Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ribbons and Hearts

by BeeBee
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ribbons and Hearts

Ribbons and Hearts

by BeeBee

Summary: Daniel suffers some after effects from the ribbon device in The Curse - some good and some bad!
Category: Hurt/Comfort
Episode Related: 413 The Curse
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/01/03

Egypt, yes that was it.

Daniel knew he was in the infirmary, he had surfaced a few times over the past couple of days, not enough for any of the people keeping vigil to be aware of any change in his condition but enough for him to realize where he was.

In those brief periods of consciousness he had racked his brain trying to remember what had happened but up till now he had drawn a big blank. Today, however, he had managed to recapture a brief memory of being in a tomb in Egypt with Janet and Sam. He couldn't remember why he had been there or what might have happened there to land him in the infirmary but it was enough for now to have that one small memory to cling on to as he succumbed to unconsciousness once more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

If Daniel had been awake Jack O'Neill, sitting at his bedside almost constantly since his return, could have filled in the gaps for him.

Jack could have reminded him how, following a lead, Daniel, Sam and Janet had gone to Egypt to apprehend Daniel's one-time archaeological colleague, Stephen Rayner, only to find Stephen lying unconscious and injured in the tomb and Sarah, Daniel's ex-girlfriend and now host to Osiris, waiting for them. While the ribbon device had stunned Sam and Janet, Osiris had turned her anger on Daniel and subjected him to the same device in the hope that he would reveal vital information about the Stargate. Daniel, stubborn as ever, had managed to stick Osiris/Sarah with a tranquilizer dart, before slumping to the ground leaving Sam and Janet to watch dazed as Osiris used the ring transporter to exit the tomb and the planet. Janet and Sam, seeing Osiris's departure, had rushed to their friend's side as he sat up and tried to shake off the effects of the ribbon device.

Sam had told her CO how Daniel had insisted he was getting used to the device; how she and Janet had left Daniel sitting on the floor of the tomb clutching his head in both hands while they manhandled Stephen into the jeep ready to transport him to the nearest military hospital. When they had returned to the tomb it was to find Daniel lying unconscious on the floor and totally unresponsive.

Jack could have told Daniel about the journey back to Cheyenne Mountain by military aircraft and how Daniel had gone into respiratory arrest twice during the flight. He could have told him how the Neurosurgeon waiting at the SGC had warned them that he didn't expect Daniel to survive. He could have told him that he had been in a coma for nearly three weeks and that, in all that time, someone had always been at his bedside, holding his hand and talking to him.

Jack could fill in all the gaps if only Daniel would wake up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once back on the Base Daniel had been rushed to the ICU with Janet Fraiser in hot pursuit. After an agonizing wait the remaining members of SG1 and their Commanding Officer, General George Hammond, were called to the Briefing Room so that they could be updated on Daniel's condition.

Daniel's injury was classed as an acquired brain injury (ABI) sub classified as traumatic. Janet explained, for the benefit of the lay people present, that this category described open or closed head injuries caused by accidents and assaults. They involve anything that can damage the brain, for example, a skull fracture, shearing, a lack of oxygen and, in Daniel's case, bruising and bleeding. She went on to explain that an MRI and CAT scan had confirmed the suspicion that rather than Daniel getting used to the ribbon device an accumulation of instances of its use on him and in fact had the opposite effect and had caused bruising of the brain and some bleeding.

"It's not possible to give an accurate prognosis" Janet explained before going on to console them by explaining that the brain had a marvelous ability for self-repair and healing and that the popular belief that brain cells do not regenerate has now been overturned and the brain is actually constantly renewing and repairing itself.

General Hammond voiced the thoughts of all those sitting around the table by asking what the prognosis was. Janet was cagey. "Sustaining a severe head injury is no guarantee that brain injury has occurred" she explained. "Some head injuries remain just that, however, even after an exact diagnosis the severity of the damage, may not be possible for some time.

"Every brain injury, like every person, is unique and rates of recovery vary" she explained. "I'm sorry," she said looking at the worried faces around the table "I can't make a prediction in Daniel's case."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daniel opened his eyes and groaned as the headache kicked in. A worried face appeared in his line of vision; it was blurry but recognizable.

"What happened" Daniel whispered. His words were slow and slurred but he was too tired to wonder why and was asleep again even before Jack had had time to answer his question.

Later he swam towards consciousness once more and this time he felt a little more alert. He managed to turn his head to see who was holding his hand and wasn't surprised to see Jack sitting there.

"Hey" he managed to whisper.

"Hey yourself" Jack smiled down at him. "How're you feeling?"

Daniel pondered the question for a moment, trying to get his brain into gear. He sensed something bad had happened to him but his brain and his body didn't seem to want to work together and he couldn't vocalize his questions.

"What happened?" he finally asked knowing Jack would fill in the details. He listened as Jack filled in the gaps in his memory.

"Why can't I remember?" he asked getting scared at his inability to focus his brain enough to remember or to will his body to obey his commands.

"You will Daniel, give it time" Jack suggested, patting his friend's hand. "That ribbon device zapped you pretty good this time" he added.

Daniel nodded, he was exhausted with this little conversation and his eyelids were heavy. He had many more questions but they would have to wait he decided as he drifted off to sleep once more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over the course of the next few days the extent of Daniel's brain damage became more apparent. He continued to suffer from headaches and fatigue, often falling asleep mid-conversation. His team mates and his medical team were concerned that he seemed unable to process information and simple commands were met by a blank stare most times.

Jack had been sitting with his friend when the first of the seizures had occurred. They had warned them this might happen but it had scared the hell out of Jack O'Neill when Daniel suddenly stiffened, his eyes rolled back and he convulsed, salivating and biting his tongue. Jack had yelled for help and within seconds a team of nurses and Dr Fraiser were around Daniel's bed, gently restraining his convulsing body and injecting anti-seizure medication into his IV. After what seemed an age to Jack but was in truth only about 10 minutes the seizure ended and Daniel lay, pale and unconscious on the rumpled bed.

Jack sank down in the hard plastic chair and waited while Janet and her nursing team checked Daniel over and made him comfortable.

"It was to be expected Colonel" Janet reminded him as she made notes on Daniel's chart.

Jack nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

"We'll start him on anti-seizure medication to control things" she added, hanging the chart back on the rail at the bottom of Daniel's bed.

Jack looked relieved. He hoped she was right, he never wanted to see Daniel going through that again.

Unfortunately it took a few days to get the dosage right and during that time Jack had to watch Daniel suffer on several more occasions.

During the following couple of weeks Daniel remained in the infirmary so that Janet and her team could keep him under close observation. She had warned Jack and the other members of SG1 that Daniel was going to be 'altered' but knew they would all have problems dealing with this and so she arranged for them to attend a seminar on head injuries at the local hospital. She hoped this would give them an insight into the problems the ribbon device may cause Daniel, not just physically but also mentally and psychologically. She hoped that by giving them the worst case scenario they would appreciate any improvement in Daniel's condition however small.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sam had been sitting with Daniel in the infirmary late one afternoon in what had become one of their routine sessions. She was reminding him of past missions he had been on and trying to elicit some response. It was heavy going, as usual; Daniel was, at best, apathetic. He stared fixedly at Sam as she spoke, never smiling, even when she reminded him of some amusing thing that had happened. She felt as if she was talking to herself but Janet had encouraged her to keep it up.

"He needs to fight his way back" Janet explained. "At the moment it will be like trying to think through cotton wool and he feels too tired to make the effort."

Sam had understood this and continued these afternoon sessions despite the fact that she found them very upsetting. The worst of it is, she thought to herself, was that Daniel didn't seem to care whether she was there or not. Janet had explained that it was early days yet but Sam felt as if she had lost her friend and confidant and found, in his place, a morose, silent individual.

Towards the end of their session Jack popped his head around the door.

"Hey Daniel" Jack strolled casually into Daniel's room and sat on the edge of the bed. "How're you feeling today?"

Daniel stared at Jack for a few moments "OK" he murmured.

Sam and Jack exchanged glances before Jack continued "Carter, Briefing Room in half an hour."

Sam looked questioningly at her CO but a raise of his eyebrows and a glance in Daniel's direction gave her all the information she needed.

"OK Sir I'll be there" she confirmed leaning over to kiss Daniel's forehead. "See you later Daniel" she promised.

Daniel nodded absently and continued to gaze at his hands.

Sam smiled sadly at her friend and at her CO and closed the door behind her as Jack took over the role of getting Daniel back.

"So Daniel, what's new?"

Daniel shook his head, never raising his eyes and then muttering "I don't know why I have to stay here, I'm fine."

"Daniel you were nearly zapped into the afterlife by Osiris" Jack reminded him. "How the hell can you be fine."

"I just want to go home" Daniel muttered raising pleading blue eyes and meeting Jack's gaze.

"Daniel you can't even get out of bed on your own" Jack reminded him.

"I'm OK" Daniel persisted until Jack wanted to yell at him.

Jack took at deep breath and counted to 10. "Daniel I have to go to a briefing now" he explained as he made towards the door "I'll see you later, OK?"

Daniel didn't answer; he turned his head towards the wall and closed his eyes. He was just too tired to do anything about getting home just yet he decided.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Over my dead body" Colonel Jack O'Neill informed those gathered around the table in the Briefing Room.

"Jack hear Dr Fraiser out please" General Hammond pleaded. He had fully expected this response from the Colonel but hoped that an explanation from Janet Fraiser would win him round.

Jack O'Neill waited his face grim as Janet Fraiser tried to explain to the remaining members of SG1 why their friend and colleague needed to be transferred to a Rehabilitation Unit, away from the SGC and, more importantly, away from them.

"Daniel needs constant therapy both mental and physical if he is to make any sort of improvement" she explained. "He needs a physiotherapist, a speech therapist, an occupational therapist and a psychologist" she counted them off on her fingers. "We just haven't got those resources in the mountain" she explained, adding "and without them Daniel will just vegetate in an infirmary bed."

The members of SG1 seated around the table were stunned by her pronouncement.

"He's speaking more" Sam ventured.

Janet smiled across the table at her friend "Yes he is Sam but it's not enough is it?"

Sam knew Janet was right the Daniel Jackson currently in the infirmary wasn't the Daniel Jackson they all knew and loved. It was as if with one blast of the ribbon device Osiris had taken away their Daniel and replaced him with a totally different person locked inside the same body.

Sam's eyes filled with tears and she swallowed desperately trying to stop them falling on the Briefing Room table.

"Surely we can help him here" Jack begged but Janet shook her head sadly.

"I'm afraid not Colonel, he needs intensive therapy if there is to be any improvement." She noticed how upset they all were and added

"Speaking as a friend and not as a doctor now I know how you all feel," she gazed around the table at the stricken faces "because I feel the same," she added. "I don't want Daniel to leave here anymore than you do but it will be for his own good in the long term" she paused "I promise."

General Hammond sensed that enough was enough and brought the meeting to a close.

"Make the necessary arrangements Doctor and keep me informed" he ordered before adding "Dismissed" to the team around the table.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jack had begged Dr Fraiser to allow him to travel with Daniel to the Rehab Centre and see him settled in. He was determined that Daniel wouldn't be alone anymore than he could help. Daniel had been abandoned too many times in his life, first when his parents had died, then by various foster families who found they couldn't cope with a genius child, by the death of his beloved wife and finally by Oma Desila taking the Harcesis child.

Jack hadn't need to explain all this to Janet Fraiser, she was aware of Daniel's past history and felt as bad as Jack did that Daniel had to go to the Centre even though she understood that it was for the best. She had a soft spot for the Base's archaeologist although she tried to keep this well hidden.

Jack had wanted to be the one to help Daniel get ready for the transfer and so, once T'ealc and Sam had said their farewells, promising to visit soon, he had packed Daniel's bag and then helped him to get dressed, guiding arms into sleeves and slipping shoes onto feet. Daniel seemed to understand clearly what the clothes were for but was, at the same time, unable to grasp the concept of putting them on himself. It reminded Jack of dressing Charlie when he was a toddler but this wasn't a child he was dressing it was his friend. He wanted to scream in frustration at what the ribbon device had done to this genius who had unlocked the Stargate and who could communicate with numerous alien races. It had robbed them all of the Daniel Jackson they knew and loved and replaced him with a trembling, morose individual who couldn't even dress himself or remember how to go to the toilet; who wet himself and then cried with frustration, knowing somehow that he should know how to do these simple tasks but unable to reclaim the memory of them.

