Ghosts of Atlantis von Xaverii Jade

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Ghosts of Atlantis By: Xaverii Jade

Prologue

When he awoke, she was sitting on the edge of his bed, smiling down on him. An ethereal glow was cast over her, making her skin and hair shine, and her body almost translucent. He sucked in a breath, amazed at her timeless beauty. Her dress was white, with a long skirt and bell sleeves; it clung to her in all the right places. Her long, red hair cascaded in curls down her back and framed her face with ringlets. He raised a trembling hand and reached out to tough her, but she stood, smiling. She had always teased him, even when he was the most desperate to touch her. It was one of the only ways she amused herself. Smiling, she walked to the door of his quarters. It opened for her. She turned back to him, cocked her head to the side, as if she was begging him to follow her.

He rose from the bed, seemingly not of his own will, and began to trail along behind her. The halls of Atlantis seemed infinite, stretching further than the eye could see. Instead of a light at the end of the tunnel, however, there was only darkness. All the light surrounded her; she was the brightest thing in the universe. Like the sun, she gave life. He sensed that she could, too, bring about a fiery death. Man was compelled to go towards her, though, and follow her out of the darkness.

He was walking further into the darkness, traveling with her through the vacuum of space. He wondered briefly if he was dying. A moment of fear that accompanied that thought was soon replaced with nothing but warmth. He could think of no better way to die than with her by his side. He reached out to touch her once again, to comfort himself with her presence, but she seemed to move backwards and forewords at once; a Hitchcock camera trick. He decided that it did not matter in what direction, she was still moving away from him. He suddenly felt alone, cold, and frightened. He mentally glued his hands to his sides, and she moved back. They walked around like this, close, but not touching, for what seemed like eternity. The halls never changed, never seemed to end, but they walked with purpose. She knew where she was going, and he trusted her.

They passed a gap in the hall, and he recognized a landmark. A Grounding Station. After walking past the station, they stopped at a non-descript door. A panel opened, and three, flat, translucent crystals were revealed. She removed the middle crystal, and there was a blinding flash of light. He closed his eyes against the torture, but it was too much, and everything went dark.

When Major John Sheppard opened his eyes again he was in his darkened quarters on Atlantis, halfway through the base's sleeping cycle. He say up, mussed his hair with his left hand, then rubbed his eye with his right fist. Something hard connected with his face, and he winced. Pulling back his fist, he opened his eyes and let them adjust to the light. Looking down, he slowly un-clenched his fist to reveal one flat, translucent crystal in his palm.