Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

One of a Kind

by Authorrn
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
One of a Kind

One of a Kind

by Authorrn

TITLE: One of a Kind
Author: Authorrn
Email: nancy_torre@hotmail.com
Category: Angst, , Drama
Pairing: Jack/other
Spoilers: Fail Safe
Season: 5
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: language, violence
Status: Completed
Summary: Jack gets left behind again only with the woman in his life is much younger!
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: Special thanks to Anu and Corine for beta reading parts of this.

SG-1 had just finished their initial survey of P3F611, also known by its inhabitants as Namar. The small planet was the fifth from its sun with two moons. Its lush terra firma and moderate climate made it a perfect agricultural planet, but it had few rich mineral deposits. The people of Namar functioned to what would have been equal to one of earth's agricultural societies of the late 1600's. The agrarian population consisted of about five thousand people who lived in one central valley area. According to the elders, a plague had nearly wiped out the entire population years before, and the population was just beginning to thrive again. The combination of plague and few desirable minerals was probably what kept the Goa'uld away.

"Well, according to Benjamin, the elder of the village, no one has come through the gate during his lifetime. He looks to be at least seventy years old, so maybe the Goa'uld decided this planet was not worth the effort for the past century," Daniel reported to the other three members of the team as they sat under a shade tree.

"I've taken soil samples and obtained specimens of several plants that the medicine woman reported were beneficial in healing. Although there is no naquada, this planet looks like a vacation paradise," Sam added as she packed away the last of her samples.

"The people appear to be very passive. I found no evidence of weapons except objects that are used for hunting and farming," the large Jaffa stated impassively.

"Yep, sitting ducks for our friends the snakeheads," Jack summarized sarcastically and shook his head with concern as a group of children played nearby without a care in the world.

Teal'c raised an eyebrow at his CO's remark, but elected to not comment.

Daniel smirked, "Sitting ducks is an expression meaning they would be easy prey for the Goa'uld if they decided to invade this planet."

"I knew that, Daniel Jackson. Colonel O'Neill used the term to describe you and Major Carter when we played the game poker." Teal'c replied matter of factly.

"Is that so?" Daniel responded as he and Sam gave their commanding officer a sharp glare.

Jack grimaced, "Daniel, face it, you start drumming your fingers whenever you have a good hand, and Sam gets that look." Jack emphasized his statement with his hands.

"And just what look would that be, Sir?" Sam folded her arms across her chest.

Daniel looked over at Sam and nodded, "I know what you mean. I never thought about it."

"What look?" Sam became slightly agitated.

"You know." Jack added.

"THAT look." Daniel and Jack said in sync.

"Well, what about Teal'c?" Sam asked defensively.

"Teal'c is a natural at bluffing. He's got THAT look down for every hand." Jack added with a shrug and changed the subject. "We better say goodnight Gracie and hit the road before it gets dark."

"I did not meet this Gracie." Teal'c responded as they packed up and headed towards the village.

"Oh, you know, she's married to George." Jack replied as Sam and Daniel chuckled at the Jaffa's gullibility.

"I see, she appeared on one of the early television programs with George Burns." Teal'c nodded. "I believe she and George Burns are now dead, O'Neill."

Jack responded on cue. "Another good show bites the dust. I guess I'll have to start watching 'Ozzie and Harriet'."

"I believe those actors are also deceased." Teal'c replied in his typical stoic fashion.

"Not them too!" Jack slapped his thigh in mock indignation.

"Do not be concerned, O'Neill. Your television has a system referred to as reruns. These shows can be viewed on the TV land network." The large black warrior answered coolly.

Jack frowned. "Teal'c, you watch too much TV."

**********

After leaving the village, SG-l made their way to the Stargate located about a mile from the village. As they approached the location, the familiar swooshing sound of the gate being activated was heard. Taking cover, they observed twenty or more Jaffa exiting the event horizon and marching towards the village. An additional group of ten or more remained to guard the gate.

"We've got to help those people!" Daniel whispered excitedly to Jack.

"Carter! You and Daniel stay here and watch the gate for more Jaffa. Teal'c, come with me." Jack ordered.

Stealthily they followed the company of Jaffa back towards the village. As soon as the Jaffa reached the village, they began firing on the unprepared people of Namar. Jack and Teal'c hid above the ambush and opened up fire on the surprised Jaffa taking down at least half before receiving return fire.