"The car's here" Janet Fraiser popped her head around the door. Jack heard Daniel's sharp intake of breath and saw how tightly he gripped the arms of the chair.

Janet pushed a wheelchair into the room and she and Jack helped Daniel to transfer into it before picking up Daniel's bag and leaving Jack to push the chair to the lifts.

Both Jack and Janet tried to make conversation with Daniel on the journey to the surface but he was, as best, monosyllabic, clutching the armrests of the wheelchair and breathing rapidly.

Jack and Janet exchanged worried glances. Jack was concerned that Daniel was having another panic attack. He had had a couple of these over the past few days, one when he was trying to stand and walk for the first time and one when he had tried to read through a translation report from one of the other linguists on the Base and realized that he couldn't understand a word of the language in front of him.

Janet bent down and laid a cool hand over Daniel's white knuckles" Breath deeply Daniel" she ordered gently, reminding him to bring his breathing back under control.

Once they had reached the surface and signed out a nurse from the Centre waiting by the car came forward to meet them smiling at her new patient.

"Hello Dr Jackson I'm Mary Norton" she announced holding out her hand. Daniel stared at her unsure what she wanted him to do. He knew there was some gesture he should make in return but couldn't remember what it was, frustrated again his blue eyes filled with tears.

Mary noted this response but chose to ignore it for the moment and turned instead to shake hands with Jack. Then, while Jack helped Daniel to get into the car, Mary busied herself with receiving Daniel's case notes from Janet Fraiser and listening to some last minute instructions on Daniel's day to day care.

Once Daniel was settled in the back of the car Jack hopped in next to him and Mary Norton took the front seat next to the driver. Jack rested what he hoped was a comforting hand on Daniel's thigh as the car pulled away from the SGC.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When they had arrived at the Centre Mary had shown Jack and Daniel around before leaving Jack to help Daniel unpack promising to be back soon. Jack unpacked Daniel's clothes and stowed them away in the various drawers and cupboards while Daniel sat in the wheelchair watching him carefully.

Somewhere at the back of his mind Daniel knew that he knew how to do these things for himself but he couldn't manage to tap into these memories no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to explain to Jack how frustrated he was and how sorry he was for being such a burden but searching for the words seemed more of an effort than Daniel could cope with and so he had to content himself with a muttered "Thanks Jack."

Jack sat down on the bed at the side of Daniel's chair and took Daniel's hand in his.

"Look Daniel I don't like this anymore than you do" he reminded his friend "but if coming here means we get you back on the team then it must be worth it."

Daniel raised tear-filled eyes to his CO "I could come back now Jack" Daniel begged.

Janet Fraiser had warned Jack that refusing to admit there was a problem was one of the symptoms of Daniel's sort of injury. She explained that as he had poor memory of before the incident it was natural that he should think that what he was like now was normal for him. "He can't remember what he was like before" she told a disbelieving Colonel.

"Daniel you know you're not 100%" Jack tried to reason with the distraught man in front of him.

"Just give me a few days" Daniel begged "I'll be fine, I promise," he added hopefully.

Luckily at this point Mary Norton entered the room smiling at the two men.

"OK Dr Jackson, or may I call you Daniel?" she asked.

"Daniel" Daniel murmured, his head down.

"Right then Daniel" she continued "I suggest we get you settled in bed for a little nap." She moved over to the bed and pulled the covers down.

Jack took this, correctly, as a signal that he should leave. He stood up and patted Daniel awkwardly on the shoulder.

"I'll be back soon Daniel" he promised.

A sob escaped from Daniel hard as he tried to keep it in. Jack turned back to his friend and took him in his arms and embraced him. Daniel cried into his shoulder. Eventually he broke away and sniffed.

"I'm sorry" he apologized as Jack reached for a tissue proffered by Mary and wiped Daniel's face.

"It's OK Daniel" Jack tried to reassure him while, at the same time, trying to hold back his own tears.

"Leave Daniel to me Colonel" Mary suggested "we'll be fine, won't we Daniel?"

Daniel nodded silently, not trusting himself to speak or meet Jack's eyes. Jack knew it would do no good to prolong his departure and so with heavy heart he left the room without a backward glance, hoping and praying that there would soon be an improvement in his friend and colleague.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And so the weeks passed. SG1 remained on stand-down for a while until a temporary replacement for Dr Jackson was found. They spent a lot of time at the Centre with Daniel when his grueling schedule of therapy allowed.

Sometimes Daniel was pleased to see them and to show them his latest progress but on other occasions he was sullen and uncommunicative and sometimes tearful, pleading with them to take him home.

His physical problems seemed to improve first. With lots of physical therapy he soon re-learned how to balance and walk on his own. At first he had a problem with a loss of sense of space and Jack was horrified to see him banging into the doorframe or some other object in the room. Mary explained that this was Daniel's way of judging his position in relation to the object and eventually this improved until a slight limp and a tendency to lose his balance were the only physical signs of Daniel's injury.

SG1 were pleased with their friend's progress but Daniel was not. He was constantly frustrated with himself. As he regained more of his memory from before the attack he realized more and more what he had lost. It took him ages to read and understand any of the articles Sam brought him and even holding a pen was a problem at first. If determination alone could do the trick then by rights Daniel should have been fighting fit within weeks but, as his therapists warned him over and over again, it would be a long haul back to whatever level of ability he attained. No one would promise that he would be 100% but on good days he was determined that he would rejoin SG1. On bad days, however, he sank into depression and convinced himself he would be thrown out of the SGC once they realized what a liability he was.

One day when Sam arrived to visit it was to find Daniel having some occupational therapy. A young therapist was trying to help Daniel re-learn how to tell the time. Sam stood quietly and undetected in the doorway as the young girl repeatedly moved the hands of the cardboard clock to different positions on the face and asked Daniel what time it was.

It was obvious to Sam that Daniel was finding this task difficult. Try as he might he was unable to make sense of the big hand and the little hand and the numbers they were pointing to. Sam could see Daniel's frustration mounting but the therapist carried on, apparently totally oblivious to Daniel's mounting tension. Eventually, as was bound to happen, the dam of Daniel's emotions burst open and he snatched the cardboard clock from the therapist and hurled it across the room before staggering to his feet and yelling.

"Why the hell can't you leave me alone" he screamed at the young woman seated opposite him "If I need to know the fucking time I'll ask" he continued, his face flushed.

"Dr Jackson please sit down," the woman asked quietly. She retrieved the clock from the floor and proceeded to set the hands again "now what time is this?" she persisted.

Daniel flung the plastic chair back against the wall.

"Don't you understand, I don't care what the fucking time is," he yelled snatching the clock from her hands and throwing it down once more. "Just leave me alone can't you."

Daniel made towards the door of the room where Sam was standing but the therapist reached for his arm to restrain him. It was an unfortunate move; Daniel was gripped by his anger and turned to fling her off him. As he pushed her away she tripped over the upturned chair and fell to the floor and the momentum of this caused Daniel to stagger and lose his fragile balance and stumble into the doorframe, gashing his forehead on the handle as he too fell to the floor.

The scene that had been acted out in front of her froze Sam for a few seconds. The old Daniel hardly ever lost his temper and never used bad language and Sam found it hard to believe what had occurred in front of her. She regained some composure and rushed over to Daniel, where he lay sprawled on the floor sobbing.

"Are you OK?" she asked as the therapist got to her feet and brushed the dust off her uniform.

"I'm fine" the girl smiled as if this happened to her on a regular basis, which well it might Sam thought giving the type of emotional people she had to deal with.

She made her way over to where Sam and Daniel were and helped Sam lift Daniel into a sitting position. Daniel was unwilling or unable to help himself and the therapist left to get some assistance while Sam sat cradling the sobbing Daniel in her arms. "It's OK Daniel" Sam reassured him, stroking his sweat dampened hair back from forehead.

"No it's not OK" Daniel protested "What's wrong with me Sam?" he cried, "Why can't I remember how to do things?" Before Sam could even try to answer the question a nurse came into the room with a tray of equipment to clean Daniel's head wound.

Once calm again and tucked up in bed Sam left Daniel to sleep off the fatigue that had resulted from his bout of anger and she and the therapist, whose name she found out was Claire, sat in the canteen over a pot of coffee.

"I'm sorry" Sam started to say, wanting to explain to Claire how unlike Daniel the outburst had been, but Claire stopped her.

"Major Carter" she began but Sam immediately interrupted her "call me Sam" she suggested warming to the pleasant young woman opposite her.

"Sam" Claire smiled back at her "don't worry about Daniel, what he is going through is perfectly natural." Sam must have looked a little disbelieving at this remark because Claire reached across the table and took Sam's hand in hers. "I know you think you'll never get Daniel back and to a certain extent you're right" she announced, knowing this would shock Sam but knowing also that it had to be said and understood by Daniel's friends.

"Daniel will probably never be exactly the same as he was before the injury" she went on "but he will recover and the signs are good that he will recover enough to return to some sort of work within the SGC."

"I wish I could believe you" Sam replied.

"Daniel is on an emotional roller coaster at the moment" Claire explained "He has to accept that many things will probably never be the same again, it may be the end of one road but the beginning of a new one." Sam nodded as Claire went on "for his friends as well as for himself" she finished, allowing this information to sink in before continuing.

"Daniel is experiencing many different emotions" she explained "he has to grieve for the person he was and along with this he is also feeling frustrated at his inability to do simple things he took for granted before the injury. Add to that resentment that it happened to him, anxiety that he won't recover and a feeling of worthlessness and you can appreciate just a small part of the problems Daniel is having at the moment."

She paused and laughed "throwing the clock at me is quite understandable don't you agree?"

Sam laughed back, wiping tears on the back of her hand "I guess so" she admitted.

"Daniel will get better Sam, that's a promise" Claire drained her coffee cup and stood up checking her watch. "I think I'll leave him to stew for the rest of the day" she said "why don't you go and cheer him up."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daniel remained at the Centre for three months during which time the team of therapists pushed him hard to relearn the basic skills he would need if he were to be allowed to go home. It had been explained to him and to Jack that it was vital, if he wanted any quality of life, that they work mainly on the skills of communication, mobility, eating and dressing.

Daniel hadn't suffered a severe loss of speech but he did slur some of his words and often couldn't find the right word when having a conversation. Luckily he had full use of both hands and actually found it easier to type on his laptop. Useful though this skill was it had to be discouraged by his speech therapist. She had explained to him that if he relied on the written word to communicate then his speaking skills would diminish rather than improve.

The physiotherapist had worked on Daniel's mobility. At first he had some weakness in his left leg but this had improved greatly. He had a problem with balance but a series of exercises was correcting that and apart from a slight limp and occasional stagger Daniel was able to get around quite well.

An occupational therapist had worked with him on his eating and dressing skills. He had experienced a problem with gauging distance that caused problems when lifting a cup or spoon to his mouth. This had been very frustrating and made him feel like a baby, when he kept spilling things but this was now resolving gradually. This therapist had also helped Daniel re-learn how to dress himself. It had seemed inconceivable to Jack that Daniel wouldn't remember how to put his clothes on but Daniel had initially been incapable of doing anything other than gaze in bewilderment at the array of garments laid out on the bed for him. He wasn't a multiple Ph.D. for nothing, however, and soon re-leaned this skill along with shaving. Jack had shaved Daniel at first but Daniel preferred to shave himself and had caused Jack some concern when he had insisted on having the razor in his slightly shaking hand. He had allowed Jack to guide his hand at first until he got the hang of it and now prided himself on his ability to give himself a clean shave.

By the end of his stay at the Centre Daniel had improved immeasurably. He still had a long way to go but Jack had insisted that Daniel move in with him and General Hammond had granted the Colonel some open-ended leave in the hope that he could help Daniel even more.

Privately Jack hoped that if Daniel continued to improve at the same rate once home that they could then gradually reintroduce him to the SGC and some sort of simple deskwork there so he could regain his confidence and linguistic skills.

Before Daniel was finally discharged Jack O'Neill and Janet Fraiser had met with the team of therapists and Daniel's doctor at the Centre for a de-brief. Contrary to Jack's expectations this had been a very positive meeting. It appeared that Daniel had already improved well beyond their initial expectations. It was understood that as the device which had caused Daniel's initial injury was alien that they couldn't expect Daniel to respond it the same way as perhaps some other brain injured people might. They now suspected that rather than the effects of the ribbon device being permanent there were signs that indicated that these might, in fact, be only a temporary problem.

