant men I have ever met. He comes up with these mad schemes but they seem to work out.

I have really enjoyed my time here. People have been very nice but I don't think too many of them are comfortable enough with me to become friends. That is probably for the best as I have to keep command. But there are a few people who I consider friends. That scientist guy is one. Anytime I have a problem or a concern about the base he always listens to me ramble on and gives advice when I ask for it and sometimes when I don't. If it wasn't for him my time here would be very lonely.

I hope you are getting enough rest. I remember that you used to never sleep. You would stay up nights and just play with your toys. You need to get more sleep.

I promise to be better about writing you while you are gone. Never forget how important you are to the members of your team and to me. Stay safe.

Your friend Lizzie

PS- If you ever call me Lizzie to my face you are in for it!" ********************************************************************************

Rodney read the letter twice to make sure of what he was reading. At first he thought Elizabeth was playing some sort of joke on him but after reading the letter again she seemed to be telling him in her own weird way that she cared about his mental health. He always knew she cared about him as a member of the team; she was a good friend to him and he appreciated her. He never knew though she valued his friendship that much; they talked but there were thoughts in the letter that she had never shared before. He appreciated the gesture he decided.

He folded the letter back up and put it in the top of his desk. Maybe mail wasn't overrated.

FIN

AN: Hope you enjoyed this installment. Never fear the next part is set to roll out in a few days. I think we are headed for some good stuff in the next couple of chapters. But just to warn you, it is one step forward two steps back for our favorite pair. Thanks to all my great reviewers; it always makes me smile to see the little bot say Review Alert. Thanks for all the encouragement!