Jack's radio crackled, "Colonel! It looks like two more companies of Jaffa just came through the gate!" Carter's voice reported. "Sir, we're out numbered. There are a least forty more!"

"Stay out of sight! So far, we haven't been identified, but we certainly stirred up a hornet's nest here. Out."

Jack gestured for Teal'c to ease away from their hiding place. "Teal'c, Carter reported another forty or more Jaffa just came through the gate heading our way. Maybe we gave those people enough time to get away."

"They are Osiris's Jaffa. They do not plan on taking prisoners." Teal'c watched Jack's face whence at the meaning of his statement.

A sudden loud explosion in the village caught their attention. Several Goa'uld gliders appeared over the mountains and began firing continuously onto the village. "Let's get out of here!"

Taking a longer route in the woods, Jack and Teal'c intercepted Sam and Daniel near the gate where ten Jaffa had remained at guard.

"We need to get out of here now. Sam, you take those two on the right, Teal'c, you take the three in the middle. I'll go for the three on the left. Daniel, take the two by the DHD and as soon as possible dial home.! We will provide cover. On the count of three." Jack whispered harshly. "One, two, three."

They fired on the unprepared guards dropping at least six immediately before receiving return fire. Again the team fired upon the exposed Jaffa and regained control of the gate. Daniel ran to the DHD and quickly dialed as they began to receive fire from another band of approaching Jaffa. "Hurry, Daniel!"

The familiar shimmering blue field formed as the team worked their way towards it while firing. "GO, GO, GO!" Jack ordered as he fired. Daniel and Carter ran first into the event horizon. Jack looked towards Teal'c and gestured for him to go through next. Jack continued to provide cover fire as Teal'c darted through the gate when he noted a group of villagers running towards the gate in the path of the Jaffa.

"NOOOO! Go back!" he screamed and continued to fire, hoping to prevent the group from the staff weapons.Several villagers fell to the ground while at least three continued to run towards Jack. Jack could hear the wormhole began to destabilize behind him.

"Shit!" Jack continued to fire as he ran away from the gate towards the trio dodging the surges from the staff weapons. He grabbed a woman and shoved her towards a group of trees when a sudden barrage of fire from several staff weapons hit around them. Jack felt the woman go limp as he pushed her behind a tree. The other two villagers tumbled next to them dead. Realizing he used up all of his ammunition, he quickly stripped off his jacket and cap. Jack then placed the weapon on one of the dead men along with his cap and jacket hoping to bluff the Jaffa into believing they had killed them all. He then picked up the unconscious woman and ran deeper into the woods until he found a cave.

He nearly collapsed into the cool dark shelter as he lay the injured woman on the ground. For the first time, he got a good look at her. "Oh no."

The young woman had a massive staff wound to her upper chest and was struggling to breathe. She also was very pregnant.

part 3

Jack rigged a sling over his shoulder where he put the little bundle so he could travel and have his hands free at the same time. The infant had grown less satisfied with the water, and Jack knew he needed to find milk or the child would so be in trouble.

Carefully he approached one of the farmhouses on the edge of the Jaffa occupied village. The owners were obviously victims of the Jaffa's bloody raid as traces of a struggle remained. Jack gathered additional clothing for himself and several blankets. He looked around for something to feed the infant with and came up with a leather water pouch. He then quickly scanned the grounds and spotted what he hoped to find. "Breakfast!" A goat nursing it's young kid stood tied to a fence post.

Pleased with the results of his scavenger hunt, he and the baby along with the two goats returned to their hiding place in the woods. Jack managed to milk the goat and place the fresh warm milk into the leather pouch. Carefully he punctured a small hole in one of the corners and offered it to the fussy infant. "Come on, you know you're hungry Sweetie!" Jack pleaded. No matter how he tried the baby refused to drink from the makeshift nipple. He would dip his little finger into the goat milk and the tiny mouth sucked it furiously, but would began to cry every time he placed the tip of the water bag into its mouth. Finally, he pushed the tip of the bag in with his finger at the same time. This seemed to work, and he eased his finger away as the infant hungrily continued to suckle the tip of the bag. "Good girl!" He smiled as he watched her dark eyes try to focus at his face while her mouth maintained a continuous motion.