Jack's heart soared when the Physician finally admitted that Daniel might make a near full recovery in time. He didn't bother to ask what this time might be. He knew that if the members of SG1, Janet Fraiser and the rest of the SGC had anything to do with it Daniel would have all the help he needed to make a speedy recovery.

He listened carefully while the occupational therapist, Claire, outlined the problems Daniel might experience once he left the Centre. Loss of confidence, fatigue, fear of the outside world. He took notes as she gave him advice on how to cope with all of these different symptoms should they occur. He knew he wouldn't be alone as Daniel's carer; that both Sam and T'ealc were eager to help and that Janet Fraiser was always on hand should he need her but as the team took Jack through Daniel's needs he started to feel worried that he wasn't up to the job of caring for his friend.

Up to the job or not the day finally arrived when Daniel could come home. Jack and the remaining members of SG1 took the previous day off work to make sure everything was ready. Sergeant Siler had fixed a handrail to the outside steps so that Daniel could climb up and down them safely. A plastic stool had been purchased for the shower cubicle to allow Daniel to shower from a seated position and thus avoid having a fall and Jack had stocked up on plenty of nourishing foods at Dr Fraiser's insistence, although he had got some of Daniel's favorite coffee beans in plus a cupboard full of junk food and chocolate to cheer Daniel up on his off days.

The team had agreed that it might be a bit overwhelming for Daniel if they remained at Jack's house to greet his arrival and had decided to let him settle in before having a welcome home party.

It was a solitary figure that gave the house a final check before setting off to the Centre. Jack was both elated and apprehensive. He was really looking forward to having Daniel home but worried about how they would cope together. He pushed this worry to the back of his mind as he arrived outside the Centre and prepared to collect his precious cargo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daniel had been subdued all the way home. Jack had kept up a cheery commentary but he sensed Daniel's panic. He could see his friend keeping a tight grip on the seat, his knuckles white with tension and no amount of jokey conversation was going to make things better. Jack finally gave up and the two friends drove the rest of the way in silence.

It was done, Daniel was home again, safety ensconced on Jack's couch with the TV remote in his hand while Jack prepared some lunch for them. Jack had carried Daniel's bag in while his friend had, after raising an inquiring eyebrow, grasped the handrail and climbed slowly up the steps and into the house. He had been warned that he would tire easily at first in this new environment but was surprised by his inability to climb into Jack's car, be driven home, climb the steps into the house and reach the couch without feeling utterly exhausted. With this thought in his mind he allowed his head to rest on the cushion Jack had thrown to him and within seconds he was fast asleep.

Jack watched him surreptitiously from the kitchen. He had been warned how tired Daniel would be initially in his new surroundings and decided to prepare some lunch and then save it until Daniel woke of his own accord.

It was 3 hours later when Daniel finally stirred and opened his blue eyes to find a fuzzy Jack O'Neill sitting opposite him. He rubbed his eyes to clear them and reached for his glasses, which Jack had removed and placed on the coffee table.

"Hey" Jack smiled at the crumpled archaeologist unwinding himself from the cushions and comforter Jack had placed over him while he slept.

"How long have I been asleep?" Daniel asked. His speech slightly slurred as it always was on first waking.

"About 3 hours give or take a few minutes" Jack informed him "Ready for something to eat now?"

"Yeah, I'll just go...." Daniel gestured vaguely in the direction of the bathroom as he struggled to get to his feet. Jack was at his side in an instant, "here" he said, offering a hand to yank Daniel to his feet. He knew Daniel hated being dependent on people and had decided to play down any help he offered. Daniel accepted this casual assistance in the spirit in which it was offered. Had Jack made a big thing of helping Daniel to stand he knew Daniel would have refused the help and become frustrated and irritated at his inabilities.

As Daniel staggered slowly towards the bathroom Jack congratulated himself on overcoming the first hurdle of many.

Later as they sat companionably together at the table eating a late lunch Jack amused Daniel by reading allowed the set of instructions he had been handed by Claire, Daniel's therapist, before they had left the Centre.

"Must have a nap each afternoon" Jack read out "is that me or you do you think?" he asked Daniel. When he received no response other than a quirky raise of an eyebrow he continued "not allowed to watch too much TV, hell I hope that's you and not me" Jack moaned.

"No alcohol, what" Jack yelled, "I really hope that's you Daniel" he groused.

Once lunch was over Daniel had gone into the spare room, his room, to unpack. Jack didn't offer to help, he had never helped him in the past and had decided that treating Daniel as normally as possible would be the best thing. He had hovered around, however, just in case Daniel had needed anything but after listening to Daniel potter around for a while he had decided to sit on the couch until his lodger finished.

Jack must have dozed off for a while because a noise outside woke him with a start and he realized that Daniel was nowhere in sight.

Surely he's finished unpacking by now Jack thought to himself as he heaved his aching body off the couch and headed towards Daniel's room. He never thought of the room as the spare room, since that first night when he had brought Daniel back to his home on their return from Abydos the room had always been Daniel's room in Jack's mind. Even though the archaeologist had moved into his own apartment after a few weeks Jack had kept the room in readiness for any night when Daniel decided to stay over or any time when he was recovering from some injury or illness and needed someone to keep an eye on him in order for Dr Fraiser to allow his release from the infirmary.

On reaching the door of the bedroom Jack paused, should be just barge in to make sure Daniel was OK? He thought better of it and knocked gently on the door "Danny, you OK in there?" he called gently waiting for a response.

On getting no response Jack's heart thudded as he pushed to door open. He was relieved to see Daniel sitting on the edge of the bed but less happy to see dresser drawers half-open and Daniel's clothes scattered around on the bed.

"Need any help here?" Jack asked sitting down next to his friend.

Daniel didn't raise his head but Jack was sure that Daniel was, or had been crying. He waited.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do with these," he finally admitted indicating the garments strewn around. He picked up a pair of socks and held them out to Jack.

"Why can't I remember?" the tearful Daniel was replaced almost instantly by the irritable Daniel as the socks were hurled across the room before the tearful Daniel returned and crumpled as Jack's arms reached around him and he sobbed broken heartedly into Jack's shoulder.

Jack let Daniel sob himself out. He guessed that the stress of being discharged from the Centre and being out in the normal world together with the constant frustration he felt had combined to tip the balance of Daniel's fragile mental state. Eventually Daniel quieted and tried to pull away from Jack's embrace.

"Want a hand?" Jack asked sounding more casual than he actually felt.

Daniel nodded, not trusting himself to speak and Jack held out a hand to help him to his feet and together the two friends stowed Daniel's clothes away in the drawers by dint of Jack prompting Daniel's memory of how to do this simple task.

Once everything was put away to their satisfaction Jack suggested that Daniel might like to take the prescribed 'afternoon nap' but Daniel refused.

"I'll never get better if I keep sleeping" he insisted stumbling out of the bedroom and heading for the dining table, where Jack had dumped his laptop and papers.

"Aargh no work Daniel" Jack stopped the archaeologist in his tracks "doctor's orders."

"Jack I need to do things" Daniel moaned as Jack turned him around and pointed him in the direction of the couch.

"I'm not supposed to watch TV" Daniel argued as Jack put the remote in his hand.

"You can today" Jack insisted, raising his fingers to his lips in a Daniel-type gesture before Daniel could argue anymore.

And so it was settled, Daniel watched the Discovery Channel with a cup of freshly ground coffee in his hand while Jack sat in the chair opposite, reading through some reports and keeping a watchful eye on his patient. Later Jack sent out for a pizza and watched some hockey playoffs while Daniel snoozed on the couch until it was time for bed.

Jack was unsure whether Daniel would be able to manage to undress and get ready for bed on his own particularly since he was only half-awake when Jack suggested it was bedtime. He followed Daniel into the bedroom and waited to see what Daniel would do. When it became obvious that Daniel wasn't sure where to start Jack sat on the edge of the bed and talked Daniel through undressing and getting into some sweats. The same procedure seemed to work in the bathroom as well with Jack perched on the edge of the bath reminding Daniel of his bedtime routine.

Jack found it strange doing this, he felt in one way as if he were treating Daniel like a child and couldn't fathom how such a clever person as Daniel couldn't remember these simple tasks. He knew the medical reasons, everything had been explained to him on numerous occasions but it still seemed strange. Once Daniel was finally settled in bed Jack bade him goodnight and headed to his own room, taking care to leave the adjoining doors open in case Daniel needed anything in the night.

Jack slept later than he intended the following morning and the sun was streaming through the blinds when he finally roused himself. His first thought was whether Daniel was still sleeping and he grabbed his robe as he padded barefoot across the landing to Daniel's room. When he pushed the door open his heart plummeted as he took in the empty bed. "Daniel" Jack yelled as he headed towards the living area trying not to panic.

The living room was also deserted but just as Jack was about to send out for a search party he heard noises from the kitchen and there he found Daniel happily brewing coffee and warming croissants.

He heaved a sigh of relief, Daniel looked so normal standing there at the counter, with his hair tousled and his bare feet, just as Jack had seen him on so many other occasions prior to his injury.

Daniel sensed that someone was watching him and raised his head, a smile breaking out when he saw Jack standing in the doorway.

"Hi Jack, want some coffee?" he asked reaching for another cup as Jack settled himself at the counter and returned the smile.

"Why not" Jack reached across for the cup Daniel carefully filled for him and took a sip. He tried not to let his dismay show, the coffee was far too strong. Daniel must have used half a pound for the two cups.

"What's wrong?" Daniel asked noting Jack's expression. "Just needs a little more water in it Daniel" Jack suggested hoping that the smiling start to the day would not be marred by Daniel getting upset over not being able to make a simple pot of coffee.

Daniel tasted the brew and pulled a face "you're right" he agreed "must have been a bit heavy handed." Jack sighed with relief and nodded his agreement before watching Daniel carefully prepare the croissants and then proudly set the plate before him.

It was a good day. Daniel managed to have a shower and get dressed with minimal input from Jack and had then decided to have a stroll in the local park. Jack had insisted on accompanying him and they had borrowed next doors dog to make the walk more purposeful. As they walked together in the sunshine Jack had almost convinced himself that Daniel was back to normal until Daniel stumbled and nearly fell. Jack was worried at how pale his friend looked and insisted they sit on a nearby bench.

"This is stupid" Daniel announced, a fine sheen of sweat on his pale face, as he slumped on the bench and watched the dog cavorting on the grass in front of them.

"Well I often think that when I see him chasing cars" Jack agreed also watching the dog.

"Not the dog, me" Daniel muttered as he laid his head back against the bench and closed his eyes.

"You don't chase cars do you?" Jack asked lightly and was rewarded by a snort of amusement from his friend.

"I'm exhausted," Daniel finally admitted "how the hell can I expect to go off world if I can't walk around the park with a stupid dog" he asked.

"Hey that dog may be a little flaky but he's not stupid" Jack replied indignantly as he threw a stick for the dog to retrieve.

"Listen Daniel" Jack continued, "you made breakfast, you had a shower and you got dressed and now we've had a great walk with the dog; could you have done that a few weeks ago?"

Daniel shook his head "I know you're right" he admitted "I know I'm getting better but its all so damned slow" he moaned, opening his eyes and gazing into the distance where the dog was throwing itself around in a pile of newly mown grass.

"Hey the big hand on my watch says moaning time is over" Jack stuck his watch under Daniel's nose. Daniel peered at the dial "half past twelve" he announced and both men smiled happily, Daniel could tell the time again.

"Home, lunch, nap" Jack ordered helping Daniel to his feet and whistling for the dog who scampered over to them covered in grass clippings.

"Perhaps you're right Daniel" Jack agreed "he is a bit stupid."

Daniel ate a little of the lunch Jack had prepared when they got back home but was really too tired to do more than pick at it. Jack cast concerned glances at his friend, worried that he had allowed Daniel to overtax himself. He was pleased that Daniel agreed to a nap and soon had him tucked up in bed.

Jack was quietly sorting through some paperwork he had brought back from the SGC when the doorbell rang some 3 hours later. He dashed to the door in record time and flung it open to find Janet Fraiser on the doorstep.

"Sshh" he whispered, putting his finger to his lips "Daniel's asleep."

"Glad to hear you're both following doctor's orders" Janet replied as she stepped into the house and deposited her black bag in the hallway before heading into the living room, sinking into a chair and kicking off her shoes.

Jack looked at her inquiringly.

"Hell of a shift" she announced, massaging her aching feet "SG7 came back with some sort of allergic reaction and had us running around in circles for a few hours" she explained.

"Can I get you something?"

Janet paused in her self-massage "a cup of tea would do wonders" she smiled. Jack headed into the kitchen to boil the kettle and Janet waited patiently, allowing herself to relax into the soft cushions of the chair.

"How's Daniel?" she asked as Jack returned and placed a cup of steaming tea in her hand and took the chair opposite.

Jack told her about their day so far, pleased to be able to report some positive news and pleased to see Janet's smile in response.

"That's good" she commented, sipping her tea "but don't let him push himself too hard" she cautioned "you know what he's like."

"What who's like?"

They both turned to see Daniel in the doorway, holding onto the doorframe for support. It always seemed to take him a little while to get his balance back when he first got out of bed and he really tried not to get upset about this despite the fact that he hated staggering and stumbling about.

Jack jumped up and helped Daniel to make his unsteady way over to the couch and, much as Daniel wanted to do things for himself, he was secretly grateful for the help.

"Is this a doctor visit or a friend visit?" Daniel asked once he was settled.

"A bit of both" Janet admitted. "I'm on my way home and thought I'd just pop in to see how my favorite patient was doing" she smiled.

"Favorite or just the one with the thickest file" Jack chipped in as he returned and handed Daniel a glass of juice.

"Both" Janet replied and they both laughed at Daniel's pained expression.

"Seriously Daniel" Janet continued "I just wanted to make sure you were doing OK and not pushing things."

"The more I push the sooner I get back on the team" Daniel murmured but Janet heard and Jack winced as Daniel had to sit and listen to yet another lecture from his doctor.

You asked for that Dannyboy he thought to himself as he sat back and watched the show before him. It was always a great one, the battle between the stubborn archaeologist and the petite doctor/warrior. He knew who his money was on.

"OK, OK I get the picture" Daniel held his hands up in surrender. He never won any round with this miniature tyrant but he felt obliged to try.

"I want you to take it easy for the rest of the day" Janet ordered. "Sam and T'ealc had some ideas about coming over for a welcome home party," Daniel's eyes lit up but she continued "but I told them it was out of the question today."

Seeing how glum this made Daniel she added "they are coming tomorrow instead and bringing Chinese."

Jack and Daniel exchanged happy smiles.

It would be great for the whole of SG1 to be together once more and something to look forward to other than therapy, fatigue, more therapy and more fatigue Daniel mused.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And so the days continued marked by small but significant improvements in Daniel's mental and physical abilities on a daily basis.

Jack had been warned not to let Daniel over tire himself. Janet had explained that as Daniel's brain worked harder, either to think things out or respond to the body's needs, it would tire quicker and, therefore, decision-making and understanding would take longer, further tiring the brain. Jack knew he had to let Daniel work for just an hour or two at a time rather than the several he was used to.

It was a fine line that Daniel had to walk. He was allowed to work for a couple of hours, he had to fit in a variety of therapy sessions including some physiotherapy to help him regain muscle tone as well as swimming so that his muscles didn't become stiff or flabby and he had to rest. Janet had made sure that both Jack and Daniel were aware that 'resting' didn't mean watching TV in excess. It had been explained that when watching TV the brain goes into 'neutral' and instead he had been advised to 'read, read' read. Jack had laughed at this advice, it would be easier to tell the earth to stop revolving than to tell Daniel not to read and he thanked God that this ability had not been lost following the injury merely misplaced for a while.

To this regime Janet had also added aromatherapy sessions which Daniel had initially resisted but after a couple of sessions he was surprised to find this beneficial. He had fallen asleep during one session and had apologised to the therapist but she had explained to him that this was a compliment and proved that he was totally relaxed, as was her aim.

Jack had also attended a couple of these sessions and been shown how to use basil for activating the brain, bergamot to lift the spirits and lavender and eucalyptus to health sooth the nerves and lower anxiety levels. The use of lavender oil had been particularly helpful for Daniel's seizures, so much so, that Janet Fraiser had started reducing his anti-seizure medication and so far he hadn't suffered a seizure of any kind since his release from the Centre.

Sam and T'ealc also helped as much as they could to relieve Jack of some of the burden of being Daniel's carer. T'ealc had unlimited patience, much to Jack's chagrin, and would happily spend hours helping Daniel regain his knowledge of the planets they had visited while Sam had cheered Daniel up by taking him out and about, on trips to museums and galleries thus allowing Jack some free time of his own.

Jack was the first to admit he wasn't 'carer' material. He wasn't know for his patience and understanding but his love and admiration for the geeky archaeologist who had wormed his way into Jack's life was limitless and this love was worth more than anything else to Daniel as he fought his way back to both mental and physical fitness.

Eventually SG1 had to return to active duty. It had been hard for Daniel to stand in the Control Room and watch SG1 go through the Gate that first time without him. He knew that his replacement, Dr James Tyrell, would do a good job and might even be able to tolerate Jack O'Neill but he really wished it could have been him stepping through the wormhole with them. As the iris closed General Hammond had laid a fatherly arm on Daniel's shoulder as he had gazed at the closed iris, tears pooling in his deep blue eyes.

"I know it's hard son" General Hammond admitted "but your turn will come" he promised.

Daniel nodded, not trusting himself to speak. Everyone in the Control Room was aware of Daniel's presence and distress but left him to compose himself. After a few minutes Daniel took a deep breath and, smiling at the technician at the desk, he left the Control Room and headed to his office.

Once there he tried to work on some simple translations of basic Egyptian hieroglyphics but he couldn't concentrate and his mind kept wandering to SG1 and what they were doing, what sort of civilization they might have found. Time after time he tried to concentrate on the text in front of him but in the end he pushed it aside in frustration and leaned back in his chair.

He was lost, he didn't know what to do with himself without Jack, Sam or T'ealc around. He suddenly felt totally helpless and his breathing started to quicken and a thin film of sweat broke out on his brow.

Daniel knew enough to realize that, if he didn't calm down, he would suffer a full-blown panic attack. He had suffered enough of these over the past few months to know the signs. He banged his fist on the desk in front of him, scattering papers in all directions. He tried to control his breathing, using the various techniques he had been taught. He looked down at his trembling hands and made them into fists, trying to still the tremors that coursed through him.

He felt so hopeless, helpless and worthless. All the progress he thought he had made seemed to have been swept away as his team had left him. Slowly he took control and as his breathing eased and the tremors faded he folded his arms on the desk and laid his aching head on them.

It was in this position that Dr Fraiser found him sometime later. General Hammond had called the infirmary to let her know that SG1 had gone off world and that Dr Jackson seemed somewhat upset at their departure. Janet took the hint and, leaving Dr Warner in charge of the infirmary, headed in the direction of Daniel's office.

Alarm bells rang as she opened the door, having received no response to her gentle knock, and saw Daniel slumped over the desk. A quick check proved, however, that he was merely sleeping. Janet checked his pulse and finding it still a little irregular and noting the sweat dampened hair and pale face made the correct assumption that Daniel had suffered another panic attack.

Leaving him to sleep in that position wasn't going to do him any good she decided and so she gently nudged the sleeping archaeologist awake.

"Janet?" Daniel slurred her name, peering at her myopically, his glasses having mysteriously disappeared among the pile of papers on his desk.

"It'd be more comfortable to nap on the couch" Janet suggested as she handed Daniel a paper cup full of water and a couple of Tylenol.

He took these gratefully and drained the cup before handing it back to the doctor.

"So how do you feel?" Janet asked hoping that her patient would be truthful and not give the stock "I'm fine" she usually expected.

"Worthless" the words were stated so matter-of-factly that Janet's heart sank. Daniel had been doing so well recently and been so positive. She knew it was to be expected that he would have off days and sink into depression and she also knew how much he had come to rely on the other members of SG1. Now, for the first time, since his injury he was totally alone and he needed time to come to terms with this and the fact that he could cope.

Janet looked at the clock and made a decision "Daniel I finish in an hour" she announced "Cassie is having a sleep-over with a friend and I'm at a loose end."

Daniel waited not knowing quite what Janet wanted of him. She smiled "Dr Jackson do I have to spell it out."

Daniel looked quizzically at her not sure where her conversation was going.

"OK, Dr Jackson will you take me to dinner?" she asked. Daniel gawped at her before total understanding registered with him.

"Dinner, yes of course, sorry" he stammered.

She smiled at the handsome but perplexed face opposite before kissing him gently on the cheek and heading for the door.

"It's a date, pick me up at my office in one hour" she ordered as she left a bewildered Daniel staring at the closed door trying to assimilate what had just happened.

Dr Daniel Jackson, multiple Ph.D. and linguistic genius sat in his office and racked his brain to try to remember what going 'on a dinner date' actually entailed. He had hazy memories of married life on Abydos but that certainly never included going out to dinner. He could also recall various evenings spent in the company of his team mates but knew this date with Dr Fraiser was different in some way.

Eventually, frightened that he might make a total fool of himself, Daniel decided to ask General Hammond's advice. He felt a little foolish even going this far but the thought speaking to Hammond instead making an idiot of himself in front of Janet Fraiser was the lesser of the two evils.

A timid knock at his office door and the appearance of a rather worried looking Dr Jackson surprised George Hammond to say the least. Dr Jackson was not known for popping in to see the Base Commander unless he was under the influence of sarcophagus withdrawal or invisible and George Hammond couldn't think what the young archaeologist wanted.

"Come in Dr Jackson" he suggested "take a seat." Once seated in front of the General Daniel felt his visit had been a huge mistake.

"How can I help you?" the General prompted gently as Daniel sat opposite his obviously in some distress.

Some moments passed before Daniel raised his head "what do you do on a dinner date?" he asked an amazed General. Of all the problems the General might have guessed Daniel might have this wasn't even on the list.

"A dinner date?" he queried "why do you ask doctor?"

"Um" Daniel paused searching for the right words "Dr Fraiser has invited me out for dinner tonight and I can't remember what to do" he blurted out turning pleading blue eyes on the Base Commander.

George Hammond tried to hide his smile. "You're one lucky young man Dr Jackson, many men on this Base would be glad to be in your shoes."

Daniel looked puzzled but the General didn't explain his remark further. Instead he outlined the basic etiquette for taking a lady out to dinner. Daniel listened carefully to all the instructions. General Hammond paged his secretary and asked her to make a booking at Valentino's in the name of Dr Daniel Jackson and then he got down to details.

"Do you have any money or credit cards?" the General finally asked.

"I have cards" Daniel replied. General Hammond didn't want to upset Daniel but he thought he had better check.

"Do you remember how to pay by credit card?" he asked gently. Daniel nodded "Jack showed me," he said proudly.

"Do you have any clothes on the Base?" the General asked looking at Daniel's usual disheveled appearance in fatigue dress.

Daniel shook his head and at this the General picked up the phone.

"Have a car waiting to take myself and Dr Jackson home ASAP" he ordered.

He proceeded to lead a stunned archaeologist out of his office, pausing to instruct his secretary.

"I'm taking Dr Jackson home to collect some things, we'll be back in half an hour if anyone asks." The secretary may have been as stunned as Daniel was but years of working for the military had trained her to remain professional as she watched the unlikely pair leave the office.

Once back at Jack's house General Hammond helped Daniel choose some suitable attire from the closet and waited while he showered and changed into the chosen outfit. Doing this gave George Hammond an insight into the amount of effort Jack O'Neill must be putting in to 'care' for Daniel.

George had had to remind Daniel to shower before changing and had then had to talk Daniel through actually donning some of the items and finally the portly General had found himself on his knees on the bedroom floor lacing Daniel's shoes for him. He, as Jack had, found it incomprehensible that such a brilliant mind was having problems with such simple items as shoes and socks and he made a mental note to check with Dr Fraiser that Daniel was making the expected progress.

Once Daniel was finally ready and the General had checked that he had everything he needed he gave the handsome young archaeologist a final once over before pronouncing him a suitable date for the Base's Medical Officer and the pair headed back to the Base. The driver had been amazed at the purpose of the trip but knew better than to speak to anyone about it unless he wanted posting to Antarctica in the very near future.

One hour later Janet Fraiser was surprised when her office door opened and a very smart looking archaeologist stood uncomfortably in the doorway. Her face lit up when she saw him; "Daniel" she beamed "sit down, give me 10 minutes." Daniel nodded and took the proffered seat. It seemed strange to be in Janet's office without either waiting for an injection or the results of one of her myriad of tests and he took the opportunity while waiting for Janet to freshen up to look around. When Janet returned it was to find her friend and dinner date with his nose buried in a medical textbook.