"I guess you need a name besides Sweetie." He grinned as she continued to watch his face. "You don't want to be called something that the kids in school will make fun of you later like Bertha or Pricilla. Pricilla would be shortened to Prissy and that sounds like the name of a pig. Nah. No hippie names either like Moonbeam or Little Star. Too retro. What about Gracie?" He watched her face cloud up ready to cry. "Okay, okay I got the message. How would you like to be named after my favorite aunt? Mary Kathleen O'Neill?" He waited expectantly for a response.

"I could call you Katie for short." He stroked her tiny head as her eyes closed contentedly and her mouth relaxed. "Katie girl it is." He whispered as he propped her up against his shoulder and patted her back waiting for a burp.

*****

Jack continued to monitor the gate from a distance only to find it heavily guarded with more Jaffa coming through each day. "Damn, the neighborhood sure has gone down!" He mumbled to Katie who was snuggled closely to his chest in the make shift carrier happily sucking on his little finger. "We've got to figure a way out of here. Hammond is not going to send in reinforcements. They would be ambushed immediately." He sighed and placed his telescopic spotter back into his pocket.

He took a deep whiff of the air around him and grimaced, "Oh Katie! I hate when you do that! Whoever thinks baby crap is sweet must be crazy. Let's go home and get you and I changed. You know all I do is wash clothes and feed you. I have an idea, I'll just put a couple of your diapers around the gate and all those snakeheads will pass out. Ya think?" He scolded gently as the two headed back to their secluded quarters in the forest.

part 4

"Sir, it's been nearly a month. When are we going to try to get Colonel O'Neill?" Sam spoke earnestly to General Hammond as they all sat around the conference table.

"As you well know Major, we and the Tok'ra are continuing to monitor P3F611. I am as concerned about Colonel O'Neill's condition as the rest of you, but the Goa'uld are continuing to send in large numbers of Jaffa, and we need to know what's going on. The Tok'ra are hesitant to send in an undercover operative at this point. If Colonel O'Neill is still alive, he may be gathering important information."

"If he's alive?" Daniel blurted out incredulously.

"I believe General, that Colonel O'Neill is alive, but how long do you think he can continue to avoid detection?" Teal'c added. "He would never leave any team member behind." His voice was steely.

Hammond knew he was dealing more with the team's emotions than logic. He too struggled with the decision to postpone any rescue attempt as the danger continued to escalate. However, he also knew that Jack would not allow anyone to jeopardize his or her life in a misguided rescue attempt. "You will continue to stand down SG-1. That is an order!" He barked and left the room feeling the icy glares of SG-1 as he departed.

"Are we just going to sit around and do nothing! This is Jack we're talking about!" Daniel demanded after Hammond left them alone.

"I've put in a call to Jacob. I'm hoping he can influence the Tok'ra. I told him of our theories as to why the sudden interest in P3F611. We should be hearing from him in the next twenty-four hours," Sam replied to her two worried teammates.

*******

Jack in the meantime was using what he could to make crude weapons and booby traps. He either kept Katie next to him or suspended in a tree in her cradle sling within eyesight at all times. It took twenty-hour days to keep the two of them as well as the pair of goats fed and safe. Katie would still wake up about every two to four hours wanting to eat, and the lack of sleep was beginning to take a toll on Jack.

"Katie girl, I've got to get some sleep. Do you think you could do me a favor and try to sleep all night?" Jack pleaded after feeding and diapering the almost month old infant. Katie made what looked to be a grin and cooed softly. "Don't give me those sweet eyes. I've been around women like you. They give you those sweet eyes and the next thing you know they have you wrapped around their little finger." Jack replied as Katie kicked and cooed in response. "You're not even sleepy." He sighed wearily as she continued to make little throaty sounds.

"Alright, one story and then it's beddy-bye time!" He leaned back on his bedroll, pulled her on top of his chest, and looked up at the stars. "Once upon a time, there were three bears. Not the same one with the hot cream of wheat, but three bears that traveled the stars with their friend Goldielocks. Goldielocks was a real looker and smart too. Anyway, one bear was big and strong and didn't have much of a sense of humor, another was a little geeky, but could speak the languages of the other animals, and the last bear liked to fish and was very wise..."

****Jacob Carter sat in the conference room with Hammond, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel. "Our intel agrees with your theory that the plant life on Namar may contain an antidote for our poison." He looked to Sam and then dropped his gaze as he continued. "We believe that the planet should be destroyed to prevent them from developing the antidote."

"The Pentagon suggests a nuclear bomb should be sent through the wormhole," Hammond added tonelessly.