"Archaeology not enough for you Dr Jackson" she teased as he looked up and took in her appearance. Janet had, luckily, collected a black crepe dress from the dry cleaners only that morning and that, together with a fresh coat of make-up and a brush through her shining chestnut hair, had transformed her from an Air Force Medical Officer into a suitable dinner date for her handsome colleague in a little over 15 minutes.

"You look....nice" Daniel searched for the right word to describe the transformed woman in front of him. He had often seen Janet Fraiser out of uniform but this time she looked different.

"So do you Daniel" Janet responded, secretly wondering how he had managed to effect such a transformation in such a short time.

"I've booked a table at Valentino's" Daniel announced, surprising Janet who had expected to have to ring somewhere herself.

"Well let's go" she suggested. The pair left the Base totally unaware of the number of heads that turned as they passed and once on the surface Daniel suddenly became aware that he had no way of getting his date to the restaurant. Before he could start to panic Janet stepped in and allayed his fears.

"I'll drive us," she said, casually waving her car keys at Daniel. The tension left Daniel and he breathed a sigh of relief. One of the things he had not regained since his injury was his ability to drive. Both Jack and Sam had tried on various occasions to help him re-learn the skill but the concentration needed plus the ability to do so many things at the same time had been totally beyond Daniel and he had had to admit defeat. Truth be told driving wasn't something that particularly bothered him anyway it was merely a means to get to and from the Base and at the moment Jack or one of the drivers could drive him. This was actually the first time that he had found it a hindrance. Janet had been aware of this transport problem as they had made their way to the surface and had surreptitiously got her car keys ready so she could prevent Daniel suffering any embarrassment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The date was a great success. Once Daniel had gotten used to the idea and realized that he could cope in this situation he had started to relax and enjoy Janet's company and the well-cooked meal and the chilled white wine that accompanied it.

Janet had regaled Daniel with stories of her life prior to joining the SGC and Daniel had commiserated with her over her failed marriage. He, in turn, had told her more about his life on Abydos than he had anyone else and she had been a sympathetic listener, asking intelligent questions about the Abydonian lifestyle and their medicines and laughing as he told her about his inability to grind flour and how the men folk had made fun of him trying to do women's work.

Before they knew it the evening was over. Daniel was dreading this moment but, after General Hammond's guidance, he competently paid the bill and ushered his date out of the restaurant and back to her car.

While SG1 were off world it had been agreed that Daniel would stay on Base so that everyone could keep an eye on him. Janet didn't like the idea of leaving him there after such a lovely evening and so she made her decision.

"Daniel why don't we drive to my house and have coffee there" she suggested.

"How will I get back to the Base?" Daniel asked but Janet patted his arm.

"You can sleep in my spare room tonight if you like" she offered "it's a sight more comfortable than your bunk I imagine."

Daniel laughed "a sack of potatoes would be more comfortable than that" he agreed.

"Well?" she waited for his answer.

"I'd like that" he admitted reluctant for the evening to end, as she opened the car and they climbed in and headed home.

Janet had no intention of seducing her date. She had often wondered what it would be like to kiss those gorgeous lips and be enfolded in those arms but she had pushed such thoughts to the back of her mind. Her friendship with the handsome young archaeologist was far too precious to risk on a chance of romance besides the ethical problems it would cause. Tonight she was just happy to have spent some quality time with Daniel and now, offering him hospitality, was just a friendly gesture to save him from having to sleep on the Base.

Once back at her house Janet had kicked off her shoes and suggested to Daniel that he sit on the couch while she brewed some coffee. Daniel was glad to do so, he was exhausted. His energy reserves were low at best since his injury and new situations always took more out of him. He sank gratefully back onto the plump cushions and looked around Janet's room. He had never really noticed it before although he had been here on many occasions for various parties and events. He felt at home here, it was a comfortable lived-in house, with plenty of evidence of a teenager's presence, though not this evening, thank goodness.

His eyes were just drifting shut when Janet bustled in with a tray and set it down on the crowded coffee table in front of him.

"Sorry about the mess" she apologized moving piles of teen magazines and school books to one side to make room for the tray.

"Cassie is one of the untidiest people I know" Janet confided proudly.

"Untidier than me?" Daniel queried thinking about the mess in his office.

"Well" Janet pondered and they both laughed easily together.

Once the coffee cups were drained Daniel stifled a yawn hoping his beady-eyed doctor wouldn't notice it. He was wrong.

"Bedtime Daniel" she announced firmly getting up and offering a hand to pull him to his feet.

Daniel knew she was right he was totally drained. He felt he had run the gamut of emotions today. Frustration at his inabilities, desolation when his team had gone off-world without him, fear at facing a new situation and finally pleasure in a good meal in good company.

He allowed himself to be guided up the stairs and into the spare room and sat on the edge of the bed while Janet busied herself closing the curtains, turning back the quilt and finally handing Daniel a pair of pajamas.

At this offering Daniel's eyebrows raised "Might I ask what you are doing with men's pajamas in your drawer Dr Fraiser?" he mocked.

She smiled "I keep them for visiting homeless archaeologists" she quipped "now get into them and into bed and I'll be back in 5 minutes with your meds. She turned to leave the room turning to smile at her guest. "The bathroom's right across the hall she added before closing the door behind her.

Daniel undressed quickly and donned the pajamas before padding across the hall and into the bathroom. Once in there he found that Janet, being the perfect hostess had laid out a fresh towel and a spare toothbrush for him. He quickly completed his ablutions and headed back into his room. He was peering out of the curtains at the garden when Janet tapped quietly on the door before coming in with a glass of water and Daniel's medication.

"Into bed please" she ordered, well and truly back in 'doctor mode' Daniel thought as he slipped between the cool sheets. Janet tucked the covers around her guest and handed him his medication. She waited while he swallowed the pills and drained the glass of water before handing it back to her.

"Sleep well Daniel."

"Thanks Janet......for everything" Daniel murmured as he snuggled down into the cool, soft bed and was asleep before Janet had got back down the stairs.

She said on the couch nursing a glass of brandy as she felt a thrill of pleasure run through her at the thought of Daniel tucked up in her spare room. She mentally remonstrated with herself.

Pull yourself together woman, what sort of a doctor are you, contemplating taking advantage of a physically and mentally convalescent colleague.

She drained the glass and switched off the light. She blew a kiss in the direction of the closed bedroom door and she passed before firmly closing her own bedroom door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She awoke with a start. It was dark so she presumed it was still the middle of the night and she sat for a moment, her heart thumping, wondering what had woken her. Then she heard it, a noise coming from the spare room, someone shouting. At that moment she was fully awake, realizing that her overnight guest must be having a nightmare.

She jumped out of bed and dashed across the landing and into the spare room to find Daniel on the floor totally tangled in the bedding. She switched on the bedside lamp and fell to her knees next to the thrashing archaeologist.

"Daniel" she called gently but when he failed to respond and continued to struggle she raised her voice "Daniel wake up."

"Janet?" he opened his eyes and peered into the dim light "Where am I?"

Janet untangled him from the crumpled bedding "in my spare room" you came back after dinner, remember?"

Slowly consciousness returned and Daniel nodded. He rubbed a trembling hand over his sweat soaked face and groaned.

"Sorry" he murmured. In his embarrassment he tried to struggle to his feet but these were still firmly entwined in the cotton sheet. Janet gently extricated him and helped him to his feet. He staggered slightly until he regained his balance and Janet put her arm around his waist to steady him.

"OK?" she asked.

Daniel nodded as she led him over to the bed and he sank down on the crumpled sheet. Realizing he would need a few moments to get over the shock of waking to find himself on the floor of a strange bedroom Janet went into the bathroom and filled a glass with water. When she returned Daniel was still sitting on the side of the bed holding his head in both hands.

"Headache?" she asked, always the doctor.

He nodded and she handed him two Tylenol and then, waiting until he had popped them into his mouth, handed him the glass of water. She sat down next to him waiting until he had composed himself.

"Sorry about that" he finally mumbled.

"Do these happen often?" Janet asked trying to recall whether Colonel O'Neill had ever said anything about nightmares in the past.

"Not often thank goodness" Daniel replied, relaxing a little as the medication started to kick in.

"I'm a good listener" Janet prompted, hoping that Daniel felt comfortable enough with her to open up. She waited patiently.

"Sometimes it's my parents, sometimes it's Sha're and now I can add Sarah to the list of things that haunt my dreams." Daniel's voice broke and Janet wanted to hold him in her arms until he didn't hurt anymore.

She contented herself with putting a friendly arm around his shoulder as he sat slumped on the side of the bed. She had no quick fix for him, God knows, with what he had been through in his life it was no wonder he suffered from nightmares she thought.

Daniel stood up "just going to the bathroom" he explained. While he was gone Janet remade the bed and when Daniel returned she patted it invitingly.

"Hop in" she ordered. Once Daniel was safely tucked up in bed she sat on the edge and smoothed the furrows on his forehead.

"How's the head" she asked quietly. Daniel lay with his eyes closed but Janet could see, by the way his jaw was clenched that the headache was still there.

"Not too bad now" Daniel murmured never opening his eyes. As his doctor Janet was well aware of Daniel's problem with admitting to his level of pain. She went into the bathroom and dampened a cloth in cold water. Reclaiming her seat on the edge of the bed she proceeded to wipe Daniel's face gently with the cool cloth. He sighed as the cloth cooled and soothed his hot brow. Janet took it away and refolded it before lying across Daniel's eyes. He reached up a hand to anchor the cloth in place.

"Thanks Janet" he murmured.

"You're very welcome Daniel" she replied stroking his sweat dampened hair. She instinctively knew that he didn't want to be alone just yet and so in silence they waited for the headache to recede.

Eventually Daniel's jaw relaxed and his breathing evened out. Janet waited another few minutes until his hand released the cloth on his head and flopped down at his side. She gently removed the cloth and, unable to resist, bent over and placed a kiss on Daniel's now smooth brow. He murmured in his sleep and turned his head into the pillow.

Janet and Sam had often remarked on how beautiful Daniel looked when he was asleep. Sam had the edge on Janet in this conversation, usually held over a bottle of wine. She had opportunity to see Daniel naturally asleep when they camped overnight off-world whereas Janet usually only saw him unconscious or in pain. Either way they both agreed he was like a gorgeous little boy when his facial features relaxed in sleep and long dark lashes rested on his cheeks, even though they were hiding blue eyes that were to die for.

Janet continued to sit watching Daniel sleep until the dawn light started to seep into the room and she roused herself to leave Daniel to his slumbers and return to her own bed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Janet awoke with the alarm later her first thought was for her guest. She put on her robe and tiptoed into the spare room to check on her guest/patient. Daniel was still asleep, one arm flung over his head. Janet smiled and quietly closed the door before going to have a shower and make breakfast before the pair of them headed back to the mountain.

She was just brewing a large pot of coffee when Daniel appeared in the kitchen. As Janet turned to see him her heart lurched. If he looked gorgeous when he was asleep he looked even better with tousled hair, sleepy eyes and crumpled pajamas. If Sam could see me now Janet thought as she composed herself enough to squeak "Coffee Daniel?"

"Thanks" he smiled perching on a stool at the counter and reaching grateful for the mug she offered.

This is crazy Janet told herself as she sat opposite Daniel clutching her own mug. Her heart was thumping so loud she was sure Daniel would hear it.

Daniel was preoccupied, however, and gave no indication that he was aware of the discomfort his doctor was suffering.

"About last night" he began wanting to apologize for waking her.

"Daniel think nothing of it" Janet reassured him "What are friends for?"

Daniel smiled relieved that he didn't have to discuss the matter further. His nightmares were a bit of an embarrassment to him. He had got used to Jack seeing him have them and even Sam and T'ealc if they occurred when they were off-world but he had never suffered one in Dr Fraiser's presence before.

"I had a good evening" Janet changed the subject pleased to see Daniel's smile.

"Me too" he admitted, "although I was a bit worried at first."

"You were the perfect date Dr Jackson" Janet laughed refilling his now empty mug. "Now what would you like for breakfast?"

"Just coffee" Daniel started to say but stopping when he realized this was his doctor he was talking to and remembering all the lectures he had been subjected to over the years regarding his diet.

"Or toast and eggs would be good" he added relieved when Janet nodded her approval and turned back to the stove.

They shared a companionable breakfast, at ease with each other's company, and then, once Daniel had showered and dressed, they headed to the Base together. If the guard on the entrance had any opinion regarding the Archaeologist and the Medical Officer leaving together last night and returning together this morning he had enough sense to keep it to himself.