"What!" Daniel almost stood up and climbed across the table.

"You're using our theory as an excuse to kill Colonel O'Neill," Sam frowned in disbelief as Hammond looked uncomfortably at the team.

"Sam, I know that there is a chance that Jack is still alive, but if the Goa'uld develop an antidote, it will take years for us to develop another effective strategy to destroy them. Jack would understand." Jacob explained somberly.

"If Colonel O'Neill's life is considered an acceptable casualty, then so must mine. I choose to go to Namar to attempt to rescue O'Neill." The large Jaffa hissed.

"That goes for me too." Daniel added.

"That makes three of us." Sam responded.

"I can't allow you to do that." Hammond's voice was quiet, but firm.

"Sir!"

"We cannot afford to loose anymore of our people. You are too valuable." Hammond felt his chest tighten as he contemplated the decision.

"And Jack's not?" Daniel spat angrily and stormed from the room.

*****

Jack awoke suddenly as his senses alerted him that something was amiss. Katie was sleeping soundly on his chest. Carefully placing her on a mossy palate, he reached for his knife and eased on his boots. The sound grew louder indicating someone was approaching. He slipped Katie into her carrier.

Stealthily he eased away from the campsite and waited. Two Jaffa wondered into the hidden campsite and began investigating. "Ah crap." Jack whispered as they touched the warm embers from his campfire. The Jaffa spotted the goats and before Jack could intervene they zatted the goats several times killing them immediately.

Jack carefully removed Katie and hid her securely behind an outcropping of rocks. He watched as the Jaffa separated searching for the owners of the goats. Quietly Jack took one by surprise, covering his mouth too block any screams while he jabbed the warrior fatally in the chest. The Jaffa's eyes glowed eerily as Jack eased the dead man behind several bushes. He then took the zat and waited for the other.

Jack took aim at the dead Jaffa's companion and was just about to fire when a sudden blast from a staff weapon caught him in the thigh. He managed to fire and knock out the second, but he didn't realize there were three. The third remained hidden as Jack forced himself to refrain from moaning at the intense pain caused by the staff burn. Damn it hurt. He slowed his ragged breathing and listened for any movement. At that moment, Katie decided to begin whimpering breaking the tense silence.

Jack felt a rush of panic. Katie was a good twenty feet away from him, but closer to the Jaffa. He attempted to move from behind his cover and barely dodged several blasts. "Come on after me you snakehead bastard!" He yelled hoping the Jaffa would ignore Katie.

Beads of sweat dripped down his face and neck as the combination of pain and fear began to try to overpower him. He drew in a deep breath and refocused on his enemy. Jack heard the soft sounds of leaves crackling as the warrior made his way towards the infant. "Shit, shit, shit!" He hissed to himself.

The Jaffa called out. O'Neill looked over his rocky cover enough to see the huge Jaffa holding Katie with a large shit-eating grin plastered across his face. Jack O'Neill didn't have to understand Gou'ald to know that the warrior was threatening the infant if he didn't come out. His mind raced as he considered his options. If he tried to use the Zat, Katie could be injured. If he remained hidden much longer, Katie would be dead. Option three, Jack carefully slid his knife into his sleeve, and stood up with his hands in the air.

The big Jaffa sat Katie on the ground and pointed his staff weapon at the helpless baby. Jack silently cursed the warrior with every vile word in his vocabulary as he walked towards the pair.

"I give up. Just don't hurt the child, you piece of snake shit." Jack sneered as the Jaffa lifted up the staff weapon and pointed it at him. The warrior then ordered Jack down on his knees. Jack slowly complied. Then with a sudden cold grin the Jaffa turned the staff weapon and pointed it at Katie ready to fire. "Noooo!"

Part 5

As staff weapon lit up and hummed, Jack reflexively threw his hidden weapon catching the surprised Jaffa in the shoulder. The staff weapon fired, but missed Katie by at least ten feet as he jerked involuntarily at the pain. Jack pushed up on his good leg and tackled the stunned man sending them both to the ground.

The Jaffa had managed to grab the hub of the knife and pull it away from his bleeding shoulder and thrust it at Jack. Jack deflected it and grabbed at the arm holding the knife. The two battled for control as the wounded Jaffa fought like a wild animal cutting Jack on his shoulder. "Arrugh!" The pain coursed through him causing his vision to briefly tan out. Jack used what remaining strength he had to lean against the man forcing the weapon between them. The hands holding the knife trembled as both men struggled to kill the other. Somewhere in the distance, Jack heard Katie's screaming cries of terror. A sudden surge of adrenaline kicked in giving him the strength to push the knife into the gut of his attacker.

Jack felt the sudden release of tension and saw the man's eyes glow and then go blank. Slowly Jack rolled off the dead Jaffa and lay on the ground in exhaustion, but Katie's cries kept him from surrendering to a blessed state of unconsciousness. Slowly, he rolled onto his hands and knees, crawled over to the writhing infant, and scooped her up. With trembling hands he held and rocked the hysterical infant. She finally seemed to quiet, and he relaxed his hold. Laying her on his lap he looked at her blanket. Panic again welled up as he saw it saturated with blood. He quickly removed the cover to inspect her for injury. Relief replaced the panic when he discovered that she was fine. He looked down to see that the blood came from the wound on his shoulder.

****

Katie felt like she had gained weight tenfold as Jack managed to get them back to their camp. He took her blooded blanket, made a pressure bandage for his shoulder, and opted to leave the staff burn to his thigh alone. Katie whimpered hungrily as he changed and wrapped her in a clean piece of fabric. He looked forlornly at the dead goats. No more milk.

He fixed her some water in the bottle bag and lay back to rest. "Katie girl, looks like we need to try to get out of Dodge...This wasn't such a great place to raise a kid anyway, no schools, no churches, and the neighbors suck! Every time you turn around they try to zat you or blast you. And worst of all they kill your pets." He mumbled with his sarcastic humor before passing out.

****

Teal'c stood up and stretched after meditating for several hours. He then methodically began to pack. A soft knock interrupted his task. "Teal'c are you leaving?" Daniel observed.

"I must leave Daniel Jackson. I cannot stand by and allow O'Neill to die without attempting to aid him."

"Hammond will not let you go to Namar."

"I will leave and go to my home planet from their I will go to Namar. I have obtained the coordinates from Major Carter. It has been an honor to have known you Daniel Jackson." Teal'c held his hand out in an uncharacteristic gesture.

Daniel took the hand and shook it. "When are you leaving?"

"I have made arrangements to leave within the hour. There is not much time left."

Daniel nodded and eased away from the Jaffa.

***

An hour later Teal'c stood in the gateroom as the familiar blue pool formed.He took a couple of steps up the ramp. "Wait!"

He turned to see Daniel and Sam geared up. "We convinced General Hammond, that we needed to make sure you got home safely." Daniel grinned.

Teal'c raised his eyebrow and a hint of a smile formed across his features.

Part 6

Jack woke up feeling light-headed and confused. It was getting dark, and Katie was crying inconsolably. He picked up her water bag and offered it, but she would suck a little while and then push it out of her mouth and cried even louder.

He lifted her to his good shoulder wincing at the pain, and patted her. "I know, you're hungry." He rocked back and forth as the stars began to brighten in the sky. He felt miserable. The wounds on his shoulder and thigh were throbbing unmercifully, and he felt helpless knowing he didn't have any thing for Katie to eat.

He began to sing in his slightly off key gruff voice. "My wild Irish Rose, the sweetest flower that grows, you may search everywhere, but none can compare, with my wild Irish Rose..." He hummed the next verse as Katie calmly took his little finger and sucked contentedly on it until she drifted to an exhausted sleep.

Stiffly he managed to stand, placed a zat in his belt, and used a staff weapon as a cane. He unbuttoned his shirt, slid the sleeping Katie down next to his chest, and buttoned it. Sluggishly he moved towards the Stargate, praying that they could find someway to escape. The Jaffa would come looking for their missing comrades soon.

Several hours later, Jack leaned heavily against a tree and looked at the solidly guarded Stargate. He rubbed his forehead in frustration as his pain and weariness threatened to overtake him. If he could run, maybe he could draw them into the series of a booby traps he had set on the outer perimeter, but that was not an option now. Even if he could blast them with the staff weapon, there were too many of them. He looked up to the stars searching for a miracle. "Any help you can give us now would be appreciated," he mumbled a desperate prayer.

Suddenly the gate activated and the blue swirling pool appeared. The Jaffa guards ran towards the gate with all their weapons aimed anticipating any traveler that exited. A ball bounced out of the event horizon and rolled to a stop. The Jaffa congregated around the harmless looking object just in time to be caught by its sudden deadly exploding force.