They travelled down in the lift together and exited on the infirmary level. At the door of the infirmary they stood together unsure how to end their date.

Daniel reached down and clasped Janet's hands in his and brought them to his lips. He gently kissed them both and smiled into her amazed brown eyes.

"Thank you" he said simply and releasing her trembling hands turned and headed in the direction of his office.

Janet stood there stunned for a moment before hastily looking around to see if anyone had seen what had happened. Luckily the corridor was empty and she pushed open the door of the infirmary and headed towards her office hoping she could get there and cool her flushed cheeks before any of the nurses saw her.

How she worked through the morning she had no idea. Obviously on the face of it she was the competent Base Medical Officer, dealing with patients, paperwork and answering the nurses' queries as usual but inside she was as nervous as a schoolgirl. Her heart was fluttering and she kept blushing for no reason. At one point, during their coffee break, one of the nurses commented on Janet's flushed appearance but she laughed it off putting it down to her age and no more was said.

As she sat in her office at lunchtime she went over and over the scene in the corridor. The pile of paperwork in front of her didn't diminish, she read and re-read reports and lab results but nothing registered.

This is ridiculous she told herself. You're a mature woman not a teenager, it meant nothing he was just being nice.

Yes he was nice she thought as her head spun with visions of Daniel in pajamas, Daniel kissing her hand, Daniel smiling at her. Once again the papers fell from her hand as she sank into a sea of beautiful memories.

A tap on her office door interrupted her. Smoothing her hair and shuffling the papers in front of her she called out "Come in" expecting one of the nursing staff to have a query for her. She was astounded to see Daniel standing there holding a tray of sandwiches, fruit and juice in front of him.

"Is this OK?" he asked unsure whether bringing lunch to his doctor was the correct protocol.

Since his injury there had been some changes in Daniel's personality as was expected. Janet had explained to SG1 that Daniel was never going to be exactly the same as he had before and that some people suffered major personality changes after a brain injury. In Daniel's case these had been comparatively minor and actually mostly for the better.

For a start he smiled more. Once upon a time a smile from Dr Jackson was a rare gift but now these smiles were more frequent and although sometimes sad still welcome. He had also seemed to start enjoying himself more and not throwing himself into his work as an escape from his problems.

Initially he had been strictly forbidden to work for more than an hour or so each day and so after all the therapy sessions had been finished he had leisure time to fill and at first he was totally at a loss as to what to do with himself.

SG1 had stepped in. Jack had taken him to a baseball game, a football game, an ice-hockey game, and a basketball game and was planning a fishing trip. Daniel didn't have the heart to tell him how much he hated sport and continued to go along with him anyway if only to enjoy the company, the hot dogs and popcorn and, in the end, actually found himself enjoying these outings.

Sam was almost as much a workaholic as he was but her abiding passion, which lurked in the bowels of the SGC, was her motorbike and, once Janet had given Daniel the all clear, she had taken him for rides on this shining metal monster. He had never thought he would enjoy it so much but as they tore over the mountain together with the wind in their faces he had forgotten all his troubles and, for the first time in years, truly let himself go.

T'ealc had a massive video collection which he and Daniel watched together in his quarters when Jack and Sam were otherwise engaged. Daniel had instructed T'ealc in the Star Wars movies, Indiana Jones and Lethal Weapon and they were now starting some serious study on the James Bond films.

Everyone agreed that so far Daniel seemed a happier individual. Jack had a theory that, when faced with death from Osiris and his ribbon device, Daniel had realized that life was for living. Janet was sure that this was due to the chemical changes within the brain as it healed itself but kept this to herself. She, as much as anyone, also appreciated the change in Daniel.

Personality changes or whatever Janet was amazed to see Daniel in her office that lunchtime. It was so unlike the 'old' Dr Jackson that she would never have dreamt of such a thing happening. All morning she had been wondering when she would see Daniel again, what she would say, what he would say etc etc etc but now she was totally taken aback.

"Come in" she stammered, moving papers aside so that he could put the tray down.

"I wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do" he confided as he sat down at the opposite side of the desk.

Janet smiled across at his handsome troubled face "It was the perfect thing to do" she said putting him immediately at ease. A radiant smile lit up his face as he reached over to grab a sandwich.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SG1 were due back that evening and so Daniel hung around the Control Room waiting for their GDO signal. Janet was on duty until midnight and knew she would see Daniel later that evening when SG1 came for their post-op medical checks. She had gone about her work with a smile on her face all afternoon and more than one nurse had correctly put this down to the lunchtime visit from Dr Jackson.

Everyone in the infirmary liked their boss. The diminutive Janet Fraiser had made many friends among her colleagues and workmates during her years with the SGC. Everyone in the infirmary also liked Dr Daniel Jackson. They had got to know him quite well, as he was a regular visitor to the infirmary for one reason or another. They had all commiserated with him while he was confined to the infirmary following the death of his wife and they had all been devastated by his recent run in with Osiris. Now seeing him well on the road to recovery and apparently starting more than a doctor/patient relationship with Janet Fraiser they all wished the couple well whatever the future might hold.

"SG1's code sir" the Sergeant on the Control Desk announced as the Stargate sprang into action.

"Open the iris" General Hammond ordered as he appeared at the Control Room window.

As soon as the Sergeant had confirmed the iris code as SG1s Daniel had dashed out of the Control Room, down the stairs and into the Gate Room and was now waiting impatiently at the bottom of the ramp for his colleagues to return.

"Well if it isn't old Doc Jackson" Jack commented as he stepped off the ramp closely followed by Sam and T'ealc and Daniel's replacement.

"Did you have a good time guys?" Daniel asked mentally checking them over and relieved to see that they were all present and correct. Hopefully that meant the post-operative medical would be short and he might get to spend some quality time with Janet while SG1 debriefed and before heading home with Jack.

"Did you have a good time Daniel?" Jack asked in return and was surprised to see a flush creep up Daniel's neck until it burned in his cheeks.

"Same old, same old" Daniel managed to stammer frantically trying to think how the hell Jack could have found out about his date with Janet Fraiser.

Jack and Sam exchanged glances while T'ealc merely raised an eyebrow at the flustered archaeologist in front of them.

"SG1 head to the infirmary, we debrief in one hour" General Hammond called to them over the tannoy. Jack signaled that he had received and understood the order with something between a wave and a salute and SG1 with Daniel close behind headed to the infirmary.

As Daniel had predicted it didn't take long for Janet Fraiser to give SG1 the all clear. As they headed off to shower before their scheduled de-brief with General Hammond Jack had turned to where Daniel was perched on one of the gurneys swinging his legs.

"We'll be about an hour Daniel, you OK to hang around until then?"

Daniel continued swinging his legs "No rush Jack, take your time" he smiled, not daring to catch Janet's eye.

Jack headed off into the showers his in-built 'Daniel radar' working overtime. Why did he look some damned cheerful after being left to his own devices for a couple of days and why wasn't he tagging along at Jack's heels as he had been prior to this mission?

Pushing thoughts of Daniel to the back of his mind Jack showered, changed and headed off to the de-brief. As he waited for the lift he planned a treat for Daniel. He would ask Sam and T'ealc as well and they could all go to O'Malley's for a steak. That'll cheer Daniel up he decided before stopping to realize that Daniel, for once, didn't look as if he needed cheering up.

"Are you alright Daniel?" Janet asked concerned at his silence and constant leg swinging.

"What, Oh yes fine, I'm fine" Daniel stuttered pulling himself back to reality.

Janet started to tidy away all the equipment she had used during the recent examinations and Daniel watched her every move.

"Janet"

She raised her head from her task and smiled "Yes Daniel?"

"I had a really great time last night."

"So did I"

"Can we do it again sometime, perhaps, if you want to, maybe......."

Janet's smile broadened.

"I would love to Daniel" she answered truthfully.

"Great, that's great" he smiled hopping down off the gurney. "OK well I'll just ...." He motioned in the general direction of the door and Janet took it that he was heading up to meet Jack when the de-brief was over.

As the infirmary door slapped shut Janet turned to see Nurse Clarke and Nurse Watson watching her.

"Have you finished those reports yet nurse?" she snapped before heading into her office. As she closed her office door she could have sworn she heard giggling.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Jack and the rest of SG1 came out of the Briefing Room it was to find their favorite archaeologist lounging against the corridor wall deep in thought.

"Penny for them" Jack's voice broke through Daniel's reverie and he pushed himself upright and smiled happily at his teammates.

Dr Tyrell, Daniel's replacement, temporary replacement Jack always reminded him, bade his colleagues goodnight and headed home. He had a wife and family waiting for him and had no time or inclination to hang around once a mission was over.

"So Daniel, O'Malley's, my treat, you up for it?" Jack asked putting a friendly arm around Daniel's shoulder and turning him in the direction of the lift.

"Umm, yeah, well OK" Daniel murmured wondering how he could get to say goodnight to Janet before Jack dragged him off base.

"Sam T'ealc you coming, my shout" Jack called over his shoulder.

"That is indeed an offer I cannot refuse O'Neill" T'ealc announced "what about you Major Carter?"

"Well if the Colonel's paying I'm in" she laughed linking arms with the Jaffa and following Jack and Daniel to the lifts.

"Jack could we ask Janet if she wants to come?" Daniel ventured shyly. He didn't want to broadcast his newfound feelings for the Medical Officer but he really wanted to spend more time in her company.

If Jack O'Neill was surprised years of black ops training made sure he didn't show it.

"Why not" he replied casually, shooting a glance over his shoulder and meeting eyes with his 2IC. They exchanged questioning looks that said 'Yes I agree there is something funny going on' but decided to bide their time.

Janet was just heading towards her car when Jack O'Neill yelled her name.

"Colonel, anything wrong?"

"You hungry Doc?" the Colonel hollered as he crossed the car park towards her. Janet could see Daniel hovering near the Colonel's jeep and Sam and T'ealc also heading that way.

"Why do you ask Colonel?" Janet asked in he best talking to a superior officer voice.

"We're heading to O'Malley's and Dannyboy here thought you might like to join us. Jack motioned over his shoulder to where Daniel was waiting his hands stuffed in his pockets and his fists tightly clenched.

Janet looked at Daniel and then back at the Colonel. "Why not" she waved at Daniel "I'll meet you there, I just need to call Cassie and let her know I'll be late" she reminded the Colonel as she pulled her cellphone out of her bag and punched in the number.

They had another great evening. Daniel had hated being excluded from joining his team on missions even though he knew he wasn't 100% but these sort of informal get togethers were something he could join in and they meant a lot to him.

This evening was, of course, even more special because Janet Fraiser was seated opposite him, smiling and chatting to Sam. Daniel couldn't take his eyes off her. He thought he had done really well getting her here without anyone suspecting his motives but he was totally unaware that both Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter were quickly catching on to what was not going on right in front of them.

Janet was sparkling, she looked radiant and was laughing and chatting to her companions. Daniel, on the other hand, was silent most of the time, his eyes fixed on Janet unless he thought someone was watching him when he would either give studious attention to the menu or quickly look down at his plate. By the end of the evening Jack and Sam were both convinced there was something going on between their two friends and they couldn't wait to get together for a good old chinwag.

As the evening drew to a close Jack tried to work out how he could let Daniel take Janet Fraiser home while he took Sam and T'ealc. As Daniel couldn't drive this was a problem but he finally hit upon a solution.

"Oh hell not again" Jack moaned as he tried to fire the engine on his jeep. He tried a few more times becoming more exasperated as the engine refused to fire.

"Looks like the old girl needs a visit to the garage" he sighed "now how do we get home?"

Sam picked up on his plan immediately and jumped in. "If Janet could run Daniel home I could tow you to the garage and then drop T'ealc off" she suggested.

It was a lame plan but the best he could come up with at such short notice. Luckily Janet and Daniel were so busy making eyes at one another that they failed to grasp what was happening until Sam pushed Daniel towards Janet's car and then hissed at Janet "take him home, you'll have a good couple of hours before the Colonel gets back."

Janet stared at Sam open-mouthed before she realized what Sam was telling her and she exchanged a smile with her friend, mouthed a thank you, and, checking Daniel was in the car and belted in, sped off towards Jack's house.

T'ealc stood stoically in the car park while this plot was hatched under his very nose. He watched Janet and Daniel drive away

"O'Neill I believe your car is fully functional" he announced, raising an eyebrow as Sam and Jack burst into peals of laughter.

"Indeed it is T'ealc, indeed it is" Jack spluttered, holding up a spark plug for T'ealc inspection.

"I do not understand O'Neill why do you not wish to take DanielJackson home?" T'ealc persisted.

"T'ealc buddy in the good old days back on Chulak what did you do when you had the hots for a girl?" Jack asked.

T'ealc raised an eyebrow "I presume by the hots you are referring to when one wishes to get to know a member of the opposite sex better?"

"Couldn't have put it better myself T" Jack agreed. "Well what did you do?"

"On Chulak if two people wished to spend more time together they would go into the woods alone" T'ealc suddenly smiled as realization dawned.

"Are you suggesting that DanielJackson and Dr Fraiser wish to spend more time together O'Neill?"

"Got it in one"

Jack popped the hood and replaced the errant spark plug and then started the engine.

"Hop in fellow conspirators"

"Where are we going Sir?" Sam asked wondering how they were going to pass the next couple of hours.

"Do you have beer in your fridge Carter? Jack asked. Sam got the message.

"To my place then."

The three colleagues hopped into their respective vehicles and Sam led the way to her house. A few beers and a video would pass the time nicely while Janet and Daniel spent some quality time together.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By the time Jack O'Neill arrived home Janet had left and Daniel was sprawled on the couch listening to opera with a dreamy look on his face.

Jack smiled to himself 'yes it looks as if my match making skills are still as sharp as ever' he thought as he switched on the overhead light, causing Daniel to jump up.

"Dr Fraiser left?" Jack teased; keeping a deadpan expression on his face but inwardly delighted to see the consternation the question caused his friend.

"Umm, she stayed for a few minutes" Daniel started to explain "we listened to some music" Jack waited for Daniel to continue to splutter out his explanation.

"Was that OK?" he wondered why Jack wasn't saying anything, just looking at him with that strange expression.

Jack finally put Daniel out of his misery "That's fine Daniel, just fine."

Jack headed into the kitchen and opened the fridge.

"Want some cocoa Daniel?" Jack asked getting the milk carton out and turning to his friend.

Daniel nodded "why not" he agreed getting up and heading over to the counter and perching on the stool while Jack heated the milk.

Jack waited and his patience was finally rewarded when Daniel cleared his throat.

"Jack"

"Yes Daniel"

"Do you like Janet Fraiser?"

"Yeah, she's a good doctor" Jack tried to keep a straight face.

"No I mean as a person, as a friend" Daniel stuttered, his face getting pinker by the moment.

"OK, yes she's a good friend too, and a good Mum to Cassie" he added.

Silence reigned in the room for a while. Jack continued to watch the pan of milk on the stove and Daniel picked at a loose thread on the place mat nearest him.

"Jack"

"Yes Daniel"

"Do you think it would be OK for Janet and I to see each other?" Daniel kept his head down, not daring to meet his CO's eyes.

Jack couldn't resist.

"Don't you see enough of her in the infirmary?"

"No I mean outside work..............." Daniel started to explain before finally catching on. His blue eyes met Jack's gray ones and Daniel realized that he was being teased. His blush deepened before Jack finally put him out of his misery by coming round to his side of the counter and enveloping him a bear hug.

"Daniel if you and Janet want to take your friendship further then I, we" he corrected himself to include Sam and T'ealc "think that's just great."

Daniel nodded happily. "I think I, I mean, I think we do" he admitted.

"Well let's drink to that" Jack suggested handing Daniel a steaming mug of cocoa.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over the next few weeks Daniel and Janet continued to make tentative inroads into their new relationship. It wasn't easy as Base Medical Officer Daniel was still technically Janet's patient although she had handed his day to day care over to Dr Warner.

SG1 continued to go off world and Daniel continued to work at the SGC. He was improving all the time, his linguistic skills had returned and apart from an apparent inability to read or speak German for some inexplicable reason he was otherwise back to normal.

He had moved out of Jack's house, insisting that he was quite capable of living in his own apartment and this gave him and Janet some time alone, away from the rest of SG1 and from Cassie. The only drawback was Daniel's inability to learn how to drive but he managed with lifts from friends and colleagues with the occasional taxi thrown in.

All in all life was good for Daniel for the first time in years. It seemed strange to admit but actually Osiris had done him a favour when she zapped him with the ribbon device he decided. All the minor problems the injury had left him with were far outweighed by the positive aspects of his 'new' life.

Daniel was looking forward to rejoining SG1. He had undergone intensive physiotherapy sessions plus training sessions with T'ealc in order to get him back up to full fitness. Today he had been passed as A1 by the PTI and there was a definite skip in Dr Jackson's step as he left the gym and headed towards the infirmary. He had a final medical examination scheduled with Dr Warner at 1500 hours but before that he hoped to see Janet in her lunch break and then he had promised to look at some artifacts SG4 had brought back from P3X 727.

Daniel and Jack sat opposite one another in the canteen. There relationship was no secret anymore and everyone was now used to seeing the pair together.

"...so I'm fighting fit and ready to go" Daniel finished as he forked up another mouthful of pasta.

Janet didn't look quite so pleased at the news. She was quite happy to have Daniel firmly fixed on Base so that she could keep an eye on him. Once he went off world who knows what might happen. She had always hated him coming back injured or sick before they had become a couple but now they were an 'item' she didn't know how she could face watching him go through the Gate into goodness knows what sort of trouble.

Daniel picked up on her mood "I'll be careful, I promise" he said reaching across the table to grasp her small hand in his larger one.

Janet snorted "careful you I doubt it very much."

"Janet are you saying I'm accident-prone" Daniel looked hurt. Janet laughed "that's one word for it, some others are, a disaster area, a troublemonger, an accident waiting to happen......"

"OK, OK I get the picture" Daniel laughed holding his hands up in surrender.

"Seriously Daniel I don't want anything to happen to you" Janet begged "please take care."

"Daniel's face took on a serious expression "I promise," he said reaching over and kissing Janet gently on the lips.

Her horrified glance around the canteen made him smile before looking at his watch and pushing himself to his feet.

"Well Dr Fraiser pleasant as this lunch has been I have an appointment with an artifact" he explained before heading out of the canteen and towards Dr Tyrell's office where the stuff SG4 had brought back was awaiting his inspection.

"I'll get you later" Janet promised still blushing from the unexpected kiss.

"I'll hold you to that" Daniel called over his shoulder just before the doors closed behind him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"So where exactly did you find these?" Daniel asked picking up a familiar gold key and examining the detail on it.

"There was a temple near the Gate" Dr Tyrell explained "it was in ruins but it looked like a recent hit" he went on as Daniel continued to gaze at the piece.

"Who was the temple dedicated to, could you tell?" Daniel asked hoping this might give him a clue as to why it had been destroyed.

"Osiris" Dr Tyrell realized as soon as he had spoken what that name would mean to Dr Jackson.

Daniel stopped what he was doing and started at Dr Tyrell for a moment.

"Was there any sign of her.....him?" he asked.

"There was no sign of any life on the planet" Dr Tyrell explained "just the ruined temple and these artifacts."

Daniel nodded "Do you mind if I take this back to my office to check it with some reference books." Daniel waved the ornate key in his colleague's direction.

Daniel headed back to his office, checking his watch. It was 1415 hours so that gave him 45 minutes to cross-reference the ornate device he had in his hand before he had to go for his medical.

He flicked on the lamp on his desk, pushed a pile of books and papers to one side and held the artifact under the lamp to get a better look at the inscription on it. He was certain this was the key Osiris had used to activate the ring device from the temple in Egypt.

As Daniel held the key and tried to read the inscription his head started to swim. He took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. He felt slightly light headed and nauseous but couldn't think why. He had eaten lunch and although he had stayed at Janet's last night and they had had better things to do than sleep he had actually managed a few hours.

He tried to shake off the feeling and decided a cup of coffee might clear his head. He replaced the key on the desk and stood up to refill the coffeepot when he staggered. He clutched the edge of the desk as his vision blurred and darkness crept in. The last thing he remembered was hearing the coffeepot smash on the floor as he fell unconscious among the shards of glass.

Dr Warner let the phone ring and ring in Daniel's office before deciding to contact Janet Fraiser to see if she knew where he might be. On his way to Janet's office he saw Colonel O'Neill heading his way.

"Doc just wondered if Daniel had been given the all clear," he yelled as he approached.

"He may well have Colonel if he had turned up" Dr Warner replied looking slightly disgruntled at being kept waiting.

"Does Janet know where he is?" Jack asked.

"I'm just on my way to find out" Dr Warner informed the Colonel and they fell into step as they descended on Janet's office.

"No he left the canteen nearly 2 hours ago" Janet told the two men standing in front of her. "He was going to look at some artifacts SG4 had brought back and he knew he had a medical at 1500 hours because he mentioned it."

"Artifacts, that magic word" Jack O'Neill groaned. "Ten to one he's buried his nose in a book and forgotten the time" Jack guessed.

Both doctors nodded in agreement, they were both well aware of Dr Jackson's habit of immersing himself in his work and forgetting not only the time, but to eat, sleep, all those important things.

"I'll ferret him out" Jack promised.

Trust Daniel to forget his final medical Jack thought as he headed towards the archaeologist's office. He was really looking forward to having SG1 back to normal again. It had been a long haul but Daniel had done the business and once Warner had passed him fit they could schedule their first mission together as a team for over 8 months.

Jack knocked on Daniel's office door and, getting no response, tut tutted to himself as he pushed the door open prepared to give his friend a good old dressing down.

At first Jack didn't notice the body sprawled on the floor. He took in the empty desk, the pile of papers and the overturned chair and then Daniel unconscious on the floor.

"Damn it" Jack knelt down beside the unconscious archaeologist and felt for a pulse. He breathed a sigh of relief it was there, weak but still there thank God.

He jumped up and grabbed the phone "Medical Team to Dr Jackson's office stat" he yelled, throwing the phone down and returning to his colleague's side.

"Danny what the hell happened?" he murmured brushing away the glass that surrounded his stricken colleague.

He could do nothing but wait. He made sure Daniel was still breathing and crouched by his side protectively waiting for the medical team to arrive. As he waited Daniel groaned and Jack hoped this meant he was regaining consciousness but Daniel's back arched, his eyes rolled back and he went rigid as the seizure took him in its grip.

Jack had seen these before just after Daniel's injury but they had disappeared and Daniel had been off medication for over 4 months now.

"Why the hell now?" Jack asked as he held Daniel as his body convulsed, knowing there was nothing he could do but ride it out with his friend.

The medical team crashed into Daniel's office just as the seizure ended and Daniel slumped into Jack's arms. Janet fell to her knees next to the Colonel and, while checking Daniel's pulse, looked enquiringly at Jack.

Jack explained what had happened while Janet listened carefully. At the same time she supervised the setting up of an IV and watched anxiously as the medical team carefully loaded their patient onto a gurney before heading to the infirmary.

Jack followed the cavalcade as it swiftly headed to the infirmary. As the doors slapped shut in his face Jack sank into the nearest chair. His heart was thudding and his legs had turned to jelly. He dropped his head into his hands.

'Why had this happened now, just when everything seemed to be going fine? he asked himself.

"Sir?" a tentative enquiry from a female voice caused him to raise his head to see his 2IC standing anxiously in front of him.

"What happened?" Sam had heard the call for the medical team and had rushed down to Daniel's office just in time to see them disappearing in the direction of the infirmary.

"He's just had another seizure" Jack dropped his head back into his hands unable to meet Sam's astonished gaze.

"Why?" she asked sitting down next to the Colonel "Why should it happen now?"

"How the hell should I know Carter" Jack snapped before getting control of his emotions.

"Sorry" he apologized holding his trembling hands out in front of him.

"Look at me, I'm a nervous wreck" he laughed weakly. Sam risked it and took both his hands in hers. Jack raised his head and smiled sadly at the Major.

"He'll be the death of me," he admitted.

The two members of SG1 waited in silence together for news and were eventually joined by T'ealc as soon as news of Daniel's recent collapse had reached him.

The wait seemed interminable. Each member of SG1 was lost in his or her own thoughts. They had all been looking forward to Daniel rejoining them again and now this plan had been dashed in an instant.

Eventually an exhausted and emotional Dr Fraiser came out to meet them.

"He's still unconscious" she continued "We're running some tests to see why this has happened now."

"Can we see him?" Jack asked, needing to reassure himself that Daniel was still breathing.