Jack immediately reacted and picked up the staff weapon and began to pick off the guards not affected by the bomb.

Teal'c appeared first continuously firing a staff weapon as Sam and Daniel followed.

Jack scrambled to his feet and hobbled towards the gate while the skirmish continued like a fireworks display on the forth of July. Teal'c spotted his missing CO and ran over to assist him to cover. The wormhole had disengaged, but Carter and Daniel maintained control of the DHD.

"Teal'c, has anyone ever told you that you have perfect timing?" Jack panted as they moved towards the other members of SG-1.

"Dial home!" Carter yelled as she observed Teal'c half dragging Jack towards the gate.

The blue swoosh appeared as they continued to provide cover fire for Jack and Teal'c while they made it to the gate's entry. Teal'c shoved Jack through the event horizon with Carter and Daniel following immediately behind.

"Off world activation!" Sergeant Siler reported as the alarms in the gateroom signaled incoming travelers. Hammond appeared next to the control panel.

"It's SG-1." Siler observed.

"They weren't due back until tomorrow." Hammond said with a slight smile on his lips. 'It was better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission' the big hearted general thought. "Better get a medical team down there, Sergeant." He ordered and made his way down to the gateroom to wait for SG-1.

Jack would have tumbled headfirst if Teal'c hadn't maintained a strong hold on him as they landed on the ramp followed by Daniel and Sam.

Hammond sighed in relief as he recognized his second in command. "Colonel O'Neill, I didn't realize you were on Teal'c's home planet."

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c shared a quick glance, "Surprised us too, Sir." Sam grinned.

"It's good to be back Sir." Jack's words faded as he began to slump. Teal'c and Daniel eased their friend to the ground as Janet appeared next to them.

The first thing they noticed was the squirming bulge under Jack's shirt. "A Goa'uld?" Daniel shot a concerned look as Janet cautiously unbuttoned the blooded shirt.

Jack muttered as he gave in to the darkness. "Just Katie girl."

"My god, it's a baby!" Janet reached in and pulled the whining infant away from Jack. Katie furiously sucked on her fists and began to cry loudly as she missed the warmth of her cocoon.

"I'm sure Colonel O'Neill has quite a story, but let's get him to the infirmary." Hammond ordered.

***

Hours later, Jack groggily opened his eyes to the bright lights of the infirmary and the sound of an infant crying. Slowly he focused on a figure hovering nearby.

"Jack? Are you awake?" Daniel's worried voice drew him away from his comfortable sleepy world.

His thoughts were like molasses as he tried to remember why he was so tired. "Let me sleep just a little longer, kay?" He managed to mumble.

"Jack, you need to wake up. That baby you brought back with you has been crying nearly non stop." Daniel continued insistently.

"Is is a boy or a girl?" Jack still couldn't make sense of anything.

"It's a girl." Daniel replied.

"That's nice." Jack drifted again only to have Daniel gently shake his arm.

"Owww, don't do that Daniel. Hurtz" He mumbled.

"O'Neill." Teal'c deep voice this time penetrated his drowsy mind.

"What Teal'c?" He muttered wishing everyone would just let him sleep.

"The infant you brought from Namar will not be comforted." He explained to his drugged hazed CO.

Somewhere the synapses in Jack's brain finally began to connect. "Katie?"

"The infant from Namar. I do not know her name." Teal'c continued.

Sam approached this time with a bundle of crying baby in her arms. "Sir, could you tell us anything about the baby. We can't get her to stop crying. Janet says that she doesn't appear to be sick."

Jack shook the cobwebs from his brain and tried to sit up. His shoulder quickly reminded him that he wasn't functioning to full capacity. "Damn." He moaned and tried again. This time Daniel pushed him back and proceeded to raise the head of the bed with the remote. Jack held out his good arm for the baby.

Sam looked hesitantly towards Janet who nodded her approval. "Just stay close."

Katie was crying almost hysterically by the time she was placed on Jack's chest.

"Katie girl! What have they been doing to you?" Jack looked sharply around to his team members and Janet.

"Janet and Sam tried to give her a bottle. Teal'c tried walking her, and I rocked her, but nothing's working. Janet may have to give her fluids by IV, if she doesn't start to eat." Daniel explained nervously pushing his glasses further back on the bridge of his nose.

"Give me the bottle." Jack sighed tiredly.

He had difficulty holding Katie in his good arm and using the injured one to hold the bottle. He first dripped a few drops of formula on to his little finger and handed the bottle for Daniel to hold. Katie's little mouth opened like a little baby bird waiting to be fed as Jack placed his finger into her mouth. Like magic, she began to suck as he repeated the procedure again until she seemed to adjust to the formula. He then eased the nipple into her mouth and removed his finger. The group watched in awe as she hungrily sucked on the bottle.

"Well, I'll be." Janet proclaimed as they watched the infant respond to Jack.

Seeing Jack slowly begin to drift to sleep, Sam took the bottle and held it for Katie while Jack's arm went limp.

"The infant child has apparently bonded with O'Neill." Teal'c almost smiled at the site of the sleeping Colonel holding the contented infant.

"This baby couldn't be over a month old. The Colonel must have found her right after she was born." Janet added mesmerized by the infant.

"Jack called her Katie." Daniel said and gently stroked the infant's head.

"He must have taken care of her since her birth." Sam grinned as Katie sleepily sucked the bottle. She couldn't decide who looked more peaceful, Katie or Jack.

"Jack needs his rest and so does Katie." Janet carefully extricated the sleeping baby and covered Jack up.

The group followed Janet into the next room where a makeshift baby bed was set up. Gently Janet placed Katie in the bed and covered her. Daniel, Teal'c, Sam and Janet stood silently watching the shallow unsteady breathing of the infant.

"How did Jack do that?" Daniel whispered finally breaking the reverie.

"Do what?" Sam whispered.

"Take care of an infant while fighting off Jaffa?"

"He's Jack, what more can you say." Hammond's whispered voice startled the group. "Besides I thought he was on Teal'c home world." He added with a glint in his eyes.

part 7

Several days later, Jack languidly entered the conference room wearing a sling and leaning heavily on a cane. Janet had allowed him out of the infirmary to meet with a delegation including representatives from the Pentagon and the Tokra, as well as the General and SG-1.

They still planned to destroy the planet, but since Jack's return there was concern, that other natives of the planet had survived. O'Neill recounted the events of what happened after the others escaped, leaving no doubt that Katie was in all probability the only survivor of the planet.

The Tokra and the advisors of the Pentagon continued to quiz Colonel O'Neill about details when Dr. Frazier quietly entered the room. "Dr. Frazier?" General Hammond stopped the meeting and looked to his CMO.

"Sir, I need Colonel O'Neill." She looked around the room at the impressive group.

"Now? We are in an important meeting."

"Sir, the Colonel really shouldn't be here to begin with." Janet countered standing her ground as Jack gave her a confused look.

"I believe if we have anymore questions for the Colonel, they can be addressed later." The General excused O'Neill. Teal'c received a contemptuous glare from the stubborn Colonel as he assisted him to stand. As soon as Jack cleared the room, Janet led him down the corridor towards the infirmary.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Katie is at it again. She will not eat for anyone, but you Sir." Janet explained as they entered the sick bay to find a nurse walking the crying infant around the room. Jack eased into a rocking chair placed especially for Katie and took the baby and bottle from the nurse. As if on cue, Katie quieted and suckled the bottle obediently.

Jack looked at the two women standing in front of him, "Now what is the problem?"

In truth, Jack had grown a little tired of the meeting. Holding and rocking Katie gave him a sense of peace and happiness that he had not felt in a long time. As he rocked, he allowed himself to remember a time when he held another child, Charlie. Softly he began to hum and sing, "Hush little baby don't say a word, Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird. If that mockingbird don't sing..." Katie's eyes remained steadfast on Jack's face as she lay nestled in his arm.

"I bet he was a great father." Sam's eyes glistened as she stood next to Daniel, Teal'c and Janet as they observed the tender moment unbeknownst to Jack.

"What's going to happen to Katie?" Daniel asked Janet with concern.

"I've talked with the Colonel about that. He wants her to have a full set of parents." Janet's eyes also seem to shine.

****

Jack had remained at the complex after being released from the infirmary mostly to help take care of Katie. He had worked with several of the nurses as well as Janet, Sam and even Teal'c to get Katie to take a bottle from someone other than himself.

Jack limped into the infirmary to feed Katie her afternoon bottle when he found Janet with a couple in their middle thirties holding Katie. "Colonel O'Neill, this is Captain Mike Williams and his wife Virginia. He's a doctor at the Academy Hospital." Janet could see a flicker of sadness cross Jack's face.