Janet nodded "Just for a few minutes "we need to get an MRI scan done as soon as possible to see what's going on."

She held the door open and allowed the members of SG1 to file into the ICU where Daniel was lying pale and unresponsive, wired up to every known medical machine and with nurses bustling around him.

"De ja vu" Jack murmured as he sat down next to the bed and picked up Daniel's cold, limp hand and held it firmly in his.

Sam put her arm around Janet "Are you OK?" she asked quietly knowing how upset the doctor would be by this latest occurrence.

Janet shook her head not trusting herself to speak. Her brown eyes filled with tears that she forced herself to hold back. She had to act in a professional manner if she wanted to stay near Daniel. She knew that if she allowed herself the luxury of tears Dr Warner would have her whisked out of the infirmary and she wouldn't be able to stay close to him.

At that moment two nurses appeared with Dr Warner in tow ready to take Daniel for the MRI scan and Sam took this opportunity to point Janet in the direction of her office where they could have a little privacy. Jack acknowledged Sam's nod and responded by accompanying Daniel as they headed for the scanner. He knew he was in the way but there was no way in hell he was going to let Daniel out of his sight.

Sam closed the office door and Janet sank into her chair the tears she had held back so successfully now falling thick and fast. Sam handed her a box of tissues and waited patiently until the crying eventually ceased and Janet wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

"I'm sorry that was so unprofessional," she admitted to her friend and colleague as she threw the used tissues in the waste bin.

"It's OK Janet I understand, we all feel the same; why do you think it has happened now?" Sam probed.

Janet shook her head "I can't explain it Sam" she admitted, "it shouldn't have happened."

The two colleagues sat together in silence; each locked in their own thoughts. Janet was remembering all the good times she and Daniel had spent together recently as a couple. She remembered how wonderful it felt when they had lain together in her bed, content in each other's company.

Sam, on the other hand, was trying to come up with a reason why Daniel should have collapsed so suddenly and inexplicably.

"What was he doing just prior to his collapse?" she asked Janet.

"We had just had lunch together and he was going to collect some artifacts from Dr Tyrell to look at before his medical." The two women exchanged glances.

"The artifacts that must be it. You stay here while I go and collect them from Daniel's office" Sam instructed.

"Be careful," Janet warned, "we don't know what we're looking at here."

Sam nodded and raced to Daniel's office while Janet waited impatiently for both Sam and Daniel's return.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daniel was still unconscious and Jack was sitting vigil. Janet should have gone off duty hours ago but Dr Warner might as well have asked her to chop off her right arm as ask her to leave the infirmary while Dr Jackson was there. He accepted this and allowed her to work through his shift as well as her own.

Sam had brought the artifact back to her own lab and she and Janet were examining it and conducting various tests on it to determine if this had anything at all to do with Daniel's relapse.

It was tedious work; they tried experiment after experiment to see if the artifact would yield anything of use. While they worked well into the night Jack continued to sit with Daniel waiting impatiently for any signs of improvement and while he waited T'ealc elected to stand guard in the infirmary, a large silent protector of the two men.

Janet had just about given up any hope that they might be able to find the key to Daniel's condition when Sam suggested they try checking the artifact for traces of the substance they had found in the Isis jar. Janet had agreed wearily. She had spent the past few hours flitting between Sam's lab and Daniel's bedside. She was exhausted but no force on earth was going to make her rest until they had something positive to work with.

Janet sat down next to Sam at the bench and watched as Sam tested the artifact. Her eyes were heavy and soon she gave in and laid her aching head on her arms on Sam's desk and slept.

Sam noticed her friend sleeping next to her but decided to leave her to sleep until she had some positive news for her. Alone in the gloom Sam continued to search for the key that would bring Daniel back to them.

Jack was also sleeping. He had resisted all attempts by the medical staff to move him from Daniel's side. There had been no change in his condition since he had been brought to the infirmary. He remained deeply unconscious and the myriad of tubes and wires continued to report on his unchanging condition to the various members of the medical staff who hovered around his bed.

"Colonel we may have something."

Jack jerked up, immediately awake. He waited for Sam to explain. Both she and Janet looked tired but excited and he prayed that they had some good news. A couple of hours ago Jack had woken to find Daniel suffering another seizure. The nurse had been quick to act; injecting anti-seizure medication into the IV and restraining Daniel's jerking body on the narrow bed. Jack had waited unable to do anything to help his friend and hating to see him gripped by yet another seizure.

While Sam explained to the Colonel that she had found a trace of a substance on the artifact that was also present on the Isis jar Janet stroked Daniel's sweat dampened hair back from his forehead while the nurse filled her in on the last couple of hours, the recent seizure and Daniel's current condition.

"I'm guessing that when Osiris used the 'key' to activate the ring transporter in the tomb this also allowed the substance that was present on the 'key' to transfer to Osiris and then to Daniel via the ribbon device."

"And?" Jack waited for more.

"And the substance is also the same as that used in the Isis jar and, I assuming, in the Osiris jar, to sedate the Goauld symbiotes for thousands of years."

"And?"

"And when this substance was transferred to Daniel it caused symptoms which manifested themselves as a brain injury. Over the months this substance has finally dissipated making it look, to us, as if Daniel was making a good recovery from a brain injury when, in fact, he never actually had a brain injury in the usual sense of the word."

"And?"

"And now what little of the substance remaining on the 'key' has transferred itself to Daniel again causing the same symptoms as before."

Sam waited she had given the Colonel all the information she had. She didn't want him to ask when Daniel was going to wake up, whether he would be OK or whether he would be back to square one. She didn't have the answers to these questions unfortunately.

"So Doc why doesn't he wake up?" Jack turned his attention to Janet Fraiser who turned her attention from Daniel to the Colonel.

"We don't know how much of the substance Daniel has absorbed" she explained.

"If there was a significant amount on the key then yes, I'm afraid we may be back to square one but" she smiled slightly "if there was only residue left then it is a possibility that once he wakes up he may be fine."

Jack smiled; yes that's what he wanted to hear. He returned to Daniel's side and took his unresponsive hand in his.

"Hear that Dannyboy, time to wake up."

Daniel obviously didn't agree. Jack gave up his seat next to Daniel to Janet and headed off for a shower, a shave and a change of clothes. He glanced at the Base's Medical Officer and thought that she too could do with the same plus a long sleep but knew he would be wasting his time suggesting this as he watched her clasp Daniel's hand in hers and lay her head on the side of his bed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over the next few days Jack and Janet took it in turns to sit with Daniel. The signs were looking good. A repeat MRI had shown no evidence of brain damage and Daniel was showing some signs of waking up and had had no more seizures. It was Jack's turn this afternoon and he sat holding Daniel's hand with one of his while juggling a pile of paperwork with the other.

"Jck?" Daniel finally managed to break through the fog in his brain enough to wake up. He was aware that someone was holding his hand and guessed correctly who the someone might be. He could vaguely remember something similar happening before; maybe Jack could tell him what had happened if he could only make himself heard.

He groaned as a blinding pain took up residence inside his skull.

"Daniel?" he opened piercing blue eyes just enough to check that it was Jack's face hanging over him and then shut them quickly as the pain increased a notch.

"Umm" not a lot from a linguist Daniel had to admit but it was the best he could come up with just now. He winced in pain as Jack yelled for a doctor knowing that their arrival would mean prodding, probing and more pain.

A cool soft hand was placed on his hot forehead and he sighed with relief as the pain dimmed slightly.

"Daniel?" a female voice, it must be Dr Fraiser or Sam he thought. He risked a peek just to be sure which one it was but the pain intensified once more and this time a wave of nausea washed over him.

"Sick" he managed to whisper as he tried to turn onto his side. Immediately hands helped him turn and held him firm while he vomited into the bowl held out for him. After several minutes of dry heaves Daniel sank back into the pillows exhausted. Someone wiped his face with a cool damp cloth and smoothed his hair off his forehead but he was too tired to find out who it was.

He heard Jack and the female talking and from the gist of the conversation worked out that it was Janet who was there. He wanted to talk to her, to tell her to stay with him but the sickness and pain made that impossible and instead he lay as quiet as possible in the hope that his stomach would stop churning.

"Daniel I'm going to give you something for the pain and the nausea" Janet told him. He nodded slightly before instantly regretting it as the pain stabbed at his skull and his stomach rolled over.

Janet must have noticed his discomfort he thought because the cool cloth returned to wipe his brow and a soft hand patted his cheek.

As the pain and nausea abated Daniel drifted back to sleep safe in the knowledge that Jack and Janet wouldn't let anything bad happen to him in the meantime.

The next time Daniel awoke the pain had dulled to a bearable throb and he managed to open his eyes enough to see the blurry image of Janet Fraiser sitting next to his bed.

"Jnnnnt" Daniel croaked but it was enough for the petite doctor to be on her feet and leaning over him so that he could see her face without having to move his head at all.

"How're you feeling Daniel?"

"Better" Daniel admitted.

"Pain?" Daniel knew the drill.

"Bout a 6" he admitted. Janet nodded and reached for the kidney dish on the bedside table.

"This should help" she promised as she injected something into his IV. It did, he was swept away on a sea of dreams and confusing images as the drug coursed through his veins.

Over the next couple of days Daniel's headaches improved and he managed to spend more and more time in the land of the conscious.

At first he had been confused and unsure of what had happened but between them Sam, Janet and Jack had filled him in.

"The curse of Osiris strikes again" Daniel smiled ruefully as they explained about the re-infection with the substance on the artifact.

Janet carried out a complete series of tests just to make sure but finally agreed that Daniel was going to be fine in a few weeks and just needed to rest a little before rejoining SG1. On hearing this Jack headed off to see the Base Commander, General Hammond, to hatch a little plan.

"I agree totally Colonel" General Hammond said after hearing Colonel O'Neill's plans for his archaeologist's convalescence. He picked up the phone on his desk "I'll make the necessary arrangements myself" he told his 2IC "leave it with me."

Daniel was being discharged from the infirmary that afternoon. He was still weak and wobbly on his legs but he would be in safe hands going home with Jack O'Neill and with Janet Fraiser popping in to see him as often as her workload allowed.

Daniel and Janet had picked up their relationship where they had left it before Daniel's relapse. She would have liked to take him home with her to convalesce but her working hours plus having to look after Cassie made it more sensible for Jack to take Daniel home.

"So I'll be round tonight as soon as my shift finishes" Janet promised as she handed Jack a bag with Daniel's medication and a list of do's and don'ts.

She bent to kiss Daniel before Jack wheeled him to the surface and took him home. He had insisted he could walk but after getting dressed and walking around the room a little he had admitted defeat and allowed the dreaded wheelchair to be put into use.

"See you later" Daniel said mouthing a silent 'I love you' before Jack wheeled him out of the infirmary.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That evening as Daniel and Janet sat together on the couch Jack outlined General Hammond's plans for them.

"................and you'll be back in 2 weeks ready for the medical you ducked a few weeks ago" Jack finished explaining.

"Sounds good to me" Daniel said turning to Janet.

"I agree" she smiled "Thanks Jack."

"Don't thank me it was the General's idea" Jack explained.

General Hammond had made arrangements for Daniel and Janet to spend two weeks at his cabin in the mountains. This should give Daniel time to convalesce and get back to full fitness and, at the same, time allow Daniel and Janet to get to know one another away from the stresses and strains of life in Cheyenne Mountain. It had also been arranged that Sam would look after Cassie and that SG1 would remain on stand down until Daniel was ready to rejoin them. Jack had plenty of paperwork to catch up on and T'ealc was going to take the opportunity to visit his son.

"So all's well that ends well" Jack added raising his bottle of beer.

Three weeks later..........

Daniel and Janet had spent an idyllic two weeks together at the cabin. They had walked, swum in the lake, talked late into the night, made love and returned to the SGC sun tanned and happy.

Now as General Hammond and Dr Janet Fraiser stood at the window in the Control Room SG1 was ready to go through the gate on their first mission together for nearly a year.

It had been a long haul but finally Daniel was fully fit and healthy psychologically as well as physically thanks to his blossoming relationship with Janet Fraiser.

Neither of them knew what the future would hold for them, in their work the future was uncertain at least but they had promised to make the best of whatever time they had together and cherish every moment.

Daniel blew Janet a kiss as the event horizon settled and they prepared to leave.

General Hammond sent them on their way "SG1 you have a go, good luck and God speed"

Finis

Please, please, please send me feedback.

beverleybeaumont@hotmail.com

52

52

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to BeeBee