The Captain extended his hand with a large smile. "I've heard so much about you Colonel. My wife and I have been on the lists for an adoption for almost five years now. We can't have kids, and we've always wanted a big family." He babbled.

Jack nodded with a halfhearted smile as he watched the woman cradle Katie and talk to her sweetly. "What kind of doctor?" Were the first words that popped out of his mouth.

"Sir? Oh I'm a radiologist. I read and interpret diagnostic x-rays. My wife is a kindergarten teacher, but she plans on staying home to take care of Katie if we get to adopt her, that is." The younger officer explained. His wife gave him a worried look as he mentioned the last part.

"Colonel, we love children. We have references that will vouch that we will try to be good parents," she pleaded and caressed Katie even more.

Jack nodded and looked to Janet who added, "Sir, I've known Captain Williams and his wife ever since I've been assigned here. He's worked with us on several classified projects. They are good people." Jack looked at his feet uncomfortably. He realized they were asking his permission for the adoption although he had no legal rights to the child.

He felt the tension in the room as they waited for a response. Jack swallowed slowly and took a deep breath. "Do you know any good stories? Katie likes to be told stories. She likes to be sung to, but you don't have to be good at that." He gave a half smile.

"Yes Sir! We will read to her every night!" The tension gave way to excitement as the Captain shook Jack's hand until Jack almost had to ask for it back. Virginia passed Katie over to her husband, gave Jack a big hug and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for finding her for us. We've been praying a long time for her." She whispered through tears.

Jack looked ill at ease with all the emotion. "Where will you be living?"

"I'm leaving the Air Force and moving to my home city of Baltimore." Williams explained, "We want Katie to have a stable home life with ties to our families."

"Ah...Baltimore? Of course you need to be near family." His voice cracked a little as Janet winced sympathetically at the pain this must be causing him. "I have some reports I need to finish." He stammered and gave Katie one last pat on the head.

"Sir! We plan to keep the name you gave her, Mary Kathleen." Williams called out as Jack left the infirmary and walked numbly back to his office.

He opened the door to find Sam, Daniel and Teal'c waiting. "We heard. Are you okay?" Daniel offered.

"Yes, sure, youbetcha." Jack fumbled through the objects on his desk.

"Why don't we blow this joint and go get something to eat." Sam suggested.

"You go ahead. I think I'd rather...go home." Jack picked up his keys and jacket and limped towards the elevators.

Daniel and Sam started after him when Teal'c called to them. "I believe it would be best to allow O'Neill time alone."

Jack made it to his truck and started the engine when he became aware of someone tapping at his window. He turned off the engine and opened the door.

"Colonel O'Neill?" Virginia Williams smiled softly as she held Katie. "You left so suddenly we didn't get a chance to give you our address and phone number. We would like you to be a part of Katie's life. These days it takes a lot to raise a child." She handed Jack an envelope. Katie cooed and bobbled her head so that she could see him better. "Katie wanted to tell you good bye." Virginia handed Katie to Jack and walked away to their vehicle.

Jack looked at the dark eyed infant and smiled as she stretched her mouth in a big yawn. "You've got to be a good girl now. Your mother would want you to be happy. One day when you are older, I will tell you about her. I didn't know her but for a few moments, but she was a very brave person." He paused and let her tiny hand wrap around his finger, "You can have a real family, a new mom to bake you cookies and buy you little dresses. I'm not good at the baking cookies or the dress thing. Your new dad is a doctor, pretty smart guy I guess. Your mom's a teacher, so you'll have to do all your homework," he ordered gently. "When you're older I'll come see you, and I'll get you a dog. Every kid's suppose to have a dog." His voice cracked as a restrained tear escaped. He pulled her against his chest and kissed the top of her head. "Your people are gone, your planet is gone, so you are one of a kind. That means you are special. Always remember you are special. When I look up in the sky at night, I'll always remember you Mary Kathleen, my Katie girl. Just like I do Charlie."

*********

Jack sat gazing through his telescope at the starlit night when the sound of car doors shutting broke the silence followed by stepping noises on his ladder.

"Daniel, Sam, Teal'c." He greeted without moving away from the eyepiece.

"Hey Jack."

"Colonel."

"O'Neill."

"It's a good night for looking up in the sky." Jack sat back and gave his friends one of his half smiles while humming 'My Wild Irish Rose'.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Authorrn